Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,481 members, 7,857,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 02:18 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (539) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11912383 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) (542) ... (16322) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 1:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:
Just because Mikel has less competition in the national team don't make him world class. I don't know your standard.. but these term is relative to me.. firstly I won't be making comparisons to other African players. Because we don't have a lot I can place in that category at the moment. If I mention Aubemeyang, someone will want to shoot my head and say he is a striker. Mikel cannot even be ranked among the top 10 midfiedlers in the world at the moment.. it's okay to be patriotic.. i don't dislike mikel.. but no self proclaimed soccer guru here will convince me to put him in that world class category.. sorry.. maybe write nairaland owner to kick me out of here since you guys own this place..haha

Chief, relax! No need to ask anyone to kick you out. People disagree here all the time. Don't take it personal. Don't be surprised if a lot of people support you when you get into the next argument. That's the way this place is.

Keep your head up.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:
Just because Mikel has less competition in the national team don't make him world class. I don't know your standard.. but these term is relative to me.. firstly I won't be making comparisons to other African players. Because we don't have a lot I can place in that category at the moment. If I mention Aubemeyang, someone will want to shoot my head and say he is a striker. Mikel cannot even be ranked among the top 10 midfiedlers in the world at the moment.. it's okay to be patriotic.. i don't dislike mikel.. but no self proclaimed soccer guru here will convince me to put him in that world class category.. sorry.. maybe write nairaland owner to kick me out of here since you guys own this place..haha

Mind you, nowhere do we say he is among the top ten midfielders in the world. We are affirming that he is world class!!! Which is what you seem to have a problem with.

Opta stats disagrees Strongly with you......1

His passes aimed at not losing possession is still one of the top 3 best in the EPL.(Not even almighty Ozil, yes I'm a gunner, have a chance at this)

He fills in for Terry when Terry goes goal hungry. Conte didn't want to have such from a midfielder, so we saw the temperature of the bench increasing for Mikel.

Against Bayern, that final, his passes were either 3rd or 4th touch before a goal attempt. Bayern's middle had to foul him to disposses him.

I never liked Mikel when he wasn't replicating his form in the national team years back. But the Afcon win changed all that.

Then his game play at the Olympics..... Obviously you don't see that.

Watched him play against Algeria?

Onazi covered his back but we knew his moves were world class.

We don't hate here, if you have a good point, buttress it well with Facts

His time may be up, but he's not out.

Obviously Ezekiel Bassey is termed world class cos Barca took him ba? Even if we don't agree yet.

Man u and Chelsea fought for this guy's siggy.....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:33pm On Feb 08, 2017
you can tell i'm not even taking this too serious.
glad to meet you all here!

joseph1013:

Chief, relax! No need to ask anyone to kick you out. People disagree here all the time. Don't take it personal. Don't be surprised if a lot of people support you when you get into the next argument. That's the way this place is.

Keep your head up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
Okay maybe we have a different definition of World Class.
there is no one definition, as it is subjective. I think that's the reason for all this confusion.
I don't have to comment to your every point.. but let me add here.. As for the Algeria game Etebo impressed me most.
He did a lot defensively, which was uncharacteristic of him

daveP:
Mind you, nowhere do we say he is among the top ten midfielders in the world. We are affirming that he is world class!!! Which is what you seem to have a problem with.

Opta stats disagrees Strongly with you......1

His passes aimed at not losing possession is still one the top 3 best in the EPL.(Not even almighty Ozil, yes I'm a gunner, have a chance at this)

He fills in for Terry when Terry goes goal hungry. Conte didn't want to have such from a midfielder, so we saw the temperature of the bench increasing for Mikel.

Against Bayern, that final, his passes were either 3rd or 4th touch before a goal attempt. Bayern's middle had to foul him to disposses him.

I never liked Mikel when he wasn't replicating his form in the national team years back. But the Afcon win changed all that.

Then his game play at the Olympics..... Obviously you don't see that.

Watched him play against Algeria?

Onazi covered his back but we knew his moves were world class.

We don't hate here, if you have a good point, buttress it well with Facts

His time may be up, but he's not out.

