Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6434) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11632629 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6431) (6432) (6433) (6434) (6435) (6436) (6437) ... (16138) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2019
andrew444:

There is nothing to learn sir as its not below 1998

Have you seen me arguing with anyone about super eagles of 1994 or 1998 ? I have not even start arguing about the early 2000s that's I watched

You will hardly see me involve in anything that deals with the old eagles

There is a lot to learn.

In fact if you didn't follow football up to 2000 then it means u missed the Golden era of Nigerian Football which has been the yardstick with which our performances today are compared.

We are what we are today in football because of our successes in the 1980s and 90s.

A lot of young people were too young to follow football then but through various means they have partly made up for it by learning about what happened in that era. So there is a lot for you to learn about that era bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:31pm On Jul 03, 2019
Earthquake3:

Ezenwa did well in his last game

You want to dump Akpeyi who kept two clean sheets for Ezenwa that conceded 2goals in his last game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Good point my nigga. Cameroonians will neutralize the little threat Ighalo possess.

Honestly, I am pretty done with this AFCON as regards to Eagles. The team can barely play 5 clean passes. I will take a beautiful football to winning matches any day. I dont even want Clarence Seedorf to lose to a crappy Oyibo coach. More Black Europeans should coach Super Eagles.

The same issue in pre-WC friendlies

The same issue at the WC proper

The same issue at AFCON tourney

Its like Rohr doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Its really painful angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
darkelf:

The kind of red eyes that gives you one nil wins against opponents that you're expected to beat isn't red eyes but yellow eyes which is a manifestation of Jaundice. grin cheesy

Until the team gets a good coach and starts playing good football again, I'll stick to been pessimistic about their chances because truthfully (and even you will agree) that they haven't inspired confidence in the two major tournaments so far which may be Rohr's fault.

You're consistent in pessimism

I give you that grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:33pm On Jul 03, 2019
Taliban:

Got you, what brand of indomie do you like grin cheesy

Lol

I don't eat indomie o

Dat one no be food

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:34pm On Jul 03, 2019
Icon4s:

There is a lot to learn.

In fact if you didn't follow football up to 2000 then it means u missed the Golden era of Nigerian Football which has been the yardstick with which our performances today are compared.

We are what we are today in football because of our successes in the 1980s and 90s.

A lot of young people were too young to follow football then but through various means they have partly made up for it by learning about what happened in that era. So there is a lot for you to learn about that era bro.

I follow football from 2002

Very very little of 1998 with my dad

Yes everybody is still learning
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:34pm On Jul 03, 2019
Icon4s:

You want to dump Akpeyi who kept two clean sheets for Ezenwa that conceded 2goals in his last game.

How are those goals his fault?

The person who should be dropped is Balogun. It seems his lack of game time in Brighton has started manifesting. Now, opposition will look to exploit him should he start.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:36pm On Jul 03, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Good point my nigga. Cameroonians will neutralize the little threat Ighalo possess.

Honestly, I am pretty done with this AFCON as regards to Eagles. The team can barely play 5 clean passes. I will take a beautiful football to winning matches any day. I dont even want Clarence Seedorf to lose to a crappy Oyibo coach. More Black Europeans should coach Super Eagles.

In a tournament I will take winning Matches to beautiful football any day.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:37pm On Jul 03, 2019
Earthquake3:

You're consistent in pessimism

I give you that grin

Na Rohr dey cause am bro cheesy grin

Once we get a good coach that not only plays good football but gets us the desired results, watch me change my position on the SE but till then, pessimism all the way. Can't keep on getting my hopes dashed by sloppy play smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:38pm On Jul 03, 2019
Icon4s:

Which of them were remotely his fault? Ezenwa exuded confidence in his last game and I want him to continue

Akpeyi kept two clean sheets quite alright but all the talk was about him and his shakiness in front of goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:38pm On Jul 03, 2019
Icon4s:

We can have both with the right coach and players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:39pm On Jul 03, 2019
darkelf:

Na Rohr dey cause am bro cheesy grin

Once we get a good coach that not only plays good football but gets us the desired results, watch me change my position on the SE but till then, pessimism all the way. Can't keep on getting my hopes dashed by sloppy play smiley

No you started from the U20 to pre AFCON to AFCON

You are a man of your principles grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:41pm On Jul 03, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Not a bad thought marvellous Basco. But the Wafu tournament would have to be so lucrative to attract the best of our west African talents abroad. But again, won't that mean less opportunities for the home based lads? Okay... They still got CHAN yes... But would that be enough? #Justsaying

Well u have to understand that I was in 2 different trains of thought. First I mentioned having the tournament which would be a one off event and then I went into saying that WAFU separating from CAF could do better for the region.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:41pm On Jul 03, 2019
andrew444:

Lol

I don't eat indomie o

Dat one no be food

Okay, what brand of Akpu do you like? cheesy

I would not recommend the Ghanaian brand though smiley

It has been scientifically proven to reconstruct the facial morphology of the consumer grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by naturecures: 4:42pm On Jul 03, 2019
Rohr by now must understand Ighalo has been studied and will be caged by Cameroon in Saturday. An intelligent person will use a very unpredictable Osimehen who will actually break the opponent heart. who REMEMBER that guy when U23 needed the most.
Osimehen to the rescue.

