Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,410 members, 7,861,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:10 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11930653 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:52pm On Sep 10, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Netherlands
Omeruo, Eduok debut in Turkey, Liverpool loanee Awoniyi crashes with Dutch club
[/size]
Kenneth Omeruo started and finished on his debut for Alanyaspor as they held hosts Genclerbirligi to a goalless draw, while Emem Eduok made his bow in an away loss at Basaksehir.

Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi will also wish to forget his debut for Dutch club NEC Nijmegen after they were battered 4-0 at home by PSV.

Eduok, who is on a season-long loan from Esperance of Tunisia, was an 83rdminute substitute for Kasimpasa.

The scoreless draw by Alanyaspor at Genclerbirligi has shot them to sixth on the table with four points from three matches.

In Holland, Awoniyi started for NEC, but he was replaced in the 72ndminute.
africanfootball.com/news/646213/Omeruo-Eduok-debut-in-Turkey-Liverpool-loanee-Awoniyi-crashes-with-Dutch-club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:29am On Sep 11, 2016
Goals for

Otigba
Ehizibue
Kelechi
Ighalo
Sunday MBA

Awoniyi started in the Dutch first division but they were walloped by PSV. Hopefully, he regains his scoring touch and starts to improve.

Madu was on the bench for 90 mins.

Lots of Nigerians on show tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:43am On Sep 11, 2016
You won't believe I actually missed the "part 1" of the biggest manchester derby ever so far.

I was so engaged but the day was so fruitful for me that I had a good feeling that Nacho had made history by scoring.

I never got to know what happened until 6pm... Yep hours passed after the derby before I found out.

I was so excited for Nacho and declared, "This is the game that announces him to the other biased half of the English media finally!!!!!"

I must commend Pep's Faith and Boldness and also dare in starting Nacho. Aguero now knows there's a super lad who can make him "not missed" in his absence.

Last season, Rashford became Man Utd's youngest scorer in a derby, Now in part 1 of the biggest Manchester derby ever, Nacho became Man City's Youngest Scorer... smiley

Africa must be so angry Nacho and Nigeria won't be at Afcon 2017 but that is ofcos good news for the qualified nations.

It means that with Nigeria's absence, there's a major headache not to encounter at the Afcon. Algeria, Cameroun and Our first opponents, Zambia should be worried as regards World cup qualifying coz This Nigerian team with Nacho, Miikel and co will be very hard to beat and difficult to avoid defeat against (though there's still some work to do as regards finishing off our opponents and taking every chance we get. Once we are wickedly lethal, believe me, even Mahrez and Co will fall not once but twice).

Ohhh I can't end this without giving a fine mention to one of my favorite players in the EPL and in the Man City team.... KEVIN "DE BRAINS" wink

I have always called him by this nickname ever since his move to Man City and he keeps showing why he is so vital to the club.

It was the day of the K-factors.... "Kelechi (Kelly) and Kevin..." smiley

TheGoodJoe:
Iheanacho became City’s youngest goalscorer in a derby game when he added a second. He has now scored nine goals from his last 13 shots on target and continues to develop into a fine forward.

He may lack experience, and Guardiola was right to take him off early in the second half, but this is a young player with so much quality.

At the final whistle, he went over to the away end to show his appreciation and was greeted with the fans singing his name on a loop.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2662833-manchester-citys-derby-demolition-shows-they-are-streets-ahead-of-united

[size=14pt]IAN NACHO [/size]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:43am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Turkey

Ighalo opens Premier League account, Iwobi back as Otigba shines in Turkey
[/size]
Odion Ighalo opened scoring to inspire Watford to their first win of the season as they defeated West Ham 4-2 as injured Alex Iwobi returned to action for Arsenal.

Watford now have four points from as many matches.

Ighalo pulled a goal back for Watford in the 41stminute after hosts West Ham had raced to a 2-0 lead.

He also assisted in Watford fourth goal.
The 27-year-old striker netted 15 goals last season.

On Saturday, he was replaced by compatriot Isaac Success in the 69thminute.

Iwobi was a 75thminute substitute after he recovered a thigh injury from the opening game of the season.

In Turkey, Nigeria-born Kenny Otigba was on target for Kasimpasa as they fell 2-1 at fellow Istanbul side Medipol Basaksehir.

