Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,769 members, 7,837,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (694) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11795888 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) (696) (697) ... (16204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:38am On Mar 24, 2017
The summary..... well....

It was a game of physicality and power.... The Senegalese were alll over Nigeria in the first 20-25mins of the encounter but eventually the Likes of Ndidi and Ogu held sway.... hard to pick a MOTM between the two but I will pick Ndidi.

Onazi started but got clattered into by the rough Senegalese midfielders... his injury is pretty serious kinda.

Senegal and Nigeria both had chances... Iheanacho squandered Two good chances in the first half.

Omeruo did creditably well as Right back and Troost and Leon did good in central defence also...

Echiejile held sway on the left....

Iwobi had a very poor game due to his inability to cope with the physical aspects of the game the Senegalese hardmen were giving us. He was eventually replaced in the second half by Etebo.

Musa was not so good too and left injured. Kayode replaced him.

Iheanacho won the penalty and converted it himself.

Isaac Success came in for Simon and showed why Rohr had always wanted to cap him... his entrance gave the lions of teranga hell.... he got past his markers with ease and overpowered them most times... he also got one or two freekicks... one of whick Nacho took which found Kayode but he missed from a few yards out...

It wasn't all Nigeria shaa... Senegal did have their moments of domination and the likes of Sow troubled us and got the game's first goal. Kouyate, Ndoye, Gueye gave our young midfield a super battle but I must confess Ogu and Ndidi replied fire for fire...

Ndoye and Ndidi especially had a big midfield battle in which Ndidi mostly prevailed.

This is Senegal's starting XI...

23 Pape Seydou N'Diaye
25 M. Wagué
3 K. Koulibaly
26 S. Sané
11 C. Ndoye
8 C. Kouyaté
5 I. Gueye
24 A. Mbengue
9 M. Diouf
7 M. Sow
15 O. N'Guette

Sadio Mane came into the fray in the 65th min....

Come on Sir Goldfish... no Mikel... no Moses Victor, No Ikeme, No Ighalo, No ideye (as battering ram).... yet Nigeria held their own.....

Remember their team have stayed longer than ours as a unit... Nigeria deserve your plaudits... not condemnation... smiley

goldfish80:
Can I get a summary of the game? I understand it was 1-1 final score. We should be smashing a stranded Senegalese team like this. Am not impressed with the scoreline am seeing at all.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:48am On Mar 24, 2017
And Iwobi too oooo.... Iwobi just didn't come to the party today because he hasn't been exposed much to physical west African giants like Senegal not to mention the real hard boys themselves... Cameroon... (forget that cameo he made under oliseh in that 3-0 win over cameroun in late 2015... he only played the final 10mins or so).

Iheanacho too can play the no.10 role....

There is also the talk of Omat sone Aluko who have been impprssing at Fulham I must confess. But As always... I trust Rohr will do the right thing for not every one's tastes can be met.

And yeah about that Mikel argument... yeah... when speaking of Ndidi, I did so with respect to the CAMF (or just AMF) position centrally... But Ndidi can play DMF and also CMF... he is that good... no not good.... Excellent.... smiley

Joebie:

I remember arguing with you once when we had that Mikel talk, that he will make a good replacement, but anyways you prefer Mikel as a number 10, so this won't apply. For now that #10 position can be marshaled very well by Mikel or Etebo

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:50am On Mar 24, 2017
Thank you so much. Now i know why you are respected here..

But did we really miss Ighalo and Ideye?

Who would you suggest as good additions to this team.. How about Etebo's performance.

I think Success and Iheanacho can make a great partnership -- UAE '2013 nostalgia

TheSuperNerd:

It was a game of physicality and power.... The Senegalese were alll over Nigeria in the first 20-25mins of the encounter but eventually the Likes of Ndidi and Ogu held sway.... hard to pick a MOTM between the two but I will pick Ndidi.

Onazi started but got clattered into by the rough Senegalese midfielders... his injury is pretty serious kinda.

