Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,650 members, 7,854,709 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 03:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2930) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11895367 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) (2931) (2932) (2933) ... (16283) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:18pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

With all this midfielders we have, its only Mikel that can truly play amf well and dictate the pace of the game..what about if mikel gets injured in the tournament..then we loose our ability to control any game..
Bengine,pls try and study US 94 team very well then you would not have fear if Mikel is not available and tbaba1234 said something about Iwobi as a replacement,very good option.

If you look at US 94 team in our group stage Siasia was picked ahead of natural midfielders and he did the job very well.

I think Rohr should have a formation that will not involved Mikel in case of anything.Westerhoff did this at US 94 without Okocha in our first three matches.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:19pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Whatever position he's played in for his club that has earned him plaudits should be the position he should play for the Super Eagles. But as per his energy I think a box to box midfielder is perhaps his best position. Let him carry his energy everywhere. It's like some children with good bustling energy. If you restrict their movement too much they become dull and sometimes they fall sick. Allow dem yawo and they'd be happy.

I want our players to be happy as they play. That's one secret weapon that can make our game deadly, free and spontaneous. Beautiful chaos or organised ruthlessness. Any one, we dey.

Well this is the headache Rohr is gonna have, now who do u play in the starting 11!! I know for sure, whoever goes to the bench naa quality player..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:20pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Happy birthday my man.God bless your new age.

Thanks Boss grin. but its still a little bit far.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:26pm On Mar 02, 2018
asha80:

errrm under a german man not too sure that would happen
But even Germany under Klinsmann and now Loew have played free flowing attacking football.

I don't think Rohr has restricted our attacking flow. The match against Algeria, Cameroun (first leg) , last WCQ against Zambia were full of exciting attacking displays.

He's made us more defensively compact sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:31pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

Well this is the headache Rohr is gonna have, now who do u play in the starting 11!! I know for sure, whoever goes to the bench naa quality player..
Don't worry about who will be in the first eleven. Look at the Bench and rejoice. Some matches will be won from the bench. Remember against Zambia, Iwobi came from the bench and ramped up our attacking firepower. Against Argentina, Idowu and Ebuehi came from the bench and fortified the defence and added bite to the attack.

Look at our bench and rejoice not like in 2014 where you'd look at the bench and see Rastaman Uchebo and Ruben Gabriel

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:32pm On Mar 02, 2018
Joebie:
That’s why I want Okechukwu Azubuike. A good ball holder and passer as well.

I will pick him over Agu.

But he can't dictate the pace of the game..he is just a CM...he doesn't have the trickery for that amf...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:32pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Don't worry about who will be in the first eleven. Look at the Bench and rejoice. Some matches will be won from the bench. Remember against Zambia, Iwobi came from the bench and ramped up our attacking firepower. Against Argentina, Idowu and Ebuehi came from the bench and fortified the defence and added bite to the attack.

Look at our bench and rejoice not like in 2014 where you'd look at the bench and see Rastaman Uchebo and Ruben Gabriel
lmao such a depressing bench then

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:33pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

Correct point..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:36pm On Mar 02, 2018
Kog45:
Bengine,pls try and study US 94 team very well then you would not have fear if Mikel is not available and tbaba1234 said something about Iwobi as a replacement,very good option.

If you look at US 94 team in our group stage Siasia was picked ahead of natural midfielders and he did the job very well.

I think Rohr should have a formation that will not involved Mikel in case of anything.Westerhoff did this at US 94 without Okocha in our first three matches.

But we tried this against south Africa and algeria away, we failed woefully to control and manage those games well..sometimes those games seemed like its my Sunday-Sunday beer league team playing..lool!!!

No quality to the play on the aforementioned games..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2018
asha80:

especially african cup of nations in 2000..to me that was okocha's best tournament for eagles
Yes the best with four goals and that great free kick against Cameroon in the final.I think Okocha should have won Africa best in 2000.

Modified..... Courtesy of TheSuperNerd correction,it was 2004 not 2000.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:43pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

So which forward should he drop sir? Let me list our most likely forwards.
Ighalo
Iheanacho
Simon
Moses
Musa
Iwobi
Ideye/henry/sadiq/awoniyi/osimhen/blazer(the last option is open to anyone that hits form)

To say the truth, I've not been following the progress of Simon Moses so I might not be able to say much about him.

But please, I hope the guy has been getting enough playing time and performing well. Any body care to drop one or two imputs on this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:45pm On Mar 02, 2018
chrisooblog:
as a good will gesture i think the nff should offer our japanese benefactor during the olympics a world cup ticket to watch our matches plus a signed jersey from all our players

The NFF no collect their own share now, so they won't give a damn..isn't that one of the reasons they hated siasia after the Olympics..they wanted a cut for themselves..

