Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5395) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11673432 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5392) (5393) (5394) (5395) (5396) (5397) (5398) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:28am On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

The U20 ends the same day the AFCON begins so could miss the group stage but I would advice to take him because even a single moment of brilliance off the bench could be worth its weight in gold. If there is the possibility he could play both we should grab that with both hands.

If the U20 is ending the same day the AFCON is commencing, Rohr would not want to gamble with putting him on the AFCON roaster. Besides, the SE would be engaged in build up games for team building and so it is completely out of place to put a player on your list who would not be part of camping and team building. It is easier to exempt an Oldie that has been part of the team for years and not a Newbie like Chukwueze cos such players are the ones that need the more time to bond with the team. Also Chukwueze's club would not want their property to be flogged that way(playing both tournaments) so he does not come back at the beginning of the next season burnt-out.

Chukwueze will only participate in just one of the two of which I would prefer he plays the U20.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:30am On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

There's another problem o grin

The La liga season will end the day after the u-20 world cup starts...and in the event that Villarreal reach the Europa league final,Chukwueze won't be available for the tournament.

The NFF won't be the problem

Then that is the major determinant.

I would have loved to see Chukwueze play with his mates sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:36am On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

Then that is the major determinant.

I would have loved to see Chukwueze play with his mates sha.

You haven't considered the possibility that Chuks himself mayn't want to play the world cup... He would need time to recover after the European football season ends...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:43am On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

You haven't considered the possibility that Chuks himself mayn't want to play the world cup... He would need time to recover after the European football season ends...

That is not a problem. The La-liga ending after the kickoff of the U20 is the issue. If FIFA wants to have the best of the U20 WC they need to consider the European season.

Besides, the NFF can also apply for the release of the player. If players were released for the Olympics and AFCON in years past same can also be obtained here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:55am On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

The U20 ends the same day the AFCON begins so could miss the group stage but I would advice to take him because even a single moment of brilliance off the bench could be worth its weight in gold. If there is the possibility he could play both we should grab that with both hands.

yes,

that's remains me of taye taiwo,

it got to a stage sia1 had o cry out,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:01pm On Jan 18, 2019
do4luv14:

yes,

that's remains me of taye taiwo,

it got to a stage sia1 had o cry out,

Did a major tournament like the AFCON hold same year or month Siasia played the U20 WC in 2005? No. So this is not the same scenario here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:14pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

Did a major tournament like the AFCON hold same year or month Siasia played the U20 WC in 2005? No. So this is not the same scenario here.

I know, but taiwo was always sent to SE to help with QUALIFIER. While still with U20
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:26pm On Jan 18, 2019
do4luv14:

I know, but taiwo was always sent to SE to help with QUALIFIER. While still with U20

That one is normal. Ahmed Musa at a point was playing U20, U23 and SE Qualifiers.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

If the U20 is ending the same day the AFCON is commencing, Rohr would not want to gamble with putting him on the AFCON roaster. Besides, the SE would be engaged in build up games for team building and so it is completely out of place to put a player on your list who would not be part of camping and team building. It is easier to exempt an Oldie that has been part of the team for years and not a Newbie like Chukwueze cos such players are the ones that need the more time to bond with the team. Also Chukwueze's club would not want their property to be flogged that way(playing both tournaments) so he does not come back at the beginning of the next season burnt-out.

Chukwueze will only participate in just one of the two of which I would prefer he plays the U20.
U want him to participate in only one tournament but the fact is that he can do both.

Yes he would miss the build up games but it won't be because he is on vacation in Dubai, he will be representing the country at a world cup so there will be no hard feelings to see him back. As far as club is concerned Samu has them by the balls. He has not signed a new contract and his agent can easily force them to allow him play both tournaments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:50pm On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

A hectic la liga season, a potential Europa league final... u-20 world cup and then the AFCON within the space of three months....

You want the boy to wear out??

How do u know he will wear out? Everybody isn't built the same plus he wouldn't play all the matches of the AFCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:59pm On Jan 18, 2019
bobobooge:

Lost by 3 - 1

Chukwueze is way above that team. He was the best but they rarely gave him the ball and he had to spend the better part of the game defending.

When he scored he did not jubilate but ran to remind his team mate hugging the ball to hurry up.

It is clear the boy is a winner but his team is letting him down. They are full of schoolboy errors. Even the coach is suspect.

Last two games before this, dude didn't play up to his standard, and the shameless hungry hawks in here were already stretching out their dirty claws. Suddenly, they have all gone back to their smelly filthy caves(nests).