Chukwueze is needed against the Lions of Cameroon, he's a match winner. People are saying Jam body, this guy took on Ramos Marcelo, and taught Barcelona defense deep lesson. I doubt Rohr ever watched him against big teams.

I won't speak much, whatever Rohr likes let him do. whether counterfeit or genuine he must win Cameroon. Period

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2019
Stephen Odey showing his new teammate what he is about....

https://twitter.com/stevenOdey31/status/1146378526771298304

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2019
Earthquake3:

No you started from the U20 to pre AFCON to AFCON

You are a man of your principles grin

Okay Sorry

Na Aigbogun, Falcon coach and Rohr cause am cheesy

Just too much disappointments to bear for one fan grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:44pm On Jul 03, 2019
Curtisaxel7:
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the end of the road. If we miraculously survive Cameroon, we are up against Egypt on home ground. And there is simply no bloody way we're getting past them. Not with a dumb archaic septuagenarian at the helms. From this moment, I don commot mind from SE and AFCON, I just dey wait make season start.

I only pity the young talented players (Osimhen, Henry et al) who are being robbed of the opportunity to use this tournament as a launching pad for thier careers. It's such a pity.

The upside to this is that the NFF will be forced to sack Rohr for disgracing us before the world. Bye bye Onigbinde!

First of all I don't think Rohr has done badly he may not be adventurous.

But let's be honest do we have any real top players in our team, none of our strikers are game changers.

Considering the players available to Rohr he has done well. I don't think the inclusion of Osimhen and or Onyekuru would have made any major difference.

I am sure the coaching team have seen the players in training and used that to make thier selection.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2019
BascoVanVeli:
Stephen Odey showing his new teammate what he is about....

https://twitter.com/stevenOdey31/status/1146378526771298304

Chai

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2019
naturecures:
Rohr by now must understand Ighalo has been studied and will be caged by Cameroon in Saturday. An intelligent person will use a very unpredictable Osimehen who will actually break the opponent heart. who REMEMBER that guy when U23 needed the most.
Osimehen to the rescue.

Chukwueze is needed against the Lions of Cameroon, he's a match winner. People are saying Jam body, this guy took on Ramos Marcelo, and taught Barcelona defense deep lesson. I doubt Rohr ever watched him against big teams.

I won't speak much, whatever Rohr likes let him do. whether counterfeit or genuine he must win Cameroon. Period

Many have advocated for this but stubborn Rohr won't listen

Ighalo is very predictable and can be caged. He is a one-dimensional kind of player

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2019
darkelf:

Okay Sorry

Na Aigbogun, Falcon coach and Rohr cause am cheesy

Just too much disappointments to bear for one fan grin

grin You have suffered my brother
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:46pm On Jul 03, 2019
Icon4s:

Agreed without reservation or question.

Better to win ugly than to loose beautifully.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:47pm On Jul 03, 2019
Earthquake3:

grin You have suffered my brother

As in ehn

Na only Liverpool and the performance of their players dey give me glimmer of hope for football now

Can't wait for next season

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:48pm On Jul 03, 2019
darkelf:

We can have both with the right coach and players

Yes of course. Having both is the deal. But if I will have to chose 1 it will be winning without playing beautiful football.

You see, the truth about Nigerian fans is you can only have been adjudged to have played beautiful football if you had won. Play all the ticki-tacka and get 20 shots on target with all either saved by the goalie of hit bar. And your opponent gets only one chance and scores it, they will say the opponents were better.

If you watched Algiers 90, that was the tournament I will say the Super Eagles played the worst football in any AFCON. We would score an early goal and park the bus. My heart was always in my mouth all through that tourney. But they still got to the final where they lost 1-0 to hosts Algeria. But after every win, the team was praised to high heavens.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:51pm On Jul 03, 2019
darkelf:

Many have advocated for this but stubborn Rohr won't listen

Ighalo is very predictable and can be caged. He is a one-dimensional kind of player

I watched him week in week out at Watford and he had a storming season then he lost form and went for bags of money in China.

But predictable he is not and certainly not one dimensional.

The service that he gets in the SE determines the way he plays. Service from the midfield has not been very good.

Ndidi is an exceptional DM but he is not a playmaker and his passing range is limited and as such he struggles to turn from defensive to offensive.

