Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,114 members, 7,845,701 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2929) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11836531 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2926) (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) (2931) (2932) ... (16236) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:50pm On Mar 02, 2018
Could this be true?

Las Palmas To Terminate Emenike’s Loan Deal One Month After Signing Him From Olympiakos

Spanish LaLiga side Las Palmas have made contacted Greek side Olympiakos over a possible termination of the loan deal of Nigerian forward Emmanuel Emenike.

Emenike was signed on a loan deal in January by the struggling LaLiga side to help solve their goal scoring issues, but the forward is yet to kick a ball in anger since his move.
Since signing Emenike Las Palmas have played four games and the Nigerian is yet to get into the matchday squad for any of the games with the club complaining over his weight, before he suffered an ankle injury which has further extended his woes at the club.

Recent reports indicate that he is also suffering from a knee problem, which could require surgery to bring a lasting cure, and the Las Palmas are now exploring ways to terminate his deal following the diagnosis.

Olympiakos are yet to comment on the speculation even though the Spanish media have been reporting the willingness of Las Palmas to end their association with the self exiled forwars of the senior national team of Nigeria.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/03/02/las-palmas-to-terminate-emenikes-loan-deal-one-month-after-signing-him-from-olympiakos/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 104 days 8 mins to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:55pm On Mar 02, 2018
Nigeria's Deadliest Shooter In The Premier League Is Not Moses Nor Ndidi

Alex Iwobi is Nigeria's deadliest shooter in the English Premier League this season, ahead of Chelsea's Victor Moses and Leicester City pair Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho.

According to the statisticians at OPTA, the Arsenal number seventeen has hit an impressive 17 shots on target from the 32 he has attempted, and if blocked shots are excluded he has a shooting accuracy of 68 percent.

Two of Iwobi's shots led to goals in games against Brighton & Hove and Crystal Palace.

Kelechi Iheanacho has played eight shots, however, only three have been on target and the striker ended up with a shooting accuracy of 60 percent.

Third on the list is Blues number fifteen Victor Moses, the right wing-back has a shooting accuracy of 47 percent.

Moses's shots have been goal-bound eight times from the 24 shots he has played in 20 appearances in the top-flight this term.

Leicester City number 25 Wilfred Ndidi has the most shots of all the Nigerian players in the Premier League, 36 in total, but has the worst shooting accuracy of 21 percent.

Only five of Ndidi's shots ended up on target after 28 appearances this season.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26791

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 104 days 4 mins to go

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 3:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
chrisooblog:
the japanese benefactor is a plastic surgeon by the name katsuya takasu he rewarded our dream team captained by mikel obi with $400000 dollars for winning the bronze at the last olympics in rio. this is when the sport ministry, nff then were F---ing up. you can find the link to the story below

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/23/africa/katsuya-takasu-nigeria-olympic/index.html

Thanks for the info, I read it up online. I am with you 100%
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:00pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Good i think this is US 94 midfielders,now let us compared to WC bound 2018.

1.Okocha vs Mikel

Okocha 94 was not better than Mikel 2018.Mikel of 2018 is ahead of Okocha 94 based on experience

2.Oliseh vs Ndidi.

We have a better Ndidi than Oliseh of US 94 playing for Leige.Ndidi is going to WC as a solid player who is fast growing as one of the best.

3.Mutiu vs Onazi

Mutiu was not a regular at US 94 even behind young Okocha who even sat out in group matches at US 94 for Siasia,so i will not compared him with regular Onazi.

4.Oliha vs Ogu

Oliha and Ogu,well difficult to compare cos both are not regular but if we want to based it on Ogu last performance in GWG then Ogu have my nod.

Note I based it on US 94 vs 2018.
Hahahaha hahahaha. Okocha wey for 94 was playing rubbish. Watch the finals of Afcon 94 you go just vex for wetin Jay Jay dey play - poor passes, yeye dribbling Westerhof comot am jeje for second half.
I say this yes. Just know that there's no Nigerian player I love more than Jay Jay but as at 94 he was quite ineffective. Okocha was a regular on the bench both for club and country as at 94.