Senegal and Nigeria both had chances... Iheanacho squandered Two good chances in the first half.

Omeruo did creditably well as Right back and Troost and Leon did good in central defence also...

Iwobi had a very poor game due to his inability to cope with the physical aspects of the game the Senegalese hardmen were giving us. He was eventually replaced in the second half by Etebo.

Isaac Success came in for Simon and showed why Rohr had always wanted to cap him... his entrance gave the lions of teranga hell.... he got past his markers with ease and overpowered them most times... he also got one or two freekicks... one of whick Nacho took which found Kayode but he missed from a few yards out...

It wasn't all Nigeria shaa... Senegal did have their moments of domination and the likes of Sow troubled us and got the game's first goal. Kouyate, Ndoye, Gueye gave our young midfield a super battle but I must confess Ogu and Ndidi replied fire for fire...

Ndoye and Ndidi especially had a big midfield battle in which Ndidi mostly prevailed.

23 Pape Seydou N'Diaye
25 M. Wagué
3 K. Koulibaly
26 S. Sané
11 C. Ndoye
8 C. Kouyaté
5 I. Gueye
24 A. Mbengue
9 M. Diouf
7 M. Sow
15 O. N'Guette

Come on Sir Goldfish... no Mikel... no Moses Victor, No Ikeme, No Ighalo, No ideye (as battering ram).... yet Nigeria held their own.....

Remember their team have stayed linger than ours as a unit... Nigeria deserve your plaudits... not condemnation... smiley

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:51am On Mar 24, 2017
Thanks Sir Chriskels.... smiley Not fully back though....

Still basking in the positive result we achieved hours ago without some of our Big Guns.... smiley

ChrisKels:

Lol bro. Welcome back jor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:54am On Mar 24, 2017
lol.. Agreed.. you have observed correctly!

Let's not stress Iwobi for the Cameroon game. Is Aluko a more improved player compared to when he was with Hull before promotion?

Iheanacho is our 9 for now because of lack of a potent 9. Maybe Rohr should look Odey's direction. We need a natural 9. that will convert 2 or 3 out of 3..lol . I guess Iheanacho will not be fielded as a #10 now or in the nearest future.

TheSuperNerd:
And Iwobi too oooo.... Iwobi just didn't come to the party today because he hasn't been exposed much to physical west African giants like Senegal not to mention the real hard boys themselves... Cameroon... (forget that cameo he made under oliseh in that 3-0 win over cameroun in late 2015... he only played the final 10mins or so).

Iheanacho too can play the no.10 role....

There is also the talk of Omat sone Aluko who have been impprssing at Fulham I must confess. But As always... I trust Rohr will do the right thing for not every one's tastes can be met.

And yeah about that Mikel argument... yeah... when speaking of Ndidi, I did so with respect to the CAMF (or just AMF) position centrally... But Ndidi can play DMF and also CMF... he is that good... no not good.... Excellent.... smiley

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:57am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

23 Pape Seydou N'Diaye
25 M. Wagué
3 K. Koulibaly
26 S. Sané
11 C. Ndoye
8 C. Kouyaté
5 I. Gueye
24 A. Mbengue
9 M. Diouf
7 M. Sow
15 O. N'Guette
Le

Remember their team have stayed linger than ours as a unit... Nigeria deserve your plaudits... not condemnation... smiley

Thanks a lot. This is the most comprehensive summary I've read so far.
How good was Akpeyi in goal? Was he culpable for the goal conceded?
From your report, Iwobi had another poor game. That's two games in a row he has been poor for the super eagles. I don't think it's right making excuses for him, sentiments aside. If he had a poor game, he had a poor game.
He plays week in week out against rough, rugged and raw teams like STOKE and Burnley in bruising conditions in the premiership.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:04am On Mar 24, 2017
goldfish80:
Can I get a summary of the game? I understand it was 1-1 final score. We should be smashing a stranded Senegalese team like this. Am not impressed with the scoreline am seeing at all.

