Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,604 members, 7,851,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:49 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2778) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11869188 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2775) (2776) (2777) (2778) (2779) (2780) (2781) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:29pm On Feb 06, 2018
Finally.....

Abeg make dem no bring true kit o. to late to put on an uninspiring jersey please.

Etebo will climb up from now till June to do one thing.... Give Papa Right headache.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:33pm On Feb 06, 2018
Kog45:
I thought Etebo was a super regular in Portuguese league before moving to Spanish league but still find it difficult to break into Eagles starting eleven despite Onazi indifferent form in Turkish league.

It seems Rohr rate Onazi highly cos if we want to go by club performance Onazi shouldn't have been making eagles starting eleven.

Sometimes only coach can tell us why his preference for some players and i will not deceive you player like Mikel ObiMoses,Ndidi,Balogun, Ekong,Onazi,Ighalo,Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi,no matter their form at their club,it would be hard for Rohr to drop them to the bench unless they failed to impress in eagles colour.

Etebo just need to work hard to make the team not even Onazi cos Onazi is a trusted boy and has never failed Rohr in eagles colour though not good not to be playing regularly cos it affects.

I rate Etebor highly, but his last two games or so with the Eagles were average.

Majority of us here agreed he lacked the creativity required of an AM.

This is a player majority if us here have already lowered his chance of making it to Russia.

Rohr knows why he rates Onazi that highly.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:41pm On Feb 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

I do not think we need him for the WC unless he wants to commit for the longer term.
yea
but we never can tell
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:47pm On Feb 06, 2018
Icon4s:

I rate Etebor highly, but his last two games or so with the Eagles were average.

Majority of us here agreed he lacked the creativity required of an AM.

This is a player majority if us here have already lowered his chance of making it to Russia.

Rohr knows why he rates Onazi that highly.

I think, this informed his move to la liga.

I think his best position is the one he played against Algeria where his energy level was best put to use. He is not a number 10.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:48pm On Feb 06, 2018
Icon79:
Forget the U-23, that's too far back. Just check him out in the recent world cup qualifier against Algeria in Uyo - the first leg. Victor Moses, Leon Balogun and Etebo were out best players. The problem with Nigerian fans is that once a player has one bad game, they would write him off completely. And then once he has another good game, everyone would jump back into his bandwagon.

... very fickle fans.

O pari

Me thinks Etebo will do better as a CMF or Winger.. he's got a lot of energy and he's a hard tackler...
Rohr is trying to make him Mikel's deputy and that's obviously not working....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:55pm On Feb 06, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think, this informed his move to la liga.

I think his best position is the one he played against Algeria where his energy level was best put to use. He is not a number 10.
Etebor's best position is CM and not AM. I have always said this.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:59pm On Feb 06, 2018
Icon79:
Forget the U-23, that's too far back. Just check him out in the recent world cup qualifier against Algeria in Uyo - the first leg. Victor Moses, Leon Balogun and Etebo were out best players. The problem with Nigerian fans is that once a player has one bad game, they would write him off completely. And then once he has another good game, everyone would jump back into his bandwagon.

... very fickle fans.

O pari

Just like how they are jumping to blame Rohr now for preferring Onazi to him when they themselves have put him on the standby list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:02pm On Feb 06, 2018
I concur. Exactly what I want others to see too despite the flaws. He may be technically deficient but he has surpassed Keshi's best for Nigeria at the CHAN. #FactWeCannotIgnore

TheGoodJoe:

Too harsh for a man who gave us our best record in the CHAN and a man who has given so much for Nigerian football. Salisu Yusuf deserves more respect than this.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:10pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Too harsh for a man who gave us our best record in the CHAN and a man who has given so much for Nigerian football. Salisu Yusuf deserves more respect than this.

Trust some Nigerian fans.

The next match he wins now they shout he is a genius.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:11pm On Feb 06, 2018
Good.... CM (box-to-box) is one of Etebo's best two positions. The other is LM.

You are right that he is not in direct competition with Onazi. But the thing is this. If Mikel and Ndidi are sure starters, then the other third midfield slot (depending on the formation we play) will fall to one of Onazi, Etebo or Ogu.

If Etebo is picked, it means Ndidi plays DM, while Etebo plays CM.

If Onazi is picked, it means Onazi plays DM while Ndidi plays CM.