Chuks is class and will never be short of suitors, should Villarreal fail to beat the drop.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:02pm On Jan 18, 2019
Fikayo Tomori was heralded as ‘the best young defender in Europe’ by fans who watched Derby County’s clash with Southampton.

The Rams progressed to the next round of the FA Cup after a thrilling 2-2 draw was settled by penalties at St Mary’s.

The centre-half, who is on loan with the Rams from Chelsea, showcased his incredible physical attributes as well as great intelligence on and off the ball.

Blessed with enough blistering pace to deal with Shane Long, Tomori regularly swept up at the back for Frank Lampard’s side.

Anyone who has watched Derby this season will know the 21-year-old is one of a number loan stars impressing at Pride Park this season.

Liverpool youngster Harry Wilson is also making headlines, while fellow Blue Mason Mount is showcasing his skills in midfield across the country.

But it was Tomori who impressed the most on Wednesday night, as these fans will happily attest.

Check out the best Tweets below!

Chad
@cfcChad
Low key the best young defender in Europe, don Tomori

Anthony
@antzhumbleent
Fikayo Tomori has been absolutely brilliant in this tie.. assured in possession, bullish, strong and assertive in the air, another real prospect in Chelsea's youth #FACup #SOUDER #bbcfootball

Joseph Kattab יוסף يوسف خطاب
@joekattab_Oil
The young kid on Loan from @ChelseaFC Fikayo Tomori playing CB tonight for Derby,what a player.... looks a future England captain @England excellent tonight calm composed brilliant what a talent #YoungLions #CFCFamily #FACUP #Tomori

Anonymous Football
@AnonoFootball
Derby’s young centre back Fikayo Tomori - on loan from Chelsea - has been fantastic tonight. He’s someone that I think has a very high ceiling; impressive on the ball and an athletic yet mature defensive player. Surely a future Premier League starter.

Troy Ledgerwood
@NufcTroy
Tomori would go straight into the Chelsea team after this performance #SFCvDCFC

Brewer.
@jackbrewerr
Tomori will be some player

Willa
@PWils0n07
#dcfcfans Tomori has been excellent

James
@FIMoneyPrint
Tomori looking fantastic, crazy pace. Wouldn’t invest though, he’ll end up being wasted at Chelsea

Joe sheehy
@coleyjoe89
Tomori looks a top defender in the making.. id genuinely attempt buy the likes of him before giving Phil Jones n the likes new contracts..

1:51 PM - Jan 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Joe sheehy's other Tweets

Luke Dodson
@LDodson93
Reckon Tomori’s faster than my internet connection

Chris turner
@cturner72
Impressed with Tomori tonight, looks a very good player. Power, pace, reads the game well and a decent passer. #dcfc #dcfcfans

Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Chris turner's other Tweets

Robert CFC
@AfcRoberto
Tomori looks like he's got the makings of a Premier League player. Whether he'll be good enough to play for Chelsea remains to be seen but nice to see another academy graduate doing well for himself.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

How do u know he will wear out? Everybody isn't built the same plus he wouldn't play all the matches of the AFCON

Playing too many games at a time can wear a player out regardless of how he is built.
..that's why there's squad rotation....

Chuks can only be available for one of the two tournament and that's likely the AFCON, all things considered

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:10pm On Jan 18, 2019
michael owen is a case study
Danielnino00:

Playing too many games at a time can wear a player out regardless of how he is built.

Chuks can only be available for one of the two tournament and that's likely the AFCON, all things considered
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:11pm On Jan 18, 2019
Suretips1:
Maturity Is When You Ignore What's Non Of Your Business, This Is A Public Forum, So shut Up And Mind Your Business

Thats true buh stupidity is when u put square pegs into round holes.

Check again, what does the title of the thread read?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:21pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

If the NFF truly know what they are doing Chukwueze should play the U20 WC and not the AFCON.

I disagree,

He should play AFCON. He is already at par with the wingers in the senior team and is beyond under 20 at the moment.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:24pm On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

U want him to participate in only one tournament but the fact is that he can do both.

Yes he would miss the build up games but it won't be because he is on vacation in Dubai, he will be representing the country at a world cup so there will be no hard feelings to see him back. As far as club is concerned Samu has them by the balls. He has not signed a new contract and his agent can easily force them to allow him play both tournaments.

There will be gruelling games at AFCON if we go far and he would be worn out.

I do not think, his club will want him playing 2 tournaments back to back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

I disagree,

He should play AFCON. He is already at par with the wingers in the senior team and is beyond under 20 at the moment.

