Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,510 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11756445 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by icon4ss: 10:50pm On Sep 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho played as a striker in Kaduna and in the game yesterday. He plays his striking as a false nine. You will not call Messi playing as a false 9 a midfielder.

He dropped deep a lot in both games. If you remember the beginning part of the Kaduna game, Iheanacho was up front. He noticed the gap between the midfield and attack and dropped deep.

This is something Ighalo should pick up. Dropping deep, helping in build up play and getting back in position to score.

Iheanacho and Ighalo had most of the chances because they were striking.

In the Germany game, most times we pressed, we had Mikel up front. You are right in the 4-4-1-1 set up but what I am pointing out is that Coach Siasia likes two men doing the striking.

No matter how he sets the team up, you have two men forward and two men back.

In yesterday's game, we had Ighalo and Iheanacho up front when attacking and Ekong and Balogun behind. Looked similar to me.

Iheanacho was an AM in both games. As I said players with such capabilities as Iheanacho are made to switch roles to an SS or CF when the team is on the offensive or on an attacking wing play. In both games, he was basically set up to play behind Ighalo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by icon4ss: 10:56pm On Sep 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That is not were we lost the ticket. Without Echiejile's mistakes, we would have won or drawn both games against Congo and Sudan. Not hoping to Win or draw South Africa the group leaders.

Not a knock off on Echiejile. I want a fair competition for roles. Not screening out one entirely. If Rohr had both in camp and selected Echiejile, no problem.

I might say Echiejile's mistakes but that is not the point. I am talking of dropping a Super Eagles player who had a good World Cup and Qualifiers for no reason.

As soon as Coach Keshi left, no call up for him. They even remembered Babatunde from far back the World Cup. Yet no Oshaniwa. Same thing with Sone Aluko.

Oliseh even left Aluko for Onobi. Come on

Nigeria was still very much in contention before d last game against South Africa. A win in that game would have healed the wounds of the earlier loses but we blew it up.

It is not in my character to single out any 1 defender for a blame for a lose. Defending is meant to be a collaborative effort. I am always an advocate for consistency in our back line. By this there would b more co-ordination and understanding.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:57pm On Sep 04, 2016
goldfish80:

Alot of factors cost us that Afcon ticket to defend the title.
Maybe it's a matter of perspective but I think not having a focused FA with the threat of FIFA ban due to whatever politics Nff was involved in played a key role.
I remember the game against Congo we lost at home there was basically no FA due to the ouster of Maigari....

Remember, we had already beaten Congo in Lumumbashi, had we beaten South Africa in Uyo, we would have qualified.
Instead we allowed an average player like Ranti to have a field day. Egwuekwe and Omeruo were totally out of their dept on the day.
Q
Personally, I think we need a steady guy at the left back especially when playing Algeria with Mahrez on The opposite side. If we present a half fit player at left back against mahrez, its curtains for us.

Definitely, those affected the team. Just as the sacking of Coach Keshi after winning the games against Sudan and Congo before the South African game played a part.

However, we can not deny some on pitch selections that played their part.

If Hope Akpan played against South Africa, I doubt Ranti would have had such freedom to score those goals. Onazi lost his place in the defensive midfield to Hope Akpan.

Dropping Onazi to the Right back position and replacing Echiejile with Oshaniwa changed the team. Aluko behind the attack was marvellous. With that set up, we stood a good chance against South Africa.

Note, we did not lose. But Onazi doing his Essien impression left holes that Exposed the defence.

In the earlier games against Sudan and Congo, Echiejile was the culprit. His wing exploited and caused us goals.

As soon as Oshaniwa came in, those same players could not penetrate from that wing.

Not just NFF fiasco.

Oshaniwa played three games straight with Echiejile on the bench.

Coach Keshi loses his job, Coach Oliseh takes over, Echiejile back in the line up and Oshaniwa no where to be found. FISHY.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:00pm On Sep 04, 2016
icon4ss:

Nigeria was still very much in contention before d last game against South Africa. A win in that game would have healed the wounds of the earlier loses but we blew it up.

It is not in my character to single out any 1 defender for a blame for a lose. Defending is meant to be a collaborative effort. I am always an advocate for consistency in our back line. By this there would b more co-ordination and understanding.

