Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,865 members, 7,855,550 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 03:28 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11899075 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (16287) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:24am On Sep 08, 2016
This season we have a lot of players playing in the best clubs and leagues in the world. This season some players move to better leagues. And many of them will be playing in European league. That is good for our football.

I want to focus on the attacking midfield were we have fewer options but I think it is no longer an issue.

Apart from Mikel Obi who obviously is the number one choice. I will list those who can step in to fill the gap.

1, Alex Iwobi - Arsenal - England (UEFA league)

2, Rabiu Ibrahim - Gent - Belgium (Europa League)

3, Josh Onomah (if he agrees) - Tottenham -England(UEFA league)

4, Abdul Ajagun - Roda JC - Netherland

5, Raheem Lawal - Osmanlispor - Turkey (Europa League)

6, Nosa Igbiebor- Maccabi-tel-aviv-fc - Israel - (Europa League)

7, Sodiq Popoola - Metz(ligue 1) - France

8, Sone Aluko - Hull city - England

If you know more, pls do add.

Modified
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I repeat u have never seen him in a holding role because if u have all this wouldn't be necessary. Just last year Yaya had 86% passing accuracy and that was as a box to box player. Now imagine him being told to stand one place and pass the ball. Go check his stats at barca as a cb.One of his biggest strengths is passing.

Stones as a defender had 88% passing past year, a state that Kompany a defender did better than Stones. That gives you an idea.

Yaya can play in the system but some play better. It does not mean Yaya is poor quality. Guardiola is selecting the best.

Also, the pressing and fighting for the ball when we lose it. It is not that Yaya can not do it but others do it better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:30am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You highlighted he is a good ball passer. Are you saying he is a better ball passer than Busquets? That is short passes.

They are not as far apart as u make them. I can agree that because age and nationality were on side Busquets was the best option.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:30am On Sep 08, 2016
forgiveness:
This season we have a lot of players playing in the best clubs and leagues in the world. This season some players move to better leagues. And many of them will be playing in European league. That is good for our football.

I want to focus on the attacking midfield were we have fewer options but I think it is no longer an issue.

Apart from Mikel Obi who obviously is the number one choice. I will list those who can step in to fill the gap.

1, Alex Iwobi - Arsenal - England (UEFA league)

2, Rabiu Ibrahim - Gent - Belgium (Europa League)

3, Josh Onomah (if he agrees) - Tottenham -England(UEFA league)

4, Abdul Ajagun - Roda JC - Netherland

5, Raheem Lawal - Osmanlispor - Turkey (Europa League)

6, Nosa Igbiebor- Maccabi-tel-aviv-fc - Israel - (Europa League)

If you know more, pls do add.

Sone Aluko deserves a call-up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

They are not as far apart as u make them. I can agree that because age and nationality were on side Busquets was the best option.

Whether it is a one percent gap, the coach has to pick the best option.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:37am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Stones as a defender had 88% passing past year, a state that Kompany a defender did better than Stones. That gives you an idea.

Yaya can play in the system but some play better. It does not mean Yaya is poor quality. Guardiola is selecting the best.

Also, the pressing and fighting for the ball when we lose it. It is not that Yaya can not do it but others do it better.

Last year was an off year as we all know. Normally he is a 90% passer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Please say u talking about a phone call.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:43am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Bros, Sone Aluko is a natural left winger. I followed him from his days in Aberdeen to Rangers before he moved to Hull city after he had failed trials with Juventus_F.C. Believe me, he played better on that wing than the attacking midfield position he played for Hull city. In fact, he played better for Hull city on that wing before he diminished on attacking midfield position.

Moreover, he is down the pecking order because he is playing in the second division of English league. It will be unfair to call him ahead of those players listed. Even Ramon Azeez is ahead of him now because the boy is not just playing but also influencing his team with goals at present.

But statistics this season shows that he has 2 assist and 1 goal to his credit. He also played all his five matches on the attacking midfield position. Good!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:44am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Whether it is a one percent gap, the coach has to pick the best option.

We are talking now but at first Yaya was far better. Busquets grew into the role. Are u saying Yaya wouldn't grow if afforded the time? Now he plays a different role he is the one who collects short passes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:50am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Please say u talking about a phone call.

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:59am On Sep 08, 2016
Gil Vicente new boy Balarabe targets Nigeria call-up

Balarabe (second right) with his rep Orelaja (far right) and Gil Vicente officials

Gil Vicente new signing Sadik Olaniyi Balarabe has told AfricanFootball.com his next target will be to get a call-up by the Super Eagles as Nigeria seek qualification to the 2018 World Cup.

