Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,908 members, 7,844,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2926) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11833443 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2923) (2924) (2925) (2926) (2927) (2928) (2929) ... (16234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 11:26pm On Mar 01, 2018
gbosaa:

Is Iniesta or Xavi taller than him? His height is perfect for the job he does in the midfield. He is strong and a bundle of energy. He accelerates very fast as well. Ogu does not move or tackle like he does. The only person in the team with similar work rate is Ndidi. Eagles need someone like him to run down Modric and Ratikic in our first match. He does not need the height.

if you read my line very well, i said "his mobility and speed will cover up for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:27pm On Mar 01, 2018
mazimee:

Who dey talk about Agu? That one is not in the same League with the others. Unless Rohr decides to take 6 forwards and 6 midfielders, Ogu will get hit by the hammer. Joel Obi will definitely put up a show in the friendlies.
such optimism.

Make this friendly do come o....instead of you to pray Joel no break leg between March and April, you dey talk about a show he may or may not put up.....thank God Mikel won't be around to block his destiny grin

Imma be playing the Devil's Advocate on all these players y'all are hyping on club performance grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:29pm On Mar 01, 2018
safarigirl:
whatever happened to club form vs national team form? No be by who hot for club, na by who hot for GwG

Club form gets you invites

Performance in the national team gets you a shirt.

But lemme not ruin the excitement cheesy
Kai what a good analytical comment and damn surprise that a lady was able to nail it what guys were misconstrued since morning.Respect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 11:32pm On Mar 01, 2018
elyte89:

Is it a must teams take three gk to a tournament

Hardly does d 2nd Gk get to play at d tournament till it ends,let alone of d 3rd gk playing... To me,I c it as a waste of slot wink
imagine your first choice goalie with a tournament ending injury... You can't be left with just one goalkeeper in the squad can you... Hence 3 keepers

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:33pm On Mar 01, 2018
Etebo's energy is frightening. The commentator said he covered every single grass on the pitch.

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 11:36pm On Mar 01, 2018
SerVik:
Etebo's energy is frightening. The commentator said he covered every single grass on the pitch.

i trust the European , he will still be in one of the rooms for substance test . grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:40pm On Mar 01, 2018
eterisan:
imagine your first choice goalie with a tournament ending injury... You can't be left with just one goalkeeper in the squad can you... Hence 3 keepers
Don't mind elyte89 na comedy he thinks say we wan go do for WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 11:42pm On Mar 01, 2018
safarigirl:
such optimism.

Make this friendly do come o...instead of you to pray Joel no break leg between March and April, you dey talk about a show he may or may not put up.....thank God Mikel won't be around to block his destiny grin

Imma be playing the Devil's Advocate on all these players y'all are hyping on club performance grin

shocked shocked

I rebuke such spirit tongue

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:50pm On Mar 01, 2018
tbaba1234:

One cup game over 2 years ago?

Two cup games not one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:52pm On Mar 01, 2018
comodo:
Karo etebo is balling. Really doing his thing against the big boys.

Welcome news!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:52pm On Mar 01, 2018
Kog45:
Don't mind elyte89 na comedy he thinks say we wan go do for WC.

Boss kog45....... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:56pm On Mar 01, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I hope that Agu guy isn't invited.

Why?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:11am On Mar 02, 2018
ChrisKels:

Abeg stop misleading people, just because you don't have faith on Uzoho, shouldn't make u sale false news about him. Uzoho is Deportivo's third choice goalkeeper, he was at a point, the second choice (when Ruben was injured). When Costell Pantillimon wasn't pulling his weight, Uzoho rose to the rank of first choice for Derpor's first team until Pepe was sacked and he got demoted to third choice again with the arrival of Przemysla on loan. Maybe u didn't know Pantillimon's loan deal was terminated. Derpor's first three goal keepers are Przemysla, Ruben and Uzoho. With the fall of Ruben, Uzoho is now viewed as the second choice within the Derpor fraternity though Ruben retains the title.

Dele Ajiboye was never the first choice of Pandevedra CF when he left wikki for Spain. In fact, his European sojourn was a total fiasco.

Make we no dey lie here abeg

Yes, Francis-uzoho is the second choice goalkeeper but he always mistakenly finds himself in the third tier league on match day instead of making the bench as second choice goalkeeper always does.

I think it is a new tradition in Football for second choice goalkeeper to find themselves in another league on match day but it only exist in your fantacy. Bravo.

