Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,252 members, 7,864,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 03:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11952003 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4271) (4272) (4273) (4274) (4275) (4276) (4277) ... (16369) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 24, 2018
diadem10:

The team looked more potent is different from Ighalo scored or assisted a goal? Comprehende?

The fact is we looked more like scoring more goals with Ighalo in the team. He was able to take up great position to unsettle the Iceland defenders who focussed on him because he was a threat unlike Nacho. The let down was Ighalo decision making like I stated earlier.

I just hope Musa won't be man marked by the Argentines and with no other forward to act as a threat to relieve Musa the pressure, he will be in for a long game.

Oga, you did not answer my question. I ask again, how many goals and assists has Ighalo's potency in front of goal produced since the Cameroon match?

As per your fears of Musa being man marked by the Argentines in your last paragraph; its obvious you have not watched Argentina recently. They leave a lot of space at the back which can be easily exploited by Moses, Etebo, Iheanacho and Musa.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:16am On Jun 24, 2018
somehow:
Should we be using 3:5:2 against Argentina come Tuesday knowing fully well they will have more attackers on the field of play than midfielders/defenders?

I would vouch for a 4-5-1 against Argentina. playing three at the back would create space out wide for Messi and or Dybala depending on who starts on the wings and these two guys can commit players. a 4-5-1 maintains that defensive rigidity especially since Moses has decided that whenever he okays as a wingback for us that he would be more concerned with attacking than defending
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 11:16am On Jun 24, 2018
somehow:
Should we be using 3:5:2 against Argentina come Tuesday knowing fully well they will have more attackers on the field of play than midfielders/defenders?
Yes na. The 3-5-2 can morph into a 5-4-1 when we're defending. Musa stays alone with their slow defenders with Iheanacho dropping a bit deeper to help Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo. Moses and Ebuehi play closer to the trio of Omeruo, EKong and Balogun.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2018
safarigirl:
how can you combine Iwobi and Simy? In a key game like this, you cannot field players whose capabilities are largely unknown

You can field Iwobi with Musa or Iheanacho, but allow Simy keep Ighalo company on the bench. You cannot be taking such a dangerous risk for a game this important

As far as I am concerned, the line up against Iceland can do damage to Argentina. There is no studying that the Argentine team want to study that will nullify that team. They don't have the personnel to nullify that team.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 11:18am On Jun 24, 2018
safarigirl:
he's talking about changing the players, not necessarily the forwards alone

Iwobi has dealt with them before, he can do it again, he and Musa also played together in that game and Musa had the assist for his second goal. So, Iwobi should be ahead of Ighalo and Simy if we are talking forwards that can play with Musa
agree without reservation!

in komekn's voice °
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:18am On Jun 24, 2018
darkelf:

And how many of our player know you exist sorry?

cool

Iheanacho does, Samuel Chukwueze does, the Nwakali brothers do, chidera Eze does, Chigozie obasi does, Kenneth Omeruo does, Sunday Mba my village boy does, Kelechukwu emetole did grin. But no Argentine player knows I exist grin

Christian Chukwu and many ex internationals who were my marternal grandpa's teammates in Enugu Rangers do

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 11:18am On Jun 24, 2018
Ighalo is not a modern striker to me

You can't be a striker, and be in one position all the time you will easily be tamed but if you keep on moving around it would be hard for defenders to contain you.

Ighalo just need to work on his movement that all.

Watch when ighalo came in he was in position to score but he flopped because his body movement wasn't good enough, but Ahmed musa got that opportunity once and he was able to score with it(2nd goal).

Chikena cool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 24, 2018
Do y'all know that..

whatever y'all say or thinks won't n any way change anything on our game against Argentina?? grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 11:20am On Jun 24, 2018
I don't see Rohr playing 3-5-2 against Argentina cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:21am On Jun 24, 2018
Unlimited22:

Yes na. The 3-5-2 can morph into a 5-4-1 when we're defending. Musa stays alone with their slow defenders with Iheanacho dropping a bit deeper to help Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo. Moses and Ebuehi play closer to the trio of Omeruo, EKong and Balogun.

