Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5806) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11655695 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5803) (5804) (5805) (5806) (5807) (5808) (5809) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
nelszx:
Top stat from whoscored.com
"With nine apiece, 19-year-old Samuel Chukwueze had more shots and completed more dribbles than any other player in the Europa League quarter-finals.

He and Filip Kostic appear twice in the stat leaders from the two legs combined ��� "
impressive
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
jihday:
una too like conspiracy theory haba, kilode
No mind them Baba... Someone is always against the black man grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2019
Icon4s:

This man you no serious grin

Na picture of person wey dey prepare for match u come post here. grin

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2019
Again, you guys are just comparing only goals and assists. There's more to soccer than goals and assists, folks.

And by the way, I would be interested to see a comparison (goals and assists - in all competitions) between Leo Messi and the 3 top balon d'Or finishers last season. Remember that Messi didn't even make top 3 last years!

O pari

[quote author=alekside post=77679395][/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:22pm On Apr 19, 2019
Bros what do you expect, when even Blatter (the FIFA President at that time) confessed that he extended the ballon d'Or voting deadline in 2013 to help Cristiano win. gosh, he even confessed that he encouraged people to vote for Cristiano Ronaldo!

Why, you might ask? Because the Real Madrid organization and the Madrid pressed wanted to have his head on a platter for saying during an interview that he prefers Messi to Cristiano. So he tried to overcompensate!

O pari

jihday:
una too like conspiracy theory haba, kilode
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2019
Bros, I was actually happy to see Modric win it last year. To me, it was anybody but Cristiano grin

However, if ballon d'or is given to the best player in the world then Messi had the best season in Europe last season. He might have had an average world cup but he had a fantastic season with Barca. And the stats bear that out.

O pari

andrew444:

No politics Modric was a deserved winner ,remember it was a World Cup year ?if Modric didn't win that balon d or ,it belongs to Cr7 and not even Messi

I don't think Liverpool players will be given balon d or even if they win champions league which they won't win .

Should I remind you that sneidjer won the champions league and frank ribery ,Cr7 and Messi took those balon d or

Messi will take the balon d or this time after coming 5th last time

Forget all this politics stuff ,Modric deserves last balon d or

Even if Liverpool won Madrid in that final ,Highest salah can get is making the top 3 ,he won't even dream of winning it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:33pm On Apr 19, 2019
komekn:

I am not sure why you seem to be getting so heated, over a subtle observation.

Nonetheless, you have essentially with much detail confirmed my view, opinion and or observation.

Let me reiterate, I find that people in Agbor are just like many other parts of Nigeria overwhelmingly have given thier children European derived names. Which l think is very sad as a Nigerian.

I gave you the example of Nduka Obiagbiona and asked if his name is Igbo derived. You have answered that question albeit indirectly but still comprehensively.

So what is the core issue ❓ l seems we are delving into the politics of ethnicity, let me presume, that does being Igbo derived in origin or heritage make you Igbo

Quite emphatically the paramount traditional ruler of Agbor has made it VERY RESOUNDINGLY CLEAR that they are not Igbo. Although they without doubt are historically by origin derived from the Igbo ethnicity. His answer is a capital NO.

But in today's contemporary Nigeria and ethnic dynamics they do not consider themselves to be Igbo.

That would be the same position for the Uhrobo/Isoko, Kwale and other somewhat Igbo derived and mixed ethnic groups in Delta state.

Don't presume that l am ignorant that's being condescending. I actually speak Igbo (central) l spent near 5 years at UNN where my Dad lectured for a period. And mixed with a lot of people who speak so many differing dialects it's impossible to number them.

I may have been born in the UK but l can assure you l was made in Warri.

Agbor people,like most eastern Christians give their children native name and a baptismal name that's a common fact you should know. Don't act like you didn't know that. When you meet an Agbor person named Harry ask him his native name.

As for Obi of Agbor, he is basically ignorant and unwise because his people speak Igbo and are still giving their children Igbo names. He urged them not to give their children Igbo names but they are Igbos and don't know otherwise....You don't get it! These people are Igbo just like Ikwerre....They don't have a different identity!! How can you tell a Hausa man to stop giving their children Hausa names?? He even told his subjects to stop wearing Igbo red hat and threatened to send people away...lol. Well, when the current governor of Delta paid him a visit dorning red hat with Igbo title why didn't he send him away...lol. Agbor people denying of Igbo is not different from what Ikwerre do.

And yes, if you are of Igbo ancestry and still speaks Igbo as a first language, then whether you like it or not you are Igbo. Agbor has no history of a lost language.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:49pm On Apr 19, 2019
Icon79:
Bros, I was actually happy to see Modric win it last year. To me, it was anybody but Cristiano grin

However, if ballon d'or is given to the best player in the world then Messi had the best season in Europe last season. He might have had an average world cup but he had a fantastic season with Barca. And the stats bear that out.