What position is Francis-uzoho in that snapshot?
Oga, na you no dey talk true.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:17am On Mar 02, 2018
elyte89:

Dt agu no b am jare,he no sabi "shingbain" grin grin

Na wa for una ooooooo. Person wey dey win man of the match for Portuguese league before em go Belgium Pro league and later Turkey no sabi shingbain!? Na wa for you ooooooo.

Mikel Agu will be one player that will be important for the Super Eagles soon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:22am On Mar 02, 2018
It can if we eventually take six forwards.... wink

Kog45:
Yes real bomb cos Rohr would not have excuse for not given us the best in midfield.

How i wish the squad can accommodate Mikel,Ndidi,Onazi,Ogu,Etebo and Joel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:35am On Mar 02, 2018
Lol

CaptainStephen:
confirm oh grin Thank God Emzor paracetamol is one of Super eagles sponsor, Rohr go need am wella.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:14am On Mar 02, 2018
forgiveness:

What position is Francis-uzoho in that snapshot?
Oga, na you no dey talk true.

That snapshot is not according to the ranking. It is alphabetical order.

Ruben is the number 1 and that was not indicated in the snapshot.

Uzoho is 4th choice but it is not because of that snapshot.

When Ruben was out, Uzoho was the team's third choice.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:24am On Mar 02, 2018
Etebo Jack Of All Trades, Master Of All: Most Fouled Player & Most Accurate Passer Vs Barca
Published: March 01, 2018

Industrious Nigeria international Oghenekaro Etebo worked his socks off as Las Palmas were held to a 1-1 draw by La Liga pacesetters Barcelona at Estadio de Gran Canaria on Thursday night.

Messi scored from a free-kick to open the scoring for the visitors on 21 minutes, but Jonathan Calleri calmly converted a penalty kick to equalize for La Union Deportiva two minutes into the second half.

Etebo and his teammates completely stifled the offense of Barcelona with a strong defensive performance for the remainder of the game.

According to statistics from Whoscored.com, the Super Eagles star was the most fouled Las Palmas player on the pitch, winning four fouls, double the figure of Vicente Gómez and Jonathan Calleri, who drew two fouls each.

Etebo was the most accurate with the ball at his feet of all the 14 players in action for Las Palmas, finishing the game with a passing accuracy of 92 percent to place first ahead of Vicente Gómez with 86.8 percent.

Against Malaga on his debut, he had a passing accuracy of 84.9 percent, Leganes 77.8 percent, Sevilla 74.5 percent and Athletic Bilbao 87.2 percent, meaning he set a new personal record against Barcelona since his arrival in Spain in the winter transfer market.

This season, the former Warri Wolves star has been deployed at central midfield, attacking midfield, center forward, left winger and support striker.

Oghenekaro Etebo's form will please Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr, who has named the versatile midfielder on the roster for the friendlies against Poland and Serbia later this month.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

--ANS

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:08am On Mar 02, 2018
Etebo, Onazi Ndidi.. three battlers/hardworkers.. We can shock a few teams in Russia

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 4:30am On Mar 02, 2018
I had said it before, I am still saying it again Etebo gat a place in that midfield
fabyom:
Awaziem pass to kelechi and musa for both iwobi goals were sublime. I have the match on my phone I watch it everyday. Mind you ogu is too slow. Mikel obi and ogu must never play together for Nigeria. Rohr should try etebo, ndidi and Mikel that's our best bet. Etebo was king against Algeria in the first leg.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by markfemi1: 5:48am On Mar 02, 2018
I just dreamt that we defeated all of the countries in our group. In addition we qualified for the quarter finals only to be defeated. Despite how far we went in the world cup coach rorh resigned due to criticism from the fans.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:22am On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:
Etebo, Onazi Ndidi.. three battlers/hardworkers.. We can shock a few teams in Russia
I'm so thrilled about Etebo's performance.I read he was the MOTM in a game that had Messi, Rakitic, Iniesta, Paulinho. I'd quite put him down as one who might not make the cut to Russia but he seems to be blooming in Spain.

But is it that Rohr has not found a way to utilise this guy? Cos in the SE, he seems to be jack of all trades, master of none. The ANS article says he's been deployed as CM, AM, LW so far for Las Palmas. And these are the positions he's played in the Super Eagles. The only match he really shone was the match against Algeria in Uyo. Since he's been flat. Awful against SA and lost against Algeria in our last WCQ match.

Etebo is Amokachi. Let Rohr find a way to unleash his energy.

Our midfield is full of so many options for Rohr. I am happy that we have Joel Obi coming in for the friendlies. Whatever happens abeg let John Ogu go to this WC. Sentiments abi? But it's justified abeg. The guy need am. Agu can wait.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:49am On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

I'm so thrilled about Etebo's performance.I read he was the MOTM in a game that had Messi, Rakitic, Iniesta, Paulinho. I'd quite put him down as one who might not make the cut to Russia but he seems to be blooming in Spain.

