Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,151 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11645107 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4286) (4287) (4288) (4289) (4290) (4291) (4292) ... (16144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:46am On Jun 25, 2018
Ex-Spain Coach Clemente: Now Mikel Wants Sportsmanship From Croatia; Nigeria Rested Players In ’98
10 hours ago
By James Agberebi:

Former Spain national team coach Javier Clemente has laughed off calls by Super Eagles skipper Mikel Obi asking Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic to play his regulars against Iceland on their final Group D game of the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup on Tuesday.

Following Croatia’s qualification into the round of 16 with a game to spare, there are reports that Dalic could rest some of his key players like Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, Ivan Perisic and Mario Mandzukic.

And reacting to the report, Obi called on Dalic to show sportsmanship and field his best players against Iceland, believing the outcome of the game could have an effect in the game between Nigeria and Argentina which will also be played on Tuesday.

Iceland could qualify ahead of Nigeria and Argentina if the debutants beat Croatia by a wide margin and the Super Eagles and Argentina draw.

But Clemente who was Spain head coach at the 1998 World Cup in France when they crashed in the group stage, was having none of Mikel’s call for sportsmanship.

At the 1998 World Cup, Spain who lost 3-2 to the Super Eagles in their opening group game, needed the Eagles to avoid defeat against Paraguay while Clemente’s team had to beat Bulgaria to progress into the round of 16.

Having already qualified for the round of 16 following wins against Spain and Bulgaria, Super Eagles key players like Austin Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Okechukwu Uche, Celestine Babayaro and Mutiu Adepoju were all rested against Paraguay.

Paraguay went on to beat the Eagles 3-1 and progressed while despite thrashing Bulgaria 6-1, Clemente’s Spain crashed out.

Recalling the events that unfolded at the 1998 World Cup, Clemente tweeted on Sunday: “Obi Mikel of Nigeria asks Croatia for sportsmanship and wants them to plays with the regulars.

“Nigeria in ’98 played with their substitutes against Paraguay and lost, Spain crashed out. That day it seemed sportsmanship was not important.”

— CompleteSportsNigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by poseidonsaiz(m): 2:47am On Jun 25, 2018
Tuesday's game...

Why do I feel like the game would be marred by a biased ref, riddled by a couple of pk shouts, and capped off by a truly great goal?

hmmn..

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:52am On Jun 25, 2018
Haha
Nairaland goes on!

elyte89:

Oga joebie,Tuesday will come and go

Nothing will happen, if we qualify,fine,if not

We create another thread QATAR2022 grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by poseidonsaiz(m): 2:53am On Jun 25, 2018
Joebie:
Ex-Spain Coach Clemente: Now Mikel Wants Sportsmanship From Croatia; Nigeria Rested Players In ’98
10 hours ago
By James Agberebi:

Former Spain national team coach Javier Clemente has laughed off calls by Super Eagles skipper Mikel Obi asking Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic to play his regulars against Iceland on their final Group D game of the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup on Tuesday.

Following Croatia’s qualification into the round of 16 with a game to spare, there are reports that Dalic could rest some of his key players like Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, Ivan Perisic and Mario Mandzukic.

And reacting to the report, Obi called on Dalic to show sportsmanship and field his best players against Iceland, believing the outcome of the game could have an effect in the game between Nigeria and Argentina which will also be played on Tuesday.

Iceland could qualify ahead of Nigeria and Argentina if the debutants beat Croatia by a wide margin and the Super Eagles and Argentina draw.

But Clemente who was Spain head coach at the 1998 World Cup in France when they crashed in the group stage, was having none of Mikel’s call for sportsmanship.

At the 1998 World Cup, Spain who lost 3-2 to the Super Eagles in their opening group game, needed the Eagles to avoid defeat against Paraguay while Clemente’s team had to beat Bulgaria to progress into the round of 16.

Having already qualified for the round of 16 following wins against Spain and Bulgaria, Super Eagles key players like Austin Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Okechukwu Uche, Celestine Babayaro and Mutiu Adepoju were all rested against Paraguay.

Paraguay went on to beat the Eagles 3-1 and progressed while despite thrashing Bulgaria 6-1, Clemente’s Spain crashed out.

Recalling the events that unfolded at the 1998 World Cup, Clemente tweeted on Sunday: “Obi Mikel of Nigeria asks Croatia for sportsmanship and wants them to plays with the regulars.

“Nigeria in ’98 played with their substitutes against Paraguay and lost, Spain crashed out. That day it seemed sportsmanship was not important.”