He opened scoring after 33 minutes, but will be booked in the second half.

africanfootball.com/news/646111/Ighalo-opens-Premier-League-account-Iwobi-back-as-Otigba-shines-in-Turkey
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:53am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel admits he paid his own money to save Nigeria's Olympics
[/size]

The Chelsea midfielder has recently returned to London from a successful Rio 2016 campaign and was brutally honest about the extent of the problems he faced out there.

EXCLUSIVE
John Obi Mikel has slammed the Nigeria Football Federation after he was forced to put up his own money to help his country achieve their remarkable bronze medal at Rio 2016.

The Nigeria captain organised travel, paid for meals and booked training pitches while trying to physically and tactically prepare for games.

The bronze medal, Mikel explained, was his country's only moment of glory during the Olympics amid the troubles he had in Brazil.

"I think if we talk about the money that I put into the team I think it was more than [£30,000]," Mikel told Goal. "But we just had to do it.

"I said to myself, 'I won’t let this happen. If I can help, I’ll try to help'. Sometimes there was no food, sometimes there was no pitch to train on, there was no bus to go to the training ground. So all of this was what me and the coach had to figure out, and get money together.

"I came to the camp. I sat down with the boys in Atlanta and I could see the frustration, the pain and the anger. Their aim was to play in the Olympics, their goal was to play in the Olympics.

"And for me being there and seeing what they are going through, they are young boys, they want to start their career and someone in the ministry is trying to crush that dream."

Mikel and his Nigeria team-mates' problems began in the United States as they trained in Atlanta, where Nigeria won a shock gold medal in 1996 after a thrilling 3-2 win over Argentina.

He had to work closely on off-the-pitch arrangements with the Nigeria coach Samson Siasia and told of how, after problems with funding for the flights to the tournament, his team arrived only hours before their first game, which they remarkably still won against Sweden.

"There was just no flight provided by the Nigerian ministry," he added. "We planned to leave three or four days before the tournament, but we ended up leaving the day of our first game.

It was a difficult one. I don’t think I have ever seen something like that before, it was crazy.

"Sometimes I wear my medal around the house, it gets my missus jealous," he joked as he showed off his medal. "The kids love playing with the medal. I am sure one day they will know what this really means.

"We had lots of problems outside the pitch, but I always told the boys that you shouldn’t let that affect what we came here to do.

We still want to achieve what we came here to do. We still have to represent our country and play for ourselves and our family and the people of Nigeria.

"So if the ministry don’t want to take responsibility, we have to make sure we play for ourselves and our country. The boys understand that and we made sure they went along with my message that I kept putting across to them every single day and we managed to achieve what we did achieve."
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4055/main/2016/09/10/27384312/mikel-admits-he-paid-his-own-money-to-save-nigerias-olympics
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jobsat34(m): 6:54am On Sep 11, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Totally missed it. I had to rush to do something after the game. I will download it later and watch it. Thanks for the update.

Pls share the match highlight link too..

CFC fan that loves good football

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:58am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Will Odion Ighalo find confidence as barren run ends?
[/size]

The Nigerian star found the net as he helped his side to a hard fought comeback against West Ham in the Premier League, can he build on it?

Nigeria striker Odion Ighaloopened this season’s Premier League account and sparked Watford’s comeback from 2-0 down to win 4-2 against West Ham United at the London Stadium on Saturday, but can the goal prompt an upturn in fortunes for the frontman?

The victory was The Hornets’ first of the season and sees them climb way from the relegation zone and as high as tenth.

Dimitri Payet was the architect behind both of the Hammers’ opening goals as Michail Antonio continued his fine start to the season with two headers inside the first 33 minutes.

But after struggling to score in Watford’s previous three matches, the Nigerian international finally got off the mark as he cut inside from the left and fired home a deflected effort to open his account and pull a goal back for the guests in the 41st minute.

It was his first strike since May 2016, and only his second league goal in 2016.

Ighalo stats vs. West Ham United
Troy Deeney grabbed an equaliser in first-half stoppage time to send the two sides deadlocked to the interval.

Seven minutes into the second half, Etienne Capoue completed Watford’s comeback with a stunning left-footed volley after fantastic build up from Roberto Pereyra and Daryl Janmaat.

