Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5609) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652440 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5606) (5607) (5608) (5609) (5610) (5611) (5612) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:43pm On Mar 14, 2019
Listen bro, Atletico Madrid is still a small team.Yes, Diego Simeon has gone a long way to give them some cajoles but when it comes down to it comes down to it they would reverts to their small team mentality. This is a team that lost TWO champions cup finals to Real Madrid, not to talk about conceding 3 goals in the extra time! Bottom line, they simply didn't believe that they can win that game on Tuesday .... that's why they lost.

Hence, it would be a mistake to call Juve the favorites based on that performance alone or based on Juve's performance in Serie A. Serie A has become a one team league. I would be interested to see how this Juve team performs against the likes of Barca, ManCity, Liverpool and/or even Manchester United before I rank them. Right now, here are my current ranking:

Barca
Liverpool
ManCity
Juve
Manchester United
.... in that particular order. But like you said, football is not mathematics so anything can still happen.

O pari

darkelf:

Why did the atleti team not show up then? Juve simply took advantage of that and won. To me, that makes Juve the better team in that game.

Don't also forget that Juve has been unbeaten in their league so far this season.

Also, the same Man-u lost to Arsenal.Does that mean Arsenal will defeat Juventus should they meet now? I don't think so.

Football is very unpredictable but I support andrew. Juventus is the team to beat right now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 4:46pm On Mar 14, 2019
Is The Preference For Foreign-based Players Killing The Nigerian Football League

Ninety-eight percent of the players playing for the Nigerian national team are foreign-based. Only one or two players from the domestic league are usually invited to participate in some competitions. And oftentimes when they are invited, they sit on the bench because they cannot match the quality and exposure of their counterparts playing abroad.

However, many domestic players jump at any opportunity to play in the foreign leagues in order to increase their chances of getting a call up from the national team. And because of how local players have been leaving the Nigerian league for foreign clubs, a former Super Eagles goalkeeper, Ike Shorunmu has argued that the preference for foreign-based players is killing the Nigerian League.

In other words, because more attention is given to the Nigerian players playing abroad, domestic players are moving out in droves so that they can earn the recognition that will help them get a place in the national team. Consequently, leading to the drain of quality players in the Nigerian domestic league.

While Ike Shorunmu may be right to some extent, I do not completely agree with him because what is actually stunting the growth of Nigerian football league is poor management.

Despite the crop of talents that are in the Nigerian league, it still remains one of the worst leagues in Africa in terms of organization. Here is a league where many players do not have valid contracts and are even owed the peanuts they are paid. There is no way a foreign league will offer them a lucrative contract and they will not accept it.

The Brazilian and Argentine national teams are mostly dominated by foreign players, playing in different European Leagues and yet this has not in any way affected their local leagues, which rank as part of the competitive leagues in the world.

If the Nigerian league is well managed, there is no reason why the players will leave in the first place. In fact, they will stay and compete for the slots in the national team like their counterparts playing in foreign leagues.

Click to read full article: https://qwenu.com/2019/03/14/is-the-preference-for-foreign-based-players-killing-the-nigerian-football-league/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:00pm On Mar 14, 2019
The Bernardo Silva Blueprint

“He’s a humble guy, he can play three of four positions. He’s always an eight or nine (out of 10). He knows when he doesn't play good it doesn't matter because he runs the most.

“You cannot play every three days at the top level but you can run and run and run, and he does. Guardiola.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pep-guardiola-man-city-bernardo-15899341.amp
If Nacho gets this right then we will have a lethal scoring monster in our hands. Time for Nacho to embrace the hardwork from Brendan Rodgers on the training pitch.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 5:07pm On Mar 14, 2019
TheGoodJoe:
The Bernardo Silva Blueprint

“He’s a humble guy, he can play three of four positions. He’s always an eight or nine (out of 10). He knows when he doesn't play good it doesn't matter because he runs the most.

“You cannot play every three days at the top level but you can run and run and run, and he does. Guardiola.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pep-guardiola-man-city-bernardo-15899341.amp
If Nacho gets this right then we will have a lethal scoring monster in our hands. Time for Nacho to embrace the hardwork from Brendan Rodgers on the training pitch.

This is getting boring

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:13pm On Mar 14, 2019
Icon79:
Good assessment by Brendan Rogers; however, I really don't trust him one bit either. This man nearly destroyed Victor Moses' career. Anyway, I would like for him to prove me wrong this time sha.

