Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,240 members, 7,829,439 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6278) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11751051 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6275) (6276) (6277) (6278) (6279) (6280) (6281) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 9:16pm On Jun 22, 2019
safarigirl:
No be goals, but dem dey count am

Yes yes yes. I remember I was counting his dribbles completed. I did think it was over 10 though.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2019
that Burundi no10 is very young though

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2019
Curtisaxel7:
Let me just assume the sickness issue caused this below par display.

I hope for better next time.

Precisely. I think the illness took a big toll on the team and also the weather too got to the team. I think we should work on systematically getting our players rehydrated during games. This should be part of the training routine. I noticed when the players took water breaks, their concentration picked up.

Iwobi should learn to stay close to the deep lying position to orchestrate plays. He shoikd not work himself too much because of the weather to reduce chances of gassing out which affects his concentration.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 9:19pm On Jun 22, 2019
Technical Players - Look at Chukweze's ball control all the times high balls were lofted his way. Pure Class!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 9:21pm On Jun 22, 2019
Chai pidgin commentary. I wan die for laugh oh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 9:21pm On Jun 22, 2019
iSlayer:
Technical Players - Look at Chukweze's ball control all the times high balls were lofted his way. Pure Class!

But his final ball was poor.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:22pm On Jun 22, 2019
I think Rohr is behaving himself now...At the world cup against Argentina..he made late changes

Today...the changes came on time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:22pm On Jun 22, 2019
Talking about "real quality", we are still yet to see a team in this tournament that has displayed that upfront. Even Egypt with Salah lacked quality upfront against Zimbabwe. Is there room for improvement? definitely. But it's not like everyone is celebrating. We know we have bigger tasks ahead.

Modified
We have 3 points in the bag. That's the most important thing for now

TheGoodJoe:

Is that not what I explained that people wanted to chew me raw? Missing a chance is okay if the team is creating chances. Not crucifying a player for missing.

Burundi showed intent but lacked real quality. Intent is not the deal but quality to make use of the chances, which saved us.

Good we won but we should not let it look like we were the real deal. There is room for improvement, need for us to know our lapses are glaring and we need to tidy our game quickly.

Nice finish from Ighalo, needs commendation but we need to also know Ighalo needs multiple good services to shine. We need to work on making sure we are creating loads to get the best from him.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:23pm On Jun 22, 2019
sontoly:
The coach made many silly mistakes and he nearly paid for it, Mikel should have played deeper and had no business going forward, for once I thought musa is coming in for etebo which shld have allowed Mikel to go deeper and control the mildfied this would have created stability. We could have lost or drawn this game if Burundi had taken their chances.

Secondly I still do not understand the relationship between shehu and rohr, he cannot tell me that shehu was fully fit before this tournament, he knows fully well that the guy is just returning from injury and now he is definitely out of the tournament before it even start.

Had it been we didn't see aina perform people will still say he is not ready .. Lack concentration bla bla bla...

In summary, if we eventually don't get to semi final that coach needs to be booted out.

the injury Shehu had was a blessing in disguise , all the back passes we had in the first half was initiated by him, it showed that he lacked the idea of going forward ... this is not the Shehu we used to know ...i hope Jamilu collins will be fit , to enable Ola Aina play his original Position ... i just commend his fantastic and electrifying performance today .

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 22, 2019
Brother rohr congratulations on your well deserved win but needs to make some changes first from the goalkeeping apkeyi should be change for ezenwa and if ezenwa is not fully fit then make we manage our uzoho aina the main should be played on the right next match this will decide maybe he is a left back of right back...in the midfield I think Mikel needs a rest now at least for now this is gonna be the last tournament with him the subsequent one will be with iwobi so he should be given chance coz my boy was superb today in the attack should not be a problem we should play Musa ighalo and kalu then we switch to 3 5 2
with omerou/ekong been introduced Moses on the left wing back role and ndidi and etebo in the midfield and Musa and chukwuweiser terrorising the defense then we're good to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:24pm On Jun 22, 2019
I totally agree.
gamaliel9:
I think Rohr is behaving himself now...At the world cup against Argentina..he made late changes

Today...the changes came on time

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 9:24pm On Jun 22, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Even if this team gets knocked out in the 2nd round or quarter finals, I will love the nff to keep faith with Rohr. He has his misgivings but the man have really assembled a crop of players that has the qualities to be make the super eagles great again.

Many will say it's just Burundi but it's been long I noticed the cohension and togetherness in this team compared to our previous teams. Also his boldness to throw in young talents in is signs of bravery.

He has stood his ground on the case of local based players in the league by insisting that the countries best players is based in Europe which is the gospel truth unlike our indigineous coaches who believed they can turn an enyimba midfielder to be better than mikel or ndidi. To be honest Rohr have really impressed me since coming on as the teams coach. The future is very bright

If we don't make the semi, regardless of opposition then Rohr race would be considered run.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:25pm On Jun 22, 2019
Just say you want Collins at LB.

sheyishemba:
Brother rohr congratulations on your well deserved win but needs to make some changes first from the goalkeeping apkeyi should be change for ezenwa and if ezenwa is not fully fit then make we manage our uzoho aina the main should be played on the right next match this will decide maybe he is a left back of right back...in the midfield I think Mikel needs a rest now at least for now this is gonna be the last tournament with him the subsequent one will be with iwobi so he should be given chance coz my boy was superb today in the attack should not be a problem we should play Musa ighalo and kalu then we switch to 3 5 2
with omerou/ekong been introduced Moses on the left wing back role and ndidi and etebo in the midfield and Musa and chukwuweiser terrorising the defense then we're good to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:27pm On Jun 22, 2019
safarigirl:
Keshi also started on the wrong footing in 2013, we needed calculators to determine a second round place.

