Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,491 members, 7,850,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:53 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (540) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11867008 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) (542) (543) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 10:48pm On Feb 08, 2017
AND Indidi scores ! another motm today i guess

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

It is proof that the manager does not rate him..

So why did Sterling not start more games up front than Nacho. We have Navas who can cover the right wing. Kevin De Bruyne can cover the left with Gundogan and Silva in the middle.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:57pm On Feb 08, 2017
lexyman:
*Ndidi*
good for him.
Make Onazi watch his back. This guy might soon displace onazi from his starting role.
Hope Rohr is watching.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
Chaiiii... Sir Basco ehn... grin

BascoVanVeli:

Guy are u a world class player to know what they do or don't do?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03pm On Feb 08, 2017
10 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

Mahrez forward pass to N'didi in the middle of the pitch, 30 yards out. Two defenders attempt to close him down. From about 20 yards out, N'didi hits a screamer that bounces in off the right post. Keeper got a bare touch to it, but the shot had too much power.

Beautiful goal!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 11:11pm On Feb 08, 2017
Joebie:
Okay maybe we have a different definition of World Class.
there is no one definition, as it is subjective. I think that's the reason for all this confusion.
I don't have to comment to your every point.. but let me add here.. As for the Algeria game Etebo impressed me most.
He did a lot defensively, which was uncharacteristic of him

you should have told us all along that u don't know the meaning of ''world class'', or that u have ur own customized divination of world class , that would have saved us a lot time trying to lecture u. Did u actually said somewhere that our golden generation hasn't come. Kontinu

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:11pm On Feb 08, 2017
From the comments of the Leicester City fans, Gray is the man of the match and he just scored. Another bright young man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 11:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
lexyman:
another potential world class player,though some folks here will try to argue it.

Super eagles presently have 2 world class players and 3 or 4 potential world class players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 11:47pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Is that why Sterling was starting as CF when Kelechi was fit.. anyway, good thing they want to sell him. Hopefully, he gets a manager that believes in him.

guy plz tell me he many matches sterling started as a CF. guardiola decision 2 start sterling as a CF against barca was tactical bcuz he wanted 2 dominate d midfield by playing more midfielders. even aguero was on d bench

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 11:48pm On Feb 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Is that why Sterling was starting as CF when Kelechi was fit.. anyway, good thing they want to sell him. Hopefully, he gets a manager that believes in him.

guy plz tell me hw many matches sterling started as a CF. guardiola decision 2 start sterling as a CF against barca was tactical bcuz he wanted 2 dominate d midfield by playing more midfielders. even aguero was on d bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:55pm On Feb 08, 2017
Chaaiiiii.... Another powerhouse, Ogenyi Onazi right now....

[img]http://2.bp..com/-sZmImhUzkXM/T_A_jbBGPlI/AAAAAAAAAa0/ZFf47oX7N2g/s1600/Thinking-man-drawing.gif[/img]

The competition for places in the Super Eagles is Hot!!!

TheGoodJoe:
10 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

Mahrez forward pass to N'didi in the middle of the pitch, 30 yards out. Two defenders attempt to close him down. From about 20 yards out, N'didi hits a screamer that bounces in off the right post. Keeper got a bare touch to it, but the shot had too much power.

Beautiful goal!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:56pm On Feb 08, 2017
peterd53:

guy plz tell me hw many matches sterling started as a CF. guardiola decision 2 start sterling as a CF against barca was tactical bcuz he wanted 2 dominate d midfield by playing more midfielders. even aguero was on d bench

Aguero was suspended.. No way sterling will start ahead of Aguero.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:57pm On Feb 08, 2017
It was KDB who played false 9 against Barca in that 4-0 loss NOT sterling.

peterd53:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:43am On Feb 09, 2017
Napoleon55:
another potential world class player,though some folks here will try to argue it.

Super eagles presently have 2 world class players and 3 or 4 potential world class players.

Super Eagles have two world class player shocked who are they Please?. Seems Your definition of World Class is pretty Loose grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:46am On Feb 09, 2017
Napoleon55:
you should have told us all along that u don't know the meaning of ''world class'', or that u have ur own customized divination of world class , that would have saved us a lot time trying to lecture u. Did u actually said somewhere that our golden generation hasn't come. Kontinu

People Have different Meaning to the term world class, But There are None in the Super Eagles undecided. Go to Red Cafe or any other Reputable Football Forum and Say Mikel Is a World Class Player and see if you wouldn't be laughed at.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:52am On Feb 09, 2017
enigmaticmotik:

Was it lack of competition that made him to last that long in Chelsea When players like Ballack was begging for his wages to be cut to remain in Chelsea undecided Look at the caliber of players he has displaced in the team Makalele, Essien, Diara, Ballack and even other promising talents grin grin grin Benitez that was a big critic of Mikel during his Liverpool days, benched Mikel when he first came, but immediately he used him and say how technical the guy was... End of story. Remember when Benitez left for Napoli, Mikel was the first player he tried to recruit.