The England-born Nigerian joined the Portuguese team Gil Vicente on a two-year-deal after just two days trial.

"I am happy to be here at Gil Vicente, it's a new chapter in my career and life,” Balarabe told AfricanFootball.com

"I will be delighted to compete with the likes of Odion Ighalo and Kelechi Iheanacho in the Super Eagles front line.

“Playing for Nigeria is a big dream for me and I will be glad to get the chance."

The 24-year-old player, who could play as a right, left winger and striker, joined the Portuguese team from Niki Volou in Greece.

His representative Olusola Orelaja, who also represents Dele Alampasu, told AfricanFootball.com that he appreciate the club for appreciating the talent of the player nicknamed ‘Hulk’.

"He is a technically gifted striker. I thank Gil Vicente for appreciating the effort of the team to secure the player. They won't regret," Orelaja said.

‘Hulk’ has played for Levante, Iraklis Psachna and Niki Volou.

By Olusola Alao

http://africanfootball.com/news/645427/Gil-Vicente-new-boy-Balarabe-targets-Nigeria-call-up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2016
FIFA clear Nigeria's Boniface for Albanian champions

Matthew Bniface cleared by FIFA to move to Albania

World football governing body FIFA have cleared Nigerian striker Matthew Boniface to feature for Albanian champions Skenderbeau Korce.

Boniface, who played for Cypriot side Aris Limassol last season, joined Skenderbeau on a-three-year-deal but could not be registered for the league as his transfer papers were released to the Albanian club late.

The case was taken to FIFA and the verdict is he is a Skenderbeau player.

The elated player told AfricanFootball.com that he is happy that the issue has been put to rest and he is ready to play on loan at Club Trepca 89 in Kosovo for three months.

"FIFA have ruled on my case and I have been cleared as a Skenderbeau player,” he told AfricanFootball.com

“Though I can't play for them now since I wasn't registered after my papers came late, I am going to play on loan at Kosovo team Trepca 89 till December when I will return to Skenderbeau.

“I signed three year contract with them.”

He added: "I am very happy because now I finish very well and in peace with my club in Cyprus. I really appreciate everything though it was not very easy, it has ended well."

He scored eight goals last season for Aris Limassol.

By Olusola Alao

http://africanfootball.com/news/645486/FIFA-clear-Nigeria-s-Boniface-for-Albanian-champions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
EXCLUSIVE: FIFA Stop Serbia Switch For Prolific Nigerian Striker Friday Eze

FIFA have reportedly told Serbia that they cannot cap prolific Nigerian striker Friday Eze, who was two seasons ago voted the best player and also won the top scorer award in the Serbian league following a stellar campaign for modest side Mladost Lucani.

Serbia made attempt to cap the 23 year old but FIFA newly revised law on nationality switch for players stopped them from having him in their team.

” The idea was mooted to me in 2015 but I wasn’t qualified then. I was asked to play two more seasons in Serbia to make up for it, but for my career sake I had to move” Eze told Owngoalnigeria.com.

The Kaduna born forward presently plays for Saudi Arabia side Al Quadisiya on loan from relegated Qatari side Al-Fujairah, the team he joined last summer but couldn’t rescue them from relegation despite scoring 14 goals.

In Saudi Arabia, he has scored once in two games, which has now taken his tally to 30 goals in 18 months, but he still believe a national team call up from Nigeria is a distant reality.

” No chance for now, I won’t lie to myself about it, but in life you never say never. Anyday I am called up, I am ready to give my all for my fatherland”.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/09/08/exclusive-fifa-stop-serbia-switch-for-prolific-nigerian-striker-friday-eze/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

We are talking now but at first Yaya was far better. Busquets grew into the role. Are u saying Yaya wouldn't grow if afforded the time? Now he plays a different role he is the one who collects short passes.

Johan Cruyff already said at 19 years old Busquets played like a veteran. He was better as a pivot in their tiki taka system than Yaya at 19 years old. Mikel was also better in this role than Yaya by that time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2016
Super Eagles Still a Dominant Force in African Football - Elumelu

[img]https://3.bp..com/-tqv-f8nI6oM/V2u8tZAL4pI/AAAAAAAAASY/MpVYp06eSdQcbuOeiiBar6ya3vqB38TQQCPcB/s1600/b7ea5ba1-bfc7-42fd-af0e-4d281ada0393-2060x1236.jpeg[/img]

by Augustine Akhilomen

Former member of Nigeria Football Federation technical committee, Austin Elumelu, has said that the Super Eagles is still a team to beat as far as African football is concern.

