Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,682 members, 7,823,923 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3964) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11723530 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3961) (3962) (3963) (3964) (3965) (3966) (3967) ... (16168) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elrony(m): 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2018
chidexxy007:

kai, dem need deliverance seh..
Wey ur anointing oyel sef cheesy cheesy

I just came to have words with my brethren.... cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 11:34pm On Jun 06, 2018
elrony:

When I say I have hope yet am not hopeful, they call me Kofi.
We will all support the team if they go far, but let's not keep expectations sky high.
The team na average team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elrony(m): 11:39pm On Jun 06, 2018
Unlimited22:

We will all support the team if they go far, but let's not keep expectations sky high.

Be steadfast in your realness....hold on to it!!! cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:40pm On Jun 06, 2018
Truidstar:

I have challenged some posters in here and I lay the same challenge to you. Go and watch Croatia play for 90 minutes and you will know how important moses is and will be In our match against Croatia.

Agreed without reservation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
Icon4s:

the scoreline seemed to be getting worse with each passing friendly.

If it is now they will use 1+1=2 and say Spain would hammer us 7-0 or 7-1 in that First game.

This is nothing but damage limitation, because I recall you saying after the Congo friendly that we will know more about this team after the England game.
I find it perplexing you're saying this now.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Skimpledawg(m): 11:46pm On Jun 06, 2018
Elrony, keep up with the Lord's work.

It is marvelous in his eyes cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:49pm On Jun 06, 2018
elrony:

Reinhard Bonkeè , I thought he was a prophet? grin
This boy, this boy no finish me with laughter here abeg you. Kai too funny
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 2lola: 11:53pm On Jun 06, 2018
[color=#006600][/color] my own observation
I noticed that the team were probably practicing crossing and heading against Czech who are I think were very good at this. You will notice that the team really suffer from areal against England probably they worked on it and tried checking the success rate. There were dome ball that were suppose to be a simple pass but you see them crossing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
edi287:
I still insist taking both Simy and Lokosa was a bad idea. We should've invited Simy and used the other spot to try out any available creative player we had i.e Samuel Kalu, Onyekuru, Olayinka, Aluko, etc. Right now it looks like we lack guile and someone to stretch things outwide.
This plus Simon getting injured na double headache.
We have no choice than to switch to a 3-5-2 now. It should be our number one formation for now.
As for Shehu, I still think fasting might have played some role in his poor performances so far. Still prefer Ebuehi sha especially if we're going to play 3-5-2.

The absence of Moses Simon has greatly affected the team playing Rohr’s preferred 4-2-3-1. His efficiency on the right brought out the best in Shehu, without him, Shehu hardly has any runner before him and a helper to track the runs of the opposite wing back and wing forward.
Ebuehi is playing well because he has a spare CB to cover for him in a 3-5-2 formation.
Rohr has a dilemma in his hands which he must figure out before the sink or swim game against Croatia . Also, it appears there's little understanding between Idowu and Moses. They hardly tag team on that left wing. My observation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:59pm On Jun 06, 2018
Oasis007:
grin

Someone needs to hold Chriskel very tight before he starts breaking Things on this Thread. Seems he visited Metaljigsaw and got drunk?!

Honestly, I'm finding it unbelievable that he could lose complete Faith in Rohr and his Crew because of Warm-up Matches.

I hope he won't deactivate if we couldn't make it pass the Group Stage. This is someone that claimed he has an Insider in the Rohr's Camp?! Someone that does give us fake Hopes and Rumors?!

LMAO!
Abeg nawwww Oasis. Your last line na new testament in savagery. I dey here dey laugh like craze man. Egedeman no get Egede
TheSuperNerd help me with that meme of a Chinese looking baby laughing with one hands raised like him.
wan pee

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:04am On Jun 07, 2018
Mujtahida:

Abeg nawwww Oasis. Your last line na new testament in savagery. I dey hear dey laugh like craze man. Egedeman no get Egede
The.SuperNerd help me with that meme of a Chinese looking baby laughing with one hands raised like him.
wan pee

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Theflint1(m): 12:05am On Jun 07, 2018
Also Victor Moses seems to be playing deeper than necessary, probably to cover for Idowu...Rohr should do the bold thing and make Moses own that LWB
goldfish80:

