Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2775) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11750479 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2772) (2773) (2774) (2775) (2776) (2777) (2778) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 10:40pm On Feb 05, 2018
Clearance Seedorf named coach of Deportivo till the end of the season.
Source : Supersports

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:41pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ideye has improved in this half....happy for Isaac..he has started playing once aagain
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:42pm On Feb 05, 2018
Three Nigerians on the pitch IN SPAIN....no be small thing

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:45pm On Feb 05, 2018
O boy Ideye and Success have been a bit rough with Etebo o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:47pm On Feb 05, 2018
Malaga's keeper is a fish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
Isaac looks overweight
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:55pm On Feb 05, 2018
Game over...is the scorer for Las Palmas that same small Halilovic that played for Croatia in UAE 2015 that Barcelona bought at that time?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
gamaliel9:
Isaac looks overweight

D guy needs to shed some weight

Meanwhile sheyb dem talk say dem no dey bear Chelsea if moses dey pitch grin grin grin!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

Hhahahahahha Oga Sir... But you said you never put your heart in this CHAN Now.. How come goals Pierce through your hrt?

I cannot stand the humiliation of any Nigerian team be it a good or a poor one.

I am just sad that our GWG was embarrassed in such manner.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:06pm On Feb 05, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The rating was in depth and had some points but I will prefer an opinion for someone that rewatched the game with the highlighted points I made. Keep in mind the writer gave Ikuowem a high rating based on offensive contributions, supporting the attack and splitting passes. However, my criticism lies in Ikuowem's poor defensive contributions.

And that alone made Ikouwem the worst player on the pitch?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:08pm On Feb 05, 2018
Man of the Match for Etebo

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 11:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
Arsenal: Alex Iwobi suffering from a case ofthe Alexis Sanchez’s?byJosh Sippie15 hours agoFollow @sippenator101TweetShareCommentThere was a collective groanwhen Arsenal released their starting XI with Alex Iwobi, but was the young Nigerian just suffering from a the same thing as Alexis Sanchez?I was ready to lead the chargeagainstArsenalwhen I sawAlex Iwobistill eeking his way into a starting XI with three world class players and one,Alexandre Lacazette, left on the bench, obviously in favor of the young Nigerian.However, seeing as howHenrikh MkhitaryanandPierre-Emerick Aubameyangwere both starting, I was willing to let it go with one simple tweet and deal with the rest of it after Iwobi undoubtedly dropped the ball yet again.However, Iwobididn’t drop the ball at all. He was, in fact, pretty stellar. While it wasMesut Ozil,Aaron Ramseyand Mkhitaryanthat primarily ran the show, Iwobi fell into the shadows where the likes ofHector Bellerinwere, playing quietly effective football outsideof the all-seeing of the Everton defense.Related Story:5 Things Learned Against EvertonIwobi completed more dribbles than any other Arsenal player and he only lost possessionone time. He also completeda massive 87% of his passes and nabbed himself an assist that, while 98% thanks to Ramsey, was still an assist.Check out the latest episode of the Pain in the Arsenal Podcast!As the biggest naysayer in theknown world, I have been asking myself why. Why is it that when you put Iwobi among more talented players, he plays like the young stud we saw nearly two years ago?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2018
Arsenal: Alex Iwobi suffering from a case of the Alexis Sanchez’s? by Josh Sippie15 hours ago Follow @sippenator101TweetShareCommentThere was a collective groanwhen Arsenal released their starting XI with Alex Iwobi, but was the young Nigerian just suffering from a the same thing as Alexis Sanchez?I was ready to lead the chargeagainstArsenalwhen I sawAlex Iwobistill eeking his way into a starting XI with three world class players and one,Alexandre Lacazette, left on the bench, obviously in favor of the young Nigerian.However, seeing as howHenrikh MkhitaryanandPierre-Emerick Aubameyangwere both starting, I was willing to let it go with one simple tweet and deal with the rest of it after Iwobi undoubtedly dropped the ball yet again.However, Iwobididn’t drop the ball at all. He was, in fact, pretty stellar. While it wasMesut Ozil,Aaron Ramseyand Mkhitaryanthat primarily ran the show, Iwobi fell into the shadows where the likes ofHector Bellerinwere, playing quietly effective football outsideof the all-seeing of the Everton defense.Related Story:5 Things Learned Against EvertonIwobi completed more dribbles than any other Arsenal player and he only lost possessionone time. He also completeda massive 87% of his passes and nabbed himself an assist that, while 98% thanks to Ramsey, was still an assist.Check out the latest episode of the Pain in the Arsenal Podcast!As the biggest naysayer in theknown world, I have been asking myself why. Why is it that when you put Iwobi among more talented players, he plays like the young stud we saw nearly two years ago?[size=8pt][/size]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:23pm On Feb 05, 2018
gamaliel9:
Isaac looks overweight

