Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4604) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11635700 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4601) (4602) (4603) (4604) (4605) (4606) (4607) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:34am On Aug 28, 2018
Lol at least it looks good on paper (SE lineup)

TheSuperNerd:

....with Iheanacho and Iwobi waiting to make that complete attacking equation "Breathtaking" and "Earthquaking" wink

Add the options of Simon and Musa... And all I can say is... "SWEET HEAVENS"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:37am On Aug 28, 2018
U don start. Lol

TheSuperNerd:

Petit à petit, l'oiseau fait son nid (Little by little, the bird makes its nest)

Our team is gradually taking shape.... Piece by piece, our team is maturing across all departments with the right pieces filling up the puzzle.

Soon and very soon, our attack line will make the rest of Africa look like this when they come up against us...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:38am On Aug 28, 2018
Haha u put it better

Icon4s:

See your face like Ojuju Calabar. I know say na kind thing wey dey sweet your Bella be that.

So do we say the New dawn is here now or u still want to postpone it? Loz!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:45am On Aug 28, 2018
Hope for Komekn boys that are keepers lol

TheSuperNerd:
Ikeme Joins Eagles’ Crew After Seychelles Match

Retired international goalkeeper, Carl Onuoha Ikeme has been confirmed as a member of the Super Eagles’ coaching crew, but he will not start work with the team until after next month’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles.

This much was confirmed at the weekend by Eagles technical adviser, Genot Rohr, who said Ikeme will soon resume work as one of the team’s goalkeepers’ trainers.

However, Rohr said Ikeme will not be with the Eagles for their September 7 match against Seychelles, because the 10-hour flight from his base in England to the venue in Victoria would be too much for the leukaemia survivor.

Rohr, though, stated categorically that the former Wolverhampton Wanderers of England shot-stopper will join the Eagles’ crew for subsequent matches, as the Franco-German tactician

Aside training the Eagles’ keepers, Rohr further said Ikeme, who recently announced his retirement from the round leather game, will also help to monitor and discover young Nigerian goal minders.

Rohr added that he wants the 32-year-old Wolves’ former number one goalie to help the Eagles find young goalies that will be of future help to Nigeria win global titles.

Ikeme spent his entire career at Wolverhampton, making 207 appearances across all competitions before hanging his gloves, after recovering from acute leukaemia, which made him to be in hospital for almost a year.

He was supposed to be the Eagles number one goalkeeper at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, but he could not make the trip due to the blood cancer sickness.

Now that Ikeme has overcome the health battle, Rohr is positioning him for a role in the national team, following an earlier declaration by Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that the England-born star will not be discarded in retirement.

Rohr expatiated: “Our plan is to have him around for the game against Seychelles but that is not going to be possible because of the long hours of travelling down from England to Seychelles but we hope to have him with us in subsequent games.

“You know he is still recovering from his sickness and it will not be ideal for him to go through long hours of travelling now.

“I have already discussed with the NFF about having him with us as part of the backroom staff and it is something that they have really considered.

“It is important to have a good plan for him after football. We are monitoring some young goalkeepers who will be useful for the team in future.

“There is one who is only 15 years old that Carl Ikeme our former goalkeeper has recommended to us and is monitoring him as well.

“We trust his judgement because he knows the quality we want and hopefully, we will get to see these young goalkeepers take over from the present ones in future.”

Source: FootballliveNG

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 12:47am On Aug 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
There is nothing romantic at all. I am only using those midfield models to explain to you the possibilities for ours based on the talents available and rising.

And nope... Croatia did not destroy Nigeria's Midfield We all saw that game and saw how we limited the croatians through the middle. We reduced their effectiveness through the middle. Our midfield was definitely not overrun.

What you should notice about Iwobi is that he has started showing good improvememts in aspects of his defensive game. He is not as lazy as he was. He is stepping things up in that defensive aspect. He is still young too and will only get better.

K.Nwakali too shows good gameplay defensively. He is a player already used to featuring as a deeplying playmaker and as a CM. And his development so far shows that he is getting good at marking and can position to cover passing channels of opponents. He is a lot more mobile too.