Make we try bench Mikel now na. Even him substitute we never still see.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ajayi is part of an Al Ahly side that recently matched Man City's impressive records of won games this season in the league alone. Both teams have 75 points in their leagues from same number if games... And Ajayi is at the heart of everything good for the Egyptian lords. He is one of their top players and possibly their best. Just putting the news article in perspective shaa... hence my added info..... But whether he will be invited... well, I don't know and can't say. Will be tough bringing in a new face in Ajayi now but maybe Post-Russia? or time will tell.. make March 7 reach first

Does Al Ahly's Junior Ajayi Deserve A Nigeria Call-Up For Poland, Serbia Friendlies?

In light of all speculations making the rounds as to the invited players for the upcoming friendlies, one name many Nigerians seem to be omitting is Al Ahly’s Junior Ajayi.

Recently named in this year's Africa 11 by CAF beating the likes of Aubameyang and Mane, the former 3SC man is quietly making a name for himself.

The question on if he is good enough or not should be left to the coach to decide.

Ajayi who is regarded as a left winger that can also play on the right wing as well as up top in a 3-man forward line.

His versatility might be a plus for the national team if invited for the upcoming friendlies.

Many would wonder why someone based in Africa should be called up to fight for a spot against the likes of Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi?

His age and versatility is something to consider. While many would say we already have this in the aforementioned players, his ability to create and score goals also counts.
This is not a plea for his invite… but, he deserves to be looked into!

**Yusuf Jimoh

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26789

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:03pm On Mar 02, 2018
mazimee:

How time flies, Tyronne Ebuehi once rejected his invite to play for Nigeria.

Tyronne Ebuehi Later accepted to play for Nigeria

Tyronne Ebuehi Later become the chairman of bench warming management and logistics in Super Eagles.

Tyronne Ebuehi Later declared his willingness to manage the bench warming office in Russia.

Tyronne Ebuehi now an important part of the team,threatening to bench Shehu who was once the best thing after chocolate for the RB position.

Indeed, Time and chance happen to everything.
Hahahaha hahahaha. I like the succinct way you summarised the boy's progress.
Great that we have both him and Shehu. Very good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
Premier League Top Tackler Ndidi: I Try To Imitate Leicester City Stars

Wilfred Ndidi has modestly stated that he's still learning the trade from the best players at Leicester City.
Leicester City have in their ranks Jamie Vardy, Harry Maguire, Matty James, Riyad Mahrez and Christian Fuchs, some of the top stars in the Premier League.

Ahead of the visit of Jordon Ibe's Bournemouth to the KP on Saturday, the Nigeria international has racked up the most tackles (116) in the English topflight this term, ahead of Idrissa Gueye (94), N'Golo Kante (86) and Pablo Zabaleta (81).

''Everyone is fighting and wants to be in the team because everyone wants to play,'' Ndidi told LCFC TV .

''Everyone wants to work hard for the team to win. I would say it’s going well and everyone is focused.

''I’ve really learnt a lot because I have so many quality players around me and sometimes I try to imitate them and do what they do. Even if I make mistakes, it doesn’t matter because I always try.''

The 21-year-old Ndidi has yet to score for the Foxes in the Premier League since finding the net against Watford in May 2017.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26792

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:10pm On Mar 02, 2018
asha80:

when did the bold happen?
The guy chop bench from the SA match through to the double header against Cameroun. He wasn't even invited for the match against Zambia. In Algeria he resumed as Bench manager with one of his assistants Nwakaeme on the pitch while Agbo continued to assist him on the bench.

In Russia, in the land of Putin, where the Russian Bear growls at night, he continued as Bench manager but this time for forty five minutes only. He came into the game in the second half and sang a song with his legs titled 'Rohr don't take me back to no bench'. The track is most likely to be released in Russia by June this year. Watch out!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
Amkar Perm Defender Idowu Names Three Key Super Eagles Players, Says Messi Is An Alien

Amkar Perm defender Brian Idowu believes Nigeria are in a very tough group at the 2018 World Cup, but has tipped the Super Eagles to progress to the next round as they have some outstanding players on the team.

Apart from Idowu, two other Amkar Perm stars in Fegor Ogude and Aaron Samuel could make Nigeria's 23-man roster for the World Cup which will be held in familiar surroundings, Russia.

Idowu omitted the official Nigeria Player of the Year, Victor
Moses, when he named the key players for the Super Eagles, bearing it in mind that the Chelsea wing-back was absent when he made his debut in Krasnodar vs Argentina in November.

''We got a hard group. The standout team is Argentina. Lionel Messi is an alien! But with Croats and Icelanders, we have a chance,'' said Idowu to Soviet Sport.