Obviously Ezekwem basses I termed world class cos Barca took him ba? Even if we don't agree yet.

Man u and Chelsea fought for this guy's siggy.....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:39pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:
there is no one definition, as it is subjective. I think that's the reason for all this confusion.
I don't have to comment to your every point.. but let me add here.. As for the Algeria game Etebo impressed me most.

Ok

Give me 5 names of African Footballers who you think are world class and have good experience in ucl, EPL, and world cup in a trio.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
I can't think of any player that is world class if you want to talk about those that have been around for a long time.
Yaya Toure - arguably. But that's how behind Africa is in Football. Potential-wise I see Nigeria doing great things than we have ever done. I am hopeful about Nigeria U17 2013/2015 classed and other young players springing up. Our golden generation is yet to come. Then we can compare top quality vs top quality. Mikel has little competition at the moment.

For now Aubameyang is the only player I can put up there.
But he is still new relatively compared to players that have been there. And still has to prove it consistency-wise

Oh that reminds me. Eto'o is purely world class

daveP:

Ok

Give me 5 names of African Footballers who you think are world class and have good experience in ucl, EPL, and world cup in a trio.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:

You don't feel Mikel ba

Is it similar to the way Arsenal fans do to Ozil?

Does it make Ozil local class?

Or suarez with his tunnel, vampire attitude?

Yeah it's subjective, but in the world of sport, he belongs to a set that have conquered Europe and African and mathematically speaking= World class

I believe you can digress a lil from Mikel, lets see what you think of other players.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2017
I found this post. I think it will be better we make our arguments from here.. because everyone has a different definition of world class.
For me I put Mikel in Class 3.. BUT MANY OF YOU WILL PUT HIM IN CLASS 1. That the problem here.

Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Jarus(m): 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2008
My analysis:
The word 'world class' as it is used by informed football analysts is very hard to define but I will attempt to categorise the usage into three:

CLASS 1 WORLD CLASS: Incontrovertibly,unarguably accepted by every informed analyst
CLASS 2 WORLD CLASS: Almost glaring that they are world class but we will find few respected analysts that will disagree, with reasonable argument
CLASS 3 WORLD CLASS Coaches and other analysts often call some players world class,although recklessly at times. Players respected coaches and/or analysts call world class but which many people will disagree fall under this category.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
hi joebie well come to the house hope you would drop by often to help make this thread more lively and informative. read your views during the mikel debate i share your views about mikel's place in the scheme of things world football wise but no doubt as far as nigerian football is concerned he's an absolute legend. if in his early years he had played under a coach who would have groomed him properly i have no doubts he would have turned into a world class CM but instead he jammed mourinho who didn't have the time and patience to work on him turning mikel into an above average DM.

Congrats to Cameroon they lived up to their name indomitable happy they won because all our eyes don clear say we are facing formidable opponents. i'm quietly confident that we will get something positive out of our 2 matches against cameroon. rohr's attitude and comments so far regarding the lions shows he appreciates the task at hand. yes 5 months is a long time for cameroon to lose their team cohesion but the confeds will still help them gel further so we have to prepare and get ready like we are facing world champions. that approach saw us through against algeria and will God willing see us overcome the cameroonians.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enigmaticmotik(m): 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:

Was it lack of competition that made him to last that long in Chelsea When players like Ballack was begging for his wages to be cut to remain in Chelsea undecided Look at the caliber of players he has displaced in the team Makalele, Essien, Diara, Ballack and even other promising talents grin grin grin Benitez that was a big critic of Mikel during his Liverpool days, benched Mikel when he first came, but immediately he used him and say how technical the guy was... End of story. Remember when Benitez left for Napoli, Mikel was the first player he tried to recruit.

Try watching that game against Spain in the confederations cup (better still, watch the highlight on YouTube). Mikel is a legend, midfield maestro and a great footballer which can make him stand tall among his peers. World class of the highest order unreservedly..,

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
Confed Cup performance I've never disputed that.