I doubt siasia was paid his owed salary after that tournament..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:56pm On Mar 02, 2018
darkelf:

To say the truth, I've not been following the progress of Simon Moses so I might not be able to say much about him.

But please, I hope the guy has been getting enough playing time and performing well. Any body care to drop one or two imputs on this

He has been injured for a few weeks now.. should b back this weekend or the next...

Hope u aren't trying to rule him out of the WC?? The dude has a 90% guaranteed Russia ticket oo. barring any last minute injury of course...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
It is not everyday we of the indomie generation clan get the chance to step in and slightly correct our big grand elders.... wink

Uhmmmm... Elder Sir Kog45... I know say na the beauty of the strike make you think say na freekick but Okocha's goal in that final was no freekick ooo. It was a super half-volleyed thunderbolt. With his "left" foot I think... Absolutely blinding strike. Okocha was magic reborn in 2000.

And Okocha did not score 4 but three goals in 2000 AFCON.

It was rather in 2004, where he scored 4 goals in the AFCON and scored against Cameroun again but this time with that very famous freekick we all remember. He even finished as top scorer.

Na just the little wey I wan add.... Thank you Elder Sir.

Kog45:
Yes the best with four goals and that great free kick against Cameroon in the final.I think Okocha should have won Africa best in 2000.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:05pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

But we tried this against south Africa and algeria away, we failed woefully to control and manage those games well..sometimes those games seemed like its my Sunday-Sunday beer league team playing..lool!!!

No quality to the play on the aforementioned games..
Yes you are right but lets see what will happen with the called of Joel Obi but notwithstanding Alex Iwobi should be able to do it in the absence of Mikel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:06pm On Mar 02, 2018
Its not about returning it back to natural grass, does the stadium have what it takes? does it have every sporting amenities available to Uyo and other standard stadiums out there? what is the capacity?
TheSuperNerd:
Ogbemudia Stadium to Host Super Eagles again
By Duro Ikhazuagbe

The main-bowl of the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin City is to be overhauled and returned to natural grass surface from its current artificial astro-turf state. When completed, the Nigerian senior national team will return to Benin City to play home games there.

Ogbe Stadium as the facility was previously known until it was named after the two-time governor of old Bendel State, Dr Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia who built it in 1973, is to be re-grassed as part of the sports reforms embarked upon by the Godwin Obaseki administration in the state.

Speaking during the rebranding of Bendel Insurance FC in Benin city during the week, Deputy Governor of Edo State, Rt Hon. Philip Shaibu, explained that they have since discovered that the artificial turf was not really desirable for good football in this part of the world due to the climate here.

“When next people who are here (at the rebranding ceremony) come to watch a game at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, you will see a brand new stadium that is comparable to international standards,” observed the deputy governor who regularly trains with Bendel Insurance at the facility.

He admitted that given that when the pitch returns to natural grass, “fans are going to notice a difference in the quality of play of the Benin Arsenal.”

President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, who was a guest at the rebranding ceremony was excited with the move by the Edo State government to return the famous ground to same natural grass as the Uyo stadium where Eagles currently play their home matches.

He pledged a return of the senior national team to the facility if the handlers of the Super Eagles are satisfied with the job done there.

“His Excellency, Governor Godwin Obaseki, contributed hugely, while I was running for the Confederation of African Football positions, he has also been in the forefront of hosting all our women national teams in this our great city and what can we reward him with than to bring back the Super Eagles to their original home in Benin City,” observed the NFF chief.

He recalled that at a point in the history of the Super Eagles, eight regular players of the senior national team were from the old Bendel State, consisting of Edo and Delta.

Pinnick thanked the governor and his deputy for bringing back the nostalgia of the days when the Ogbemudia Stadium was filled to capacity before 12 noon, any time Bendel Insurance had home matches. “I believe such era will return with the move to rebrand the team that has started now.”

The NFF president agreed that the future of club football in the country was to be private sector driven as envisioned by Gov Obaseki.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/03/02/ogbemudia-stadium-to-host-super-eagles-again/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 103 days 23 hours 16mins to go

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:08pm On Mar 02, 2018
bengine:

The NFF no collect their own share now, so they won't give a damn..isn't that one of the reasons they hated siasia after the Olympics..they wanted a cut for themselves..