''Our team is powerful. Obi Mikel won all that is possible when he played for Chelsea. Kelechi Iheanacho and Wilfred Ndidi are doing well at Leicester City.''

Asked if deadline day signing Aaron Samuel has acclimatized at Amkar Perm, Idowu answered : ''He was well acquainted with one of our main players, Fegor Ogude, so he joined the team quickly.

''At the training camp, Aaron impressed quite well. Against Avangard Kursk he did not always manage to link up with Brown Forbes, but this business is done.

''In addition, on Tuesday, Olanare froze. During the penalty shootout, he told me that he does not feel his legs at all.''

Russian-born Brian Idowu netted on his debut for Nigeria against Argentina, eight minutes after coming off the bench.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26780

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours 47 mins to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

The guy chop bench from the SA match through the double header to Cameroun, he wasn't even invited the match against Zambia. In Algeria he resumed as Bench manager with one of his assistants Nwakaeme on the pitch while Agbo continued to assist him on the bench.

In Russia, in the land of Putin, where the Russia Bear howls at night, he continued as Bench manager but this time for forty five minutes only. He came into the game in the second half and sang a song with his legs 'Rohr don't take me back to no bench'.
lmao

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
OK sir,thank you for the last paragraph and God bless.

Sir Kog45, my respect for you has trippled!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:20pm On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:
Wenger needs to leave Arsenal. Any other coach would have been fired.. He is tactical inept now.. Arsenal has the players. They can challenge with a better manager.

What would happen to iwobi bro?? I have only been supporting Wenger because of iwobinho!! He would always give our boy a chance regardless of how he plays..so please let Wenger stay..

I apologize to Arsenal fans if I offended with the above statement!!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:21pm On Mar 02, 2018
Shocker – Barcelona B Flop Ezekiel Bassey Struggling To Get Games In Iran

Ex Enyimba of Aba forward Ezekiel Bassey who was on loan at Barcelona B last season isn’t having the best of time at Iranian side Paykan following his move in September.

Last season Bassey missed out on a big chance to earn a permanent deal with Spanish giants Barcelona after failing to make an impression in a six months loan spell at the club.

The club turned down the option to make his loan move permanent in the summer, and he returned back to Enyimba without a single appearance for the B team of the team who were then campaigning in the third division in Spain.

Bassey moved to Paykan of Iran upon his return from Spain, but the move isn’t working out as planned as he has only played once since joining the team five months ago.

Paykan are 4th on the log in Iran after 25 round of matches and 21 year old has only played once this season, and he lasted just 14 minutes in the game which was their 2-0 win over Siah Jamegan on the 28th of September last year.

Although Owngoalnigeria.com is still unclear if he is injured or not, sources close to the club however revealed that his deal could be terminated at the end of the season for poor performance.

Meanwhile, the other Nigerian at the club Kenneth Ikechukwu has played 12 games this season, and has scored twice following his transfer form Egyptian side El-Sharqiya around same time as Bassey. 24 year old Ikechukwu started his career at Egyptian side Ismaily.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/03/02/shocker-barcelona-b-flop-ezekiel-bassey-struggling-to-get-games-in-iran/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours 38 mins to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:26pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Yes real bomb cos Rohr would not have excuse for not given us the best in midfield.

How i wish the squad can accommodate Mikel,Ndidi,Onazi,Ogu,Etebo and Joel

Then we would have to drop one defender sir, my vote is Echiejile too be dropped!!! Make I run b4 all the experience guardians hunt me down..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:29pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Okocha wey for 94 was playing rubbish. Watch the finals of Afcon 94.
I say this yes. Just know that there's no Nigerian player I love more than Jay Jay but as at 94 he was quite ineffective. Okocha was a regular on the bench both for club and country as at 94.

Make we try bench Mikel now na. Even him substitute we never still see.
Jay Jay was a real gem as at 94,rookie who had everything to become the best in the world but guess what,Okocha then was just having fun.

Pls go and watch Jay Jay against Italy at US 94 or against England at Wembley,there you see very unserious Okocha with his magic foot dribbling who care to see him.

I remember against Italy it reached a point Yekini and Finidi looked at Okocha in dismayed cos the two are free and expecting a pass but Okocha was to himself and telling the Italians with his displayed that i sabi play ball not knowing football is about result and we later paid for it when Italy equalized.

