Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6496) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11675057 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6493) (6494) (6495) (6496) (6497) (6498) (6499) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 8:49am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O382hxJSqGw

I believe this is the match where Tijani scored a brace against SA

Sweet goals too

Babangida was on drugs in this game. The guy practically dismantled SA on the night. Total demolishion job by Tijani, all thanks to Bonfere with the stroke of genius switching him over to torment the SA right back.
I used to bang people silly on Playstation one with Babangida and Amokachi on winning eleven. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 8:49am On Jul 07, 2019
Starboytwo:
And you people should try not to paint one player bad to praise another.....I didn't see a bad player yesterday, well except for the 2 goals which I would blame omeruo for...

Simon Moses has been one of our strongest performer in this Afcon, saying anything contrary is blasphemous....he has continually put up a very brave defensive display for the Super Eagles, I don't know if any of you guys ever play football, but if you wanna know how valuable Simon is, kindly call awaziem and ask him about Simon.....that guy is any right backs dream.....

But like I said yesterday, in that match, we don't need to defend much and as such chukwueze was clearly needed, infact if it was onyekuru that came on, we would have still scored because that Cameroon team was not a team to DEFEND against but ATTACK at every opportunity....

Moses Simon great game, Peter Etebo great game, all the super eagles players gave a great fight yesterday....I had a good night sleep....unto South Africa....
. I honestly don't understand you people again. Is Moses Simon a defender? Is defending his primary duty? What do you mean by he put up a strong defensive shift all the time? A type that forces us on the back foot even against acclaimed minnors. Oga, attack is the best form of defence. You could see that in yesterday's game when Chukwueze came on.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:55am On Jul 07, 2019
Bash92:

Was in Primary school during this Ghana/Nigeria afcon. I can never forget that final and seing Oliseh crying like a baby, I burst to tears after the penalty shoot. I could only stop crying after dad told me it will be replayed, till date we never replay am. Just like someone mentioned earlier Cameroon are our major rival in Africa, Ghana and South Africa follow from behind. Good luck to us in the against South Africa.

I was told this a lot of times too. I remember being told that Nigeria - Denmark game (France 98) will be replayed because Sand was found to have take drugs after the match.

Just like you, I'm still waiting.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:01am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:

Did you read my Post at all?!

You can't pin the blame of the first Goal on Simon or/and Awaziem. A good Crossing was made, not that they were dribbled off Position, but our Defence failed to intercept and clear the Danger grin

A good defender would have blocked that cross or seen him off to the touchline.

But Awaziem gave him too much space he kept backtracking as opposed to closing him down and the space down. A reflection of a player with limited pace up against a much faster player.

That's why Awaziem was the WEAKEST LINK in thay team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:01am On Jul 07, 2019
Yes, we have beaten Cameroon but the next game will prove even more challenging.

Rohr should start Chukwueze IMO. We need to start doing damage early to stand a chance. We can't wait to go behind to SA or we may not be that lucky again

The fact that we took just 4 MFs to this AFCON may just come back to hurt us if one of them gets injured like Mikel. Thank God they aren't the injury prone type.

SA will prove more difficult. They are a better technical side than Cameroon. Rohr needs a better technical assistant after this AFCON (if he isn't sacked). African teams are upgrading and we can't be left behind.

Our defense needs to do more to shield our GK since it seems like we don't have a good shot stopper who can perform heroically like Enyeama and Ikeme et al

Let the players keep he celebrations to the minimum so that they may focus on their next game. It isn't over yet

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:04am On Jul 07, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
I was still in Primary School.... Lol

Lol same here bro. Now I don't feel that old anymore...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 9:04am On Jul 07, 2019
DrKlever:
. I honestly don't understand you people again. Is Moses Simon a defender? Is defending his primary duty? What do you mean by he put up a strong defensive shift all the time? A type that forces us on the back foot even against acclaimed minnors. Oga, attack is the best form of defence. You could see that in yesterday's game when Chukwueze came on.
Chukwueze didn't change the game. We have Odion Ighalo to thank, having learnt from his mistake earlier in the tournament where he tried trapping the ball in the penalty box instead of hitting the ball one time.

