Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,072 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4378) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11653728 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4375) (4376) (4377) (4378) (4379) (4380) (4381) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:46pm On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

is he really qualified?

Yes na. He played more than 75% of national team football over 2 year and he was selected for the world cup.

Though he didn't go but he has a case because there is evidence he couldn't go to the world Cup due to injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:51pm On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

Without a challenge how can you improve

Long term career plan is better than short time money that can derail your long term progression.

He has the right to reject the offer from Wolfsburg if he wants. But I guess he looked at the £££€€€€ and decided to go for the easy option where he will not be challenged.

How much good football can you play in a team always fighting to the last day to survive from relegation.

Most Nigerian players I know don't do well in the Bundusliga. Maybe bundesliga has changed but I would prefer he goes to EPL where he will have to challenge for a shirt.

Everything in life is about chance. Once he gets his chance then he should prove himself.

If he does well whenever he plays and Liverpool still keeps him on the bench, a top EPL club will come for him, and will force Liverpool to use him.

He must be ready to shun money for his future.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:54pm On Jul 05, 2018
charlesemeka85:
nigerian young star hilary gong on the verge of joining dutch side vitesse arnhem from trencin

Good one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:03pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Just a little correction ;

Onyekuru passed PSG medical before opting to join Everton due to EPL craziness.

Honestly, I want his progress and if he join a bigger, I will be happy.

However, I saw his pictures doing medical with PSG. How I wish he went there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:48pm On Jul 05, 2018
Chrismario:

League two? League two is fourth tier English league right?

He should prove himself first and play in a better league. Rohr will then assess if he fits in. The youngman is relying on past glory of youth football

His club just got relegated to league 2 this season.

He played two four seven in his first season in the Belgium pro league after he left league 1 even until the next season before injury knocked him out for almost 2 seasons.

If na hype, how come a 21 years old kid came all the way from league one to break into the first team of a Belgian club, just like that? That was just 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 seasons ooooooo.

The boy is no hype.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:57pm On Jul 05, 2018
Guys our league is so useless that outsiders see it for what it is, "a joke"

We should be ashamed of ourselves when we hear news like this.

Richard Arthur of Wa All Stars directly(without trials) joins French giants Lyon in the ligue 1 after helping his team win the 2018 ghana premier League

I doubt anybody can make such move from NPFL. The best they can get is trials that never yield nothing

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:29pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Richard Arthur of Wa All Stars directly(without trials) joins French giants Lyon in the ligue 1 after helping his team win the 2018 ghana premier League

I doubt anybody can make such move from NPFL. The best they can get is trials that never yield nothing

Alhassan didn't need trials and neither did Stephen Eze or Afeez Aremu. We have passed that trials stuff Junior Lokosa's deal in Bulgaria ended because he refused trials.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2018
You’ve not been able to convince me that the players you have been rooting for have put in outstanding performances in the lower leagues of England. This is the crux of the matter.
komekn:

If you can not get the principal established precedence that is seen in every competitive professional football league in Europe.

Which is simply outstanding players move from obscure quality consistent players. Always move upwards out of minor league and club.

The competitive edge is to be the first to notice them before anybody else.

Diabate, Ngolo Kante, Mahrez , etc left lower league and clubs to the EPL, Why outstanding performances.

What's so HARD to get there is nothing to convince it's established proven fact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:08pm On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Alhassan didn't need trials and neither did Stephen Eze or Afeez Aremu. We have passed that trials stuff Junior Lokosa's deal in Bulgaria ended because he refused trials.

Those guys u mentioned made nothing but side ways moves. We talking about one of the best leagues in Europe and a giant of a club, and you are here talking about Bulgaria et al nawa oo.

If u had talked about Taiwo joining Marseille hundreds of ages ago, u might have an argument bro.

I doubt the best in our league can have trials in France much less signing an out right deal with the least team in the ligue 1.

Our league is a disgrace
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

No he is not.

That's last season just a few months ago he was the stand out player in league one.

I am expecting his agents to get him into the EPL this season. If they do not he should sack them.

Until then.

He should focus on how to rise to better team.

I would also like to know how many man of the match he won since you said HE WAS STANDOUT in just concluded season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:14pm On Jul 05, 2018
Wow. Now since Aneke also played in the Jupiler Pro League, how do you compare him with the likes of Olayinka, Awoniyi, Onyekuru, Bonaventure, and Kalu? is he ahead of the aforementioned?

Modified
Or rather midfielders alike like Ajagun, Esiti etc
forgiveness:

He played two four seven in his first season in the Belgium pro league after he left league 1 even until the next season before injury knocked him out for almost 2 seasons.

If na hype, how come a 21 years old kid came all the way from league one to break into the first team of a Belgian club, just like that? That was just 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 seasons ooooooo.

The boy is no hype.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 05, 2018
forgiveness:

The boy is no hype.

2014 or first half of 2016 is not just, a lot and I mean a very big lot has happened counting from then till now.

From league one to Belgian league is good but I want to remind you that it happens often so you shouldn't be marveled.