I think Senegal is probably the strongest African side at the moment on paper. A draw is very creditable. It is a friendly and gave us an idea of what to expect from Cameroon. Apart from the injuries, I will say mission accomplished.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:20am On Mar 24, 2017
On Ighalo and Ideye.... loll... I just called their names coz normally, their presence will still strike fear into some African teams as Ideye is an Afcon champion with loads of experience and Ighalo's exploits in the EPL is still known plus both are physical kinda players who can hold their own against battering ram teams like Senegal .....

Etebo's performance... well... he didn't really light up the show. But he did enough to battle the physical nature of the game the lions were giving us which made Iwobi lost.

Etebo gave us stability and presence in his role as the AMF. He didn't shy away from getting those legs jammed with the Senegalese in the time he featured.
He also had an effort in the second half parried away for a corner.

Etebo remains the only player in the Eagles who has more lungs and steel than anyone... even more than Ndidi (Ndidi na fireworks on him own sef) and Onazi combined.... he is a powerhouse of an explosive player himself but we didn't see much of his explosive side as he didn't train enough with the team and even arrived late for the game... maybe against Burkina Faso, his A-game will pick up pace... smiley

And on Success and Iheanacho partnership.... Sir Joebie... this is what Sir theGoodJoe and I have been praying for... He calls it the league of Extraordinary hitmen.... grin

In this league, we also speak of Osimhen (can't wait for him to get the ball rolling at Wolfsburg when he is fully fit), Iwobi as the AMF, and then the backups... smiley

On Good additions to this team.... well, thankfully, Success is finally in.

Now we await the additions of Players like Brian Idowu as cover for Echiejile.... Moses Odubajo as quality option as right back to battle Ebuehi and Musa Mohammed..... Kenny Otigba as cover for our oyibo wall and competition for Agbo and a young Awaziem..... Mikel Agu and Esiti will find it very difficult breaking into our team as Ndidi, Onazi and Ogu are all top quality.... Sone Aluko to compete for the AMF slot even though I feel Iwobi owns it in the long run alongside even Iheanacho....... Henry Onyekuru and Samuel Kalu on the wings as options and covers for our regulars....... Nwokolor and Emma Daniel for our Goalkeeping dept as options to Ikeme and Akpeyi (Alampasu should get his club ish sorted...).

Sometimes I wish Alban Lafont was Nigerian.... loollll....

And ohhh... I just for notification that Brazil killed Uruguay 4-1.... in WC qualifying... Chaaaiiiiii... see why we need quality all over the place in our team....?? We must build a world class team whether we like it or not ooooo.....

Then finally.... Rohr should beam his searchlights on the relevant foreignborn talents we need to beef up our Super Eagles backup quality options...

He has done well to get Ebuehi and Bazee... now a few others hopefully will follow.... especially from England.... within the next one year or less((I know Sir Komekn will love this)) grin

Joebie:
Thank you so much. Now i know why you are respected here..

But did we really miss Ighalo and Ideye?

Who would you suggest as good additions to this team.. How about Etebo's performance.

I think Success and Iheanacho can make a great partnership -- UAE '2013 nostalgia

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:53am On Mar 24, 2017
goldfish80:

From your report, Iwobi had another poor game. That's two games in a row he has been poor for the super eagles. I don't think it's right making excuses for him, sentiments aside. If he had a poor game, he had a poor game.
He plays week in week out against rough, rugged and raw teams like STOKE and Burnley in bruising conditions in the premiership.

guess who had a good game...why Ndidi of Course grin

guess who didn't have such a good game....why Onazi of coursegrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:06am On Mar 24, 2017
Akpeyi was quite good between the sticks. He made some good saves from Sow and Ndoye.

The goal sow scored wasn't entirely Akpeyi's fault. **he did fluff at the cross but also the positioning of the defenders caused it... and a little ding-dong in the area permitted Sow to convert**

And yeah.... Iwobi was poor. I am not necessarily making excuses for him but only stating that it will take him time to adjust his game to the extreme physical demands of African football.... Especially with die hard teams like Cameroun and Senegal who have defenders and midfielders who don't give a damn or know what the word, "smile" is....