But is it that Rohr has not found a way to utilise this guy? Cos in the SE, he seems to be jack of all trades, master of none. The ANS article says he's been deployed as CM, AM, LW so far. And these are the positions he's played in the Super Eagles. The only match he really shone was the match against Algeria in Uyo. Since he's been flat. Awful against SA and lost against Algeria in our last WCQ match.

Etebo is Amokachi. Let Rohr find a way to unleash his energy.

Our midfield is full of so many options for Rohr. I am happy that we have Joel Obi coming in for the friendlies. Whatever happens abeg let John Ogu go to this WC. Sentiments abi? But it's justified abeg. The guy need am. Agu can wait.

I think the tag of master of all trades works against Etebo. His best position is obviously deep in Midfield.

He is not an AM.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:03am On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think the tag of master of all trades works against Etebo. His best position is obviously deep in Midfield.

He is not an AM.
Let's see him in the friendlies

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:27am On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:

Tbaba you are a real guy here and God bless you for your analyticals on football issues.

Pls does Uzoho being number 4 at his age and keeping week in week out disturb his chances in Eagles?NO but stating it is an offence and they see it as berating but that's the TRUTH for now

The message was that Deportivo was not fair to sign another keeper on loan when they have young promising keeper who already had two LA liga appearances but i wonder why some are always finding it difficult to understand simple comments.

Good that you stated it out in a very simpler manner that a novice in football would understand better.

..... not some online rats who always believe some players are important to their life than the rest of us and only way to express their opinions is to come out like a mad cow on social media thinking we all carried the same mentally disorder syndrome.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:37am On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:

At least, you have just confirmed he is number 4 and that's all.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:53am On Mar 02, 2018
forgiveness:

Na wa for una ooooooo. Person wey dey win man of the match for Portuguese league before em go Belgium Pro league and later Turkey no sabi shingbain!? Na wa for you ooooooo.

Mikel Agu will be one player that will be important for the Super Eagles soon.
Mikel Agu?not convincing so far in Eagles GWG.

I think Rohr just have to do justice to the midfield cos for now we have three untouchable,MIKEL,NDIDI,ONAZI but Ogu had Algeria and Argentina match going for him irrespective of any midfielder form in his club.

.....now we are having Etebo back in a great form in LA liga and also a talented Joel Obi is back and also Mikel Agu which means the midfield is a war zone and only performance in eagles jersey would determines who is going to make it especially between Etebo,Ogu,Agu and Joel Obi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 7:54am On Mar 02, 2018
Malaria induced nightmare. We are winning the world cup.

markfemi1:
I just dreamt that we defeated all of the countries in our group. In addition we qualified for the quarter finals only to be defeated. Despite how far we went in the world cup coach rorh resigned due to criticism from the fans.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 8:04am On Mar 02, 2018
markfemi1:
How many weeks did this dream cummulate from?
Na 3 weeks you dream so oo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:11am On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:

He is not an AM.
Yes you are right.I think his four goals against Japan made his position in the team little difficult for coaches to understand,sometimes as AM or deep playing midfielder but i see him as deep playing midfielder.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 8:12am On Mar 02, 2018
nelszx:

How many weeks did this dream cummulate from?
Na 3 weeks you dream so oo
lol in just one night dude saw three weeks event. malaria grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:14am On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Mikel Agu?not convincing so far in Eagles GWG.

I think Rohr just have to do justice to the midfield cos for now we have three untouchable,MIKEL,NDIDI,ONAZI but Ogu had Algeria and Argentina match going for him irrespective of any midfielder form in his club.

.....now we are having Etebo back in a great form in LA liga and also a talented Joel Obi is back and also Mikel Agu which means the midfield is a war zone and only performance in eagles jersey would determines who is going to make it especially between Etebo,Ogu,Agu and Joel Obi.

Agu is a DMF. He's not a CMF and he's not up against Etebor and Joel Obi who are attacker and CMF respectively.

Rohr just needs to decide the components to form his midfield. He needs to decide on how many CMF, DMF and AMF he needs in his team and I think that will determine who goes or stays.

Besides, I still don't see Etebor as a DMF or CMF because yesterday I didn't see any spectacular thing he did. He was just strolled when he was without the ball and ran vertically at players whenever he was with the ball.

The boy is an attacker at best....

However, many match Agu don play for Eagles wey em no impress?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2923) (2924) (2925) (2926) (2927) (2928) (2929) ... (16234) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.