Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,523 members, 7,861,522 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:45 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6532) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11932937 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6529) (6530) (6531) (6532) (6533) (6534) (6535) ... (16340) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:08pm On Jul 10, 2019
For the first time, SE will be playing at night during this AFCON

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2019
South Africa Coach Baxter Reveals Plans To Stop Penalty Box Predator Ighalo

South Africa coach Stuart Baxter has claimed that Bafana Bafana defenders will not man-mark Odion Ighalo when they face Nigeria in Wednesday evening's Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinal clash in Cairo.

The former Watford striker has been Nigeria's most influential player at the ongoing tournament, having a hand in four (3 goals, 1 assists) of the five goals scored by the three-time African champions.

And Baxter has revealed that one of the ways to nullify Ighalo's threat is simply to cut off supply to the Super Eagles number 9.

''We don’t make individual plans for players in terms of man marking. We would solve that as a team,'' Baxter said.

''We would make it difficult for them (Nigeria) to play quality balls to their strikers and would defend like we normally defend.

''That is part of the ways you can make individual strategies to certain players. Being a central striker, Ighalo will fall into the back four as a unit, and we’ll screen the midfield which will make it difficult for him.''

Ighalo specializes in scoring from inside the penalty area and all his international goals have come from inside the box with the exception of his opener in a 4-0 win vs Cameroon in September 2017.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2019
We af suffer cry

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 1:17pm On Jul 10, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Together we shall soar high. Kind nervous though, just hope our boys come to the party today.

SA has very low scoring and very short on target. We have alot of edge against them. Just need to set back and utilize most of our chances.

Watch out for MUSA!

All of them plays their A game when it comes to Nigeria ... our offense is been the Giant of Africa ... but today they are going home

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:18pm On Jul 10, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

It is because you look at it as nuclear physics. Simply, instead of Awaziem bombing forward to support the attack, when we are with ball, he joins the midfield to prevent us being overrun when we lose the ball.

I wonder where you are getting in the now. I have always talked of my preferred way we should play and wanted us to use the Madagascar game to give our more explosive forwards a chance to show what we can do.

I do not expect Rohr to go gung-ho today and do what he is not used to. He still has a tournament to manage and the hopes of millions of Nigerians based on his decision.

I am pointing out that the reason we are held back from being electric in our play is due to our Conservative play. Also, I do not want Osimhen playing without Chukwueze and Onyekuru flanking. The pressure from them will keep the opponents back. One of the full backs (Awaziem) inverting when we have the ball.

I wonder what your problem is.
grin Let's just agree to disagree. Na small question I ask you, where you're thinking there's problem is what I don't understand.

If Awaziem falls to the midfield, two things must be in place. The wingers must hold good ball retention capacities & Awaziem must be mobile enough to return to position if things go FUBAR.
Its not like using Inverted fullbacks just affect the back and maybe the middle, its a tactic that must be ingrained in the team from GK to the outfielders.
Can we then use this in a competition (adhoc)? Its not like this situation was glaring Afconq, friendlies and even the first 2 group games, is it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

South Africa coach Stuart Baxter has claimed that Bafana Bafana defenders will not man-mark Odion Ighalo when they face Nigeria in Wednesday evening's Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinal clash in Cairo.

The former Watford striker has been Nigeria's most influential player at the ongoing tournament, having a hand in four (3 goals, 1 assists) of the five goals scored by the three-time African champions.

And Baxter has revealed that one of the ways to nullify Ighalo's threat is simply to cut off supply to the Super Eagles number 9.

''We don’t make individual plans for players in terms of man marking. We would solve that as a team,'' Baxter said.

''We would make it difficult for them (Nigeria) to play quality balls to their strikers and would defend like we normally defend.

''That is part of the ways you can make individual strategies to certain players. Being a central striker, Ighalo will fall into the back four as a unit, and we’ll screen the midfield which will make it difficult for him.''

