Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11859580 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (16248) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:14pm On Sep 07, 2016
edi287:

What is wrong in Pep telling eto how to improve his movement as a striker?? I agree with you to a certain extent that Pep isn't the best man manager around, but that'll come as he gets older. He's still a young coach.
Eto was just being daft imo.
A manager, who decided not to talk to speak to his star striker for a whole year. All of a sudden you meet him up and start chatting about improving his position.
If I was Eto, I would have given him an upper cut.

The player in question, Eto is probably the best striker in the club history. You call yourself a good manager but totally avoided talking to him for a whole season. Xavi was the one talking to Eto not the manager. You call that good management?
Is he the youngest manager in the world? Why haven't we heard stories about Simione, Pochetino acting like a douche bag with their players.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:31pm On Sep 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Don't mind Troost, left o, right o, enter midfield knock, the guy was everywhere. To me the most underated player in the whole olympics.
I tell you. I'm even still shocked that that same Daniel guy was invited by Rohr when Alampasu, fit or no fit can be called to be our new Enyeama.

See the new Gianluigi of Italy. At 17 and he's kept for Italy. By the time he's Buffon's current age, even Van Der Sar and Neuer go twale.

He might no deserve the call up, but I love Italians in that regard, they know what a stretch of time can do.

Not about fit keeper who might flop on that very pitch.

Before January, I hope to see more of Iheanacho's u17 team mates getting call ups.

tired of seeing midfield collapse once Mikel is off. Time for a perfect, or even better replacement now. Musa Yahaya? Nwakali? Igiebor?

Join me laugh as picnic wasnt granted that seat in Fifa. When our best candidate@odegbami was turned down. who is he.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:10am On Sep 08, 2016
Mickael2:

I meant as at 2008/09, Busquets wasn't a great player, he improved massively in 2010/11 so Pep was wrong to kick Yaya out when he did

Even the now almost mythical, spiritual god of the Barca style, Johann Cruyff, said when Busquets was a mere 19 years of age that ‘Positionally, he seems like a veteran with or without the ball. With the ball he makes what is difficult look easy…with the ball he gives us a lesson…he is a gift for any coach’.

You quoted Johan Cruyff words and still make that statement. Read it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:11am On Sep 08, 2016
Mickael2:

so in your opinion, Alaba the midfielder is better than Alaba the fullback?

Alaba became one of the best players in the world working under Guardiola who made him influence the midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:15am On Sep 08, 2016
Mickael2:

exactly. He used to force him to play as a CF which isn't his natural position so he failed there obviously, thats a huge fail on Guardiola's part. Bojan could have done what Fabregas was purchased to do, even better in fact but Pep kicked him out because he just does not like him. That's 40million wasted

You do not know Bojan. That is what your statement shows. Bojan broke Raul's academy records. He always was a striker. Played as a striker for Rijkaard.

So how did you ever think Bojan will play Fabregas role? Guardiola never forced him to play attack. He was a natural striker. Even in the U17 we beat Spain.

Say what you know. How can you say Pep kicked him out because he does not like his. Did you even read what I wrote before? Who would he bench if he stayed? Messi, Pedro, Henry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:21am On Sep 08, 2016
Mickael2:

simple, they aren't africans or they wants us to believe they aren't. He really tried to bench Boateng, he started playing 3 defenders so he wil be exposed more but he is an absolute beast.

Guy leave matter for Matthias.

How can you say someone wants to expose a defender by playing three central defenders? Three central defenders reduces the work load and actually covers weaknesses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:32am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

That is hogwash. Yaya is better than Busquets as a football player. Mancini lately said Yaya is on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo, he is a 4 time Africa player of the year winner, at his best the man can command the midfield and score the game winner. I am shocked that as a Man city fan u would even entertain such toughts, the man made u guys relevent forget Joe Hart and even Aguero, without Yaya u guys have nothing.

Let me say it again.

If you look at Running with the ball, free kicks, shooting from range, Yaya Toure is miles ahead of Busquets and Mikel. That is why I pointed Mikel who received the Slowbi criticism.

When you come to the Tiki Taka, one touch football and positioning strength, Mikel and Busquets are light years ahead of Yaya Toure.

In 2009-2010.
Opta statistics show that only Chelsea's Mikel John Obi has a better pass percentage rate. Of Scholes's 1,497 passes this season, 89.58% have reached their target

Scholes is one of the players used to teach Tiki Taka principles.