— CompleteSportsNigeria

well, someone should tell the Clementina of a nwoke to move on.. and even though there is obviously some truth in his comments, we may not have to permutate if the boys play their hearts out like they should.. 100% belief a draw would suffice.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princfred(m): 3:02am On Jun 25, 2018
diadem10:

Did Ogu even play? Lol.

Ighalo was more of a threat than Nacho. Even the iceland players were wary of him. I can't imagine the lot of iceland players he took out with his presence.
Anyway, I aint advocating for Ighalo per se but just speaking the truth as usual. I admit his decision making wasn't the best but he was a threat. I'm no sentimental fool as you can see.

You talked badly about Mikel as if Nigeria had better options.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princfred(m): 3:09am On Jun 25, 2018
diadem10:

He played more backward passes. I stated in my other post that Mikel took up great position but he was retrogressive with his passes especially in the 1st half.

On your second point, leave Musa to do his thing. No be today I know Musa in that SS role. He needs no one to do his thing in that role. Even when Ighalo came on, Musa was still a threat and could have scored the third goal if Ighalo was quick with his decision.

And you're wrong, Ighalo's positioning is good. Can't say the same for his decision making.
How can someone with poor decision making be a threat? Are you thinking well at all?
What exactly does he offer very well and when last did he give a great game?

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 4:34am On Jun 25, 2018
Joebie:
10 hours ago
By James Agberebi:

— CompleteSportsNigeria
everything wants Nigeria to crash out. I wish we forget about the other result and scrape out a win.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:51am On Jun 25, 2018
JSMMUYIWA:

When Ighalo came on,was when Iceland was surrendering already.
I yet prefer Ighalo to come on,in the second half against Argentina rather than start.
to come do what....
we need goals in this match.... at least to escape France...in the round of 16...

the goal should be strictly counter attack and players who release balls fast should be deployed and not one selfish dude on goal.drought.
we have played him in the last 7 matches with no goals....so why keep playing him?
let's try others....like simmy and see what he has to offer.... matches of these kind are not alien to him..having played against some of these argentina stars in Italy.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:53am On Jun 25, 2018
Icon4s:

See, let me tell you, I know that Argentina are favorite to win that game.But I try not to dwell on that. I look at the positives.

This is not my first WC so I am not even scared of a group exit. I just want to have a positive mindset.

The way you are sounding it is as if you actually wish Argentina should win so you can come here and say "I told you". You are free to condition your mind for a defeat. But some of us here have conditioned our mind that we will make it to the next round.
But if we do not make it, so? Then you can come around with your "I told you, I told you" and receive your medal for it.

God bless you oga icon4. ..
I do much believe we gonna shock the world come Tuesday...I don't care what pessimist may say.
all I pray for is for rohr to keep up with the bravery and good team tactics. .... surely the super eagles will soar once again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:54am On Jun 25, 2018
Argentina will be looking for a big win against Nigeria to be safe, considering an Iceland victory over Croatia

Nigeria only needs at least a 1-1 draw versus ARG hoping Iceland don’t do better than a 2-0 win over Croatia.

Iceland needs at least a 2-0 win hoping Nigeria don’t get any result better than a goalless draw against Argentina.

A goalless draw against Argentina will suffice for Nigeria, provided Iceland fail to record a score better than 1-nil against Croatia.

Nigeria’s qualification will NOT be affected by the outcome of the other tie as long as we beat Argentina

Please add more scenarios to this or modify

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JSMMUYIWA(m): 6:22am On Jun 25, 2018
Humility017:

to come do what....
we need goals in this match.... at least to escape France...in the round of 16...

the goal should be strictly counter attack and players who release balls fast should be deployed and not one selfish dude on goal.drought.
we have played him in the last 7 matches with no goals....so why keep playing him?
let's try others....like simmy and see what he has to offer.... matches of these kind are not alien to him..having played against some of these argentina stars in Italy.
Quite True.
But I would prefer Musa and Iheanacho up front.
The communication with midfield and the flanks is needed.I think Simy drops deep to communicate with the midfield too.He charges defense when without the ball too.He is tall too.If not Kelechi,I will prefer Simy to that tired Ighalo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:28am On Jun 25, 2018
Yea all we need is a win, and it wouldn’t matter even if Mauritius were permitted to represent Croatia.

LieDetector:
everything wants Nigeria to crash out. I wish we forget about the other result and scrape out a win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:02am On Jun 25, 2018
JSMMUYIWA:

Quite True.
But I would prefer Musa and Iheanacho up front.
The communication with midfield and the flanks is needed.I think Simy drops deep to communicate with the midfield too.He charges defense when without the ball too.He is tall too.If not Kelechi,I will prefer Simy to that tired Ighalo.

exactly...I still thinks our wingers will still resort to high balls crosses into the Argentina team yard box...
sunny will prove handful in such situations.

musa and nancho combo should be maintained with the introduction of simy and iwobi in the second half to keep up with the tempo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 25, 2018
Joebie:
10 hours ago
By James Agberebi:

— CompleteSportsNigeria
karma is a bi'ch I vuess cry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:43am On Jun 25, 2018
krattoss:
why the hate naa??
U been complain of job, I understand the country can frustrate one to wishing her bad. we can help u with one.. Just be nice here u will see wonders..

