Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5726) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11634140 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5723) (5724) (5725) (5726) (5727) (5728) (5729) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

They would not want Rohr to drop Onyekuru either. Ask them which winger Rohr should drop between Kalu,Musa, Onyekuru and Simon grin
From the 5 wingers in that team Chukwueze is the least likely to make the AFCON
Good enough arrangements are already being made for him to join the Flying Eagles.

Someone wants Onyekuru dropped here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:12pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Uzoho, Akpeyi, Ezenwa;

Collins, Ekong, Balogun, Shehu, Aina, Omeruo, Awaziem,

Etebo, Ndidi, Ogu, Mikel, Iwobi, Ajayi,

Musa, Kalu, Onyekuru, Chukwueze, Osimhen, Onuachu, Ighalo.

You dropped Simon for Chukwueze? Simon is even more likely to make AFCON than Onyekuru talkless of Chukwueze.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2019
forgiveness:

With our last two games, Onyekuru has made a bold statement as a member of that team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

You dropped Simon for Chukwueze? Simon is even more likely to make AFCON than Onyekuru talkless of Chukwueze.

Simon has been down the pecking order since after the WC. Onyekuru starts ahead of him now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:17pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:
5 players that won the WAFU under 17 have failed MRI for the African tournament.

Who are these players? I thought they did one before the last tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:18pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

With our last two games, Onyekuru has made a bold statement as a member of that team.

Exactly!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:21pm On Apr 05, 2019
nelszx:

When France took a teenager to the world cup ahead of already established players who raised brows? Because they have seen the potential of Mbappe and guess what the teenagers contribution helped France become world champions.
We should be playing players based on current form not based on what they have done. Rsshford today starts ahead of Callum Wilson.
To me oo Chukwueze will be our joker going to the AFCON any player who isn't in form should be dropped. Dude play both as RWB and a RW with a left foot. Very scarce entity with Messi and Robben with a better left foot.

Villarreal on Europa has defeated Zenith St Petersburg, Sporting Lisbon, topped their table with teams like Rangers, Spartak Moscow and Rapid Vienna and you tell me they won't beat Everton. Baba no make me vex

My humble opinion: He should be taken to the AFCON

Everton has better players than those teams. You saw what they did to Chelsea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:21pm On Apr 05, 2019
forgiveness:

Who are these players? I thought they did one before the last tournament.

Yes, they will do tests before every tournament.

The goalkeeper and fullbacks are out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:22pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Simon has been down the pecking order since after the WC. Onyekuru starts ahead of him now.

You saw a resurgent Simon in our last AFCON game right?

That aside, you know how Simon missed the WC despite his immense contributions during the Qualifiers. Sir, team management is important, Simon will make the AFCON.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:23pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

Good one bro.

That list is endless, Pogba, Ronaldinho, Lacazzette, Kaka, Saviola, Kun Aguero, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi etc.

This is where Stars are made and not even the U17.
In as much as I would wish us to win the U20 but what I count as more important is the addition to the pool of players we can promote to the U23 and Super Eagles.

U17 is for wide chase of talents but for U20 u need to be specific with those that are already performing at club level.

To those that are preaching Aigbogun should go and discover his own new talents. So what do we do with the already discovered talents from the previous U17s? Discard them and be chasing nonentities who are already 20years olds?

And who says Aigbogun has not unearthed some new players? Who knew Oremade and Ozornwafor before the AYC?

There is a very good synergy between our national team coaches which has never happened before. And this should be commended.

At U17 talent is simply potential yet to be realised.

At U20 you should be playing first team football, if indeed your exceptional talent has been confirmed to be not just potential.

Exceptional U20 players will not be playing academy football or B team. If they are in a big team they will go on loan and make thier claim for first team football from thier loan time in smaller club.

Classic examples are Rúben Loftus C., Tega Abrahams, Reis Nelson.

Essentially what l am saying is you stake your claim for selection into the national U20 set up not BT past glories. But present continous progression into the first team football. Not academy youth football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2019
komekn:

At U17 talent is simply potential yet to be realised.