Ighalo specializes in scoring from inside the penalty area and all his international goals have come from inside the box with the exception of his opener in a 4-0 win vs Cameroon in September 2017.
A mixture of cutting into the box, feinting and Outside shots would do. Alex must come with his shooting boots that's all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 1:23pm On Jul 10, 2019
jihday:
We af suffer cry

Using Akpeyi as a shooting practice today ... we re in for long thing ����

But no be when they get opportunity to shoot? ... when Musa Ighalo and Simon or any of our attackers in their box 18 ... doing them strong thing , they will not remember we have a weak keeper ... cos their aim will be to take the ball off their half ... the best form of defense today will be a constant attack and starving them of the ball .

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2019
It's two things today, either the eagles send rohr packing today or help him stay a bit longer on the job until we are tired. No long story!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:30pm On Jul 10, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:
For the first time, SE will be playing at night during this AFCON

CAF and the LOC already planned such fixtures to favour Egypt hoping they'd win it at least. All matches to be played at night. Even the semis and finals same time and venue.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:49pm On Jul 10, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2019
jihday:
We af suffer cry

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2019
Odunayaw:
grin Let's just agree to disagree. Na small question I ask you, where you're thinking there's problem is what I don't understand.

If Awaziem falls to the midfield, two things must be in place. The wingers must hold good ball retention capacities & Awaziem must be mobile enough to return to position if things go FUBAR.
Its not like using Inverted fullbacks just affect the back and maybe the middle, its a tactic that must be ingrained in the team from GK to the outfielders.
Can we then use this in a competition (adhoc)? Its not like this situation was glaring Afconq, friendlies and even the first 2 group games, is it?

You are mixing it. The idea is about using the current set of players to attack. So talking Afcon and group games is out of the question. We have not been an offensive side. We play with our foot on the brakes. So now, how do we push forward when we know we have challenges in the middle.

I am suggesting a full back becoming part of the defensive block when we are attacking.

It takes training, discipline and perseverance to attack, not just to play with inverted full backs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:59pm On Jul 10, 2019
komekn:

I know Porto well and a lot of the top clubs in Portugal all these clubs have a business model and it includes selling players once they can get a good price.

Ademola Lookman is a player that Everton still want otherwise they would have accepted the CONCRETE OFFICIAL OFFER of £28 million. In addition there were multiple offers from a duplicity if clubs for Ademola.

Nantes is not a big club in the context of Financial muscle, they offered what they thought he was worth £3.5 million if I'm right. Who else wanted him❓ The price offered tells you his rating by the club after a season in the French league one. That should tell you something as well.

You cannot get a top RB on the English Championship for that money.

What u wrote up there doesn't change the fact that Awazeim could have signed for Nantes if Porto weren't stubborn.. that alone proves how good he is..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2019
komekn:

Your depth of insight, understanding and wealth of football knowledge is startling indeed you are an icon.

Our two best Midfielder arguably in the AFCON play in abyss of the Championship, Mikel and Etebo. What a wonderful abyss it must be.

Please we need to encourage more of our players to come to this Abyss as it does a world of good for thier careers it seems . I know even Onazi tried to leave Turkey to get here but it sadly didn't work.

Etebo was one of our best player at the world cup and he was playing in laliga then... Mikel has always been our best midfielder way before the Middlesbrough move...
The championship has nothing to do with their performance this Afcon..
The championship isn't where u progress.. u just earn more money there... too many crap players and managers playing boring long ball football ... That's why the like of hull city and Norwich are lions in the championship but can't hold their own against the big boys in EPL .

Look at Aina..Compare Aina of Hull city and the one of Torino....u will see a big difference...

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2019
game day expect the southies to be brimming with confidence and arrogance to attack us. don't know why but i have this feeling Musa will be the difference between us. southy defence will be stingy so we need to maximize the few chances that will fall to us.

very hopeful of victory

LET'S GO SUPER EAGLES

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2019
komekn:

Your depth of insight, understanding and wealth of football knowledge is startling indeed you are an icon.