I do. When a player clearly neglects his job. I blame the player. When a player does not have the ability to do his job, I blame the player.

If a player on the bench is better than the one on the pitch, I blame the coach.

If Obiora Nwankwo surfaces, I am Planking Coach Rohr

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:07pm On Sep 04, 2016
icon4ss:

Chad withdrew after we had drawn at home to Egypt. Remember they were supposed to play Tanzania same day but could not show up. So we played that first leg against Egypt with d mindset that Chad was still in the tourney. For the return leg in Egypt we still would have lost that game if Chad had not withdrawn.in fact Chad's withdrawal even made us take dat Egypt return leg a do or die yet we lost.

It was too early for the boys to be put under such pressure. They didn't go to Egypt with a free mind. There is no reason why we could not have come out with at least a draw.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:10pm On Sep 04, 2016
icon4ss:

Iheanacho was an AM in both games. As I said players with such capabilities as Iheanacho are made to switch roles to an SS or CF when the team is on the offensive or on an attacking wing play. In both games, he was basically set up to play behind Ighalo.

I think this has to do with the perspective and understanding of the game. I was exposed to much of Pellegrini's tactics and I notice similarities.

Nacho could be seen as a midfielder based on perspective. His switching roles during the game.

Under Pellegrini, One striker stays front. DZEKO/NEGREDO and Aguero/Jovetic drops deep to midfield. Sometimes drops as deep as the defensive position.

You could see them doing the midfield role but to Pellegrini, he is a second striker. Those players make good false nine players.

I can not say this is right or wrong because the second striker has a role of covering the gap between the midfield and attack during build-up. This is a role for a midfielder. Nacho did this.

Then when the ball is in front, he joins forces with the center forward. Nacho did this too.

In recent years, Gunners hardly play with a second striker. It is more 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

So you see Nacho as an attacking midfielder going forward a lot, while I saw him as an attacker dropping deep.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:28pm On Sep 04, 2016
icon4ss:

That was exactly my point. The team had already battled to win Congo by 2:0,exactly what they needed by aggregade to qualify going into the last game against South Africa. Just a win would have been enough.
The second goal Ranti scored was a personal blunder by omeruo, when he passed to ball the Ranti, who then out muscled him and fired home.

In 2001, we had to win straight 3 games to qualify for the world cup, the team did exactly that.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:29pm On Sep 04, 2016
With all due respect but if Samson Siasia had shown faith in Iheanacho we would be going to the afcon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:37pm On Sep 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Definitely, those affected the team. Just as the sacking of Coach Keshi after winning the games against Sudan and Congo before the South African game played a part.

However, we can not deny some on pitch selections that played their part.

If Hope Akpan played against South Africa, I doubt Ranti would have had such freedom to score those goals. Onazi lost his place in the defensive midfield to Hope Akpan.

Dropping Onazi to the Right back position and replacing Echiejile with Oshaniwa changed the team. Aluko behind the attack was marvellous. With that set up, we stood a good chance against South Africa.

Note, we did not lose. But Onazi doing his Essien impression left holes that Exposed the defence.

In the earlier games against Sudan and Congo, Echiejile was the culprit. His wing exploited and caused us goals.

As soon as Oshaniwa came in, those same players could not penetrate from that wing.

Not just NFF fiasco.

Oshaniwa played three games straight with Echiejile on the bench.

Coach Keshi loses his job, Coach Oliseh takes over, Echiejile back in the line up and Oshaniwa no where to be found. FISHY.
I don't really think it was Oshaniwa who transformed the super eagles durring his short spell when he held sway.

I think the introduction of Aron Samuel to an extent revived the super eagles because he brought different dynamics and skill set to the team.

There will always be situations like this when some players are left out of the team and questions asked.
Someone like Kayode Olarenwaju, I believe deserves a look in. He is highly rated in Austria. The fastest player in that league.
I think he helped his team to Europa league qualification by scoring a brace 2weeks ago.

Why a player like this doesn't get a lookin but sylverster Igbonu (sly) got call ups is astonishing.

You will do well to check out kayode on youtube.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:00am On Sep 05, 2016
goldfish80:

I don't really think it was Oshaniwa who transformed the super eagles durring his short spell when he held sway.

I think the introduction of Aron Samuel to an extent revived the super eagles because he brought different dynamics and skill set to the team.

