Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,121 members, 7,835,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6566) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11781595 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6563) (6564) (6565) (6566) (6567) (6568) (6569) ... (16194) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:10pm On Jul 11, 2019
That's why I pray we meet algeria instead of CIV who will sit back to frustrate us. Algeria is not a defensive minded team and the super eagles tend to do better when playing attack minded team.

With chukwueze exploit so far I will prefer him to start ahead of Moses Simon but with strict instruction to track back to defend when the need arises.

Musa is another dynamite but his biggest problem is his final ball. Judging by his work rate and directness I will prefer to start him ahead of onyekuru and kalu.
darkelf:

You made some good points.

But now, all eyes would be on Chukwueze, so who would be our joker in the next game?

Suggestions on possible tactics are welcome

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
That's why I pray we meet algeria instead of CIV who will sit back to frustrate us. Algeria is not a defensive minded team and the super eagles tend to do better when playing attack minded team.

With chukwueze exploit so far I will prefer him to start ahead of Moses Simon but with strict instruction to track back to defend when the need arises.

Musa is another dynamite but his biggest problem is his final ball. Judging by his work rate and directness I will prefer to start him ahead of onyekuru and kalu.

Musa did well against SA but his greatest undoing was trying to pass to a crowded Ighalo.

I think he should shoot next time when he has the clear chance. He is a better shooter than passer/crosser

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:17pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

About this.....Awaziem was solid yesterday. Same as Collins but to be honest, I'm eager to see what they can pull against Zaha, Ounas, Mahrez et al.

Understand that I'm not rubishing their efforts ooo. Far from it but they haven't exactly faced wingers with the quality of the players I just listed

But some misguided fellows didn't think through this line when they said pvssy Tau was gonna have him for lunch in the absence of Simon. To them, prior that match, taofeek, sorry tau was even an upgrade on zaha, mahrez and ounas grin

one thing I love about awaziem is his ruggedness, u can never bully him no matter ur size and physicality. I saw him against the trickiest winger in the world last two seasons (neymar), hence ,I ain't losing sleep over taofeek'ed, mahrez, zaha and ounas

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2019
this is where rohr is a bit underestimated and underappreciated. give it to gernot he knows how to set up the eagles for any particular opposition. my only issue with him is he doesn't react on time to seeming danger in game unless the worst happens eg opponents score first, equalize

charlesemeka85:
Tactics to be deployed in a match determines the players to selected who are better suited for it.

Against Cameroon Simon started because Rohr tried to be cautious knowing that the rb position is unfamiliar to awaziem and deemed it reasonable to start a more defensive disciplined player with better work rate to help out awaziem in the position.

Against SA the game plan was to take them unawares with a fast, skillful and lethal player in chukwueze who they knew nothing about and their main focus was on Ighalo and Musa. The plan was to attack them as the game starts so we can get an early goal which will unsettle them and it worked out if not for the dubious goal we conceded.

The match I blamed Rohr was against Madagascar cus I expected onyekuru to start or atleast come in as a sub instead of fielding unfit kalu. All the same he is human and prone to mistakes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 4:24pm On Jul 11, 2019
joseph1013:

Rabzy my man! Long time.

It's funny reading Blacks use slavery as an excuse for lack of development.

Fact: More whites were brought as slaves to North Africa than blacks brought as slaves to the United States or to the 13 colonies from which it was formed. White slaves were still being bought and sold in the Ottoman Empire, decades after blacks were freed in the United States.

But let's not loud it. Excuse of slavery makes our backwardness sound tenable.

Ivory Coast or Algeria?

My man I dey very alright, long time.