If he helps us win the U-20 it will better than anything he does in the AFCON

Besides he is not much better than Samuel Kalu, Musa and Onyekuru
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:46pm On Jan 18, 2019
Kelechi Iheanacho's professional career in numbers
(Club and country)

Games played: 138
Goals scored:38
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:49pm On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

In that case there should be 11 substitutions allowed since all players have the same endurance. Let the time come first before making conclusions just like I don't know if he will hold up, u also don't know if he will.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:51pm On Jan 18, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Saka will play for Nigeria but am not sure of amaechi

me want amaechi...dude is more technical and very smart

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

In that case there should be 11 substitutions allowed since all players have the same endurance. Let the time come first before making conclusions just like I don't know if he will hold up, u also don't know if he will.

I suggest you check the laliga,Europa league, u-20 world cup and AFCON timetables again..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

There will be gruelling games at AFCON if we go far and he would be worn out.

I do not think, his club will want him playing 2 tournaments back to back.

His deal runs out this summer. Like I said we can save him until after the group stage or better yet until the final like his mentor Emmanuel Amunike.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:07pm On Jan 18, 2019
tbaba1234:

I disagree,

That is where we always make the mistake: underrating the U20 competition. With this mindset we can never win the U20 World Cup

Samuel Chukwueze is not beyond the U20.

I don't need to mention the composition of players in the last English U20 team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:19pm On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Oga firstly, these players are no robots. They are humans and can easily burn our when over used.

Secondly, Chukwueze is not a Messi or Ronaldo that a shirt will be reserved for him whether he was part of the camping or build up or not. Besides, he is still trying to break into the team. Musa, Iwobi and Kalu are ahead of him in the pecking order. I didn't include Simon until he plays a couple of more games. Chukwueze more than any other older winger needs to be in that Eagles camp. If he goes with the U20, then a shirt needs not be reserved for him in the SE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 2:20pm On Jan 18, 2019
Humility017:

me want amaechi...dude is more technical and very smart

You don't always know with youth football

I never believed Iwobi would turn out better than Akpom, Even Adelaide that people hailed as the new 'Pogba' is nowhere to be seen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:28pm On Jan 18, 2019
Danielnino00:

I suggest you check the laliga,Europa league, u-20 world cup and AFCON timetables again..

He misses a game or 2 not a big deal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:37pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

Oga firstly, these players are no robots. They are humans and can easily burn our when over used.

Secondly, Chukwueze is not a Messi or Ronaldo that a shirt will be reserved for him whether he was part of the camping or build up or not. Besides, he is still trying to break into the team. Musa, Iwobi and Kalu are ahead of him in the pecking order. I didn't include Simon until he plays a couple of more games. Chukwueze more than any other older winger needs to be in that Eagles camp. If he goes with the U20, then a shirt needs not be reserved for him in the SE.

They are no robots but you are not his team doctor for you to tell me when his body can burn out or not. Plus if our coaches manage his minutes there shouldn't be a problem.

I am not going into that who is better than who but it would be crazy not to consider taking a player like Samu to the AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:43pm On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

They are no robots but you are not his team doctor for you to tell me when his body can burn out or not. Plus if our coaches manage his minutes there shouldn't be a problem.

I am not going into that who is better than who but it would be crazy not to consider taking a player like Samu to the AFCON.

The first bolded got me laughing grin

We need players who will concentrate on each tournament and give their all. Nothing like manage his minutes.

Again he is no Messi or Ronaldo. He has no guaranteed place in the Eagles. He has to be in camp to fight for a place and bond with the team because he is still a Newbie.

It would be crazy taking a player like Samu, who is still a New inclusion in the team and yet to pin down a starting place, to a tournament like the AFCON without him going through the rigorous camping, screening and team building process.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:47pm On Jan 18, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

He misses a game or 2 not a big deal

It may be a big deal if they need those two games to stay off relegation. Remember the position they are presently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:02pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

The first bolded got me laughing grin

We need players who will concentrate in each tournament and give their all. Nothing like manage his minutes.

Again he is no Messi or Ronaldo. He has no guaranteed place in the Eagles. He has to be in camp to fight for a place and bond with the team because he is still a Newbie.

It would be crazy taking a player like Samu, who is still a New inclusion in the team and yet to pin down a starting place, to a tournament like the AFCON without him going through the rigorous camping, screening and team building process.

WE are not the coach or technical crew. The fact is that the option is very much on the table right now until the coach says different. He might not be Ronaldo or Messi but we are not out there with Mbappe and Hazard either. If we can bring a player of his quality off the bench it would make us much better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:03pm On Jan 18, 2019
Icon4s:

It may be a big deal if they need those two games to stay off relegation. Remember the position they are presently.

I was talking about the world cup.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5392) (5393) (5394) (5395) (5396) (5397) (5398) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: MRSAleroELEFAN(f) and 17 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.