Jose Holebas rounded off the comeback and put the game beyond the Hammers with a strike just after the hour mark when he smashed home Ighalo’s cut back from the edge of the box.

27-year-old Ighalo would soon depart to a rousing ovation, having scored and assisted, as he made way for fellow compatriot Isaac Success in the 69th minute.

Success made an immediate impact as he tore down West Ham’s defence with his blistering pace to create a few chances of his own, but could not get on the score sheet.

Watford coach Walter Mazzarri will surely be happy with Ighalo’s effort after he recently expressed appreciation at the Super Eagles forward’s decision to remain at the club despite a reported £37.5 million bid for his services during the recent transfer window.

Surely the strike will act as a confidence booster for the forward, who also failed to find the net during Nigeria’s international break.

However, the job for Mazzarri will be to ensure that Ighalo can build on Saturday’s strike and return to the devastating form he demonstrated during 2015, rather than the anonymous, lukewarm performances of 2016.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4079/features/2016/09/11/27390012/will-odion-ighalo-find-confidence-as-barren-run-ends
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lordabas: 7:20am On Sep 11, 2016
Apart from Kelechi's goal i was genuinely disappointed in his play. Boy needs to work on his first touch and improve on using his right foot. His one footedness is sickening. If he doesn't improve i'm afraid he will be chopping bench when Gabriel Jesus arrives in January.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:39am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Fanendo Adi Scoring For Fun In MLS, Scores 14th Goal Of The Season
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/11/fanendo-adi-scoring-for-fun-in-mls-scores-14th-goal-of-the-season/[/img]
Out of favour Super Eagles forward Fanendo Adi is making a case for his recall to the Super Eagles with his current goal scoring streak for his MLS side Portland Timbers.

The 25 year old was called up to the Super Eagles team by coach Samson Siasia after his exploit last season, when he scored 18 goals from 39 games. But he failed to make the match day squad for both legs of the AFCON 2017 qualifiers tie against Egypt, which he was invited for.

However his recent purple patch in front of goal could help me get the attention of new coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr, who is reportedly looking for options to bolster his forward line.

Adi struck his 14th goal of the season to help Portland Timbers beat Real Salt Lake 1-0. His third goal in four games, that moved him to three goals behind top scorer David Villa.

Already he is four goals away from his last season tally with more than 11 games to go before the end of the season in the USA.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/11/fanendo-adi-scoring-for-fun-in-mls-scores-14th-goal-of-the-season/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:41am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Match Winner Iheanacho Admits He Almost Walked Out Of Old Trafford Before Kick-Off
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/match-winner-iheanacho-admits-he-almost-walked-out-of-old-trafford-before-kick-off/[/img]
Kelechi Iheanacho who struck the winning goal for Manchester City in the Manchester Derby against Manchester United admits he headed the wrong way out of Old Trafford before kick-off.

Iheanacho struck the all important winning goal that gave City a 2-1 win over their city rivals but the Nigerian, while answering question from Sky Sports confirmed he took the wrong turn and almost walked out of the stadium upon arrival.

”Yes, It was about being in the right place at the right time. It means all because it is a dream come true to play in Manchester derby and get the winning goal” He said.

”I am very, very happy for everyone and the fans who came to support us.

”It was a great day for me and the fans and the team as well. We’re happy”. He concluded.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/match-winner-iheanacho-admits-he-almost-walked-out-of-old-trafford-before-kick-off/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:43am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
I started Iheanacho To Make A Statement, Says Pep Guardiola
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/i-started-iheanacho-to-make-a-statement-says-pep-guardiola/[/img]
Pep Guardiola revealed he started Nigeria super teen Kelechi Iheanacho against Manchester United in the Manchester Derby because he wanted to make a statement to his players.

The Nigerian was handed a shock start upfront ahead of other contenders in the absence of top striker Sergio Aguero and he repaid the manager’s faith by scoring the winner for Manchester City.

”He was the only striker we had in that moment. I thought about many other options- but I thought in the beginning to show my players that I came to win the game” He said after the 2-1 win.