A lot of people don't know how the Moors enslaved whites. Communities in Europe were contributing money to buy back some of their children. America had to fight a war with the beys of north Africa because of it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:25pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
ABIA!

coming from same guy who was against giving Chucks a Chance. u even went as low as making bogus claims that simon had created more chances than Chuks.

bro u are too sacred of taking risks or trying new means. fear-fear man no dey grow oo. be inventive and daring. u are being a pessimist here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:25pm On Jul 11, 2019
ChrisKels:

But some misguided fellows didn't think through this line when they said kitten Tau was gonna have him for lunch in the absence of Simon. To them, prior that match, taofeek, sorry tau was even an upgrade on zaha, mahrez and ounas grin

one thing I love about awaziem is his ruggedity, u can never bully him no matter ur size and physicality. I saw him against the trickiest winger in the world last two seasons (neymar), hence ,I ain't losing sleep over taofeek'ed, mahrez, zaha and ounas

Abeg Tau no be player. That dude was hyped to heavens. I didn't even know him before AFCON and when people started throwing his name around like used tyre, I had to google him only to find out that he plays at a second division Belgian club. Even the name of the club looks like a club formed by NURTW.

Mtchewww

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CLT123(m): 4:25pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
That's why I pray we meet algeria instead of CIV who will sit back to frustrate us.

Then we'll sit back and let CIV attack, like we did against South Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:25pm On Jul 11, 2019
The number 9 position and midfield are the departments we lack personel and depth going forward inhe future.

The upcoming season in Europe will be vital in the process of getting a good striker who can take the mantle from Ighalo, mikel and John ogu most especially the former.

The likes of awoniyi and oshimeh needs to move to more competitive leagues or remain in Belgium and join the top teams in the league who feature in European competition so that they can make a statement for their course. Odey and Okereke are in a better environment and clubs to make their marks so that they will be counted. Iheanacho needs to rediscover his MOJO as well even if he has to drop to the English 2nd tier.

In the midfield, more qualities are needed to replace the aging mikel and ogu and as well complete the younger ones we have on ground which are ndidi and etebo. I pray that the likes of onomah, aribo, ejaria, Kingsley Michael, Eze, bashiru, zubairu etc perform well in their various and prospective clubs so that they can have a look in.

In the defence line, tomori(if interested), uduokhai, Pius junior etc can also be drafted if they perform well in the upcoming season.

My biggest worry is the goal keeping department and due to the lack of quality in that position we have to make do with the trio we have now until a better goal tender emerges.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:31pm On Jul 11, 2019
And I'm glad that the kid have proved me wrong but Rohr has his own reasons for his decisions as I stated in my previous post.

If you notice last night chukwueze tracked back alot to help out in defence which is a good addition in his you g blossoming career. Rohr dropping him after the first match and added to the instruction in training so far is working out for good. He will never learn or improve if he is not disciplined and cautioned
ChrisKels:

coming from same guy who was against giving Chucks a Chance. u even went as low as making bogus claims that simon had created more chances than Chuks.

bro u are too sacred of taking risks or trying new means. fear-fear man no dey grow oo. be inventive and daring. u are being a pessimist here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:32pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
When we get to that bridge we will cross it. Shehu hv faced Mahrez so I see no reason why awaziem can't handle him. If Salah can be shut out by the southies then same can happen to Mahrez n Co u mentioned

At the bolded, did u know that, that same SA left back that single-handedly rendered Salah useless was pants before Chucks grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:32pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
The number 9 position and midfield are the departments we lack personel and depth going forward inhe future.

The upcoming season in Europe will be vital in the process of getting a good striker who can take the mantle from Ighalo, mikel and John ogu most especially the former.

The likes of awoniyi and oshimeh needs to move to more competitive leagues or remain in Belgium and join the top teams in the league who feature in European competition so that they can make a statement for their course. Odey and Okereke are in a better environment and clubs to make their marks so that they will be counted. Iheanacho needs to rediscover his MOJO as well even if he has to drop to the English 2nd tier.

In the midfield, more qualities are needed to replace the aging mikel and ogu and as well complete the younger ones we have on ground which are ndidi and etebo. I pray that the likes of onomah, aribo, ejaria, Kingsley Michael, Eze, bashiru, zubairu etc perform well in their various and prospective clubs so that they can have a look in.