Nigeria which was known to be a giant force in the round leather game during the late 90s, appears to have lost their dominance as the team now struggle against minnows in the African football.

However,ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers where Nigeria have been pitted alongside Algeria, Zambia and Cameroon, Elumelu said he's of the opinion that Africa teams are still afraid of playing the Super Eagles going by the array of stars in the team.

"Whenever any country is playing Nigeria it kind of send some shive around their spine. At times they say big names don't play football but I tell you big names do play football before they enter the pitch," Elumelu stated.

" It's like when you are playing against Cristiana Ronaldo and you will assume that some of these small nations won't panic.As you know, most of our players are been tested in Europe where they face some of the big names in world's football. So I don't entertain any fear because I know some of these minnows in African football will still struggle." he said.
http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/09/super-eagles-still-dominant-force-in.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:18pm On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Johan Cruyff already said at 19 years old Busquets played like a veteran. He was better as a pivot in their tiki taka system than Yaya at 19 years old. Mikel was also better in this role than Yaya by that time.
Dude u too like to get the last word. He don do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:24pm On Sep 08, 2016
Why Rabiu Ibrahim is a must for Super Eagles midfield

Obiweluozo Martins

The Super Eagles of Nigeria by all standard might look shaky with some level of imbalance from the goal post to the striking force but there is no denying that the strength of the team yesteryears lies in the midfield area occupied by the creative talent of Austin Okocha, Wilson Oruma and Mutiu Adepoju (the Headmaster), but in recent years that area had become its weakness a fact as a result of certain personal changes.

We emphasize with a clue on how the Eagles midfield that dominated strong teams over the years (for instance Nigeria vs. Cameroon in 2000 Nations Cup final in Surulere, Lagos) can recapture its flair and spark to the delight of Nigerian football.
On this note we evaluate why Rabiu Ibrahim is a reality check for the Super Eagles midfield.

TO COMPLEMENT IHEANACHO
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/72/71/kelechi-iheanacho-nigeria-vs-egypt_141f1zitgxyya1tvmucnhykom2.jpg?t=-1358775301&w=620&h=430[/img]
Several players of different talent have been deployed in Eagles midfield with more than average falling in that role notably Odemwimgie against Greece who could not inspire from the midfield area to set the ball in play.

Also productivity have been low as regards to some who were acceptable in that position but the emergence of dynamic talent like Kelechi Iheanacho 19+ years have restored hope in that regards as the young lad is capable of linking the midfield to the attacking third (central striker) but that can be efficient under a quality and dynamic personnel in the deep zone .Rabiu can fit into that regard and with Kelechi maturing by the day, the duo are surely a good complement for each other.

Rabiu the older can offer sheer experience and guile from which Iheanacho can tap from and mesmerize the opposing defence with wonderful run and impeccable finishing. That left foot of the duo are capable of caring out the margin of space to left the Eagles from their recent met midfield status.

LIFT CREATIVE BURDEN ON MIKEL

John Obi Mikel has taken center stage in Eagles midfield long time ago and so with that regards the creativity mantle always fall on him especially with his high profile status for playing for the one of the most elite club side in Europe in Chelsea FC. The truth here is that there is need for reinvention in the Nigerian midfield as this young man have carried the weight of the attacking midfield position and certainly is time for a division of labour in the midfield department of the Super Eagles.

Even after his conversion to a defensive midfield role at club side Chelsea the onus for creativity have been channeled to him and thereby leading to restriction of other attacking talent. Many have failed to understand that Mikel under performance in that position is as a result of increase burden and lack of responsibility from his midfield teammate in a three-man midfield mix. Imagine the combo of Mikel, Etuhu and Kaita against Mozambique at the AFCON in 2010, surely we are gonna heap the attacking responsibilities on Mikel only for Osaze Odemwimgie to respond with two individual (goals)effort to save the face of the team.

Also the Mikel, Onazi and Azeez combination was not been the best as the three are defensive and coredimited throwing in transition but a more dynamic player in Rabiu Ibrahim is needed to aid creativity and dexterity in the final third thereby exonerating the one man Mikel and enhancing his productivity and input as well in the Nigerian midfield mix.