Try watching that game against Spain in the confederations cup (better still, watch the highlight on YouTube). Mikel is a legend, midfield maestro and a great footballer which can make him stand tall among his peers. World class of the highest order unreservedly..,

You Mean displacing players past their Prime Is a tool for Choosing a World Class Player? Using this Logic, Matic is a World Class Player?. Essien and Ballack benched Mikel during their Prime tho undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 2:01am On Feb 09, 2017
daveP:
I'm glad you admit to the experience of Mikel which as you say is unrivalled at the moment that none of the raves of the moment can even shut him out of the team for now. Good!

Now if he isn't world class as you say, and he I still at the top of the ladder, standard till now, then doesn't that mean those under him; other SE Footballers are simply mediocres? Well

As for the other names mentioned, they didn't conquer England at the same time UCL while they were around. Emphasis on EPL and UCL.

7 coaches come and go and still use you in their style of play(Conte's kwanta with Mikel going to Olympics), to me that's legendary and world class.

He might be shadows often times, but undoubtedly, he is world class.

Maybe Because the Other Names didn't play in the EPL and UCL at the same time? Pretty Sure Eto was a Key Player when Inter Milan and Barcelona won the treble? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 5:46am On Feb 09, 2017
goldfish80, has your opinion about Ndidi changed? Or you still believe Onazi should keep benching him?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:22am On Feb 09, 2017
I think the problem is that Mikel was not flamboyant and did not get numerous goals, that is why he is underrated. Mikel outshone all of his competitors and sent them out of the club until Conte came. He was probably the best player on Chelsea's most famous night. He does not get the credit he deserves..

Some even suggest erroneously that he was a bench warmer. Very few players maintain Mikel's kind of consistent appearances at the top of the game for up to a decade. I have no doubt that if he did not go to the Olympics, he would have been part of Conte's team.

And Yes, he is world class. Playing at the top level for that long proves that. When I say top level, I mean champion league level for a decade. He is not Sanchez or Messi or Ronaldo but in the defensive midfield role, he proved himself as one of the best in Europe at his best.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:46am On Feb 09, 2017
World Class is a relative thing. My definition of a world class player would be somebody, who CONSISTENTLY wins games himself for BOTH club and country. You have to be super consistent to be world class. Left to me, there are only a handful of World Class players in football right now. Thinking at the top of my head, I can't count more than 20.

Goalkeepers: David de Gea, Manuel Neuer, Gianluigi Buffon

Full backs: David Alaba, Marcelo

Centre backs: Thiago Silva, Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Pepe, Diego Godin

Defensive/central midfielders: N’Golo Kanté, Sergio Busquets, Luka Modric

Wingers: Eden Hazard, Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi

Strikers: Luis Suárez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Robert Lewandowski

In fact, it is possible for the players on my list to be debated, but what that means is that there are even less world class players than I thought.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 6:55am On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:
World Class is a relative thing. My definition of a world class player would be somebody, who CONSISTENTLY wins games himself for BOTH club and country. You have to be super consistent to be world class. Left to me, there are only a handful of World Class players in football right now. Thinking at the top of my head, I can't count more than 20.

Goalkeepers: David de Gea, Manuel Neuer, Gianluigi Buffon

Full backs: David Alaba, Marcelo

Centre backs: Thiago Silva, Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels, Pepe, Diego Godin

Defensive/central midfielders: N’Golo Kanté, Sergio Busquets, Luka Modric

Wingers: Eden Hazard, Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi

Strikers: Luis Suárez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Robert Lewandowski

In fact, it is possible for the players on my list to be debated, but what that means is that there are even less world class players than I thought.

It's criminal not to put Iniesta,Kroos and Aguero . Would Replace Boateng with Pique/Ramos tho apart from that I think the list is fair.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 7:02am On Feb 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
I think the problem is that Mikel was not flamboyant and did not get numerous goals, that is why he is underrated. Mikel outshone all of his competitors and sent them out of the club until Conte came. He was probably the best player on Chelsea's most famous night. He does not get the credit he deserves..

Some even suggest erroneously that he was a bench warmer. Very few players maintain Mikel's kind of consistent appearances at the top of the game for up to a decade. I have no doubt that if he did not go to the Olympics, he would have been part of Conte's team.

And Yes, he is world class. Playing at the top level for that long proves that. When I say top level, I mean champion league level for a decade. He is not Sanchez or Messi or Ronaldo but in the defensive midfield role, he proved himself as one of the best in Europe at his best.

