Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,641 members, 7,851,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2771) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11870051 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2768) (2769) (2770) (2771) (2772) (2773) (2774) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:24am On Feb 05, 2018
Conceding 4 goals in a match irrespective of the manner does not look good for any keeper.
Yesterday’s performance dented his perfect stats in SE colors, but we can’t blame him for the loss.

Kog45:
I think Rohr is watching and as a coach he must know a good keeper even if the keeper concedes 12 goals in a match.

It's simple the goalkeeper stats would be the benchmark.

Ajiboye against Morocco had 26 shots 12 on targets and conceded 4 goals saved 8 in 90 minutes rating 7/10.I believe this should solve the whole issue.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:28am On Feb 05, 2018
Joebie:
Lol u are only confusing yourself or maybe I’m confusing you. I’ve never said Ezenwa is better. I’ve always maintained Ajiboye is better.
However Ezenwa has always been ahead and still is because of the opportunities he has had and his better stats in SE colors.

By my saying they are in the same league does not mean they are equals. Come to think of it, two players can hardly be equals. I don’t see either of them giving us the required cover between the sticks at the World Cup as homebased keepers.

And I said earlier Ezenwa is not “far ahead” of Ajiboye in response to that moniker. Ajiboye is also not far ahead. They both have weaknesses and strengths, but from what I’ve seen from both of them, in all, Ajiboye is better. Of course that opinion can change if Ajiboye gets more opportunities with SE (like Ezenwa) and fumbles.

My major question is would Ezenwa have saves us against Morocco even with what i saw yesterday Enyeama cannot save us,so i don't see any reason for Ajiboye bashing,the stats showed us his performance and not bad but sometimes not good to concede heavily in a match.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:31am On Feb 05, 2018
This comment is filled up with ignorance!

Where insurance of Benin dey?
Ubahfc? Happening players there are not Nigerians.
For MFM, they sold their happening players already (Odey), Ifeanyi made the list but (sold to Akwa though) and we saw his red card offence before now.

Those who went to Spain for the invitational tournament, most aren't in the league again and part of those that went made the selection.

Too many ignorant people talking, now they are trying to bring religion into it!
TheGoodJoe:
Some interesting comments:

Truly speaking, this group of players cannot be said to be the best in our local league. Even though they were hurriedly selected, I see some nepotic and religious spicing in the list. How many players came from MFN, Ifeanyi Uba, Insurance etc. Last year Nigeria local based were carefully selected to Spain for a tour, I saw some of the great games they played against some Spanish club team, in fact they played quality football. By Vindave
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:31am On Feb 05, 2018
Joebie:
Conceding 4 goals in a match irrespective of the manner does not look good for any keeper.
Yesterday’s performance dented his perfect stats in SE colors, but we can’t blame him for the loss.

Yes you are right,goalkeepers hate conceding heavily in a match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:32am On Feb 05, 2018
Good response from an enlightened fellow.
TheGoodJoe:
Which Insurance? The one that has been stuck in Division Two? :roll:Who from MFM is missing from this team? Apart from Stephen Odey who is now overseas? Meanwhile, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Stephen Ezeh were at Ifeanyi Ubah when they were called up for the team. We should always be ready for introspection when we lose. That's the only real 'benefit' of losing (to review, learn, correct and do better next time), but sadly in Nigeria the instinct is almost always to go to the DARK and BASE place - ethnicity, religion, etc. Unfortunately, because we miss the real problems (and chase shadows) we keep repeating our mistakes. SMDH... By Gotti
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:33am On Feb 05, 2018
Exactly. Who knows, it could have been worse with Ezenwa.

Kog45:
My major question is would Ezenwa have saves us against Morocco even with what i saw yesterday Enyeama cannot save us,so i don't see any reason for Ajiboye bashing,the stats showed us his performance and not bad but sometimes not good to concede heavily in a match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:36am On Feb 05, 2018
I actually dropped about 3 names.
Icon4s:

That is a personal opinion.

And yes the team that went to Spain played better football than this team just also like the last two CHAN teams played better football. But a lot of those players have left the local league. These are the ones around now.