Iwobi is bigger than Nacho in size although Nacho is slightly taller than he is. But Nacho copped well against Koulibaly and co.... Nacho grew up in Nigeria here naa and played street football which most times involves "jam body" hard soccer and playing against bigger boys.... but Iwobi grew up under "Air condition" kinda football environment.... (lemme just call it that).

So it will take him some time shaa.... Iwobi is still one of our very best and most impactful game-changing players.

goldfish80:

He plays week in week out against rough, rugged and raw teams like STOKE and Burnley in bruising conditions in the premiersscorede
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:22am On Mar 24, 2017

Iheanacho with Kayode(no.9) and Echiejile after the equaliser vs Senegal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:40am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Lolll..... Merci Beaucoup Great Chief.... smiley

Now I am free to use these licensed words.... loll

TheGoodjoe.... You are not permitted ooo... Sir Icon4s thinks .... you are "not there yet" grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:51am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

We share similar hope for Nacho and our rising stars..

do you know Kelechi Nwakali was the only African player tied to an African country who made it to the NxtGen Top 50 U-19 world talents won by Donnarumma with Mbappe in second and Pulisic in third? Nwakali was ranked 46th I think..

Look Sir GoodJoe.... I only hope this phase of preps doesn't take longer than usual.... Nacho is one of the central pieces of our rising new Super Eagles having the likeliest chance of becoming our next golden generation.

I believe so much in discipline and hard work. It is the unseen factor. Neymar would have been a bigger player today if he did not join Barcelona but the young man had his reasons for choosing the Catalan Giants as his next destination when he left Santos. When Neymar joined Barcelona, he lost seven pounds due to the exhaustive training and intense drills. He trained so much until he became Anaemic.

Neymar is not getting the kind of praises he would have gotten because Messi takes most of the glory. Suarez also.

But with the lessons in Neymar's system, when he gets that freedom like he did when Messi was injured, he will shine like a million stars.

If Nacho did not notice improvement while working with Guardiola, he would leave. He clearly stated he has a lot to learn.

The NxtGen list are just praises. What we need from Nacho is to soak in the training his getting and take his chances when they come.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:55am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Oga Sir.... I have been quite "Engaged" I must confess. But I just had to try to not miss the party of today.... Coz I was sure even without Mikel and moses... that Senegalese team won't beat us.

So much for being the stronger on paper.... grin

Kudos to you all here who held sway....

My guy, nothing do you. I missed your posts here ever since I came back from months of ban. I used to have the Odenigboaroli moniker.
Anyway, I hope you have disengaged... Lol

And thanks so much for the analysis. I needed them, I was in the blind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:51am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Awwwwwwwwn.... Thank You Kind Sir.... Nice to see you here too.... Wow.... the house is bigger now.... *smiles* Sir Joseph1013.... we need to do some renovation work ooo.... we need more rooms biko.... the thread is better and bigger and I am happy seeing all these "faces" (well, actually monikers... both new and occasional posters). smiley

Na wa o. You just went ghost on us. You can see our boys, right? Good times!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 7:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. Agreed.. you have observed correctly!

Let's not stress Iwobi for the Cameroon game. Is Aluko a more improved player compared to when he was with Hull before promotion?

Iheanacho is our 9 for now because of lack of a potent 9. Maybe Rohr should look Odey's direction. We need a natural 9. that will convert 2 or 3 out of 3..lol . I guess Iheanacho will not be fielded as a #10 now or in the nearest future.

its like rohr is comfortable with KC as d 9... He does not think twice b4 fielding him... I would like us to use him as d SS in our next friendly... Also i wanna see d ASSISTant(bazee) in action
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:27am On Mar 24, 2017
neighy:
its like rohr is comfortable with KC as d 9... He does not think twice b4 fielding him... I would like us to use him as d SS in our next friendly... Also i wanna see d ASSISTant(bazee) in action