The absence of Moses Simon has greatly affected the team playing Rohr’s preferred 4-2-3-1. His efficiency on the right brought out the best in Shehu, without him, Shehu hardly has any runner before him and a helper to track the runs of the opposite wing back and wing forward.
Ebuehi is playing well because he has a spare CB to cover for him in a 3-5-2 formation.
Rohr has a dilemma in his hands which he must figure out before the sink or swim game against Croatia . Also, it appears there's little understanding between Idowu and Moses. They hardly tag team on that left wing. My observation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:06am On Jun 07, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

grin grin
The laughter don start again. Kai kai. Nigerians have the richest sense of humour. Dark humour. Inside of pain, dem go find laughter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidexxy007(m): 12:07am On Jun 07, 2018
elrony:

lol, keep up the good word work cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidexxy007(m): 12:10am On Jun 07, 2018
goldfish80:

When Moses is forming Maradona plus Pele? na to stand and watch the wonderment na grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:17am On Jun 07, 2018
Icon4s:

OK.

What of the one to the Plastic fans just before Brazil 2014?
i can't find it.

Checked through all my topics and it is missing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by khunz: 1:34am On Jun 07, 2018
Our Super Eagles are like 2.2 grade students, they can score 40+% in some courses and 70+% in others varying per semester or just 55% -59% in other semesters.

Their inconsistency is a dilemma for both pros and cons.

They were not expected to qualify,but they did it with brilliance.

The end result of friendlies have not been pleasant aside Argentina,but the problem is always the great/good 2nd half performance they display.

They are like small touch of salt on the tongue ,you can't spit it neither can you swallow it.

Any performance they produce at the world cup will not surprise me,and as a patriotic fan ,I hope for the best.

1 Eagle,and that's our SUPER EAGLE

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:47am On Jun 07, 2018
Just finished watching the second half and to be honest I was impressed with their ball distribution and cohesiveness.

*My findings.

Iwobi is an attacking midfield gem...He need to play there more often and gain confidence. His confidence is growing by every game.

Mikel is better in the CM,he is not an attacking threat.

Ndidi is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode...He is definitely our best player against Czeck republic followed by Iwobi, John Ogu, Ighalo ,Ebuehi and Balogun .

Balogun is coming back to form, he probably learned Omeruo is just waiting for either of him nor Ekong to slip.

Ebuehi is a beauty to watch, he make Shehu look like a joke.

Ogu is so smooth with his beautiful spray of passes and always well positioned.

Ekong was also very solid and held his own but Balogun is coming back very strong to retain the warrior status he once held.

Idowu does not belong to this class of ballers...Dude is amateurish and look really soft.

I don't think Mikel has anything more to offer...just a leadership figure, it beginning to look obvious that Iwobi is a better attacking midfielder.

*Team weaknesses.
Moses is selfish and his nonchalant attitude affects the whole team. All Moses need is little dribbles here and there with those daring runs and quickly release the phucking ball and don't choke the game.

*Closing comments.

This team can work if they gell. This team is very young and talented and we must look beyond the world cup....Daalu nu

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:49am On Jun 07, 2018
chidexxy007:

When Moses is forming Maradona plus Pele? na to stand and watch the wonderment na grin grin

Moses plays like somebody who was dropped when he was a baby. Dude don't understand how to use his talent,he needs to watch Messi and how he carries his team along
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:58am On Jun 07, 2018
Icon79:
Frankly, this team is NOT as bad as people make. it out to be. The team just needs a few minor tweaks to become great. Here are the keys:

- Play 3-5-2

- Move Mikel CM

- Play Iwobi AM

- Move V. Moses LWB

- Ebuehi RWB

Our best line-up should be;

Troost- Balogun- Ogu (or Awaziem)

Moses - Mikel - Ndidi - Ebuehi

Iwobi

Iheanacho - Ighalo (preferably Simy, but Rohr might want Ighalo)

@ tbaba, could someone please pass this info along to Gernot Rohr or any member of the technical crew?
They are not picking my calls any more shocked

