Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,597 members, 7,851,014 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:15 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2773) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11868836 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2770) (2771) (2772) (2773) (2774) (2775) (2776) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:14pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
You are right about the no.9.... That lad is so big, strong and very mobile. He really tortured us no be small but their no.7 and no.11 were the real danger men who cut us open. Good game from the Moroccans. They were just leagues above our players.

Don't get me wrong with a better coach we might still lose but not as ridiculously as this. We all knew about 7 and 11 but yet Salisu had our fullbacks bombing forward like wingers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:25pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

Home advantage also played a part.

Nigerian sides(clubs) do not do well against home teams. That same thing that makes them lose most away matches both in the NPFL and CAF competitions. They do not do well against home teams.

I agree, a couple of those Moroccan players should be considered for the WC. The number 9, 11 and 7 players especially.

Home advantage is just that, it is not exclusive to NPFL players, after all Morocco did not lose once. The blame should squarely lay on Salisu Yusuf, the players did their best but they never had a shepherd.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:27pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

I can do anything but not to go re-watch that match. Not even at gun point.

But I have noted your point.

We are certainly together on this.... Hahahahahahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Appetizer(m): 3:29pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Last time we had a moniker called F**kboys come out of no where.... Looolll... That was when I was on FP in another section... Now I see Appetizer. What about your siblings/cousins called Dessert? Or maybe even Cocktail? Looolll... cheesy

looks like you know so much about me wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:33pm On Feb 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Home advantage is just that, it is not exclusive to NPFL players, after all Morocco did not lose once. The blame should squarely lay on Salisu Yusuf, the players did their best but they never had a shepherd.

When a team wins. The coach gets the credit and when the team loses the coach also gets the blame.

But truth also be told. The quality of the Majority of those players were poor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:37pm On Feb 05, 2018
I know Salisu is not technically savvy but how he got us to the final is one that will be remembered for the record books. This is our first Silver at the CHAN and it is to Salisu's credit too but I cannot also deny the fact that he is truly lacking in terms of technical competence. He looks so outdated.

With a better coach, we possibly would have gotten a goal but still lost because the Moroccans were clearly better than ours player for player but again... It could have gone in reverse too... Who knows? A brighter coach than Salisu would have organised our team in such a manner so as to stiffle out the attacking threat of those Moroccan wingers and cut out the feeding outlet to their no.9. Well, it was not to be... I hope we learn our lessons from our first CHAN final achieved with a team that is even inferior in technical strength compared to Keshi's bronze-winning side at CHAN 2014.

Keshi's team lacked a good goalie but this 2018 CHAN team had good goalies in Ezenwa and Ajiobye.... We rode on their heroics, Salisu's rugged faith in certain players as regards his system and then luck and luck just had to run out against a far better team.

BascoVanVeli:

Don't get me wrong with a better coach we might still lose but not as ridiculously as this. We all knew about 7 and 11 but yet Salisu had our fullbacks bombing forward like wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 3:44pm On Feb 05, 2018
DrKlever:
How many of those Moroccans were in the team that qualified them for world cup? They have so much synergy for a team that was just assembled for the CHAN. They seem to be playing together for a while, hope we didn't play their national side?
They were drafted from Raja and Wydad casablanca (just 2) so you can understand the synergy. Just like Spain drafting players from Barça and Madrid.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:45pm On Feb 05, 2018
Appetizer:

looks like you know so much about me wink

Naaaahh... I am just "guessing" right now. But surely an appetizer should be sibling or cousin with a dessert now, shouldn't it? wink orrrrr maybe you just a loner kind of appetizer.... ?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

When a team wins. The coach gets the credit and when the team loses the coach also gets the blame.

But truth also be told. The quality of the Majority of those players were poor.

The players are anything but poor because poor players will never take u to a finals. One game can never change what these guys have accomplished.
I was one of the few who spoke up about player selection prior to the tournament but I must say these boys proved themselves. Maybe not SE quality but that does not make them poor.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Man Utd fans coming for you like.....
Them ma know. Mourinho is analog
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 4:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

Better for me to agree with you than to go re-watch that match.

I swear!

That match be me like horror film, anytime I see them showing the replay, a to just off TV.

I no wan get nightmares Biko.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:10pm On Feb 05, 2018
junnyjake:

I swear!

That match be me like horror film, anytime I see them showing the replay, a to just off TV.

lol even reply on supersports dey terrify me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:16pm On Feb 05, 2018
NFF shies away from controversy over Rohr’s, Dennerby’s roles in Nigerian football development
By Alex Monye

Gernot Rohr 1

Some stakeholders in the country ’ s football has urged the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF ) to compel Super Eagles’ Manager, Gernot Rohr to join Super Falcons ’ new coach , Thomas Dennerby in developing the game at the local level .

The NFF unveiled Dennerby as Super Falcons ’ coach in Abuja on Tuesday . Among other things, his contract specifies that apart from the senior national team, he would also help in building other women teams . This means he will live in Nigeria to discover and work with talents available in the country .

