Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6495) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11778912 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6492) (6493) (6494) (6495) (6496) (6497) (6498) ... (16193) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:03am On Jul 07, 2019
iSlayer:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9777082_tmpcam2646723873607727850_jpegdc18a32fc64797a14297a28887f6a0dc

See how high a skreppy coach like Amodu is on the board. *Spits*
Where did you get these numbers from? Are they competitive games or does it include friendlies.
Besides, you need to put some respeck on Amodu's name.
Rohr is yet to surpass the guy yet you're disrespecting him this way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:13am On Jul 07, 2019
kellycute:
stop saying "we" cos u are not part of us Mr "I told u so". EP!

Hey u boy! Whats with this incessant attacks nah, free the boy. Give am breathing space, abi u wan chase am commot from here?

Wait oo! No be u bn dey wish the team evil just bkus Nacho was dropped?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:18am On Jul 07, 2019
naturecures:
I read someone comment Chwuks did not effect our game or goals. chai.

Sentiments aside, did anyone noticed how our players were always finding Sammy? for havocs and scoring chances be made.

it is glaring that our players have their choice of player. I dare to say the moment Samuel came in, the midfielders and attackers charged up that even when Seedoff saw it he immediately made a substitution to double their defending from the left flank just because a beast was unleashed.

I'm not very versatile in soccer but I do know the best form of defence is to attack. I don't want to see our only victor moses on the bench again. Rohr can sub him for Onyekuru when he is fatigue and I trust Ndidi to shade the right back when necessary if winger could not track back on time.

Rohr must stop absorbing panics and threat from opponents, but instead he should make oppositions defenders be busy throughout, suffer them using the wings while Iwobi will free to move in the middle untill there is a goal rush.

Whenever Ighalo is tired bring in Osimehen. simple ... or does he needs a prophet to tell that?.

please Mr. Kanu must always be on the Field I saw him doing some mathematics with a coaching staff yesterday. a remembered he was a game reader in those days.

He is trynna defend the "-1" that was yanked off for Chucks grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 7:20am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O382hxJSqGw

I believe this is the match where Tijani scored a brace against SA

Sweet goals too

pls pass this video to rohr, this is how we use to beat south africa then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:23am On Jul 07, 2019
Let's be honest here, Chuks introduction had no effect on the 2 Goals scored. He was tamed prior to the Goals and couldn't have a successful Dribble.

Also, he wasn't tracking back enough to cover up for Awaziem, which caused Awaziem to bag a yellow Card.

Mandjeck was subbed off for Anguissa because he's on yellow card and might be red-carded if he committed more Fouls which are so likely in the Game.

Chuks became lively after the 2 Goals. He did wonderfully well and was outstanding in the latter part of the Game.

Do I want him start ahead of Moses against South Africa? tactically NO! If our RB is Tyrone, even Shehu, I wouldn't mind. I will still start Moses ahead of him, but will definitely play him in the Match.

I was craving for the Inclusion of Osimhen, but at this Juncture, Ighalo has my full support. We are in the Quarter Final, thus we need to play familiar Faces than testing a new Player at this Stage of the Tournament. However, I wouldn't mind Osimhen to be a direct Sub for Igbalo.

In the next Match, I will go again with the same Lineup, coz we have no other choice at the moment. I can't risk playing unfit Players as a Coach at this Stage.

Tactically, I wish Rohr can switch to 3 - 5 - 2 Formation, with the same Lineup. Backline should be Awaziem, Ekong and Omeruo.
Wingbacks should be Moses and Aina. Then a Pivot of Ndidi and Etebo as DMs with Iwobi playing as an AM.

Musa as a SS and Ighalo leading the Line. Best of Luck to the Eagles against Bafana Bafana.

Note: this is strictly personal Opinions/Observations, any contrary view is welcomed. Everyone is free to critique or fault my Submissions, but pls in a civil Manner.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 7:23am On Jul 07, 2019
Jarus:

Tijani Babangida counter

I can't forget this game. I dey SS3
make una take una take time dey respect elders for here o! when person don enter year two for uni, kilode

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:26am On Jul 07, 2019
ChrisKels:

Hey u boy! Whats with this incessant attacks nah, free the boy. Give am breathing space, abi u wan chase am commot from here?

Wait oo! No be u bn dey wish the team evil just bkus Nacho was dropped?
i vexed for Rohr for dropping nacho like a normal nacho fan but I later changed my mind na. U nor see my post before nation cup start say I go support the team fully? My guy leave me make I finish darkelf cos he own don too much.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 7:27am On Jul 07, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
I was still in Primary School.... Lol

if I hear you make noise for here again you go chop cane o lol, remove your hand from your pocket and say sir grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 7:28am On Jul 07, 2019
Impressive victory against a physical, skillfull and defensively solid Cameroun team.