When we talk Johann Cruyff, Del Bosque, Guardiola, Tito, Enrique, Valdes, Xavi and Iniesta, we are talking of the people who idolize one touch football.

Running with ball, shooting from far is not the aim of the philosophy and Busquets is ahead of Yaya Toure in this one touch football.

So is Fernandinho, Fernando and Gundogan. That is why Yaya is losing his place at Manchester City.

In another system, Yaya is miles ahead of these players

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:36am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

That is hogwash. Yaya is better than Busquets as a football player. Mancini lately said Yaya is on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo, he is a 4 time Africa player of the year winner, at his best the man can command the midfield and score the game winner. I am shocked that as a Man city fan u would even entertain such toughts, the man made u guys relevent forget Joe Hart and even Aguero, without Yaya u guys have nothing.

We won four games in four without Yaya Toure. I think we are far from nothing without Yaya.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:54am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Let me say it again.

If you look at Running with the ball, free kicks, shooting from range, Yaya Toure is miles ahead of Busquets and Mikel. That is why I pointed Mikel who received the Slowbi criticism.

When you come to the Tiki Taka, one touch football and positioning strength, Mikel and Busquets are light years ahead of Yaya Toure.

In 2009-2010.
Opta statistics show that only Chelsea's Mikel John Obi has a better pass percentage rate. Of Scholes's 1,497 passes this season, 89.58% have reached their target

Scholes is one of the players used to teach Tiki Taka principles.

When we talk Johann Cruyff, Del Bosque, Guardiola, Tito, Enrique, Valdes, Xavi and Iniesta, we are talking of the people who idolize one touch football.

Running with ball, shooting from far is not the aim of the philosophy and Busquets is ahead of Yaya Toure in this one touch football.

So is Fernandinho, Fernando and Gundogan. That is why Yaya is losing his place at Manchester City.

In another system, Yaya is miles ahead of these players

U like to bring up passing stats but u forget about the system the players are in. How do u know that Yaya can't stand in one spot and make passes?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:58am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

We won four games in four without Yaya Toure. I think we are far from nothing without Yaya.

Did u have any titles without Yaya Did u guys matter without Yaya? Yaya is Man city's biggest legend, even if i was from China i would know that talkless of being an African. He made Man City a place that top players want to come. Without Yaya man city is not a team that Pep would coach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:22am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Did u have any titles without Yaya Did u guys matter without Yaya? Yaya is Man city's biggest legend, even if i was from China i would know that talkless of being an African. He made Man City a place that top players want to come. Without Yaya man city is not a team that Pep would coach.
so, what will you say of Aguero? Wetin dey do una and that arrogant Yaya? You no follow read the headache wey he give City? If not for City, who would notice Toure on Barca's bench?

Toure is old, if you can't see that, then na you get issue. He needs to retire, since last season he has been as active as Kanu was at the 2010 WC, if he doesn't have the sense to retire, he should be chased out. Y'all be acting like they don't pay Toure.

Hart was sent off as well, why are the English people not carrying grudge?This is club football and you nee the best, how can United have Pogba in midfield and you guys expect City to keep Toure that even Mikel can boss, in their own midfield

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:24am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

You are talking of another thing. Yaya Toure was key to our success. I have not forgotten his driving run against Manchester United in the FA Cup semi finals that got us the ticket to the Wembley finals. His goal in the final against Stoke City. His Champions League goals for us etc.

Yaya Toure is a Legend in Manchester City and we will never forget him.

His wonderful goal in Pellegrini's first season in the Capital One Cup that won the title. We respect Yaya. No one can replicate what he did.

This is a different era, different coach and a different philosophy. We need players that will fit in seamlessly with the system and create their own records that no one will replicate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:31am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U like to bring up passing stats but u forget about the system the players are in. How do u know that Yaya can't stand in one spot and make passes?

Yaya Toure can play it but other players are better in it. If you look at Scholes, Mikel, Xabi Alonso, Busquets etc. They rely on simple passes to unlock tight midfield. Not power or speed.

You see them pass and move. Pass and move. Yaya can do this but not like them.

Guardiola's system is about simple passes. Yaya Toure is not known for simple passes. Also Guardiola wants players who press the opponents for the ball and Yaya does not do it the way he wants.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:35am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

If you talk City Legends, what about Zabaleta? Who injured repeatedly. Ran up and down the flank constantly.