I doubt siasia was paid his owed salary after that tournament..
true the fa might be reluctant but that does not stop the players from doing something on their own part
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:09pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

These 2 men don suffer for your hand grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:09pm On Mar 02, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
It is not everyday we of the indomie generation clan get the chance to step in and slightly correct our big grand elders.... wink

Uhmmmm... Elder Sir Kog45... I know say na the beauty of the strike make you think say na freekick but Okocha's goal in that final was no freekick ooo. It was a super half-volleyed thunderbolt. With his "left" foot I think... Absolutely blinding strike. Okocha was magic reborn in 2000.

And Okocha did not score 4 but three goals in 2000 AFCON.

It was rather in 2004, where he scored 4 goals in the AFCON and scored against Cameroun again but this time with that very famous freekick we all remember. He even finished as top scorer.

Na just the little wey I wan add.... Thank you Elder Sir.

Thank you for that superlative correction,sometimes oldies mix things up 2004 right not 2000.Thanks.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 6:10pm On Mar 02, 2018
Mujtahida:

The guy chop bench from the SA match through to the double header against Cameroun. He wasn't even invited for the match against Zambia. In Algeria he resumed as Bench manager with one of his assistants Nwakaeme on the pitch while Agbo continued to assist him on the bench.

In Russia, in the land of Putin, where the Russian Bear howls at night, he continued as Bench manager but this time for forty five minutes only. He came into the game in the second half and sang a song with his legs titled 'Rohr don't take me back to no bench'. The track is most likely to be released in Russia by June this year. Watch out!

What a poetic way to say this..this really cracked me up..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:11pm On Mar 02, 2018
Shehu Abdullahi currently in action for Bursaspor in the Turkish super lig against Kayserispor. He plays in midfield as part of a double pivot.

Mikel Agu is on the bench. Ekong, well, not available due to suspension I think? Or is it injury? Someone can plss help with that on Ekong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:31pm On Mar 02, 2018
somehow:

These 2 men don suffer for your hand grin
Highly depleted bench. If we had gone with a strong bench who knows perhaps we would have gone far because tactically Keshi knew his onions but personnel wise he didn't get it right. Even with that team Argentina scraped a victory against us.

then sha we really didn't have as much quality players as we do now but Keshi drove past the junction in taking the likes of Uchebo and Ruben Gabriel to the WC.

He even gambled with Oshaniwa and Babatunde but at least those ones put up some acceptable level of performance.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:36pm On Mar 02, 2018
darkelf:

Moses Simon is always a regular at GENT,he is just like their Hazard,he is their penalty taker,he is injured right now,out for about 4 weeks,Moses Simon is a very good player,he will surely be at the World Cup

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:37pm On Mar 02, 2018
darkelf:

I think he's just recovering from an injury
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:37pm On Mar 02, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Shehu Abdullahi currently in action for Bursaspor in the Turkish super lig against Kayserispor. He plays in midfield as part of a double pivot.

Mikel Agu is on the bench. Ekong, well, not available due to suspension I think? Or is it injury? Someone can plss help with that on Ekong.

Ekong got a red card in their last game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:39pm On Mar 02, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Ekong had a red card in their last game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:40pm On Mar 02, 2018
andrew444:

Ekong got a red card in their last game
I nearly thought I had done a double post. Only difference is 'got' and 'had'

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:44pm On Mar 02, 2018
Joebie:
That’s why I want Okechukwu Azubuike. A good ball holder and passer as well.

I will pick him over Agu.

Yes good baller but i thought he is a DM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:04pm On Mar 02, 2018
mazimee:

How time flies, Tyronne Ebuehi once rejected his invite to play for Nigeria.

Tyronne Ebuehi Later accepted to play for Nigeria

Tyronne Ebuehi Later become the chairman of bench warming management and logistics in Super Eagles.

Tyronne Ebuehi Later declared his willingness to manage the bench warming office in Russia.

Tyronne Ebuehi now an important part of the team,threatening to bench Shehu who was once the best thing after chocolate for the RB position.

Indeed, Time and chance happen to everything.
please, this honorable position was held by John Ogu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
Yes. I’m only going by his attributes. That’s where coaches look at before they try out players in other positions.

Kog45:
Yes good baller but i thought he is a DM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
Watch his videos

bengine:

But he can't dictate the pace of the game..he is just a CM...he doesn't have the trickery for that amf...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:27pm On Mar 02, 2018
andrew444:

Moses Simon is always a regular at GENT,he is just like their Hazard,he is their penalty taker,he is injured right now,out for about 4 weeks,Moses Simon is a very good player,he will surely be at the World Cup

This is a stretch...

He is an important player for Gent but certainly not as important as Hazard is for Chelsea.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) (2931) (2932) (2933) ... (16283) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.