Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11634165 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2016
klexycole:

Oya... Let's go settle our matter grin
grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2016
mikron:
true, iwobi was a bit off ystdy, and i believe ighalo would have done more in place of iheanacho, the coach knows best. btw, u reside in maiduguri?

Ighalo. Please, do you know how many games Ighalo had before he lost his place? Was he not in camp before Rohr opted for Nacho?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:51pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Who are the stars ahead of Nacho? If he is a prospect and we have stars. I do not get that statement.

I mean we have other stars in the team who we have already benched, and he isn't an established star yet so I don't see the reason why he can't sit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:56pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

I mean we have other stars in the team who we have already benched, and he isn't an established star yet so I don't see the reason why he can't sit.

For who? That is the problem. If we had chances coming in like that Shehu low cross, I bet, all of you will want Nacho going for it.

He is too mobile. You guys are playing down his pressing and how it affected the game. So there is no need talking bench. We need to talk about creating clear cut chances.

With What we saw yesterday, very few of our players could maintain the intensity of play.

So the bench talk is baffling.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

For who? That is the problem. If we had chances coming in like that Shehu low cross, I bet, all of you will want Nacho going for it.

He is too mobile. You guys are playing down his pressing and how it affected the game. So there is no need talking bench. We need to talk about creating clear cut chances.

With What we saw yesterday, very few of our players could maintain the intensity of play.

So the bench talk is baffling.

so your point is that Iheanacho is untouchable? Ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

Onazi never went forward, he was the sitting DMF, Etebo had to run from the center circle to come and mark Mahrez so that Onazi would free up and stay in the middle but Onazi had to join the chase too, leaving his own man open

Anyhow my blame still goes to Etebo, he had no business trying to stay with Mahrez.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:00pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

Honestly he is and should be.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MduZA: 2:01pm On Nov 13, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Wat happened in south africa was an insult to the progress that has gone on in African football. That ref and his team should be suspended.

I saw similar blunders on world stage football...no exception
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:01pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

Because Etebo was more of a CMF in that match or you didn't notice that? Onazi was the standing DMF and Etebo was more of a CMF. Meanwhile, no matter how many DMFs you have, their primary work is to man the middle, if the play happened close to the throw-in then I would understand the covering part but this is inside the box, a DMF should be standing infront of the two CBs in that position, the LB and LCB had that covered, he went to mark a player who already had 2 players on him, isn't that poor decision making.

Etebo was not the Cmf. The super eagles played 4_2_3_1 formation
Onazi and Etebo where in the double pivot. Mikel played ahead of them while Iwobi and Moses held up the flanks.
I wonder where you got the idea that Etebo played as a Cmf ot box to box.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:02pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

I wonder what you mean by untouchable. He is our best option up front. Unless you have a Super Eagles striker with better conversion rate, mobility, speed and pressing, then he remains the best option.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

Etebo was not the Cmf. The super eagles played 4_2_3_1 formation
Onazi and Etebo where in the double pivot. Mikel played ahead of them while Iwobi and Moses held up the flanks.
I wonder where you got the idea that Etebo played as a Cmf ot box to box.

Etebo played ahead of Onazi. He was a CMF. In the double pivot, most times one is a box-to-box. Etebo was not a defensive midfielder in that game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
mikron:
true, iwobi was a bit off ystdy, and i believe ighalo would have done more in place of iheanacho, the coach knows best. btw, u reside in maiduguri?
yep for now ,working there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:07pm On Nov 13, 2016
I have to reply this before replying Sir Joseph1013's big question on "who to be dropped to accomodate Iheanacho's beastly talents as an AMF/SS"............

Sir TheGoodJoe...... I gotta be as honest and also truthfully analytical as I can be and I trust you'll understand my stand.

Kelechi Iheanacho didn't have a great game yesterday not because he's a bad player but because the "FALSE 9" IDEA of Coach Gernot Rohr from the beginning of the game didnt quite work out.

Nacho was isolated and chances were few and far between for him coz he was closely monitored (REMEMBER LEEKENS SAID HE AND IWOBI WERE HIS MAJOR WORRIES) and he couldnt exert his influence as he always does playing off a "top striker" as an SS or a roaming AMF.