And again you make it look like we play Five midfielders in a 3-5-2... Or you don't know we also play 3 midfielders in a 3-5-2? In a 4-3-3 we play 3 MFs... Same number in a 3-5-2... Only difference is that the wingbacks can help crowd that middle and provide passing options for our 3MFs.

Believe me with the rise of our Wingers... 3-5-2 won't be our best bet going forward. It would only serve as one of our top tactical weapons. I see us returning to 4-2-3-1 and trying to maybe incorporate 4-3-3 along the line as the team keeps evolving.

We are entering an era where we will no longer rely on just quantity but actual quality. Give it time.. wink

Unto the first bolded Modric and Rakitic bossed us in midfield I get you are overly optimistic but don't let it cloud your grasp of reality

On the second bolded, in a 3-5-2 formation we were basically playing with 5 midfielders who double as fullbacks when the need arises

Watch the Czech friendly as a 4-3-3 we weren't able to string passes together to connect to the forward line because (honestly) we didn't have the quality to do so, in the second half we switched to a 3-5-2 that gave the midfielders two options

1)More colleagues to boss the game and control its tempo
2)A wider option to connect to the forwards since we couldn't get through with through- passes and over the top balls

I repeat :unless we get midfielders in the mold of Philip Billing our options are not imposing enough to boss a three man midfield against a decent team

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:08am On Aug 28, 2018
It is not my optimism but obvious fact that we all watched. We were not overrun in Midfield by Croatia. Unless you refer to an entirely different game. How many open play chances did the Croatians Midfield muster? How many times did they get a sight of our goal? We cut off most or many of their attacks limiting them to just a penalty goal and an own goal both from obvious mistakes. They obviously had better possession but our Midfield held their own. You call that total midfield dominance/destruction? Funny.

And in a 3-5-2 we play with 3 midfielders because the wingbacks are not even close to being natural midfielders. They are firstly defenders and then Wingbacks. Their presence obviously offers more passing options to the sides or diagonally for our actual Midfielders when in possession. That way, we choke up space and keep the ball or win it back when lost. But again remember that the Wingbacks are not static. They must watch their behinds else they be caught out.

And yet again, I have to correct you on our tactical formation for a game. We didn't play 4-3-3 against Czech republic... We played 3-5-2.

We have never or hardly ever played a purely tactical 4-3-3 under Rohr.

And so by imposing you refer to Size sef... Lol.. I asked you this question at first because I knew you had Billing or someone of his size in mind. I wanted to understand what your definition of "imposing" is.

So by imposing you refer to only Size abi. Billing is tall and physical but is not as mobile as Ndidi or Etebo. He has decent enough pace and is good technically but he alone cannot make our Midfield three click. A 4-3-3 does not Excel because of Tall, mighty Midfielders with imposing size.. no.. those are good factors to have on a team but the true key is to have Midfielders "imposing" enough in the execution and interpretation of their roles.

Look at Xavi and Iniesta... Look at Modric... Small guys but IMPOSING in their plays because they interpreted their roles superbly.

Now I would love to have Philip Billing as I was the first to mention him on this thread but the truth is Size alone does not make the 4-3-3 click. Billing is gifted with size and decent enough ball playing attributes but he is NOT the Holy grail to the success of a potential 4-3-3 in the Super Eagles.

Earthquake1:

Unto the first bolded Modric and Rakitic bossed us in midfield I get you are overly optimistic but don't let it cloud your grasp of reality

On the second bolded, in a 3-5-2 formation we were basically playing with 5 midfielders who double as fullbacks when the need arises

Watch the Czech friendly as a 4-3-3 we weren't able to string passes together to connect to the forward line because (honestly) we didn't have the quality to do so, in the second half we switched to a 3-5-2 that gave the midfielders two options

1)More colleagues to boss the game and control its tempo
2)A wider option to connect to the forwards since we couldn't get through with through- passes and over the top balls

I repeat :unless we get midfielders in the mold of Philip Billing our options are not imposing enough to boss a three man midfield against a decent team

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 1:11am On Aug 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

It is not my optimism but obvious fact that we all watched. We were not overrun in Midfield by Croatia. Unless you refer to an entirely different game. How many open play chances did the Croatians Midfield muster? How many times did they get a sight of our goal? We cut off most or many of their attacks limiting them to just a penalty goal and an Owngoalnigeria both from obvious mistakes. You call that midfield dominance? Funny.