Okocha of post US 94 would have taken the team to final cos at later stage of his career (98-2004)Jay Jay see football as a serious business.During this period we saw Okocha that don't laugh when he balloon free kick into the air like he normally did at Atlanta 96

I know a lot would be surprised that a real talented player like Okocha couldn't win Africa footballer of the year even a serious minded Okocha should have won world player of the year cos he got the potential.

Mikel of 2018 is better than Okocha of 1994.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by markfemi1: 4:30pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

The guy chop bench from the SA match through the double header to Cameroun, he wasn't even invited the match against Zambia. In Algeria he resumed as Bench manager with one of his assistants Nwakaeme on the pitch while Agbo continued to assist him on the bench.

In Russia, in the land of Putin, where the Russia Bear howls at night, he continued as Bench manager but this time for forty five minutes only. He came into the game in the second half and sang a song with his legs titled 'Rohr don't take me back to no bench'. The track is most likely to be released in Russia by June this year. Watch out!
hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:32pm On Mar 02, 2018
PDPGuy:

Rohr can take 8 defenders, 6 midfielders, and 6 forwards to the WC.

So, all those chaps you listed could make the team.

So which forward should he drop sir? Let me list our most likely forwards.
Ighalo
Iheanacho
Simon
Moses
Musa
Iwobi
Ideye/henry/sadiq/awoniyi/osimhen/blazer(the last option is open to anyone that hits form)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:33pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Jay Jay was a real gem as at 94,rookie who had everything to become the best in the world but guess what,Okocha then was just having fun.

Pls go and watch Jay Jay against Italy at US 94 or against England at Wembley,there you see very unserious Okocha with his magic foot dribbling who care to see him.

I remember against Italy it reached a point Yekini and Finidi looked at Okocha in dismayed cos the two are free and expecting a pass but Okocha was to himself and telling the Italians with his displayed that i sabi play ball not knowing football is about result and we later paid for it when Italy equalized.

Okocha of post US 94 would have taken the team to final cos at later stage of his career (98-2004)Jay Jay see football as a serious business.During this period we saw Okocha that don't laugh when he balloon free kick into the air like he normally did at Atlanta 96

I know a lot would be surprised that a real talented player like Okocha couldn't win Africa footballer of the year even a serious minded Okocha should have won world player of the year cos he got the potential.

Your last paragraph is the summary of the matter. For the avoidance of doubt Kog45 did not say Mikel Obi is better than Jay Jay. Key factor is '94' and '2018'

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:42pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

Then we would have to drop one defender sir, my vote is Echiejile too be dropped!!! Make I run b4 all the experience guardians hunt me down..
Don't run o,wait for icon4s to answer you,i will not but icon4s would do justice,so wait.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:43pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ogbemudia Stadium to Host Super Eagles again
By Duro Ikhazuagbe

The main-bowl of the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin City is to be overhauled and returned to natural grass surface from its current artificial astro-turf state. When completed, the Nigerian senior national team will return to Benin City to play home games there.

Ogbe Stadium as the facility was previously known until it was named after the two-time governor of old Bendel State, Dr Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia who built it in 1973, is to be re-grassed as part of the sports reforms embarked upon by the Godwin Obaseki administration in the state.

Speaking during the rebranding of Bendel Insurance FC in Benin city during the week, Deputy Governor of Edo State, Rt Hon. Philip Shaibu, explained that they have since discovered that the artificial turf was not really desirable for good football in this part of the world due to the climate here.

“When next people who are here (at the rebranding ceremony) come to watch a game at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, you will see a brand new stadium that is comparable to international standards,” observed the deputy governor who regularly trains with Bendel Insurance at the facility.

He admitted that given that when the pitch returns to natural grass, “fans are going to notice a difference in the quality of play of the Benin Arsenal.”

President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, who was a guest at the rebranding ceremony was excited with the move by the Edo State government to return the famous ground to same natural grass as the Uyo stadium where Eagles currently play their home matches.

He pledged a return of the senior national team to the facility if the handlers of the Super Eagles are satisfied with the job done there.

“His Excellency, Governor Godwin Obaseki, contributed hugely, while I was running for the Confederation of African Football positions, he has also been in the forefront of hosting all our women national teams in this our great city and what can we reward him with than to bring back the Super Eagles to their original home in Benin City,” observed the NFF chief.

He recalled that at a point in the history of the Super Eagles, eight regular players of the senior national team were from the old Bendel State, consisting of Edo and Delta.