It's true that his high-pressing and movements (WHICH VERY FEW SEE) caused Belkaroui and co. problems and he was mobile in attack and helped draw away attention from his other attacking colleagues BUT the whole central idea of him playing as a no.9 didnt work out well....

The False 9 strategy is strange to our national team and Nacho was most times left alone upfront to run off the ball and battle the central defence pair of the Fennecs..... His first touches were always heavy and yes I admit the tight marking contributed sometimes to that...

He still showed up on a few occasions but was ghostlike for the most parts.... He was involved in the build-up to our second goal and had a chance on target after Musa came on....

Iheanacho didnt get a goal for Nigeria for the first time in five games now and that's because this was his first trial as a top9 albeit with the false 9 plan in mind which JUST DIDNT CLICK.

BEHIND THE STRIKER AS A NO.10 OR PLAYING OFF A TOP 9 AS A NO.8 (SUPPORT STRIKER) GUARANTESS THAT NACHO WILL NEVER HAVE A "QUIET GAME".

He can play the 9 role only as a false 9 which can work under a guardiola system but is yet to click in a Nigerian set-up.... Thus, he must return to the AMF role... BUT THEN, I WILL SAY THAT SHOULD BE HAPPEN ONLY IF A PROLIFIC ACTUAL NO.9 WILL PLAY UP TOP.... Eg. Osimhen of Wolfsburg...

............................ On Sir Joseph1013's question...... This is my response... Below

I See Iheanacho still playing as the no.9 for The Eagles for now because of Etebo's badass performance yesterday.

Why bench a player with 14lungs and who is also a goal threat in his own way?? **FYI, Oanzi has just 4 lungs but Etebo na alien for midfield energy.

I'm afraid until Ighalo and Ideye step things up in the no.9 role.... IHEANACHO WILL CONTINUE TO LEAD THE LINES UNTIL EITHER AN ISAAC SUCCESS OR (MOST PREFERABLY) VICTOR OSIMHEN IS READY.

When Osimhen begins his wolfsburg professional career by january next year, I expect him to rise as our new no.9 in no time as he's already shown his stuff with the U-23s and U-20s MEANING It's either Iheanacho is benched (highly unlikely) OR he returns to his beastly AMF role and Etebo goes to the bench (ANOTHER TOUGH CALL).

THE ONLY FORMATION THAT WILL ACCOMODATE BOTH NACHO AND ETEBO IS THE 4-3-1-2... The "3" represents 3 Central midfielders in Onazi, Mikel and Etebo then an Iwobi ahead of them, and a Nacho playing off the shoulder of the top 9.

In this set-up, it means Victor moses might be benched (ANOTHER CRAZY UNLIKELINESS).

However, Nacho can easily drop a bit to the side as a RWF and Iwobi drifting between central AMF and LWF and allowing an Etebo (who's box-to-box) to bomb forward or a mikel to sometimes step into the Central AMF role... This system can easily switch to a 4-3-3..... BUT VICTOR MOSES ON THE BENCH??!!! ANOTHER TOUGH CALL!!!!

Look Sir Joseph1013, I could come up with different options and formation strategies BUT ONE OF THE KEY MEN OF THIS RISING GOLDEN SUPER EAGLES SIDE WILL BE BENCHED... LOOLLLL...

So summarily, in our 4-2-3-1, The competition is super hot!!!!!

Imagine Osimhen or a Success as the no.9 with their pace and power....

Then a super no.10 is needed behind them, enter Iheanacho the alien kid as a roaming beastly no.10 flanked by the "god of skills and the first touch", Alexander "the great" Iwobi and the Super energetic and Skills-ClassAct, the mercurial Victor Moses.

But this means, Etebo's energy will go and we make do with Mikel and Onazi/Ndidi.

Lords, master analysts and Madams of the house.... SIR JOSEPH1013'S QUESTION HAS NO DIRECT CONCRETE ANSWER... IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE OPPOSITION WE FACE. THIS IS MY SUBMISSION.