As it stands, Guardiola might not renew his contract that ends this year. It is hard but that era is passing. Nasri also gave a lot. I remember his beautiful outside foot shot in the Capital one cup finals.

These guys reigned but they will not last forever. Do you think it was easy for Enrique to let Xavi go?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:59am On Sep 08, 2016
safarigirl:
so, what will you say of Aguero? Wetin dey do una and that arrogant Yaya? You no follow read the headache wey he give City? If not for City, who would notice Toure on Barca's bench?

Toure is old, if you can't see that, then na you get issue. He needs to retire, since last season he has been as active as Kanu was at the 2010 WC, if he doesn't have the sense to retire, he should be chased out. Y'all be acting like they don't pay Toure.

Hart was sent off as well, why are the English people not carrying grudge?This is club football and you nee the best, how can United have Pogba in midfield and you guys expect City to keep Toure that even Mikel can boss, in their own midfield

U sef, i was speaking on what he has done for city(past). Nigerians don't ever understand prejudice and bias treatment based on race. How can Man City forget Yaya Toure's birthday? It is just crazy that a man that has done so much for u does not deserve even a card on his birthday. Would chelsea forget Harzard's birthday? So because he is an African he should just take it on the chin and move on, never! What Yaya did will end up helping even Iheanacho, he stood up for what is right. I am sick and tired of our players being less appreciated just because they are African, this man scored 20 goals in one season if he was from France he would be world best. Yaya is still better than Pogba btw. I am not a child i know Yaya doesn't fit into Pep's plans as of now, but he is still a boss player. Inter Millan wanted his this summer but i am sure his salary was the sticking point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:06am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If you talk City Legends, what about Zabaleta? Who injured repeatedly. Ran up and down the flank constantly.

As it stands, Guardiola might not renew his contract that ends this year. It is hard but that era is passing. Nasri also gave a lot. I remember his beautiful outside foot shot in the Capital one cup finals.

These guys reigned but they will not last forever. Do you think it was easy for Enrique to let Xavi go?

Don't change the topic, who is begging that u keep him. All i am saying is give respect. U made Yaya sound average and that is one of the best to ever come out of Africa. U are not Pep so why would i be asking u to keep Yaya. U have never seen Yaya in a holding role so don't imagine that he cannot one touch pass.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:22am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Yaya Toure can play it but other players are better in it. If you look at Scholes, Mikel, Xabi Alonso, Busquets etc. They rely on simple passes to unlock tight midfield. Not power or speed.

You see them pass and move. Pass and move. Yaya can do this but not like them.

Guardiola's system is about simple passes. Yaya Toure is not known for simple passes. Also Guardiola wants players who press the opponents for the ball and Yaya does not do it the way he wants.

U know someone else who used to rely on power and speed? Wayne Rooney but now he is doing it the "Xavi" way. What does that tell u? A player is a player and players can adapt. Look at Rakitic, he plays with "power and speed" but still he is doing a great job at barca. The fact is he could not break into an all spanish midfield in Spain, that does not make him less of a player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:38am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U sef, i was speaking on what he has done for city(past). Nigerians don't ever understand prejudice and bias treatment based on race. How can Man City forget Yaya Toure's birthday? It is just crazy that a man that has done so much for u does not deserve even a card on his birthday. Would chelsea forget Harzard's birthday? So because he is an African he should just take it on the chin and move on, never! What Yaya did will end up helping even Iheanacho, he stood up for what is right. I am sick and tired of our players being less appreciated just because they are African, this man scored 20 goals in one season if he was from France he would be world best. Yaya is still better than Pogba btw. I am not a child i know Yaya doesn't fit into Pep's plans as of now, but he is still a boss player. Inter Millan wanted his this summer but i am sure his salary was the sticking point.
even he sef don tire to dey play, now he's just there for the money.

I personally don't like Yaya Toure and his entitled self, always acting like he was robbed by the world, so if they're dealing with him, i couldn't care less. The man is arrogant and unlikeable, people would support him if he didn't have a history of bytching when things don't go his way. From birthdays to CAF awards, Yaya is a big wailer.