He is just getting back from a long term knee injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:24pm On Feb 05, 2018
tbaba1234:
Man of the Match for Etebo

There was no one else in the running
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:27pm On Feb 05, 2018
CaptainStephen:
Clearance Seedorf named coach of Deportivo till the end of the season.
Source : Supersports

I heard that during the game. The Dutch are not scared of throwing the young ones in the deep end, lets hope Francis can impress him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:28pm On Feb 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

There was no one else in the running
pun intended grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 11:37pm On Feb 05, 2018
My nigga etebo already shining laliga grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 11:43pm On Feb 05, 2018
U guys should watch out etebo is coming to snatch a starting shirt in the super eagle ndidi was a bench warmer until that Leicester move now that etebo is in laliga posting man of the match performance let the real fight begin onazi may be the sacrificial lamb tho he plays in a farmers league

#teametebo grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
isan:
U guys should watch out etebo is coming to snatch a starting shirt in the super eagle ndidi was a bench warmer until that Leicester move now that etebo is in laliga posting man of the match performance let the real fight begin onazi may be the sacrificial lamb tho he plays in a farmers league

#teametebo grin

Onazi has even been relegated to the bench in recent games. (For his club)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:08am On Feb 06, 2018
safarigirl:
pun intended grin

lolz
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 12:10am On Feb 06, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I heard that during the game. The Dutch are not scared of throwing the young ones in the deep end, lets hope Francis can impress him.
yeah, I hope he gives Francis a run of games.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Actually UAE 2013.... and yes it is him. Alen Halilovic... then dubbed the Croatian Messi.

gamaliel9:
Game over...is the scorer for Las Palmas that same small Halilovic that played for Croatia in UAE 2015 that Barcelona bought at that time?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:43am On Feb 06, 2018
With Etebo bound to light up LA liga with his 8-lunged Power-horse midfield performances.... mehn.... Onazi's place is gonna come under threat going forward...

Still early days though plus there is the matter of the friendlies still to come.

In all, a great performance from Etebo on his LA liga debut... MOTM class performance. Our midfield got the fiercest Competition in the Super Eagles I swear.

Update so far on WC-bound Midfield (5 or 6)... just an early forecast into Rohr's inner mind on our midfield.... wink

- Mikel Obi

- Wilfred O. Ndidi

- Ogenyi Onazi

- John Ogu

- Oghenekaro "Horsepower" Etebo

- (who will be the sixth name in midfield?) orrrrr would it be just five? Time will tell....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:45am On Feb 06, 2018
I am really glad too to see the comeback to action of Isaac "The Beast" Success. smiley

With more games still to come, I believe he will get into his Form Zone soon... welcome Back Isaac #TheBeastIsBack
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:49am On Feb 06, 2018
Nigeria at the CHAN: Complete tournament review
By Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

As the curtain falls on the Super Eagles' African Nations Championship campaign, KweséESPN's Colin Udoh delivers his tournament review.
Few expected Nigeria's CHAN Eagles to get anywhere near the final of the 2018 tournament. By the time they got there, a win was the hope, but the general expectation was for a loss.

However, nothing near as humiliating as the 4-0 hiding they came away with was anticipated by Nigeria fans who had been encouraged by the national side's campaign to date.

Worse than the scoreline however, was the manner of the capitulation. Passes gone awry, shambolic defending and a needless, petulant red card.
As Salisu Yusuf's side return home, KweséESPN looks back over their entire campaign and asseses the team's performance in Morocco.

OVERALL GRADE: B
Forget all the pre-tournament bluster. From the get go, this team was not set up to be CHAN champions. They had neither the quality, nor the preparation needed.
While Yusuf did pick a number of top players from the league, his side were almost immediately compromised by the departure of key players from the domestic top flight, with Alhassan Ibrahim being one example.
He further sold himself down the river by picking an obviously injured Peter Eneji, who would not be fit or available until the final, in his 23-man squad. It was effectively wasting one valuable spot in the Eagles' roster.

The selection of 37-year-old Rabiu Ali from a league with much younger, talented midfielders, was just as head-scratching.