**drops the pen**

Hey! Yara Yara... Pls make me coffee... *smiles*

TheGoodJoe:

Tell me the more you think he can offer that he can not do as a false 9
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:08pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Etebo played ahead of Onazi. He was a CMF. In the double pivot, most times one is a box-to-box. Etebo was not a defensive midfielder in that game.
The same Etebo I saw double team on Brahimi with Omeruo?
The same Etebo I saw make intersections in our defence 3rd time and time again?
It's like your eyes were only fixed on the ball. You didn't watch much of players positioning off the ball.

Etebo in the first half made a timely interseption which Drew the applause of the crowd at 2:0.
His starting point was never as a Cmf
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

my problem is that people think he is untouchable. If he wants to be the CF, no problem because I don't see him playing a box to box better than Etebo, or a LMF better than Iwobi and Mikel isn't going to sit, so let Nacho remain there, if Kayode is invited and he outplays him, let Nacho sit! He is a bench piece at Mancity, a prospect, not a star, we have stars so I don't see the issue here

It looks like Iheanacho may end up on the bench. grin

As you rightly said, Etebor brings more to the table than Iheanacho in the midfield but Iheanacho passes and his ability to score is another thing.

I think it depends on how the coach wants to play.

Iheanacho is touchable live and direct. grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:13pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

my problem is that people think he is untouchable. If he wants to be the CF, no problem because I don't see him playing a box to box better than Etebo, or a LMF better than Iwobi and Mikel isn't going to sit, so let Nacho remain there, if Kayode is invited and he outplays him, let Nacho sit! He is a bench piece at Mancity, a prospect, not a star, we have stars so I don't see the issue here
now you just sound butt-hurt.

Imagine, he's a bench prospect at Man zcity....it's because of silly talk like this that Manu Garba and Ugbade disgraced themselves at U20 World Cup, silly talk like this cost us a place in AFCON.

Is it misfiring Ighalo that's your star or MLS Adi? Who be the stars wey una get wey better pass the so-called "bench prospect"?

Na so you been dey yarn beans on top Mikel matter before

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:15pm On Nov 13, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Don't get all holistical on me o! He had a bad game the boy is human go figure. This says nothing about his position cuz he scores for his club at the same position.

The boy is better as a SS or attacking midfielder. If you watch Manchester city well, you will notice dey don't give long passes directly to the CF and dey don't give passes outside the box. They work the ball into the box for their striker to tap in. grin

We never dey play reach dat kind level. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:16pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I have to reply this before replying Sir Joseph1013's big question on "who to be dropped to accomodate Iheanacho's beastly talents as an AMF/SS"............

Sir TheGoodJoe...... I gotta be as honest and also truthfully analytical as I can be and I trust you'll understand my stand.

Kelechi Iheanacho didn't have a great game yesterday not because he's a bad player but because the "FALSE 9" IDEA of Coach Gernot Rohr from the beginning of the game didnt quite work out.

Nacho was isolated and chances were few and far between for him coz he was closely monitored (REMEMBER LEEKENS SAID HE AND IWOBI WERE HIS MAJOR WORRIES) and he couldnt exert his influence as he always does playing off a "top striker" as an SS or a roaming AMF.

It's true that his high-pressing and movements (WHICH VERY FEW SEE) caused Belkaroui and co. problems and he was mobile in attack and helped draw away attention from his other attacking colleagues BUT the whole central idea of him playing as a no.9 didnt work out well....

The False 9 strategy is strange to our national team and Nacho was most times left alone upfront to run off the ball and battle the central defence pair of the Fennecs..... His first touches were always heavy and yes I admit the tight marking contributed sometimes to that...

He still showed up on a few occasions but was ghostlike for the most parts.... He was involved in the build-up to our second goal and had a chance on target after Musa came on....

Iheanacho didnt get a goal for Nigeria for the first time in five games now and that's because this was his first trial as a top9 albeit with the false 9 plan in mind which JUST DIDNT CLICK.

BEHIND THE STRIKER AS A NO.10 OR PLAYING OFF A TOP 9 AS A NO.8 (SUPPORT STRIKER) GUARANTESS THAT NACHO WILL NEVER HAVE A "QUIET GAME".