On why he withdrew the 19 year old just eight minutes into the second half. The Spaniard explained that the need for defensive re-enforcement in the wake of countless attacks from Manchester United made him introduce Fernando in place of the match winner.

“In the second half we started poorly – they had many crosses. We had the ball, then lost the ball. Had the ball – lost the ball.

“In the second half United pushed a lot. The substitutions from my colleague were really good.

“They played long balls and diagonals to win and it was almost impossible.

“Fernando was the key player in the second half for us,”
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/i-started-iheanacho-to-make-a-statement-says-pep-guardiola/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:47am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
The Records Iheanacho Broke With His Goal In The Manchester Derby
[/size]
Kelechi Iheanacho has entered into the record books with his goal for Manchester City in the 2-1 derby win against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

19 year old Iheanacho was handed a start by manager Pep Guardiola in the absence of star forward Sergio Kun Aguero and the Nigerian didn’t disappoint putting in a performance that played a big role in the win for City.

He created the first goal for Manchester City, before scoring their second goal minutes afterwards to move into the history books as the youngest ever goal scorer for Manchester City in the history of the Manchester derby.

His goal also saw him move into a selected list of African players who have scored in the tie, joining the trio of Tunisian Hatem Ben Arfa, Ivory Coast Yaya Toure and Benjani of Zimbabwe.

Also his strike made him the first Nigerian to score a goal in the historic fixture. He also holds the record of the first Nigerian to have played in the fixture, a feat he achieved last season.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/the-records-iheanacho-broke-with-his-goal-in-the-manchester-derby/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:48am On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
Theophilus Solomon Scores Again To Power Istra To Victory In Croatia
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/theophilus-solomon-scores-again-to-power-istra-to-victory-in-croatia/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:53am On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ofoedu Hit Brace, Eneramo Bags Debut Goal In Battle Of Nigerian Strikers In Turkey
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/ofoedu-hit-brace-eneramo-bags-debut-goal-in-battle-of-nigerian-strikers-in-turkey/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:54am On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
AFCON 2013 Hero Sunday Mba On Target For Turkish Side
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/afcon-2013-hero-sunday-mba-on-target-for-turkish-side/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:54am On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
Musa Mohammed Missing, Super Eagles Hopeful Otigba On Target, Eduok Debuts In Turkey
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/musa-mohammed-missing-super-eagles-hopeful-otigba-on-target-eduok-debuts-in-turkey/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:09am On Sep 11, 2016
One-footedness gave Messi five ballon D'ors...

One footedness made Nacho the youngest Scorer for Man City in a Manchester derby in the premier league era... The most expensive manchester derby so far based on players' value.

Bailly struggled against Nacho. And you are here claiming disappointment in his overall play. Look, I have seen a repeat of the game so back off and leave Nacho alone... Haba!!!

Gabriel Jesus to bench who?? Nacho?? It's like you must be a hater finally coz I don't see that happening. Nacho is a natural goal getter and super-hybrid forward. Gabriel is NOT!!!!!!!!

I am even sure same was said about Leroy Sane's and Nolito's arrivals and Marlos Moreno's impending arrival after his loan (sealed a loan move soon after he was bought)

Note: He has scored with his right foot before for Man City. Check out the games from last season.

Did you watch Nacho vs. Stoke?? Did you see how he used his right to create that dummy for Sterling to burst through on goal which led to Nolito's second goal and City's fourth??

In football, a lot of details come to play and based on that, your view on Nacho's play is not cogent at all but biased.

Lordabas:
Apart from Kelechi's goal i was genuinely disappointed in his play. Boy needs to work on his first touch and improve on using his right foot. His one footedness is sickening. If he doesn't improve i'm afraid he will be chopping bench when Gabriel Jesus arrives in January.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:15am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: PSL Side Chippa United Make Transfer Enquiry For Nigeria League Top Scorer Obaje
[/size]
Godwin Obaje is obviously the most sought after player in the Nigeria Professional Football League, as reports indicate that Premier Soccer League (PSL) side Chippa United has joined the likes of Tunisian giants Sfaxien and Esperance.

His elder brother Joshua Obaje who played in South Africa for two and a half years for Black Leopards was reportedly approached by an agent based in South Africa to sound out the possibility of having the forward move to PSL side Chippa United.