Our team is limited and that limits what our strikers can do. Above average in the African context but not much beyond that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:57pm On Jul 03, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

If this thread existed in 2013... These are the certain reactions/events:

- Most certainly our resident Senegalese-Ivorian, Chriskels would predict a 3-0 bashing for Keshi's Super Eagles based on how highly he rates Ivorian talents based in Europe.

- Joebie will play Mr Bonafide Realist as always and predict a loss for Nigeria without batting an eyelid. And he will say it is based on our group stage performances so far. In his own words, "We haven't played well or scored much goals".

- Darkelf will most certainly declare that we are doomed for defeat and will be waiting in a dark corner composing his latest "I TOLD YOU SO" Speech. grin

- Earthquake3 will set a bet on Nigeria losing and even go with how many goals we will concede. Lol

- Mickael2 will give tactical reasons why we stand no chance against CIV.

- Bascovanveli will predict a win for Nigeria with no logical reason and people will say he is being crazily patriotic again.

- Icon4s will remind everyone of history pointing to how Nigeria should not be underrated but won't be taken seriously.

- TheGoodJoe will propose how we can take on the Ivorians to produce a shock. He will ask for more dare and risk takings. He will propose we play Omeruo but Icon4s may feel a little uneasy about it due to the Experience talk but he will eventually concede because it would be Keshi's decision in the end.

- Seeing Sunday Mba on that Starting XI list will shock most fans and they will be like, "Is Keshi mad? Who in the hell is Sunday Mba?? In short.. we have lost!"
But they will all change mouth when Mba scores the winner later on.

- Nigeria scores for 1-0 and fans say, "Wow! Looks like we will win this if it stays like this."

- CIV equalises and fans say, "Ahhh... They have woken up! We will lose 3-1 Las Las."

- Mba scores 2-1 and Nigeria wins. Fans say, "I knew we could do it! Naija for life!"

We are a funny people my dear Jihday Sir....

In short,if we has lost that game, nobody will be saying Keshi was a better tactician than Rohr is ..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2019
Icon4s:

There is a lot to learn.

In fact if you didn't follow football up to 2000 then it means u missed the Golden era of Nigerian Football which has been the yardstick with which our performances today are compared. .

Once again agreed.

Very few if any of the present Eagles would displace the 1996 - 2000 set.

For instance as good as Ndidi is he is not as good as Oliseh.

Who can stand with Taribo

Who can stand with Yekini, Ikpeba

Who can stand with Finidi.

Too mention a few, unfortunately our football has regressed but our enthusiasm and expectations have INCREASED. As a result we are going to be disappointed � for some time to come.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:05pm On Jul 03, 2019
iSlayer:

There's a level of ignorance I'll encounter I won't bother saying pim. No need.

2 things distinguished men's football from the women's game.. The technicality and the football wits. The men beat the women by a planet's distance. Women are so so far away, putting the men and women side by side will be like playing the men alongside kids.. The US women look good only because they're playing their fellow women.

Add to the instances you gave, the US Women were beaten comfortably 5-2 by U15 boys o. The Australia Women team were once beaten 7-0 by college boys, non professional footballers.

People are unbelievable. Really.

Bro..I just weak grin ..The guy was either talking out of ignorance or frustration...
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 5:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
klexycole:

And if we play Egypt what's the big deal here? Why should we use a calculator when we've already qualified? You have no point here, sir.

Sincerely, everyone is just looking for a way to blame or downcast the Eagles. Yes, they haven't been exceptional, but this is unfair because we are not out yet.

Nigerians are really hard to please.

Bros no take am personal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:18pm On Jul 03, 2019
iSlayer:

There's a level of ignorance I'll encounter I won't bother saying pim. No need.

2 things distinguished men's football from the women's game.. The technicality and the football wits. The men beat the women by a planet's distance. Women are so so far away, putting the men and women side by side will be like playing the men alongside kids.. The US women look good only because they're playing their fellow women.

Add to the instances you gave, the US Women were beaten comfortably 5-2 by U15 boys o. The Australia Women team were once beaten 7-0 by college boys, non professional footballers.

People are unbelievable. Really.

One mumu too in my area was arguing with me sweating profusely dt US female national team will defeat us too,I just dey laff d guy grin grin grin,aw possible is dt
Except if dey re rules binding us not make tackles or contest d ball with dem..since dey re females, den dey can win grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2019
Before you people start to judge Rohr, please first answer this question, can any player in super eagles score free kick or long range shot like Egypt Salah?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6431) (6432) (6433) (6434) (6435) (6436) (6437) ... (16138) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TradingGod, villagereporter(m), Meliforme, Joezinho, Philosopher1979, elyte89, chrisooblog, KpagoGIN(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.