Yes he did enjoy first team appearance for Chelsea.. at the same time he played second fiddle to other midfielders.
when a player has no intention of leaving a club even when he is benched continually shows he rather stays in his comfort zone.
Word Class players don't do that. if they are not playing, you are bruising their ego. They will opt for a coach/team who would appreciate them better.
I'm happy Conte was adamant and made him move. Mikel's move had been long overdue.. he never took chances to increase his value.
Now let's see how he succeeds in doing that finishing his career in China. if he is that world class he should have upped his value.

enigmaticmotik:

Was it lack of competition that made him to last that long in Chelsea When players like Ballack was begging for his wages to be cut to remain in Chelsea undecided Look at the caliber of players he has displaced in the team Makalele, Essien, Diara, Ballack and even other promising talents grin grin grin Benitez that was a big critic of Mikel during his Liverpool days, benched Mikel when he first came, but immediately he used him and say how technical the guy was... End of story. Remember when Benitez left for Napoli, Mikel was the first player he tried to recruit.

Try watching that game against Spain in the confederations cup (better still, watch the highlight on YouTube). Mikel is a legend, midfield maestro and a great footballer which can make him stand tall among his peers. World class of the highest order unreservedly..,

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2017
Thanks bro!

very well said about Rohr. Should we qualify he takes most of the credits.
Nigeria has never taking world cup qualification this serious in a long time.. we always leave it late.
We will qualify before the final two matches with Rohr's attitude. Cameroon does have the advantage speaking about building a cohesive team. You don't get a cohesive team without playing matches. I saw people comparing cameroon players and nigerian players here based on quality.. those arguments makes no sense to me.. quality team wins matches. Ivory Coast and Senegal did not win the AFCON. Portugal won the Euro 2016. Teams win. if you have quality players, they have to play as a team.

chrisooblog:
hi joebie well come to the house hope you would drop by often to help make this thread more lively and informative. read your views during the mikel debate i share your views about mikel's place in the scheme of things world football wise but no doubt as far as nigerian football is concerned he's an absolute legend. if in his early years he had played under a coach who would have groomed him properly i have no doubts he would have turned into a world class CM but instead he jammed mourinho who didn't have the time and patience to work on him turning mikel into an above average DM.

Congrats to Cameroon they lived up to their name indomitable happy they won because all our eyes don clear say we are facing formidable opponents. i'm quietly confident that we will get something positive out of our 2 matches against cameroon. rohr's attitude and comments so far regarding the lions shows he appreciates the task at hand. yes 5 months is a long time for cameroon to lose their team cohesion but the confeds will still help them gel further so we have to prepare and get ready like we are facing world champions. that approach saw us through against algeria and will God willing see us overcome the cameroonians.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:

Yes he did enjoy first team appearance for Chelsea.. at the same time he played second fiddle to other midfielders.
when a player has no intention of leaving a club even when he is benched continually shows he rather stays in his comfort zone.
Word Class players don't do that. if they are not playing, you are bruising their ego. They will opt for a coach/team who would appreciate them better.
I'm happy Conte was adamant and made him move. Mikel's move had been long overdue.. he never took chances to increase his value.
Now let's see how he succeeds in doing that finishing his career in China. if he is that world class he should have upped his value.

Are you kidding me?

Mikel was a REGULAR for most of his time at stamford bridge. He had spells when he sat on the bench but he was a super regular under most coaches at the bridge. Please check his appearance stats. You do not have almost 300 caps in 10 years if you were not a regular.

And the truth is that, he never stood a chance with Conte after opting to go for the Olympics in the middle of preseason.

Oscar also went to China. Mikel has won everything in club football and wants to make money. Valencia and OM were also interested in his signature.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:
I can't think of any player that is world class if you want to talk about those that have been around for a long time.
Yaya Toure - arguably. But that's how behind Africa is in Football. Potential-wise I see Nigeria doing great things than we have ever done. I am hopeful about Nigeria U17 2013/2015 classed and other young players springing up. Our golden generation is yet to come. Then we can compare top quality vs top quality. Mikel has little competition at the moment.

For now Aubameyang is the only player I can put up there.
But he is still new relatively compared to players that have been there. And still has to prove it consistency-wise

Oh that reminds me. Eto'o is purely world class

I'm glad you admit to the experience of Mikel which as you say is unrivalled at the moment that none of the raves of the moment can even shut him out of the team for now. Good!