O pari
This analysis is top notch. My reverence for you on this thread is adding in leaps.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:19am On Jun 07, 2018
just watched the full match on youtube. we fans tend to over exaggerate things instead putting it down the way it is. the team as a unit played well and the understanding and cohesion is getting better as the day goes. the only minus i see in the team is brian idowu who i dont from day one expect much from. rohr dropping aina for him and echiejile is questionable. if he utilized the chances he had, he would have scored a goal and atleast gotten an assist. he was the biggest culprit from my observation. shehu should fight for a place in the midfield because benfica's new signing is one hell of a talent and with his strong performance against argentina, england and czech he is the undisputed rightback of the team. deploying ogu at the back is another good gamble by from rohr. his calmness and ability to see a pass helps the team to build up play from the back which is a big plus. mikel had a good game but i still believe his best position in this team is the central midfield position. iwobi is a steal from England.he was magnificent and the teams biggest hope to open up an oppositions defence. rohr should utilize this quality of his by pushing him forward to play behind any of ighalo/iheanancho which will afford him the opportunity to have a sniff at goal. victor moses need to be cautioned because he is becoming more individualistic than playing for the team. lastly francis uzoho's confidence is growing by the day. even if rohr gets sacked after the world cup, unearthing a goal minder who will serve the team for the next 10 years will be his greatest achievement.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princfred(m): 4:46am On Jun 07, 2018
So Rohr should not test all possibly combos and position before the tournament? He should just play the best and win all friendlies then any injury to any of "the best " during the tournament and the team crumbles abi? Just like during the last WC when an injury to Onazi ended the teams game due to lack of plan B. Rohr is doing exactly what friendlies are to be used for- test different personnel and plans with different formations. Not play only the best giving away team structure for opponents to work with and counter.
Beyond the negative unconstructive low IQ blabs littered here which does not address core technical issues, the team is not terrible but a lot of work needs to be done especially up field and for defense of set pieces.

Now he knows Iwobi can replace mikel in deep position. Though Mikel is still better in deep position since he can throw long and short passes and Iwobi is better in No 8 role since he is a quicker passer.

The team plays well on their half but needs good coordination in the opponents half and thats where Ighalo needs to step up. He should help to make play by drawing back and using the flanks too rather than just waiting for the final pass. He can only get balls by having good positioning and playing with the team from deep to keep off from defenders rather than sticking with opponents defenders all day long. The team has to work on final balls too.
The team also need to attack the right places in the opponents half.

Moses has to combine his power pressing with quick passes too. He should stop trying to dribble all the time as that makes it easy for defenders to read him.

John Ogu falls back to do defensive duties way too much causing the other midfielders ( in this case Iwobi) to fall too deep and do too much work to join attack hence i prefer Onazi if only he can buckle up.

Idowu is ok defensively not soo much offensively where he doesn't seem to know exactly what to do; giving a good pass instead of trying to score from the wrong positions, making a run to the left to widen attack.

Nacho can only play from the left. Thats from where he can cut in and blow a shot a lay/ pierce a pass like Mata. All the talk of him serving as a double 9 or 8 is gibberish unless one does not acknowledge reality.

Above all, combative marking in the opponents half is lacking and imperative .

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princfred(m): 5:19am On Jun 07, 2018
Theflint1:
Also Victor Moses seems to be playing deeper than necessary, probably to cover for Idowu...Rohr should do the bold thing and make Moses own that LWB
How many times have you seen him play there abi you wan experiment for WC. Which mumu coach does such nonsense?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princfred(m): 5:23am On Jun 07, 2018
ChrisKels:
I over rated Rohr, that man I so poor. His ineptitude is unquantifiable. I dont have no single confidence in him anymore.

Why cant we have Herve Reinard as our coach?
Sharrap there . What do you know about football?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:59am On Jun 07, 2018
goldfish80:

This is nothing but damage limitation, because I recall you saying after the Congo friendly that we will know more about this team after the England game.
I find it perplexing you're saying this now.

Ow of course we have definitely known more about this team and we have learnt a lot.

And I find it even more perplexing that you can completely write off a team based merely on friendly matches. And even more perplexing that you will always seize every opportunity to talk down a national team you claim to support.

I have been long enough in this game to know the extent to which outcome of friendlies can affect the performance of a team when the major tournaments starts.

Even just recently Siasia's U23 team lost 6-1 to Denmark in a friendly game just before the kickoff of the Olympics. But when both teams met again but this time at the Olympics what was the scoreline? 2-0 for Nigeria.