O pari

Vic Moses didn't help himself. Rodgers played this guy as a 10 and personally requested for him. It just didn't work out for him. Simple.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:18pm On Mar 14, 2019
andrew444:
Leicester manager Rodgers: Iheanacho needs to enjoy football again

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers wants to get Kelechi Iheanacho enjoying his football again.

The £25million signing has not found the net for almost six months.

"I think it's about improving every player, I've always seen that as my job," said Rodgers.

"It's been hard for Kel because he's come in and he's been a secondary striker at Manchester City. All of a sudden he makes a move for big money and I think everyone can see the potential.

"But he's come in to one of the top strikers in the league (Jamie Vardy) and I think it's very hard to displace that.

"But it's just a case of adapting to these new players.

"Actually my job is not to put them in a trap of pressure, and take that away from them. Enjoy your football, but ultimately your first job is to press and work hard. From that what can you add into your game?"

Read more at https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/leicester-manager-rodgers-iheanacho-needs-to-enjoy-football-again-4272682#qMmxgXYxEoeJ5PpL.99
So Rodgers is saying Nacho left City where he was like 2nd - 3rd choice to move to Leicester to be second choice behind Vardy?? Nacho was signed to play ALONGSIDE Vardy and in certain cases replace him. Leicester played a 4-4-2 when he was signed. I'm sure people are looking at this comment as an excuse to justify Nacho's poor form but it doesn't add up.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:34pm On Mar 14, 2019
edi287:

So Rodgers is saying Nacho left City where he was like 2nd - 3rd choice to move to Leicester to be second choice behind Vardy?? Nacho was signed to play ALONGSIDE Vardy and in certain cases replace him. Leicester played a 4-4-2 when he was signed. I'm sure people are looking at this comment as an excuse to justify Nacho's poor form but it doesn't add up.

This is not an excuse to justify nacho poor form
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:43pm On Mar 14, 2019
Earthquake2:
Is The Preference For Foreign-based Players Killing The Nigerian Football League

Ninety-eight percent of the players playing for the Nigerian national team are foreign-based. Only one or two players from the domestic league are usually invited to participate in some competitions. And oftentimes when they are invited, they sit on the bench because they cannot match the quality and exposure of their counterparts playing abroad.

However, many domestic players jump at any opportunity to play in the foreign leagues in order to increase their chances of getting a call up from the national team. And because of how local players have been leaving the Nigerian league for foreign clubs, a former Super Eagles goalkeeper, Ike Shorunmu has argued that the preference for foreign-based players is killing the Nigerian League.

In other words, because more attention is given to the Nigerian players playing abroad, domestic players are moving out in droves so that they can earn the recognition that will help them get a place in the national team. Consequently, leading to the drain of quality players in the Nigerian domestic league.

While Ike Shorunmu may be right to some extent, I do not completely agree with him because what is actually stunting the growth of Nigerian football league is poor management.

Despite the crop of talents that are in the Nigerian league, it still remains one of the worst leagues in Africa in terms of organization. Here is a league where many players do not have valid contracts and are even owed the peanuts they are paid. There is no way a foreign league will offer them a lucrative contract and they will not accept it.

The Brazilian and Argentine national teams are mostly dominated by foreign players, playing in different European Leagues and yet this has not in any way affected their local leagues, which rank as part of the competitive leagues in the world.

If the Nigerian league is well managed, there is no reason why the players will leave in the first place. In fact, they will stay and compete for the slots in the national team like their counterparts playing in foreign leagues.

Click to read full article: https://qwenu.com/2019/03/14/is-the-preference-for-foreign-based-players-killing-the-nigerian-football-league/

The very first step is to get the teams in the NPFL and NNL playing on top quality pitches. This will make coaches who have creative ideas and style of play shine. In return, it will cause a steady growth of the playing quality of our players.

The solution lies in sorting the quality of play of the team which can not be achieved on poor pitches.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:46pm On Mar 14, 2019
True. But I don't think that he was given enough opportunities to adjust to the new team. First the entire team was playing bad at the beginning of that season, but only VicMo lost his starting spot ... the rest were given ample chances. Granted that he bought VicMo but I still don't think he was patient enough to let him adjust to the new system of play.

That didn't surprise me though because that's what happens to the African guy, once you play bad then you're off. The same thing is happening to Kelechi at Leicester.