Your fingers were too fast. You just posted my mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:21am On Jun 24, 2018
Unlimited22:

3:5:2 can easily turn to 5:3:2 or 5:4:1 when defending if the right players start
Mickael2:

I would vouch for a 4-5-1 against Argentina. playing three at the back would create space out wide for Messi and or Dybala depending on who starts on the wings and these two guys can commit players. a 4-5-1 maintains that defensive rigidity especially since Moses has decided that whenever he okays as a wingback for us that he would be more concerned with attacking than defending

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:21am On Jun 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

I dey suspect your leanings. If you know you know

grin

I have nothing hidden in my Sleeves though, just wanna be peaceful with Everyone cos we are Brothers already!

There is something I certainly know; we all want the same for the Eagles - Success! Even those casting Aspersions upon the Team are doing it out of love for the Eagles.

You need to see how Peeps on the European Section followed and celebrated the Victory. Many of them just don't wanna have full Confidence in the Team like us here and eventually get disappointed.

One Love is all I want.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:21am On Jun 24, 2018
Mickael2:

from this picture he could have clearly put it under the GK and he would have scored. Besides no sane striker would pass that ball, even if its Messi asking for that pass you can't pass to him, that's your moment of glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4f5mEy-NE

Watch from 00:28 you could see Anderson had a Chance to score but instead opted for the man in space. As I said before the team's glory beats an individual glory. Which is what I am pointing out. You are more interested in Musa's glory than the team's glory.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 11:21am On Jun 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Your fingers were too fast. You just posted my mind.
I believe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:25am On Jun 24, 2018
bataderemi:

Another angle would be that passing back from here, which is what passing to kelechi is, would give the other defender enough time to recover. So it isn't certain Kelechi would score. Also, was it not here that people attacked Owen when he said Kelechi should have passed when he scored from a difficult position, why the double standard now?

I is not certain Nacho will score but the best option is to utilize the player with the most time and space. Nacho was in a good position and squaring the ball was the right call.

Finito.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:25am On Jun 24, 2018
somehow:

3:5:2 can easily turn to 5:3:2 or 5:4:1 when defending if the right players start

be it 3-5-2 or when it morphs to a 5-3-2 the baseline there is that it creates space for players like Messi. do you remember that match against Chelsea? He had space to operate over and again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:26am On Jun 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

Iheanacho does, Samuel Chukwueze does, the Nwakali brothers do, chidera Eze does, Chigozie obasi does, Sunday Mba my village boy does, Kelechi emetole did grin. But no Argentine player knows I exist grin

Wow. Then you're a chairman then

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:27am On Jun 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

Your depression will continue for a long time. I always take your criticism of Moses with a basin of salt.
me too, I think the attacks have to do with something outside football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 11:29am On Jun 24, 2018
safarigirl:
how can you combine Iwobi and Simy? In a key game like this, you cannot field players whose capabilities are largely unknown

You can field Iwobi with Musa or Iheanacho, but allow Simy keep Ighalo company on the bench. You cannot be taking such a dangerous risk for a game this important

As far as I am concerned, the line up against Iceland can do damage to Argentina. There is no studying that the Argentine team want to study that will nullify that team. They don't have the personnel to nullify that team.
you're only saying this based on their abysmal midfield and defense. But you shouldn't overlook their attack and the damage they're capable of inflicting on our error prone and inexperienced defense line. Do not underrate Argentina sister

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:29am On Jun 24, 2018
Oasis007:

grin

I have nothing hidden in my Sleeves though, just wanna be peaceful with Everyone cos we are Brothers already!

There is something I certainly know; we all want the same for the Eagles - Success! Even those casting Aspersions upon the Team are doing it out of love for the Eagles.

You need to see how Peeps on the European Section followed and celebrated the Victory. Many of them just don't wanna have full Confidence in the Team like us here and eventually get disappointed.

One Love is all I want.

A sentiment i have re-echoed time and again.

#respect bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:30am On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Watch from 00:28 you could see Anderson had a Chance to score but instead opted for the man in space. As I said before the team's glory beats an individual glory. Which is what I am pointing out. You are more interested in Musa's glory than the team's glory.

either you didn't play much football or you didn't play much as a forward. Musa had to outpace his marker, in that situation your eyes has to be firmly fixed on the ground so you don't forget the call whilst running or trip on it, and before he started that run Nacho wasn't anywhere close so passing to him was a no no, when he outran the player he was now face to face with the GK and Nacho had a marker who had to leave him to go and cover the other post, in that split second Musa looked up and saw an opponent close to Nacho, that alone would block your mind from passing to him and that was how he carried on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 11:31am On Jun 24, 2018
The way Nacho begged and begged for the ball was so funny...Lesson... Don't let anybody take glory for your work. Even Nacho wouldn't have passed after all that run. And Musa needed to prove he is better than most people who has been played ahead of him...Point taken,Musa, but you better keep it up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:31am On Jun 24, 2018
darkelf:

So, ifiam the beer parlor analyst, you're now the tactician?