Wouldn't put a player who was benched by Oriol Romeou as World Class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:10am On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:
goldfish80, has your opinion about Ndidi changed? Or you still believe Onazi should keep benching him?
Onazi is not doing badly at his club at all,if you've been following developments. At the long run, Mikel will be eased out of the team. I don't expect Mikel being a super regular heading into the world cup next.
Players like Iwobi, Ndidi,Onazi, Etebo, Nwakali kelechi and a support cast of Ogu, Etisi will be holding sway.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:15am On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

It's criminal not to put Iniesta,Kroos and Aguero . Would Replace Boateng with Pique/Ramos tho apart from that I think the list is fair.

Iniesta is washed up these days. The Iniesta of 2017 is no longer the Iniesta of 2010.

Kroos, I don't know. He's lost his touch and regularly underwhelms these days.

Aguero would never be on my list, same reason Higuain would never be there. He's sh*t in Argentina, and this season he's been a shadow of himself in the Cityzen's colours.

Yeah, let's replace Ramos with Boateng. I wonder how I missed him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:27am On Feb 09, 2017
goldfish80:

Onazi is not doing badly at his club at all,if you've been following developments. At the long run, Mikel will be eased out of the team. I don't expect Mikel being a super regular heading into the world cup next.
Players like Iwobi, Ndidi,Onazi, Etebo, Nwakali kelechi and a support cast of Ogu, Etisi will be holding sway.

As long as Mikel proves himself in Camp, he will continue to be a regular taken out around the hour mark.

Oh, I love Esiti. The guy just never gets those opportunities.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:29am On Feb 09, 2017
...Arsenal Iwobi Eyes Ozil’s Spot – I grew Up As A Number 10

He may still be seen as a relative newcomer, but Alex Iwobi recently reached a significant career milestone when he made his 50th Arsenal appearance.

The Nigeria international has made huge strides since his first-team breakthrough, and says two particular teammates have aided his development.

“I never thought I would be here at the age of 20, it’s an amazing feeling to have made more than 50 appearances for Arsenal,” Iwobi said. “It is just the start of my career basically, so I just need to get more goals, more assists and make more appearances and d

“The manager, Steve Bould, everyone – even the players – have all given me advice on what to do, helping me on and off the pitch. Everyone has helped get to where I am today.

“[The biggest influence on me] would probably be Jack Wilshere, but he has not been around recently. He talks to me off the pitch because he has been through the same system as me, I just watch what he does – especially as I grew up as a No 10 and he’s a No 10.

“Now I would say it is Francis Coquelin, he is always talking to me. After the Watford game he told me what I did well, and what I need to improve on. He’s definitely one who keeps me in check.”

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/08/arsenal-iwobi-eyes-ozils-spot-i-grew-up-as-a-number-10/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:34am On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:

As long as Mikel proves himself in Camp, he will continue to be a regular taken out around the hour mark.

Oh, I love Esiti. The guy just never gets those opportunities.
If we are a serious team, Mikel will not be a starter come Russia. Just like Kanu was gradually eased out in his twilight years I expect Rohr to do the same.
Etisi is a super eagles material.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:34am On Feb 09, 2017
Mikel will definitely go down as a legend and one of our best midfielders ever, but he certainly was never World Class. Talented yes, but I'm sorry, he never got to a world class level at his peak. I agree he was a bit underrated in England, but no way in the world was he world class. I don't think there was ever a time in his career he was a top 10 CM/DM in world football.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:37am On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:

Iniesta is washed up these days. The Iniesta of 2017 is no longer the Iniesta of 2010.

Aguero would never be on my list, same reason Higuain would never be there. He's sh*t in Argentina, and this season he's been a shadow of himself in the Cityzen's colours.

Think Higuain is massively underrated due to the fact he choked at those finals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 7:37am On Feb 09, 2017
joseph1013:

I agree age has Caught Up with Iniesta but same Could be said Of Zlatan and Godin.

Still a Great list tho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 7:39am On Feb 09, 2017
edi287:
Mikel will definitely go down as a legend and one of our best midfielders ever, but he certainly was never World Class. Talented yes, but I'm sorry, he never got to a world class level at his peak. I agree he was a bit underrated in England, but no way in the world was he world class. I don't think there was ever a time in his career he was a top 10 CM/DM in world football.

Take Cover Sir, The Pro Mikel is World Class Group would soon be here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:42am On Feb 09, 2017
princesuko:

Take Cover Sir, The Pro Mikel is World Class Group would soon be here.
Looool it's the truth. Anyone who says otherwise is just being blindingly patriotic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) (542) (543) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: foxman04, elyte89, Kingjite1, zuchyblink(m), dijon and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.