The league cannot simply give what it does not have. That is my point. And if you know any player that deserved to be in this team but was left out please mention the name and let's discuss it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:40am On Feb 05, 2018
Question is how many of those players still play in the league? Even if we had kept fate with plenty of them people would have still complained. But most likely, we would have seen a better cohesive team.

Looking at the bright side, they didn’t do badly considering FIFA rankings. It was a good thing we were lucky to get to the finals. But let’s look at the team for what it truly is.

With a better league standard, selection will be an easier process. What we have here is even if we picked the highest goal scorers, there is still no guarantee that they are the best. It sounds stupid but that’s the reality of our league

TheGoodJoe:
Some interesting comments:

Truly speaking, this group of players cannot be said to be the best in our local league. Even though they were hurriedly selected, I see some nepotic and religious spicing in the list. How many players came from MFN, Ifeanyi Uba, Insurance etc. Last year Nigeria local based were carefully selected to Spain for a tour, I saw some of the great games they played against some Spanish club team, in fact they played quality football. By Vindave
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:56am On Feb 05, 2018
I just read them.. still very relevant.

TheSuperNerd:
Tuned in and watching Sir Tbaba1234's special short documentary titled.... "battle of the goalies" cool

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:21am On Feb 05, 2018
Joebie:
Ezenwa is not far better than Ajiboye. You are just emotional after the loss. They are in the same league.

What does not being not far better mean?

Better, but not far better. Or I no understand English again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:23am On Feb 05, 2018
So luck and keeper heroic ran out yesterday. Assuming we won, we would have been very undeserving winner.

-Truth is our league is devoid of talents.
-The team is not also true representative of the best. For instance, Gabriel is not a starter at Akwa United, yet he made the team. That's one that I know. There may be others too like that in this very team.
-The team was also technically deficient. With one man down, we should have been more defensive to keep the scoreline a bit respectable.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:41am On Feb 05, 2018
Take nothing away from Morocco because at some moments they were top notch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:10am On Feb 05, 2018
Loanees Ideye, Emenike, Etebo, Isaac Success clash in La Liga relegation dog fight

By admin -
February 5, 2018, 9:24 am

As many as four Nigeria stars could be in action in La Liga tonight when strugglers UD Las Palmas welcome Malaga – Brown Ideye and Isaac Success, Emmanuel Emenike and Oghenekaro Etebo

All four players are on loan to their respective La Liga clubs.

Las Palmas, who could have Emenike and Etebo, are second from bottom of the table with 14 points from 21 matches.

Etebo, for one, has an option of a permanent deal at the end of his loan spell at Las Palmas.

Malaga, who will have Ideye and Success available, are rock bottom of the standings on 13 points.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/02/05/loanees-ideye-emenike-etebo-isaac-success-clash-in-la-liga-relegation-dog-fight/

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:49am On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

This Ondoa wey una dey shout upandan no be the same one wey chop 4 kondo for Uyo?

Una wan use model na Ondoa.

I tire o

I was thinking its another goalkeeper that was in goalpost for them

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:02am On Feb 05, 2018
Mujtahida:

Sent. Confirm receipt

Received. Thanks so much... Really appreciate
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:13am On Feb 05, 2018
Goalkeeper issue still lingering... And our Vincent training hard... Will he still come back?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:25am On Feb 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Take nothing away from Morocco because at some moments they were top notch.

The Moroccans were easily the best team of the tournament.

After watching the first 10mins of that game, I knew it was a matter of time before our defense crumbled. A guy I watched the game with saw only 5 mins of that first half when it was still 0-0, left and said the game would end at least 3-0.

The red card didn't help matters at all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:26am On Feb 05, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:
Goalkeeper issue still lingering... And our Vincent training hard... Will he still come back?

We are still looking at Rohr and Pinnick

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 11:52am On Feb 05, 2018
How many of those Moroccans were in the team that qualified them for world cup? They have so much synergy for a team that was just assembled for the CHAN. They seem to be playing together for a while, hope we didn't play their national side?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
Will find a way to watch this match.
BascoVanVeli:
Loanees Ideye, Emenike, Etebo, Isaac Success clash in La Liga relegation dog fight

By admin -
February 5, 2018, 9:24 am

As many as four Nigeria stars could be in action in La Liga tonight when strugglers UD Las Palmas welcome Malaga – Brown Ideye and Isaac Success, Emmanuel Emenike and Oghenekaro Etebo

All four players are on loan to their respective La Liga clubs.