We are talking about a youngman that is not less than 25. Like I said earlier, It will be nice to have him in SE but not yet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 05, 2018
komekn:

You mean like Turkish, Isreali, Norwegian, Dutch league.❓

The principal point is this, whatever league you are playing in be the stand out top class and if possible best player in that league.

Ryan Ssegnon is the best left back in the Championship he is 18 years old. Last summer Liverpool put in a bid for £30 million Fulham refused. Manchester United and City all fighting for his signature. Do you think they are waiting for him to play in the EPL first. Before establishing his quality

I personally know many players in league one offered contracts in Turkish league but refused. Nobody will leave Championship for Eredivisie even league 1 will be a struggle. Unless it's Ajax or PSV.

England best defender in my opinion Gomez left Charlton at 18 straight into Liverpool first team.

I am sorry no insult intended but you really have no idea.

Ryan and Gomez are very young, about 18 and 20 if I'm not wrong unlike Aneke who is not less than 25.

If he is that good, what is he doing in lowly league 2 with MK Don?

Those guys that are reluctant to leave League one or championship is because of $$$. You of all people with your immeasurable knowledge should know more than everyone that English players don't do well abroad so while leaving if the odd is against you to perform abroad?

How many club is vying for Aneke?

Our national team is not dumping ground

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:19pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Those guys u mentioned made nothing but side ways moves. We talking about one of the best leagues in Europe and a giant of a club, and you are here talking about Bulgaria et al nawa oo.

If u had talked about Taiwo joining Marseille hundreds of ages ago, I might have an argument bro.

Can you hear yourself? You just trashed our league but now you are talking about sideways moves. At least they have made the jump to Europe and as we can see with Alhassan they will climb up the ladder.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:32pm On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Can you hear yourself? You just trashed our league but now you are talking about sideways moves. At least they have made the jump to Europe and as we can see with Alhassan they will climb up the ladder.

Lol bro this is the hard truth, our league is crap. Consider Herve koffi joining Lille in ligue 1 directly(without trials) as a goal keeper from the Ivorian league, Arthur joining Olympique Lyon from the Ghanaian league. All these are Western African leagues, I dont even want to compare our league with the northern African leagues because it would be an insult to those Northern African leagues.

Can u compare those guys with the Odeys, Lokosas, Ezes et al of this world who end up in Bulgaria, Denmark, fc Zurich et al after some serious trials?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

We're talking Ligue un. I think Taye Taiwo was the last player we had go straight to a top 5 league without trials.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:35pm On Jul 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

It's the truth. The big 5 leagues hardly sign our players straight up without trials. Infact, how many times have we had them even invite our players for trials?? I think Oboabana was the last. Sunday MBA went to Ligue 2
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 05, 2018
charlesemeka85:
good point bro. it hurts me when some folks here berate the english lower leagues. the quality of football displayed in the english championship is far better than what you get in the eredivisie, belgian,norwagian,danish,turkish,austrian and other obscure leagues. the championship in particular is fierce judging by how competitive it is. a player like dominic iorfa jnr will be a starter or in the first team of any german middle table club. if the nff and rohr can search the lower leagues in england a lot of quality players of nigerian parentage will be unearthed.talentts such as gomes,alli,ojo,ibe,segssenon,our own victor moses etc all emerged from the lower leagues

We are talking about league 2 not championship.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:41pm On Jul 05, 2018
edi287:

It's the truth. The big 5 leagues hardly sign our players straight up without trials. Infact, how many times have we had them even invite our players for trials?? I think Oboabana was the last. Sunday MBA went to Ligue 2

Nobody invited Oboabona. That news of his Invitation by Arsenal was as bogus as the change APC promised us.

Even the least rated leagues in Europe hardly sign our NPFL players without subjecting them to serious trials
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:45pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Nobody invited Oboabona. That news of his Invitation by Arsenal was as bogus as the change APC promised us.
Lmao dude sounded pissed. Said he didn't need to go on trials after winning the AFCON. I thought the links were genuine.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:48pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Lol bro this is the hard truth, our league is crap. Consider Herve koffi joining Lille in ligue 1 directly(without trials) as a goal keeper from the Ivorian league, Arthur joining Olympique Lyon from the Ghanaian league. All these are Western African leagues, I dont even want to compare our league with the northern African leagues because it would be an insult to those Northern African leagues.

Can u compare those guys with the Odeys, Lokosas, Ezes et al of this world who end up in Bulgaria, Denmark, fc Zurich et al after some serious trials?

This is the list of past Ghana premiership top scorers and where they landed (2005-2015).
If you look closely, you will discover most of them ended up in Sudan, Egypt, UAE, Tunisia... The best move I can find from this list was the guy who transfered to Norway.
The story of Ghanaian football is not so different from Nigerians and I dare say the NFL is doing way better than any other league in west Africa.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/amp.pulse.com.gh/sports/ghana-premier-league-last-10-top-goal-scorers-and-where-they-are-id4779653.html

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:49pm On Jul 05, 2018
edi287:

We're talking Ligue un. I think Taye Taiwo was the last player we had go straight to a top 5 league without trials.
Ejike Uzoenyi went to Rennes from Rangers straight.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:50pm On Jul 05, 2018
edi287:

Lmao dude sounded pissed. Said he didn't need to go on trials after winning the AFCON. I thought the links were genuine.

