Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,978 members, 7,852,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:39 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11878744 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
Uyo stadium has 45 minutes to prove to me it is not cursed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2016
OMG Iheanacho 1-0.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:18pm On Sep 03, 2016
We are covered with the defence. Leon Balogun and Ekong were brilliant.

Two fantastic tackles from Leon Balogun.

Mikel had a good game but it was irritating seeing the midfield lose fluidity without Mikel.

As for Iheanacho, thumbs up. That was a brilliant finish. Onazi put in his shift well. Stayed back most of the time.

Not impressed with our playing style. Too direct and lack of midfield coordination. I will not judge the coach because of the short time he spent with the players.

Nice warm up for the World Cup qualifiers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:18pm On Sep 03, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Time for Uyo to break the jinx.
And Kelechi Iheanacho did broke the Jinx with his left footed strike to the surprise of the near perfect defence of Tanzania.

K. Iheanacho has once more proved TheGoodJoe's suggestion earlier about his prefered striking option.

See as TheGoodJoe just de smile.
TheSuperNerd isn't left out either.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:20pm On Sep 03, 2016
terzurum5:

And Kelechi Iheanacho did broke the Jinx with his left footed strike to the surprise of the near perfect defence of Tanzania.

K. Iheanacho has once more proved TheGoodJoe's suggestion earlier about his prefered striking option.

I yelled when Nacho hit that shot. I told the guys around that only Nacho can hit the ball that way.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:26pm On Sep 03, 2016
Good to see the boys press and keep the Tanzanians in their half most times of the game.

However, our coach should notice that most times the Tanzanians attack, they were more fluid and compact. The ball moved with quick exchanges.

I still feel we should play in a compact way and keep our players close together. This will make passing easier and we can recover better when we lose the ball.

Ekong and Balogun were under much pressure when we lost the ball.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:34pm On Sep 03, 2016
Musa Mohammed put in some good runs too. Victor Moses showed gift on the ball but he needs to work on his judgment. He made a lot wrong decisions.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I yelled when Nacho hit that shot. I told the guys around that only Nacho can hit the ball that way.
I was just beside you grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
Impressed by the overall performance... Defense looks pretty good.. Finally we have invited Leon Balogun... I can not imagine why we kept on managing Oboabana and Efe in the defense when our best defender in Europe was ignored.

Ekong has improved in leaps and bounds. Omeruo will struggle to get into the team.

Victor Moses was his frustrating best. Missed too many opportunities.

Ndidi showed a lot of maturity when he came on but there was no synergy with Onazi on who goes forward and who stays back. Sometimes they went forward at the same time and left the defense exposed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
Ighalo's time is up in the Eagles. He should be dropped from the first team. Iheanacho should strike.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:56pm On Sep 03, 2016
joseph1013:
Ighalo's time is up in the Eagles. He should be dropped from the first team. Iheanacho should strike.

I hope Isaac Success gets an invite soon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:02pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Musa Mohammed put in some good runs too. Victor Moses showed gift on the ball but he needs to work on his judgment. He made a lot wrong decisions.
I became so angry with V. Moses.
I almost came to the conclusion that he wasn't match fit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:06pm On Sep 03, 2016
terzurum5:

If he was not, he would not make those kind of runs. The coach has to work with him to understand the value of releasing the ball early.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:08pm On Sep 03, 2016
terzurum5:

The final score does no justice to how much we dominated this match. Blame it on bad luck, bad finishing and one bad azz goalkeeper.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
Oga Terzurum5, you saw it well... wink

Yes, I am still tightly engaged but I just had to watch this game.

TheGoodJoe said he screamed at Nacho's shot... Well, I just smiled and beat my chest saying, "That's how we roll!!!! That's my boy!!!".... Nacho is Africa's next Big super star.