Now if he isn't world class as you say, and he is still at the top of the ladder, standard till now, then doesn't that mean those under him; other SE Footballers are simply mediocres? Well

As for the other names mentioned, they didn't conquer England at the same time UCL while they were around. Emphasis on EPL and UCL.

7 coaches come and go and still use you in their style of play(Conte's kwanta with Mikel going to Olympics), to me that's legendary and world class.

He might be shadows often times, but undoubtedly, he is world class.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:

Guy are u a world class player to know what they do or don't do?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:05pm On Feb 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Guy are u a world class player to know what they do or don't do?
lol take am easy. E never enter this leful grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:01pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:
Thanks bro!

very well said about Rohr. Should we qualify he takes most of the credits.
Nigeria has never taking world cup qualification this serious in a long time.. we always leave it late.
We will qualify before the final two matches with Rohr's attitude. Cameroon does have the advantage speaking about building a cohesive team. You don't get a cohesive team without playing matches. I saw people comparing cameroon players and nigerian players here based on quality.. those arguments makes no sense to me.. quality team wins matches. Ivory Coast and Senegal did not win the AFCON. Portugal won the Euro 2016. Teams win. if you have quality players, they have to play as a team.

Quality teams win matches but Indvidual ratings is used to weigh the strength of the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:23pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:

Mikel did not play second fiddle. Do not get that wrong. Makalele came to Chelsea and showed Florentino Perez he was wrong looking down on him. He played the defensive midfield role to an artistic level the role got named after him. THE MAKALELE ROLE.

"He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres,"...Florentino Perez (Real Madrid President)

"Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?"...Zinedine Zidane

Mikel was a player who understudied Makalele and soaked in the great lessons of the defensive midfield genius. That was why, despite repeated changes in Chelsea, they could not find a shield like Mikel. It just has to end up with Mikel. With several of midfielders coming into Chelsea. Great names, there was no one who could do it like him.

Just like Florentino Perez, a lot do not see how important Mikel was during the dominant reign of Chelsea but just like Makalele, he was the team was the engine of their success. He was the engine of that team.

Ed Dove of Bleacherreport wrote, "While Nigeria fans are naturally delighted at the elegant influence Mikel has had in the middle of the park over the last year of sport, joy is tinged with regret when remembering the delirious talent stolen by English football."

Mikel has the ability of becoming a celebrated gem in the game but he chose a role of importance to winning. His conservative and humble role ensured the team kept on winning. Others like Lampard and Ballack got the glory but Mikel made sure they won. People who think like Florentino Perez will come out tomorrow and say he is not World Class or Top Quality. Those who think like Zidane will understand the great sacrifice Mikel made for the Chelsea flag to fly high. It was not about his name but the team. That is truly a World Class player who laid it all for his team.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:14pm On Feb 08, 2017
So there are reports in Spain that Kelechi will be offloaded by mancity in the summer. Apparently, he does not fit into PEP's plans. Cc: Thegoodjoe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:33pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:
So there are reports in Spain that Kelechi will be offloaded by mancity in the summer. Apparently, he does not fit into PEP's plans. Cc: Thegoodjoe

The news is not straight. First of all, if City and Stellar Group reached an agreement for City to leave, then I think that can explain why he is not playing. Maybe the Pere Guardiola news is true.

Stellar Group value Iheanacho and they believe the can net a bigger deal for Iheanacho. I doubt it is about Iheanacho not fitting in. If it was, Guardiola would have played Nolito up front more times than Nacho. Nolito can also lead the line but Iheanacho was the preferred choice. Remember, Nolito is La Masia trained and a former Barcelona player. Trained in the academy with Guardiola. Worked with Luis Enrique at Barca B and Celta Vigo. Despite Nolito's grounding, Guardiola chose Iheanacho to lead the line and kept Nolito on the bench.

I think Stellar Group have their plans for Nacho and they have an offer for him.

Note, this is what I think is going on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The news is not straight. First of all, if City and Stellar Group reached an agreement for City to leave, then I think that can explain why he is not playing. Maybe the Pere Guardiola news is true.