However, despite the deficiencies, Yusuf's squad still got further than any other Nigerian team at this competition, advancing via a combination of grit, determination and an unyielding attitude to defeat...at least until the final.
For all the (undeserved) condemnation they will get, they do score high marks overall for working their way to a silver medal.

BREAKOUT PLAYER: DELE AJIBOYE

This was a toss-up between Ajiboye and Okechukwu Gabriel. And to be fair, Ajiboye is more reborn than breakout.
The reason this goes to the goalkeeper is simply because it is a World Cup year, and a breakout performance should lead to a place on the World Cup squad. After almost two games deputizing for the injured Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Ajiboye absolutely ticks that box.

A few months ago, after the goalkeeper trained with the full squad for the first time as they prepared for the double header against Cameroon, whispers among some players and officials was that Ezenwa would need to watch his back with performance after performance.

It only took Ajiboye one game to prove them right, and somewhat explains why Gernot Rohr refused to tell KweséESPN's Ed Dove that Ezenwa was number one despite a Man of the Match performance against Angola.

STANDOUT PLAYER: STEPHEN EZE

Nigeria conceded just two goals on their way to the final, one of which was an own goal by a replacement centre-back. While Ezenwa and Ajiboye had much to do with it at various times, Stephen Eze was equally instrumental.
The Kano Pillars defender proved to be not just an excellent reader of the play, but was also an excellent tackler, and usually on hand to bring the ball out of defence while dominating aerial contests. It is no surprise he is reported in the local press to be leaving the NPFL for Europe

DISAPPOINTMENT: IFEANYI IFEANYI

Having spent time with the Super Eagles A squad, and with the quality of ability he has previously shown, great things were expected of the Akwa United midfielder.

However, he was consistently subbed out by Yusuf, and left out of the starting lineup in one game.
On the basis of his performance in the final, his stock will have fallen significantly with any potential suitors. I doubt scouts will be scrambling to his door now.

MISUNDERSTOOD VILLAIN: ANTHONY OKPOTU

Two goals in the six games, including five starts, meant last season's top scorer endured the brunt of the fans' displeasure - and that is putting in mildly - throughout Nigeria's run.

He did miss multiple chances to have padded his tally, and is rightly criticised for those, but Okpotu offered the kind of presence upfront that almost no other player could.

It's perhaps instructive that the one game he did not start, was the one where the Super Eagles suffered a rout...mostly because the opposition had nobody of his particular skillset to make them concerned about keeping an eye on the backdoor.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3373907/nigeria-at-the-chan-complete-tournament-review?device=featurephone

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bishop88: 12:49am On Feb 06, 2018
DrLikita12:

Received. Thank you.
myself...Onakekefelix@gmail.com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:50am On Feb 06, 2018
CaptainStephen:
yeah, I hope he gives Francis a run of games.

I hope so too, even if that throw's another Nigerian in the relegation dog fight.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:57am On Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Eagles ace Paul Obiefule quits football, bags degree in Denmark

Paul Obiefule is now a university graduate in Denmark after he quit professional football

Former Super Eagles’ midfielder Paul Obiefule has quit football and has now bagged a degree in international sales & marketing from the University of Northern Denmark, Aalborg.

His proud mum and older brother joined the former Lyn Oslo captain at the colourful graduation party.
Obiefule decided to take the education route when he left Swedish side Assyriska FF a few years ago, to prepare himself adequately for the challenges of life after football.

A delighted Obiefule told ScoreNigeria.com.ng he was wasting no time to enroll for a master’s degree programme in Denmark.

“I feel fulfilled now that I have bagged a university degree and I’m happy about that,” he said.
“Having my mum come around for this memorable day will live with me for long.
“Thanks also to my friends and media friends for their encouragement.
“Life after football is tough and unpredictable and it’s wise for players to prepare for it.
“I will decide what to do when I’m fully done with education.”

Obiefule dumped university education to face football back in Nigeria, starting at amateur side JC Raiders in Jos to Sweden, where he paused his professional career for books.

He is presently playing a lowly club in Denmark to keep his fitness.
Obiefule played in all the Scandinavian countries except Iceland, beginning his adventure at Viborg FF in 2004.