Las Palmas, who could have Emenike and Etebo, are second from bottom of the table with 14 points from 21 matches.

Etebo, for one, has an option of a permanent deal at the end of his loan spell at Las Palmas.

Malaga, who will have Ideye and Success available, are rock bottom of the standings on 13 points.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/02/05/loanees-ideye-emenike-etebo-isaac-success-clash-in-la-liga-relegation-dog-fight/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
None in the main national team!
DrKlever:
How many of those Moroccans were in the team that qualified them for world cup? They have so much synergy for a team that was just assembled for the CHAN. They seem to be playing together for a while, hope we didn't play their national side?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2018
Kog45:
I think Rohr is watching and as a coach he must know a good keeper even if the keeper concedes 12 goals in a match.

It's simple the goalkeeper stats would be the benchmark.

Ajiboye against Morocco had 26 shots 12 on targets and conceded 4 goals saved 8 in 90 minutes rating 7/10.I believe this should solve the whole issue.

I am not trying to bring any player down, I mean it will not affect my life in anyway, whether positive or negative.

We need to be saying things the way they are.

Being that the Moroccans had 12 shots on target and scored 4 doesn't mean Ajiboye saved the remaining 8. There were some that were either deflected or stopped by players along the line of those shots. Ajiboye did not make up to 8 saves last night.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2018
DrKlever:

Nope

The Moroccan national team is made up of foreign based. No home based player in the first team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:01pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I am not just referring to two or three players. The likes of Ogu, Balogun, Ekong, Idowu, Ebuehi and others are beginning to look top quality in my eyes. Their impacts are under rated.

TheSuperNerd has been crying this for years, Now I am beginning to believe.

Football is intrinsically corrupt, there is nepotism, etc and all these components will restrict your progress. However, if you have the mental resilience, the perseverance required and with God led faith you can overcome.

Eventually, the cream will rise to the top.

If you are playing week in week out, your continous consistent top Quality performances will eventually get you noticed. Everybody wants to win and will buy the players to make them win generally speaking.

There are exceptions but your club football will mirror your ability even at National team level. You can not be a mouse in your team and become a lion in the national team.

Balogun is not under rated he is struggling to get games in relegation facing Mainz. Ekong left Tottenham and through a number of low level European teams is now playing in Turkey, he is not under rated. Ogu is in Isreal doing OK but that's about it. Idowu is not the best right back in Russia again Ok but nothing special or top class. However. Ebuehi is a player on the up with promise and could get into the range of top class in a few years to come.

You can not look at players in isolation it's always in comparison to other players. The most expensive left back in England plays for Fulham in the Championship. the league

If Ekong was the stand out player in the Turkish league, he simply would not be there

I do not believe these players are under rated they are just good players. On this forum we may in misguided patriotism consider them to be top class, they are simply not. Appreciate your shortcomings and it enables you to prepare for victory. Something I am sure Rohr will do.

Fans look at players fanatically I'm a fan without being fanatical. So.my judgement is not beclouded

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:06pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

Bros, there is a limit to what Salisu can do.

Most of those boys don't have basic football knowledge.

In other words, most of Nigerian players playing in the NPFL dont have basic knowledge abi?

Has anyone really bothered to ask if these players are the best we have in the league? Like seriously? You watch EPL, you see the national team coach watching the leagues, monitoring players goin from venue to venue. I watched 2 EPL games where Gareth Southgate was in the stands watching back to back matches. Cant we borrow ideas? Even if epl is all about weekend entertainment , there are so many lessons to be learnt. I feel NFF should legislate that each clubside should have an academy team and also have their league too side by side.

Yesterdays defeat left a bad taste both in my mouth and my stomach. Thankfully i only watched the 1st half cos I knew yhe team was set up with a principle of what will be will be..... I am not even gonna start on any player.

In the nearest future now, these ones will come up and say they played for Super Eagles abi? Then you start scratching ur head and asking when was that?

