Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4608) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647986 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4605) (4606) (4607) (4608) (4609) (4610) (4611) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
the likes of rabiu ibrahim and co was once named among the top 50 prospects in world football years back but where is he today? bros youth team football is different from men's football
TheSuperNerd:
Lol.... It is funny shaa. So it is only on this thread that a select few keep crying about Kelechi Nwakali's invitation. cheesy

Hahahahaha.... Same kid majority of Nigerians were crying out for to be included in the WC Squad sef. Lol..

The list was released and the reaction of the Nigerian football populace (in majority) to K.Nwakali's invite is that of beautiful satisfaction. Na only here until dey cry like pikin oooo... Or you guys think Rohr is silly? If you all are being honest, you will realise that K.Nwakali proved himself enough to earn that call-up. Sometimes, one moment can be the difference between getting noticed or living in the shadows.

And who are those ones saying he is a bench warmer for Porto B? Is it that some of you just find Joy in spilling lies and rubbish? Of the three games Porto B have played this season in Ledman Liga Pro, the lad has started two games as RM and LM respectively. While in the third game, he came in and played 22 mins as AM in a tactical switch.

It is one thing to come here and drop your comments but please let them be facts and not "emotive bias-laden comments" dipped in the prejudice of lies and half-truths.

Saying K.Nwakali has done nothing in Europe is also a big lie because he did impress in The Dutch Second Division with MVV to be even recognised by Marca as one of the rising young midfield talents today. Goal International also pinpointed K.Nwakali as one of the players from the African continent that can go on to do great things in four years at the biggest stage for Nigeria based on his rising potentials.
I have watched K.Nwakali several times in Holland and I know the good reviews he got there. Lad got genuine midfield qualities.

Look, just give the kid a break. It is his time and in the long run, he may turn out to be a great addition and most of you here will have to eat your words. Just let him be... There is no doubt the kid is super talented but IF HE GOES AHEAD TO BLOW HIS CHANCES THEN BE REST ASSURED HE WILL BE A GONER.

Nigerians cannot be silly on this one. They all saw and we all saw with them the quality and composure of K.Nwakali on the ball and in his midfield plays against Atletico madrid. Even Thomas Partey had to take some tricks out of his dark arts football books to try put K.Nwakali in checks. We all remember that game. That Midfield battle with Partey and co was no friendly at all and K.Nwakali distinguished himself superbly. Now this is what Rohr have called up and want to build on provided the lad shows same quality and keeps getting better.
In the end, it will benefit the team immensely if K.Nwakali does prove to be a solid option for us in central and attacking Midfield. Think more about the team ladies and gentlemen and not about your favorites getting invites...

Other players will get their chances. The Anyanwu Billings, The Ezes, The Ejarias (if he commits) et al... Their time will come. This race is not the same for all players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:48pm On Aug 28, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHGvjlRi6_k

I saw this from the archives and decided to share.
1986 WCQ. Played on 20/04/1985.

Abeg who scored that second goal?

Looks like Yekini
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:49pm On Aug 28, 2018
Rabiu got his ratings based on youth football... But K.Nwakali got his 2017 ratings and fine reviews based on his output in Dutch second division. His Reference at Goal International also came recently this year (2018).

So this is not about his exploits at U-17 back in 2015. See? wink

And please stop throwing that lie that he is warming the bench at Porto B. That is low of you.

charlesemeka85:
the likes of rabiu ibrahim and co was once named among the top 50 prospects in world football years back but where is he today? bros youth team football is different from men's football

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:
Personally, i do not support Nwakali's invite to the national team. I think Ebere Eze has been far more impressive at club level.

However, the list is not a bad list. I do not expect sweeping changes yet.

Jamilu Collins is playing in the second tier of Germany, which is a major football nation. The league is better than some top tier leagues in other countries.

We do not have many left backs playing regularly at a higher level. Plus he is a natural left footer. It is a good invitation for me.

Semi Ajayi has also been in good form.

The post world cup team will gradually take shape.

let me quote my lecturer: "The concept of merit varies, people could merit things based on the criteria of the person handing out these things"

For instance, maybe Nwakali merited the invite based on his performance against Atletico Madrid. I remember when people were clamouring for Kelechi after the Atletico game. Rohr was asked about Nwakali in a press conference and he said that the coaching crew has taken note of his performance and his time would come

If Rohr has decided that the time is now, the first game post World Cup, I do not see why you all are saying Nwakali should not be called up. Nwakali and Ebere Eze are not on the same level. Nwakali has had a go at the senior team and excelled, Ebere has not gotten that chance yet. So, saying Ebere merited a call up above Nwakali is wrong.

This brings me back to the requirement that club performance will get you an invite, national team performance will earn you a place. Both players are not at the same stage, therefore Nwakali merited his spot.