In the defence line, tomori(if interested), uduokhai, [b]Pius junior [/b]etc can also be drafted if they perform well in the upcoming season.

My biggest worry is the goal keeping department and due to the lack of quality in that position we have to make do with the trio we have now until a better goal tender emerges.

I don't know this guy oooo

Anyways, I feel there are better GKs. Our GK trainers are just lazy.

Mikel should retire after AFCON. And on no account should Rohr take just 4 midfielder to any tourney again. Its too risky. I doubt we have a replacement for wither wtwbo or Ndidi. Joe Aribo should rise to the challenge.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:37pm On Jul 11, 2019
Hahahahahahaha
ChrisKels:

At the bolded, did u know that, that same SA left back that single-handedly rendered Salah useless was pants before Chucks grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:39pm On Jul 11, 2019
Na national team goal keeper trainers made enyeama world class and ikeme a good goal keeper?
darkelf:

I don't know this guy oooo

Anyways, I feel there are better GKs. Our GK trainers are just lazy.

Mikel should retire after AFCON. And on no account should Rohr take just 4 midfielder to any tourney again. Its too risky. I doubt we have a replacement for wither wtwbo or Ndidi. Joe Aribo should rise to the challenge.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Horus(m): 4:39pm On Jul 11, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X1Ib6de4jM

Nigeria player reactions after South Africa win

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:39pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
And I'm glad that the kid have proved me wrong but Rohr has his own reasons for his decisions as I stated in my previous post.

If you notice last night chukwueze tracked back alot to help out in defence which is a good addition in his you g blossoming career. Rohr dropping him after the first match and added to the instruction in training so far is working out for good. He will never learn or improve if he is not disciplined and cautioned

Agreed bro.

one thing I noticed yesterday;

Chucks had no specific role yesterday, hence ,didn't help awaziem that much, yet awaziem was totally inexpugnable. one minute Chucks was there as a RW, next he was a SS, next he was orchestrating attacks in the MF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:43pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

Thanks mahrez shehu faced isn't the Man city mahrez.

I'm banking on Rohr to make adequate prep against them but I doubt awaziem would be enough. My opinion please. No insults

Shehu faced a better mahrez. the EPL player of the year. today's mahrez is a shadow of his old self. forget the club he now plays for(mainly as a bench warmer,though)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:47pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Na national team goal keeper trainers made enyeama world class and ikeme a good goal keeper?

To scout for better GKs.

I'm sure we can find better Nigerian league GKs better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:48pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Finally my boss Don Sabi watch Ball grin grin let me come and go before him go slap me

so I no sabi watch ball before? grin grin

I go send u enter semid list oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2019
ChrisKels:

I disagree, he didn't render salah useless

Salah created two clear cut chances for trezeguet to bury d game, and he missed those chances,salah was crowded most times by d SA players

They knew d game plan, mark out salah and render d whole team useless,even @ dt he was able to create chances wink

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:51pm On Jul 11, 2019
Young Nigerian midfielder James Olayinka has earned his first senior call-up to the Arsenal team after he was included in the traveling party to the United States by manager Unai Emery.

The Gunners have unveiled a list of twenty-nine players in the squad to America and it includes two players eligible to represent the Nigeria national teams, with winger Bukayo Saka also selected.

Olayinka, 18, was spotted training with Arsenal's first teamers this week, fueling speculation that he was in contention to be named on the roster.

Nigeria U23 international Kelechi Nwakali, goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo, winger Xavier Amaechi and fit-again central defender Joseph Olowu who have all trained with the first team in the past are not part of the group.

Alex Iwobi has not made the traveling squad because of international commitments with Nigeria and it is all but confirmed that he'll miss pre-season training as the Super Eagles have qualified for the semifinals of the Africa Cup of Nations.

