Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,519 members, 7,850,783 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:59 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5732) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11867355 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5729) (5730) (5731) (5732) (5733) (5734) (5735) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:35am On Apr 06, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Sometimes the way the names of certain players are been mentioned and echoed in this forum will make a newbie think that the mentioned players are the next big thing to come out of this country.

How on earth will someone suggest that azubuike okechukwu will take mikel's place in the afcon team? Mikel aside ndidi is the best midfielder we can boast of currently even at his age and have been in decent form for borough in the championship.

Rohr is not done with mikel and it will be his greatest undoing to ignore mikel's influence and experience for an over hyped okechukwu who is yet to achieve anything tangible since leaving 9ja for turkey.

Igbekeme who is doing very well in the Spanish 2nd tier is not even mentioned, mikel agu who have been decent so far or even resurgent Anderson esiti are good enough to be mentioned but all I see always here when when their is a compilation of possible names to thicken our midfield are names that have underperformed or flattered to deceive.

If okechukwu is as good as hyped in this forum always why haven't any decent Turkish club atleast take notice of him? The last time he ran to Egypt which was an awkward move for a young player who remaining in Europe should be his top priority.

Is azubuike okechukwu better than rijeka's Abdul zubairu who have courted interest from the likes of Ajax and aek athens? Is he better than Igbekeme who have been a revelation in the Spanish 2nd tier and have been linked with a possible move to a team in the Spanish top flight? His he better than mikel agu who have been consistent in the Portuguese league for the past 2 season out on loan from porto? This una hype Don dey begin irritate me I swear!

Hehehe! I tire ooo. grin

As you rightly said, there are better players ahead of Azubuike. The likes of Eze and Onomah should have been given a chance to prove themselves but Rohr no wan hear.

Even Ramon Azeez team is the second on the Spanish second tier and he has been very consistent lately.

Why must Azubuike be picked ahead of all these players doing better than him?

Well, Mikel Obi must go to AFCON.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:35am On Apr 06, 2019
Seems the boys are following our argument here; Awaziem is of same view with tbaba1234, and here is what he's got to say to Supersport.com;

''I think we are going to have a good Africa Cup of Nations with these kind of players (Chukwueze and Onyekuru) because if you check at their clubs they are doing very good and they are playing in the best leagues in the world, especially Chukwueze, and they are playing regularly,''

I can deduce from this that Awaziem's first choice wingers are Onyekuru LW and Chukwueze RW.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:36am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Look at the last World Cup final 23 list. Was there any major surprise? If not for the fact Moses Simon was injured, Simy Nwankwo would not have made the list. What will make Rohr change over night and start handing invites to every Tom, Dick and Harry? Mikel is going to Afcon, behind the scenes or not.

grin

Easy Bruh! LMAO!

This is not War. None of us is part of the technical crew nor Members of the NFF technical Committee. This is simply a Forum - a Forum bruh.

If Mikel makes it to AFCON, I have no issue with it, infact it's gonna make the Team stronger. I need to clear the Air before the Pull-him-down Gang swarms on me.

We are simply discussing Scenarios, I dropped the Reasons for my Observation and as well asked Questions.... Can you be civil with your Engagement?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:37am On Apr 06, 2019
Many here do not know that one of the reasons mikel turned down moves to the likes of As Roma and wolfsburg who were serious to sign him and settled for borough was to get enough playing time to be fit on time for the afcon while the other reason was his young family

quote author=Truidstar post=77310263]

Look at the last World Cup final 23 list. Was there any major surprise? If not for the fact Moses Simon was injured, Simy Nwankwo would not have made the list. What will make Rohr change over night and start handing invites to every Tom, Dick and Harry? Mikel is going to Afcon, behind the scenes or not. [/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:38am On Apr 06, 2019
andrew444:

Okay

But I don't think it's serious

I hope not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Easy Bruh! LMAO!

This is not War. None of us is part of the technical crew nor Members of the NFF technical Committee. This is simply a Forum - a Forum bruh.

If Mikel makes it to AFCON, I have no issue with it, infact it's gonna make the Team stronger. I need to clear the Air before the Pull-him-down Gang swarms on me.

We are simply discussing Scenarios, I dropped the Reasons for my Observation and as well asked Questions.... Can you be civil with your Engagement?

Am civil bro, I respect your opinion. But just stating obvious facts.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:41am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

We are simply debating and no one is sure of what Rohr would come up with - it's down to personal Observations and Expectations.

Mikel not making the AFCON list doesn't translate to being unceremoniously retired from the Squad. Mikel is needed, I agree but behind the Scene - non of us is where of what is transcending.

I wrapped up my mind on Mikel - not likely makes the List - because I did expect his Invitation to the last Matches. He's not injured, playing regularly for his Club, then why didn't he make the list?!

