Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6565) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11786332 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6562) (6563) (6564) (6565) (6566) (6567) (6568) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2019
ChrisKels:
Some weed smokers said awaziem was a weak link grin

They won't comment on his display yesterday, they gonna wait till he slips, so that dey will crawl outta their caves to say rubbish again.

Even the ones that said awaziem can't do without a defensive winger in Simon grin

About this.....Awaziem was solid yesterday. Same as Collins but to be honest, I'm eager to see what they can pull against Zaha, Ounas, Mahrez et al.

Understand that I'm not rubishing their efforts ooo. Far from it but they haven't exactly faced wingers with the quality of the players I just listed

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

Bit out clubs may not have the resources or even will to pull it off
True

Will first, then resources.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2019
Starboytwo:
I'm enjowing the show pls go on grin

You be bad guy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:59pm On Jul 11, 2019
chrisooblog:
Massive win yesterday though we made it harder for ourselves than it should have actually been. Awaziem and Collins great defensive performances. Iwobi best game of the tournament so far. Chukwueze what can i say about this starboy? nigeria is blessed to have such a talent pray he stays free from any serious injury and stays humble has potential to be one of our best wingers ever. kudos to alhaji musa pity his final ball often let him down. ighalo had an off day rohr shouldn't be scared to try other striking options if odion is not working out. makes us more unpredictable. shout out to king kong ekong too.

really pitied percy tau yesterday. like a snooker ball he was just entering one corner POCKET to the other grin

still on course game by game, match by match unto the next one.

Thank you God.

LET'S GO SUPER EAGLES!

I still feel rohr should try Osimhen.

We never know what the cat may let in.

Rohr may have said the guy falls in training but o feel he is eager to get the praises that Chukwueze has been getting. Same as Onyekuru and Kalu.

As at 65mins yesterday when we were still leading, Rohr should have subbed in Osimhen for Ighalo and see what happens. Ighalo is too inconsistent and predictable. Osimhen offers a bit of an unknown guile/trickery that may confound opposition defences while Ighalo has limited ability to get past his man..

Rohr ought to give this young ones a chance. We can't let the AFCON pass by without seeing them in action even if for 5 mins

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:01pm On Jul 11, 2019
breezy147:

I mean long aerial balls. When you send them to Chukwueze his control is superb. The ball sticks to his feet. I wonder how he developed such professional first touch at such a young age. Ighalo, Musa etc often have poor first touches. I have not even seen Mikel or Ndidi control the ball the way Chukwueze does. I observed this long ago.

Ighalo has poor touches when he isn't backing a player.

He thrives on being marked by bodily contact when trapping a ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
breezy147:

I wish there could be upsets. Madagascar defeating them and CIV beating Algeria.

Then we face Madagascar in the final. grin grin grin

CIV will defeat Algeria

Madagascar has been improving with every game and anything can happen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2019
yeah i agree osimhen could turn out to be our amunike moment

darkelf:

Rohr may have said the guy falls in training but o feel he is eager to get the praises that Chukwueze has been getting. Same as Onyekuru and Kalu.

As at 65mins yesterday when we were still leading, Rohr should have subbed in Osimhen for Ighalo and see what happens. Ighalo is too inconsistent and predictable. Osimhen offers a bit of an unknown guile/trickery that may confound opposition defences while Ighalo has limited ability to get past his man..

Rohr ought to give this young ones a chance. We can't let the AFCON pass by without seeing them in action even if for 5 mins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:18pm On Jul 11, 2019
Oga I doubt oshineh can handle the rigors of a competition huge as the afcon.

These players are been monitored day in day out since the training camp resumed and Rohr knw their qualities than u and I.

No sensible coach will try such gamble now that we are in this crucial stage of the competition and if Rohr didn't believe in the lads potentials he wouldnt have dropped iheanacho and ignored players like awoniyi, Simy or even Odey who all did pretty decent in their respective clubs in Europe in favor of oshimeh.

If you want to watch oshineh play u can invite to compete in your village competition but as for the super eagles his time will surely come. The Olympics is there for him to perform of which he is the team's undisputed number 1 striker
darkelf:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:19pm On Jul 11, 2019
ABIA!
chrisooblog:
yeah i agree osimhen could turn out to be our amunike moment

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:20pm On Jul 11, 2019
i see what you mean about odion's poor first touches. i noticed each time he's pressured by the opposition defender his poor touch sometimes leads to turnovers which results in fast counters. problem is it seems onuachu is even worse in that regard and we haven't seen enough of osimhen in the GWG to form a proper picture of his ability
darkelf:

Ighalo has poor touches when he isn't backing a player.

He thrives on being marked by bodily contact when trapping a ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Coming from the number 1 hypocrite on this thread.

You have several times belittled Chukwueze's talents, labelled Osimhen a super flop and always had an unkind word for every promising Nigerian youngster not English born and you now wanna take the high horse of "caring for the lad"?