Arsenal will face Colorado Rapids in Denver on July 15, before International Champions Cup games against
Bayern Munich, Fiorentina and Real Madrid in Los Angeles, Charlotte and Washington DC respectively
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:56pm On Jul 11, 2019
elyte89:

I disagree, he didn't render salah useless

Salah created two clear cut chances for trezeguet to bury d game, and he missed those chances,salah was crowded most times by d SA players

They knew d game plan, mark out salah and render d whole team useless,even @ dt he was able to create chances wink

okay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
rabzy:

My man I dey very alright, long time.

A lot of people don't know how the Moors enslaved whites. Communities in Europe were contributing money to buy back some of their children. America had to fight a war with the beys of north Africa because of it.

Nothing is comparable to slavery in Africa. What about the millions lost at sea?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:05pm On Jul 11, 2019
ChrisKels:

Shehu faced a better mahrez. the EPL player of the year. today's mahrez is a shadow of his old self. forget the club he now plays for(mainly as a bench warmer,though)

Mahrez is still good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2019
See as Ivory coast dey defend against common Algeria

With all the talent they have
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:08pm On Jul 11, 2019
andrew444:

Mahrez is still good

yes but not as good as he once was
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:09pm On Jul 11, 2019
Source: https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/in-dept ... vq21qhtzam

In-Depth: How the Super Eagles soared past sterile South Africa

Nigeria and South Africa clashed in the quarter-final at the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) on Wednesday evening in Cairo. A last minute winner sent the Super Eagles into the semi-finals having seen South Africa equalise with the help of VAR. Gernot Rohr’s men will meet the winner of the Cote d’Ivoire vs Algeria quarter final on Sunday evening with a place in the final at stake.

TEAM NEWS

Stuart Baxter named an unchanged team from the 1-0 win against Egypt despite Themba Zwane’s return from suspension. Thembinkosi Lorch kept his place on the flank, whilst Ronwen Williams continued in goal and it was again a three-man central midfield with Kamohelo Mokotjo alongside Dean Furman and Bongani Zungu.

Nigeria made two changes from the side which came from 2-1 down to beat Cameroon 3-2 in the Round of 16. At left back, Jamilu Collins made his first appearance of the tournament after illness, meaning Ola Aina dropped to the bench. On the right flank, Samuel Chukwueze got the nod ahead of Moses Simon after his lively substitute appearance against Cameroon.

BAFANA GIVEN THE BALL

From the start of the game, it was clear that Nigeria were not going to press high and try to close down the Bafana Bafana centre backs, but instead look to close down in midfield. Baxter’s team were being allowed long spells of possession in non-dangerous areas by Rohr’s men.

As Bafana looked to do in their opening match against Cote d’Ivoire, Dean Furman moved out to the right flank or right half-space when his side were trying to play out from the back. This was to escape Alex Iwobi in his zone, whilst freeing Thami Mkhize to play high up on the right flank, therefore pushing Percy Tau inside and closer to Lebo Mothiba. The problem was that even when Furman or Mokotjo got the ball, the latter dropping deep centrally, they lacked the passing range to find teammates further forward, switch the play or drive forward with the ball to draw out a man.

In midfield, Nigeria were very much man-oriented. All tournament long, they have had problems guarding the space in front of their defence due to Peter Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi being pulled away from that zone when closing down opposition central midfielders. It was the same in this game, but the duo were winning lots of challenges when pressing Zungu and Mokotjo. By full-time, the pair had made five tackles and six interceptions, dominating that area.

Bafana, meanwhile, were again trying to use Tau and Lorch as inside forwards, with both looking to play narrow. With Mothiba dropping off constantly to show for the ball, it was rarely dangerous for one of the central defenders to step out into that space to engage him, safe in the knowledge that there was little threat in-behind. This also allowed William Troost-Ekong and Kenneth Omeruo to defend higher up than usual, thereby compressing the space between-the-lines.