SS to who?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phamarsenal: 7:48am On Mar 24, 2017
I think we should give d boys kudos, dey gave a good account of dem selves. let's not forget DAT it took Cameron d afcon champs penalties to eliminate dis Senegalese team. rohr is doing a good job assembling this young and athletic eagles even d defence is gradually taking shape, we should also understand DAT everybody can't play for d eagles at d same time we clamour for d likes of onyekuru and co BT only few will mk d super eagles not all. I wish d super eagles victory against Burkina Faso

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:18am On Mar 24, 2017
goldfish80:
bros senegal has better players so its a good scoreline for me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:32am On Mar 24, 2017
Nigeria gets good value for Senegal draw
by Calvin Emeka Onwuka 24 March 2017, 09:02

The Super Eagles and the Teranga Lions of Senegal settled for a 1-1 draw in their prestige friendly at the Hive stadium of Barnet Football Club in North London. This was a bruising encounter in which both teams gave as good as they got physically.

The Nigerian coach Geraht Rohr said the choice of Senegal for this friendly was because “they are a strong and very physical side just like Cameroon and so we used this as an opportunity to test ourselves.

This was some test. Senegal settled quicker and better in the opening stages of the first half as would be expected of a team who reached the quarter finals of AFCON just 6 weeks ago. They pressed Nigeria and in those opening moments Kenneth Omeruo was caught out a few times. A cross by Moussaka Sow out on the left was glanced against a post by Cheick Ndoye. A few minutes later Mame Biram Diouf of Stoke City clattered into the back of skipper Ogenyi Onazi with his knee. It was a dangerous and needless assault. Onazi lay sprawled on the turf for while before being carried off on a stretcher.

The introduction of John Ogu for the stricken Onazi changed the game for Nigeria as the physically imposing Ogu alongside the ever improving Wilfred Ndidi started to get to grips with the physicality of Senegal and Nigeria started to play. Also, Omeruo got a grip on this right back position so the team improved. With the improvement came chances.

Kelechi Iheanacho wasted two of the best. First, he was released by an astute pass from Ndidi with only the keeper to beat he dragged his shot wide. And just before half time, quick interchange between Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi had the Arsenal man set up Iheanacho this time inside the 6 yard box he still shot wide. To be fair, Cheick Kouyate made a desperate attempt of a block which probably put him off. Still, a player of his quality should have scored.

Senegal started the second half like a house on fire bit Nigeria were still dangerous on the counter attack. Ten minutes into the second half Diouf broke down the right on a counter. The impressive Ndidi blocked his cross for a corner. From the resultant corner the Nigerians failed to clear properly and during the ping ball that ensued the ball fell to Sow inside the box. He coolly controlled and lashed home. A deserved lead and they continued with the territorial advantage thereafter. For the Nigerian defence William Troost-Ekong was immense. He won everything in the air and seemed to relish the physical challenge.

The introductions of Isaacs Success and Oghene Etebo for Simon and Iwobi got Nigeria back in the game. The Watford forward especially was a handful. One of his jinking runs ended with him setting up Etebo for left footed effort from the edge of the box that the keeper tipped round the post.

Finally the breakthrough came for the Eagles when Senegal lost possession in the middle of the pitch and Etebo sprung Iheanacho quickly. Keeper came out and the striker went over. Penalty. He got up and confidently sent the keeper the wrong way to get his side level.

Both sides pressed hard for the winner but the defences held steady until in injury time. Here another sub Kayode Olarenwaju released Iheanacho edge of the area. The Man City striker chose to shoot when Success and Ogu were better placed, screwing his effort well wide. Final score 1-1. Fair result.

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170324/Nigeria_gets_good_value_for_Senegal_draw

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:34am On Mar 24, 2017
Forgive me Boss Joseph.... smiley I will "try" to show from time to time...... really love the way you all have kept the train moving.