And in a 3-5-2 we play with 3 midfielders because the wingbacks are not even close to being natural midfielders. They are firstly defenders and then Wingbacks. Their presence obviously offers more passing options to the sides or diagonally for our actual Midfielders when in possession. That way, we choke up space and keep the ball or win it back when lost.

And again, I have to correct you on our tactical formation for a game. We didn't play 4-3-3 against Czech republic... We played 3-5-2.

We have never or hardly ever played a pure 4-3-3 under Rohr.

And so by imposing you refer to Size sef... Lol.. I asked you this question at first because I knew you had Billing in mind. I wanted to understand what your definition of "imposing" is.

So by imposing you refer to only Size abi. Billing is tall and physical but is not as mobile as Ndidi or Etebo. He has decent enough pace and is good technically but he alone cannot make our Midfield three click. A 4-3-3 does not Excel because of Tall, mighty Midfielders with imposing size.. no.. those are good factors to have on a tram but the true key is to have Midfielders "imposing" enough in the execution and interpretation of their roles.

Look at Xavi and Iniesta... Look at Modric... Small guys but IMPOSING in their plays because they interpreted their roles superbly.

Now I would love to have Philip Billing as I was the first to mention him on this thread but the truth is Size alone does not make the 4-3-3 click. Billing is gifted with size and decent ball playing attributes but he is NOT the Holy grail to the success of a potential 4-3-3.

By 'imposing' I do no mean size, I mean players who can hold their own against an opposite number and not being outplayed or outmatched(I know imposing does not do justice to what I have in mind)

Modric, Xavi Iniesta are imposing midfielders not necessarily in size but in their output

Nigeria's midfield 3 does not inspire any confidence they look lost against any opponent, not until we revert to a 3-5-2 with a midfield overload do we get the ball back and start to dominate possesion

A 3-5-2 formation is basically made of five midfielders even the name implies it, 3 defenders, 5 midfielders, 2 attackers. The wingbacks predominantly stay in midfield as opposed to 5-3-2

Finito

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:12am On Aug 28, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

What narrative? You are the one who brought up Giroud and the fact is that 5 goals in 26 games was enough to continue getting invited by France but over here in 49th ranked Nigeria we are doing shakara.

You are saying Ighalo won't reach 80 caps but Giroud wouldn't have come close to that number if some of you were French grin

Ighalo is 29 not 25 or 22.. And we are talking a Nigerian 29 year old. How many more years does he have in the national team?

An iheanacho can be given time because he can still improve. I do not see Ighalo improving at 29.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:41am On Aug 28, 2018
Okay... You don't mean Size yet you say "out match"... Okay.. let us put size aside since you have now said you don't refer to Size. Philip Billing have featured in Midfield for Huddersfield and you claim he is the ultimate solution to our excelling in a 4-3-3 abi.... (Note that I actually follow and like Billing. I brought him to the attention of this thread many pages back).

Now let us look at Billing. So you are saying he cannot be outmatched or outplayed right? Please what's been happening to Huddersfield's midfield in the EPL? Billing has been blown away twice in two EPL games and against Minnows, Cardiff, he didn't exactly do much to awe. But, yes he remains a decent enough talent. He is young after all. So your use of Billing as solution to us NOT getting outplayed in a 4-3-3 is not cogent enough at all. smiley

NIGERIA's midfield three of Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo dominated and helped beat an Iceland team that Messi and co could not beat.

Coming down to Africa, A midfield three of Mikel, Onazi and Ndidi/Etebo ran riot over their African opponents who are all power houses on the continent (Cameroon, Algeria, Zambia). And guess what? A midfield three of Mikel-Etebo-Ndidi is better than the one that dominated in African qualifying which was Mikel-Onazi-(+any other).

Now I am NOT saying our midfield is perfect because it is not but it is certainly decent and can only get better with time especially with the injection of quality fresh talents to address some of our challenges.