What a player. This is his first outside-18 goal for Nigeria's Super Eagles. He's already hit an outside-18 "curler" for Man City (vs Southampton last season). BUT THIS ONE IN UYO TODAY WAS A FIRECRACKER!!!!!! A SCORCHER!!!! A GOAL WORTHY OF WINNING ANY GAME.

Even a certain commentator was like, "Had Iheanacho played further forward, Nigeria would have been 3 or 4 goals to the goods..."

We were simply awesome today but Victor Moses, Musa and Especially Odion Ighalo were culprits in front of goal.

I can't wait for Isaac Success' invitation abeg!!! Even Ideye should have started this game not Ighalo.

Ighalo should better wake up!!!! Coz Nigerian football is in a new era of "ballers"... Bad and wickedly talented young players who are ready to step up and be counted worthy of Super Eagles Shirts... A New Golden generation is still being forged.

terzurum5:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:57pm On Sep 03, 2016
Vic Moses was awesome today. His Wing-play was excellent and his footwork always confounded the Tanzanian defence.

His only problems were his final ball/pass and the timing of his final passes and then his finishing... I hope he remembers Conte's Eagle eye. Lol...

terzurum5:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2016
Well said... The Super Eagles were simply on top from start to finish. Chikena!!!

All of the S.E players today except for Ighalo were simply beautiful in their football.

BascoVanVeli:

The final score does no justice to how much we dominated this match. Blame it on bad luck, bad finishing and one bad azz goalkeeper.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

i think it has nothing to do with luck & nothing also about the stadium being jinxed. our strikers have poor shooting technique and needs to be quick in decision making. "Ighalo will never deliver" because he's too average. Playing in England brought him to prominence otherwise he was never considered. Nothing exceptional about him. Ahmed Musa is always oscillating from excellent to mediocre and at worst annoying. So our midfield and attack needs intelligent players not just banal players with poor positioning & reading of the game, players who can not swiftly turn a game around with a sweet touch of technical awareness. We need quick thinking players, energetic, that can pass very well, close down space, & easily turn defence to attack & vice versa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:06pm On Sep 03, 2016
Sir GoodJoe.... smiley

I hope your coach is not thinking of playing Nolito as false 9 coz Nacho can do both the false 9 and "actual" 9 roles.

Question: Will Pep start Nacho in the manchester deby in Kun's absence?

TheGoodJoe:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kwallon: 9:20pm On Sep 03, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:33pm On Sep 03, 2016
So no one actually buys the idea that that ball used is just not it.
it made Moses look so bad.

I think the ball had a part.

besides Musa needs to get better positioning. Victor's wing was our man attack entrance or option cos he wasn't at the right place always...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:40pm On Sep 03, 2016
joseph1013:
I disagree.

When was the last time we had a striker ready to play as if it's his last for this team?

See his coach at Watford shocked that he rejected a move that would see him earn times 10 of what he presently earns in EPL.

This guy isn't money motivated again. He loves the game and that's why he plays with zeal. We need him still to be in for us.

Besides he was marked so hard as we could all see. He tired out at a point, but he played okay. Nacho would be equally marked hard if he played striker, let's be truthful.

For now, let's celebrate that we have bad ass wingers that are now expressive.

Success can come in for more physically games as time unfolds.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:45pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

TheGoodJoe said he screamed at Nacho's shot... Well, I just smiled and beat my chest saying, "That's how we roll!!!! That's my boy!!!".... Nacho is Africa's next Big super star.

What a player. This is his first outside-18 goal for Nigeria's Super Eagles. He's already hit an outside-18 "curler" for Man City (vs Southampton last season). BUT THIS ONE IN UYO TODAY WAS A FIRECRACKER!!!!!! A SCORCHER!!!! A GOAL WORTHY OF WINNING ANY GAME.

Even a certain commentator was like, "Had Iheanacho played further forward, Nigeria would have been 3 or 4 goals to the goods..."

We were simply awesome today but Victor Moses, Musa and Especially Odion Ighalo were culprits in front of goal.

