Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11637625 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (16140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:34pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

How many times did you see Etebo in the defensive 3rd of the Algerians?
Guondogan is always seen beyond the defensive 3rd of the opposition like in the Barca game.
I wonder why you brought his name up.

Gundogan? Always seen beyond defensive third? Sometimes, he drops deep to the defenders and exchange passes with them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2016
forgiveness:

@bolded buttressed the point that Iheanacho is not a CF.

The second @bolded also buttressed the point he not a natural CF. No defender will allow Nacho breathing space because he knows the consequences. grin

Haaaaaa!

So when the French team closely marked Ronaldo De Lima in the finals in France 98 and made it difficult for him to strike, Ronaldo De Lima was not a Natural CF.

Yara Yara, the Gloves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

Etebo was not the Cmf. The super eagles played 4_2_3_1 formation
Onazi and Etebo where in the double pivot. Mikel played ahead of them while Iwobi and Moses held up the flanks.
I wonder where you got the idea that Etebo played as a Cmf ot box to box.

they have answered you abi? Or you still don't get why he was the CMF or how he was the box to box?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by confun: 2:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
Looking forward to our next FIFA ranking......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:41pm On Nov 13, 2016
Honestly based on Ighalo's and Ideye's form in front of goal in the green and white...

I think we saw our best formation and starting line-up yesterday.... The only positions we didnt have our best in were the right back and GK roles but the guys that stood in did their best and must be commended.

That starting line-up of yesterday IS OUR FINEST TODAY.

AND EVEN THOUGH I INSIST THAT NACHO WILL BE A BEASTLY ALIEN NO.10 BEHIND OUR BEST 9.... I KNOW FOR TRUTH THAT FOR NOW, IHEANCHO KELECHI WILL CONTINUE TO LEAD THE LINES UNTIL THAT "BADASS NO.9" ARISES.

I know he will in "Victor Osimhen" or even an "Isaac Success" (if he can rediscover his no.9 godlike qualities)

WE HAVE A TEAM NOW GOING FORWARD.... JUST THE RIGHT BACK ROLE TO FILL UP. smiley

TheGoodJoe:

If Osimhen develops the way we expect, I expect him to lead the line up front and Nacho dropping behind. Osimhen also presses and worries defenders. However, that is a long time from now.

For now, based on the strategy we saw yesterday, Nacho is the best option without a doubt. Just as Etebo became a key player yesterday. I wish we saw how good Alampasu developed so far but that I for another day.

When once you pull Nacho from the nine, we can not press with the same intensity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:43pm On Nov 13, 2016
Dont mind those fantastically kwarrupt fiful at fifa... Their rankings na fake. Loolll

confun:
Looking forward to our next FIFA ranking......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:44pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The problem is that we do not have a better option, so why bring the bench talk.

what is your definition of a better option?? So if Kayode comes and does better than Nacho in training he still is the best option? I am not saying bench him because of one bad game, I am saying bench him if he does not perform well, the whole point here is that people think he is untouchable which he isn't. Against Zambia, we only had about 60 good minutes where we played well but against Algeria we played well for 80 minutes out of 90 because of Etebo's engine and Ndidi's early inclusion, so Etebo can't sit, the only change that is necessary in that midfield would be Onazi though we can manage anyways, so Iheanacho coming into the middle won't make sense, so let him fight for his place in the CF position. We already have one untouchable, having 2 or 3 will turn us into the English team and we know how good they are
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:47pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Honestly based on Ighalo's and Ideye's form in front of goal in the green and white...

I think we saw our best formation and starting line-up yesterday.... The only positions we didnt have our best in were the right back and GK roles but the guys that stood in did their best and must be commended.

That starting line-up of yesterday IS OUR FINEST TODAY.

AND EVEN THOUGH I INSIST THAT NACHO WILL BE A BEASTLY ALIEN NO.10 BEHIND OUR BEST 9.... I KNOW FOR TRUTH THAT FOR NOW, IHEANCHO KELECHI WILL CONTINUE TO LEAD THE LINES UNTIL THAT "BADASS NO.9" ARISES.