And a 3-5-2 by basic definition could mean 5 Midfielders but we both know it is not five Midfielders coz even when such a system is on the back foot, the 3-5-2 reverts to 5-3-2 or can be 5-4-1 in certain set-ups.
The Wingbacks are never classified as Midfielders but "defenders" who can also attack or overlap.
The only positive of a 3-5-2 in possession play is that it offers us more bodies in the middle with the Wingbacks acting as "side Midfielders" if need be. Pep Guardiola's 3-5-2 explains such where he uses Mendy and Walker as Wingbacks but also as extra passing options in the middle for the main Midfield three. They can act it but it changes not what their primary roles are.... "Wingbacks" wink

Earthquake1:

By 'imposing' I do no mean size, I mean players who can hold their own against an opposite number and not being outplayed or outmatched(I know imposing does not do justice to what I have in mind)

Modric, Xavi Iniesta are imposing midfielders not necessarily in size but in their output

Nigeria's midfield 3 does not inspire any confidence they look lost against any opponent, not until we revert to a 3-5-2 with a midfield overload do we get the ball back and start to dominate possesion

A 3-5-2 formation is basically made of five midfielders even the name implies it, 3 defenders, 5 midfielders, 2 attackers

Finito

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 2:25am On Aug 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Okay... You don't mean Size yet you say "out match"... Okay.. let us put size aside since you have now said you don't refer to Size. Philip Billing have featured in Midfield for Huddersfield and you claim he is the ultimate solution to our excelling in a 4-3-3 abi.... (Note that I actually follow and like Billing. I brought him to the attention of this thread many pages back).

Now let us look at Billing. So you are saying he cannot be outmatched or outplayed right? Please what's been happening to Huddersfield's midfield in the EPL? Billing has been blown away twice in two EPL games and against Minnows, Cardiff, he didn't exactly do much to awe. But, yes he remains a decent enough talent. He is young after all. So your use of Billing as solution to us NOT getting outplayed in a 4-3-3 is not cogent enough at all. smiley

NIGERIA's midfield three of Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo dominated and helped beat an Iceland team that Messi and co could not beat.

Coming down to Africa, A midfield three of Mikel, Onazi and Ndidi/Etebo ran riot over their African opponents who are all power houses on the continent (Cameroon, Algeria, Zambia). And guess what? A midfield three of Mikel-Etebo-Ndidi is better than the one that dominated in African qualifying which was Mikel-Onazi-(+any other).

Now I am NOT saying our midfield is perfect because it is not but it is certainly decent and can only get better with time especially with the injection of quality fresh talents to address some of our challenges.

And a 3-5-2 by basic definition could mean 5 Midfielders but we both know it is not five Midfielders coz even when such a system is on the back foot, the 3-5-2 reverts to 5-3-2 or can be 5-4-1 in certain set-ups.
The Wingbacks are never classified as Midfielders but "defenders" who can also attack or overlap.
The only positive of a 3-5-2 in possession play is that it offers us more bodies in the middle with the Wingbacks acting as "side Midfielders" if need be. Pep Guardiola's 3-5-2 explains such where he uses Mendy and Walker as Wingbacks but also as extra passing options in the middle for the main Midfield three. They can act it but it changes not what their primary roles are.... "Wingbacks" wink

I appreciate your optimism, I see no need to prolong this argument

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:21am On Aug 28, 2018
Good morning folks i like what rohr is doing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 28, 2018
maidaboi:
Good morning folks
i like what rohr is doing
seconded cool

If u think otherwise, tongue tongue tongue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:37am On Aug 28, 2018
Nacho

Henry Iwobi Kalu

Ndidi Etebo

Jamilu Balogun ekong Aina

The thought of this set up is a recipe for orgasmic feeling. There gona be so much mobility, flairbility and Lethality in goodjoe voice

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:48am On Aug 28, 2018
kellycute:
Nacho

Henry Iwobi Kalu

Ndidi Etebo

The thought of this set up is a recipe for orgasmic feeling. There gona be so much mobility, flairbility and Lethality in goodjoe voice
why Jamilu? Have you seen him play or is this for lack of other options?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:05am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
i know rohr gona start with idowu and ighalo may be we see his line up against saudi arabia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 8:10am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
i saw his YouTube video lol, but the guy gat talent to be honest. He gat pace and technicality based on what I saw from that video.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 8:53am On Aug 28, 2018
kellycute:
Nacho

Henry Iwobi Kalu

Ndidi Etebo

As Nacho is not good in the air, the wingers would be doing a lot of crossing in vain

A setup with wingers favours Simmy more

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:09am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:

Thank you my sister. This takes us back to that article of Colin Udoh that emphasized on how most Nigerian fans behave like children who quickly throw away an old toy when they see a new one.