Our two best Midfielder arguably in the AFCON play in abyss of the Championship, Mikel and Etebo. What a wonderful abyss it must be.

Please we need to encourage more of our players to come to this Abyss as it does a world of good for thier careers it seems . I know even Onazi tried to leave Turkey to get here but it sadly didn't work.

Wrong

Our two best Midfielders currently in this AFCON are Ndidi and Etebo, not Mikel. Mikel has been having a poor tournament so far
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:11pm On Jul 10, 2019
Humility017:

I tell you...and he can shot precisely outside the 18 yard box....
he would have perfectly fit the AM/SS role Iwobi plays...coming in as sub sometimes...

then Mikel can deputise etebo

I assume u are referring to the Iheanacho of old...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:12pm On Jul 10, 2019
I am of the opinion that winning this AFCON would make it easier for us to convince the really good foreign born lads to play for us thereafter

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:13pm On Jul 10, 2019
darkelf:

Chai, how time flies.

Back then, SA was like moi moi to us. There was no apprehension whenever we wanted to face them. Now, the reverse is the case.

Our football has regressed while theirs have improved sad

However, I'm banking on the boys to get the job done today

How exactly has South Africa football progressed better than us?
I mean Bafana Bafana ...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 2:16pm On Jul 10, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

I have never been sold to the idea of Chukwueze starting but I am beginning to think he should start. We really need someone confident enough to take on all BB defenders if possible.

A problem I have is all our wingers are poor ball crossers (Musa, Simon, Iwobi, and even Chukwueze). Thankfully, they all have decent amount of skills and speed, and taking on the BB defenders and cutting inside remains our best bet in my view.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2019
Icon79:
Nah, if Rohr knows what he's doing, Mikel should play Ndidi's role, as holding midfielder, and Ndidi moved up to Etebo's position (as a box to box midfielder). And Etebo should take over the AM position from Iwobi (and Iwobi should deputize him). Alex Iwobi is good but he's inconsistent and tends to get tired after 60-70 mins, so make him a super sub.

O pari

Mikel has DM won't work. Etebo as AM will turn out worse. .
We are up against a South Africa team that are fast. maybe not faster than us but definitely fast. Mikel's legs are gone bro.. Its better he comes in the second half to stabilize the midfield (depending on the scoreline)..
Iwobi despite his inconsistency remains our best bet at AM this AFCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2019
darkelf:

Chai, how time flies.

Back then, SA was like moi moi to us. There was no apprehension whenever we wanted to face them. Now, the reverse is the case.

Our football has regressed while theirs have improved sad

However, I'm banking on the boys to get the job done today
you are the only one having any apprehension, as far as I'm concerned I'm all good here, infact I have just placed a Nigeria to qualify bet.....

One little boy I sent on an errand said South Africa will win, I'm very very sure he is not watching the match in my house.....

I'm all calm here...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:19pm On Jul 10, 2019
ChrisKels:
Ndidi and Etebo should replicate their form against Guinnea today. They should do on Zungu, the same job they did on Keita, then the match is as good as won. To me, Zungu is the main threat, he feeds the likes of Tau, and when he is stifled, Tau becomes useless. Mothiba isn’t a striker, he always has his back against the post, the first thing that comes to his mind whenever he is wt the ball is to make a back pass to either Tau or lurch, So Ndidi should be up for it, to intercept those passes, and our CBs should always keep it tight to force him to make those BPs

I will start Ighalo in this match to deal with Mkizhe and Hlatshuayo. With Chukwueze, we have a very good chance of winning penalties from Mkizhe grin

That SA left back is quite good though. But I trust chuks to get d job done grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
Danielnino00:

How exactly has South Africa football progressed better than us?
I mean Bafana Bafana ...

Point out where I said that please.

Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
jihday:
We af suffer cry

Somebody here wanted to eat my head for saying that Ezewa should start ahead of Akpeyi... Nearly every player in that SA team has faced him before.. they know his weakness...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
Danielnino00:

Etebo was one of our best player at the world cup and he was playing in laliga then... Mikel has always been our best midfielder way before the Middlesbrough move...
The championship has nothing to do with their performance this Afcon..
The championship isn't where u progress.. u just earn more money there... too many crap players and managers playing boring long ball football ... That's why the like of hull city and Norwich are lions in the championship but can't hold their own against the big boys in EPL .

Look at Aina..Compare Aina of Hull city and the one of Torino....u will see a big difference...

He knew all these things, hence he doesn't deserve a response as genteel as this. He is only trynna impress the low lives in here. I will always be his nightmare whenever he comes here trynna rubbish our boys, to make his favourite Anglo players look better grin

To him Osimhen is crap while Solanke is a gold

Awaziem is useless while Iorfa is a class act

Onyekuru is poor while Onyedinma is the real deal

No be same person talk say Chuks Aneke better pass all dem CMs wey dey our team.

The boy tells lies as though his life depends on it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2019
Starboytwo:
you are the only one having any apprehension, as far as I'm concerned I'm all good here, infact I have just placed a Nigeria to qualify bet.....

One little boy I sent on an errand said South Africa will win, I'm very very sure he is not watching the match in my house.....

I'm all calm here...

Are you claiming not to have seen my last statement?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2019
darkelf:

Point out where I said that please.
Thanks

"Our football has regressed while theirs have improved"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2019
Mikel not working as a DM is not because he can't do it but for some unexplainable reason he feels too big to play that role in the Super Eagles remember against argentina in the world cup rohr had to beg him to play that role.

yeah Iwobi should start he stills brings that creative instinct even though it hasn't come to the fore so far at the AFCON

Danielnino00:

Mikel has DM won't work. Etebo as AM will turn out worse. .
We are up against a South Africa team that are fast. maybe not faster than us but definitely fast. Mikel's legs are gone bro.. Its better he comes in the second half to stabilize the midfield (depending on the scoreline)..
Iwobi despite his inconsistency remains our best bet at AM this AFCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2019
Danielnino00:

Somebody here wanted to eat my head for saying that Ezewa should start ahead of Akpeyi... Nearly every player in that SA team has faced him before.. they know his weakness...
I'm damn tired of the "they know his weakness bullcra.p " you people are tryna play today

Please what's the weakness

How many times have we suffered with the weakness

Is he the only player in out team with a weakness??

And if indeed he's truly got a weakness like y'all making it to be, don't you think the coaches,GK trainer have some kind of counter to the weakness....

I'm not surprised if it's coming from the southi fans, well what do you expect, if I was a zuluman I would say the same, but coming from you that's crap....come to think of it, what's stopping the pirates or whatever supporters to get a Good goalkeeper, is the club so broke to afford one or there is really no better Goal keeper in the whole of South Africa to bench Akpeyi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

He knew all these things, hence he doesn't deserve a response as genteel as this. He is only trynna impress the low lives in here. I will always be his nightmare whenever he comes here trynna rubbish our boys, to make his favourite Anglo players look better grin

To him Osimhen is crap while Solanke is a gold

Awaziem is useless while Iorfa is a class act

Onyekuru is poor while Onyedinma is the real deal

No be same person talk say Chuks Aneke better pass all dem CMs wey dey our team.

The boy tells lies as though his life depends on it.

He no get shame at all... Been trying so hare to rubbish Awazeim for long. Even stooping so low to say Awazeim has been our weakest link this AFCON...
He used to rubbish Omeruo a lot...his first comment on Omeruo performance this AFCON was on his mistake that lead to Cameroon second goal....seriously no shame at all

His English boys aren't making the three lions team cus they aren't good enough... they aren't making the SE anytime soon cus their eyes never clear...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6529) (6530) (6531) (6532) (6533) (6534) (6535) ... (16340) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Bigmech, sureleads, IFELEKE(m), Truidstarr, opes, Odunayaw(m), ChrisKels, Subzerooo, Tinneh, Neobulletzz(m), Stormtrooper11(m), kellycute(m), Monsignor22 and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.