He can play the 9 role only as a false 9 which can work under a guardiola system but is yet to click in a Nigerian set-up.... Thus, he must return to the AMF role... BUT THEN, I WILL SAY THAT SHOULD BE HAPPEN ONLY IF A PROLIFIC ACTUAL NO.9 WILL PLAY UP TOP.... Eg. Osimhen of Wolfsburg...

............................ On Sir Joseph1013's question...... This is my response...

I See Iheanacho still playing as the no.9 for The Eagles for now because of Etebo's badass performance yesterday.

Why bench a player with 14lungs and who is also a goal threat in his own way??

I'm afraid until Ighalo and Ideye step things up in the no.9 role.... IHEANACHO WILL CONTINUE TO LEAD THE LINES UNTIL EITHER AN ISAAC SUCCESS OR (MOST PREFERABLY) VICTOR OSIMHEN IS READY.

When Osimhen begins his wolfsburg professional career by january next year, I expect him to rise as our new no.9 in no time as he's already shown his stuff with the U-23s and U-20s MEANING It's either Iheanacho is benched (highly unlikely) OR he returns to his beastly AMF role and Etebo goes to the bench (ANOTHER TOUGH CALL).

THE ONLY FORMATION THAT WILL ACCOMODATE BOTH NACHO AND ETEBO IS THE 4-3-1-2... The "3" represents 3 Central midfielders in Onazi, Mikel and Etebo then an Iwobi ahead of them, and a Nacho playing off the shoulder of the top 9.

In this set-up, it means Victor moses might be benched (ANOTHER CRAZY UNLIKELINESS).

However, Nacho can easily drop a bit to the side as a RWF and Iwobi drifting between central AMF and LWF and allowing an Etebo to bomb forward or a mikel to sometimes step into the Central AMF role... This system can easily switch to a 4-3-3..... BUT VICTOR MOSES ON THE BENCH??!!! ANOTHER TOUGH CALL!!!!

Look Sir Joseph1013, I could come up with different options and formation strategies BUT ONE OF THE KEY MEN OF THIS RISING GOLDEN SUPER EAGLES SIDE WILL BE BENCHED... LOOLLLL...

So summarily, in our 4-2-3-1, The competition is super hot!!!!!

Imagine Osimhen or a Success as the no.9 with their pace and power....

Then a super no.10 is needed behind them, enter Iheanacho the alien kid as a roaming beastly no.10 flanked by the "god of skills and the first touch", Alexander "the great" Iwobi and the Super energetic and Skills-ClassAct, the mercurial Victor Moses.

But this means, Etebo's energy will go and we make do with Mikel and Onazi/Ndidi.

Lords, master analysts and Madams of the house.... SIR JOSEPH1013'S QUESTION HAS NO DIRECT CONCRETE ANSWER... IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE OPPOSITION WE FACE. THIS IS MY SUBMISSION.

**drops the pen**

Hey! Yara Yara... Pls make me coffee... *smiles*

First of all, we had a very similar strategy to Guardiola. We played out from the back many times. Some drew applause from me. We relied on the keeper to help build-up plays. We had the flanking players contributing to the attack.

We had a forward to press and keep the defence under constant pressure.

So, writing off the strategic play after it worked flawlessly is puzzling. Based on what the coach wants, Nacho ticked every box. Yes he was closely marked. Yes the defenders made it difficult for him but we won in an impressive way.

So saying telling us to drop the strategy for Nacho to have a brilliant individual game does not work for me. Let us get better with the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:17pm On Nov 13, 2016
forgiveness:

It looks like Iheanacho may end up on the bench. grin

As you rightly said, Etebor brings more to the table than Iheanacho in the midfield but Iheanacho passes and his ability to score is another thing.

I think it depends on how the coach wants to play.

Iheanacho is touchable live and direct. grin

So, if na you be coach, you'll drop a player that scored 4/4 for you because he had one bad game? undecided

This kind of talk is why some people will remain football analysts on the net and will never qualify for a coaching certificate.

Oya, make una go bench am now

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:18pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

The same Etebo I saw double team on Brahimi with Omeruo?
The same Etebo I saw make intersections in our defence 3rd time and time again?
It's like your eyes were only fixed on the ball. You didn't watch much of players positioning off the ball.