O pari

Lol concerning the Modric side

Messi is getting his 6th balon d or this time ,no worry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2019
Amen! That day I will throw a big party!!

O pari

andrew444:

Lol concerning the Modric side

Messi is getting his 6th balon d or this time ,no worry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 3:58pm On Apr 19, 2019
Icon79:
Amen! That day I will throw a big party!!

O pari

If Messi gets his 6th Ballond'or I don't see C. Ronaldo getting his 6th

That means Messi is officially the greatest player of all time!!! grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:00pm On Apr 19, 2019
KPOM!

O pari

Earthquake3:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2019
forgiveness:

Llorente didn't use his hand to aid any goal. The video showed his hand moved away from the ball. It didn't move towards the ball.

But scored with a handball.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:33pm On Apr 19, 2019
jihday:
I understand why you emotional, it's what fans do, however try to be objective, do you want players to start cutting off their hands to avoid handball? read this piece that explains why the goal stood http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/775/blog/post/3829001/explaining-the-var-drama-why-fernando-llorentes-goal-stood-as-spurs-eliminated-man-city?device=featurephone

Sure. He's jumping, his arm is by his side, it's not outstretched... yeah, it's accidental. But I thought IFAB had determined that accidental handballs that lead to a goal would be punished with a free kick ...

They did, albeit with certain caveats. In fact, one of the law changes says that it's a free kick if "a player gains control/possession of the ball after it touches their hand/arm and then scores or creates a goal-scoring opportunity." Another one says it's a free kick if "the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player's hand/arm."

Llorente's situation was between the two scenarios. The ball touched his arm, but then it hit his hip as well before going into the goal. And you can't really say he gained control of the ball after the touch with the arm, but he did benefit from it as it then hit his hip. The thing to remember is that what you just read is irrelevant here; these rules will apply from next season.

From your article, it is clear the person is dribbling around the fact. The point is simple. Llorente's accidental handball led to a goal and should not stand. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:37pm On Apr 19, 2019
Earthquake3:

Sick of manipulations because Ronaldo was clearly the best last season and robbed off his award. So if they want to celebrate Messi as the best after he was given an unfair Ballon d'Or in 2010, they can celebrate the greatest player to themselves but they know the truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:41pm On Apr 19, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

In terms of goals and assists, Messi stood out but the gap was not wide from CR7. However with CR7 being super in the Champions League and claiming it a consecutive third plus his historic game against Juventus and plus his brilliance in the game against Spain at the World Cup, you can not deny him his Ballon D'Or for Messi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

In terms of goals and assists, Messi stood out but the gap was not wide from CR7. However with CR7 being super in the Champions League and claiming it a consecutive third plus his historic game against Juventus and plus his brilliance in the game against Spain at the World Cup, you can not deny him his Ballon D'Or for Messi.

Modric was brilliant through out the world cup and brilliant at the champions league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2019
Earthquake3:

Modric was brilliant through out the world cup and brilliant at the champions league

Modric was not close in form to both Messi and CR7. Heck, I doubt Modric won one man-of-the-match award in the Champions league and I think CR7 won 4. No way was Modric the best player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2019
Icon4s:

This man you no serious grin

Na picture of person wey dey prepare for match u come post here. grin

Since soccer match no dey and you dey house, then equation Don balance, there can still be MATCH.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
Without winning a spoon for Argentina?
Earthquake3:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:58pm On Apr 19, 2019
charlesemeka85:

Thankfully National team trophy is not the only criteria for judging Ballond'or winner
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:59pm On Apr 19, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

That is when you are debating if it is a penalty. It is unfair when a defending player is not making an attempt to stop the opposition from scoring a goal and the ball hits his arm. Especially, if his arm is tuck close and does not make him bigger. In this case, Llorente was the attacking player and use his hand to aid a goal.

The VAR drama there was to check for the possibility of a handball and they refuse to use the angle that clearly shows this. Llorente's arm played a role in scoring the goal. Handball any day. Even the referee knows.

Bros, If I may ask you a certain question (and I mean no offence by it), since when were you a fan of Manchester City?

Its quite rare for any Nigerian to support city. I take it its since Guardiola came right? If so, is it that you're a fan of Guardiola and not city?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:02pm On Apr 19, 2019
Messi can win dozens of balon d ors but in Argentina Diego amando Maradona will always remain their greatest ever! And am not arguing about him emerging as the next balon d or winner but tagging him the greatest of all time I disagree
Earthquake3:

Thankfully National team trophy is not the only criteria for judging Ballond'or winner
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:03pm On Apr 19, 2019
[quote author=alekside post=77679395][/quote]

Should we win the League (I'm a Liverpool fan by the way), Virgil Van Digk deserves the award more.