Yesterday, Omeruo's mis hit shot fell to him and he hit it one time, goal! Musa's chest pass, he hit one time, Goal!
Chukwueze had nothing to do with any of the goals. He didn't even have a shot on target.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:06am On Jul 07, 2019
DrKlever:

It is Rohrs fault. Simon Moses barely adds anything offensively. Liverpool dodged a bullet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:08am On Jul 07, 2019
Barryseal:

Babangida was on drugs in this game. The guy practically dismantled SA on the night. Total demolishion job by Tijani, all thanks to Bonfere with the stroke of genius switching him over to torment the SA right back.
I used to bang people silly on Playstation one with Babangida and Amokachi on winning eleven. grin

Yea Winning Eleven 7 that year. Babangida was a real beast on that game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:09am On Jul 07, 2019
komekn:

I watched and l found him to be OK but that's all.

His lack of pace for a RB or RWB add to that his limited technical ability leaves a lot to be desired. In the past two games he has-been the WEAKEST LINK.

Quality doesn't hide cream will always rise to the top. If he was exceptional then PSG and other clubs would have been fighting to sign him. But nobody in the end. na TURKEY he find himself.

That in itself tells the story.

Yes Awaziem is crap buh even in his crappy state, in all ramifications, he is still far superior to ur jewel and client, Iorfa grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:10am On Jul 07, 2019
komekn:

But Awaziem gave him too much space he kept backtracking as opposed to closing him down and the space down. A reflection of a player with limited pace up against a much faster player.

It would have been suicidal to close in on Basagog. Maybe Awaziem should have done better in not allowing the cross but this is football and stuff happens. As per weakest link if I am forced to give it it would go to Ola Aina. That second was too poor on his part and he switched off other times in the game when Omeruo had to save him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 9:14am On Jul 07, 2019
komekn:

You're on point. Awaziem's failure to close Bassogog down gave him the chance to drop a pin point cross that beat the defence. Thank goodness he learnt from that as he didn't allow Bassogog such space in the second half. The coaches must have pointed it out to him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:16am On Jul 07, 2019
komekn:

His lack of pace for a RB or RWB add to that his limited technical ability leaves a lot to be desired. In the past two games he has-been the WEAKEST LINK.

Quality doesn't hide cream will always rise to the top. If he was exceptional then PSG and other clubs would have been fighting to sign him. But nobody in the end. na TURKEY he find himself.

Don't think Awaziem is weak technically. His lack of a pace is a worry for me but he's been generally ok so far.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:17am On Jul 07, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

It would have been suicidal to close in on Basagog. Maybe Awaziem should have done better in not allowing the cross but this is football and stuff happens. As per weakest link if I am forced to give it it would go to Ola Aina. That second was too poor on his part and he switched off other times in the game when Omeruo had to save him.

The second goal wasn't Aina's fault. The moment omeruo missed the ball that went to Njie, there is nothing he could do as the attacker was already in his front with the advantage. Infact he was lucky that the guy scored cos he foul the guy but thank God he didn't fall down but went to score. If not, that would have been a penalty and a red card, because he's the Last man. That would be double jeopardy, meaning that we would have lost the game since first half

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:18am On Jul 07, 2019
Barryseal:

[b]Chukwueze didn't change the game. [/b]We have Odion Ighalo to thank, having learnt from his mistake earlier in the tournament where he tried trapping the ball in the penalty box instead of hitting the ball one time.

Yesterday, Omeruo's mis hit shot fell to him and he hit it one time, goal! Musa's chest pass, he hit one time, Goal!
Chukwueze had nothing to do with any of the goals. He didn't even have a shot on target.

He did. How, you may ask?

Because with his introduction, at least 2 players were always drafted to mark him thus giving the other forwards more breathing space to attack. He also created chances that weren't converted yesterday.

He really tried

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:18am On Jul 07, 2019
for me personally I think Moses Simon was one of our better players before he got substituted on many occasions he had the beating of the cameroonian left back but unfortunately his final balls weather shots or crosses were off the Mark.

Samuel when he came on was also very good put the cameroonian defenders on edge like super nerd said his excellent movement created space 4 Awaziem to deliver that excellent Cross which resulted in the equaliser.