I'll opine that we won not because of Rohr's technical brilliance but naivety and poor game management from Clarence Seedorf and the Camerounian players.

At 2-1 up, Cameroun just needed to adopt the Madagascar template. . .manage the game by sitting back, doubling down, committing more to defense, picking their passes & attacks and hitting on the counter.

I was surprised when the 2nd half resumed and Cameroun came all gung-ho looking for a 3rd goal. Immediately, I saw this approach, I was happy and said to myself, 'we fit equalise and win this game".

Playing an open game, pressing and committing men forward against the present Super Eagles is suicidal. African teams that have beaten us in recent times have done it on the back foot. Think South Africa & Madagascar.

Clarence Seedorf is a brave coach but he needs to know when to adopt attacking and defensive tactics.

Now back to the Super Eagles. . . .Despite the victory, I dare say the best game we've played in this tournament was against Guinea. In fact, Nigeria-Guinea is the best game play I've seen from the team in a long while.

Still, I'll take a victory anyhow it comes.

Congrats to the Super Eagles, Nigerians and Nigeria.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:28am On Jul 07, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Egbon, please stop this Kain talk. Chukwueze's introduction got the Camerounian bench panicky and they responded immediately by bringing on Anguissa. Anguissa came in to offer more bodies in Cameroun's midfield and defence so as to keep a hold of the game but already Chuks was already drawing players out of position with his off the ball movements entering passing channels that drew about two players with him on Seedorf's new instruction thus creating that space on the right exploited by Awaziem who had all the time in the world to whip in that beauty of a cross that met the chest of musa and was put on a platter into Iggy's path and Viola!!! Nigeria equalises!

So, his immediate impact started with his off-the-ball movements before he started seeing more of the ball and creating chances upon chances that would have fetched Ighalo four goals in all... One was that sumptuously creative pass that beat over five camerounians locating Iggy who was one on one with Onana and another was from a beautiful corner cross to Ighalo which Onana managed saved on the goal line.

So Egbon, from the moment, Chuks came in, yes, the game did change as balance was altered.

They give the lame excuse that Simon helps the defense, buh from the bolded Chuks offered the best form of defense, "attack". He did this by drawing players out of position to give Awaziem room for forays, and this(act of drawing players out) automatically created pocket of spaces behind the Plantainians backline for Ighalo and Musa to pounce.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bunique: 7:29am On Jul 07, 2019
I noticed during the 2nd half Musa was drifting more to the center even before the equalizer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:36am On Jul 07, 2019
''The question is easy to answer, you know when you have some offensive players like Oyongo, the left-back from Cameroon, who is coming forward all the time and you have an offensive strong player like Chukwueze but defensively not so good like Simon Moses, who plays in his club a more defensive position because they play 3-5-2.

''He's playing on the right or the left side, so we decided to start like this to have stability in the team and to bring in Chukwueze in the good moment. He came in after 16 minutes in the second half.

'"I don't believe that it changed the result but it helped us to win and to score the two goals.''

- Gernot Rohr

Cc ChrisKels, SuperNerd, Humility017, Forgiveness, Charlesemeka85.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 7:41am On Jul 07, 2019
On YouTube someone said that Egyptians cannot afford to go to the games. If that's true the stadia are likely empty because tickets are too expensive.

The cheapest ticket is 150 EGP which is ~N3,200 or CFA5,200

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:44am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:
Let's be honest here, Chuks introduction had no effect on the 2 Goals scored. He was tamed prior to the Goals and couldn't have a successful Dribble.

Also, he wasn't tracking back enough to cover up for Awaziem, which caused Awaziem to bag a yellow Card.

Mandjeck was subbed off for Anguissa because he's on yellow card and might be red-carded if he committed more Fouls which are so likely in the Game.

Chuks became lively after the 2 Goals. He did wonderfully well and was outstanding in the latter part of the Game.