Stellar Group value Iheanacho and they believe the can net a bigger deal for Iheanacho. I doubt it is about Iheanacho not fitting in. If it was, Guardiola would have played Nolito up front more times than Nacho. Nolito can also lead the line but Iheanacho was the preferred choice. Remember, Nolito is La Masia trained and a former Barcelona player. Trained in the academy with Guardiola. Worked with Luis Enrique at Barca B and Celta Vigo. Despite Nolito's grounding, Guardiola chose Iheanacho to lead the line and kept Nolito on the bench.

I think Stellar Group have their plans for Nacho and they have an offer for him.

Note, this is what I think is going on.

Pep does not value KI

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Pep does not value KI

I took time to give you my reason why I disagree with that opinion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Pep does not value KI

Guardiola benched Nolito for Iheanacho. Even once, is enough to show Guardiola values Iheanacho. You can say he rates Gabriel Jesus more but that he does not value Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:26pm On Feb 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Guardiola benched Nolito for Iheanacho. Even once, is enough to show Guardiola values Iheanacho. You can say he rates Gabriel Jesus more but that he does not value Iheanacho.

Even before Jesus, Kelechi could not get a game. Even when Aguero was out. It has been clear for a long time that Kelechi was not valued. I am not surprised that there is talk about offloading him.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 10:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

He doesn't value Iheanacho he just wanted to fulfill all righteousness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
cc12:

He doesn't value Iheanacho he just wanted to fulfill all righteousness

Fulfill which righteousness by benching Nolito who had a wonderful season with Celta Vigo, attracted Barcelona and had a good Euro performance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Even before Jesus, Kelechi could not get a game. Even when Aguero was out. It has been clear for a long time that Kelechi was not valued. I am not surprised that there is talk about offloading him.

Seriously? Kelechi Iheanacho could not get a game? Kelechi Iheanacho started five EPL games and a Champions League game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:40pm On Feb 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Seriously? Kelechi Iheanacho could not get a game? Kelechi Iheanacho started five EPL games and a Champions League game.

Is that why Sterling was starting as CF when Kelechi was fit.. anyway, good thing they want to sell him. Hopefully, he gets a manager that believes in him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:42pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oooohhhhhh..... Bravo Sir....

TheGoodJoe:

Mikel did not play second fiddle. Do not get that wrong. Makalele came to Chelsea and showed Florentino Perez he was wrong looking down on him. He played the defensive midfield role to an artistic level the role got named after him. THE MAKALELE ROLE.

"He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres,"...Florentino Perez (Real Madrid President)

"Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?"...Zinedine Zidane

Mikel was a player who understudied Makalele and soaked in the great lessons of the defensive midfield genius. That was why, despite repeated changes in Chelsea, they could not find a shield like Mikel. It just has to end up with Mikel. With several of midfielders coming into Chelsea. Great names, there was no one who could do it like him.

Just like Florentino Perez, a lot do not see how important Mikel was during the dominant reign of Chelsea but just like Makalele, he was the team was the engine of their success. He was the engine of that team.

Ed Dove of Bleacherreport wrote, "While Nigeria fans are naturally delighted at the elegant influence Mikel has had in the middle of the park over the last year of sport, joy is tinged with regret when remembering the delirious talent stolen by English football."

Mikel has the ability of becoming a celebrated gem in the game but he chose a role of importance to winning. His conservative and humble role ensured the team kept on winning. Others like Lampard and Ballack got the glory but Mikel made sure they won. People who think like Florentino Perez will come out tomorrow and say he is not World Class or Top Quality. Those who think like Zidane will understand the great sacrifice Mikel made for the Chelsea flag to fly high. It was not about his name but the team. That is truly a World Class player who laid it all for his team.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Is that why Sterling was starting as CF when Kelechi was fit.. anyway, good thing they want to sell him. Hopefully, he gets a manager that believes in him.

Is Sterling starting as a Center forward proof Iheanacho did not get a game?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Is Sterling starting as a Center forward proof Iheanacho did not get a game?

It is proof that the manager does not rate him..

(1) (2) (3) ... (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) (542) ... (16322) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.