Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,728 members, 7,851,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:45 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5731) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11872727 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5728) (5729) (5730) (5731) (5732) (5733) (5734) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 10:33am On Apr 06, 2019
Earthquake2:

No sense in not taking him to Afcon, it's not like we have a decent midfield without him

Exactly, if we are to present our strongest squad then Mikel makes the cut on merit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:40am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:
My predicted 23man List for the AFCON.

GK
Uzoho
Akpeyi
Ezenwa

DF
Aina
Shehu
Collins
Omeruo
Balogun
Ekong
Awaziem

MF
Azubuike
Ndidi
Etebo
Ogu
Iwobi

ST
Onuachu/Osimhen
Ighalo
Moses
Musa
Kalu
Onyekuru
Iheanacho

My nacho must not go to afcon ,even if e score 5 goals before Epl go end

Osimhen is a must for afcon

Anyway am not the coach to decide

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:41am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Yes you are...... Mikel is probably not going to AFCON, that is why Azubuike is in the List.

Who tell you say mikel no go go afcon ?

I hope rohr is not trying to retire my guy from international football

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:42am On Apr 06, 2019
wayodude:

Based on what is on ground Chukwueze has shown better form in club football this season than Simon and Kalu and until he is allowed to compete with them for an AFCON shirt we will be doing ourselves na disservice sending him to the U-20s.

Agreed with what you said ,Bt you know your eagles coach sha ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 10:50am On Apr 06, 2019
andrew444:

Who tell you say mikel no go go afcon ?

I hope rohr is not trying to retire my guy from international football

grin

To be honest, I ain't sure Mikel and Onazi gonna make it to AFCON based on personal Observations. Seems Rohr is done with Mikel and it's likely Musa gonna captain the Team at the tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 10:51am On Apr 06, 2019
My own is that Osimhen should go to AFCON and even be in the starting eleven. Chuks or no chuks , we have good,if not better player in his wing/position.

That guy Osimhen is my own concern..a complete striker.!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 10:54am On Apr 06, 2019
andrew444:

grin

Nothing gonna stop Iheanacho from making the List except Injury. It's between Onuachu and Osimhen, either of them gonna be dropped. It's likely for Onuachu to get the Nod over Osimhen, cos I expect the latter to partake in the AFCON U23.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 06, 2019
andrew444:

Azubuike over Mikel? Has Moses come out of retirement? Your list is 95%. I can tell you authoritatively that Mikel is the first name on the list for Afcon. Moses? Naaaaaaaaa. Azubuike? Not happening.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:58am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

To be honest, I ain't sure Mikel and Onazi gonna make it to AFCON based on personal Observations. Seems Rohr is done with Mikel and it's likely Musa gonna captain the Team at the tournament.

Okay o let's see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 10:58am On Apr 06, 2019
What's happening between Mikel and Rohr nah....Mikel should announce his retirement if he truly not going to the AFCON....I'm tired of keeping my fingers crossed, hoping he returns.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Observe well again. Roger always consults Mikel if he is gonna be invited before any match. Mikel is going to Afcon. Except he tells Rohr otherwise.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:01am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Azubuike over Mikel? Has Moses come out of retirement? Your list is 95%. I can tell you authoritatively that Mikel is the first name on the list for Afcon. Moses? Naaaaaaaaa. Azubuike? Not happening.

Not me o

I didn't say azubuike over mikel o

No b me do list o

Azubuike can't go to afcon ,I no just wan talk 2 much
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:05am On Apr 06, 2019
Earthquake2:

I don't see it Rohr doesn't have the personnel in midfield to execute Afcon successfully

Besides the uproar such will cause may cost him his job

grin

Rohr is already considering Azubuike prior to his Invitation to the U23 Set-up, thus I won't be amazed if he makes the final List at the Expense of Mikel.

Rohr will likely play 4 - 4 - 2 or 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 Formation at AFCON, hence won't be surprised if he tries out the Formation(s) in the next Match(es).

He's more likely to play to the Squad depth and Strength since we are blessed with talented Wingers at the moment. I see Rohr playing Ighalo as 9, behind him as an AM/SS will be Iwobi/Iheanacho - depending on the Formation.

If the Formation is 4 - 2 - 3 - 1, Iwobi will start, but if it's 4 - 4 - 2, I expect Iheanacho to play as SS. Then Musa on the left Wing while Kalu play on the right Wing. Ndidi and Etebo are expected to play as DMs Pivot.

Aina, Ekong, Balogun and Collins as Defenders, while Uzoho maintains his Position as the No. 1 GK.