At U20 you should be playing first team football, if indeed your exceptional talent has been confirmed to be not just potential.

Exceptional U20 players will not be playing academy football or B team. If they are in a big team they will go on loan and make thier claim for first team football from thier loan time in smaller club.

Classic examples are Rúben Loftus C., Tega Abrahams, Reis Nelson.

Essentially what l am saying is you stake your claim for selection into the national U20 set up not BT past glories. But present continous progression into the first team football. Not academy youth football.

This seems to be the only topic here you and I always agree on grin

You just posted the truth bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

You saw a resurgent Simon in our last AFCON game right?

That aside, you know how Simon missed the WC despite his immense contributions during the Qualifiers. Sir, team management is important, Simon will make the AFCON.

Against Seychelles?? He scored but there was not much else to label him resurgent.

If Mikel is unavailable, sure i will put him in my team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:27pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Against Seychelles?? He scored but there was not much else to label him resurgent.

If Mikel is unavailable, sure i will put him in my team.

The fact that he scored, and the way he scored despite playing just few minutes is a major boost for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 5:31pm On Apr 05, 2019
Andrew, Curtis, Earthquake and co. Have you seen how matured people argue? grin
The senior men of the thread have taken over again. smiley

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2019
The best thing for Chukwueze is to go and play the U20 world cup, country football is different from club football, he has played only 45 minutes for the Super Eagles in a friendly match, if he goes to AFCON he would mostly play as an impact substitution, which may reduce his impact, he also just has a season of top flight football under his belt. Mbappe who he is being compared to,had two seasons of top flight football before taken to the world cup. Chukwueze is a very high quality player no doubt and am writing this as one of his biggest fans

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Samu offers something that simply does not exist in the super eagles right now. Natural left footed attacking players offer something different.

When Onyekuru, Musa and Kalu trouble the Barca defence in a competitive game, we can talk about upgrade. Those players are not obviously better.

Haba! Musa has played in the UEFA champions League for a decade against best clubs in top leagues. Please, let us give him that little respect.

However, I don't mind Rohr takes Chukwueze to the AFCON because his stats this season in the la Liga speaks for him but I doubt Rohr will drop players that contributed to the qualifiers for him.

Honestly speaking, he deserves to go to the AFCON.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2019
Petrobros:
Andrew, Curtis, Earthquake and co. Have you seen how matured people argue? grin
The senior men of the thread have taken over again. smiley

Me and Andrew are friends

We only fight when we are bored smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:37pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Yes, they will do tests before every tournament.

The goalkeeper and fullbacks are out.

I see. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by denniece1(m): 5:40pm On Apr 05, 2019
For those interested,
Super Falcons 5 - 1 UMF Selfoss 75' (Coutney Dike ×2, Ini Umotong ×2, Uchenna Kanu ×1).

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:42pm On Apr 05, 2019
forgiveness:

Haba! Musa has played in the UEFA champions League for a decade against best clubs in top leagues. Please, let us give him that little respect.

However, I don't mind Rohr takes Chukwueze to the AFCON because his stats this season in the la Liga speaks for him but I doubt Rohr will drop players that contributed to the qualifiers for him.

Honestly speaking, he deserves to go to the AFCON.

Yes, Musa has had many Champions league nights but i have not seen him dominate a top side's defence like Samu did, the other. No disrespect to Musa.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:43pm On Apr 05, 2019
forgiveness:

that's because amongst the 5 wingers onyenkuru comes last when it comes to stamina and physique necessary for Africa football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:44pm On Apr 05, 2019
denniece1:
For those interested,
Super Falcons 5 - 1 UMF Selfoss 75' (Coutney Dike ×2, Ini Umotong ×2, Uchenna Kanu ×1).
awww so my babe (Dike) scored. ... that's impressive
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:57pm On Apr 05, 2019
tbaba1234:

Yes, Musa has had many Champions league nights but i have not seen him dominate a top side's defence like Samu did, the other. No disrespect to Musa.