The PSL side must fend off interest from teams from Israel and Tunisian giants Esperance and Sfaxien if they are to stand any chance of signing the forward, who reportedly fancies a move to Israel.

However Chippa United can use their strong links with Nigerian players to snap up the hot in demand striker, as they presently have a Nigerian captain in James Okwuosa with Super Eagles shot stopper Daniel Akpeyi also on their books.

Obaje, 19, has 18 goals in the Nigeria League for title chasers Wikki Tourist with four goals in his last five games, taking him five goals clear of his challenger for the top scorer award.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/11/exclusive-psl-side-chippa-united-make-transfer-enquiry-for-nigeria-league-top-scorer-obaje/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:19am On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
FC Porto Forces Musa Yahaya To Put Wedding Plans To Movie Star On Hold
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/fc-porto-forces-musa-yahaya-to-put-wedding-plans-to-movie-star-on-hold/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:22am On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
True Status Of FC Porto Deal With “Nigerian Robben” Samuel Chukwueze
[/size]
Nigeria Under-17 World Cup winner Samuel Chukwueze recently resumed training with FC Porto and, with the left footed dazzler yet to turn 18, Owngoalnigeria.com can reveal the status of his current deal with the Portuguese giants.

Chukwueze widely regarded as one of the best teen footballers in Nigeria, was heavily tipped to join his Under-17 winning compatriot Kelechi Nwakali at Arsenal but the move broke down due to disagreements over transfer fee and mode of payments.

We gathered he has signed a pre contract with FC Porto, who will in turn make the deal a permanent one once he turned 18 by May next year. For now he will train with the U-17 team of the club till December when he is expected to return back to Nigeria.

He is presently only entitled to stipends for his upkeeps until his 18th year birthday next year, although the Portuguese side have already paid a part of the agreed transfer fee.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/true-status-of-fc-porto-deal-with-nigerian-robben-samuel-chukwueze/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:25am On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
Prolific Nwakaeme Steals The Headline In Israel After Hattrick For Champions Hapoel Beer Sheva
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/prolific-nwakaeme-steals-the-headline-in-israel-after-hattrick-for-champions-hapoel-beer-sheva/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 9:36am On Sep 11, 2016
Lordabas:
Are u ready to defend ur utterances throughout the day and early part of tomorrow.
But what really count in football is your end-goal impact to result.
but talking about his display yesterday, all the media that read rated him 8/10,only KDB was rated higher. Positioning is very very important in football.
You don't have to b Zidan or Ronaldinho to make an impact on the pitch.
And if u put Gabriel jesus with all his skills and Nacho,I will certainly choose Nacho.
Happy sunday.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:15am On Sep 11, 2016
jobsat34:

Pls share the match highlight link too..

CFC fan that loves good football

http://hoofoot.com/?match=Manchester_United_1_-_2_Manchester_City_2016_09_10
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:47am On Sep 11, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel admits he paid his own money to save Nigeria's Olympics
[/size]

The Chelsea midfielder has recently returned to London from a successful Rio 2016 campaign and was brutally honest about the extent of the problems he faced out there.

EXCLUSIVE
John Obi Mikel has slammed the Nigeria Football Federation after he was forced to put up his own money to help his country achieve their remarkable bronze medal at Rio 2016.

The Nigeria captain organised travel, paid for meals and booked training pitches while trying to physically and tactically prepare for games.

The bronze medal, Mikel explained, was his country's only moment of glory during the Olympics amid the troubles he had in Brazil.

"I think if we talk about the money that I put into the team I think it was more than [£30,000]," Mikel told Goal. "But we just had to do it.

"I said to myself, 'I won’t let this happen. If I can help, I’ll try to help'. Sometimes there was no food, sometimes there was no pitch to train on, there was no bus to go to the training ground. So all of this was what me and the coach had to figure out, and get money together.

"I came to the camp. I sat down with the boys in Atlanta and I could see the frustration, the pain and the anger. Their aim was to play in the Olympics, their goal was to play in the Olympics.

"And for me being there and seeing what they are going through, they are young boys, they want to start their career and someone in the ministry is trying to crush that dream."

Mikel and his Nigeria team-mates' problems began in the United States as they trained in Atlanta, where Nigeria won a shock gold medal in 1996 after a thrilling 3-2 win over Argentina.