Some people will not cease to amaze. Jamilu, a player he just watched on YouTube will now displace Idowu from the starting line up.

Thank God you understand why I always insist on players being tested and trusted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:25am On Aug 28, 2018
ChrisKels:

SiMoses was there when Kalu was given that same mantle in Gent.

Forgiveness where art thou?

Enough of this I better pass mentality.

In Gent, we know Simon was rated highly than Samuel Kalu. Even those who follow Gent knows Simon takes all the set pieces.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:42am On Aug 28, 2018
ChrisKels:

A good coach with vision would have figured out where Musa fits in earlier than Rohr did. Drop either of the ineffective two strikers for Musa, then bring in Onyekuru to fill the space created by Musa's departure from the Wings. What was the reason for taking two dead woods in Joel and Onazi to the world cup when u already have Etebo and Mikel? Who was chosen as a repp to injured Simon? A good coach would have repped injured Simon with a Kalu instead of packing those deadwoods in the name of midfielders.

Finito

Oga, going to a major tournament with only 1 CF is a no-no especially as 4-5-1 was the base formation for the team in the camping period leading to the WC. What if the only CF gets injured in camp or on match day or even gets suspended? Going with two natural CFs, in Ighalo and Simmy was the ideal.

Onyekuru was not up against Onazi and Joel that you called dead woods. I have listed the wingers that Onyekuru was up against. There was no way Rohr would have dropped Simon, Iwobi, Moses or Musa for Onyekuru. Iwobi brings more than wings play as he also plays centrally behind a CF. He can also play from the Centre of the midfield. Musa also brings more than Wings play as he sometimes plays as an SS and also played as CF in one of our friendlies. And Moses you know was our major attacking weapon going into the World Cup. Simon was dropped due to injury but you and I know about his immense contributions to the team in the build up to the World Cup (WCQ).

Rohr was fast enough to cap Onyekuru and secured him for the feature also to give him a sense of belonging. With Moses retiring and Simon still out due to injury this is the time to start integrating Kalu and Onyekuru and any other young winger that Rohr and his crew so chooses. That is why I asked you if u if u really understand what transition means. You don't throw in too many new players at a time especially for a major tournament as the World Cup.

Look also at the case of Aina vs Echiejile. You and I know when weighed on the scale of performance individually Echiejile may not have been better than Aina. But the issue is you need a right mix of youth and experience in the team. There are certain games and situations that may arise during a tourney that you will now have to fall back on the experience of some of your key players.

Most of us here are not professional coaches. Most of those "Super analysts" you see talking on TV, when most are given coaching positions they fail. Sometimes we need to reason along with these coaches to really understand why they take certain decisions. You do not cherish their jobs more than they do. You do not need the results more than they do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:50am On Aug 28, 2018
Earthquake1:
Maybe Rohr doesn't want to beg players of Nigerian origin to represent their country of birth

If you want to represent us, do so we don't have to beg you

invitation of Semi and Jamiu is camouflage to invite Kelechi Nwakali because those two will be dropped and Kelechi will remain.

The National team is full of corruption, Nepotism, tribalism etc.

No wonder Vicmo ran for his dear life.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:56am On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

invitation of Semi and Jamiu is camouflage to invite Kelechi Nwakali because those two will be dropped and Kelechi will remain.

grin grin grin

Oshe conspiracy theorist. So, Jamilu and Semi are now camouflage abi? Rohr did not reason other people to use as camouflage, it is two relatively unknown players.

Lol, where did Vic Mo run to? Chelsea's bench or his couch at home? I'm sure Sarri is also a corrupt coach for not playing Moses regularly grin grin

You and Komekn should start a comedy club and become the main acts. Una go sell die

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:57am On Aug 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Oga, going to a major tournament with only 1 CF is a no-no especially as 4-5-1 was the base formation for the team in the camping period leading to the WC. What if the only CF gets injured in camp or on match day or even gets suspended? Going with two natural CFs, in Ighalo and Simmy was the ideal.