I know he will in "Victor Osimhen" or even an "Isaac Success" (if he can rediscover his no.9 godlike qualities)

WE HAVE A TEAM NOW GOING FORWARD.... JUST THE RIGHT BACK ROLE TO FILL UP. smiley

was it just me? I believe Omeruo did a good...no a brilliant job as the RB, for me he should be starting there, we had to make do with a CB turned RB for many years(Ambrose) so why the hell not? I would argue that our DMF wasn't the best but that's the coaches call
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:51pm On Nov 13, 2016
Read my other post (the one you quoted) to theGoodJoe.... I said he did good but we both know he's not our best option at right back.

For now, that's where we have less cover. Musa Mohammed need to get a club and improve and until then the right back role is so empty right now. We keep using makeshifts.

Let Odubajo, Idowu or even Dominic Iorda jnr show up and you will see the difference.

Mickael2:

was it just me? I believe Omeruo did a good...no a brilliant job as the RB, for me he should be starting there, we had to make do with a CB turned RB for many years(Ambrose) so why the hell not? I would argue that our DMF wasn't the best but that's the coaches call
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:53pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Gundogan? Always seen beyond defensive third? Sometimes, he drops deep to the defenders and exchange passes with them.
I hate arguing without facts that's why I normally use stats. This time I will use still pictures to educate you guys a bit.
You can see Onazi and Etebo's position marked with a blue circle. You can see from the four different pictures, they were in a straight line with each other.
If you still insist Etebo was a box to box or Cmf then that certifies you simply can't read a formation properly and we forget the argument.
Cc mikeal2, Supernerd

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
I do wonder why you just dont wanna concede that you're wrong on this.

Etebo was everywhere in midfield and only joined Onazi because of his workrate and super marking abilities also.... He joined Onazi when we were in off-the-ball situations..... But he never remained with Onazi when we were on the ball and moving on the attack...

Your pixs mostly show him in off-the-ball situations... He had to mark and help Onazi choke the Algerians!!! Tu comprends??

I wonder how he got his assist sef... Think about it. smiley

goldfish80:

I hate arguing without facts that's why I normally use stats. This time I will use still pictures to educate you guys a bit.
You can see Onazi and Etebo's position marked with a blue circle. You can see from the four different pictures, they were in a straight line with each other.
If you still insist Etebo was a box to box or Cmf then that certifies you simply can't read a formation properly and we forget the argument.
Cc mikeal2, Supernerd

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 3:00pm On Nov 13, 2016
DEATHMACHINE:
yep for now ,working there
shocked
hope u re safe there?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 3:02pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

this is why I hate having conversations with you, you utter rubbish with such conviction that it annoys me and your diction is pretty foul, you might want to change it.

I said we have stars who are sitting on the bench already, and he is still a prospect, isn't he a bench piece at Man city? Or has he benched Aguero already? All what you said is baseless, I said if they come and they perform better than him let him sit, for Christ's sake you were saying that if Alampasu performs better than Akpeyi he should sit for Alampasu, so what makes Iheanacho's case different? Read meaning into this and take off your fangirl glasses for once.

PS: if you think that I hate Mikel, ok.
All because he didn't score in one game? I won't say he didn't play well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 3:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Ighalo. Please, do you know how many games Ighalo had before he lost his place? Was he not in camp before Rohr opted for Nacho?
well thats true too, but u and i knew iheanacho and iwobi didnt come to the party ystdy, when iwobi was substituted for musa we saw the renewed bite upfront, in my opinion musa should have been brought in in the early minutes of the 2nd half, i would ve loved to see ighalo replace nacho too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Onazi is not the only man in our midfield, some of this talk about Onazi is just scandalous. He had a big game and people are still nitpicking for i don't know wat. Even though injured the coach kept him on that should tell us something.

goldfish80:

The blatant hate for Onazi is real. I can't understand it anymore.
Whatever anyone says about Onazi, he is still the first name on the team sheet of every super eagles coach since his debut.
Thank goodness some of us appreciate his die hard and 130% commitment to the course.