Why then are you on nairaland quoting me?

Funny man. Kwantinu

sad
have you ever seen me discuss tactics here? me I'm here to read updates and laugh at the way some people say orisirisi here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:31am On Jun 24, 2018
Mickael2:

be it 3-5-2 or when it morphs to a 5-3-2 the baseline there is that it creates space for players like Messi. do you remember that match against Chelsea? He had space to operate over and again.

grin

As many Peeps have suggested, 3 - 5 - 2 Formation can easily morph to 5 - 4 - 1 Formation which I believe, tactically, gonna be handy for counter-attack.

However, I wouldn't mind us man-marking Messi with either Etebo or Ndidi. We can't allow the short Devil to breathe for a second at all in the Match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:32am On Jun 24, 2018
Something is sure in that game. We will have plenty of defending to do.

Our 3-5-2 would look more like 5-4-1 as the Wing Backs would have plenty of defending to do at the Side Back positions and one of the 2 forwards (Iheanacho will have to occasionally join the midfield). Musa's pace would be greatly needed when counter-attacking opportunities come.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:33am On Jun 24, 2018
darkelf:

Wow. Then you're a chairman then

grin

But thats not the reason I am supporting the team. Rather they have my support because I am a Nigerian
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:33am On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

by the way Anderson is a midfielder. you can't purchase a striker's instinct, show me where Ronaldo or Messi has ever done something like that before
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:33am On Jun 24, 2018
Something is sure in that game. We will have plenty of defending to do.

Our 3-5-2 would look more like 5-4-1 as the Wing Backs would have plenty of defending to do at the Side Back positions and one of the 2 forwards (Iheanacho) will have to occasionally join the midfield. Musa's pace would be greatly needed when counter-attacking opportunities come.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:34am On Jun 24, 2018
jihday:
have you ever seen me discuss tactics here? me I'm here to read updates and laugh at the way some people say orisirisi here.

Okay, no wahala.

We all want what's best for the Super Eagles bro

It is well smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 11:34am On Jun 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

Iheanacho does, Samuel Chukwueze does, the Nwakali brothers do, chidera Eze does, Chigozie obasi does, Kenneth Omeruo does, Sunday Mba my village boy does, Kel echo emetole did grin. But no Argentine player knows I exist grin

Christian Chukwu and many ex internationals who were my marternal grandpa's teammates in Enugu Rangers do

No come blow lie for hear ooo.
By the way, where is Kelechi Emeteole? A very good coach with Iwuanyanwu Nationale.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:34am On Jun 24, 2018
Mickael2:

either you didn't play much football or you didn't play much as a forward. Musa had to outpace his marker, in that situation your eyes has to be firmly fixed on the ground so you don't forget the call whilst running or trip on it, and before he started that run Nacho wasn't anywhere close so passing to him was a no no, when he outran the player he was now face to face with the GK and Nacho had a marker who had to leave him to go and cover the other post, in that split second Musa looked up and saw an opponent close to Nacho, that alone would block your mind from passing to him and that was how he carried on.

Stop beating around the bush. Anderson had the pace and talent to skin the Goalkeeper but he chose to square the ball to Tevez who was in better position to score. Are you saying Anderson has not played football or you played more ball than him? Even the commentator in the clip said it clearly, SO UNSELFISH.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:36am On Jun 24, 2018
grin

@theGoodJoe....... maybe Rakitic shouldn't have buried the 3rd Goal against Argies too, he should have passed the Ball to the No. 9 Guy ba?!

Can you at least stop being stubborn pls? It's apparent no one buys your Idea, yet you keep preaching it.

Pls..... let's forget the Ish and talk better thing Jhoor!

(1) (2) (3) ... (4271) (4272) (4273) (4274) (4275) (4276) (4277) ... (16369) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), Lyster360(m), a4turitoroman, Joebie, Mujtahida and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.