Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,898 members, 7,848,628 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:40 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4744) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11852552 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4741) (4742) (4743) (4744) (4745) (4746) (4747) ... (16246) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:00am On Sep 18, 2018
i believe he is good enough for us. remember he is just 23 and defenders tends to get better with age. the super eagles may be the tonic he needs to boast his career. balogun and ekong are good examples
ChrisKels:

I dont care how they do it, they just have to do it like they did Ademola's. Akpoguma especially has been somewhat a personanongrata for Germany, and sadly for hoffeinhem too. Dude is playing second fiddle to newly acquired Ghanaman Kasim Nuhu though the Nuhu guy is crocked now, Akpoguma is still finding it tough to get reasonable minutes under his belt. Getting him wont be that hard anymore but the qstn is, "is he good enough?" grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 2:18am On Sep 18, 2018
haha.. i'm just attacking the reason you gave. For me, I think we have so much wingers at our disposal now. Let's try to figure out the best four, then we can go from there, else, we'll get really confused with too much personnel.

ChrisKels:

Now u are contradicting ur earlier stance. Do u want him or not? U kinda rigmarole bro. U just dey dribble me about grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 2:20am On Sep 18, 2018
If we must go for Akpoguma, then we should go for Tammy Abraham. For me, they are in the same boat.. red carpet guys... abi na green carpet we wan spread this time?

ChrisKels:

I dont care how they do it, they just have to do it like they did Ademola's. Akpoguma especially has been somewhat a personanongrata for Germany, and sadly for hoffeinhem too. Dude is playing second fiddle to newly acquired Ghanaman Kasim Nuhu though the Nuhu guy is crocked now, Akpoguma is still finding it tough to get reasonable minutes under his belt. Getting him wont be that hard anymore but the qstn is, "is he good enough?" grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 2:31am On Sep 18, 2018
Nwankwo Scores for Crotone; Balogun Benched In Brighton Draw; Onazi, Nwakaeme Lose With Trabzonspor
By Johnny Edward

Nigerian striker, Simeon Nwankwo was the match winner for Crotone who defeated Livorno 1-0 in Monday’s Italian Serie B clash reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Nwankwo came off the substitute’s bench in the 78th minute for Ante Budimir and got the win for his side six minutes from time.

The strike was Nwankwo’s first Serie B goal of the season for Crotone in three appearances.

Crotone are now third in the Serie B table with six points from three games. They will host Verona on Saturday in their next Serie B game.

At the Saint Marys stadium in Southampton, Super Eagles defender, Leon Balogun watched from the substitute’s bench for the second time in a row as Brighton snatched a late 2-2 draw away to Southampton on Monday.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg gave Southampton the lead after 35 minutes firing in a low drive from the edge of the box before Danny Ings made it 2-0 after he slotted the ball into the bottom left corner from the

penalty after Gaetan Bong was adjudged to have clipped the heels of clipped the heels of the Liverpool loanee (Ings) in the box.

Shane Duffy halved the deficit heading in Anthony Knockaert’s curling free-kick two minutes later. The goal was his third goal this term. Glenn Murray tucked in a penalty in the 90th minute after Duffy was shoved in the box by Ward-Prowse.

Brighton pressed hard for an equaliser after Chris Hughton introduced Alireza Jahanbakhsh for Solly March in the 71st minute and Jurgen Locadia for Yves Bissouma in the 77th minute of the game but both players could not salvage a point for the Seagulls who suffered their third defeat of the season.

Balogun has made only two appearances for Brighton in the EPL since his arrival on a free. Brighton have taken four points from their first four EPL matches will host Tottenham in their next EPL game on Saturday.

In Turkey, Super Eagles pair of Anthony Nwakaeme and Ogenyi Onazi were subbed off in Trabzonspor’s 1-0 away loss to Alanyaspor in the Turkish Super Lig encounter played at the Bahcesehir Okullari Arena in Alanya.

Merih Demiral fourth minute goal sealed maximum points for Alanyaspor who secured their consecutive win of the season. For Trabzonspor, it was their second defeat of the season.

Nwakaeme has made three League appearances for Trabzonspor scoring twice while Onazi has played five games scoring once.

--CSN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:12am On Sep 18, 2018
charlesemeka85:
to those who love good rap,bars n rhymes pls try n get eminem's kamikaze album.
are u just waking up undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:13am On Sep 18, 2018
edi287:

Old news. Killshot was a good reply to MGK
now diddy and Iggy azaaella is coming for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:28am On Sep 18, 2018
krattoss:
now diddy and Iggy azaaella is coming for him.
Forget those clowns. Make Iggy just stick to twerking.
Puffy's ghostwriters these days suck.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:43am On Sep 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

We all know what made that golden generation come short. The Ivory coast is more organised now bro

What in your opinion made them come short and why do you think they are more organized now?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:51am On Sep 18, 2018
JoebieII:
haha.. i'm just attacking the reason you gave. For me, I think we have so much wingers at our disposal now. Let's try to figure out the best four, then we can go from there, else, we'll get really confused with too much personnel.