The bolded sums it up, bkus he left Awaziem to do his job, while he focused on pegging back Onyongo who was having a great game surging forward prior Chucks introduction, this forced Bassogog to track back, hence living Awaziem with a layout to put in that delicious cross. Thanks for pointing that out. When Simon was there Onyongo and Bassogog were taking turns raping our RB and RW, but the introduction of Chucks forced Onyongo to retreat living Bassogog at the mercy of Awaziem. Awaziem played better with Chucks ahead of him. Chucks changed the game. KPOM

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:50am On Jul 07, 2019
ChrisKels:

The bolded sums it up, bkus he left Awaziem to do his job, while he focused on pegging back Onyongo who was having a great game surging forward prior Chucks introduction, this forced Bassogog to track back, hence living Awaziem with a layout to put in that delicious cross. Thanks for pointing that out. When Simon was there Onyongo and Bassogog were taking turns raping our RB and RW, but the introduction of Chucks forced Onyongo to retreat living Bassogog at the mercy of Awaziem. Awaziem played better with Chucks ahead of him. Chucks changed the game. KPOM

grin

Do you recall it was Njie playing on the LW for Cameroon before their first Goal?! Njie was silent, squeezed off the Game by the Combo of Awaziem and Simon.

A tweak in the Tactics by Seedorf worked for them later in the Match, cos Njie was moved to the Right Wing.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:50am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:
''The question is easy to answer, you know when you have some offensive players like Oyongo, the left-back from Cameroon, who is coming forward all the time and you have an offensive strong player like Chukwueze but defensively not so good like Simon Moses, who plays in his club a more defensive position because they play 3-5-2.

''He's playing on the right or the left side, so we decided to start like this to have stability in the team and to bring in Chukwueze in the good moment. He came in after 16 minutes in the second half.

'"I don't believe that it changed the result but it helped us to win and to score the two goals.''

- Gernot Rohr

Cc ChrisKels, SuperNerd, Humility017, Forgiveness, Charlesemeka85.

From the first paragraph, what was needed to stop Onyongo from coming forward was a daring winger not a defensive one. Chuks came in and Onyongo stopped the forward movements, the the threat Onyongo was posing got nullified instantly. With a defensive winger, Onyongo was always in our own half hence, taking the fight to our dormot, but Chucks came in, and sent him back to his own half, and that gave us the Victory. KPOM

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:52am On Jul 07, 2019
ChrisKels:

From the first paragraph, what was needed to stop Onyongo from coming forward was a daring winger not a defensive one. Chuks came in and Onyongo stopped the forward movements, the the threat Onyongo was posing got nullified instantly. With a defensive winger, Onyongo was always in our own half hence, taking the fight to our dormot, but Chucks came in, and sent him back to his own half, and that gave us the Victory. KPOM

grin

I don't have Strength to argue like some Peeps here..... Lol!
All in all, we won the Match, I guess we should shift Attention to the next Match.

Shalom.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

Sweet goals too
mehn no be today we start to dey blow trumpet oo shocked

Babangida is just like Musa of today

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:55am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Do you recall it was Njie playing on the LW for Cameroon before their first Goal?! Njie was silent, squeezed off the Game by the Combo of Awaziem and Simon.

A tweak in the Tactics by Seedorf worked for them later in the Match, cos Njie was moved to the Right Wing.

Sorry bro, but, u didnt see the game. Njie started as the LW, when they conceded, he moved to the right wing, where he subsequently got their second goal. Go rewatch the match.

BTW, where did the 1st goal against us come from? Our defensively right side grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:58am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

I don't have Strength to argue like some Peeps here..... Lol!
All in all, we won the Match, I guess we should shift Attention to the next Match.

Shalom.

Good morning bro. Na the facts I table u so, not feelings.

Happy Sunday
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 7:58am On Jul 07, 2019
Good morning all, I dare say any team that comes out to play open and expansive football in this afcon go chop am....we have enough fire power to do damage even on the bench...

Sit back and employ Madagascan defensive style, if you even wanna try....but if you come out like Cameroon did and wants to score more goals grin my friend you go CHOP AM...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 7:58am On Jul 07, 2019
semid4lyfe:
Impressive victory against a physical, skillfull and defensively solid Cameroun team.

I'll opine that we won not because of Rohr's technical brilliance but naivety and poor game management from Clarence Seedorf and the Camerounian players.

At 2-1 up, Cameroun just needed to adopt the Madagascar template. . .manage the game by sitting back, doubling down, committing more to defense, picking their passes & attacks and hitting on the counter.

I was surprised when the 2nd half resumed and Cameroun came all gung-ho looking for a 3rd goal. Immediately, I saw this approach, I was happy and said to myself, 'we fit equalise and win this game".

Playing an open game, pressing and committing men forward against the present Super Eagles is suicidal. African teams that have beaten us in recent times have done it on the back foot. Think South Africa & Madagascar.

Clarence Seedorf is a brave coach but he needs to know when to adopt attacking and defensive tactics.

Now back to the Super Eagles. . . .Despite the victory, I dare say the best game we've played in this tournament was against Guinea. In fact, Nigeria-Guinea is the best game play I've seen from the team in a long while.

