Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,355 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4609) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647346 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4606) (4607) (4608) (4609) (4610) (4611) (4612) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:

And where are the better options?

It is not as if we have great talents in the big leagues playing left back.

Is Etebo not playing in the Championship? Ola Aina was also playing in the championship when he was invited. Leon Balogun was in Bundesliga 2 when he was first invited by Keshi.

What is wrong with Bundesliga 2? I have watched the games, they are not bad.

A good national team is determine by quality of players.

Inviting players from division two or B team not good enough for a team that want to compete with great teams.

On options let's Rohr did his homework instead of telling us of a keeper keeping in third tier Bundesliga.

My opinion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2018
comodo:

My hunch tells me that Komekn & Forgiveness are the same person. They both reason much alike. Its always corruption & nepotism.

Your hunch should stop telling you if you can't prove it

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2018
Chrismario:

Leicester improved not Vardy as you are painting it. They bought few players that are ready to fight, Vardy has been doing his thing with some weaker players

Vardy also improved,if he did not improved then he will not be scoring 20 per season.

What few players did they bought? Kante? mahrez was already there before the season they won the league.

Wes morgan robert huth and co are there before they truimph
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2018
At MVV last season (from January obviously) he had far more good games than bad ones.

At Porto B so far, he is just starting out.. give it time before we draw conclusions on his progress club-wise.

Meanwhile, in the GWG, let us see the lad. Fact is even if he gets to play against Seychelles or Saudi Arabia and shines so bright... I won't use that to start saying he has arrived. But that will be a start to begin assessing him in our national colors and see if he is indeed ready to step into a role for the team. We have had players in times past who came with good stats or strong club performances but flopped in the national team... Peter Ijeh comes to mind. Another is Kayode Odejayi I think.

tbaba1234:

My problem is that he has not impressed consistently even at lower leagues.

Yeah, there are flashes of talent but i am not convinced he is ready for the top level.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:

Inviting players from division two or B team not good enough for a team that want to compete with great teams.

My opinion.

I do not disagree with the sentiment but when we do not have players playing in the top leagues then a good lower league is not a bad idea.

Bundesliga 2 is better than Switzerland, Norway, Sweden etc. top leagues in my opinion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:02pm On Aug 28, 2018
So many professional coaches without coaching license in this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:08pm On Aug 28, 2018
comodo:

My hunch tells me that Komekn & Forgiveness are the same person. They both reason much alike. Its always corruption & nepotism.
don't forget emotive bias cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

U do know that Vardy has world class speed right? Plus Iheanacho played a part in the first goal. How can you participate in the build up when your teammates are more concerned with ballooning the ball.

That seems to be the part that people tacitly miss out. Leicester is set up to kick and rush. A setup that best suits Vardy. While i am not exonerating Iheanacho from sloppy displays sometimes, it is good to put things into perspective.

I have seen Iheanacho try to do too much when ordinary pass would suffice. Trying to say he isnt in Vardy's league is kinda low blow if you ask me. Pressure to deliver can make goals elude you. Ask Falcao in the EPL.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 5:12pm On Aug 28, 2018
comodo:

Not really.... av seem both of them argue recently.... although that is rather a very uncommon sight. They forever in agreement.... Brothers grimm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:15pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
let me quote my lecturer: "The concept of merit varies, people could merit things based on the criteria of the person handing out these things"

For instance, maybe Nwakali merited the invite based on his performance against Atletico Madrid. I remember when people were clamouring for Kelechi after the Atletico game. Rohr was asked about Nwakali in a press conference and he said that the coaching crew has taken note of his performance and his time would come

If Rohr has decided that the time is now, the first game post World Cup, I do not see why you all are saying Nwakali should not be called up. Nwakali and Ebere Eze are not on the same level. Nwakali has had a go at the senior team and excelled, Ebere has not gotten that chance yet. So, saying Ebere merited a call up above Nwakali is wrong.

This brings me back to the requirement that club performance will get you an invite, national team performance will earn you a place. Both players are not at the same stage, therefore Nwakali merited his spot.