Pinnick thanked the governor and his deputy for bringing back the nostalgia of the days when the Ogbemudia Stadium was filled to capacity before 12 noon, any time Bendel Insurance had home matches. “I believe such era will return with the move to rebrand the team that has started now.”

The NFF president agreed that the future of club football in the country was to be private sector driven as envisioned by Gov Obaseki.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/03/02/ogbemudia-stadium-to-host-super-eagles-again/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours 16mins to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:44pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

I'm so thrilled about Etebo's performance.I read he was the MOTM in a game that had Messi, Rakitic, Iniesta, Paulinho. I'd quite put him down as one who might not make the cut to Russia but he seems to be blooming in Spain.

But is it that Rohr has not found a way to utilise this guy? Cos in the SE, he seems to be jack of all trades, master of none. The ANS article says he's been deployed as CM, AM, LW so far for Las Palmas. And these are the positions he's played in the Super Eagles. The only match he really shone was the match against Algeria in Uyo. Since he's been flat. Awful against SA and lost against Algeria in our last WCQ match.

Etebo is Amokachi. Let Rohr find a way to unleash his energy.

Our midfield is full of so many options for Rohr. I am happy that we have Joel Obi coming in for the friendlies. Whatever happens abeg let John Ogu go to this WC. Sentiments abi? But it's justified abeg. The guy need am. Agu can wait.

He was jack of all trades in that game against barcelona!! Did u think ppl were exaggerating when they said he covered every blade of grass!!

I think we should not give him that amf responsibility, that puts significant pressure on him...he should be used as box2box midfielder..this is one headache Rohr is gonna have to deal with..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:50pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Mikel Agu?not convincing so far in Eagles GWG.

I think Rohr just have to do justice to the midfield cos for now we have three untouchable,MIKEL,NDIDI,ONAZI but Ogu had Algeria and Argentina match going for him irrespective of any midfielder form in his club.

.....now we are having Etebo back in a great form in LA liga and also a talented Joel Obi is back and also Mikel Agu which means the midfield is a war zone and only performance in eagles jersey would determines who is going to make it especially between Etebo,Ogu,Agu and Joel Obi.

With all this midfielders we have, its only Mikel that can truly play amf well and dictate the pace of the game..what about if mikel gets injured in the tournament..then we loose our ability to control any game..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:52pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

What would happen to iwobi bro?? I have only been supporting Wenger because of iwobinho!! He would always give our boy a chance regardless of how he plays..so please let Wenger stay..

I apologize to Arsenal fans if I offended with the above statement!!

Iwobi is a talented lad.. He will get better with another manager
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:55pm On Mar 02, 2018
Well the "if" is what it is, until then.
MetalJigsaw:
He would still lose his first team place all the same if he gets displaced by Tyronne.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:10pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

He was jack of all trades in that game against barcelona!! Did u think ppl were exaggerating when they said he covered every blade of grass!!

I think we should not give him that amf responsibility, that puts significant pressure on him...he should be used as box2box midfielder..this is one headache Rohr is gonna have to deal with..
Whatever position he's played in for his club that has earned him plaudits should be the position he should play for the Super Eagles. But as per his energy I think a box to box midfielder is perhaps his best position. Let him carry his energy everywhere. It's like some children with good bustling energy. If you restrict their movement too much they become dull and sometimes they fall sick. Allow dem yawo and they'd be happy.

I want our players to be happy as they play. That's one secret weapon that can make our game deadly, free and spontaneous. Beautiful chaos or organised ruthlessness. Any one, we dey.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:11pm On Mar 02, 2018
I doff my hat for you
Kog45:
Good i think this is US 94 midfielders,now let us compared to WC bound 2018.

1.Okocha vs Mikel

Okocha 94 was not better than Mikel 2018.Mikel of 2018 is ahead of Okocha 94 based on experience

2.Oliseh vs Ndidi.

We have a better Ndidi than Oliseh of US 94 playing for Leige.Ndidi is going to WC as a solid player who is fast growing as one of the best.

3.Mutiu vs Onazi

Mutiu was not a regular at US 94 even behind young Okocha who even sat out in group matches at US 94 for Siasia,so i will not compared him with regular Onazi.

4.Oliha vs Ogu

Oliha and Ogu,well difficult to compare cos both are not regular but if we want to based it on Ogu last performance in GWG then Ogu have my nod.