Nigerian club Sunshine Stars say English Premier League side Arsenal have never asked them to take Godfrey Oboabona on trial.
Media speculation last week
suggested not only did the Nigeria defender turn down the offer of a trial and but he criticised manager Arsene Wenger too.
"I never said anything about a highly respected manager like Mr Wenger showing me a lack of respect," he said.
Oboabona also says he was not aware of any invitation for a trial.
"I have had so many text messages, phone calls about it - the rumour that I was invited on trial was not true - I only read about it like everyone else," he explained to the BBC.
"I've always said I will take my time, focus on my development as a player and continue to give my best in every game. "At the appropriate time, when clubs must have seen me well enough, they will hopefully approach Sunshine Stars in Nigeria.
"My desire is to grow every day, sadly all the things written about Arsenal did not come from me."
The 22-year-old played a big part in Nigeria's victorious 2013 Africa Cup of Nations campaign and was also part of their Confederations Cup squad. He was an integral part of Nigeria's qualification for the African Nations Championship, the continent's tournament for locally based players only, for the first ever time.
The Sunshine Stars' chairman Mike Idoko also insisted there has been no approach from Arsenal.
"It all began in the media and ends there," he told BBC Sport. "If there was any substance to the
story, we expect Arsenal would
approach his club first. "We haven't had any official communication with Arsenal or any Premier League club about [Godfrey] Oboabona."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23560257

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

If u had talked about Taiwo joining Marseille hundreds of ages ago, u might have an argument bro.

I doubt the best in our league can have trials in France much less signing an out right deal with the least team in the ligue 1.

Our league is a disgrace

You are here making jest of our league,the guy might be going to Lyon B,you are just quick to talk.

As far as i am concerned Nigeria league is better than ghana league in all way,even their first choice keeper at the 2014 world cup is at enyimba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2018
goldfish80:

This is the list of past Ghana premiership top scorers and where they landed (2005-2015).
If you look closely, you will discover most of them ended up in Sudan, Egypt, UAE, Tunisia... The best move I can find from this list was the guy who transfered to Norway.
The story of Ghanaian football is not so different from Nigerians and I dare say the NFL is doing way better than any other league in west Africa.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/amp.pulse.com.gh/sports/ghana-premier-league-last-10-top-goal-scorers-and-where-they-are-id4779653.html

Your list is talking about top goals scorer, it doesn’t encompass the whole players. I am saying a different thing all together.

Take for instance Dauda Mohmed to Anderletch, Baba Rahman et al
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2018
goldfish80:

Ejike Uzoenyi went to Rennes from Rangers straight.

A move Rennes regret till tomorrow bro. His failure is one if the reasons those top teams have turned their backs on us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Did ahmed musa use trial to join vvv venlo? Did alhassan ibrahim joined austra wien by trial before moving to portugal?

Brown didnt went on trial before signed by Neuchâtel Xamax

How many players has been transfered from ghana academy to better european club?

Ndidi from nath boys,kelechi forgotten the academy,what about kelechi nwakali? isaac success and co

I can give you many more

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Burkina Faso keeper that even Ojo Olorunleke for my Akwa United better pass, abeg make we hear word jor. None of the Nigerian players you mentioned had to do trials to get signed. This is where I have a problem, if you are going to say something at least be honest. It is not always the players. Clubs dont want to deal with Nigerian clubs because of their behavior in the past.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Elderson Uwa Echiéjilé from Bendel Insurance to Rennes,i guess you never know about that

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2018
charlesemeka85:
oga wolfsburg escaping relegation for the past few seasons means they still have pedigree. they may be a middle table team fornow but that doesnt rub off the fact that they are one of the most respected teams in german football. they fortune may change this season if the management gets the right set of players

Respect without results will result in disgrace.

Look at Sunderland they have dropped from EPL all the way too league 1 all in two seasons.

Memories are short in football but it's RESULTS that count.

With Wolfsburg the position is simple NO MONEY NO PLAYERS. They are going nowhere fast if you doubt look at thier pre season games in the following weeks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:09pm On Jul 05, 2018
edi287:

Even Brazilian players go to places like Ukraine and Russia to kick start their careers so why is it a big deal if our players jump into top 5 leagues?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:09pm On Jul 05, 2018
andrew444:

You are here making jest of our league,the guy might be going to Lyon B,you are just quick to talk.

As far as i am concerned Nigeria league is better than ghana league in all way,even their first choice keeper at the 2014 world cup is at enyimba

Imagine what u comforting urself with, Dauda didn't go to the world cup from the Nigerian league, he only joined the Nigerian league after exhausting the useful part of his career in other leagues.

Dude is even a PSL reject. He came to Nigeria because no Ghanaian club was keen on him. He is a former ghana international, so u dont have a case bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (4375) (4376) (4377) (4378) (4379) (4380) (4381) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.