Sometimes we don't need to knock somebody else to appreciate someone else's game for me Simon had a good game it's just that Samuel was better and carried more threat

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:19am On Jul 07, 2019
timay:

The second goal wasn't Aina's fault. The moment omeruo missed the ball that went to Njie, their is nothing he could do as the attacker was already in his front with the advantage. Infact he was lucky that the guy scored cos he foul the guy but thank God he didn't fall down but went to score. If not, that would have been a penalty and a red card, because he's the Last man. That would be double jeopardy, meaning that we would have list the game since first half

Aina would have done better if he was physically as strong as Njie. That's the truth although if Omeruo had some the earlier Ariel battle, it wouldn't have come to that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:24am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

Aina would have done better if he was physically as strong as Njie. That's the truth although if Omeruo had some the earlier Ariel battle, it wouldn't have come to that.

At that point , physicality is useless. The attacker was in his front, their is little he can do , except you are suggesting he foul the guy from behind, that would be worse, cos it's a red card and a penalty, which we wouldn't be able to fight back any longer

The last hope at that point would be your goalkeeper to save you or at least the attacker shouldn't finish the ball well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:27am On Jul 07, 2019
komekn:

I think you are being a bit too harsh on the young man don't forget he is just a makeshift right back which he has performed creditably well.

He hasn't really been poor against winger's so far in this tournament except for his first-half display against Cameroon he has more than held his own.

Yes he should have done better trying to keep out the cross but let's be fair the cameronian delivered a very good Cross that would beat a lot of decent right-backs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 9:30am On Jul 07, 2019
Barryseal:

Chukwueze didn't change the game. We have Odion Ighalo to thank, having learnt from his mistake earlier in the tournament where he tried trapping the ball in the penalty box instead of hitting the ball one time.

Chukwueze created 3 clear cut chances within the 30mins he spent on the pitch.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 9:31am On Jul 07, 2019
DrKlever:
so you think rohr instructed Simon to attack more or defend? Answer this simple question
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 9:39am On Jul 07, 2019
Wow

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 9:40am On Jul 07, 2019
krattoss:
mehn no be today we start to dey blow trumpet oo shocked

Babangida is just like Musa of today
We don’t even blow trumpets anymore. Those years was when we played football with trumpet. The trumpets was like the rhythm that dictates play on the field for us

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by facts1234: 9:42am On Jul 07, 2019
Whatever happens in our next game, Please tell Rohr not to field AKPEYI.

The South Africans seem to know him very,very well. They know his low points as a keeper and will exploit them to the fullest.

A word is enough for the wise.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bash92(m): 9:44am On Jul 07, 2019
joseph1013:

I was told this a lot of times too. I remember being told that Nigeria - Denmark game (France 98) will be replayed because Sand was found to have take drugs after the match.

Just like you, I'm still waiting.
lolz
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 9:57am On Jul 07, 2019
Oasis007:
''The question is easy to answer, you know when you have some offensive players like Oyongo, the left-back from Cameroon, who is coming forward all the time and you have an offensive strong player like Chukwueze but defensively not so good like Simon Moses, who plays in his club a more defensive position because they play 3-5-2.

''He's playing on the right or the left side, so we decided to start like this to have stability in the team and to bring in Chukwueze in the good moment. He came in after 16 minutes in the second half.

'"I don't believe that it changed the result but it helped us to win and to score the two goals.''

- Gernot Rohr

Cc ChrisKels, SuperNerd, Humility017, Forgiveness, Charlesemeka85.
Bro, don't be carried away.

Rohr just wanted to justify his starting line-up.

Should he start Moses Simon against South Africa and get knocked out.He will be sacked.

Iwobi for the 80mins he spent on the pitch produced only 3 key passes while Chukwueze produced same 3 key passes in just 30 mins.

You can't set up your team defensively and still tell us we don't have good strikers.

Start creative wingers like Onyekuru and Chukwueze and see a poor 9 net a hat-trick.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by simiife: 9:58am On Jul 07, 2019
semid4lyfe:
Impressive victory against a physical, skillfull and defensively solid Cameroun team.

I'll opine that we won not because of Rohr's technical brilliance but naivety and poor game management from Clarence Seedorf and the Camerounian players.