Compare Ebere Eze to Semi and Jemiu who have not been capped at all

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:51pm On Aug 28, 2018
I won't allow it happen this time around. I must follow this thread page by page and ensure I am not left behind.

I must confess I missed a lot.

Good afternoon friends.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2018
grin grin grin they never disappoint especially mr ''emotive bias'' they make ufo conspiracy theorists look like learners

safarigirl:
grin grin grin

Oshe conspiracy theorist. So, Jamilu and Semi are now camouflage abi? Rohr did not reason other people to use as camouflage, it is two relatively unknown players.

Lol, where did Vic Mo run to? Chelsea's bench or his couch at home? I'm sure Sarri is also a corrupt coach for not playing Moses regularly grin grin

You and Komekn should start a comedy club and become the main acts. Una go sell die

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:55pm On Aug 28, 2018
which input? how many goals and assist did he have during his time in the dutch 2nd tier? since he had such high rating in world football why did'nt a decent club take him on loan from arsenal before he settled for porto B team? stop the hype abeg. he is already 20 not 17 anymore so he should try and distinguish himself in any decent european club side
TheSuperNerd:
Rabiu got his ratings based on youth football... But K.Nwakali got his ratings and fine reviews based on his output in Dutch second division. His Reference at Goal International also came recently this year (2018).

So this is not about his exploits at U-17 back in 2015. See? wink

And please stop throwing that lie that he is warming the bench at Porto B. That is low of you.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2018
He chose Porto B because he wanted to leave Holland. Besides Ledman Liga Pro for Porto B is a step up from MVV in Dutch second division.

And if you don't know about his stats... Go check it before you come here and start running the lad down. You cannot be right and tell me that a respectable Spanish media house like Marca is wrong. I guess they must be blind abi. Lol

charlesemeka85:
which input? how many goals and assist did he have during his time in the dutch 2nd tier? since he had such high rating in world football why did'nt a decent club take him on loan from arsenal before he settled for porto B team?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
let me quote my lecturer: "The concept of merit varies, people could merit things based on the criteria of the person handing out these things"

For instance, maybe Nwakali merited the invite based on his performance against Atletico Madrid. I remember when people were clamouring for Kelechi after the Atletico game. Rohr was asked about Nwakali in a press conference and he said that the coaching crew has taken note of his performance and his time would come

If Rohr has decided that the time is now, the first game post World Cup, I do not see why you all are saying Nwakali should not be called up. Nwakali and Ebere Eze are not on the same level. Nwakali has had a go at the senior team and excelled, Ebere has not gotten that chance yet. So, saying Ebere merited a call up above Nwakali is wrong.

This brings me back to the requirement that club performance will get you an invite, national team performance will earn you a place. Both players are not at the same stage, therefore Nwakali merited his spot.

Compare Ebere Eze to Semi and Jemiu who have not been capped at all

I do not know how we can place too much stock on a meaningless end of the season friendly that Athletico played with the hand brakes on.

Usman Muhammed who dribbled the athletico defence was horrible this weekend in Norway and Nwakali has not shone for Porto B either. These players are not playing at a high level.

I understand responding to a popular call for the golden boy but in terms of merit, Nwakali has done nothing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2018
First bolded... Take that up with Rohr.

Second bolded... Nothing? That is not true. He did just enough in that Atletico game in GWG colors. A game Partey almost Injured the lad. And At Porto B, he had been decent enough or is it goals you are waiting for? Have you watched their three games to actually see K.Nwakali for yourself? Have you assessed his personal output based on watching him and not just getting final results of his team games? I guess not.

tbaba1234:

I do not know how we can place too much stock on a meaningless end of the season friendly that Athletico played with the hand brakes on.

Usman Muhammed who dribbled the athletico defence was horrible this weekend in Norway and Nwakali has not shone for Porto B either. These players are not playing at a high level.

I understand responding to a popular call for the golden boy but in terms of merit, Nwakali has done nothing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
can you please share nwakali's stat since he moved to europe here for all to see? running him down? bros i hold nothing against the lad but will not be a party to to the unmerited hype he gets here often. no doubt he is a good prospect but still needs time to prove himself to prove himself for me to be convinced.
TheSuperNerd:
He chose Porto B because he wanted to leave Holland. Besides Ledman Liga Pro for Porto B is a step up from MVV in Dutch second division.

And if you don't know about his stats... Go check it before you come here and start running the lad down. You cannot be right and tell me that a respectable Spanish media house like Marca is wrong. I guess they must be blind abi. Lol

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:06pm On Aug 28, 2018
terzurum5:
I won't allow it happen this time around. I must follow this thread page by page and ensure I am not left behind.

I must confess I missed a lot.