Rabiu needs to be integrated firmly and consistently to the creative midfield role as he has more than enough in contribution and the earlier this is done the search for goals may still be inefficient following Eagles slender 1-0 win over Tanzania at the weekend.

PROMOTE COMPETITION IN MIDFIELD

The Nigerian midfield may possess an array of talent notably Ogenyi Onazi, Wilfred Ndidi and Etebo Oghenekaro but that is not enough in terms of quality and depth for the Super Eagles by all standard.

There is need for more quality players to be integrated with different ideas and playing schemes which will improve the quality and competition within the mix. With Mikel already a strong contender there is also a need to strengthen competition in the Eagles midfield to awake desire and passion to keep places in the National Team. This competition among decent crop of player can only be productive for Nigeria as the best talent are in contention to make it to the starting eleven.

Rabiu Ibrahim in particular John Ogu and Anderson Esiti should not be forgotten due to the emergence of Iwobi and Iheanacho but should be incorporated in the mix to promote healthy competition and strife to retain place in Eagles midfield and to avoid lack of depth when one player is done injured in the treatment room just like Joel Obi who is still finding his feet at the rejuvenated Torino side.

RECALL THE MEMORIES OF JAY-JAY
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/48/6/joseph-yobo-testimonialjpg_ye8syh4rpt9142ugq07pjqzn.jpg?t=-154189268&w=620&h=430[/img]
Austin Okocha at the Joseph Yobo Testimonial in Port Harcourt in May.
[img]https://1.bp..com/-SGUyS8StMvE/Vo1qNkiHjsI/AAAAAAAAAlg/sx-aH0_y8kA/s1600/Rabiu-Ibrahim-640x537.png[/img]
Rabiu Ibrahim ,the talented midfield player who can recapture the deft touches of Jay-Jay for the Eagles

Austin Jay-Jay Okocha have left massive impression in the National Team with flair and eye catching displays. In the recent Joseph Yobo testimonial the talismanic player (Jay-Jay) took center stage even with the pronouncement of the match commentator that the game is looking like Jay-Jay Okocha exhibitions. Many people were tempted to forget who has the order of the day (YOBO) as Okocha showed why he is loved and will be missed until a capable replacement is given its rightly deserve place(Rabiu Ibrahim). Jay-Jay who was so good that they named him twice set up Emenike on both occasion prompting legendary Cameron forward Samuel Eto’o who is on the opposing side to Okocha in the testimonial to signal the substitution of Jay-Jay with fun and delight of the Nigerians fans.

Okocha might have achieve both positive and negative, on the positive he has succeed in showcasing these silky touches of his that the younger generation may not know much about and likewise remind Nigerians (negatively) what they are going to be missing in the Eagles in years to come but the remedy is that Rabiu Ibrahim who is the closest to replacing Okocha has the ability and class to replicate those tiny dribble and nimble footwork which Okocha showcased during his days in the National Team.

With that wonderful performance against Niger in a friendly were Rabiu captured our mind with decent display, there is a real need to get him back into the mix to recall the sweet memories left behind by the Veteran Jay-Jay who is a class of his own.

http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/09/why-rabiu-ibrahim-is-must-for-super.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:24pm On Sep 08, 2016
forgiveness:
But statistics this season shows that Sone Aluko has 2 assist and 1 goal to his credit. He also played all his five matches on the attacking midfield position. Good!

This is what matters.

I advice the coach invites them to camp and select the best of his choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
EA Sports: Enyeama among top 20 players in Ligue 1

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4211495_vincentenyeama_jpeg7a171db071cde95b225df44835ada650
Sports has announced the top 20 players in the Premier League, French Ligue 1, Bundesliga and La Liga, with two players of Nigerian descent making the list.

Former Nigeria skipper Vincent Enyeama has been brilliant since he took over the goalkeeping duties at Lille and was rated among the top 20 players in Ligue 1.

Enyeama was ranked 11th overall with a score of 83 and eight other players were all awarded the same rating.

For his technical attributes, the netminder was awarded 78 points in diving, 80 in handling, 77 in kicking, 90 in reflexes, 50 for his speed while he got a rating of 78 for position.

