Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,247 members, 7,836,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4605) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11784486 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4602) (4603) (4604) (4605) (4606) (4607) (4608) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:47am On Aug 28, 2018
Knowing Rohr for who(a conservative coach) he truly is, I doubt any of those new guys would c a minute of action even in the friendly against Saudi. Same yeye thing he did against Algeria that nearly cost us the world cup. He is still gonna stick with his usual quarks. Expect Musa on the wing where he is so useless, deadwood Onazi in the midfield and misses Ighalo as the top striker. That man is so predictable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:49am On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
grin grin grin

Oshe conspiracy theorist. So, Jamilu and Semi are now camouflage abi? Rohr did not reason other people to use as camouflage, it is two relatively unknown players.

Lol, where did Vic Mo run to? Chelsea's bench or his couch at home? I'm sure Sarri is also a corrupt coach for not playing Moses regularly grin grin

You and Komekn should start a comedy club and become the main acts. Una go sell die

I no fit count the number of times the conspiracy theory dey confirm itself.

I will call you out when e happen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:54am On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

I no fit count the number of times the conspiracy theory dey confirm itself.

I will call you out when e happen.
na only for your head e dey confirm

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:54am On Aug 28, 2018
Petrobros:

Been long since these two were mentioned here.

Let me confirm who is back...…….

I guessed right! grin

We kinda miss you bro. grin

Na fact be that. Habi I lie? Imagine! Jamiu Collins on the list ahead of Beyreuther or Bennett.

Thank you for missing me. I appreciate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:00am On Aug 28, 2018
If Aigbogun had a good scouting network, he would do good to bring this Real Madrid Castila sensation "Akinlabi Olawale Marvin Park" to help strengthen his midfield, since the guy hasn't repped Spain at any level.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:57am On Aug 28, 2018
Per a document stumbled upon by Owngoalnigeria.com editorial team French Ligue 1 side Dijon have established contact with FC Porto over their Nigerian defender Chidozie Awaziem ‎.

Awaziem was a revelation at the back for Nantes last season during his loan spell with the Ligue 1 side but since returning to Porto he has struggled to get playing time despite assurances from coach Sergio Conceicao.

A move to Nantes on a permanent base was mooted but it appears Dijon are now the front runners for his signature as they are presently the only team in talks with Porto over signing the 21 year old.

Porto are opened to the idea of allowing Awaziem leave the club but they are insisting on an outright sale with a percentage of future sale due to them, while Dijon are keen on buying him with no future sale clause.

All parties involved are however confident of sealing the move before the close of the summer transfer window with Awaziem who was a part of the Nigerian team at the World Cup set to team up with the national team for the 2019 African Cup of Nations Qualifiers game against Seychelles next week.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:58am On Aug 28, 2018
The race to win the signature of highly rated Nigerian midfielder Abdul Zubairu of Slovakian side AS Trencin appears to be over with Greek side AEK Athens clearly leading the race to sign the 19 year old.

Zubairu has been linked with a move away from Trencin after impressing in the Europa League Qualifiers with clubs in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany credited with an interest in him.

The Kaduna born midfielder, who is also a graduate of the famous GBS Academy owned by Ahmed Ibrahim popularly known as coach Bros will in the coming days arrive Greece for medicals ahead of a potential move to AEK Athens.

Owngoalnigeria.com exclusively gathered from sources close to the deal that it will certainly go thorough unless a break down occurs in talks, which for now doesn’t look likely.

Already Trencin are shopping for his replacement in Nigeria from same Academy, which has in the past supplied the club players like Musa Simon, Samuel Kalu, Kingsley Madu, Aliko Bala, Emmanuel Edmund, Hilary Gong.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
Anderson Esiti is still “disillusioned” as he has yet to get over the collapse of a 3 million Euros transfer to La Liga side Levante.

Both his club KAA Gent and Levante reportedly agreed a three million Euros transfer for Esiti only for the Spanish club to pull out after they bought another defensive midfielder.