Its no secret Rohr wants to phase Mikel away from the team and It is unlikely that Mikel will continue with the SE after Afcon

But not inviting Mikel to Afcon would be a gaffe Rohr will not want to make, if not for the sake of the understrength nature of our midfield but for uproar and backlash that would bring

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:42am On Apr 06, 2019
Understrength nature of the midfield when we have azubuike okechukwu and kele Nwakali? cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Earthquake2:

Its no secret Rohr wants to phase Mikel away from the team and It is unlikely that Mikel will continue with the SE after Afcon

But not inviting Mikel to Afcon would be a gaffe Rohr will not want to make, if not for the sake of the understrength nature of our midfield but for uproar and backlash that would bring
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:42am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Coach Gernot Rohr has revealed Super Eagles captain, Mikel Obi, is not yet ready for a return to the national team despite featuring regularly for his English Championship side, Middlesbrough

Rohr, speaking at his pre-match conference ahead of todays 2019 AFCON qualifier against Seychelles, explained that Mikel Obi is still nursing an injury on his knee.
He was quoted as saying“Obi Mikel is playing well at Middlesbrough and he is doing well now, but there is still a little problem with his knee and it is not the moment for him to come back to the team in these conditions.
“There are so many games for him to play for Middlesbrough. They are fighting for a promotional playoff spot. And he told me it’s not the right time to return. But if Obi Mikel is very fit and has the motivation, if he shows that he is better than the other people we have, the door is open.

“I’m not like Joachim Low (the German coach) who announced that three players are out of the German national team because you never know what might happen. There could be injury or loss of form.

“We are watching what is happening and we hope he (Mikel) can come back one day because we need experience. We now have more young players than the last list,” he disclosed

grin

The first bolded..... Rohr didn't guarantee Mikel would make the final List, rather he throws the Door opens, not just for Mikel, but also for others who are ready and fit.

The second bolded..... I guess it clarifies your last submission about Rohr wouldn't have brought Simy to the World Cup, if Simon wasn't injured.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:47am On Apr 06, 2019
Earthquake2:

Its no secret Rohr wants to phase Mikel away from the team and It is unlikely that Mikel will continue with the SE after Afcon.

grin

You seem to be getting my Point than the Toddler gnashing Teeth while being emotional with his senseless Contributions. The bolded is exactly my Observation and the Reason I didn't include him on my List.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:50am On Apr 06, 2019
And his perfect replacement is azubuike okechukwu?
Oasis007:

grin

You seem to be getting my Point than the Toddler gnashing Teeth while being emotional with his senseless Contributions. The bolded is exactly my Observation and the Reason I didn't include him on my List.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:50am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Am civil bro, I respect your opinion. But just stating obvious facts.

grin

You are on point bro, just trying to avoid confrontations. Arguments ain't meant to be won only, but sometimes to learn as well as expose the Audience to what they know not - instead of chest-beating with Ignorance.

Feel you bro!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:51am On Apr 06, 2019
If you want to know who and who Rohr will pick, just look at his starting 11.

..................................Akpeyi(not sure)...................

....Shehu...........Troost...............Balogun......... Collins...

.....................Ndidi...........Etebo............

...Kalu..................Iwobi.........................Musa........

............................ Ighalo........

This is typical starting 11 of Rohr. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:53am On Apr 06, 2019
charlesemeka85:

grin

I've edited the List, cos a particular Name deserves to be on it with his Performance week in week out with his Club. His Name is Simi Ajayi. I expect him to make the List if Mikel is dropped based on the Formations I suggested.

Don't misunderstand me Bruh, I ain't saying Mikel is not needed in the Team, rather based on my Observation which Earthquake has buttressed - seems Rohr is kinda done with Mikel in the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:56am On Apr 06, 2019
Hmmmm, super bascovanveli I bind and cast out that injury from OSIMHEN Amen

oga oasis007, this table you dey shake so with ' nacho must go to afcon '
nah one corner ah dey , dey look you with one eye....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:57am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Except Rohr wants to be sacked then he can drop Mikel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:59am On Apr 06, 2019
do4luv14:
Hmmmm, super bascovanveli I bind and cast out that injury from OSIMHEN Amen

oga oasis007, this table you dey shake so with ' nacho must go to afcon '
nah one corner ah dey , dey look you with one eye....

grin

Iheanacho is needed in the Team, I foresee him to prove many Doubters if he plays as a SS in a 4 - 4 - 2 Formation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:59am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:
My predicted 23man List for the AFCON.

GK
Uzoho
Akpeyi
Ezenwa

DF
Aina
Shehu
Collins
Omeruo
Balogun
Ekong
Awaziem

MF
Azubuike/Ajayi
Ndidi
Etebo
Ogu
Iwobi

ST
Onuachu/Osimhen
Ighalo
Moses
Musa
Kalu
Onyekuru
Iheanacho

Please, remove Azubuike and Iheanacho from the list. Thanks in advance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
Better bro! Make we forget hype and face facts. If you are an ardent follower of the exploits and performance of our midfielders in Europe this correct campaign azubuike okechukwu will not make the top five list.