Maybe i would support another African player, but not someone with a history of throwing tantrums

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 9:42am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Alaba became one of the best players in the world working under Guardiola who made him influence the midfield.
so as of 2013 when Bayern won the champions league Alaba was not one of the best players, when he was already Bayern freekicks n Pk taker. Have already told you keep Alaba out of your Guardiola talk cause Alaba was already made and a big player before Guardiola
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:56am On Sep 08, 2016
Isaac Success

Nigerian striker among best young La Liga players of last season

Steve Dede | 20:17 | 07.09.2016

Success scored six goals in 28 La Liga games last season for Granada who finished 16th last season.
Nigerian striker Isaac Success has been named among the best young players in the La Liga last season.
Success scored six goals in 28 La Liga games last season for Granada who finished 16th last season.

According to just-football.com, Success’ impressive performance last season earned him a place in the top 10 young players’list.
Success was rated 8/10 to join the likes of Inaki Williams of Athletic Bilbao, Jose Gimenez of Atletico Madrid, Sevilla's Sergio Rico and Dani Ceballos of Real Betis in the list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:09am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U know someone else who used to rely on power and speed? Wayne Rooney but now he is doing it the "Xavi" way. What does that tell u? A player is a player and players can adapt. Look at Rakitic, he plays with "power and speed" but still he is doing a great job at barca. The fact is he could not break into an all spanish midfield in Spain, that does not make him less of a player.

When Rooney plays as a deep-lying playmaker, he would not rely on speed. When Yaya plays as a deep-lying he will not rely on his power and speed but he loses what makes him electric. That is not where his strength lies.

When it comes to that kind of play, the likes of Busquets, Fernandinho and Mikel outplay him there.

That is the point. Yaya Toure is not among the best midfielders in Manchester City when it comes to one touch football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:10am On Sep 08, 2016
If Rohr’s Complaint On Uyo Stadium Can Bring About Change?

Written by Amos Joseph / on September 7, 2016

Recently appointed technical adviser of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr has complained about the playing turf of the Akwa Ibom International Stadium, and called for some to be done to ensure the pitch is in good condition ahead of Russia 2018 qualifiers.

Apparently the team struggled in their match against the Taifa stars on Saturday due to the poor state of the pitch and the coach believes the Eagles would express themselves better on a good ground.

It can be shocking to discover that there are no good natural playing turf in the stadiums in Nigeria despite the number of beautiful structures the nation can boast of. The situation is like trying to get water from a rock which is strange but a true state of all the stadiums across the country as the football federation often finds it difficult to select a stadium to host the national team games especially the Super Eagles.
”There’s need to work on the stadium grass before the World Cup home game in November,” Rohr said in a post-match conference after the match against Tanzania which saw the teams struggle to clinch a 1-0 victory over the visitors.

”The stadium is wonderful. It was full for the game. The people love the team and they supported them but the pitch is not so good. We tried to play well on a bad pitch.”Niger

It should be noted that the ”Nest of Champions” as the stadium is fondly called was constructed just two years ago by Gorvernor Godswill Akpabio’s administration, modeled after the Allianz Arena (Bayern Munich stadium in Germany) and we are already complaining.

There is no need to ask what has gone wrong within the space of two years, one can as well probe the maintenance of the Abuja National stadium, National Stadium Lagos and the Ahamdu Bello Stadium in Kaduna to mention a few with natural grass turf. If the Akwa Ibom State government is indeed serious about hosting the Eagles again, then work must begin on the pitch to put it in good state prior to the World Cup qualification campaign.

Dear Sports ministry, there is work to be done!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:16am On Sep 08, 2016
Why Eagles Are Angry With Akwa Ibom’s N10m Gift

Super Eagles players have expressed distaste at the Akwa Ibom State government for the N10 million they were given for beating Tanzania in an AFCON qualifier match in Saturday. The players, who had thought the money was for their victory, were shocked when it was converted to pay for their camp allowances. The players were also not paid their winning bonus for the game. Overseas players were, however, promised their return flight ticket refunds. Reports say the Nigria Football Federation had told the governor, Emmanuel Odom, to say the money had given them was for their camp allowances.

“I can tell you that the players did not find this funny. They expected that the Governor’s cash gift will not have anything to do with their camp allowances, which is $200-a-man a day,” a team source told Vanguard.

“The NFF need to live up to their responsibilities rather than continue to depend on handouts.”