“Esiti is disillusioned and a solution has to be found,” according to Voetbalkrant

The 24-year-old midfielder, who has won a handful of caps with the Super Eagles, joined Gent from Portuguese club Estoril in 2016.

He cost the Belgian club 1.5 million Euros.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:02pm On Aug 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Look also at the case of Aina vs Echiejile. You and I know when weighed on the scale of performance individually Echiejile may not have been better than Aina. But the issue is you need a right mix of youth and experience in the team. There are certain games and situations that may arise during a tourney that you will now have to fall back on the experience of some of your key players.
But did you know that Rohr discarded Echiejile experience against Iceland and fielded Ebuehi in the 2nd half after Idowu yellow card to avoid 10 against 11.

Chief enough of picking players on loyalty especially off form ones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:15pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
Sunday Oliseh is sitting comfortably on this table cheesy

Maybe of Nigerian decent. If it's overall best, give that sh*t to Oga Neville cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:16pm On Aug 28, 2018
ChrisKels:
Knowing Rohr for who(a conservative coach) he truly is, I doubt any of those new guys would c a minute of action even in the friendly against Saudi. Same yeye thing he did against Algeria that nearly cost us the world cup. He is still gonna stick with his usual quarks. Expect Musa on the wing where he is so useless, deadwood Onazi in the midfield and misses Ighalo as the top striker. That man is so predictable.
Chriskels wetin do you and Rohr recently.

Truly eagles deserve good and grade A players and eagles should not be a place to market players.

Jamilu Collins calling to me not a merited one when we have Duru and this Enyimba left back.For God sake it's Seychelles

Well Nwakili invitation can still be debated cos Rohr saw him live against Atletico but on a good day eagles should not be a place for team B player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
grin grin grin

Oshe conspiracy theorist. So, Jamilu and Semi are now camouflage abi? Rohr did not reason other people to use as camouflage, it is two relatively unknown players.

Lol, where did Vic Mo run to? Chelsea's bench or his couch at home? I'm sure Sarri is also a corrupt coach for not playing Moses regularly grin grin

You and Komekn should start a comedy club and become the main acts. Una go sell die

Which one of our players will make Chelsea's feeder team not to talk of reserve? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2018
and you prefer local based players to a bundesliga 2 player? the same local league that the top scorer could't pass a trial in norway? you guys have to stop this hate and wait for jamilu's debut before you nail him. the leftback position have been one of the teams weakest link which have prompted rohr to search for decent players who may remedy the problem but una still dey criticize the man for doing so. aside some euro-born lads who are yet to feature for the first team of their respective clubs in europe can any of you name any nigerian leftback based in europe who deserves to be called? make una take am easy abeg!
Kog45:

Truly eagles deserve good and grade A players and eagles should not be a place to market players.

Jamilu Collins calling to me not a merited one when we have Duru and this Enyimba left back.For God sake it's Seychelles

Well Nwakili invitation can still be debated cos Rohr saw him live against Atletico but on a good day eagles should not be a place for team B player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:47pm On Aug 28, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

What narrative? You are the one who brought up Giroud and the fact is that 5 goals in 26 games was enough to continue getting invited by France but over here in 49th ranked Nigeria we are doing shakara.

You are saying Ighalo won't reach 80 caps but Giroud wouldn't have come close to that number if some of you were French grin

Agreed without reservation or question.

I watched Hamburger SV against Armenia and they Hamburger beat them 3-0.

I would indulge you to watch MK Dons in thier lowly league 2 against any of thier league opponents and tell me your view.

Tonight MK Dons will be playing Bournemouth in the FA Cup. I expect them to get slaughtered but then it's the FA Cup anything can happen.

And you will find there is methodology to my biased view.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:50pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:

I just hate yeye invites bro. With all due respect to Nwakali, he aint as good as Ebere is presently, why invite him over Ebere? That's my anger. A mere performance against a holidaying ATM is not enough to gain KC Nwakali any invite abeg. Dey are all our youngsters and I dont love anyone more than the other but this yeye preferential treatment is annoying.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:58pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:

Are you comparing NPFL to Bundesliga 2??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:59pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:
But did you know that Rohr discarded Echiejile experience against Iceland and fielded Ebuehi in the 2nd half after Idowu yellow card to avoid 10 against 11.