EAGLES ATTACK THE FLANKS

Despite having very little of the ball, by design, in the opening 25 minutes, Nigeria were very purposeful when they did get it. Nearly every regain was followed by a deliberate ploy to switch play into the wide areas. As Bafana were not using Lorch and Tau wide, the Super Eagles fullbacks were constantly free to overlap, whilst being a great out-ball on transition to bypass any counter pressing.

On the right flank, Chidozie Awaziem was much more progressive than usual (being a central defender naturally), so Etebo and Omeruo regularly hit long passes out to him, freeing Chukwueze to come inside onto his left foot to find space around Mokotjo. Iwobi was also causing real trouble by moving towards the flanks and creating overloads against South Africa’s fullbacks, who were already overloaded with a winger to face and either Collins or Awaziem arriving from deep.

The goal came from that source. Ndidi switched play to Ahmed Musa on the left touchline. Iwobi pulled wide to link with the winger as Zungu made a half-hearted attempt to track his man. Meanwhile, Chukwueze had come inside and Mokotjo had not spotted the danger, with Furman had been pulled across towards Iwobi. After a shot was blocked, it fell for Nigeria’s right winger to steer home. All game, Chukwueze had looked a threat and his excellent arrival into a scoring area brought the goal.

These problems in wide areas persisted for Bafana as Chukwueze isolated Hlanti, beat him on the outside and nearly forced a second goal. South Africa, as had been a problem throughout their Afcon campaign, also nearly conceded from their own freekick as Iwobi found Musa bursting free on the counter-attack, but Chukwueze blasted over the bar when he was picked out.

Bafana’s reaction had been non-existent. Williams was looking long from the back, whilst Mothiba was struggling in the duels with the Nigerian central defenders. Etebo characterised the half by reading a pass into Zungu and brushing him off the ball. The battle in the engine room was being completely dominated by Rohr’s team.

Samuel Chukwueze Nigeria South Africa

SECOND HALF – NIGERIA DROP DEEPER

If Nigeria had not been bothered to dominate possession in the first half, that was even more the case in the second period. The backline dropped significantly deeper, perhaps to draw Bafana out for counters through the speedy wingers. This also had the effect of seeing possession numbers for Baxter’s side swell further.

By the 67th minute mark, Bafana had 61% of the ball in the game, yet had shown no penetration to their play. Themba Zwane had come on to try to provide more threat between-the-lines, but removing Lorch was a curious move and did not do anything to cause Nigeria new problems. Withdrawing one of the visibly fatigued Zungu or Mokotjo would have given Rohr something new to think about.

One moment summed up Bafana’s poor buildup at the tournament. Zungu pulled wide and took Ndidi with him, thus opening space for Tau to drop into. Mkhwanazi’s attempt to find his teammate was poor, Nigeria broke and Hlatshwayo had to crash through Ighalo to stop the attack. Etebo stepped up and forced Williams to tip the resultant freekick onto the bar. Even when South Africa’s best player found separation, no one in deeper areas had the ability to find him consistently.

MKHIZE VERSUS MUSA

One of the key battles in the second half was on the right flank. After Zwane had come on, he was playing very narrow, with Tau now also playing even further inside. The shape looked more like a midfield diamond and with even less width, the Bafana fullbacks were pushed into very advanced positions.

This left plenty of space for Nigeria to break, and Musa got past Mkhize to fire a cross which Furman had to clear, whilst Chukwueze beat Mkhwanazi in the channel and nearly picked out Ighalo. At the other end, Mkhize’s influence was growing as Musa was reluctant to track him.

With just over 70 minutes to go, South Africa were level. Having shown no route back into the game from open play, the equaliser arrived from a set-play. Tau’s delivery was flicked on by a Nigerian player, meaning Zungu was incorrectly flagged offside from his finish and VAR over-ruled the decision. Despite being level, Bafana were still not compact and gave Chukwueze a chance to beat Mokotjo on a counter and find Iwobi to lash over the bar.