And yes ooooo..... Saw the boys but it is not eureka yet. wink

But I was quite impressed overall. We are indeed becoming hard to beat.

joseph1013:

Na wa o. You just went ghost on us. You can see our boys, right? Good times!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:40am On Mar 24, 2017
Jake Entwistle‏ @JakeEntwistle 10h

Success, Nigeria's #8, has changed the game. He is also a freight train of a human being.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:44am On Mar 24, 2017
Okaaayyyy..... you are Sir Odenigboaroli...... wow!!! I greet you Sir..... smiley

OMANBALA1:

My guy, nothing do you. I missed your posts here ever since I came back from months of ban. I used to have the Odenigboaroli moniker.
Anyway, I hope you have disengaged... Lol

And thanks so much for the analysis. I needed them, I was in the blind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:48am On Mar 24, 2017
This is partly why He is called "The Beast" grin grin grin

Even in my Dream League soccer squad online in single and multiplayer mode... Success wears my no.8 and is a powerful locomotive upfront... plus his combo with Iheanacho makes me shock some big team gamers who uses Messi and Ronaldo in attack. loollll

Abeg... Success is here to stay..... anyone who calls this dude a waste again will here from Yara Yara and my lawyers..... angry

joseph1013:
Jake Entwistle‏ @JakeEntwistle 10h

Success, Nigeria's #8, has changed the game. He is also a freight train of a human being.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by vIckyy10: 8:52am On Mar 24, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:14am On Mar 24, 2017
Isaac Success impressive in half-hour cameo on Nigeria debut at Barnet's The Hive stadium

Success catches the eye on Nigeria debut at The Hive

Isaac Success enjoyed a lively Nigeria debut after being introduced for the final half-hour of their 1-1 draw with Senegal at The Hive this evening.

His arrival on the hour mark coincided with a resurgence from the Super Eagles, who had been largely on the back foot until that point and deservedly trailed through Moussa Sow’s close-range finish after 54 minutes.

Deployed on the right of a front three, Success looked notably energetic and settled any early nerves by winning his country a corner within minutes of coming on.

He was later booked for a rash challenge on Cheikh Ndoye when trying to win back a ball he had lost, but moments later the Super Eagles intercepted the free-kick and raced forward.
Kalechi Iheanacho was then taken out by Senegal goalkeeper Pape Seydou N’Diaye, and picked himself up to level from the spot.

Success saw little of the ball in the final throes of the game but looked dangerous whenever he did, and won a free-kick in a threatening position right by the corner flag, which the Super Eagles then wasted.

The final whistle was greeted with an impromptu pitch invasion at The Hive, with Premier League stars Alex Iwobi, Sadio Mane and Success among those mobbed.

Senegal: Pape Seydou; Wague (Mane 65), Koulibaly, Kouyate, C Mbengue (A Mbengue 75); Nguette, N’Doye, Gueye, Sane; Sow (Diedhiou 70), Diouf.
Not used: Gassama, N’Diaye, Diallo, Toure, Ciss, Saivet.

Nigeria: Akpeyi; Troost-Ekong, Omerou, Balogun, Elderson; Simon (Success 60), Ndidi, Onazi (Ogu 25); Iwobi (Etebo 61), Iheanacho, Musa (Kayode 75).
Not used: Shehu, Awaziem, Ebuehi, Ezenwa.

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/15178377.Success_catches_the_eye_on_Nigeria_debut_at_The_Hive/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:23am On Mar 24, 2017
Watford and Nigeria forward Isaac Success 'disappointed' with comments over his fitness and says he could play 'more than 90 minutes' for Watford if asked

Isaac Success has made just one start for Watford since joining in the summer. Picture: Action Images

Watford super-sub Isaac Success says he is ready to play a full 90 minutes for the Hornets and has been left "disappointed" by comments regarding his fitness by the club's hierarchy.

The 20-year-old admitted he would not use his surname to describe his first season in English football, after being picked in Watford head coach Walter Mazzarri's starting line-up only once, and playing a mere 74 minutes for the club since the start of 2017.

Mazzarri has repeatedly insisted Success must improve his fitness if he is to play a significant part in the Italian's squad, and reiterated that view after Saturday's defeat at Crystal Palace.