Anderson esiti of recent is doing very well in the Belgian league, freide who is oshimeh's team mate in Belgium though a German youth teamer on loan from hertha Berlin have been doing pretty well so far in the Belgian league, the much maligned Mikel agu have been a steady performer in the colors of Victoria serubal, igbekeme is a delight to watch in the Spanish 2nd tier, Abdul zubairu have been massive for rijeka for the past 2 seasons, then the likes of ndidi, Mikel and etebo are in a different world so I see no reason why players like azubuike will be mentioned here as a solution to our problematic midfielder or even as a possible replacement for John obi Mikel! I didn't even mention the likes of qpr's ebere Eze and Charlton's rave of the moment Joe aribo is is courting interest from the likes of Arsenal, spurs, Frankfurt and benfica
Oasis007:

grin

I've edited the List, cos a particular Name deserves to be on the List with his Performance week in week out with his Club. His Name is Simi Ajayi. I expect him to make the List if Mikel is dropped based on the Formations I suggested.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Iheanacho is needed in the Team, I foresee him to prove many Doubters if he plays as a SS in a 4 - 4 - 2 Formation.

Iheanacho is a good player but unfortunately some players are ahead of him based on current club performance.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
forgiveness:

Except Rohr wants to be sacked then he can drop Mikel.

grin

Egbon mi, nothing go happen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 12:04pm On Apr 06, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Better bro! Make we forget hype and face facts. If you are an ardent follower of the exploits and performance of our midfielders in Europe this correct campaign azubuike okechukwu will not make the top five list.

Anderson esiti of recent is doing very well in the Belgian league, freide who is oshimeh's team mate in Belgium though a German youth teamer on loan from hertha Berlin have been doing pretty well so far in the Belgian league, the much maligned Mikel agu have been a steady performer in the colors of Victoria serubal, igbekeme is a delight to watch in the Spanish 2nd tier, Abdul zubairu have been massive for rijeka for the past 2 seasons, then the likes of ndidi, Mikel and etebo are in a different world so I see no reason why players like azubuike will be mentioned here as a solution to our problematic midfielder or even as a possible replacement for John obi Mikel!

grin

I mentioned him because he's the Captain of the U23 Team and Ajayi's Name escaped my mind. As I said, I really hope for Mikel return like the majority of us here, but not certain he's gonna make the final list - solely my opinion, and not hating - rather based on Observation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:04pm On Apr 06, 2019
charlesemeka85:

Lol

I swear
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:09pm On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Egbon mi, nothing go happen.

Okay na.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:10pm On Apr 06, 2019
Lol OK bros but that u23 captain wey dey give am self fit be arrangi lol
Oasis007:

grin

I mentioned him because he's the Captain of the U23 Team and Ajayi's Name escaped my mind. As I said, I really hope for Mikel return like the majority of us here, but not certain he's gonna make the final list - solely my opinion, and not hating - rather based on Observation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:20pm On Apr 06, 2019
forgiveness:

Lol

U really see am well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 12:22pm On Apr 06, 2019
grin

Andrew444..... Are you a supporting Striker?! LMAO!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 12:24pm On Apr 06, 2019
forgiveness:

grin

Make I comot Ajayi too?! Cos I grouped them together!

Iheanacho is going to AFCON, mark my Words.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 12:34pm On Apr 06, 2019
Wow wow wow my man, my man, my man!!

Ndidi battles Mane, Vardy and Sterling for EPL player of the month Award

Nigeria midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi has been nominated for the Premier league fans Player of the Month Award for the month of March.
The Leicester City man will battle Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling and Everton’s Lucas Digne for the award.
Ndidi Leicester City’s teammate Jamie Vardy, Sadio Mane of Liverpool and Crystal Palace fullback Aaron Wan-Bissaka are also in the race for the award.
The 22-year-old has been ever-present in the midfield for the Foxes this season and he has been present in the team since joining Leicester from Belgian side, RC Genk.
Ndidi has completed the most tackles in the Premier League and has scored twice from 32 appearances for the Foxes this season.

https://www.brila.net/ndidi-battles-mane-vardy-and-sterling-for-epl-player-of-the-month-award/

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Make I comot Ajayi too?! Cos I grouped them together!

Iheanacho is going to AFCON, mark my Words.

I don't really know why Rohr keeps inviting Ajayi though I heard he is doing well in the Championship and also versatile but I don't really think he's a better option.

I will rather take another player than take Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 12:38pm On Apr 06, 2019
forgiveness:

I don't really know why Rohr keeps inviting Ajayi though I heard he is doing well in the Championship and also versatile but I don't really think he's a better option.

I will rather take another player than take Iheanacho.

grin

Well, it's all down to Rohr and his backroom Staff. He knows the Players, he knows what he needs, I just hope and pray he selects the best Legs for the Eagles.

Shalom.
Salaam.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:39pm On Apr 06, 2019
I expect Mikel to make the AFCON list ...and also retire after the tournament..

For somebody that broke into the national team in 2005, he should have up to a hundred caps now... but sadly injuries and some unseriousness in the early stage of his career (VicMo type ) prevented that...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5729) (5730) (5731) (5732) (5733) (5734) (5735) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: opes, damagnificentusb(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.