Calm down, half the team is sick

Even me that downplays our chances knows you're saying the truth

Keshi started with trial and error. He then benched Fegor and Nosa. Las las, non-performing players like Onuachu go chop bench

Onuachu should be our third choice behind Ighalo and Osimhen

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:28pm On Jun 22, 2019
zuchyblink:
Replace Akpeyi with Uzoho, replace etebor with
Mikel. Very happy with chukwueze, iwobi, musa and Ighalo combination

With Ezenwa

Uzoho is a no no

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:28pm On Jun 22, 2019
WAtch our future group opponents play on the same link:

http://www.hesgoal.com/news/48762/Guinea_vs_Madagascar_----_ENG.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2019
Why do people hate shehu so much despite the guy putting in a decent shift before he got injured. Not nice at all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2019
Not a big fan of misses PenalGhalo, infact I was about slacking him for fluffing his lines when Musa gave him that great pass, but while I was still typing, the guy scored a striker's goal, so I had to delete what I had typed already.

Honestly, Ighalo's goal was orgasmic. Aina is a jewel.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2019
Triniti:
Why’s Akpeyi always nervous in a match?

I still don't understand

You play regularly in Africa and yet you're jittery in an AFCON tournament

Na wa for the guy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:32pm On Jun 22, 2019
Sportilitica:
Why do people hate shehu so much despite the guy putting in a decent shift before he got injured. Not nice at all

I av come to realize dt no matter what dis set of player performs,dey will receive undue criticism in dis thread

Players like. Shehu,etebo and to.some extent Ogu

I wonder y nobody criticized Mikel...he was not @ his best today smiley

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 9:32pm On Jun 22, 2019
Jarus:

No it wasn't. The game was tight.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:33pm On Jun 22, 2019
Prectega:
angry my analysis ...

Mikel should come in as a sub when we need to defend and slow down the game ...
Onachu is good but there's no synergy between him and the wingers
Ighalo will definitely start the next match, tho he failed to trap a ball given to him by musa, that should be a goal
Personally i think aweziem is a bit better than shehu
Ola is replicating his club form well
Iwobi gases out easily .. The no 10 should be for him ,then Mikel can come in as sub ... Ndidi tho okay had no special performance.. I "ll give by motm to Aina followed by omeruo and chuks

Etebo doing gra gra as usual ... He was just average ..

I think akpeyi is good .. He's just so nervous ... Observe his first save ...

To be honest, this guy is always average for us. His form in leicester is what makes him indispensable

Maybe because of players or formation...I don't know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 9:34pm On Jun 22, 2019
iSlayer:

No it wasn't. The game was tight.

He ended up losing the ball or doing inaccurate pass after almost all the dribbles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:36pm On Jun 22, 2019
Goal for Guinea. Nice one!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:36pm On Jun 22, 2019
elyte89:

I av come to realize dt no matter what dis set of player performs,dey will receive undue criticism in dis thread

Players like. Shehu,etebo and to.some extent Ogu

I wonder y nobody criticized Mikel...he was not @ his best today smiley

Okay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:38pm On Jun 22, 2019
Going forward when Ebuehi must have returned, Aina should be our first choice left back, while Collins serves as his back up. I cant remember the last time we had a LFB so good at both ends.

Attack/defense;

Crosses check
Dribbles check
Passes check
Tackles check
Positioning check

Boy was absolute class

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:38pm On Jun 22, 2019
Jarus:

very poor...inexperience really counted against him....
he missed some final balls that would have led to beautiful moments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:38pm On Jun 22, 2019
darkelf:

To be honest, this guy is always average for us. His form in leicester is what makes him indispensable

Sheyb I dey always talk am for dis thread

But for d fact dt he's having gud records @ Leicester, nobody is bold enuf to criticise him

Today he was a culprit,loosing ball @ will in d middle,etebo cover up for his tracks,he was just average

Like I av said, ndidi has not really impressed me in gwg Jersey, and if I av my way,I prefer ogu to him in dt national team set up

He(ogu) offers something to d midfield... STABILITY cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:38pm On Jun 22, 2019
Bros ndidi played very well. He was voted man of the match. His combo with etebo was good and he is miles better than onazi
darkelf:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:39pm On Jun 22, 2019
This Guinea team is playing purposefully , we will have a handful of Sory Kamba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:40pm On Jun 22, 2019
Until when will Rohr understand that it's pointless playing Iwobi on the wing??
Why leave out natural wingers like Musa and Onyekuru for Iwobi Mikel should start from the bench in the next game abeg..Etebo with all his gra gra football will be really useful for his given his pace and stamina...Iwobi should play AMF...
As for Aina,I'm glad he has finally gotten the memo... He was impressive all through.. Going forward and defending... That's the kind performance we have all been clamouring for....

Akpeyi meanwhile is a calamity waiting to happy. I dunno why he gets so nervous and shakily when he puts on the GWG..abi na him village people dy follow am around??

Chukwueze was pure joy!! what a baller!!!

Overall it was a good performance from the team...Burundi almost succeed with their plan if not for some luck on our side. I expect a better performance on Wednesday against Guinea.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheGoodJoe:
komekn, you have any idea about this Samuel Edozie kid?

There are too many Nigerian kids across all the academies in England.

All of them are looking for the next Mbappe VERY SERIOUSLY and the reality is that next Mbappe will not be white. He will be African black origin.

They are fighting over 9/10 year old players. That's the level of interest.

Personally l would not have advised him to go to Manchester city. First of City buys way too many teenage players from across the globe. Opportunity is very limited in the club.

He should have gone to another Championship side but a football playing one like Derby or West Bromwich, Fulham or Swansea. He can easily get lost and forgotten in City.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6275) (6276) (6277) (6278) (6279) (6280) (6281) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheSuperNerd(m), Ajd19 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.