But the Nigerian forward rebuffed any questions over his stamina following his international debut in last night's 1-1 draw with Senegal at The Hive, and said he "could play even more than 90 minutes" if asked.

He said: "I’m a bit disappointed, everyone at Watford says Isaac is not fit and not ready to play - but for me, I’m ok.

"I played more than 20 minutes here, and looked sharp and fit. I’m just waiting for that same opportunity from [Walter] Mazzarri and everything will be ok - I could play even more than 90 minutes."

The versatile front man was deployed on the right of a front three for the Super Eagles, appearing spritely and potent despite of Senegal's overall dominance on the night.

Success was left unsurprisingly buoyant about making his international bow - but was less enamoured when asked about how he has viewed the rest of the campaign.

"For me, it’s been disappointing because I have a target for myself as a player but I haven’t achieved that since the season started," he said. "I just keep working hard, and wait for the right time to come.

"It’s a privilege to play for the national side. I had a good debut for myself and the team had a good game, and we’re waiting to go on and win on Monday [against Burkina Faso].

"When I came on, we got a lot of opportunities and we pushed forward to attack and make more chances to equalise, and we’re happy to have done that.

"We didn’t get the victory, but we got a draw and we’ll need to be a bit better with our shooting in the next game."

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/15178444._Disappointed__Success_insists_he_is_fit_to_play_full_90_minutes/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:28am On Mar 24, 2017
Leicester Midfielder Ndidi Named Man Of The Match After Lively Display Vs Senegal

Leicester City rising star Wilfred Ndidi produced an imperious display in Thursday night’s international friendly between Nigeria and Senegal at the Hive Stadium.

The Nigeria Football Federation are in agreement with the spectators and journalists who watched the game, and named the former Racing Genk midfielder the Man of the Match in their review of the friendly.

Ahmed Musa would have opened the scoring in the 32nd minute but missed the chance after an attack initiated by his Foxes teammate.

Wilfred Ndidi rattled Abdoulaye Diallo on 62 minutes and 15 minutes later, the ex-Nigeria U20 international’s clever pass enabled Success to cause anxiety in the Senegal box.

The Leicester City number 25 won his seventh cap for Nigeria in the friendly against the Teranga Lions.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22476

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:44am On Mar 24, 2017
Here is the Official NFF report on the game........ smiley

...................................................…...................................................

Eagles, Lions battle to score draw in power game

Nigeria and Senegal played out a 1-1 draw in what was a brilliant advertisement of Africa’s renowned power game at The Hive in London on Thursday night.

2017 Africa Cup of Nations quarter finalists Senegal started hard and fast, hoping to browbeat the Super Eagles and get an early goal, but they encountered a Nigerian squad that refused to be intimidated and was ready to give as much as it received on the night.

Kelechi Iheanacho won the first corner kick after a good dribble run, but at the other end, Adama Mbengue and Idrissa Gueye combined brilliantly to rattle the Eagles’ defence, the latter’s header striking the upright with Daniel Akpeyi stranded.

From then, Gueye, Cheikh Kouyate, Opa Nguette, Cheikh Ndoye and Moussa Wague all combined to make Nigeria sweat, but the Eagles would have gone in front on the quarter hour mark after a delightful touch by Iheanacho freed Iwobi to set up Moses Simon, whose shot was charged down.

Nine minutes later, injury forced captain Ogenyi Onazi to exit the game, making way for the big John Ogu, who matched the Senegalese in size in the middle and somewhat provided food for thought for the Lions.

Akpeyi tipped over a goal –bound free kick by Senegal in the 27th minute, and five minutes later, Ahmed Musa forfeited an opportunity for Nigeria to go into the lead after wasting a glorious Ndidi, Ogu and Iheanacho onslaught.

In the 36th minute, Iheanacho streamed past the Lions’ defence, only to drag his shot too wide, and three minutes later, Akpeyi had to stretch full length to stop a fierce drive by Ndoye. Just before recess, Iheanacho missed narrowly at the end of a clever move by Iwobi and Moses Simon.