I can't wait for Isaac Success' invitation abeg!!! Even Ideye should have started this game not Ighalo.

Ighalo should better wake up!!!! Coz Nigerian football is in a new era of "ballers"... Bad and wickedly talented young players who are ready to step up and be counted worthy of Super Eagles Shirts... A New Golden generation is still being forged.

I'm angry at Guadiola that he just held him back from Olympic football when he didn't need him, but on the bench. Nacho would have had a decoration in his gallery room by now, maybe even Gold.

I'll watch closely how he gets treated at Man City. But if he doesn't start in the Manchester derby, I'll know who I should conclude Pep is.

this game shoulda finished 7-nil.

I saw the build up of some attack and at least Nigerians can hope that our heart pressures won't be very high when next... abi na just show be this grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:47pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Sir GoodJoe.... smiley

I hope your coach is not thinking of playing Nolito as false 9 coz Nacho can do both the false 9 and "actual" 9 roles.

Same thought here too. I guess Pete would disappoint us both..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:12pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Sir GoodJoe.... smiley

I hope Nacho starts. Guardiola is already in the bad books of many Manchester City Fans. They are angry with the departures of Nasri and most especially heart.

I expect Guardiola to cool their blood by starting their favorite Iheanacho.

Guardiola is here to win titles and he is going about it the way he wants. I think we should allow him make his decisions.

We are seeing the development of Sterling in Manchester City. It shows Guardiola's tweak of Messi was not a fluke.

I think Iheanacho needs the training than the game time. If Coach Guardiola leaves him on the bench, Iheanacho should embrace it and keep learning.

Although I doubt Iheanacho will not make the starting line up after Guardiola tagged him "A NATURAL GOAL SCORER.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Let us hope Isaac Success lights the post soon. We need his fire power in the Super Eagles. The fastest way for Success to get a call up, is to bang in some at Watford.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:28pm On Sep 03, 2016
daveP:
I disagree.

when was the last time we hard a striker ready to play as if it's his last for this team.

see his coach at Watford shocked that he rejected a move that would see him earm times 10 of what he presently earns in EPL.

This guy isn't money motivated again. He loves the game and that's why he plays with zeal. We need him still to be in for us.

besides he was marked so hard as we could all see. he tired out at a point, but he played okay. Nacho would be equally marked hard if he played striker, let's be truthful.

for now, let's celebrate that we have bad ass wingers that are now expressive.

Success can come in for more physically games as time unfolds.

I agree with you. Ighalo faces a challenge of defenders know he is dangerous and Mark him too hard. He is strong and he likes the fight, Strong hold up play.

He needs to drop deeper sometimes to allow himself breathe. He feel Ighalo can hit his form again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I agree with you. Ighalo faces a challenge of defenders know he is dangerous and Mark him too hard. He is strong and he likes the fight, Strong hold up play.

He needs to drop deeper sometimes to allow himself breathe. He feel Ighalo can hit his form again.
Yeah you're right actually.That dropping deep.

Now that Rohr has reestablished the wing strength, he can start to use the Olivier Giroud style so Ighalo can be knocking in goals with his head, especially in matches that his foot is tackled hard.

I saw something close to a barca- attack pattern with Nacho playing like an Iniesta role, but it wasn't perfect cos the 'suarez' wasn't running to open up space for him to shoot. we'll get there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:03pm On Sep 03, 2016
zoboizee:

i think it has nothing to do with luck & nothing also about the stadium being jinxed. our strikers have poor shooting technique and quick decision making. "Ighalo will never deliver" because is too average. Epl brought him to prominence otherwise he was never considered. Nothing exceptional about him. Ahmed Musa is always oscillating between excellent & mediocrity and at worst annoying. So our midfield and attack needs intelligent players not just banal players who can not swiftly turn a game around with a sweet touch of technical awareness. We need quick thinking players that can pass well, close down space, & easily turn defence to attack & vice versa