There will always be situations like this when some players are left out of the team and questions asked.
Someone like Kayode Olarenwaju, I believe deserves a look in. He is highly rated in Austria. The fastest player in that league.
I think he helped his team to Europa league qualification by scoring a brace 2weeks ago.

Why a player like this doesn't get a lookin but sylverster Igbonu (sly) got call ups is astonishing.

You will do well to check out kayode in youtube.

Our problems has to do with leaking goals from that wing and the point of weakness was from Echiejile. With Oshaniwa, the leaking stopped.

I will check out Kayode's clip.

Unlike Kayode, Juwon Oshaniwa already did well playing for the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:10am On Sep 05, 2016
goldfish80:

Kayode looks good. Pack, Fast and packs a shot. Very impressive.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by icon4ss: 5:35am On Sep 05, 2016
goldfish80:

Kayode to me is a very descent attacker. However, we have players hu already are ahead of him. Remember Isaac Success is not even in the team yet. With Ighalo, Iheanacho & Ideye already in the team Kayode may not likely get a call up soon.

Talking about Sylvester Igboun, the thing is as at then we were short in the number of players hu can play the "number 10". Aluko would have been a candidate but then got relegated with his club of which Oliseh said no lower division player would make his team.

Igboun to me didn't do badly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by icon4ss: 5:36am On Sep 05, 2016
[quote author=TheGoodJoe post=49079876]

Our problems has to do with leaking goals from that wing and the point of weakness was from Echiejile. With Oshaniwa, the leaking stopped.

I will check out Kayode's clip.

Unlike Kayode, Juwon Oshaniwa already did well playing for the Super Eagles.
[/quote

Do you know Juwon's current form?]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by icon4ss: 5:42am On Sep 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I think this has to do with the perspective and understanding of the game. I was exposed to much of Pellegrini's tactics and I notice similarities.

Nacho could be seen as a midfielder based on perspective. His switching roles during the game.

Under Pellegrini, One striker stays front. DZEKO/NEGREDO and Aguero/Jovetic drops deep to midfield. Sometimes drops as deep as the defensive position.

You could see them doing the midfield role but to Pellegrini, he is a second striker. Those players make good false nine players.

I can not say this is right or wrong because the second striker has a role of covering the gap between the midfield and attack during build-up. This is a role for a midfielder. Nacho did this.

Then when the ball is in front, he joins forces with the center forward. Nacho did this too.

In recent years, Gunners hardly play with a second striker. It is more 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

So you see Nacho as an attacking midfielder going forward a lot, while I saw him as an attacker dropping deep.

Kelechi Iheanacho is an Attacking Midfielder being remodelled to be a striker.

Because of his plenty of pace you see him running to join the CF when his team is on the offensive.

I think coaches are exploiting this potential of his. It is just like having an extra player on the pitch. He does the AM role well and also strikes very well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by icon4ss: 5:48am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:
I think we're getting carried away. It's Tanzania, people!

There are no more minnows in African football.

See some results:

South Africa 1-1 Mauritania
Ghana 1-1 Rwanda
CIV1-1 Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone almost won this game but for a goal line clearance at d last kick of the game.
Zambia 1-1 Kenya.

I personally am not bordered about d score line. I am only impressed with the way d team played.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:05am On Sep 05, 2016
icon4ss:

This is not just a current form issue. When Juwon Oshaniwa did well under Coach Keshi, Coach Oliseh came and never called him. Since then until now. So him losing his place is not current form.

He should have been invited just as Mikel, Ambrose, Onazi, Babatunde, Musa, Echiejile, Ideye, Emenike etc have gotten invites after Coach Keshi. This is beyond a current form issue. This is a total screen out.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:17am On Sep 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

This is not just a current form issue. When Juwon Oshaniwa did well under Coach Keshi, Coach Oliseh came and never called him. Since then until now. So him losing his place is not current form.

He should have been invited just as Mikel, Ambrose, Onazi, Babatunde, Musa, Echiejile, Ideye, Emenike etc have gotten invites after Coach Keshi. This is beyond a current form issue. This is a total screen out.