Rohr decided after 82 minues to trade Musa’s pace on the break, but lack of defensive nous, for Moses Simon. The latter immediately did a better job of tracking Mkhize. He was also looking to replicate Musa’s direct running at the South Africa right back, twice taking him on but getting nowhere. On the third occasion, he drew a corner. The substitute delivered, Williams came out to punch – with his call audible on the television replays – but he missed the ball completely and Troost-Ekong bundled in the winner.

Stuart Baxter had used his usual Plan B shortly prior to the goal, bringing on target man, Lars Veldwijk for the ineffective Mothiba. This change, as usual, saw Bafana play direct. The substitute won one good header from a deep freekick, but without any genuine width, there were not crosses for him to attack. Nigeria looked very susceptible against deliveries from wide in their win against Cameroon, whilst Daniel Akpeyi has struggled aerially in this tournament. However, two possible weaknesses for the Super Eagles were never really exploited by Bafana.

There was still time for another Nigeria counter as the outstanding Chukwueze set up Ighalo for a chance, but Williams smothered. Rohr then put on Leon Balogun for Alex Iwobi for the final moments to give extra cover against Veldwijk. Baxter didn’t bother with using his third change.

SUMMARY

Although this game was settled by a goalkeeping error in the final moments, that does not tell the story of a far superior Nigeria side. Rohr’s men had significantly more chances despite having just 39% of the ball in the game. Their switching of play to their wide men allowed constant chances to isolate South Africa’s fullbacks. Whereas Hlanti had been given close support in facing Mohamed Salah against Egypt, he was constantly left alone against Chukwueze, whilst Musa and Iwobi also found space to exploit on the flanks.

In midfield, Nigeria dominated proceedings with both Ndidi and Etebo performing excellently, not only in closing down but with their long passing out to the flanks – Bafana’s trio lacked the physicality and freshness to compete. Whereas the aggressive closing down from the Super Eagles pairing had left the zone in front of the back four exposed against Cameroon, it was no real problem here as the backline defended much higher up in the first half than usual, due to the lack of depth to Bafana’s play as Mothiba spent most of the game showing for the ball with his back to goal.

Bafana’s performance was similar to that against Cote d’Ivoire and Namibia, in that they were allowed to play out from the back, had significantly more possession, but had no real ideas of what to do with it. There was no width to their play, there were no runners in-behind and there were no midfielders with the energy to run with the ball, arrive in the box, or play penetrative passes over the top. Baxter’s changes were typically uninspiring as he removed Lorch and then simply went long to Veldwijk. The equaliser had come from a dead-ball situation and aside from those scenarios and the space afforded to Bafana by Egypt’s reckless approach, this was a tournament of sterility for South Africa when trying to break down opponents.

Nigeria did well to solve their problems from the last game and in Chukwueze, Etebo and Ndidi, they had the three outstanding players on the pitch. With 38% and 39% possession respectively in their two knockout wins, Rohr has found a way to draw opponents out and make space for his attackers to exploit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:09pm On Jul 11, 2019
ChrisKels:

yes but not as good as he once was

No b lie
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:09pm On Jul 11, 2019
Earthquake2:
See as Ivory coast dey defend against common Algeria

With all the talent they have

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2019
The Ivory coast no 9 has missed three open posts in this Afcon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 5:12pm On Jul 11, 2019
forgiveness:

You should see Iwobi and Musa control long balls first na.

Which Iwobi, which Musa

You didn't even mention Mikel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 5:13pm On Jul 11, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Nothing is comparable to slavery in Africa. What about the millions lost at sea?

There were millions lost to the desert and the millions still enslaved in west African countries by their Arab landlords. But the number is not the issue for me, Europe added some complexities and complications to an already underdeveloped africa, europe is not the source of our under development.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6563) (6564) (6565) (6566) (6567) (6568) (6569) ... (16194) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bennie1980(m), Alfryd, elyte89, Softbreastt, Bbdot(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.