He had to work closely on off-the-pitch arrangements with the Nigeria coach Samson Siasia and told of how, after problems with funding for the flights to the tournament, his team arrived only hours before their first game, which they remarkably still won against Sweden.

"There was just no flight provided by the Nigerian ministry," he added. "We planned to leave three or four days before the tournament, but we ended up leaving the day of our first game.

It was a difficult one. I don’t think I have ever seen something like that before, it was crazy.

"Sometimes I wear my medal around the house, it gets my missus jealous," he joked as he showed off his medal. "The kids love playing with the medal. I am sure one day they will know what this really means.

"We had lots of problems outside the pitch, but I always told the boys that you shouldn’t let that affect what we came here to do.

We still want to achieve what we came here to do. We still have to represent our country and play for ourselves and our family and the people of Nigeria.

"So if the ministry don’t want to take responsibility, we have to make sure we play for ourselves and our country. The boys understand that and we made sure they went along with my message that I kept putting across to them every single day and we managed to achieve what we did achieve."
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4055/main/2016/09/10/27384312/mikel-admits-he-paid-his-own-money-to-save-nigerias-olympics
[/b]

Heroic contributions from Mikel and co. who supported the team during the trials at Atlanta and Rio will not be forgotten. Very impressive and I hope the other young players learn from these lads. Even those of the past like Okwaraji, Keshi, Oliseh, Siasia and co. who were ready the make us scale through challenges.

You guys deserve much respect on and off the pitch.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:40am On Sep 11, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[size=14pt]
Ofoedu Hit Brace, Eneramo Bags Debut Goal In Battle Of Nigerian Strikers In Turkey
[/size]
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/10/ofoedu-hit-brace-eneramo-bags-debut-goal-in-battle-of-nigerian-strikers-in-turkey/

Chikeluba Ofoedu is a player I expected to be a main stay in a decent team in one of the top 4 leagues in Europe, judging from what I saw of him in 2012.
It's hard to believe he is turning out for a team in the 2nd tier of Turkish football.
I hope he gets out of that footballers grave that is Turkey as quickly as possible. His talent deserves better recognition. Top top player

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2016
goldfish80:

Chikeluba Ofoedu is a player I expected to be a main stay in a decent team in one of the top 4 leagues in Europe, judging from what I saw of him in 2012.
It's hard to believe he is turning out for a team in the 2nd tier of Turkish football.
I hope he gets out of that footballers grave that is Turkey as quickly as possible. His talent deserves better recognition. Top top player
That is the problem I have with some of these leagues; Turkish and German Leagues, though we may have to blame their agents to some extent. Take for instance, a player like Musa Muhammed should not be tied to the bench, th guy looks too promising.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:03pm On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Cameroon
Nigeria name squad for World Cup qualifier in Zambia in 2 weeks - official
[/size]
by Samm Audu

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr will pick his squad for next month’s 2018 World Cup qualifier in Zambia in two weeks, officials have disclosed.

The World Cup qualifier in Ndola will be played on October 9.

“The Eagles squad list for the match in Zambia will be announced by the third week of this month,” an official informed.

Rohr has already hinted that the call-ups for this game will mainly be those who were involved in the recent AFCON 2017 qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo, which was used as a warm-up for the Zambia match.

The Franco-German coach has also said Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi and Portugal-based Oghenekaro Etebo will be invited after they have recovered from injuries.

Rohr has said he will meet up with Lille goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama to rescind his decision to quit international football.

However, Chidozie Awaziem and Imoh Ezekiel, who did not make the match-day squad for the Tanzania game are not likely to be invited.

Awaziem, a midfielder who has been converted to central defence, has been demoted to the FC Porto second team this season after the Portuguese club did not register him for the UEFA Champions League.
africanfootball.com/news/646300/Nigeria-name-squad-for-World-Cup-qualifier-in-Zambia-in-2-weeks-official
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria Premier League 2016 Warri Wolves
Salami brace gets Finnish club third win over title chasers
[/size]
Gbolahan Salami fired twice as KuPS defeated title front runners Mariehamn for the third time this season when they won 2-1 at home in a Finnish league game today.