I think we rather convert some of them to strikers, since we only have average and less than average strikers out there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:53am On Sep 18, 2018
JoebieII:
If we must go for Akpoguma, then we should go for Tammy Abraham. For me, they are in the same boat.. red carpet guys... abi na green carpet we wan spread this time?

you can get Tammy.
how does the attitude towards Nigeria by both players collaborate?
one made a nauseating remark...the other talked cool.
probably you need someone to spot the difference for you in their remarks.
sometimes sentiments won't let us reason straight.

Tammy is far gone...if you were wooing both let say as a guy...who will you still go for...
the Tammy that publicly disgraced you or Kelvin who never said such.

please don't let us drag ourselves on this... none of these guys is a world class player and I doubt if they will ever be...they need the super eagles to revive their ailing career.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:56am On Sep 18, 2018
Joebie:
If you want to impress the Franco-German score a couple goals in France or Germany. You won’t only get a call up, you are likely to get some playing time.

You don't even need to score. Did Jamilu Collins score any goal before he got invited? The thing is he just rates the German leagues higher than other leagues in the World. Let us employ an English raised coach now and see whether he will not flood the Super Eagles with all those '' Borough'' boys.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:06am On Sep 18, 2018
Humility017:

you can get Tammy.
how does the attitude towards Nigeria by both players collaborate?
one made a nauseating remark...the other talked cool.
probably you need someone to spot the difference for you in their remarks.
sometimes sentiments won't let us reason straight.

Tammy is far gone...if you were wooing both let say as a guy...who will you still go for...
the Tammy that publicly disgraced you or Kelvin who never said such.

please don't let us drag ourselves on this... none of these guys is a world class player and I doubt if they will ever be...they need the super eagles to revive their ailing career.

Tammy that turned down a WC bound Nigeria with an opportunity to walk straight into the World Cup list. Is it now that we are preparing for the AFCON? Please let's forget Tammy for now.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 18, 2018
edi287:

Forget those clowns. Make Iggy just stick to twerking.
Puffy's ghostwriters these days suck.
hahahah..

Not forgetting drake and migos em he dissed on kamikaze..

Shady is in for a long run..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:27am On Sep 18, 2018
charlesemeka85:
forgiveness i doubt if you have seen igbekeme and fikayo play this season. i don't rate players based on their past exploits but current form and this is one of the problems bedeviling the apex team of this nation. igbekeme is miles better than onazi based on current form. he is creative,versatile(can play as a cm,dm,lw and am),younger and a workaholic. currently in the spanish 2nd tier is is called the new kante and have been one of the best players in this season so far. he is currently been monitored by the likes of sevilla and other top tier clubs in spain after just joining zaragoza few weeks ago.

timori have improved so much and have been a mainstay in derby's first team. having a young player whose utility will be immerse in the team will be a plus. he is naturally a centre back but can also play the rb position comfortably. lets forget about onazi and omeruo's past exploits and accept the fact that they are washed up now

Tomori may have played center back but he is very far off the mark.

My first impressions of Tomori from last season was he was just OK nothing exceptional. Aina was top class and considerably ahead of him. I haven't seen him live this season.

His current manager is a former Chelsea player and he is finally getting a lot more game time.

But the question is how many MOTM awards or team of the weak awards has he got this season. Quality is not hidden when exceptional it's generally acknowledged even by your detractors.

Unfortunately our standards for selection to the SE have become subjective, personified and without clear and open structure based on merit. On this basis he can now be a prospect.

Otherwise from the standards I expect for the SE he is not there yet.

However, a player that has been ignored playing in the lowly league 2. Extremely consistent now that he has overcome his injuries, he is the stand out player in that league, Chuks Aneke he would bring real attacking threat and presence to the SE from what l have see.

I expect him to move in the January transfer window if MK Dons will allow it. Thay have already blocked moves to the Championship for him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:31am On Sep 18, 2018
charlesemeka85:

New Derby County loan signing Fikayo Tomori has shown his potential as a defender, as no player in the Championship has averaged more interceptions per game than the youngster (Whoscored).

Tomori joined Derby on loan from Premier League title challengers Chelsea, having previously worked closely with Rams boss Frank Lampard’s number two Jody Morris in the Blues’ academy.

The Rams brought in Tomori on a season-long loan deal, and he was immediately thrust into the starting eleven alongside Richard Keogh for the home game against Leeds – a match Derby lost 4-1.

But despite the drubbing by Marcelo Bielsa’s men, many felt Tomori was a standout and since then he has grown in stature, helping the team to successive 2-0 home victories over Ipswich Town and Preston North End.