Note I based it on US 94 vs 2018.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:11pm On Mar 02, 2018
tbaba1234:

Iwobi is a talented lad.. He will get better with another manager

Me I dey fear bro..see Iheanacho now, I know if pellegrini stayed, nacho would have developed better.., you need a manager that have believe in you or else, you would be on a long thing..well at least after worldcup, it would be harder for any manager to just let him rot on the bench..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:11pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:

Okocha of post US 94 would have taken the team to final cos at later stage of his career (98-2004)Jay Jay see football as a serious business
.During this period we saw Okocha that don't laugh when he balloon free kick into the air like he normally did at Atlanta 96

especially african cup of nations in 2000..to me that was okocha's best tournament for eagles

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:15pm On Mar 02, 2018
The Nest of champions will host SE. that’s now our official home stadium.

TheSuperNerd:
Ogbemudia Stadium to Host Super Eagles again
By Duro Ikhazuagbe

The main-bowl of the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin City is to be overhauled and returned to natural grass surface from its current artificial astro-turf state. When completed, the Nigerian senior national team will return to Benin City to play home games there.

Ogbe Stadium as the facility was previously known until it was named after the two-time governor of old Bendel State, Dr Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia who built it in 1973, is to be re-grassed as part of the sports reforms embarked upon by the Godwin Obaseki administration in the state.

Speaking during the rebranding of Bendel Insurance FC in Benin city during the week, Deputy Governor of Edo State, Rt Hon. Philip Shaibu, explained that they have since discovered that the artificial turf was not really desirable for good football in this part of the world due to the climate here.

“When next people who are here (at the rebranding ceremony) come to watch a game at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, you will see a brand new stadium that is comparable to international standards,” observed the deputy governor who regularly trains with Bendel Insurance at the facility.

He admitted that given that when the pitch returns to natural grass, “fans are going to notice a difference in the quality of play of the Benin Arsenal.”

President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, who was a guest at the rebranding ceremony was excited with the move by the Edo State government to return the famous ground to same natural grass as the Uyo stadium where Eagles currently play their home matches.

He pledged a return of the senior national team to the facility if the handlers of the Super Eagles are satisfied with the job done there.

“His Excellency, Governor Godwin Obaseki, contributed hugely, while I was running for the Confederation of African Football positions, he has also been in the forefront of hosting all our women national teams in this our great city and what can we reward him with than to bring back the Super Eagles to their original home in Benin City,” observed the NFF chief.

He recalled that at a point in the history of the Super Eagles, eight regular players of the senior national team were from the old Bendel State, consisting of Edo and Delta.

Pinnick thanked the governor and his deputy for bringing back the nostalgia of the days when the Ogbemudia Stadium was filled to capacity before 12 noon, any time Bendel Insurance had home matches. “I believe such era will return with the move to rebrand the team that has started now.”

The NFF president agreed that the future of club football in the country was to be private sector driven as envisioned by Gov Obaseki.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/03/02/ogbemudia-stadium-to-host-super-eagles-again/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours 16mins to go

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:15pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Whatever position he's played in for his club that has earned him plaudits should be the position he should play for the Super Eagles. But as per his energy I think a box to box midfielder is perhaps his best position. Let him carry his energy everywhere. It's like some children with good bustling energy. If you restrict their movement too much they become dull and sometimes they fall sick. Allow dem yawo and they'd be happy.

I want our players to be happy as they play. That's one secret weapon that can make our game deadly, free and spontaneous. Beautiful chaos or organised ruthlessness. Any one, we dey.

errrm under a german man not too sure that would happen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:16pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Don't run o,wait for icon4s to answer you,i will not but icon4s would do justice,so wait.

Well, my own problem with echiejile is just that at his best form, he offered very little..just an average left back..now this left back is getting old, loosing form..what would he truly offer. Performace is extremely important sir, he can have all the experience but with no performance he is just useless..

I

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:17pm On Mar 02, 2018
That’s why I want Okechukwu Azubuike. A good ball holder and passer as well.

I will pick him over Agu.

bengine:

With all this midfielders we have, its only Mikel that can truly play amf well and dictate the pace of the game..what about if mikel gets injured in the tournament..then we loose our ability to control any game..

(1) (2) (3) ... (2926) (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) (2931) (2932) ... (16236) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Meliforme, ddone, 9JAMac10, opes, Philosopher1979, Odunayaw(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.