I pray we get it right some day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:06pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
For the Argentina game I speak on Uzoho's aerial prowess in response to Forgiveness naa.... That 45 mins was against Argentina and not Sudan or Angola. Let that be emphasized too.

I wanna see him start in three of our friendlies to see more of what he offers in the GWG. That we cannot avoid coz he looks like the Chosen one even though it is damn early to say.

If you want to conclude that Ajiboye isn't so good aerially because of the error earlier in the game.

I might also want to draw your attention to Uzoho's mishap against Girona, he misjudged a cross and was lucky not to have conceded from it.

In essence, it's too early to say...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:07pm On Feb 05, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
With no grudges, I'd well appreciate Some genuine factual and statistical exploits of this lad that has got you guys so elated, even rate ahead of Balogun.

That would be helpful, I haven't watched him in depth so it's not my place to rate him conclusively.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:10pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Nooooooooo.... We don tire for stats talk all the time... Even with stats una go still argue. A couple of monikers here have done some justice to telling us about Uduokhai and hia game time in the Bundesliga and his performances... Now I ask you to do the honorable thing. "WATCH HIM FOR YOURSELF"

GO to YouTube or/and pick out a time and watch him in live action on a weekend and do so with an open mind if truly you seek the undiluted truth on Uduokhai or even Torunarigha.

Video footage unless it's say 5 minutes if one individual game. Gives an indication and is far from conclusive.

I usually send individual game footage and at least five minutes. Otherwise it's very easy to make an average player look good with combined video footage or several games.

This not to say that he is not good but video footage is only indicative.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:13pm On Feb 05, 2018
kennysville:

In other words, most of Nigerian players playing in the NPFL dont have basic knowledge abi?

Has anyone really bothered to ask if these players are the best we have in the league? Like seriously? You watch EPL, you see the national team coach watching the leagues, monitoring players goin from venue to venue. I watched 2 EPL games where Gareth Southgate was in the stands watching back to back matches. Cant we borrow ideas? Even if epl is all about weekend entertainment , there are so many lessons to be learnt. I feel NFF should legislate that each clubside should have an academy team and also have their league too side by side.

Yesterdays defeat left a bad taste both in my mouth and my stomach. Thankfully i only watched the 1st half cos I knew yhe team was set up with a principle of what will be will be..... I am not even gonna start on any player.

In the nearest future now, these ones will come up and say they played for Super Eagles abi? Then you start scratching ur head and asking when was that?

I pray we get it right some day.

Salisu goes from venue to venue. That he has been assigned to do.

I have also seen a couple of Rohr's pictures at our NPFL venues

Talking about the lack of basic football knowledge I know what I am talking about as a lot of them still go through serious football schooling as soon as they arrive Europe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:15pm On Feb 05, 2018
Rabiu Ali to the WC

Osas best RB in the tournament

Orji better than Balogun

What are the other ridiculous things, we heard?

This Moroccan side that wiped the floor with our CHAN team has no single player in the first team. That should give you an idea of what level the CHAN team is.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:15pm On Feb 05, 2018
Kog45:
You Tube cannot do justice but watching him live would be better,have watched him very well this season,the guy is good but a fit Balogun is better.

Torunarigha is always on the bench so i wasn't able to access him much,also Akpoguma who i will rate on the same level with Awaziem

Bold agreed.

However, I will say in context making a comparison of players in different leagues is problematic. You really need to go a lot deeper into player attributes.

The speed and physicality of the Turkish league is not on par with the Bundesliga.

I recall a Nigerian international who returned back to the EPL from playing in Turkey. For a period he was lost to put it lightly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:17pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

Salisu goes from venue to venue. That he has been assigned to do.

I have also seen a couple of Rohr's pictures at our NPFL venues

Talking about the lack of basic football knowledge I know what I am talking about as a lot of them still go through serious football schooling as soon as they arrive Europe.

Seriously, coaches should be getting the knowledge. What is the point if a player needs to start learning again when they go abroad.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2768) (2769) (2770) (2771) (2772) (2773) (2774) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Jefersoun, AndSunGorilla, chrisooblog, 9JAMac10 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.