But now that he is out of form, why do you still want him called? We should call a player based on his performance in 2014/2015? The guy has not played any game since May 2016. Since then, his club has played 4 EUROPA LEAGUE games, 4 Scottish Premiership league games, and 1 Scottish League Cup.

Before the transfer month ended, his coach Robbie Neilson wanted him gone. He said he is looking for clubs he could sell him to.

In other words, we should leave him totally out of reckoning for the Eagles till he shows his stuff at club level.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:32am On Sep 05, 2016
icon4ss:

Kayode to me is a very descent attacker. However, we have players hu already are ahead of him. Remember Isaac Success is not even in the team yet. With Ighalo, Iheanacho & Ideye already in the team Kayode may not likely get a call up soon.

Talking about Sylvester Igboun, the thing is as at then we were short in the number of players hu can play the "number 10". Aluko would have been a candidate but then got relegated with his club of which Oliseh said no lower division player would make his team.

Kayode for the past 2 years has been close to being Nigerians best striker judging by his statistics.
Isaac Success =2014-2016, app (47), goals(7)
Brown Ideye =2014-2016,app,(47),goals (14)
Kayode olarenwaju =2014-2016,app,(66),goals(27)

Judging by this stats, kayode deserves a look in. His assist last season wasn't too bad either, he pulled in 10 assists. Also most of his goals were scored playing from the right wing.
I know you can make na argument that he plays in Israel/Austria within which could be judged a weaker league but who can say it's a cake walk there in Austria? Remember, Saido Mane took the Epl by storm coming from Redbul Salsburg.

Kayode,in my opinion deserves a chance, his performance has earned him that.... Remember, this kid played in countries like Ivory coast and Ghana while he was still a teenager. That alone tell me he is tough boy who is not afraid of challenges.
He is the kind of player that will give you 200% when called upon.

Check out his goal against Rosenburg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGuT2wzkxAI

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:33am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

But now that he is out of form, why do you still want him called? We should call a player based on his performance in 2014/2015? The guy has not played any game since May 2016. Since then, his club has played 4 EUROPA LEAGUE games, 4 Scottish Premiership league games, and 1 Scottish League Cup.

Before the transfer month ended, his coach Robbie Neilson wanted him gone. He said he is looking for clubs he could sell him to.

In other words, we should leave him totally out of reckoning for the Eagles till he shows his stuff at club level.

A player can be good and get treated badly by the coach. We have seen it many times. Most recently, Musa Mohammed. The player we see play for the Nigerian Super Eagles is not the kind of player that gets dropped by the coach. It happened to Musa Mohammed. Do you say we should not have invited him?

What of Onazi and Mikel's cases? Dumped for almost a whole season. Coach changes and both players became key players to their squads. Should we have dumped them?

What of Chidebere Nwakali that was screened out? Looked a useless player who could never make the team. Changes club and boom revelation. Promising.

I did not say we play Juwon Oshaniwa. I said, invite him to camp. For a player who did very well for us, not so long ago, November 2014, all that talent can not flush away.

Invite him to camp and see if he is good. If he is not, drop him. If he is good play him.

That is exactly what happened with Musa Mohammed. We judged his talent ourselves. Not based on club form or what the coaches think.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:38am On Sep 05, 2016
icon4ss:

Oliseh said no lower Division players, an excuse to drop a player like Aluko and then invites Ikeme.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:49am On Sep 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

A player can be good and get treated badly by the coach. We have seen it many times. Most recently, Musa Mohammed. The player we see play for the Nigerian Super Eagles is not the kind of player that gets dropped by the coach. It happened to Musa Mohammed. Do you say we should not have invited him?

What of Onazi and Mikel's cases? Dumped for almost a whole season. A coach change and both players became key players to their squad. Should we have dumped them?

What of Chidebere Nwakali that was screened out? Looked a useless player who could never make the team. Changes club and boom revelation. Promising.

I did not say we play Juwon Oshaniwa. I said, invite him to camp. For a player who did very well for us, not so long ago, November 2015, all that talent can not flush away.

Invite him to camp and see if he is good. If he is not, drop him. If he is good play him.

That is exactly what happened with Musa Mohammed. We judged his talent ourselves. Not based in club form or what the coaches think.

No...we cannot invite him because he has been out for a long time and he is not making progress in his club. The examples you gave do not hold water.