Good afternoon friends.

Welcome back bros

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:

that's why you're not the coach. It's not your job to know what weight to place on what.

Let the coach decide who he wants to play and his perspective is not as terrible as many here are making it seem. If Rohr thinks the boy has something he can use, let him call him up and see him up close.

Nwakali's call up is not a travesty. I mean, Chidiebere's own was bad and I complained because he had nothing on which we could justify his call up, but Kelechi has something and even if you want to reduce it's importance, Rohr and many other Nigerians acknowledge it and that is really all that matters
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:12pm On Aug 28, 2018
charlesemeka85:
can you please share nwakali's stat since he moved to europe here for all to see? running him down? bros i hold nothing against the lad but will not be a party to to the unmerited hype he gets here often. no doubt he is a good prospect but still needs time to prove himself to prove himself for me to be convinced.
which unmerited hype is he getting?

All of you have been dragging the boy for days and just because two or three people are saying it is not as bad as the rest of you are making it look, you are talking about a nonexistent unmerited hype.

Stop using terms just because they are popular here. Nobody is hyping Nwakali here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:13pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
that's why you're not the coach. It's not your job to know what weight to place on what.

Let the coach decide who he wants to play and his perspective is not as terrible as many here are making it seem. If Rohr thinks the boy has something he can use, let him call him up and see him up close.

Nwakali's call up is not a travesty. I mean, Chidiebere's own was bad and I complained because he had nothing on which we could justify his call up, but Kelechi has something and even if you want to reduce it's importance, Rohr and many other Nigerians acknowledge it and that is really all that matters

Rohr might want to have a closer look at the boy just like his brother but from what he has done in the last few years, i do not think he is ready for that level.

Now, i do not doubt his talent but is he ready for the step up? I do not think so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:16pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:

Rohr might want to have a closer look at the boy just like his brother but from what he has done in the last few years, i do not think he is ready for that level.

Now, i do not doubt his talent but is he ready for the step up? I do not think so.

wait until you see him. Even if he plays at some point, una go talk say the opposition was weak.

Please, what did Chidiebere play that deserved a closer look? I don tell una make una no dey compare the two. They did not have the same standard of merit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
First bolded... Take that up with Rohr.

Second bolded... Nothing? That is not true. He did just enough in that Atletico game in GWG colors. A game Partey almost Injured the lad. And At Porto B, he had been decent enough or is it goals you are waiting for? Have you watched their three games to actually see K.Nwakali for yourself? Have you assessed his personal output based on watching him and not just getting final results of his team games? I guess not.

I have seen Porto B games and i saw the games at Venlo and at Maastricht.

Great talent but he has not shown, he is ready for the top level.

I have seen flashes of brilliance with little real impact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2018
andrew444:

Yes 28 is the same as 29 when Leicester won the league he is just less than 6 months far from being 29

I will give you more players who start improving at 29,I am just mentioning Jamie vardy because you have heard of him.

Sandro Wagner of Bayern Munich start improving at 29 ,you might not know him maybe you only watch super eagles games then maybe Epl

Iago aspas of celta vigo starts improving at 29

Anthony modeste start improving at 29,he only left cologne for big pay day at China

Luca Toni,starts improving at 29 during his stint at fiorentina before he earned a move to Bayern

Luis Fabiano start improving at 29 during his Sevilla time.

I know you don't know any of this mentioned players,but Tbaba is there to help you out

Oga it's not fully true. wagner, Aspas and maybe modeste.

In the case of vardy, the guy has been performing since he turned a pro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
wait until you see him. Even if he plays at some point, una go talk say the position was weak.

Please, what did Chidiebere play that deserved a closer look? I don tell una make una no dey compare the two. They did not have the same standard of merit

I think Chidi scored a cracking goal that might have informed his invite.

Either ways, i do not think either of them is ready.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:22pm On Aug 28, 2018
Chrismario:

Oga it's not fully true. wagner, Aspas and maybe modeste.

In the case of vardy, the guy has been performing since he turned a pro.

For fleetwood town abi? a non league club or so.

Vardy didnt even score 20 in the championship as ighalo did but he went on to tear the EPL apart and has been consistent
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:23pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:

I think Chidi scored a cracking goal that might have informed his invite.