Still, I'll take a victory anyhow it comes.

Congrats to the Super Eagles, Nigerians and Nigeria.
didn't see this Cameroon game, but we played very well against guinea, they barely had the ball we harassed and chased them when they had the ball, defensively we were near perfect I think we should go for that CB pairing again in our next game unless we'll be playing 3 @ the back
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:00am On Jul 07, 2019
ChrisKels:

Sorry bro, but, u didnt see the game. Njie started as the LW, when they conceded, he moved to the right wing, where he subsequently got their second goal. Go rewatch the match.

BTW, where did the 2goals against us come from? Our defensively right side grin

Did you read my Post at all?!

You can't pin the blame of the first Goal on Simon or/and Awaziem. A good Crossing was made, not that they were dribbled off Position, but our Defence failed to intercept and clear the Danger grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:01am On Jul 07, 2019
ChrisKels:

Good morning bro. Na the facts I table u so, not feelings.

Happy Sunday

grin

Actually I'm enjoying the Discourse, but I've got to attend to some Important Issues and don't wanna be pegged on the Thread.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:06am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:

Did you read my Post at all?!

You can't pin the blame of the first Goal on Simon or/and Awaziem. A good Crossing was made, not that they were dribbled off Position, but our Defence failed to intercept and clear the Danger grin

Here is ur post;

Oasis007:

Yes I read ur post, Njie didnt get moved to the Right Wing in the later stages of the match but, in the first half, and that tweak birthed their second goal, scored by same Njie in the first half, from the right wing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 8:08am On Jul 07, 2019
And you people should try not to paint one player bad to praise another.....I didn't see a bad player yesterday, well except for the 2 goals which I would blame omeruo for...

Simon Moses has been one of our strongest performer in this Afcon, saying anything contrary is blasphemous....he has continually put up a very brave defensive display for the Super Eagles, I don't know if any of you guys ever play football, but if you wanna know how valuable Simon is, kindly call awaziem and ask him about Simon.....that guy is any right backs dream.....

But like I said yesterday, in that match, we don't need to defend much and as such chukwueze was clearly needed, infact if it was onyekuru that came on, we would have still scored because that Cameroon team was not a team to DEFEND against but ATTACK at every opportunity....

Moses Simon great game, Peter Etebo great game, all the super eagles players gave a great fight yesterday....I had a good night sleep....unto South Africa....

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:08am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

Actually I'm enjoying the Discourse, but I've got to attend to some Important Issues and don't wanna be pegged on the Thread.

Ok, no wahala. I am back from church already. 5:30mass
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 8:18am On Jul 07, 2019
Goke7:

make una take una take time dey respect elders for here o! when person don enter year two for uni, kilode

year 2 and SS3 no dey different nah.

I repeat class for pry 2, if not nah year 1 I go dey for uni. and I start school late sef.

so we fit be mate o cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bash92(m): 8:26am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

Sweet goals too
Was in Primary school during this Ghana/Nigeria afcon. I can never forget that final and seing Oliseh crying like a baby, I burst to tears after the penalty shoot. I could only stop crying after dad told me it will be replayed, till date we never replay am. Just like someone mentioned earlier Cameroon are our major rival in Africa, Ghana and South Africa follow from behind. Good luck to us in the against South Africa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:29am On Jul 07, 2019
Jarus:

year 2 and SS3 no dey different nah.

I repeat class for pry 2, if not nah year 1 I go dey for uni. and I start school late sef.

so we fit be mate o cheesy grin

Make una no dey intimidate us nah grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:29am On Jul 07, 2019
Gustav25 is viewing but not commenting, since this AFCON, whoever knack an Uratta man this kind ban, no get joy grin

Be like say na after AFCON dem go lift my man ban lwkmd ooo grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:45am On Jul 07, 2019
forgiveness:

Chukwueze didn't change any game. In fact, he had no hand in the 2 goals.

The dynamic of the whole game changed after the two goals because the Camerounians began to chase the game with many players thrown forward leaving their defence exposed.

I just watched the replay now. Chukwueze barely did anything with the ball before the two goals were scored.

You said Simon was bereft in the final third. Maybe, you should watch the game again.

The way objectivity and rational are thrown to the dogs anytime a favoured player is mentioned, has become a trend here.

And we begin to give accolades for nothing.

And when you don't join the emotive hallelujah praise singers for thier favoured player you are labelled a HATER.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6492) (6493) (6494) (6495) (6496) (6497) (6498) ... (16193) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: komekn(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.