Compare Ebere Eze to Semi and Jemiu who have not been capped at all

You mean Nwakali wey dey still struggle for second division of Portuguese league after his less impressive performance in the second tier of Eredivise, na em no dey the same level with Eze because he played one friendly wey ATM scored at will when dem want? Bhuahaha! Chai! grin

Eze is miles miles miles .................. Na so d thing no get end. As at now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
fabyom:
Dispute my claim[i][/i] with facts only

Google is your friend man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

You mean Nwakali wey dey still struggle for second division of Portuguese league after his less impressive performance in the second tier of Eredivise, na em no dey the same level with Eze because he played one friendly wey ATM scored at will when dem want? Bhuahaha! Chai! ;DD

Eze is miles miles miles .................. Na so d thing no get end. As at now.
i know that your comprehension is incredibly poor. That is why I will not bother explaining something my 9-ywar old brother would be able to comprehend to you

If this is what your brain could decipher, no wahala.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:

On options let's Rohr did his homework instead of telling us of a keeper keeping in third tier Bundesliga.

My opinion.

Rohr is not in control or he dey collect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
i know that your comprehension is incredibly poor. That is why I will not bother explaining something my 9-ywar old brother would be able to comprehend to you

If this is what your brain could decipher, no wahala.

Ayaaaa! Your 9 years old brother is really smarter than you then ooooo.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2018
kennysville:

That seems to be the part that people tacitly miss out. Leicester is set up to kick and rush. A setup that best suits Vardy. While i am not exonerating Iheanacho from sloppy displays sometimes, it is good to put things into perspective.

I have seen Iheanacho try to do too much when ordinary pass would suffice. Trying to say he isnt in Vardy's league is kinda low blow if you ask me. Pressure to deliver can make goals elude you. Ask Falcao in the EPL.

Is Iheanacho in the same level with Vardy?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2018
Chrismario:

In other words, you stand with oga forgiveness that Jamilu and semi's invitation played a huge role in Nwakali's inclusion

Where is Lokosa lokomoto? Dem take style drop Kayode for a weak player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:42pm On Aug 28, 2018
Earthquake1:
So many professional coaches without coaching license in this thread

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:42pm On Aug 28, 2018
Rather than Ighalo or Iheanacho, it would be nice to see Simmy in the CF role for a change.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

You mean Nwakali wey dey still struggle for second division of Portuguese league after his less impressive performance in the second tier of Eredivise, na em no dey the same level with Eze because he played one friendly wey ATM scored at will when dem want? Bhuahaha! Chai! grin

Since nwakali scored against ATM ,everybody dey shout invited,some people dont even know the criteria of someone to be invited for a national team,some was even saying usman mohammed to be invited,Another joke of the century

As far as i am concerned most nigerians know nothing about football,its so embarassing that a team b player is invited to the national team,i fell so ashamed most times.

Ebere Eze is miled ahead of the nwakali at the moment

Go and check others national team if you will find team B player,and we always call our self a big footballing nation.

Sylvester igboun has been doing well since last season but nobody go reason him side including our coach,ebere eze also

Igboun is an attacking MD who also play from the flanks,anyway i am not saying he should be invited,but the coach need to put eyes on players who play regularly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:57pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:
stop speaking English here and painting English boys to be some decent human beings

If it is egunje Balogun and Ekong paid, ask them to show your boys road. If Aina, Idowu and Ebuehi used connections to get in the team, let them ask them who assisted.

Nigeria does not need the services of your English boys as much as they need Nigeria.The Super Eagles was not created to absorb England rejects.

This tale you are weaving that English players don't have a bone of corruption in them is laughable. The end justifies the means, if your boys want to represent Nigeria let them do what others are doing.

The Super Eagles is meant for Nigerians. Doesn't matter whether dem be blue or black or English or Ethiopian as long as the constitution of Nigeria regards dem to bebe Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:58pm On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

The Super Eagles is meant for Nigerians. Doesn't matter whether dem be blue or black or English or Ethiopian as long as the constitution of Nigeria regards dem to bebe Nigerians.
tell your boyfriend to stop shoving English trash in our faces.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:02pm On Aug 28, 2018
With a Kalu who can cross... I also would like to see a towering Simy up top. But if we play 4-2-3-1 against Seychelles, I expect us to have Ighalo up top. Ofcos Simy is a good fit too but I just feel Ighalo will start. Besides it is the perfect game and opportunity to redeem one's self. wink

Also, with Mikel missing it would be very interesting to see who Rohr will deploy as our AM. There is Etebo but I doubt he will be deployed there.. he is more box-to-box but not as creative. There is Iwobi who can fill in and there is also a K.Nwakali who can step into that role. On the flanks, hmmmm... Options dey. I don't know if Musa will start but I suspect one of Kalu and Onyekuru will start or maybe none if Iwobi plays from the Flanks and Musa starts too leaving someone else in the AM role. Time will tell shaa.

safarigirl:
Rather than Ighalo or Iheanacho, it would be nice to see Simmy in the CF role for a change.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:48pm On Aug 28, 2018
Kog45:
I don't tire self cos options available apart from Ighalo and Iheanacho are not convincing enough so make we dey manage what we have until someone spring up

We will definitely manage what we have.