If Ogu is picked, it means we get to see how they both played against Argentina with Mikel. wink

It all boils down to Tactics and formation chosen. But in the end, people must remember that Onazi is assistant Super Eagles Captain and is a favorite to start games too.

Our starting WC midfield is still likely to be Mikel-Ndidi-Onazi. Changes will be subject to tactical tweaks and more. Time will tell.

Icon79:
And he can even play from the flanks, as a SS. Remember what he did against Japan in Brazil. The guy is a very versatile player. I even like him as a an old fashioned CM (box to box midfielder). But I just don't think that the DM is his favorite position.

O pari

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:12pm On Feb 06, 2018
I recall he was hailed for the Mali and Luxembourg wins. wink
Icon4s:

Trust some Nigerian fans.
The next match he wins now they shout he is a genius.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 6:16pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

You are right that he is not in direct competition with Onazi. But the thing is this. If Mikel and Ndidi are sure starters, then the other third midfield slot (depending on the formation we play) will fall to one of Onazi, Etebo or Ogu.

If Ogu is picked, it means we get to see how they both played against Argentina with Mikel. wink

It all boils down to Tactics and formation chosen. But in the end, people must remember that Onazi is assistant Super Eagles Captain and is a favorite to start games too.

Our starting WC midfield is still likely to be Mikel-Ndidi-Onazi. Changes will be subject to tactical tweaks and more. Time will tell.

jots one or two things
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:17pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

I concur. Exactly what I want others to see too despite the flaws. He may be technically deficient but he has surpassed Keshi's best for Nigeria at the CHAN. #FactWeCannotIgnore

Thank you,i just don't know why we always takes things personally especially football, the man Salisu as you said may be technically deficient but that doesn't give us audacity to curse him.

I know if he is a white man trust some Nigerians fans they would make excuse for him,why are we always harsh on our local coaches and even home based players, this thing should stop,let's criticise with a balance minds.

Yes he lost the final by 4 nil but we should know it's final though the team was poor but there are ways we should knock the team not cursing.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:20pm On Feb 06, 2018
Abeg this one wey "LieDetector" quote me..... shocked
Hope say I no lie? shocked

LieDetector:
jots one or two things

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:21pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Yes and some are even suggesting he was ripe for Chief coach of Super eagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:23pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

My man your last paragraph sum it all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:27pm On Feb 06, 2018
LAS PALMAS V MALAGA: Scouting Report On Etebo, Ideye, Success

Las Palmas defeated Malaga 1-0 in a LaLiga tie on Monday thanks to Allen Halilovic’s 90th minute strike. Considering both teams’ positions at the foot of the table, the points meant so much.
Meanwhile, three Nigerians made their debuts for both teams after their winter moves. Oghenekaro Etebo filed out for Las Palmas while Brown Ideye and Isaac Success featured for Malaga. Emmanuel Emenike wasn’t listed for Las Palmas.

How did they fare?

ETEBO

He was on from start to finish and was easily the liveliest player on the pitch featuring from the central midfield. When the Las Palmas number 6 was not breaking up play, he was either turning away in the middle of the park and driving his team forward or hitting a long range canon. He popped up from one box to the other at will.

Key moments:

30 ‘ Hits a bullet from about 25 yards…Wide

36‘ Turns away on the counter but is fouled by Malaga defender. That saved a potentially dangerous situation. The defender goes into the referee’s books.

58 ‘ Hits it from 20 yards… The ball is headed for the top corner but keeper tips it over. Corner kick…

59 ‘ From the ensuing corner, he latches unto a loose ball and unleashes another canon from about 25 yards this time but its wide.

70 ‘ He turns away expertly but is dragged down by the opponent; the ball is well covered and he is still in a position to deliver the pass from his crawling position but the referee gives the foul.

Verdict/World Cup chance: Really an eye-catching performance. A man-of-the-match display. Even if Las Palmas doesn’t survive the drop, he has done his reputation a world of good and other LaLiga teams must have taken note. Cut the picture of Naby Keita at RB Leipzig with his all-action style. He has done no harm to his World Cup place.

IDEYE

Ideye is noted for his good link-up play when he leads the line. Malaga’s number 12 played all 90 minutes and was isolated up front but was the focal point in attack. The tactic was to get him hold the ball up and play his team mates through on the counter.