This is contrary to the process Super Eagles coach , Gernot Rohr has adopted in carrying out his duties . Since the Franco/ German became the senior men ’ s national team coach , his focused has been on Europe - based players of Nigerian origin , paying little or no time to home - based players.

Despite qualifying Nigeria for the Russia 2018 World Cup with mostly foreign - based players , Rohr , according to some football followers , has not done anything else to put the nation ’ s football on the right path .

But former Super Eagles’ midfielder , Mutiu Adepoju , counters such arguments , saying every coach is working according to the contract he signed with the NFF .Adepoju , a member of the NFF technical committee, said the decision to mandate a coach to work in a particular way is determined by his employers , the board of the NFF .

According to him , “ This question on why the new Super Falcons coach should be made to live and work in Nigeria to help develop female football at all levels and Rohr does not work according to such rules which is to also develop Nigeria men football at all levels , should not be directed to the NFF technical committee members . Our job as members is to give advise where needed to move Nigerian football forward .

“ The chairman of the technical committee, Ahmed Fresh is in the right place to answer this question . He is a member of the board of the federation and any key decision on the contract of Nigerian national team coaches is determined by the board . ”

The Guardian could not reach the NFF Technical Committee Chairman , Ahmed Fresh , who is in Morocco attending the on- going African Nations Championship (CHAN ) , while the federation ’ s secretary general , Sanusi Mohammed , refused to comment on the issue .

Guardian put a call to NFF secretary , He said, “ this question should be directed to the NFF technical committee for clarification . I do not have anything to say on the issue . All I can say now is that the Super Falcons coach would soon start work .”

Source: https://m.guardian.ng/sport/nff-shies-away-from-controversy-over-rohrs-dennerbys-roles-in-nigerian-football-development/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 128 days to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 4:19pm On Feb 05, 2018

Top Tackler Tyronne Ebuehi Named In Eredivisie Team Of The Week
Published: February 05, 2018

Tyronne Ebuehi has been named to the Team of the Week for the latest round of matches played in the Dutch Eredivisie.

Dutch regional newspaper BN DeStem announced its ceremonial Team of the Week on Monday morning, with the Nigeria international occupying the right-back position in a 4-3-3 formation.

Ebuehi started and put in a full shift as ADO Den Haag were held to a 1-1 draw by Heracles at Polman Stadion on Saturday night.

The 22-year-old racked up a game-high four tackles, made two interceptions and four clearances.

Of his 40 passes in the game, 80 percent were accurate and he did nor commit a foul nor pick up a booking over the course of the ninety minutes he spent on the pitch.

This season, Ebuehi has averaged 2.4 tackles and 1.1 interceptions per game from 20 appearances in the Dutch top-flight.
He will complete the season with ADO Den Haag and join Benfica as a free agent in the summer.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

ANS

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:20pm On Feb 05, 2018
Isaac Success was handed Jersey no.17 at Malaga.

Brown Ideye takes no.12 at Malaga too.

At UD Las Palmas, Emenike will dorn Jersey no.10 while Etebo will be in the no.6 jersey till season's end.

Their teams clash later today in a battle of the relegation strugglers and real battle of the Eagles....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:29pm On Feb 05, 2018
CSKA Moscow Star Aaron Samuel Rules Out Transfer To Molde

CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel hopes to remain at the Russian Premier League side and fight for a first-team chance amid speculation linking him with a return to the Norwegian Tippeligaen before the close of the winter transfer market in the first week of April.
As first reported by our colleagues in Norway, Molde, who are managed by ex-Manchester United star Ole Gunnar Solskjær, are considering a move for Samuel but this is news to the Nigeria international.

''This is wrong news. I have had no contact with Molde or any of their representatives. I'm not interested in returning to Norway. For now, I remain a player of CSKA Moscow,'' Samuel told allnigeriasoccer.com .

The 23-year-old Samuel began his career in Europe with Norwegian club Valerenga before shifting to rivals Sarpsborg 08 from where he joined Guangzhou R&F in July 2014.

The former Dolphins ace recently welcomed a new addition to his family, with his wife giving birth to a baby boy in Dubai, United Arab Emirates late January.
He is contracted to CSKA Moscow until the end of the 2020-2021 season.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26478

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:33pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Isaac Success was handed Jersey no.17 at Malaga.

Brown Ideye takes no.12 at Malaga too.

At UD Las Palmas, Emenike will corn Jersey no.10 whole Etebo will be in the no.6 jersey till season's end.

Their teams clash later today in a battle of the relegation strugglers and real battle of the Eagles....

What is the peculiar business model of this club,, a huge amount of Africans in one Spanish club, seems unusual to me.

I wondee what the ownerships structure is In addition is it just one club or several

I do not know and haven't bothered to find out just curious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:36pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
CSKA Moscow Star Aaron Samuel Rules Out Transfer To Molde

CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel hopes to remain at the Russian Premier League side and fight for a first-team chance amid speculation linking him with a return to the Norwegian Tippeligaen before the close of the winter transfer market in the first week of April.
As first reported by our colleagues in Norway, Molde, who are managed by ex-Manchester United star Ole Gunnar Solskjær, are considering a move for Samuel but this is news to the Nigeria international.