Elsewhere, Bayern Munich’s Austria international David Alaba, who has Nigerian blood flowing in his veins, made the top 20 Bundesliga players with an overall score of 87.
http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/09/ea-sports-enyeama-among-top-20-players.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:36pm On Sep 08, 2016
[size=14pt]Aluko Makes Championship Team of the Weekend[/size]
http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=458692

After his two goals against South Africa at the Uyo Stadium saved us from an embarrassing defeat, he deserves a chance to prove himself as one of our Creative Attack Midfielders.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2016
Ifeanyi Matthew eyes winning debut with Norwegian club

Ifeanyi Matthew

Ex-Kano Pillars star Ifeanyi Matthew has said he hopes to make a winning debut on Sunday for Lillestrom in the Norwegian league.

He was an unused substitute in the club’s last game at Viking before the international break.

The CHAN Super Eagles midfielder has been granted a work permit and could play his first official game in Norway when Lillestrom host Odds BK in the league.

"It is good to know that I will play for my new club this weekend,” Ifeanyi Matthew said.

“It's a thing of joy and I am ready for the task ahead, I am not under any pressure to deliver. I will just enjoy myself on the field of play and ensure I give my best whenever I am given a chance to play.

"Hopefully, I will crown my debut with all threes point come Sunday."

Lillestrom are 13th on the table with Odd, who parade Nigeria winger Chukwuma Akabueze, second in the standings.
http://africanfootball.com/news/645510/Ifeanyi-Matthew-eyes-winning-debut-with-Norwegian-club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:43pm On Sep 08, 2016
NFF boss Pinnick hits FIFA HQ in Zurich

Amaju Pinnic

AfricanFootball.com can again reveal today that president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Amaju Pinnick has headed to FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland.

It could, however, not be ascertained whether Pinnick’s visit is connected with the forthcoming election to the FIFA council.

Pinnick has not been nominated to contest for the two seats reserved for Africa on the FIFA Council.

The NFF have denied Pinnick sought nomination for the polls.

The elections into the FIFA Council are slated for on September 29 and CAF have announced the seven candidates.

The candidates are Almamy Kabele Camara (Guinea); Suketu Patel (Sychelles); Kwesi Nyantakyi (Ghana); Ahmad (Madagascar); Augustin Senghor (Senegal); Hamidou Djibrilla (Niger) and Chabur Goc Alei (South Sudan).

The seven shortlisted candidates will undergo the FIFA integrity test before their names are finally ratified for the ballot.
http://africanfootball.com/news/645565/NFF-boss-Pinnick-hits-FIFA-HQ-in-Zurich
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:51pm On Sep 08, 2016
Arsenal’s Iwobi resumes training and could return against Southampton

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/a5/dd/alex-iwobi-of-arsenal_fzqilad544bm1hdmtspigsflw.jpg?t=-594203301&w=620&h=430[/img]

By Shina Oludare

Sep 7, 2016 15:43:00

The Nigeria international has begun kicking a ball again after picking up a hip injury against Liverpool and may feature against the Saints on Saturday

Alex Iwobi could be on parade against Southampton in Saturday’s English Premier League encounter having resumed training.

The Nigeria international has been sidelined since injuring his hip in the English topflight opener against Liverpool in August.

Initial reports suggested Iwobi would be out for four weeks, but the fact that he is back on the training pitch is a major boost for Arsene Wenger’s side.

Iwobi tweeted on September 1: “Putting in a shift to get back and ready for the next match.”

He has been working hard in the gym to keep up his fitness, and finally resumed regular training on Tuesday ahead the encounter with Claude Puel’s men.

According to Goal’s Arsenal Correspondent Chris Wheatley, “Iwobi trained today and will be named in the squad for Saturday's game.

“He recovered quicker than expected and worked hard in the gym over the international break.”

Arsenal drew 0-0 at Leicester City before beating Watford 3-1 without the Nigerian to place eighth on the log with four points.

However, the Emirates Stadium giants will be without Aar

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:55pm On Sep 08, 2016
Iheanacho, Iwobi, Two Other Nigerian Wonderkids Included In Top 50 U20 Players In

Four players of Nigerian descent- Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi, Dominic Solanke and Tammy Abraham- have been named among the top 50 players under the age of 20 in Europe.

British newspaper Metro is paying attention to the future of the beautiful game and compiled a list of fifty of the top youngsters.

Nigeria international Iheanacho is number 11 on the list and was ranked higher than Manchester United teenage sensation Marcus Rashford.

“The Nigerian has already shown he has an eye for goal but his all-round game is very impressive too, ’’ George Bellshaw of Metro wrote.