Chriskels is right about this: anyone still taking you seriously is really as hypocritical as you are.

Chuks' performance and Osimhen's rise are victories for we the true fans who believed in them and had kind words for them from the beginning not for you who changes words as a chameleon changes color....

Unfortunately you substitute infantile wrangling, caustic abuse and vitriolic diction for intelligence.

You presume from your liimited understanding to be knowledge when it's simple ignorance and parochial thinking.

You then garnish your comments with fabrication birthed from your own imagination. Simply put you tell a lot of BLATANT LIES and then having no sense of honour your overblown ego doesn't allow you to admit and apologize. I guess your too big for that.

I would advise you to go school as elementary understanding has eluded you, particularly where you the term HYPOCRISY.

the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

I understand that you are fan in the deepest of senses. But your fanaticism should not be an excuse to bully insult and intimidate because someone has a different view than you.

But back to your Shameless lies.

First of all I don't look at Football in isolation creating s unit of measurement that is exclusive for Nigerian players. It's this befuddled delusional view that made quite a few of you here compare KC to Mbappe, Gabriel, etc.

Then when a person has a balanced view of taking all matters into consideration not in isolation you call it prejudice and hate. Then to crown your incomprehension you call it HYPOCRISY.

So tell me When, where and How l belittled Osimhen and Chukwueze please quote me and if you can not then you are a CONFIRMED LIAR. I may not use the same overstated superlatives that you do in my description of them, that does not mean HATE.

Before you knew what football was l was sitting in Warri Township stadium looking at Sunday Mba and Etebo. On behalf of the club's in the premiership that were interested in him at that time.

When l have been calling for the inclusion of Ighalo, Obagoal ( in the past), Onuachu, Kayode, etc etc l guess these guys were all born in Peckham

So where is the hypocrisy ❓ But of course you don't even know what it means. When that's exactly what you are a HYPOCRITE.

You make demarcations between Nigerians on the basis of whether they born in Nigeria or not. Then you accuse people of being tribalistic.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2019
When we get to that bridge we will cross it. Shehu hv faced Mahrez so I see no reason why awaziem can't handle him. If Salah can be shut out by the southies then same can happen to Mahrez n Co u mentioned

darkelf:

About this.....Awaziem was solid yesterday. Same as Collins but to be honest, I'm eager to see what they can pull against Zaha, Ounas, Mahrez et al.

Understand that I'm not rubishing their efforts ooo. Far from it but they haven't exactly faced wingers with the quality of the players I just listed

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Oga I doubt oshineh can handle the rigors of a competition huge as the afcon.

These players are been monitored day in day out since the training camp resumed and Rohr knw their qualities than u and I.

No sensible coach will try such gamble now that we are in this crucial stage of the competition and if Rohr didn't believe in the lads potentials he wouldnt have dropped iheanacho and ignored players like awoniyi, Simy or even Odey who all did pretty decent in their respective clubs in Europe in favor of oshimeh.

If you want to watch oshineh play u can invite to compete in your village competition but as for the super eagles his time will surely come. The Olympics is there for him to perform of which he is the team's undisputed number 1 striker

Now this was funny.

But on a more serious note, its not as if Osimhen is my favorite but Ighalo is very unreliable.

I don't claim to be better than Rohr at his job but one this is sure, Chukwueze has been given opportunities and he has relayed that faith. Why not give the other lads such opportunities no matter how little.

Ighalo has been studied and a good defence will render him useless like yesterday. If SA could do so, what about Algeria or even CIV.

If your top man isn't reliable, what happens. We could have scored more goals yesterday bit for Ighalo's poor positioning. He can't claim to haven't received enough passes from the wingers yesterday but he was just absent. He want in the right place. Now, ighalo is a decent player because I know some slowpokes will attack me for singling him out but truth is, he had the poorest game yesterday same as what we saw against Madagascar.

That's all I'm saying
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2019
Another one for the future

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:27pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
When we get to that bridge we will cross it. Shehu hv faced Mahrez so I see no reason why awaziem can't handle him. If Salah can be shut out by the southies then same can happen to Mahrez n Co u mentioned

Thanks mahrez shehu faced isn't the Man city mahrez.

I'm banking on Rohr to make adequate prep against them but I doubt awaziem would be enough. My opinion please. No insults
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:35pm On Jul 11, 2019
is there really a difference between mahrez of leicester city and mancity? he's just playing with more commited and talented algerian players plus they have gotten rid of the clowns who used to coach them

darkelf:

I'm banking on Rohr to make adequate prep against them but I doubt awaziem would be enough. My opinion please. No insults

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:39pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

Now this was funny.

But on a more serious note, its not as if Osimhen is my favorite but Ighalo is very unreliable.

I don't claim to be better than Rohr at his job but one this is sure, Chukwueze has been given opportunities and he has relayed that faith. Why not give the other lads such opportunities no matter how little.