KuPS have now moved to third on the table with 41 points from 25 matches, nine points behind leaders HJK.

KuPS also beat their opponents in the reverse fixture as well as in the Finland Cup.

Salami opened scoring from the penalty spot after 57 minutes, before second-placed Mariehamn drew level two minutes later.

However, Salami, top scorer in the Nigeria league last season, grabbed the match winner in the 63rdminute.

The former Shooting Stars and Warri Wolves star has now scored 10 goals in 24 league appearances.

He is now four goals shy of the leading scorer in the Finnish top league.

Three other Nigeria stars played from start to finish for KuPS – Azubuike Egwuekwe, Abubakar Aliyu and Paul Onobi.
africanfootball.com/news/645966/Salami-brace-gets-Finnish-club-third-win-over-title-chasers
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:11pm On Sep 11, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Portugal
U17 world champion John Lazarus bags Boavista trials
[/size]
Fullback John Lazarus, who won last year’s FIFA U17 World Cup with Nigeria, has been invited for trials by Portuguese club Boavista.

Lazarus had earlier received an invitation from another Portuguese club Rio Ave for trials.

He is a stocky, all-action right fullback who came through the Nigeria U15s.

He also featured for the country’s U20 team, the Flying Eagles, who failed to qualify for next year’s U20 AFCON in Zambia.
africanfootball.com/news/646291/U17-world-champion-John-Lazarus-bags-Boavista-trials

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
zoboizee:

I wholly agree with you. Nigeria parade lots of average players in the NT at the moment. whose reading of the game & movements on the pitch leaves nothing to be desired. Look at our game against Tanzania for example, our substitutes in person of simon & ndidi played their role better than the guys initially in the position. Once the coach starts picking players on merits, players with tactical awareness & technical abilities, then we will do better. We need defensive midfielder who can block/break play or intercept the ball & quickly turn it into attack & is equally better in aerial duels & can move with the ball or give short or long pass with precision & with an eagle eye for goal. And we also need wingers that understand their strikers and will be ready to play with him. Someone releasing the ball on time and not foot dragging like moses all the time.

I am sorry bro but you mean Ndidi played his role better than Mikel?! Or that Moses Simon played better than Victor Moses?! Please, sentiments aside, Mikel was the main guy when he was on the pitch, easily the best player before he left and Moses, his misses aside was absolutely destroying his marker, I didn't even know when Simon entered the match

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2016
Lordabas:

I was about to start bashing you, but then I read your signature below your post and then I found out that you are still a very young lad with little understanding of the game. I wouldn't have answered but...

We look at his pace, originally Nacho isn't really a pacy guy but in this game he was mandated to use his pace and guess what? He was absolutely phenomenal at that. I am not his fan, but come on, he did that well, his zonal marking(something that I complained about in Sadiq Umar's game) was perfect, his positioning was great. Do you know that he literally played as a midfielder in that game? I said it here not too long ago that Nacho is absolutely versatile and his versatility makes him a better fit than Aguero for me any time and any day and yesterday we saw that in all it's glory. Nacho's positioning and versatility brought out the best in De Bruyne and Silva yesterday, De Bruyne was practically the main striker, he entered that position whenever he wanted and Nacho would intelligently switch to midfield almost immediately. He was subbed because like I said, using his pace isn't really his best mode of football so he was looking gassed out and because Pep wanted to use a false 9 totally because if you remember well Mourinho said Pep would use a false 9 before the game, so Manu's formation was created to counter that, so after going behind and immediately they made those two subs, it created more room for a good false 9 and Silva took care of that role perfectly well, so it was a tactical sub, not out of anger or disappointment

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
Joseph1013 I suggest we create a special thread for our youth teams, a plat form for the discussion and follow up of all our youth players both home and abroad.

CC: Sir Icon4s, TheGoodJoe, TheSuperNerd, Forgiveness, Safarigirl, tbaba1234, zoboizee, Mickael2, Napoleon55, Lordabas, goldfish80, enomakos, Daninya11, zuchyblink, CFCFan, Blackalbino6, bigblangston, lexyman, Terzurum5, Confun, irondome, Pavarotti, OdenigboAroli and all stakeholders, sorry if I missed your name pls.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: joelsteron, jihday(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.