Chief enough of picking players on loyalty especially off form ones.

The formation Rohr was playing at that moment did not favor playing Echiejile as a LWB. He could have been a better option if he was to replace someone at the LCB position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
Carl Ikeme already suggesting players for the national team, a 15-year old at that.

Instead of Komekn to tell his boys to meet with relevant senior men of the team in England, he is here deceiving them that NFF will come and beg them. If they want to be part of the team, we have the likes of Ikeme who can put in a good word, even Balogun is now there for them if na shame dem dey shame to go meet Iwobi and Ndidi them wey be their mate.

You really have no idea how things operate in Nigeria particularly with the NFF.

It's that simple but we do not make it that simple. You are dealing with the NFF and all its inherent politics based on the best deal for self interest not the best player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2018
Earthquake1:

Unto the first bolded Modric and Rakitic bossed us in midfield I get you are overly optimistic but don't let it cloud your grasp of reality

On the second bolded, in a 3-5-2 formation we were basically playing with 5 midfielders who double as fullbacks when the need arises

Watch the Czech friendly as a 4-3-3 we weren't able to string passes together to connect to the forward line because (honestly) we didn't have the quality to do so, in the second half we switched to a 3-5-2 that gave the midfielders two options

1)More colleagues to boss the game and control its tempo
2)A wider option to connect to the forwards since we couldn't get through with through- passes and over the top balls

I repeat :unless we get midfielders in the mold of Philip Billing our options are not imposing enough to boss a three man midfield against a decent team

Is not a yardstick to measure quality by any stretch of the imagination.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:06pm On Aug 28, 2018
bros i stand with you. no matter the hype on nwakali i am yet to be convinced. he showed promise in the u17s but are we talking of past performances or his present form? i am not disputing the fact that he is not talented but he is yet to do anything that merits a call up to the snr team since he left the shores of this country. even in porto B currently he is not a starter
ChrisKels:

I just hate yeye invites bro. With all due respect to Nwakali, he aint as good as Ebere is presently, why invite him over Ebere? That's my anger. A mere performance against a holidaying ATM is not enough to gain KC Nwakali any invite abeg. Dey are all our youngsters and I dont love anyone more than the other but this yeye preferential treatment is annoying.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ighalo is 29 not 25 or 22.. And we are talking a Nigerian 29 year old. How many more years does he have in the national team?

An iheanacho can be given time because he can still improve. I do not see Ighalo improving at 29.

And how old was Vardy when he began to improve.

How old is Glen Murray leading the line for Brighton and Hove ❓ and how many years did he play non league.

I disagree, in football ita about the present continous not the past and future.

That's why we have a B player in the SE and a stand out multiple award winning player like Sone Aluko is denied access.

Ighalo is our best No. 9 for now it might change in a few months if Obagoal comes back from injury. Or a youngster comes up we never looked at.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
grin grin grin

Unfortunately if wisdom rested with majority then there would be none. It wisdom normally rests with the minority.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samtol4(m): 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

invitation of Semi and Jamiu is camouflage to invite Kelechi Nwakali because those two will be dropped and Kelechi will remain.

The National team is full of corruption, Nepotism, tribalism etc.

No wonder Vicmo ran for his dear life.
Reckless statement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2018
so many here were happy when nwakali jnr who is a bench warmer in porto B was invited but questions that of jamilu who have been ever present for paderborn in bundesliga 2 and can be an option to our problematic leftback position.i hail una!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2018
charlesemeka85:
bros i stand with you. no matter the hype on nwakali i am yet to be convinced. he showed promise in the u17s but are we talking of past performances or his present form? i am not disputing the fact that he is not talented but he is yet to do anything that merits a call up to the snr team since he left the shores of this country. even in porto B currently he is not a starter

We are Nigerians we know our DNA and we can be delusional or realistic or down right ignorant about it.

As Falz said this is " Nigeria "

We know what can happen and often does happen. I could tell you stories that I know you be 100% true but I can not prove it in a court of law.