Note: this is strictly my opinion. Any contrary view is welcomed but in a civil manner.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:10am On Apr 06, 2019
If we want to judge and select players based on CURRENT club performance then Samu should be number one on the list. Followed by Onyekuru, Ahmed, Simon and lastly Kalu(because he has not been playing games recently) in that particular order.

The simple truth is that he has contributed 10 goals this season in the best league in the world while others did it in lower leagues.

Now let us ask ourselves these critical questions in regards to national team settings and how Rohr could pick players.

Will Rohr drop Samuel Kalu who played a crucial part in qualifying us despite being the least in pecking order (based on club current form?

Will Rohr drop Ahmed Musa who happens to be the captain and current Nigeria best player?

Let me pass my verdict on these two players before proceeding to the next players. You can give yours anyway.

Let me state it clearly that these two players will never be dropped by Rohr except injury sets in.

Now, let us think about Onyekuru and Simon chances.

Who will Rohr choose among these three remaining players.

The factors that will determine this are:

1. Who is the better back up for Kalu(RW) and Ahmed (LW)?

2. Who has been tested and trusted by Rohr?

3. Who is more dynamic and versatile btw the three players?

4. Which player suites into Rohr's tactics (especially helping the defence)?

5. Which player has been given more chances by Rohr?

6. if Rohr has settled for Kalu and is still looking for a left footer on the RW.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 06, 2019
andrew444:

Not me o

I didn't say azubuike over mikel o

No b me do list o

Azubuike can't go to afcon ,I no just wan talk 2 much

OK bro, I Don see the person wey do list. Apologies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:11am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Observe well again. Roger always consults Mikel if he is gonna be invited before any match. Mikel is going to Afcon. Except he tells Rohr otherwise.

grin

You have Evidence to back your Claim?! Cos you are simply indicting Mikel as a Dictator who can't be controlled by Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:11am On Apr 06, 2019
andrew444:

Seems Osimhen is injured. Missed the last two matches for his club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:13am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Rohr is already considering Azubuike prior to his Invitation to the U23 Set-up, thus I won't be amazed if he makes the final List at the Expense of Mikel.

Rohr will likely play 4 - 4 - 2 or 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 Formation at AFCON, hence won't be surprised if he tries out the Formation(s) in the next Match(es).

He's more likely to play to the Squad depth and Strength since we are blessed with talented Wingers at the moment. I see Rohr playing Ighalo as 9, behind him as an AM/SS will be Iwobi/Iheanacho - depending on the Formation.

If the Formation is 4 - 2 - 3 - 1, Iwobi will start, but if it's 4 - 4 - 2, I expect Iheanacho to play as SS. Then Musa on the left Wing while Kalu play on the right Wing. Ndidi and Etebo are expected to play as DMs Pivot.

Aina, Ekong, Balogun and Collins as Defenders, while Uzoho maintains his Position as the No. 1 GK.

Note: this is strictly my opinion. Any contrary view is welcomed but in a civil manner.

I don't think that will happen, I don't think Rohr will retire his captain in an unceremonious manner
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 06, 2019
forgiveness:

If we want to judge and select players based on CURRENT club performance then Samu should be number one on the list. Followed by Onyekuru, Ahmed, Simon and lastly Kalu(because he has not been playing games recently) in that particular order.

The simple truth is that he has contributed 10 goals this season in the best league in the world while others did it in lower leagues.

Now let us ask ourselves these critical questions in regards to national team settings and how Rohr could pick players.

Will Rohr drop Samuel Kalu who played a crucial part in qualifying us despite being the least in pecking order (based on club current form?

Will Rohr drop Ahmed Musa who happens to be the captain and current Nigeria best player?

Let me pass my verdict on these two players before proceeding to the next players. You can give yours anyway.

Let me state it clearly that these two players will never be dropped by Rohr except injury sets in.

Now, let us think about Onyekuru and Simon chances.

Who will Rohr choose among these three remaining players.

The factors that will determine this are:

1. Who is the better back up for Kalu(RW) and Ahmed (LW)?

2. Who has been tested and trusted by Rohr?

3. Who is more dynamic btw the two players?

4. Which player suites into Rohr's tactics (especially helping the defence)?

5. Which player has been given more chances by Rohr?

6. if Rohr has settled for Kalu and is still looking for a left footer on the RW.

Egbon, Na exam question you set so. My own opinion..... Onyekuru, Simon, Musa and Kalu. Based on Rohrs antecedents. He has used these players and they have fully integrated into the team ethos. Sadly this nations cup comes too early for Samuel Chukwueze. This should be Ahmed Musa's last tournament. He will be replaced by Samuel Chukwueze.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:17am On Apr 06, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's what any good coach would do, club form doesn't automatically transform to country form

It doesn't but still remains the criteria to pick players for the national team. It's after such player fails to impress he can be discarded.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:19am On Apr 06, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Seems Osimhen is injured. Missed the last two matches for his club.