Please o! I don't hate Onazi but i felt that he faded in the game. That is not saying he is a bad player. He lost the ball for the third goal. I am making a valid critique. I am not picking on him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
Certitude:

All because he didn't score in one game? I won't say he didn't play well.

Oh God!!! You see you people don't even understand how this conversation started, try to follow it first. I asked Goodjoe if he thinks Iheanacho is untouchable, he said something that shows that he thinks so, so I am now telling him that if a player comes to camp, does better than him in training then that player should start, this is totally not connected to yesterday's match na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:14pm On Nov 13, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Not all abroad foreign groomed players are top quality. Example;Solanke grin
Una don start again shey gringrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:18pm On Nov 13, 2016
You wanna know the truth about Nacho's place in the Super Eagles? grin

For now, He's untouchable... Take it or leave it.

Tell me of a better goal threat and high-pressing forward than Nacho in the Eagles right now and I will end this talk.

Even Kayode wont do better than Nacho. That's a fact.

Iheanacho will continue as our No.9 if Etebo stays on in midfield alongside Mikel and Onazi.

And until a badass no.9 rises, Nacho will persist until Rohr's false 9 strategy works.

But I know Osimhen or Success in the long run will make Nacho return to the "man-in-the-hole" (behind the top 9 as no.10 or no.cool role.... Or maybe go to the bench (an Etebo/Mikel/Onazi(or Ndidi) midfield is evil) smiley Especially Osimhen. Make him wolfsburg career start first.

Mickael2:

Oh God!!! You see you people don't even understand how this conversation started, try to follow it first. I asked Goodjoe if he thinks Iheanacho is untouchable, he said something that shows that he thinks so, so I am now telling him that if a player comes to camp, does better than him in training then that player should start, this is totally not connected to yesterday's match na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:22pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

Cc mikeal2, Supernerd

Or you can not read two pivots, One shields, one moves. So, showing two pivot positions has no way of disproving a fact. Why not circle the point where Etebo got fouled on the left wing? I get it, it will blow your argument apart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:25pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

what is your definition of a better option?? So if Kayode comes and does better than Nacho in training he still is the best option? I am not saying bench him because of one bad game, I am saying bench him if he does not perform well, the whole point here is that people think he is untouchable which he isn't. Against Zambia, we only had about 60 good minutes where we played well but against Algeria we played well for 80 minutes out of 90 because of Etebo's engine and Ndidi's early inclusion, so Etebo can't sit, the only change that is necessary in that midfield would be Onazi though we can manage anyways, so Iheanacho coming into the middle won't make sense, so let him fight for his place in the CF position. We already have one untouchable, having 2 or 3 will turn us into the English team and we know how good they are

Do you think Kayode is a better option? If we had a better striker, Rohr will not opt for Iheanacho. Until we see someone who can contribute more, talking of benching is a very long stretch. Iheanacho is our best option.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:25pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I do wonder why you just dont wanna concede that you're wrong on this.

Etebo was everywhere in midfield and only joined Onazi because of his workrate and super marking abilities also.... He joined Onazi when we were in off-the-ball situations..... But he never remained with Onazi when we were on the ball and moving on the attack...

Your pixs mostly show him in off-the-ball situations... He had to mark and help Onazi choke the Algerians!!! Tu comprends??

I wonder how he got his assist sef... Think about it. smiley

You seem to hinge your point on the assist he made. Probably trying to connect it with him playing a box to box Cmf role.
In the 4-2_3-1 Formation we played Etebo and Onazi where the anchor...
If we played a 4-1-4-1 formation, Etebo would have always been ahead of Onazi.

Let me give you a hint, don't look at the formation of a team you're studying when they are on the ball. You read formation when the team is without the ball.
Onazi just like Etebo would have made that pass to Mikel.
Didnt you see the picture I posted?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
Mickael2:

well...OK
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
goldfish80:

You seem to hinge your point on the assist he made. Probably trying to connect it with him playing a box to box Cmf role.