Either ways, i do not think either of them is ready.
if Kelechi does not perform, then they call up another person
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2018
andrew444:

Vardy didnt even score 20 in the championship as ighalo did but he went on to tear the EPL apart and has been consistent
it goes to show, some people start hot and then grow cold and others start cold and grow hot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Egbon but how you take reason the matter?
I don't tire self cos options available apart from Ighalo and Iheanacho are not convincing enough so make we dey manage what we have until someone spring up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:26pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
it goes to show, some people start hot and then grow cold and others start cold and grow hot

Agree with you on this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:28pm On Aug 28, 2018
I have gone over this K.Nwakali ish a couple of times before when he was being labelled trash and I can tell you that in 67 senior games since his move to Europe he has 6 goals and 8 assists mainly as AM and CM. And he has lots of second assists (the pass before an assist is laid) and this is a stat never documented but only taken note of by those who actually watch games. So many parameters in a Midfielder's games are not picked up by stats Lords but we can ascertain their quality by watching for ourselves for a good period of time. Just last season, he had 4 goals and 1 assist in 16 games in Dutch Jupiler (2nd tier) and got MOTM more than once.
Just last year in 2017, Respectable Spanish media site, Marca named him among the top 50 young talents. Lad got huge potentials and his rise may be slow but it is on course. If he shoots himself in the foot by not stepping up to the plate when it truly matters then he will be a goner... Another "nearly man".

@first bolded... Nothing against the lad yet you could run with a fallacy that he was warming the bench at Porto B without even taking the time to verify your claims. SMH...

@second bolded... Okay... Keep waiting for him to prove himself to you aiit... Fact is he has proven himself enough to the people that truly matter here to get an invite.... Rohr and his crew. Chikena.

charlesemeka85:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2018
charlesemeka85:
bros there is no way a right thinking coach will turn blind eyes on a player doing well in an european club side. our local clubs poor performances in africa is a good testament that our local league players are not good enough and shouldnot be apart of the new super eagles just because of mere sentiment.
My point is simple

Super eagles should not be a place to boost player career and playing in Bundesliga two not a good benchmark for eagles just like inviting Porto B team player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2018
So from all you have seen, you affirm he is indeed a great talent. Good. Rohr saw that too against Atletico when he stood up to a Partey in Midfield and Partey took that game more than way too seriously yet K.Nwakali excelled.

And at the only highest level he got the opportunity to showcase himself, which was the Dutch eredivisie... he was not given ample opportunities. But this lad came off the bench on his debut game and scored an intelligent goal with his head. He worked out that chance for himself by combining with a teammate and scored. That was just a show of his class.
For the next eight games he was not trusted enough to build on that and never got the desired opportunities in terms of quality game time. So it is so early to say whether he is not ready for the top level. Against Atletico, he faced a top player in Partey who took that game like it was a competitive fixture and he soared. Let us see Nwakali in the GWG again before you pass judgment on his readiness.

tbaba1234:

I have seen Porto B games and i saw the games at Venlo and at Maastricht.

Great talent but he has not shown, he is ready for the top level.

I have seen flashes of brilliance with little real impact.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:
My point is simple

Super eagles should not be a place to boost player career and playing in Bundesliga two not a good benchmark for eagles.

And where are the better options?

It is not as if we have great talents in the big leagues playing left back.

Is Etebo not playing in the Championship? Ola Aina was also playing in the championship when he was invited. Leon Balogun was in Bundesliga 2 when he was first invited by Keshi.

What is wrong with Bundesliga 2? I have watched the games, they are not bad.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
So from all you have seen, you affirm he is indeed a great talent. Good. Rohr saw that too against Atletico when he stood up to a Partey in Midfield and Partey took that game more than way too seriously yet K.Nwakali excelled.

And at the only highest level he got the opportunity to showcase himself, which was the Dutch eredivisie... he was not given ample opportunities. But this lad came off the bench on his debut game and scored an intelligent goal with his head. He worked out that chance for himself by combining with a teammate and scored. That was just a show of his class.
For the next eight games he was not trusted enough to build on that and never got the desired opportunities in terms of quality game time. So it is so early to say whether he is not ready for the top level. Against Atletico, he faced a top player in Partey who took that game like it was a competitive fixture and he soared. Let us see Nwakali in the GWG again before you pass judgment on his readiness.

My problem is that he has not impressed consistently even at lower leagues.

Yeah, there are flashes of talent but i am not convinced he is ready for the top level.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
grin grin grin

Oshe conspiracy theorist. So, Jamilu and Semi are now camouflage abi? Rohr did not reason other people to use as camouflage, it is two relatively unknown players.

Lol, where did Vic Mo run to? Chelsea's bench or his couch at home? I'm sure Sarri is also a corrupt coach for not playing Moses regularly grin grin

You and Komekn should start a comedy club and become the main acts. Una go sell die
My hunch tells me that Komekn & Forgiveness are the same person. They both reason much alike. Its always corruption & nepotism.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2018
andrew444:

Leicester improved not Vardy as you are painting it. They bought few players that are ready to fight, Vardy has been doing his thing with some weaker players

(1) (2) (3) ... (4605) (4606) (4607) (4608) (4609) (4610) (4611) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: GMBOFASIA and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.