Okay

But I don't think it's serious
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:19am On Apr 06, 2019
Sometimes the way the names of certain players are been mentioned and echoed in this forum will make a newbie think that the mentioned players are the next big thing to come out of this country.

How on earth will someone suggest that azubuike okechukwu will take mikel's place in the afcon team? Mikel aside ndidi is the best midfielder we can boast of currently even at his age and have been in decent form for borough in the championship.

Rohr is not done with mikel and it will be his greatest undoing to ignore mikel's influence and experience for an over hyped okechukwu who is yet to achieve anything tangible since leaving 9ja for turkey.

Igbekeme who is doing very well in the Spanish 2nd tier is not even mentioned, mikel agu who have been decent so far or even resurgent Anderson esiti are good enough to be mentioned but all I see always here when when their is a compilation of possible names to thicken our midfield are names that have underperformed or flattered to deceive.

If okechukwu is as good as hyped in this forum always why haven't any decent Turkish club atleast take notice of him? The last time he ran to Egypt which was an awkward move for a young player who remaining in Europe should be his top priority.

Is azubuike okechukwu better than rijeka's Abdul zubairu who have courted interest from the likes of Ajax and aek athens? Is he better than Igbekeme who have been a revelation in the Spanish 2nd tier and have been linked with a possible move to a team in the Spanish top flight? His he better than mikel agu who have been consistent in the Portuguese league for the past 2 season out on loan from porto? This una hype Don dey begin irritate me I swear!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:19am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

OK bro, I Don see the person wey do list. Apologies.

Lols

No wahala baba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:20am On Apr 06, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Sometimes the way the names of certain players are been mentioned and echoed in this forum will make a newbie think that the mentioned players are the next big thing to come out of this country.

How on earth will someone suggest that azubuike okechukwu will take mikel's place in the afcon team? Mikel aside ndidi is the best midfielder we can boast of currently even at his age and have been in decent form for borough in the championship.

Rohr is not done with mikel and it will be his greatest undoing to ignore mikel's influence and experience for an over hyped okechukwu who is yet to achieve anything tangible since leaving 9ja for turkey.

Igbekeme who is doing very well in the Spanish 2nd tier is not even mentioned, mikel agu who have been decent so far or even resurgent Anderson esiti are good enough to be mentioned but all I see always here when when their is a compilation of possible names to thicken our midfield are names that have underperformed or flattered to deceive.

If okechukwu is as good as hyped in this forum always why haven't any decent Turkish club atleast take notice of him? The last time he ran to Egypt which was an awkward move for a young player who remaining in Europe should be his top priority.

Is azubuike okechukwu better than rijeka's Abdul zubairu who have courted interest from the likes of Ajax and aek athens? Is he better than Igbekeme who have been a revelation in the Spanish 2nd tier and have been linked with a possible move to a team in the Spanish top flight? His he better than mikel agu who have been consistent in the Portuguese league for the past 2 season out on loan from porto? This una hype Don dey begin irritate me I swear!

Lols

You said the fact bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

You have Evidence to back your Claim?! Cos you are simply indicting Mikel as a Dictator who can't be controlled by Rohr.

Please read quotes by Rohr before the games against Seychelles (away), Libya (home and away), South Africa (away). This will give you all the info you need. Mikel is going to Afcon. Azubuike is a fantasy. Besides Rohr said no new invites.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:22am On Apr 06, 2019
Earthquake2:

I don't think that will happen, I don't think Rohr will retire his captain in an unceremonious manner

grin

We are simply debating and no one is sure of what Rohr would come up with - it's down to personal Observations and Expectations.

Mikel not making the AFCON list doesn't translate to being unceremoniously retired from the Squad. Mikel is needed, I agree but behind the Scene - non of us is where of what is transcending.

I wrapped up my mind on Mikel - not likely makes the List - because I did expect his Invitation to the last Matches. He's not injured, playing regularly for his Club, then why didn't he make the list?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:25am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Please read quotes by Rohr before the games against Seychelles (away), Libya (home and away), South Africa (away). This will give you all the info you need. Mikel is going to Afcon. Azubuike is a fantasy. Besides Rohr said no new invites.

grin

Drop the Links or Quotes nah. Goodjoe is known for doing the needful to back up his Submissions, and I expect you to emulate him.