He has against real Madrid, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Roma.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 5:58pm On Apr 05, 2019
Golden Eaglets camp in disarray as MRI knocks out 5 key players

Ahead of the U-17 African Cup of Nations holding in Tanzania in a few days time, five key players of the Nigeria Golden Eaglets have failed the MRI test according to our reporter in Abuja.
The Manu Garba-led side emerged Champions in the WAFU qualifying series but were unable to conduct the MRI test on the players months ago before the competition due date.
However, after the test was conducted on Friday, 5 key players from the team that qualified the country for the African Youth Championship in Tanzania have been knocked out.
The players affected are:

Goalkeeper – JOHN IKEDINACHUKWU AMAH

defender – MUHAMMED IBRAHIM

midfielders – HASSAN HUSEINI, BABATUNDE AKINSOLA JIMOH

Forward – FAVOR AKEM
One of the players knocked out by the MRI test who pleaded anonymity confirmed the situation to our source in Abuja on Friday afternoon a few minutes after the exercise.

https://www.brila.net/golden-eaglets-camp-in-disarray-as-mri-knocks-out-5-key-players">
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:00pm On Apr 05, 2019
forgiveness:

Add 8 to the 3 goalkeepers and you will get 11. How do you pick the remaining 12 players?
7 defenders 5 midfielders
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2019
Earthquake2:
Golden Eaglets camp in disarray as MRI knocks out 5 key players

Ahead of the U-17 African Cup of Nations holding in Tanzania in a few days time, five key players of the Nigeria Golden Eaglets have failed the MRI test according to our reporter in Abuja.
The Manu Garba-led side emerged Champions in the WAFU qualifying series but were unable to conduct the MRI test on the players months ago before the competition due date.
However, after the test was conducted on Friday, 5 key players from the team that qualified the country for the African Youth Championship in Tanzania have been knocked out.
The players affected are:

Goalkeeper – JOHN IKEDINACHUKWU AMAH

defender – MUHAMMED IBRAHIM

midfielders – HASSAN HUSEINI, BABATUNDE AKINSOLA JIMOH

Forward – FAVOR AKEM
One of the players knocked out by the MRI test who pleaded anonymity confirmed the situation to our source in Abuja on Friday afternoon a few minutes after the exercise.

https://www.brila.net/golden-eaglets-camp-in-disarray-as-mri-knocks-out-5-key-players">

Too bad. So none of the newly included players failed the test?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2019
cc12:
The best thing for Chukwueze is to go and play the U20 world cup, country football is different from club football, he has played only 45 minutes for the Super Eagles in a friendly match, if he goes to AFCON he would mostly play as an impact substitution, which may reduce his impact, he also just has a season of top flight football under his belt. Mbappe who he is being compared to,had two seasons of top flight football before taken to the world cup. Chukwueze is a very high quality player no doubt and am writing this as one of his biggest fans
at last I agree with these yr assertion...but will the lad be released by his club?
considering the fact that at the time the WYC will kick off is same period the La Liga will be in hot stage especially for the top 5 bottom teams and top 5 top teams.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

Too bad. So none of the newly included players failed the test?
sure now... the Lateef Omo guy I mean the feyernood kid and the Chelsea lad are obviously 14 years old.
just so painful but I trust him and his backroom staffs to scale through the hurdle
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 6:12pm On Apr 05, 2019
I foresaw this problem arising a long time ago

Humility017:

at last I agree with these yr assertion...but will the lad be released by his club?
considering the fact that at the time the WYC will kick off is same period the La Liga will be in hot stage especially for the top 5 bottom teams and top 5 top teams.....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:12pm On Apr 05, 2019
Icon4s:

but I still fear for the lad physique and stamina when it comes to Africa football...
anyway no hard feelings tho..Samuel Chukwueze cam be dropped to the Under 20
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:14pm On Apr 05, 2019
cc12:
I had seen this problem arising a long time ago

it happened with manu garba and his team some years back....
since then I believe every reasonable coach ought to have a plan B... over reliance on some foreign based players and their failure to show up for the team camping early enough partly cost the team so much in that new zealand tourney

(1) (2) (3) ... (5723) (5724) (5725) (5726) (5727) (5728) (5729) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheSuperNerd(m), elyte89, shawwal1(m), Kog45(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.