We re one big family here.. No underate us oo..
If u were following us from the qualifiers, u would notice a moniker that gave tastimony of how icon or so sent his son a package without strings attached..

Just be nice OK?? I go find something for u wink
not icon but tbaba1234.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 7:43am On Jun 25, 2018
If we lose against Argentina, all blame points to Rohr for not deploying the correct tactics against Croatia. I believe we could have won or at worst drawn with them had it been he deployed the tactics that has worked. We wouldn't be here doing permutation and combination. Rohr should be sacked if we exit this group stage.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Horus(m): 7:43am On Jun 25, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ7mYp0RuQc

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr believes the team is ready to face Argentina
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:43am On Jun 25, 2018
komekn:

That's absolutely correct, he is young, expectedly nervous and inexperienced.

He takes the safest option for a goalkeeper not confident in the players in front of him. This will be a continous theme with Uzoho.

That means you must to create an aerial option for him. Against Iceland that happened too many times. Against a better Argentina we can concede possession so cheaply.

Ighalo is our best option with regards to aerial ability hold-up play and a threatening physical presence. This means Musa can feed off Ighalo. I am certain Ighalo will bully the Argentine defence.

This is something that Iwobi or KC simply can not do.

Oga what we need is pace against Argentina and not bully. Argentina don't like speedy players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:50am On Jun 25, 2018
Joebie:
Argentina will be looking for a big win against Nigeria to be safe, considering an Iceland victory over Croatia

Nigeria only needs at least a 1-1 draw versus ARG hoping Iceland don’t do better than a 2-0 win over Croatia.

Iceland needs at least a 2-0 win hoping Nigeria don’t get any result better than a goalless draw against Argentina.

A goalless draw against Argentina will suffice for Nigeria, provided Iceland fail to record a score better than 1-nil against Croatia.

Nigeria’s qualification will NOT be affected by the outcome of the other tie as long as we beat Argentina

Please add more scenarios to this or modify

No matter the scoreline between Nigeria and Argentina. As long as it ends in a draw, we are through but only if Iceland win without scoring more than 2 goals difference.

A 2:0 iceland win pushes us through because we would both be on same goals and points but since we have a better H2H to them? We scale through.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:53am On Jun 25, 2018
fabyom:
I am not saying Ighalo is exceptional. However, Iheanacho that you clamouring for has also done next to nothing this year in the National Jersey. All the games he has played for us he had just one shot on target, that tame shot against DRC. Against Iceland he had no shot on target, no assist, one shot ridiculously off target, no area ball won, he did practically nothing better than Ighalo in that match. However, when Ighalo came in, he had One shot on target, won two area balls yet you are clamouring for someone who was begging for a tap in to start ahead of Ighalo. #Sentiment
An Iwobi-Musa pairing upfront is the best against Argentina. Forget Nacho.. that guy is struggling just like ighhalo.

Iwobi playing behind Musa will surely torment the Argentine defense.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelayomide(m): 8:09am On Jun 25, 2018
we need only luck from God as our players can deliver because I see d North Americans using their sorcery once more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:12am On Jun 25, 2018
joelayomide:
we need only luck from God as our players can deliver because I see d North Americans using their sorcery once more.
south Americans

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:17am On Jun 25, 2018
Icon4s:

See, let me tell you, I know that Argentina are favorite to win that game.But I try not to dwell on that. I look at the positives.

This is not my first WC so I am not even scared of a group exit. I just want to have a positive mindset.

The way you are sounding it is as if you actually wish Argentina should win so you can come here and say "I told you". You are free to condition your mind for a defeat. But some of us here have conditioned our mind that we will make it to the next round.
But if we do not make it, so? Then you can come around with your "I told you, I told you" and receive your medal for it.
Chief,"I TOLD YOU" is now the main thing here.

Tomorrow we are going into the round of 16 in a majestically way.

Argentina stopping us?No way.

Hope Rohr get it right tactically.

Super eagles no tension

We are winning in the name of God

We are winning We are winning

Soar Soar o

SUPER EAGLES.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 8:25am On Jun 25, 2018
Yes ooo, I think we should try that. However, I think it will not be wise to change a winning team.
MetalJigsaw:
An Iwobi-Musa pairing upfront is the best against Argentina. Forget Nacho.. that guy is struggling just like ighhalo.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:28am On Jun 25, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

I'm seeing Musa-Iheanacho paring tomorrow and i wish Iwobi start but with Rohr i doubt it.