Senegal, who reached the 2002 FIFA World Cup quarter -finals, started the second half like a house on fire, winning a number of free kicks in the Eagles area. In the 54th minute, Moussa Sow profited from a poor punch of the ball by Akpeyi to blast the Lions into the lead.

Seconds later, Akpeyi had to be alert to palm away another fierce shot from the rampaging Lions, and Nguette came close again in the 58th minute. But the tenor of the game changed on the hour mark, after Nigeria brought in Oghenekaro Etebo for Iwobi and Moses Simon made way for Isaac Success.

Nigeria’s man-of-the-match Ndidi rattled Abdoulaye Diallo in the 62nd minute, and 15 minutes later, the former junior international’s clever pass enabled Success to cause anxiety in the Senegal box.

Four minutes later, Nigeria, who had won nine of 20 previous encounters with Senegal, were on level terms. Olanrewaju Kayode, who came in for Ahmed Musa in the 75th minute, burst into space to intercept the ball from the Senegalese, and then centred for Iheanacho, who drove past his marker but was brought down by Diallo. The Manchester City forward picked himself up to score from the spot.

Meanwhile, central defenders Leon Balogun and William Ekong paid close attention to Liverpool ace Sadio Mane, who came in as a substitute for the Lions late in the second half.

The Eagles effectively took over after the equalizer, and could have won when, two minutes into added time, the nimble –footed Ndidi cleverly won the ball on the left wing and found Iheanacho, whose shot narrowly skimmed away from goal.

On Monday, the Super Eagles, unbeaten since losing a Cup of Nations qualifying match to Egypt in Alexandria on 29th March 2016, will take on Burkina Faso’s Etalons at the same venue.

Source: http://www.thenff.com/2017/03/eagles-lions-battle-to-score-draw-in-power-game/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:52am On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:

SS to who?
Success

I believe my starting line-up yesterday had Kelechi and Success starting together

Meanwhile, Oga Icon, those senior citizens on the other thread need to come down to 2017 with the rest of us. They should stop obsessing over Yekini, imagine them saying Kelechi cannot break Yekini's record.

Biko, was it not a record that was made when there was no offside? They say Kelechi is too wasteful, the stats don't reflect that....even when he wastes, he certainly makes up for it. Not like Yekini was scoring hat tricks every game

Some people should sha stop feeling old with themselves. If a player at 20 already has 6 goals in about 10 games or less for us, I don't see how he can't break a 37-goal record at 25

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:55am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
This is partly why He is called "The Beast" grin grin grin

Even in my Dream League soccer squad online in single and multiplayer mode... Success wears my no.8 and is a powerful locomotive upfront... plus his combo with Iheanacho makes me shock some big team gamers who uses Messi and Ronaldo in attack. loollll

Abeg... Success is here to stay..... anyone who calls this dude a waste again will here from Yara Yara and my lawyers..... angry

I wonder why we are yet to get a formal apology from Komekn as regards Isaac and Ndidi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:15am On Mar 24, 2017
safarigirl:
Success

I believe my starting line-up yesterday had Kelechi and Success starting together

Meanwhile, Oga Icon, those senior citizens on the other thread need to come down to 2017 with the rest of us. They should stop obsessing over Yekini, imagine them saying Kelechi cannot break Yekini's record.

Biko, was it not a record that was made when there was no offside? They say Kelechi is too wasteful, the stats don't reflect that....even when he wastes, he certainly makes up for it. Not like Yekini was scoring hat tricks every game

Some people should sha stop feeling old with themselves. If a player at 20 already has 6 goals in about 10 games or less for us, I don't see how he can't break a 37-goal record at 25

We all hope he does this but that should not be his aim. He should target team success and the rest will follow.

(1) (2) (3) ... (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) (696) (697) ... (16204) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Mujtahida, KpagoGIN(m), Henrique99, cromz(m), Dsimmer and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.