“Often trusted ahead of the experienced Wilfried Bony, City rate Iheanacho very highly and Pep Guardiola will have no reservations about trusting him next season. ’’

Arsenal midfielder Alex Iwobi is rated the 17th best youngster in Europe, and the newspaper highlighted the fact that he was considered ahead of England international Theo Walcott in the second half of last season by manager Arsene Wenger.

“Iwobi made an excellent impact for The Gunners last season and forced himself in front of Theo Walcott in the pecking order.

“After pledging his international future to Nigeria, he could prove to be the one that got away for England in years to come.’’

Chelsea striker Dominic Solanke was ranked 27th while England U20 international Tammy Abraham is in 48th place.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=20370

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:13pm On Sep 08, 2016
In the defence we have a lot of options. I will list the ones I know will improve the team.

Let me start with right back.

1, Nura Abdullahi - Roma - Italy

2, Musa Mohammed- Istanbul - Turkey

3, Moses Odubajo - Hull city - England

4, Tyrone Ebuechi - Ado don agen - Holland

5, Daniel Adejo - Vicenza - Italy

Left backs

1, Elderson Echiejile - Standard Liege - Belgium

2, Stanley Amuzie - Sampdoria - Italy

3, Kingsley Madu - Zulte Waregem - Belgium

4, Nurudeen Orelesi - Skenderbue(Albania Champions) - Albania

5, Juwon Oshaniwa - Hearts - Scotland

Centre backs

1, Leon Balogun - Mainz - Germany( Europa League)

2, Williams Troost-Ekong - Haugesung - Norway

3, Kenneth Otigba - Kamsipasa - Turkey

4, Kenneth Omerue - Alanyaspor - Turkey

5, Brian Idowu - Ampar - Russia

6, Tosin Adarabioyo (if he agrees) - Man city - England (UEFA league)

7, Ola Aina ( if he agrees) - Chelsea - England

8, Chidozie Awaziem - Porto - Portugal

9,Tiago Ilori (if he agrees) - Liverpool - England

You can add yours

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:32pm On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
[b][/b]

This is what matters.

I see!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:34pm On Sep 08, 2016
terzurum5:
NFF boss Pinnick hits FIFA HQ in Zurich

Amaju Pinnic

AfricanFootball.com can again reveal today that president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Amaju Pinnick has headed to FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland.

It could, however, not be ascertained whether Pinnick’s visit is connected with the forthcoming election to the FIFA council.

Pinnick has not been nominated to contest for the two seats reserved for Africa on the FIFA Council.

The NFF have denied Pinnick sought nomination for the polls.

The elections into the FIFA Council are slated for on September 29 and CAF have announced the seven candidates.

The candidates are Almamy Kabele Camara (Guinea); Suketu Patel (Sychelles); Kwesi Nyantakyi (Ghana); Ahmad (Madagascar); Augustin Senghor (Senegal); Hamidou Djibrilla (Niger) and Chabur Goc Alei (South Sudan).

The seven shortlisted candidates will undergo the FIFA integrity test before their names are finally ratified for the ballot.
http://africanfootball.com/news/645565/NFF-boss-Pinnick-hits-FIFA-HQ-in-Zurich

U can't rig fifa na.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 2:35pm On Sep 08, 2016
forgiveness:
In the defence we have a lot of options. I will list the ones I know will improve the team.

Left backs

1, Elderson Echiejile - Standard Liege - Belgium

2, Stanley Amuzie - Sampdoria - Italy

3, Kingsley Madu - Zulte Waregem - Belgium

4, Nurudeen Orelesi - Skenderbue(Albania Champions) - Albania

Why have you not included thegoodjoe's Juwon Oshaniwa?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:44pm On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
[b][/b]

This is what matters.

we can't just invite every Nigerian player to camp. We can barely feed them as it stands. He has to prove he deserves a call and not just with 5 games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:36pm On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Leave sentiments aside the man is one of our best. People call Kanye West a jerk but his music is still good. Olamide is still badoo. His job is not to make u like him but to perform at a high level which they do. I personally like that stuff because it shows he is human.
His time has passed, even the best need to know when to bow out, rather than get chased out.

Jj and Kanu didn't wait for their clubs to ridicule them before they knew it was time to retire, Yaya should respect himself. A legend bows out, he doesn't wait to get thrown out. Character goes a long way in determining how people remember your later years, ask Mike Tyson.

Balotelli's off field antics ruined him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
joseph1013:

grin The guy skip my mind.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2016
joseph1013:

grin I just forget d guy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (16287) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.