Iheanacho not really convincing against Iceland and funny enough if Ighalo started against Iceland in place of Iheanacho and put the same performance he would still be criticised.

Ighalo bashing here is simple to decode.Remeber Musa was a federal character player before Iceland.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 8:31am On Jun 25, 2018
Everyone is advocating for a change of formation against Argentina, I wouldn't recommend that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 8:33am On Jun 25, 2018
LieDetector:
If we lose against Argentina, all blame points to Rohr for not deploying the correct tactics against Croatia. I believe we could have won or at worst drawn with them had it been he deployed the tactics that has worked. We wouldn't be here doing permutation and combination. Rohr should be sacked if we exit this group stage.

No way, we can't dwell on the past, we have to face the status quo. What would you say about Joachim Low, then?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:34am On Jun 25, 2018
I want us to win Argentina as the final nail in their coffin

It is imperative now more than ever that we destroy that team and their self esteem so much that their FA will disband the team after this World Cup.

Argentina does not deserve a place in the Round of 16. They have not worked for it or earned it. Just a bunch of overhyped, overpaid, spoilt brats who think everything should be handed to them because they are Argentina

Nigeria will be doing the whole world a favour if we successfully beat that team. It never mattered all this time when they were winning us, but this is the most important game of their lives since these guys began to play together and this is the game to hurt them.

This is the defeat that will stay in their memories forever. And we have been handed the glorious opportunity to inflict this fatal wound. We must not make nonsense of it. There will be no better time

For the last three or so World Cups, at least one great team has crashed out in the group stage of the World Cup. Argentina must be that team this time.

These boys should destroy Argentina, for all of their predecessors who had to taste defeat over the years

And the best thing is, there will be no Enyeama to be following Messi to smile after conceding angry

19 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 8:43am On Jun 25, 2018
safarigirl:
I want us to win Argentina as the final nail in their coffin

It is imperative now more than ever that we destroy that team and their self esteem so much that their FA will disband the team after this World Cup.

Argentina does not deserve a place in the Round of 16. They have not worked for it or earned it. Just a bunch of overhyped, overpaid, spoilt brats who think everything

should be handed to them because they are Argentina

Nigeria will be doing the whole world a favour if we successfully beat that team. It never mattered all this time when they were winning us, but this is the most important game of their lives since these guys began to play together and this is the game to hurt them.

This is the defeat that will stay in their memories forever. And we have been handed the glorious opportunity to inflict this fatal wound. We must not make nonsense of it. There will be no better time

For the last three or so World Cups, at least one great team has crashed out in the group stage of the World Cup. Argentina must be that team this time.

These boys should destroy Argentina, for all of their predecessors who had to taste defeat over the years

And the best thing is, there will be no Enyeama to be following Messi to smile after conceding angry

My exact thoughts....been following dia fan forum on mundoalbiceleste.com.....a lot of dia fans are still extremely arrogant and dismissive of our team even if dey admit all is not well in dia camp.....dat team is average witout messi and is currently in shambles psychologically as a lot is working against dem right now....we must show dem no respect and work to stifle messi....sombody shud tell our boys to redeem d image of nigeria and beat dis shitty argentine team silly to avenge for all our painful losses to d argies....our team is a youthful side dat aint built around anyone....dats our joker unlike d messi led argentines...we av dis guys on a platter...we wont av a beta chance!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 8:44am On Jun 25, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

No way, we can't dwell on the past, we have to face the status quo. What would you say about Joachim Low, then?
I mean it would have saved us the stress of being under unnecessary pressure. This super eagles team has never been under this kind of pressure. Can't say same about the Argentines. They did well the last time they found themselves in a similar situation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 8:51am On Jun 25, 2018
LieDetector:
I mean it would have saved us the stress of being under unnecessary pressure. This super eagles team has never been under this kind of pressure. Can't say same about the Argentines. They did well the last time they found themselves in a similar situation.

The success of the kit brought them into the spotlight, so the pressure. But firing the coach is the worst thing to do, you don't just divorce when your marriage hit roadblocks, you give a second chance.

You keep hearing this man say the world cup came too soon for his young boys, it's because he is trying to build something.

If you keep firing the architect whenever the bricklayers ruin the building, you will never grow the house.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:22am On Jun 25, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (4286) (4287) (4288) (4289) (4290) (4291) (4292) ... (16144) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Bbdot(m), Marjoribanks, dijon and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.