Musa has been around the U23 setup and was not in Rio because of his club. Siasia vouched for him and said he was excellent in camp.

Onazi is playing in his club. He's played all the club's games so far.

Mikel was in Rio and he was our best player. It only makes sense to invite him.

What is Juwon's case? He has not played for about 4 months now, so why should we invite him?

Just like Chidiebere, he should find a new club, do well in the club, only then can we invite him. We are past the era of inviting players based on sentiments. So we should invite him because he played well in 2014? That's 2 years ago!

Echiejile is not doing badly. We also have Madu and Amuzie. C'mon!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:49am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

No...we cannot invite him because he has been out for a long time and he is not making progress in his club. The examples you gave do not hold water.

Musa has been around the U23 setup and was not in Rio because of his club. Siasia vouched for him and said he was excellent in camp.

What is Juwon's case? He has not played for about 4 months now, so why should we invite him?

Just like Chidiebere, he should find a new club, do well in the club, only then can we invite him. We are past the era of inviting players based on sentiments. So we should invite him because he played well in 2014? That's 2 years ago!

I love your response, I don't know why they should be clamor to in Juwon cos he performed well 2yrs ago, we should as well invite Osaze, Dike(the US guy)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:45am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Onazi was not playing for Super Eagles, almost a who season and was still called up by the Super Eagles. He was not making progress at his club. How does that not hold water? I am not talking about now. I am talking about when Onazi was not playing. We continued inviting him.

When Mikel was on bench, we continued inviting him. Mikel was not making a progress at Chelsea but we continued inviting him.

Musa Mohammed is not playing for his club. He did not make progress but we invited him.

So I do not get why you want to justify the inclusion of Oshaniwa with he is not making progress.

Chidebere Nwakali proved that you can he on the bench and it seems you are not making progress. Yet, you are good.

There is no reason for Oshaniwa getting screened out from the Super Eagles. Using he is not making progress does not count when other players get called up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:51am On Sep 05, 2016
zicky:
I love your response, I don't know why they should be clamor to in Juwon cos he performed well 2yrs ago, we should as well invite Osaze, Dike(the US guy)

It is easy to love the response when the person missed the point I made and you also missed it.

How can a player who played Nov. 19 in 2014 for the Super Eagles be two years from now. It is still one year plus. Also, I am complaining of his exclusion since Sunday Oliseh. Is that still two years ago? What of Coach Siasia?

Simple, he performed well for the Super Eagles. Check if he I good. Do not play him unless he is good. If he is not good, drop him. If he is better than what we have, we are fielding a weaker team than we have.

Same goes for Sone Aluko. Try them before discarding them. We might leave players who are better for weaker ones.

For a start, Oshaniwa crosses better than Amuzie and Echiejile. We play ad we do not get good crosses to our forwards.

There is no defence why we should not try if he is better. Try.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:58am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Mikel was on the bench a long time for Chelsea. As you said, went to the Olympics and was our best player. So you agree a player can be left out and still be good.

Onazi was left out of Lazio squad for almost a whole season. As you said, he played all the games for them so far. That means a player can be left out of the squad even though he is good.

So why should we drop Oshaniwa because a coach left him out when the above proved that they were good despite being left out.

Amuzie and Echiejile can not cross better than Oshaniwa. It comes easier for Oshaniwa than these. I did not write Madu because I have not seen much of the game.

Having Emenike, Ighalo, Ideye, Samuel did not stop us from inviting Iheanacho.

It is not about number but fielding THE BEST in each position.

Oshaniwa needs a call-up to camp to see if he is a better option. If he is not, drop him. If he is better than them, field THE BEST in the role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:01am On Sep 05, 2016
zicky:

We have better options than Osaze but I am saying there is a possibility of Oshaniwa being a better option at the left back.

Why? Oshaniwa displaced Echiejile. That can not be said about Dike or Osaze.

Oshaniwa is not playing for the Super Eagles because he never got a call-up after doing well. Not because he performed poorly.

Echiejile got a call-up after performing poorly.

I am not knocking Echiejile. He is ever ready to serve. All I am saying check if we are leaving out a better option.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:09am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Just like Chidiebere, he should find a new club, do well in the club, only then can we invite him. We are past the era of inviting players based on sentiments.