Key moments:

37‘ He breaks away on the counter and is goal-bound only to be pulled down by Gabriel Penalba. The defender is booked.

52 ‘ He holds the ball up and plays Samuel through but Samuel trips even with the keeper at his mercy.

57 ‘ He takes the ball down with his chest, turns, gets to the byline and crosses but Keko’s effort is saved by keeper

72 ‘ Clash of heads between him and Etebo. Etebo appears more hurt but didn’t need the medics.

75 ‘ He holds the ball up down the right and delivers a cross-field pass to Samuel. Samuel gets past his marker down the left but his cross to Ideye, who had advanced to the box ready to pounce, is somehow looped over. The ball evades Ideye’s head.

84‘ That seemed the moment. He has a clear view of goal and is set to pull the trigger but a last ditch clearance by Aguirre Garay saves the situation for LP.

Verdict/World Cup chance: A typical Ideye performance. He doesn’t score many but is a veritable foil for willing strike partners. This move was obviously geared towards securing his World Cup place and this performance brightened his chances. More of this could get him in that World Cup plane. If he came here to get Rohr’s attention, he must have done that in this game. His experience will suffice at the Mundial and with such quality game time, he can’t be ignored.

SUCCESS

Malaga is bottom of the table and was more desperate for the points. Donning number 17, Success came on in the 80th minute with the game still goalless and the team desirous of a breakthrough. He played from the left side of the attack but had little time to assert himself.

Key moments

83 ‘ Michel Marcedo is freed down LP right flank but Success tracks back to thwart danger.

86 ‘ A corner-kick…He aims at a diving header but Gonzalez clears.

Verdict/World Cup chance: Still smarting from his underachievement at Watford. The potentials are there…He tried to bring some urgency to the attack but huffed and puffed most of the time. Needed more minutes to enter full gear. This department is stocked in the national team. Needs show-stopping performances to gatecrash the World Cup party. More game time will suffice.

**By Clement Nwankpa Jr

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/02/06/las-palmas-v-malaga-scouting-report-on-etebo-ideye-success/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 127 days to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:28pm On Feb 06, 2018
Kog45:
Yes Etebo have the same opportunity like other 34 players to fight for a place.

Truly 35 players would be in camp but i can tell you the following 10 players are sure bet baring any injury Mikel Obi,Victor Moses,Leon Balogun,Ekong Troost, Wilfred Ndidi,*Onazi Ogenyi,Odion Ighalo,Kelechi Iheanacho,Shehu Abdullahi and Alex Iwobi.

Leon balogun?

Why if I may ask sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbouck(m): 6:32pm On Feb 06, 2018
up musa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:34pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Exactly! Our people forget things too easily.

Most laughable is defending the quality of the players and putting all the blame on Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 6:37pm On Feb 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Abeg this one wey "LieDetector" quote me..... shocked

Hope say I no lie? shocked

you resemble person wey go dey siddon for front during your undergraduate days grin. You too like note cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:39pm On Feb 06, 2018
darkelf:

Leon balogun?
Why if I may ask sir
Why do you question Leon Balogun's inclusion?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:40pm On Feb 06, 2018
superbouck:
up musa

Confirmed news.

Just scored for CSKA Moscow against elche

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2018
darkelf:

Confirmed news.
Just scored for CSKA Moscow against elche
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Osas was the biggest culprit on the day defensively. Go back and u will see that he in part responsible for every single goal.
Osas Okoro defensively is zero,seeing any skillful LM or LW on him mehn serious issue.

During NPFL invitational tournament,oh my God there was this MFM player who turned him into passenger on the field.

Honestly better for him to go back to his RW position and maintain than exposing himself unnecessarily.

Check out Morocco first goal,Osas was a trying to mark already marked player and left a player he supposed to mark to do the running and it led to a cross that resulted to first goal.

CC:goldfish80
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2018
Icon4s:

Why do you question Leon Balogun's inclusion?

I'm not absolutely questioning his inclusion.

It's just that he had hardly gotten game time of recent and his form has dipped.

If this continues (and I hope it doesn't), then frankly speaking, his making the squad won't be purely on merit

Now, I hope he regains his form. Dude worked hard for us to get to the mundial

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2018
He's done it again?! cheesy Awwwwwwwwn.... The guy na wa oooo... we can all see that CSKA was meant for Musa and Musa for CSKA. All our players must not play in England.