Ighalo has been studied and a good defence will render him useless like yesterday. If SA could do so, what about Algeria or even CIV.

If your top man isn't reliable, what happens. We could have scored more goals yesterday bit for Ighalo's poor positioning. He can't claim to haven't received enough passes from the wingers yesterday but he was just absent. He want in the right place. Now, ighalo is a decent player because I know some slowpokes will attack me for singling him out but truth is, he had the poorest game yesterday same as what we saw against Madagascar.

That's all I'm saying

What if I tell you that Ighalo slugging it out with two CBs allowed our wingers to flourish? We win and lose as a team no one is expecting Ighalo to score in every match. Those passes were poor apart from the one Samu made which Ighalo wasn't hip to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:48pm On Jul 11, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

What if I tell you that Ighalo slugging it out with two CBs allowed our wingers to flourish? We win and lose as a team no one is expecting Ighalo to score in every match. Those passes were poor apart from the one Samu made which Ighalo wasn't hip to.

Okay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:49pm On Jul 11, 2019
chrisooblog:
is there really a difference between mahrez of leicester city and mancity? he's just playing with more commited and talented algerian players plus they have gotten rid of the clowns who used to coach them

You have a good point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:52pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

Now you are banking on Rohr? Wonders shall never end. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2019
Tactics to be deployed in a match determines the players to selected who are better suited for it.

Against Cameroon Simon started because Rohr tried to be cautious knowing that the rb position is unfamiliar to awaziem and deemed it reasonable to start a more defensive disciplined player with better work rate to help out awaziem in the position.

Against SA the game plan was to take them unawares with a fast, skillful and lethal player in chukwueze who they knew nothing about and their main focus was on Ighalo and Musa. The plan was to attack them as the game starts so we can get an early goal which will unsettle them and it worked out if not for the dubious goal we conceded.

The match I blamed Rohr was against Madagascar cus I expected onyekuru to start or atleast come in as a sub instead of fielding unfit kalu. All the same he is human and prone to mistakes
darkelf:

Now this was funny.

That's all I'm saying
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2019
For ur information Mahrez best form was when he was in leicester. How many matches did he play for city since he joined?
chrisooblog:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2019
Boys are back to training!

Recovery session today

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

In other words, They have not had their first real test grin grin grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Liverpool ex-player, Don Hutchinson on Chukwueze via twitter

“What a player mate. English clubs won’t have the balls to go for him. I’ve told loads of scouts/coaches Etc about him! Going right to the top.”

An English man said that. A bonafide English man... Komekn won't like this. grin

I have always told u guys to stop taking that wannabe seriously

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2019
the same man city with strength in depth that sane could barely get a game in this past. mahrez hasn't really changed much from his leicester days

charlesemeka85:
For ur information Mahrez best form was when he was in leicester. How many matches did he play for city since he joined?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:01pm On Jul 11, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Now you are banking on Rohr? Wonders shall never end. grin

Which wonders?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:03pm On Jul 11, 2019
Clementoke:

In other words, They have not had their first real test grin grin grin

These guys are better than the ones we have faced. However, our defenders should be able to rise to the moment

Don't put words in my mouth please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
darkelf:

I expected scouts to have jostled for his signature after his season in Stoke but his performance in this tourney should give premiership teams something to think about

So far in this afcon, dude has played with swagger similar to Nice's Jean Seri

He is leaving stoke for a better club this Summer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Tactics to be deployed in a match determines the players to selected who are better suited for it.

Against Cameroon Simon started because Rohr tried to be cautious knowing that the rb position is unfamiliar to awaziem and deemed it reasonable to start a more defensive disciplined player with better work rate to help out awaziem in the position.

Against SA the game plan was to take them unawares with a fast, skillful and lethal player in chukwueze who they knew nothing about and their main focus was on Ighalo and Musa. The plan was to attack them as the game starts so we can get an early goal which will unsettle them and it worked out if not for the dubious goal we conceded.

The match I blamed Rohr was against Madagascar cus I expected onyekuru to start or atleast come in as a sub instead of fielding unfit kalu. All the same he is human and prone to mistakes

You made some good points.

But now, all eyes would be on Chukwueze, so who would be our joker in the next game?

Suggestions on possible tactics are welcome
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:05pm On Jul 11, 2019
Finally my boss Don Sabi watch Ball grin grin let me come and go before him go slap me
ChrisKels:
Icant believe Iam saying this, but etebo has been my best midfielder and most consistent player in this tournament. Yes I labelled him a Carpenter, buh boy is killing it .

someone should plz find Mikel a super glue on that bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:09pm On Jul 11, 2019
Mickael2:

How did he challenge for the ball kwanu? By running to the far post when the ball was close to penalty spot?

He was offside..

By the rules, it should have been called offside. No need to complicate the matter.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6562) (6563) (6564) (6565) (6566) (6567) (6568) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AndSunGorilla and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.