Siasia can vouch for Musa Mohammed because he was invited to camp. You did not say it is wrong to invite Musa Mohammed to camp based on sentiments. You did not say we should drop Musa Mohammed because the U17 was in 2013. You did not say he should find a club and do well there before we call him.

Then asking Oshaniwa to look for club and do well before call-up.

They should call Oshaniwa to camp. If he is not good drop him. If he is good, like Siasia, the coach can vouch for him. Simple.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:18am On Sep 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Onazi was not playing for Super Eagles, almost a who season and was still called up by the Super Eagles. He was not making progress at his club. How does that not hold water? I am not talking about now. I am talking about when Onazi was not playing. We continued inviting him.

When Mikel was on bench, we continued inviting him. Mikel was not making a progress at Chelsea but we continued inviting him.

Musa Mohammed is not playing for his club. He did not make progress but we invited him.

So I do not get why you want to justify the inclusion of Oshaniwa with he is not making progress.

Chidebere Nwakali proved that you can he on the bench and it seems you are not making progress. Yet, you are good.

There is no reason for Oshaniwa getting screened out from the Super Eagles. Using he is not making progress does not count when other players get called up.

So the fact that players who were not making progress at club level were called in the past means we should keep doing it.

That's why I told you that the era of calling players based on sentiments is past.

The implication of calling Juwon based on your sentiment is that we can now call up anybody and say they MAY perform in the Super Eagles. With the avalanche of talents at our disposal, is that the way we want to continue running our football? There is nothing extra special about Oshaniwa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:21am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

So the fact that players who were not making progress at club level were called in the past means we should keep doing it.

That's why I told you that the era of calling players based on sentiments is past.

The implication of calling Juwon based on your sentiment is that we can now call up anybody and say they MAY perform in the Super Eagles. With the avalanche of talents at our disposal, is that the way we want to continue running our football? There is nothing extra special about Oshaniwa.

Yes, if there is a possibility of the player being good. In the game against Tanzania, Mikel, Onazi and Musa Mohammed did well. These were guys not long ago were made to look as if they were poor by the coaches in our club.

Unless you are saying we should have dropped Mikel when Mourinho dropped him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:22am On Sep 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It is easy to love the response when the person missed the point I made and you also missed it.

How can a player who played Nov. 19 in 2014 for the Super Eagles be two years from now. It is still one year plus. Also, I am complaining of his exclusion since Sunday Oliseh. Is that still two years ago? What of Coach Siasia?

Simple, he performed well for the Super Eagles. Check if he I good. Do not play him unless he is good. If he is not good, drop him. If he is better than what we have, we are fielding a weaker team than we have.

Same goes for Sone Aluko. Try them before discarding them. We might leave players who are better for weaker ones.

For a start, Oshaniwa crosses better than Amuzie and Echiejile. We play ad we do not get good crosses to our forwards.

There is no defence why we should not try if he is better. Try.

Imagine! The last time he played for the Eagles was November 2014. That's almost two years. we are in September 2016. The last time he played for his club was May 2016, yet you want him near Super Eagles.

If we invite Aluko, it is justified. Aluko is playing REGULARLY for his club. You cannot even compare the two of them. I repeat: Let Juwon go another club and prove himself before we invite him. Is that asking for too much?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:25am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

You say there is nothing extra special of Oshaniwa. Then a player he displaced in the National team gets a regular call.

That is how football is. A good player can be made to look poor by coaches. It happened repeatedly. From Tevez, to Mascherano, to K. P. Boateng, to Mikel.

It is very simple. I am not saying call him on sentiments. I say judge him if he is good enough. If he is not good enough drop him.

What is bad is if he is better than those we are calling and we refuse to check if he is better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:27am On Sep 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Imagine! The last time he played for the Eagles was November 2014. That's almost two years. we are in September 2016. The last time he played for his club was May 2016, yet you want him near Super Eagles.

If we invite Aluko, it is justified. Aluko is playing REGULARLY for his club. You cannot even compare the two of them. I repeat: Let Juwon go another club and prove himself before we invite him. Is that asking for too much?

Why are you dragging the argument back?

Is Musa Mohammed playing regularly for his club? Did that stop him from having a good game?

When Mikel was not paying regularly, for over a year, did that stop us from calling him?

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: tikristinimi21 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.