The team beat Tanzania 1-0 at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium courtesy of a Kelechi Iheanacho strike. Newly appointed manager Gernot Rohr had looked destined to start huis reign as Super Eagles boss with a barren draw before the Manchester City youngster struck late on in the match.

By Adebayo Williams
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:23am On Sep 08, 2016
What do u guys think?
Rohr to Bring Back Enyeama to Super Eagles

Former Super Eagles captain, Vincent Enyeama, may return to the team if the ongoing discussion with the new coach of the team, Gernot Rohr, is fruitful.

Super Eagles Coach and tactician, Rohr, confirmed on Thursday that he was in close touch with former captain of the team, Enyeama with a view to bring him back into the team.

Rohr, who bared his mind at a press briefing in Uyo, said he has known the former Eagles Captain during his sojourn in Africa and he had called Enyeama twice since taking over as Eagles handler.

Enyeama threw in the towel and voluntarily retired from the Super Eagles last year although in controversial circumstances after a clash with ter former Eagles handler, Sunday Oliseh.

“I have personally called him and I think we will need him after this weekend’s match. I am working to have all our players available for subsequent matches,” Rohr declared.

According to the Super Eagles coach, he is favourably disposed towards giving all Nigerian players the opportunity to showcase themselves and bring football glory to the country.

Under his tenure as the Eagles coach, Rohr said he would ensure good team ethics, organisation and discipline.

He expressed satisfaction with the performance of the local players at the last invitational tourney in Spain, saying that he has already pencilled down two of them for the Eagles.

The German coach said although he has indicated interest to live in Nigeria, that would not preclude him monitoring the performance of Nigerian players within and outside the country.

He said, “I am ready to live in Nigeria but they are yet to get a house for me.”

Rohr, who would not guarantee Eagles’ qualification for Russia 2018, said it could be achieved with hard work and commitment from all stakeholders.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:25am On Sep 08, 2016
zicky:
so as of 2013 when Bayern won the champions league Alaba was not one of the best players, when he was already Bayern freekicks n Pk taker. Have already told you keep Alaba out of your Guardiola talk cause Alaba was already made and a big player before Guardiola

If you look at Alaba's individual honors, you will understand the leap in quality under Guardiola. He gained notice for his versatility in play.

Individual Honors Of Alaba From Wiki:

Individual Edit
Austrian Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Austrian Sports Personality of the Year: 2013, 2014
UEFA Team of the Year: 2013, 2014, 2015
UEFA Champions League Team of the Group Stage: 2015
ESM Team of the Year: 2014
France Football World XI: 2015
Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2015–16

Alaba was one of the best left backs but Under Guardiola, he became one of the best players in the world.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2016
zicky:

"His training sessions are incredible workouts," Alaba told BT Sport. "He has reinvented football.

"Pep is someone who thinks about football 24 hours a day.

"With him, we have played better and better every year.

"I never knew that I could play in so many positions as well."

I guess you know more than Alaba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Don't change the topic, who is begging that u keep him. All i am saying is give respect. U made Yaya sound average and that is one of the best to ever come out of Africa. U are not Pep so why would i be asking u to keep Yaya. U have never seen Yaya in a holding role so don't imagine that he cannot one touch pass.

People like you just say things you do not know.

Let me tell you where I first saw Yaya in a holding role. Nigeria vs Cote I'voire that we lost 1-0 to a Drogba goal. The goal cane from a long ball from Yaya Toure. Mikel was young then. Not long after 2005 WYC.

I have watched Yaya play the holding role severally, including when Fernandinho was injured. He played there in some games for Barca.

So how can you say I have never seen Yaya play the holing role.

Concerning your change the topic talk. I have maintained the same point from the first time you raised Yaya vs Busquets talk.

I said, in the TIKI TAKA style Busquets is better. Where did you get that I made Yaya look average?