**By Ikenwa Nnabuogor

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/02/05/ex-eagles-ace-paul-obiefule-quits-football-bags-degree-in-denmark/&hl=en-NG&tg=206&tk=5015093118131956622

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:06am On Feb 06, 2018
Rohr full of praise for Nigeria despite defeat in CHAN final
By Oluwashina Okeleji, BBC Sport, Casablanca

Gernot Rohr, coach of Nigeria's Super Eagles, was in Casablanca to watch the CHAN final

Nigeria's full national manager Gernot Rohr has praised the Super Eagles B side's performance despite a 4-0 defeat by hosts Morocco in the African Nations Championship (CHAN) final.

Rohr's assistant Salisu Yusuf led the West African country to their best-ever finish at the tournament for locally-based players on Sunday.
Rohr, who closely followed the performance from the stands as he looks to finalise his squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, refused to fault the negative outcome of the final.

"Personally, I think there were lots of positives out there, far more than what people expected from the team," Rohr told BBC Sport in Casablanca.
"For the group it is good for them at this level, the players can also be proud of what they have done here in Morocco."

Nigeria finished third in 2014 and were knocked out of the last tournament in Rwanda at the group stage so Rohr believes the result in Morocco is huge progress.

"You don't define the overall performance based with the final result, they reached this stage against all odds and deserve nothing but our praise and support," said Rohr.

Critics had roundly criticised the team performance and most notably, coach Yusuf's selections in the build up to the final, but Rohr wants to shift focus to the positives.

"I've been really impressed and see this as big progress for us," he added.

"When everyone looks back, they will be satisfied with the exposure, results, and the incredible performance of the team."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42949398

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:11am On Feb 06, 2018
Etebo Becomes 12th Youngest Nigerian To Debut In La Liga (Top 15 Revealed)

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands CD Feirense loanee Oghenekaro Etebo, aged 22 years 2 months and 27 days, will become the 12th youngest Nigerian player to debut in the Spanish La Liga when he steps out onto the Estadio de Gran Canaria turf tonight, starting from 2100 hours.

Based on Las Palmas final training session on Sunday, everything indicates that manager Paco Jémez will hand the versatile midfielder a full debut against Malaga.
Nigeria's youngest ever player to feature in the Spanish top-flight Isaac Success is also set to feature, having insisted on playing time written into his contract with Malaga.

Success was 18 years 7 months and 24 days when he made his maiden appearance in La Liga against Elche on August 31, 2014.

The second youngest Nigerian player to play in the top division in Spain is ex-Spain youth-teamer Sunday Stephen, he gained that distinction when he came off the bench in the 68th minute of Valencia's 3-0 loss to Villarreal, aged 18 years 11 months and 9 days.

Goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, Uche Agbo and Gbenga Okunowo complete the list of Nigeria's top five youngest debutants in La Liga history.

Youngest Nigerian Debutants In La Liga (Top 15)

1) Isaac Success - Granada v Elche 2014 - 18 years 7 months and 24 days

2) Sunday Stephen - Valencia vs Villarreal 2007 - 18 years 11 months and 9 days

3) Francis Uzoho - Deportivo de La Coruña v Eibar 2017 - 18 years 11 months 17 days

4) Uche Agbo - Granada v Levante 2015 - 19 years 2 months and 19 days

5) Gbenga Okunowo - Barcelona v Racing Santander 1998 - 19 years 6 months and 1 day

6) Nduka Ugbade - CD Castellón v Sevilla 1989 - 20 years 3 months and 4 days

7) Ramon Azeez - Almeria v Elche 2013- 20 years 8 months and 18 days

8 ) Festus Agu - SD Compostela v Celta Vigo 1996 - 20 years 9 months and 22 days

9) Nosa Igiebor - Betis v Real Valladolid CF 2012 - 21 years 10 months and 8 days

10) Christopher Kanu - Deportivo Alavés v Espanyol 2001 - 21 years 11 months and 7 days

11) Odion Ighalo - Granada v Betis 2011- 22 years 2 months and 11 days

12) Oghenekaro Etebo - Las Palmas v Malaga 2018 - 22 years 2 months and 27 days

13) Victor Obinna - Malaga v Deportivo de La Coruña 2009 - 22 years 5 months and 19 days

14) Mutiu Adepoju - Racing Santander v Rayo Vallecano 1993 - 22 years 8 months and 14 days

15) Ikechukwu Uche - Recreativo Huelva v Getafe 2006 - 22 years 9 months and 17 days

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26487
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:34am On Feb 06, 2018
Hahahaha

Is the running one still in La Liga?
safarigirl:
pun intended grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (2772) (2773) (2774) (2775) (2776) (2777) (2778) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jihday(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.