Tomori's reading of the game is decent and he has explosive pace for a central defender, allowing him to track runners easily and cut out potentially dangerous passes – evident by a Championship best 3.8 interceptions per game.

Aside from possessing pace and awareness, the 20-year-old defender is physically strong. With an ability to pass out from the back, the Chelsea loanee could convert into a potential holding midfield player – an option Derby may eexercise with when Curtis Davies returns to action following injury. With Derby struggling to field a natural holding player (George Evans is injured and Tom Huddlestone out of the picture), Tomori may become the next best option.

My opinion:

He doesn't have explosive pace, he is not physically imposing and strong and finally he is not that tall, unless my eyes decieved me he can't be more than 5' 10".

Stats tell one story but not the full story.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:40am On Sep 18, 2018
charlesemeka85:
as it stands now i believe akpoguma looks more likely. dude is 23, not really a regular at hoffenheim and for now is not even considered for a call up by the german national team who boast of better young central defenders in tah(leverkusen),sule(bayern),kehre(schalke 04),rudiger(chelsea) etc with older players like boateng and hummels still around. i even tip torunarigha to be capped by the german senior side before or if akpoguma will be considered. if he has a good manager his best bet for senior international football is with the super eagles.

uduokhai though not a regular in the german u21 but he is highly rated in the country and it will be a bit difficult to get though he is keeping his options open. torunarigha is a no go area cus dude is seen as the new jerome boateng and a mainstay in the country's u21 team

I rate Dominic Iorfa much more than him.

Look at Dominic consistency from his first game as a teenager playing first team for Wolves. Winning MOTM awards being invited to England first team to train, etc.

What happened super agent Mendes took control of Wolves and made it a EPL project. Wolves has more Portuguese players in thier team than Benfica and Porto.

Dominic could be like one of our best defenders who had similar problems, Danny Shittu. Denied opportunity from clueless coaches he was a ROCK for Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Where is Lukman Haruna today? washed up at "28 years"... I watched him recently and he can not even run anymore. He was obviously more than 17 in 2007.

Ajiboye is a keeper and keepers have longer careers.

That Road is very crooked because in reality was anybody below 17 in that team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:50am On Sep 18, 2018
Clementoke:

That generation (of players) was a scam

What about the 2009 set I remember a certain Fortune Chukwude his defence was, "am I the only one, why me❓ "

Let sleep dogs lie, because a U17 year old boy will not remain largely the same for 10 years a 21 year plus yes.

Look at Neymar and Coutinho in 2009 and they look like kids look at them now considerable change in every way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:00am On Sep 18, 2018
JoebieII:

In this context 100% correct.

There is a clear double blatant and shameless standard with regard to the approach for German Nigerian players, WHY

Add to that in comparison Tega Abrahams is stand out player, we currently do not have striker better than him.

With regards to Akpoguma, Uduokhai and Torunarigha are they better than Iorfa. But look at the approach and red carpet antics set up to get them into the SE.

And how they treated Iorfa almost like there is some hidden bad belle going on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:39am On Sep 18, 2018
komekn:

In this context 100% correct.

There is a clear double blatant and shameless standard with regard to the approach for German Nigerian players, WHY

Add to that in comparison Tega Abrahams is stand out player, we currently do not have striker better than him.

With regards to Akpoguma, Uduokhai and Torunarigha are they better than Iorfa. But look at the approach and red carpet antics set up to get them into the SE.

And how they treated Iorfa almost like there is some hidden bad belle going on.
LMFAO!

Stand-out Kini? How has he stood out this season? How did he stand out last season? Or are you still trying to drag us back to two seasons ago in the championship?

Remove your sentimental shades Oga, Tammy is another average, over hyped player who was exposed for the fraud he is last season. If he was German, you would be roasting him and telling us how he would never make it in League Two

The only clear double blatant and shameless standard here is the one you set. Go and buy shame in Alaba market and stop showing yourself here

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 9:07am On Sep 18, 2018
There's too much consideration for average players here. Invitation to such players will not augur well for the team. There will be no step up in gameplay/improvement. Please let's stick to the best of the bunch, CURRENTLY PLAYING TOP LEAGUE FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:25am On Sep 18, 2018
charlesemeka85:
forgiveness i doubt if you have seen igbekeme and fikayo play this season. i don't rate players based on their past exploits but current form and this is one of the problems bedeviling the apex team of this nation. igbekeme is miles better than onazi based on current form. he is creative,versatile(can play as a cm,dm,lw and am),younger and a workaholic. currently in the spanish 2nd tier is is called the new kante and have been one of the best players in this season so far. he is currently been monitored by the likes of sevilla and other top tier clubs in spain after just joining zaragoza few weeks ago.

timori have improved so much and have been a mainstay in derby's first team. having a young player whose utility will be immerse in the team will be a plus. he is naturally a centre back but can also play the rb position comfortably. lets forget about onazi and omeruo's past exploits and accept the fact that they are washed up now

Well, I have not seen both played this season but based on what I saw in Tomori's game last season and from what I know about hyping on players in the early stage of the season, I don't think they are good enough or better than Onazi and Omeruo. Mbanu

Watched Tomori closely several times but I wasn't really impressed or wooded by him. Maybe he has improved as you said but how much? Has he made Championships team of the week or won MOTMs?