If I say Pirlo is a better deep-lying playmaker than Xavi, am I making Xavi look average?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:46am On Sep 08, 2016
Odion Ighalo Discusses The Differences Between Sunday Oliseh And Gernot Rohr -

The Watford hitman says he wishes to have the Vincent Enyeama back with the Super Eagles The striker is comfortable playing for any of the coaches as far as he get the goals for them Ighalo made his Super Eagles debut in 2015 and has gone on to make eleven appearances Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo has spoken on the differences in approach to coaching between Sunday Oliseh and Gernot Rohr. Odion Ighalo playing for the national team Gernot Rohr was appointed permanent Super Eagles technical adviser following the resignation of former coach Sunday Oliseh in late February. The likes of Samson Siasia and Salisu Yusuf filled the post on an interim basis with varying forms of success. Ighalo admitted that Rohr and Oliseh are similar in many way but different in other like the formations they play; Rohr with a 4 – 3 – 3 while Oliseh favoured a 4 – 2 – 3 – 1.
Speaking to Naijaloaded, Ighalo said:- “I don’t think i can choose between both of them, they are both good coaches. I am a professional player, I can play for any coach. “You know when you are doing well every coach will love you but when your not, the same people will be at your back. “So for me whether its the Super Eagles or my club side i’m a professional player and i’m ready to work with whoever’ I’m not going to say i prefer this coach more than this. “I will never say i want this coach or that coach, like i said every coach has their own pattern, i’m professional i just have to abide by the rules and play my part as a player.” Ighalo also admitted that he would love to see the retired Vincent Enyeama back with the Super Eagles despite the fine form of the man who took over from him Carl Ikeme. “Enyeama is a big name in Nigerian football, off course every one misses him. “Not only how he handles himself on the pitch but off the pitch as well he’s a role model. Who wouldn’t want Enyeama to play with him? “I want him back, we want him back’ he asked. He is someone i look up to because he’s a very good guy, i just wish him the very best.” - See more at: http://www..ng/2016/09/07/odion-ighalo-discusses-differences-sunday-oliseh-gernot-rohr/#sthash.88tr2xJt.dpuf
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:04am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

People like you just say things you do not know.

Let me tell you where I first saw Yaya in a holding role. Nigeria vs Cote I'voire that we lost 1-0 to a Drogba goal. The goal cane from a long ball from Yaya Toure. Mikel was young then. Not long after 2005 WYC.

I have watched Yaya play the holding role severally, including when Fernandinho was injured. He played there in some games for Barca.

So how can you say I have never seen Yaya play the holing role.

Concerning your change the topic talk. I have maintained the same point from the first time you raised Yaya vs Busquets talk.

I said, in the TIKI TAKA style Busquets is better. Where did you get that I made Yaya look average?

If I say Pirlo is a better deep-lying playmaker than Xavi, am I making Xavi look average?

I repeat u have never seen him in a holding role because if u have all this wouldn't be necessary. Just last year Yaya had 86% passing accuracy and that was as a box to box player. Now imagine him being told to stand one place and pass the ball. Go check his stats at barca as a cb.One of his biggest strengths is passing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:12am On Sep 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If you look at Alaba's individual honors, you will understand the leap in quality under Guardiola. He gained notice for his versatility in play.

Individual Honors Of Alaba From Wiki:

Individual Edit
Austrian Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Austrian Sports Personality of the Year: 2013, 2014
UEFA Team of the Year: 2013, 2014, 2015
UEFA Champions League Team of the Group Stage: 2015
ESM Team of the Year: 2014
France Football World XI: 2015
Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2015–16

Alaba was one of the best left backs but Under Guardiola, he became one of the best players in the world.
Alaba nothing than his normal self under Guardiola, Alaba came into the team as a young lad, as he get mature you could see his improvement for club n country.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:13am On Sep 08, 2016
safarigirl:
even he sef don tire to dey play, now he's just there for the money.

I personally don't like Yaya Toure and his entitled self, always acting like he was robbed by the world, so if they're dealing with him, i couldn't care less. The man is arrogant and unlikeable, people would support him if he didn't have a history of bytching when things don't go his way. From birthdays to CAF awards, Yaya is a big wailer.

Maybe i would support another African player, but not someone with a history of throwing tantrums

Leave sentiments aside the man is one of our best. People call Kanye West a jerk but his music is still good. Olamide is still badoo. His job is not to make u like him but to perform at a high level which they do. I personally like that stuff because it shows he is human.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:21am On Sep 08, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I repeat u have never seen him in a holding role because if u have all this wouldn't be necessary. Just last year Yaya had 86% passing accuracy and that was as a box to box player. Now imagine him being told to stand one place and pass the ball. Go check his stats at barca as a cb.One of his biggest strengths is passing.

You highlighted he is a good ball passer. Are you saying he is a better ball passer than Busquets? That is short passes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (16248) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zuchyblink(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.