O pari

edi287:

Vic Moses didn't help himself. Rodgers played this guy as a 10 and personally requested for him. It just didn't work out for him. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2019
edi287:

I think Rodgers was saying Nacho played in a system that favored two attackers with Nacho playing as a secondary striker. At such, he got the opportunities to have game time to show his quality but in the system he met at Leicester City, the focus of the system was on Vardy and as such, Nacho did not get room to show his quality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2019
komekn:

Can you be specific without demeaning rhetoric, how l have shifted the goal post.

Don't use conjecture or your own perception of what k have purported to have said but quote me verbatim.

Everyone on this thread can bear Me witness, you've always stressed that a player is doing nothing right, if he isn't getting game time consistently, if he isn't winning MOTMs or making appearances in the TOTW. This is what you posted recently, how does this not amount to a goalpost shift.

komekn:

With regards to Ebuehi he came on when the formation changed against Argentina. And in the first half the whole team was poor, changing the formation changed the latter part of the game in our favour. So it's not as simplistic as you want to make it.

You have dismissed Iorfa but not on merit but pre conceived notion that are not founded on anything beyond it seems dislike.

My opinion has not changed, l do not rate Ajayi better than Dominic on any level. Even if he gets 10 MOTM awards and that is not changing the goal posts. But making deductions with context.

t changed my discourse with regards to Dominic Iorfa. What exactly have l changed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:04pm On Mar 14, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I think Rodgers was saying Nacho played in a system that favored two attackers with Nacho playing as a secondary striker. At such, he got the opportunities to have game time to show his quality but in the system he met at Leicester City, the focus of the system was on Vardy and as such, Nacho did not get room to show his quality.
Leicester played with a 4-4-2 when Nacho arrived. Let's not forget in his last season at city - Pep hardly played with a 4-4-2 so I don't understand what he's implying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2019
Icon79:
True. But I don't think that he was given enough opportunities to adjust to the new team. First the entire team was playing bad at the beginning of that season, but only VicMo lost his starting spot ... the rest were given ample chances. Granted that he bought VicMo but I still don't think he was patient enough to let him adjust to the new system of play.

That didn't surprise me though because that's what happens to the African guy, once you play bad then you're off. The same thing is happening to Kelechi at Leicester.

O pari

I think he implied Vic Moses wasn't doing enough in training or something.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2019
tbaba1234:
“We are still having problems with age restrictions.

[b]“That has caused us to keep changing the team. A lot of players have age discrepancies.
“When you try to reconcile their age with what is on the passport, there is no uniformity in data.

“We have to look at players that came through the ranks to see how to put a team together.
“By the time the whole players from abroad arrive, we will have a clearer picture of our squad and, in the end, we should be able to put together a solid team.”[/b]

-Imama

They need to get that passport issue sorted out as quickly as possible. The Success of this team during qualfiers lies mostly on the home based players as most of the foreign based players will not be available for the CAF U23 tournament later in the year due to the timing of the competition.

They need to invite more home based players and sieve out the ones without age discrepancies and move on with them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:08pm On Mar 14, 2019
ChrisKels:
APOY 2019 race; Mane on early lead.

This is an AFCON year. AFCON performance of both the players and their team will play the major role in the selection process.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:30pm On Mar 14, 2019
edi287:

Leicester played with a 4-4-2 when Nacho arrived. Let's not forget in his last season at city - Pep hardly played with a 4-4-2 so I don't understand what he's implying.

When Nacho got his run under City, Aguero was suspended. So Nacho got a refreshing time to make an impact.

Leicester City starting with a 4-4-2 system does not mean they played that way most of the time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 14, 2019
edi287:

I think he implied Vic Moses wasn't doing enough in training or something.

I also think Vicmo at that time was competing against Coutinho specifically, he got game time when Coutinho was injured. Liverpool and Brendan had Suarez, the old Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho to pick from. I would have chosen all these guys ahead of Victor if I were Brendan.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:34pm On Mar 14, 2019
Icon4s:

This is an AFCON year. AFCON performance of both the players and their team will play the major role in the selection process.

Yes, but for now, Mane is on the front foot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

Yes, but for now, Mane is on the front foot.

I agree with you!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:42pm On Mar 14, 2019
tbaba1234:
“We are still having problems with age restrictions.