Nothing to do with luck? Musa was offsides and his attempt still got saved. I feel u are wrong on this one, our boys just couldn't find the back of the net. Tanzania was content to stay back and it was very hard to do much in the box. Ideye also didn't have much luck. This was just a case of jitters and clumsyness. Don't forget they also were eager to impress. I feel Ighalo might have lost confidence in his shooting but he did a lot in building up our offence and he worked very hard. The coach was spot on putting Iheanacho in the midfield as he was given space to create and also attack.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
There were so many chances today, we should b 5 goals up by half time. Watching ball live is very different from watching it on tv. Up nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:55am On Sep 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

See my brother, I have said it here before and will continue to say it. Odion Ighalo is average.

Nigeria has not solved the problem that made us not qualify for the 2015 & 2017 AFCON. That problem is scoring.

Odion Ighalo is just like Emenike. A flash in the pan. This is typical of players hu just pick up form midway in their career. They usually have about 2-3 good season run and that is all.
Do u remember at a point towards d end of Keshi's reign Gbolahan Salami even became more lethal and more of a goal's threat than Ighalo. Against Chad Salami even broke d dead luck before Ighalo made it 2 from d penalty spot.

Ighalo is not the solution to our lack of striking power.

We have seen the solution yet continue to play him out of position.
Kelechi Iheanacho is the man for the CF job.
Ighalo can b his Substitute.

Another player that we either relegate him to d bench or find another role for him is Ahmed Muss. To me it is either we convert him to a Supporting striker, just like what he does at CSKA and some times at Leicester or we drop him to d bench. We have up and coming wingers that are very well capable of tearing apart defendes while also are goals threats: Simon Moses, Imoh Ezekiel, Oghenekaro Etebo & Alex Iwobi (who I would personally like to be played as a number 10 behind Iheanacho).

Victor Moses wasted many chances but if u have been following his Super Eagles career that is how he has always been playing. The positives from his play is he has pace and can destabilise defenses. He has also caused several penalties in d past and he is also a good penalty taker.

It was a good game regardless of the scoreline. I know the entire Zambia football nation watched that match yesterday. I can tell u dey would be scared by now.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:00am On Sep 04, 2016
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Cameroon
Rohr upbeat Nigeria for World Cup after Tanzania win

Victor Moses (left) vs Tanzania in Uyo

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has said his confidence that the Super Eagles will qualify for the 2018 World Cup has been boosted by his team’s 1-0 win over Tanzania.

The Eagles needed a late goal by Kelechi Iheanacho to go past Tanzania Saturday night in Uyo, but Rohr said he saw enough in his winning start that Nigeria could qualify for a sixth World Cup at the expense of Algeria, Cameroon and Zambia.

The Franco-German coach used the Tanzania match to prepare his team for an October 3 World Cup qualifier in Zambia before they welcome Algeria the following month.

“I’m happy I won my first match,” began Rohr.

“We have a good chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

“A team that failed to qualify for the AFCON need confidence and the confidence is coming back gradually.

“We played well and any team who created 12, 14 chances in a match, that tells you it’s a good team.

“We were wasteful but we will work on our finishing.”

He further said he looks forward to having Alex Iwobi and Oghenekaro Etebo, who both missed Saturday’s match on account of injury.

“We need to look at the player in Arsenal (Iwobi)and the player who scored four goals in match at the Olympics (Etebo),” he said.

The experienced coach also praised the heroic Tanzania goalkeeper Aishi Manula, who made several big saves to keep his team in the game till Iheanacho’s 78thminute blaster.

By Kola Daniel in Uyo
africanfootball.com/news/644592/Rohr-upbeat-Nigeria-for-World-Cup-after-Tanzania-win

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: foxman04, Kingjite1, 9JAMac10, shawwal1(m), elyte89, kellycute(m), M7even(m), kennysville(m), chrisooblog, sojious and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.