Perhaps I'm missing something and I expect you to shed more light. Some definitely gonna benefitted from it too bruh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:26am On Apr 06, 2019
Truidstar:

Egbon, Na exam question you set so. My own opinion..... Onyekuru, Simon, Musa and Kalu. Based on Rohrs antecedents. He has used these players and they have fully integrated into the team ethos. Sadly this nations cup comes too early for Samuel Chukwueze. This should be Ahmed Musa's last tournament. He will be replaced by Samuel Chukwueze.

Hahahaha! Na just small reasoning. grin

Anyway, l think those questions raised will guide us to know Rohr's antecedents.

Let us see what happens at the end of the day.

Emmm! Point of correction, Ahmed Musa will still play for another 4 years based on his age.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:28am On Apr 06, 2019
Joebie:
You guys are making it seem Samu has nothing on those players. That’s misleading. I’m not attempting to rubbish Onyekuru etc.

If we look closely at both players. Looking at style of play etc, Onyekuru isn’t better than Samu in my opinion.

Put Onyekuru in Villareal and in La Liga and what do you think will happen.

Put Onyekuru in Everton in the EPL and he will in my opinion be largely anonymous.

Put Chukwueze in Galatasaray and do you think he would be more effective than Onyekuru.

Without doubt both players ate outstanding talents one who has done a lot more than the other and has played 2/3 seasons of competitive football.

When you change the team dynamics as well as league and club. You may not necessarily get the same result you had before.

Chukwueze is on a. PHENOMENONAL RISE but this is his first season admittedly with great promise.

How you manage your career at this stage will determine success or failure. Not too long ago people were comparing KC to Aguero, Gabriel even Mbappe. Now all had been exposed to show his true capacity.

The same goes for Isaac Success lots of Hype he will scatter the EPL etc. What is the result a comprehensive WASTE, 3 seasons in the EPL and what can we say?? ❓

So Chukwueze has to be managed very carefully with the right choices. With development the over riding consideration not £££€€€.

But whether he plays Afcon or U20 is irrelevant young players go in any out of junior team yo senior team until they are established. In England Tega Abrahams played for England but now playing U21.

In any case he has limited time to play in the U20 he will be 20 next month.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

We are simply debating and no one is sure of what Rohr would come up with - it's down to personal Observations and Expectations.

Mikel not making the AFCON list doesn't translate to being unceremoniously retired from the Squad. Mikel is needed, I agree but behind the Scene - non of us is where of what is transcending.

I wrapped up my mind on Mikel - not likely makes the List - because I did expect his Invitation to the last Matches. He's not injured, playing regularly for his Club, then why didn't he make the list?!

Look at the last World Cup final 23 list. Was there any major surprise? If not for the fact Moses Simon was injured, Simy Nwankwo would not have made the list. What will make Rohr change over night and start handing invites to every Tom, Dick and Harry? Mikel is going to Afcon, behind the scenes or not.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:29am On Apr 06, 2019
grin

Lawd..... It's difficult to drop Opinion(s) without being countered emotionally. Lol!

Where did I say in my Comments so far, that Azubuike is better than Mikel?! Or compare Players?!

I clearly noted that it is simply "strictly my opinion", yet a Toddler is ranting for no tangible Reason.

Well, I understand how it rolls on this Thread, you can't separate Emotion from it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 06, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Drop the Links or Quotes nah. Goodjoe is known for doing the needful to back up his Submissions, and I expect you to emulate him.

Perhaps I'm missing something and I expect you to shed more light. Some definitely gonna benefitted from it too bruh.

Coach Gernot Rohr has revealed Super Eagles captain, Mikel Obi, is not yet ready for a return to the national team despite featuring regularly for his English Championship side, Middlesbrough

Rohr, speaking at his pre-match conference ahead of todays 2019 AFCON qualifier against Seychelles, explained that Mikel Obi is still nursing an injury on his knee.
He was quoted as saying“Obi Mikel is playing well at Middlesbrough and he is doing well now, but there is still a little problem with his knee and it is not the moment for him to come back to the team in these conditions.
“There are so many games for him to play for Middlesbrough. They are fighting for a promotional playoff spot. And he told me it’s not the right time to return. But if Obi Mikel is very fit and has the motivation, if he shows that he is better than the other people we have, the door is open

“I’m not like Joachim Low (the German coach) who announced that three players are out of the German national team because you never know what might happen. There could be injury or loss of form.

“We are watching what is happening and we hope he (Mikel) can come back one day because we need experience. We now have more young players than the last list,” he disclosed

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5728) (5729) (5730) (5731) (5732) (5733) (5734) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: etebefia, foxman04, Sugarboyy(m), Oasis007(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.