Etebo in the first half made a timely interseption which Drew the applause of the crowd at 2:0.
His starting point was never as a Cmf

The same Etebo we saw fouled on the left wing? I guess he was a left winger. Why do you think there is praise for his work rate? He was not a DMF. Are you saying when Fernandinho and Gundogan play in midfield, Gundogan is a defensive midfielder?

It is a double pivot. One makes box-to-box runs, the other shields the defence. Etebo was the earlier.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:18pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Says the guy who knows more than all City coaches, including Guardiola. We are talking of a guy who has spent almost three years as a striker for Manchester City.

We are no Manchester City, we are Nigeria hence the need to play according to our strength.

Read my comments up there then you will know why he plays well for Manchester City. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:22pm On Nov 13, 2016
safarigirl:

So, if na you be coach, you'll drop a player that scored 4/4 for you because he had one bad game? undecided

This kind of talk is why some people will remain football analysts on the net and will never qualify for a coaching certificate.

Oya, make una go bench am now

I no wan be coach na. grin

I said it depends on the system the coach want.

Ask yourself why he played badly today but played well before. Na simple things.

Either he restore him back to his position or he seats on the pako. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:23pm On Nov 13, 2016
forgiveness:

We are no Manchester City, we are Nigeria hence the need to play according to our strength.

Read my comments up there then you will know why he plays well for Manchester City. grin

Our strengths like we should not be outclassing the number one Team in Africa. Rohr, listen to forgiveness play to our strength. Like our ratings on the FIFA Ranking table.

Mba nu nu. This is not our strength. I beg you, do not make me laugh.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:24pm On Nov 13, 2016
My whole point is this.... Iheanacho will continue as our no.9. And until, Success and Osimhen are ready.... Nacho will remain as our no.9.

If Success or Osimhen steps up to the plate then Nacho will play behind that top 9 or off his shoulder.

MY WHOLE POINT IS "I DONT THINK NACHO CAN BE BENCHED"

HE'S THAT IMPORTANT AND OUR MOST DEADLY GOAL THREAT ANYTIME... ANYDAY. smiley

Rohr's false 9 system didnt click yesterday.... Not saying it wont eventually BUT THAT WILL TAKE TIME AND PATIENCE.

Anyway... Again I ask... Will you still have Nacho playing the 9 role if the false 9 eventually clicks... Or will you have him play off a top 9 like Osimhen who will be in the form of life as a 9?

This is getting tougher to analyse.... Trust me.. smiley

TheGoodJoe:

First of all, we had a very similar strategy to Guardiola. We played out from the back many times. Some drew applause from me. We relied on the keeper to help build up play. We had the flanking players contributing to the attack.

We had a forward to press and keep the defence under constant pressure.

So, writing off the strategic play after it worked flawlessly is puzzling. Based on what the coach wants, Nacho ticked every box. Yes he was closely marked. Yes the defenders made it difficult for him but we won in an impressive way.

So saying telling us to drop the strategy for Nacho to have a brilliant individual game does not work for me. Let us get better with the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:24pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The same Etebo we saw fouled on the left wing? I guess he was a left winger. Why do you think there is praise for his work rate? He was not a DMF. Are you saying when Fernandinho and Gundogan play in midfield, Gundogan is a defensive midfielder?

It is a double pivot. One makes box-to-box runs, the other shields the defence. Etebo was the earlier.
How many times did you see Etebo in the defensive 3rd of the Algerians?
Guondogan is always seen beyond the defensive 3rd of the opposition like in the Barca game.
I wonder why you brought his name up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:27pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Our strengths like we should not be outclassing the number one Team in Africa. Rohr, listen to forgiveness play to our strength. Like our ratings on the FIFA Ranking table.

Mba nu nu. This is not our strength. I beg you, do not make me laugh.

Did we outclass the number one in Africa? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Na wa o, i wonder wat people were watching.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
Etebo gave that assist to Mikel Sir Goldfish... smiley

He was doing his thing alongside Onazi... Yes... But that's because at some point in the game we were on the backfoot... WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AFRICA'S FINEST SIDE HERE... ALGERIA.