Last season, Ramon Azeez won MOTM award and made team of the week in la Liga 2 early in the season but faded off at the end of the season. We also heard how big clubs in EPL and LA Liga monitored him but......So, I don't think Igbekeme has done anything deserving to be called to the national team for now except he wins la Liga player of the month or gets nominated for la Liga 2 player of the year.

If you talk about versatility and current form, Onazi is versatile and currently in form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:45am On Sep 18, 2018
komekn:

I have watched Fikayo play live several times up close and personal. Yes he has improved.

It's difficult for me to say No to any player because the standard level of achievement that should exist before a player is invited is now VERY QUESTIONABLE.

In reality we do not have one. We are inviting B team youth players to the SE.

From what I have seen he is improving but he is not better than Aina who is considerably ahead of him.

Well, I don't know if he has improved but the last time I saw him I was not impressed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:08am On Sep 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

Hahahahahahahahaha u dun see am nah. Little wonder he was as slow as snail on the pitch, the few times we felled for his tricks and invited him to the Super Eagles

Haruna last game for the SE was against Tanzania in Dar es Salam I believe.. The wat he was playing in the first half eh...I was so angry... The guys at the viewing centre started insulting him cus it was obvious he faked his age..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2018
Haha Collins na defender na.

Komekn go happy well well. Komekn, which English manager do you recommend?

Icon4s:

You don't even need to score. Did Jamilu Collins score any goal before he got invited? The thing is he just rates the German leagues higher than other leagues in the World. Let us employ and English raised coach now and see whether he will not flood the Super Eagles with all those '' Borough'' boys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:21am On Sep 18, 2018
SlayerForever:
There's too much consideration for average players here. Invitation to such players will not augur well for the team. There will be no step up in gameplay/improvement. Please let's stick to the best of the bunch, CURRENTLY PLAYING TOP LEAGUE FIRST TEAM FOOTBALL.
Cause we are the Brazils,Germanys & Spains of this world?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:29am On Sep 18, 2018
Icon4s:

You don't even need to score. Did Jamilu Collins score any goal before he got invited? The thing is he just rates the German leagues higher than other leagues in the World. Let us employ and English raised coach now and see whether he will not flood the Super Eagles with all those '' Borough'' boys.

u see it... if it was one of the local coach doing like that,Nigerians would have accused him of being a tribalist or corrupt...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:37am On Sep 18, 2018
chuks aneke? bros go sleep abeg cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
komekn:

Tomori may have played center back but he is very far off the mark.

My first impressions of Tomori from last season was he was just OK nothing exceptional. Aina was top class and considerably ahead of him. I haven't seen him live this season.

His current manager is a former Chelsea player and he is finally getting a lot more game time.

But the question is how many MOTM awards or team of the weak awards has he got this season. Quality is not hidden when exceptional it's generally acknowledged even by your detractors.

Unfortunately our standards for selection to the SE have become subjective, personified and without clear and open structure based on merit. On this basis he can now be a prospect.

Otherwise from the standards I expect for the SE he is not there yet.

However, a player that has been ignored playing in the lowly league 2. Extremely consistent now that he has overcome his injuries, he is the stand out player in that league, Chuks Aneke he would bring real attacking threat and presence to the SE from what l have see.

I expect him to move in the January transfer window if MK Dons will allow it. Thay have already blocked moves to the Championship for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:44am On Sep 18, 2018
ROCK KO! where is he currently playing now self?
komekn:

I rate Dominic Iorfa much more than him.

Look at Dominic consistency from his first game as a teenager playing first team for Wolves. Winning MOTM awards being invited to England first team to train, etc.

What happened super agent Mendes took control of Wolves and made it a EPL project. Wolves has more Portuguese players in thier team than Benfica and Porto.

Dominic could be like one of our best defenders who had similar problems, Danny Shittu. Denied opportunity from clueless coaches he was a ROCK for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:57am On Sep 18, 2018
Tammy is not better than ighalo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 18, 2018
maidaboi:
Tammy is not better than ighalo

You say wetin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 11:39am On Sep 18, 2018
Truidstar:

You say wetin
i know you are not blind

(1) (2) (3) ... (4741) (4742) (4743) (4744) (4745) (4746) (4747) ... (16246) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Lawag3, Amedino99(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.