[b]“That has caused us to keep changing the team. A lot of players have age discrepancies.
“When you try to reconcile their age with what is on the passport, there is no uniformity in data.

“We have to look at players that came through the ranks to see how to put a team together.
“By the time the whole players from abroad arrive, we will have a clearer picture of our squad and, in the end, we should be able to put together a solid team.”[/b]

-Imama

This is honesty and integrity talking, unlike one lazy mistake of a coach, who came through the English system, that is busy filling up our U20s with grandpas, just for quick results. Thank u Imama, u are truly a wene pitakwa.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:52pm On Mar 14, 2019
For those misguided fellows bent on discrediting the efforts of my boy by calling the Turkish Super League, crap, here is what ur messiah, Victor Moses, has to say. grin

“The Turkish League is definitely very difficult. There are no easy games here. I know I have to improve on my performance too which I must do starting with our next game against Sivasspor.

Vicmo struggling in a league where Onyekuru is a king grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:55pm On Mar 14, 2019
ChrisKels:
For those misguided fellows bent on discrediting the efforts of my boy by calling the Turkish Super League, crap, here is what ur messiah, Victor Moses, has to say. grin

“The Turkish League is definitely very difficult. There are no easy games here. I know I have to improve on my performance too which I must do starting with our next game against Sivasspor.

Vicmo struggling in a league, where Onyekuru is a king grin

No mind them

Almighty fenebache are struggling that's says a lot about the turkey league ,go and check the caliber of players at fenerbache you will be suprised why they are struggling

See galatasaray ,besiktas,fenerbache and that Istanbul that got adebayor and Robinho,only the top 6 Epl teams are better than them .

But oga Moses is not struggling o ,abeg take am easy with Moses
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:55pm On Mar 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

Vicmo struggling in a league, where Onyekuru is a king grin

Is Moses struggling. His stats so far does not suggest struggling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:00pm On Mar 14, 2019
iSlayer2:

No need to be emotional. I'm not as invested in this as you are. As for praying for ManU, I can only laugh Hahahaha. You no understand ball o, you no no say ManU go fit comot you bah? Pray for Ajax or Porto or even Tottenham in current form.

Modified :

One more thing, majority of those 7 years of your Spanish glory had the English teams playing below our, so stop consoling yourself.
Lolz..man u? comot barca? the same man u arsenal trashed... kikiki
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:00pm On Mar 14, 2019
isan:
what if Ajayi partner Ndidi in the midfield with Iwobi ahead of them?
Gbam! exactly my choice. Place Henry and Samuel on the wing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 14, 2019
tbaba1234:

Is Moses struggling. His stats so far does not suggest struggling.

The owner of the name seems to suggest he can perform better and the intensity and quality of the Turkish league is higher than he thought.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 14, 2019
mostob:

Where will Musa be?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:07pm On Mar 14, 2019
it won't work. both are dm so the best mix will be a dm and a good box to box midfielder who has eyes for goals and creative as well. you can only deploy both the same time if you want the team to be more defensive minded
mostob:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:07pm On Mar 14, 2019
Taliban:

The owner of the name seems to suggest he can perform better and the intensity and quality of the Turkish league is higher than he thought.

It is one thing to say, i want to do better. It is another to say he is struggling.

He has 2 goals and 1 assist in 7 games. Better than his spells in West Ham and Liverpool already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:14pm On Mar 14, 2019
isan:
well done u tried very hard to take the credit away from Ajayi as if ajayi can't perform in another system except kick and rush

How long have you been watching Ajayi ❓ Seeing as you seem to suggest a deeper understanding of this player. What are his attributes and what is the style of play of his team Rotherham.

Then tell me what l have said that is not observationally correct.

Otherwise you are just making emotive irrational noise.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:16pm On Mar 14, 2019
charlesemeka85:
it won't work. both are dm so the best mix will be a dm and a good box to box midfielder who has eyes for goals and creative as well. you can only deploy both the same time if you want the team to be more defensive minded
it can work bro...for example in a formation where both FBs are attacking, they will get enough cover. my reason for choosing henry and Samuel was because they are attack minded players so with AJAYI and Ndidi in the middle, that guarantees enough cover.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:17pm On Mar 14, 2019
Taliban:

Where will Muda be?
he might be the CF depending on the opposition.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5606) (5607) (5608) (5609) (5610) (5611) (5612) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chuks404 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.