At 2-1 up, Cameroun just needed to adopt the Madagascar template. . .manage the game by sitting back, doubling down, committing more to defense, picking their passes & attacks and hitting on the counter.

I was surprised when the 2nd half resumed and Cameroun came all gung-ho looking for a 3rd goal. Immediately, I saw this approach, I was happy and said to myself, 'we fit equalise and win this game".

Playing an open game, pressing and committing men forward against the present Super Eagles is suicidal. African teams that have beaten us in recent times have done it on the back foot. Think South Africa & Madagascar.

Clarence Seedorf is a brave coach but he needs to know when to adopt attacking and defensive tactics.

Now back to the Super Eagles. . . .Despite the victory, I dare say the best game we've played in this tournament was against Guinea. In fact, Nigeria-Guinea is the best game play I've seen from the team in a long while.

Still, I'll take a victory anyhow it comes.

Congrats to the Super Eagles, Nigerians and Nigeria.

U pple shud stop dis tin na,b4 d game,someone here was hyping seedof and klyvert,saying dat d combo( seedof and klivert) was beta dan rhor tactically, he even said he wanted dem 2 win because he doesn't want dos 2 to loose to rhor,now match don end nw una dey talk sey na d nativity and poor game management of d Cameroon coaching crew and dat cost dem d game and nt rhor's tactical ability,sey una no c wen he comot dat defensive forward for Chucks abi,una no c as everything con rhyme 2geda.

Pls u pple shud cut rhor some slack abeg,wetin he do una sef.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2019
timay:

The second goal wasn't Aina's fault. The moment omeruo missed the ball that went to Njie, there is nothing he could do as the attacker was already in his front with the advantage. Infact he was lucky that the guy scored cos he foul the guy but thank God he didn't fall down but went to score. If not, that would have been a penalty and a red card, because he's the Last man. That would be double jeopardy, meaning that we would have lost the game since first half

It was 100% Aina's fault. He slept off everybody in the stadium knew that the striker was going to win that ball but Ola failed to anticipate that and allowed his man to enter inside. Even the supersports crew said he was to blame.

Omeruo didn't miss the ball the striker was in front of him only a foul would have stopped him from heading that ball but who would expect Aina to sleep off?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:06am On Jul 07, 2019
facts1234:
Whatever happens in our next game, Please tell Rohr not to field AKPEYI.

The South Africans seem to know him very,very well. They know his low points as a keeper and will exploit them to the fullest.

A word is enough for the wise.

Yes.

This makes sense. I would go with Ezenwa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 10:07am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

He did. How, you may ask?

Because with his introduction, at least 2 players were always drafted to mark him thus giving the other forwards more breathing space to attack. He also created chances that weren't converted yesterday.

He really tried

One of the chances he created was as a result of the short comings of his weaker foot, he was in a position to hit the ball with his right but instead tried to cut to his left, the defence recovered and he had to square to Musa. He had higher chance of scoring if he took the shot himself, albeit using his weaker foot.

That is why stats don't usually tell the full story.
Secondly I don't think 2 players were outrightly marking him. He more or less ran into traffic when he tried dribbling. Chucks had a decent game but I agree with Rohr, the goals came inspite of him not because of him. He wasn't the game changer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 10:08am On Jul 07, 2019
Starboytwo:
Good morning all, I dare say any team that comes out to play open and expansive football in this afcon go chop am....we have enough fire power to do damage even on the bench...

Sit back and employ Madagascan defensive style, if you even wanna try....but if you come out like Cameroon did and wants to score more goals grin my friend you go CHOP AM...
You dey talk like this because we later won.

We got the first goal because we attacked them first.

But after the first goal our guys wanted to defend till halftime which gave Cameroon chance to equalize.

It's attacking football that won us this game not some defensive football.

Egypt lost yesterday because there coach in a bid for defensive solidity opted for a 4-2-3-1 instead of his 4-3-3 flat which has been winning him games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 10:13am On Jul 07, 2019
darkelf:

Yes.
This makes sense. I would go with Ezenwa
He might still start Akpeyi.
Don't forget, he is conservative.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6493) (6494) (6495) (6496) (6497) (6498) (6499) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.