''This is wrong news. I have had no contact with Molde or any of their representatives. I'm not interested in returning to Norway. For now, I remain a player of CSKA Moscow,'' Samuel told allnigeriasoccer.com .

The 23-year-old Samuel began his career in Europe with Norwegian club Valerenga before shifting to rivals Sarpsborg 08 from where he joined Guangzhou R&F in July 2014.

The former Dolphins ace recently welcomed a new addition to his family, with his wife giving birth to a baby boy in Dubai, United Arab Emirates late January.
He is contracted to CSKA Moscow until the end of the 2020-2021 season.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26478

ANS vs OGN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:37pm On Feb 05, 2018
komekn:

What is the peculiar business model of this club,, a huge amount of Africans in one Spanish club, seems unusual to me.

I wondee what the ownerships structure is In addition is it just one club or several

I do not know and haven't bothered to find out just curious.

Two different clubs with 2 africans each.. Not that much

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:56pm On Feb 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

The players are anything but poor because poor players will never take u to a finals. One game can never change what these guys have accomplished.
I was one of the few who spoke up about player selection prior to the tournament but I must say these boys proved themselves. Maybe not SE quality but that does not make them poor.

Your opinion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
Goal Ng Interviewer: What Do you want to against Morrocco

A. Okpotu: Do what I've always done.

GN Interviewer: But they have the best defence in the tournament? (says 'shuu' in his mind)

A. Okpotu: Cos they've not met me yet....

GN Interviewer: Okayyyyyyy(Realizing newly kinda 'Okay'

( Atiku, Interviewer, Salisu during the match).....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:27pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

Better for me to agree with you than to go re-watch that match.
Well i have my reason to re watch it and if you don't even at gun point then something is amiss cos as a Nigerian and respected football pundits with coaching certificate like you making this statement am confused.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:30pm On Feb 05, 2018
junnyjake:

I swear!

nightmares on CHAN team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:31pm On Feb 05, 2018
Kog45:
Well i have my reason to re watch it and if you don't even at gun point then something is amiss cos as a Nigerian and respected football pundits with coaching certificate like you making this statement am confused.

There are certain games that we lost and I had course to re-watch. Not this one.

I am OK with the live one I watched.

I am too passionate about Nigerian football. Each of those goals scored yesterday was like an arrow in my heart.

Sitting down alone till the blast of the final whistle was patriotic enough. Everyone in the hall left me only at 3-0.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:39pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

We are certainly together on this.... Hahahahahahahahaha
Oh my man it's in my habit to re watch any Nigeria match(good bad and ugly)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:43pm On Feb 05, 2018
I do re-watch our games even when we lose. I recall re-watching the game against South Africa.

But I am taking exception for just this game because this the worst game I have ever seen a team in GWG play in the last half decade. So biko... Pardon me for not joining the re-watch party for this massacre. I just cannot and will not stand it again.

Kog45:
Oh my man it's in my habit to re watch any Nigeria match(good bad and ugly)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
Icon4s:

There are certain games that we lost and I had course to re-watch. Not this one.

I am OK with the live one I watched.

I am too passionate about Nigerian football. Each of those goals scored yesterday was like an arrow in my heart.

Sitting down alone till the blast of the final whistle was patriotic enough. Everyone in the hall left me only at 3-0.
I bet you like me enjoys watching football with people. It's more fun that way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:52pm On Feb 05, 2018
An aside: That Mo Salah na wa ooo. Guy is too much
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:53pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mujtahida:

I bet you like me enjoys watching football with people. It's more fun that way.

On tour of duty away from home - Job related

Watched in the recreation hall with colleagues.

Otherwise I enjoy watching in my house.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
Lol

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:13pm On Feb 05, 2018
Dutch team of the week

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:17pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ajayi Wins Al Ahly MOTM Award In Win Vs Al-Ittihad
By James Agberebi

Nigeria striker, Junior Ajayi, was voted Al Ahly’s Man Of The Match (MOTM)in their 3-0 away win against Al-Ittihad in the Egyptian top flight on Sunday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Ajayi was in scintillating form for Ahly as he provided an assist and also scored in the convincing win against Al-Ittihad.
The Nigerian put Abdalla El Said through on goal to make it 2-0 for Al Ahly in the 77th minute.
Then in the 82nd minute, Ajayi got on the score sheet to make it 3-0.
He has now scored five league goals for Ahly so far in the current campaign.
The win means Ahly has now won eight straight league games this season.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ajayi-wins-al-ahly-motm-award-in-win-vs-al-ittihad/

(1) (2) (3) ... (2770) (2771) (2772) (2773) (2774) (2775) (2776) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, Daejumong(m), akwesenana, CrownedPhoenix and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.