What % of Custom and police officers take bribe and or are corrupt ❓ How many have been convicted in comparison to the % who are corrupt. Does that mean there is no corruption.

The reality some of you rely on news media stories.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:16pm On Aug 28, 2018
komekn:

You really have no idea how things operate in Nigeria particularly with the NFF.

It's that simple but we do not make it that simple. You are dealing with the NFF and all its inherent politics based on the best deal for self interest not the best player.

Oga, you are over exaggerating all these things you keep mentioning here.

A gold fish has no hiding place. Any player that shows outstanding abilities would be called to the national team irrespective of whether someone's interest is at stake or not.

I don't know why we keep lamenting about K. Nwakali's invitation. The exceptional abilities he showed against Athletico is enough for any coach to have another look at him.

See, players selection is not cast in stone. It is left for Rohr and his his crew to decide which players they intend inviting irrespective of which league they play. And of course we have to go for players we have in the best leagues but we should not also ignore players with exceptional abilities in the lower leagues. Look at also Jamilu Collins, I wasn't satisfied with the league he plays in but after seeing his YouTube performances I felt he is someone Rohr and his crew can take a closer look at.

Not all players will be invited at the same time.

Komekn, if the NFF asks you to draw a list for them be sure the criticism your list will receive will be more than that of Rohr.

I keep wondering why each time a list is released a particular set of people here will always keep crying wolf when there is none.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2018
komekn:

toh.

Since na egunje dem dey use, let your English boys ask Leon Balogun and Ekong how much they paid to be regulars on the team.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:18pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
toh.

Since na egunje dem dey use, let your English boys ask Leon Balogun and Ekong how much they paid to be regulars on the team.

Thank you jare.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Oga, you are over exaggerating all these things you keep mentioning here.

A gold fish has no hiding place. Any player that shows outstanding abilities would be called to the national team irrespective of whether someone's interest is at stake or not.

I don't know why we keep lamenting about K. Nwakali's invitation. The exceptional abilities he showed against Athletico is enough for any coach to have another look at him

See, players selection is not cast in stone. It is left for Rohr and his his crew to decide which players they intend inviting irrespective of which league they play. And of course we have to go for players we have in the best leagues but we should not also ignore players with exceptional abilities in the lower leagues. Look at also Jamilu Collins, I wasn't satisfied with the league he plays in but after seeing his YouTube performances I felt he is someone Rohr and his crew can take a closer look at.

Not all players will be invited at the same time.

Komekn, if the NFF asks you to draw a list for them be sure the criticism your list will receive will be more than that of Rohr.

I keep wondering why each time a list is released a particular set of people here will always keep crying wolf when there is none.

That's not the issue.

The issue is deserved selection in the first instance. Not subjective personal judgement based on double standards.

The question you should ask is. Imagine Chuks Aneke was in that non competitive holiday friendly. What would he have done or Sone Aluko. How many goals would thay have scored and assists would they gave created.

One game can not be the basis for selection but your whole season at club football. Nwakali failed to make the grade at the Eredivisie then dropped lower and has dropped even lower to the B team at Porto.

It's an insult to play who are doing far better in thier clubs and leagues without recognition from the NFF.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:28pm On Aug 28, 2018
charlesemeka85:

Now u understand why I question Rohr's credibility and integrity in decision making. Dude is gradually going the way of Keshi and our other local coaches who often come up with head-scratching call ups. First was Chidi Nwakali without any justification now his younger brother ahead of more established stars in their respective positions. If he is tired of the job, he should walk away.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:29pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
toh.

They are regulars now, so the matter has been overtaken by events. But you don't know what permutations played out before selection. You actually do not want to know. I for one will not be the one to go back into the murky past. Because no one on this forum is ready to open s buried can of worms.

However, given the same opportunity without prejudice. I wonder if Dominic Iorfa, Sone Aluko, would not be regulars themselves and other more deserving players, etc etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (4602) (4603) (4604) (4605) (4606) (4607) (4608) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Koboko99(m), forgiveness, solonnachi and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.