But someone trying to defend Ighalo's barrenness in front of goal and comparing him with Giroud is a no-no.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:56pm On Aug 28, 2018
tbaba1234:

I do not disagree with the sentiment but when we do not have players playing in the top leagues then a good lower league is not a bad idea.

Bundesliga 2 is better than Switzerland, Norway, Sweden etc. top leagues in my opinion.

Exactly. Not like we are Brazil, France , Spain or Germany. Is the Portuguese or German second division not more competitive than the Chinese league where Mikel and Ighalo are?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 28, 2018
andrew444:

Vardy also improved,if he did not improved then he will not be scoring 20 per season.

What few players did they bought? Kante? mahrez was already there before the season they won the league.

Wes morgan robert huth and co are there before they truimph

Okazaki who paired Vardy upfront nko? Fuchs from Bundesliga? Don't underestimate their impact

Even huth came midway through the previous campaign. Remember, their form started few weeks after his arrival which stretch to their triumphant campaign
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Exactly. Not like we are Brazil, France , Spain or Germany. Is the Portuguese or German second division not more competitive than the Chinese league where Mikel and Ighalo are?

The last time i checked chinese league has more players in the world cup than those portugal and german division 2

You think brazil will call a player from those division 2 and leave a chinese based players?

How many portugal and germany and co division 2 players played for their respective national teams?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:22pm On Aug 28, 2018
Chrismario:

Okazaki who paired Vardy upfront nko? Fuchs from Bundesliga? Don't underestimate their impact

Even huth came midway through the previous campaign. Remember, their form started few weeks after his arrival which stretch to their triumphant campaign

Yes but common vardy did a lot of work,they won the league by team work and not individual

But vardy started improving at age 29,he first epl season he didnt score much.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Where is Lokosa lokomoto? Dem take style drop Kayode for a weak player.

Lakosa was given the chance as fans are calling for his provisional inclusion to know what he can do in camp. Not a good reason anyway.

Kayode has been doing good after racial discrimination from his coach at Girona. Dude been banging goals since he moved to Shaktar Donesk, a club that beat Almighty man city in UCL. Don't forget that he has won 4 consecutive MTM this season in 7th best league in Europe. I wonder why Rohr invited a lowly rated Serie B player in place of tested professional that disgraced Roma in Europa league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:44pm On Aug 28, 2018
Chrismario:

Lakosa was given the chance as fans are calling for his provisional inclusion to know what he can do in camp. Not a good reason anyway.

Kayode has been doing good after racial discrimination from his coach at Girona. Dude been banging goals since he moved to Shaktar Donesk, a club that beat Almighty man city in UCL. Don't forget that he has won 4 consecutive MTM this season in 7th best league in Europe. I wonder why Rohr invited a lowly rated Serie B player in place of tested professional that disgraced Roma in Europa league.

Who disgraced Roma in Europa league ?

Yes kayode did well in shaktar but sorry he didn't win 4 man of the match award.

Kayode can't be invited now because I think he his injured,shaktar has played 3 league games and he his yet to play any,he his not even on shaktar bench so I think he is injured

Where did the 4 man of the match come from this season ? Because he only won one man of the match last season in ukraine by scoring 2 goals in 6 league games

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2018
safarigirl:

Simmy earned a call up to the national team based on a bicycle kick against Juventus

Many people seem to forget
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:48pm On Aug 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Chief pls don't bring Mikel and Ighalo into the discourse.

Are you now saying Mikel and Jamilu are at par.

So cos we are not Brazil,France or Spain then our team should be a place for mediocre.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:53pm On Aug 28, 2018
andrew444:

The last time i checked chinese league has more players in the world cup than those portugal and german division 2

You think brazil will call a player from those division 2 and leave a chinese based players?

How many portugal and germany and co division 2 players played for their respective national teams?
Thank you my man.

I think we should stop playing politics here and face reality.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4606) (4607) (4608) (4609) (4610) (4611) (4612) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), Stillwater10, Kog45(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.