See, I am not afraid of failure. Even if the team goes to Russia and loses all 3 matches will heaven fall?
I cannot just go into a major tournament like the FIFA WC with the mindset that we will crash out at the group stage.

Finally, always having a defeatist mindset will do one more harm than good. It pays to always remain positive even when all odds are against you. That alone can spur you on to success in life. Food for thought.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:05am On Jun 07, 2018
princfred:
So Rohr should not test all possibly combos and position before the tournament? He should just play the best and win all friendlies then any injury to any of "the best " during the tournament and the team crumbles abi? Just like during the last WC when an injury to Onazi ended the teams game due to lack of plan B. Rohr is doing exactly what friendlies are to be used for- test different personnel and plans with different formations. Not play only the best giving away team structure for opponents to work with and counter.
Beyond the negative unconstructive low IQ blabs littered here which does not address core technical issues, the team is not terrible but a lot of work needs to be done especially up field and for defense of set pieces.

Now he knows Iwobi can replace mikel in deep position. Though Mikel is still better in deep position since he can throw long and short passes and Iwobi is better in No 8 role since he is a quicker passer.

The team plays well on their half but needs good coordination in the opponents half and thats where Ighalo needs to step up. He should help to make play by drawing back and using the flanks too rather than just waiting for the final pass. He can only get balls by having good positioning and playing with the team from deep to keep off from defenders rather than sticking with opponents defenders all day long. The team has to work on final balls too.
The team also need to attack the right places in the opponents half.

Moses has to combine his power pressing with quick passes too. He should stop trying to dribble all the time as that makes it easy for defenders to read him.

John Ogu falls back to do defensive duties way too much causing the other midfielders ( in this case Iwobi) to fall too deep and do too much work to join attack hence i prefer Onazi if only he can buckle up.

Idowu is ok defensively not soo much offensively where he doesn't seem to know exactly what to do; giving a good pass instead of trying to score from the wrong positions, making a run to the left to widen attack.

Nacho can only play from the left. Thats from where he can cut in and blow a shot a lay/ pierce a pass like Mata. All the talk of him serving as a double 9 or 8 is gibberish unless one does not acknowledge reality.

Above all, combative marking in the opponents half is lacking and imperative .

Wow, wow, wow. God bless you for this post. Such intelligent and we'll structured analysis. But may I point out that Iheanacho is more lethal when played from the Right. We need him as a goal getter and SS. If we needed him as a winger we can then place him on the left as you have opined.

TheSuperNerd, please look for a very nice place in the house and put princfred. We need to welcome him with a very good reception.

We need more of you here please.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:14am On Jun 07, 2018
princfred:
Sharrap there . What do you know about football?

My brother the thing tire person o. Say make them sack Rohr before the Croatia game just because they lost 2 frienlies in a row.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 6:17am On Jun 07, 2018
Whenever Moses is with the ball he makes the right run, throw the right leg but he will never put you through with a simple pass. I am re-watching the match again in very little details and you can see why our attack never click when Moses is there...At around 12th minutes there was a simple pass he could have dropped for Iwobi to finish up but he attempted to dribble his grandfathers once more and lost the ball and he Iwobi was so mad and frustrated.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:34am On Jun 07, 2018
OMANBALA1:
Whenever Moses is with the ball he makes the right run, throw the right leg but he will never put you through with a simple pass. I am re-watching the match again in very little details and you can see why our attack never click when Moses is there...At around 12th minutes there was a simple pass he could have dropped for Iwobi to finish up but he attempted to dribble his grandfathers once more and lost the ball and he Iwobi was so mad and frustrated.

Moses is not a tactically disciplined player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:59am On Jun 07, 2018
Kofi
Unlimited22:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:02am On Jun 07, 2018
Dem don perfect am now?
2lola:
my own observation
I noticed that the team were probably practicing crossing and heading against Czech who are I think were very good at this. You will notice that the team really suffer from areal against England probably they worked on it and tried checking the success rate. There were dome ball that were suppose to be a simple pass but you see them crossing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 7:05am On Jun 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Moses is not a tactically disciplined player.
Only in the national team!

(1) (2) (3) ... (3961) (3962) (3963) (3964) (3965) (3966) (3967) ... (16168) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Dannyxy(m), bigblangston, superbloke(m), gloryon(m), chuks404 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.