Had it not being for VVD, may of our matches would end in draws and we may not have been in contention for the Premiership trophy nor would we have gotten to the Semis
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:04pm On Apr 19, 2019
Lucque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRtLRhjriA
How can u leave dis guy out of afcon squad..... I no jus understand

The way they are hyping this boy now ehn....

Hmmm...make I no talk before they tag me hater. Should this guy flop in AFCON after taking him there, some fans for here go call for him head
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2019
andrew444:

They hate pep because he has schooled them over there in the Epl and he is from Barcelona

They also forget conte won the Epl in his first season at Chelsea

Ferdinard doesn't say nonsense he knows what he says and he is not bias like carragher who was crap during his playing days but knows how to criticize a player who is not English ,should I also remind you of Gary Neville ? One of the worst manager in the history of laliga

I don't want to talk about the city game as I respect VAR ,Tottenham are the deserved winners ,football is some how most times

This guy is comparable to Klavan/Lovren. They are one of the worst Liverpool defenders in the last decade or sooo.

Don't mind the fool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:09pm On Apr 19, 2019
The kid is obviously talented but the hype is getting too much and I pray it doesn't affect his development. Even onyekuru who have been massive in the Turkish league doesn't get the attention and hype samu is getting. He should remain with Villarreal if they escape relegation to gain more playing time which will aid his development
darkelf:

The way they are hyping this boy now ehn....

Hmmm...make I no talk before they tag me hater. Should this guy flop in AFCON after taking him there, some fans for here go call for him head
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Messi can win dozens of balon d ors but in Argentina Diego amando Maradona will always remain their greatest ever! And am not arguing about him emerging as the next balon d or winner but tagging him the greatest of all time I disagree

Who should be greatest of all time if I may ask you

Its not Messi's fault that Argentinian FA keep appointing shitty coaches
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:18pm On Apr 19, 2019
do not allow sentiment becloud your sense of reasoning. winning trophies every season for barca coupled with scoring dozens of goals can't make him that. he has to win something tangible atleast the copa america to attain the height of being the greatest. i will recommend you search for videos of argentina's route to winning 1986 world cup for you to know how important and immerse maradona was to achieving that feat. he single handedly won the world cup for his nation which inked his name as their greatest player ever both dead and alive
Earthquake3:

Who should be greatest of all time if I may ask you

Its not Messi's fault that Argentinian FA keep appointing shitty coaches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:23pm On Apr 19, 2019
charlesemeka85:
The kid is obviously talented but the hype is getting too much and I pray it doesn't affect his development. Even onyekuru who have been massive in the Turkish league doesn't get the attention and hype samu is getting. He should remain with Villarreal if they escape relegation to gain more playing time which will aid his development

You just echoed what was on my mind.

Him loosing focus and appearing in too much adverts may affect his training and devt
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 5:24pm On Apr 19, 2019
charlesemeka85:
grin I tire

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 5:27pm On Apr 19, 2019
charlesemeka85:
do not allow sentiment becloud your sense of reasoning. winning trophies every season for barca coupled with scoring dozens of goals can't make him that. he has to win something tangible atleast the copa america to attain the height of being the greatest. i will recommend you search for videos of argentina's route to winning 1986 world cup for you to know how important and immerse maradona was to achieving that feat. he single handedly won the world cup for his nation which inked his name as their greatest player ever both dead and alive

Ok Iniesta, Mueller that won the world cup should have won the Ballond'or

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:29pm On Apr 19, 2019
darkelf:

Bros, If I may ask you a certain question (and I mean no offence by it), since when were you a fan of Manchester City?

Its quite rare for any Nigerian to support city. I take it its since Guardiola came right? If so, is it that you're a fan of Guardiola and not city?

I was a Manchester United fan in 1996. Heck watched Eric Cantona's brilliant goal against Liverpool as a Manchester United fan. Started Supporting City during the time of Kevin Keegan (2001) but was still a Manchester United fan. Later was told by some London dude that I can not love both and stuck with Manchester United. Still had my eyes on City.

I was a die hard Carlos Tevez fan when he was at Boca Juniors. Followed him while in Corinthians and then West Ham. Was overjoyed when he joined Manchester United but the way he was treated at United killed my love for the club after series of things I found wrong.

Tevez moved to City and when Mancini joined, it was a clear sign to move.

I ended my romance with Manchester United in 2010 when all the signs directed me to City. Especially Mancini and Tevez. (Man Cini - - Man City) so perfect. I was a huge fan of Mancini even as a player in Lazio. Followed his coaching Journey from Lazio to Inter Milan.

So I was supporting City even before the arrivals of Aguero, David Silva, Dzeko, Nasri, Yaya, Kolarov etc.

True City fan.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5803) (5804) (5805) (5806) (5807) (5808) (5809) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.