Etebo did go forward when he could... He played box-to-box... Not DMF.

goldfish80:

How many times did you see Etebo in the defensive 3rd of the Algerians?
Guondogan is always seen beyond the defensive 3rd of the opposition like in the Barca game.
I wonder why you brought his name up.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:29pm On Nov 13, 2016
safarigirl:
now you just sound butt-hurt.

Imagine, he's a bench prospect at Man zcity....it's because of silly talk like this that Manu Garba and Ugbade disgraced themselves at U20 World Cup, silly talk like this cost us a place in AFCON.

Is it misfiring Ighalo that's your star or MLS Adi? Who be the stars wey una get wey better pass the so-called "bench prospect"?

Na so you been dey yarn beans on top Mikel matter before

this is why I hate having conversations with you, you utter rubbish with such conviction that it annoys me and your diction is pretty foul, you might want to change it.

I said we have stars who are sitting on the bench already, and he is still a prospect, isn't he a bench piece at Man city? Or has he benched Aguero already? All what you said is baseless, I said if they come and they perform better than him let him sit, for Christ's sake you were saying that if Alampasu performs better than Akpeyi he should sit for Alampasu, so what makes Iheanacho's case different? Read meaning into this and take off your fangirl glasses for once.

PS: if you think that I hate Mikel, ok.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:31pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
My whole point is this.... Iheanacho will continue as our no.9. And until, Success and Osimhen are ready.... Nacho will remain as our no.9.

If Success or Osimhen steps up to the plate then Nacho will play behind that top 9 or off his shoulder.

MY WHOLE POINT IS "I DONT THINK NACHO CAN BE BENCHED"

HE'S THAT IMPORTANT AND OUR MOST DEADLY GOAL THREAT ANYTIME... ANYDAY. smiley

Rohr's false 9 system didnt click yesterday.... Not saying it wont eventually BUT THAT WILL TAKE TIME AND PATIENCE.

Anyway... Again I ask... Will you still have Nacho playing the 9 role if the false 9 eventually clicks... Or will you have him play off a top 9 like Osimhen who will be in the form of life as a 9?

This is getting tougher to analyse.... Trust me.. smiley

If Osimhen develops the way we expect, I expect him to lead the line up front and Nacho dropping behind. Osimhen also presses and worries defenders. However, that is a long time from now.

For now, based on the strategy we saw yesterday, Nacho is the best option without a doubt. Just as Etebo became a key player yesterday. I wish we saw how good Alampasu developed so far but that I for another day.

When once you pull Nacho from the nine, we can not press with the same intensity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

this is why I hate having conversations with you, you utter rubbish with such conviction that it annoys me and your diction is pretty foul, you might want to change it.

I said we have stars who are sitting on the bench already, and he is still a prospect, isn't he a bench piece at Man city? Or has he benched Aguero already? All what you said is baseless, I said if they come and they perform better than him let him sit, for Christ's sake you were saying that if Alampasu performs better than Akpeyi he should sit for Alampasu, so what makes Iheanacho's case different? Read meaning into this and take off your fangirl glasses for once.

PS: if you think that I hate Mikel, ok.

The problem is that we do not have a better option, so why bring the bench talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:34pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

We had deadly forwards flanking Iheanacho. The misplaced passes and poor control came from the closely marked defenders.

Even passes meant to connect to him came with force because our forwards and midfielders had to find him in tight situations. This is why he had challenges. Not because he is not effective there.

Rohr picked him to play that role after coming up with the most effective strategy to nullify the Algerians.

The beauty of this option, was the room our forward players played in. Mikel, Iwobi and Moses had room to cause havoc to the Algerians defence.

Mikel had chances before the first goal came. Without Moses, Success or S. Moses might have the chance to score the goals.

In a different scenario where Iheanacho is not closely marked, he will rip the post repeatedly.

His mobility is phenomenal. The goal he missed was due to his exceptional mobile movements. The header he did not reach was a result of his speed and intelligence. Even though the cross was far, he was alert and fast.

The problem Iheanacho had was we did not create clean chances for him. This was due to him being closely marked.

It worked our favour.

@bolded buttressed the point that Iheanacho is not a CF.

The second @bolded also buttressed the point he is not a natural CF. No defender will allow Nacho breathing space because he knows the consequences. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), Lyster360, TheSuperNerd(m), immobilare(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.