Onyekuru was not up against Onazi and Joel that you called dead woods. I have listed the wingers that Onyekuru was up against. There was no way Rohr would have dropped Simon, Iwobi, Moses or Musa for Onyekuru. Iwobi brings more than wings play as he also plays centrally behind a CF. He can also play from the Centre of the midfield. Musa also brings more than Wings play as he sometimes plays as an SS and also played as CF in one of our friendlies. And Moses you know was our major attacking weapon going into the World Cup. Simon was dropped due to injury but you and I know about his immense contributions to the team in the build up to the World Cup (WCQ).

Rohr was fast enough to cap Onyekuru and secured him for the feature also to give him a sense of belonging. With Moses retiring and Simon still out due to injury this is the time to start integrating Kalu and Onyekuru and any other young winger that Rohr and his crew so chooses. That is why I asked you if u if u really understand what transition means. You don't throw in too many new players at a time especially for a major tournament as the World Cup.

Look also at the case of Aina vs Echiejile. You and I know when weighed on the scale of performance individually Echiejile may not have been better than Aina. But the issue is you need a right mix of youth and experience in the team. There are certain games and situations that may arise during a tourney that you will now have to fall back on the experience of some of your key players.

Most of us here are not professional coaches. Most of those "Super analysts" you see talking on TV, when most are given coaching positions they fail. Sometimes we need to reason along with these coaches to really understand why they take certain decisions. You do not cherish their jobs more than they do. You do not need the results more than they do.
Sunday Oliseh is sitting comfortably on this table cheesy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 9:58am On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Been long since these two were mentioned here.

Let me confirm who is back...…….

I guessed right! grin

We kinda miss you bro. grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:04am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
Sunday Oliseh is sitting comfortably on this table cheesy

I tell you. grin

Even that J-J Okocha I just dey look am with those things he was saying during the WC. Coaching easy like that make him go take up coaching job.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:12am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
grin grin grin

Oshe conspiracy theorist. So, Jamilu and Semi are now camouflage abi? Rohr did not reason other people to use as camouflage, it is two relatively unknown players.

Lol, where did Vic Mo run to? Chelsea's bench or his couch at home? I'm sure Sarri is also a corrupt coach for not playing Moses regularly grin grin

You and Komekn should start a comedy club and become the main acts. Una go sell die

Chei na wa o. Laugh wan kii me here. Loz...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 10:15am On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

I don't understand what you are talking about, Nwakali impressed against Atletico Madrid and a lot of people were calling for his inclusion into the National team

So because he joined Porto B team does that mean the quality we saw against Atletico has vanished or diminished?

Let him have his chance with the national team if he doesn't perform well then you would have something to talk about

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:31am On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

In Gent, we know Simon was rated highly than Samuel Kalu. Even those who follow Gent knows Simon takes all the set pieces.

For ur pocket. Take it or leave it, Kalu became better than Moses after just a season with Gent. Those who followed Gent knew who was better hence, one was wanted more than the other, and his deal sealed without any hiccups.

Last season, Kalu was the reason Gent's campaign saw the light of day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
grin grin grin

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:

Nice question from you,but let me help him answer

I have not seen the jamilu play also,I am not saying he should start,but our Brian idowu is yet to play one minute in locomotive Moscow last 3 games,maybe that's the reason he wanted jamilu to start over there,but the coach knows best and I think he will start Brian idowu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:40am On Aug 28, 2018
Earthquake1:

I don't understand what you are talking about, Nwakali impressed against Atletico Madrid and a lot of people were calling for his inclusion into the National team

So because he joined Porto B team does that mean the quality we saw against Atletico has vanished or diminished?

Let him have his chance with the national team if he doesn't perform well then you would have something to talk about

Why em no impress for Portuguese second division? How many MOTM em don win for there?

He doesn't deserve to be called. This is agent and my brother at work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:43am On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Agreed with you

I know wan just quote the guy,I am a fan of Samuel kalu also and he deserved to be called up and he is a player with great potentials

There was a time on this thread where I said moses Simon is the hazard of gent

He is their penalty taker also

(1) (2) (3) ... (4601) (4602) (4603) (4604) (4605) (4606) (4607) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.