Carry on Musa the Speedster... wink

superbouck:
up musa

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:47pm On Feb 06, 2018
Hahahahahahahahaha...
funny thing is there were a couple of times I would skip such long note lectures and simply pick them up and have them photocopied after class due to other major stuffs I had to attend to. Medical school is fun if one knows how to balance his other life goals with it. wink

So I am safe then? But why "lie detector"? Here to scrutinise every poster's comment and reveal the lies? wink cheesy Loooollllll

LieDetector:
you resemble person wey go dey siddon for front during your undergraduate days grin. You too like note cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:47pm On Feb 06, 2018
darkelf:

Leon balogun?

Why if I may ask sir
It's simple he had a great WC qualifier and picked as the best Africa CB though he had average game against Zambia and not too good match against Argentina which normally happened sometimes but notwithstanding he still remain number one defender on Rohr' s plan.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:50pm On Feb 06, 2018
Overseas offers pour in for CHAN Eagles stars Faleye, Kalu Orji, Gabriel

The CHAN Eagles are already reaping the benefits of their heroics at this year’s CHAN in Morocco as no fewer than six of them are now considering overseas offers.

SCORENigeria investigations have shown that two top clubs are jostling for 19-year-old Sunday Faleye, who enjoyed to great games against Rwanda and Libya at the CHAN.

An elbow dislocation will rule him out of the semi-final and final of the tournament.
We further gathered that defender Kalu Orji could also be heading back to Europe after a short-lived spell in Albania last year as he is now processing his travel papers to Kazakhstan after he received a concrete offer from that country.

Striker Gabriel Okechukwu, who scored the winners in both the quarterfinal and semi-final has received a rash of offers from Russia, Norway and Switzerland with that of Moroccan giants Raja Casablanca already public knowledge.

Eagles oldest player at CHAN, Rabiu Ali, has also been a target of a number of clubs in Asia.
This was the second appearance of the 37-year-old Kano Pillars midfielder at the tournament having also featured when Nigeria finished third four years ago in South Africa.
And even before CHAN, Stephen Eze and Eneji have reached an agreement with foreign clubs.

Giant central defender Eze has joined Bulgarian club Levski Plodiv, while nippy winger Eneji is expected at La Liga side Villarreal.
Eneji was scouted during last year’s WAFU Cup in Ghana, from where midfielder Afeez Aremu has since signed for IK Start of Norway.
Striker Kingsley Eduwo, who qualified Nigeria to 2018 CHAN, is already banging in the goals for new Tunisian club CS Sfaxien
Ibrahim Alhassan ‘Muazzam’ and Stephen Odey have since the CHAN qualifying playoffs against Benin last year moved to Austria Wien and FC Zurich, respectively.

Who is going where after CHAN?

Sunday Faleye – Austrian clubs

Gabriel Okechukwu – Russia, Norway, Raja Casablanca

Kalu Orji – Kazakhstan

Rabiu Ali – Asia, Africa

Peter Eneji – Villarreal

**By Kola Daniel just back from Morocco

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/02/06/overseas-offers-pour-in-for-chan-eagles-stars-faleye-kalu-orji-gabriel/&hl=en-NG&tg=206&tk=11898708927432448265

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 127 days to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:51pm On Feb 06, 2018
darkelf:

It's just that he had hardly gotten game time of recent and his form has dipped.

If this continues (and I hope it doesn't), then frankly speaking, his making the squad won't be purely on merit

When last did you see him play that you have concluded his form has dipped?

A Player not having regular game time does not mean his form has dipped.

A player like Ahmed Musa was written off here and people even claiming he is in the team due to quota system.

These players are professionals. They have been playing football for donkey years. Not having regular game time in recent weeks or months does not necessarily mean they cannot play when called upon. And of course they don't sit on the bench during training sessions

Where I have worries is when young players don't get playing time because they get better with more playing time and experience.

The only thing that can prevent Leon Balogun from making Russia is injury. Take that from me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:51pm On Feb 06, 2018
darkelf:

Yes you are right and that's why i said in Onazi vs Etebo debate that Etebo can only displace Onazi in camp.

If Balogun failed in camp why not he can be benched or even replaced but who is going to replace him.I hope he get more playing time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2775) (2776) (2777) (2778) (2779) (2780) (2781) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Canada2021, elyte89, ekehopp2 and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.