Let me give you a hint, don't look at the formation of a team you're studying when they are on the ball. You read formation when the team is without the ball.

How can you know who roams forward and who sits if all that matters is when the team is not with the ball? When the team has the ball, watch who sits and who bombards forward.

In one of the pics you posted, you asked where was Etebo. Yet you are trying to make it look like they stuck together like a newly married couple on a honeymoon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:29pm On Nov 13, 2016
Nope... Anyone can give an assist... smiley

My point is simple... Etebo was mobile and ran up and down that midfield all game. He was found everywhere all game.

He was no DMF yesterday. He was more of a box-to-box MF/CMF... Simple as that.

Or does off-the-ball and on-the-ball situational positions of Etebo confuse you? smiley

goldfish80:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Or you can not read two pivots, One shields, one moves. So, showing two pivot positions has no way of disproving a fact. Why not circle the point where Etebo got fouled on the left wing? I get it, it will blow your argument apart.
I can also circle the when Onazi was hacked down on the right wing. It doesn't prove he played a box to box role.
You don't read the formation a team plays when they are with the ball, you read formation when they aren't with the ball.

By the way, you jumped on the argument without following it from the head.

Leading up to the chance benteleb hacked over the bar Mickael2 claimed Onazi should have done better with the marking, I asked him where was Etebo durring the action, he almost said Etebo wasn't supposed to be there. That's where this argument started. Don't lecture me on how a dual pivot works.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2016
Do coaches wish for their players to have injuries in other to reduce selection dilemma cos Rohr may just be doing that now grin grin grin.. You guyz don't need to keep thinking, not all of them will be fit at all times!. Dem no born any player well to do shakara for SE again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2016
I wonder why people r so concerned about the performance of one particular player than the whole team,
It doesn't matter who performed better as long as the team's strategy paid off.
The Goodjoe is right on this one,as he(nacho) kept the Algerians busy trying to cage him,that provides the enough space 4 Moses to do the damage.
I don't think Rohr is going to interfere with this line up,except of course d exclusion of Apkeyi,and injury concern.
The only way to bring in another CF is if Rohr decides to drop Omeruo and play V. Moses as RWB,which is highly unlikely.
For now,Iheanacho continues to lead the line,that's my take on this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 13, 2016
Av being following u guys ,,,,it seems u av forgotten awoniyi of a guy??
Who knows his way about??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
tbaba1234:

Please o! I don't hate Onazi but i felt that he faded in the game. That is not saying he is a bad player. He lost the ball for the third goal. I am making a valid critique. I am not picking on him.
Na wa, he made the pass on all our late counter attacks. He didn't fade he got injured and came back stronger.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

How can you know who roams forward and who sits if all that matters is when the team is not with the ball? When the team has the ball, watch who sits and who bombards forward.

In one of the pics you posted, you asked where was Etebo. Yet you are trying to make it look like they stuck together like a newly married couple on a honeymoon.
If you were a tactics man, you will know the way a team behaves without the ball is the corner stone in analysing a teams pattern of play.
Last night without the ball, Etebo and Onazi held their hands together like I've illustrated in the still pictures.

This argument started on the defensive positioning of the team with the Benteleb chance in the first half.
Please open your eyes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Na wa, he made the pass on all our late counter attacks. He didn't fade he got injured and came back stronger.

I am sure that i said that he made the pass earlier. I also mentioned that iheanacho was ineffective, does that mean that i hate him too?

I felt that he faded, it does not mean that he is a bad player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Nope... Anyone can give an assist... smiley

My point is simple... Etebo was mobile and ran up and down that midfield all game. He was found everywhere all game.

He was no DMF yesterday. He was more of a box-to-box MF/CMF... Simple as that.

Or does off-the-ball and on-the-ball situational positions of Etebo confuse you? smiley

Etebo most times in the second half spent alot of time in our own box helping the defenders out, more than he was in the Algerian half. If you want I can show you the pictures.

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (16140) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Henrique99, Oasis007(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.