Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,691 members, 7,865,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:14 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (697) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11960760 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (694) (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) ... (16373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Senegal 1-1 Nigeria : Players Rating – MOTM Ndidi, Iwobi Flops, Top Marks For Ogu, Success & Iheanacho

The Super Eagles of Nigeria yesterday maintained their unbeaten run under coach Gernot Rohr by forcing the Teranga Lions of Senegal to a 1-1 draw in a friendly game played in London yesterday.

Owngoalnigeria.com's Michael James who watched the game live on behalf of this football portal gives his ratings on the performances of the Super Eagles players at The Hive Stadium.

Daniel Akpeyi – Could and should have done better in dealing with the corner kick which lead to the only goal scored by the Senegalese. Made some routine saves but looks unconvincing when it comes to reading corner kicks….. 6/10

Kenneth Omeruo – Preferred ahead of newly invited Tyroone Ebuehi to start at right back, and the on loan Chelsea man didn’t disappoint despite playing out of position. He was very solid in defending but added nothing in terms of joining the attack even when he had the chance…..6.5/10

Elderson Echiejile – Solid display, his best performance in a Super Eagles shirt for a while. Picked up a booking for a needful foul in the second half as Senegal threatened on the counter. One major flaw was his failure to join the attack owing to his abilities to whip in crosses…..7/10

Leon Balogun – Commander in Chief of the Eagles backline. Continued his “Oyibo Wall” partnership with William Troost Ekong at the heart of Nigeria defence,can partly be blamed for Moussa Sow’s goal. However the Mainz 05 man brings about calm, assuredness and organisation to the Eagles defence…..7/10.

William Troost Ekong – Very solid in duels, especially aerial battles although he looks unconvincing with the ball at his feet. Grew into the game in the second half and his physical edge helped him in putting Senegal’s front men in check…..7.5/10

Ogenyi Onazi – The stand in captain lasted just 25 minutes, no thanks to a knee kick to his back which lead to his substitution. For the period he was on, he displayed a willingness to get stuck in and didn’t shy away from physical duels…..4/10

Wilfred Ndidi (Man of The Match)- His touches ooze class, very solid in defending and quick in turning defence into attack, provoked memories of former Super Eagles captain Sunday Oliseh with the way he marshaled the midfield. Ndidi’s passing range has also improved beyond imagination in such a short time. Head and shoulders above every player on the pitch last night…..9/10

Alex Iwobi – Had a game to forget for Nigeria as he was guilty of giving away possession cheaply, and struggled to cope with the physical nature of the game. Was rightly substituted by coach Gernot Rohr in the second half…..5.5/10

Moses Simon – Came to life late into the first half when Nigeria dominated the game, did a whole lot of job defensively for his team, and troubled Senegal with his pace and dribbling abilities. Overall didn’t do too badly but can obviously do better…..7/10

Ahmed Musa – Kept aside all the drama that saw him relinquish his role as deputy captain of the team before the game, to deliver a very solid performance on the right for Nigeria. Used his pace to good effect at both ends of the pitch but finally ball often let him down. Substituted after picking a knock….. 7/10

Kelechi Iheanacho – Tucked the penalty that leveled scores for Nigeria with a shrug, guilty of denying Nigeria a clear chance to win the game when he opt to shoot where a pass would have seen Isacc Success tuck the ball into an empty net late into time added on. Showed quick feet to win the penalty which he converted and his deliveries from free kicks was another angle which caught the eyes…..7.5/10

Substitutes:

John Ogu – Big man, who thrives and loves aerial duels, helped Nigeria gained momentum following his introduction for the injured Onazi after 25 minutes. Combined nicely with Ndidi in the midfield, and shielded the defence from pressure. Ogu had his best game in a while for the Eagles, he looks very fit and mobile for his height and big frame…..8/10

Oghenekaro Etebo – Had Nigeria’s first attempt on target, loves to shoot and wants to always get on the ball. His introduction added pace and urgency to the attack of Nigeria which helped Iheanacho to drag Senegal defenders out of position with his runs behind the defence…..6.5/10

Olarenwaju Kayode – Brought in Pace, strength and determination to help out in defence and attack. Wasted a glorious header from ten yards to score, still did enough to earn a rating higher than average….. 6/10

Isaac Success – Beaten to the man of the match award by Wifred Ndidi by just a fraction. The Watford man showed he has what it takes to be a regular in this team. He went past Sengalese defenders with his mesmerising step overs, power and pace. Gave Kalidou Koulibaly a lot to worry about with his forays from the right. If only he can stay fit he will definitely be a regular in this team…..8.5/10

*Michael James reporting from London

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/24/senegal-1-1-nigeria-players-rating-motm-ndidi-iwobi-flops-top-marks-for-ogu-success-iheanacho/

Big shout out to Michael James. His articles are brilliant and his passion for his craft is impressive. Nice player ratings and well explained reasons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:07pm On Mar 24, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6DUYOCQbg

Torino FC vs NPFL All Stars Full match

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:08pm On Mar 24, 2017
Highlights NPFL ALL-Stars 11 vs FOOTBALL SHOOL OF INDIA 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tOdPb-qM6Y

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:21pm On Mar 24, 2017
tbaba1234:
Highlights NPFL ALL-Stars 11 vs FOOTBALL SHOOL OF INDIA 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tOdPb-qM6Y

The guy doing today's game on supersports said the word in India is that these are not the best legs but children whose parents paid alot for them to be there. I think they have collected half a century of goals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:25pm On Mar 24, 2017
maidaboi:
i am disappointed in Nigeria and Senegal two great countries but couldn't aired a simple match

I agree.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:31pm On Mar 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The guy doing today's game on supersports said the word in India is that these are not the best legs but children whose parents paid alot for them to be there. I think they have collected half a century of goals.

Possible
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:12pm On Mar 24, 2017
India? I don't understand

BascoVanVeli:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:16pm On Mar 24, 2017
AFC Wimbledon Goalkeeper Visits Super Eagles London Camp, Holds Talks With Rohr

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that AFC Wimbledon goalkeeper Edward Ogbebor-Onaiwu visited the Super Eagles Crowne Plaza Hotel camp on Wednesday, ahead of their friendly with Senegal.

Contrary to speculations in the local media, the former Charlton Athletic wonderkid was never in contention to be handed a late call-up to the national team following the injury sustained by Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme and the non-availability of Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa.

Though Ogbebor-Onaiwu held a private chat with Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr, it is understood one of the topics discussed was about committing his international future to the three-time African champions.

The 17-year-old, who is eligible to represent England, remains uncapped, but he trained with the Golden Eaglets back in 2016.
A product of Crystal Palace, Onaiwu was accompanied by his agent at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22482
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:17pm On Mar 24, 2017
safarigirl:

He plays alongside Success in a 4-4-2 or he plays between Success and Iwobi in a 4-3-3.

Rohr typically plays 4-5-1.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
Wolves GK Carl Ikeme Unlikely To Recover Before Burkina Faso Friendly

Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Carl Ikeme is unlikely to recover before the Super Eagles next international friendly with Burkina Faso at the Hive Stadium.

The Nigeria Football Federation are optimistic that the Super Eagles first-choice goalie has not suffered a serious injury as they await the result of the scan conducted.

“Carl (Ikeme) has been having hamstring and Achilles tendon issues but we did a scan on Wednesday night and we await the result. It is however good that the other goalkeepers are here,” Super Eagles team doctor Ibrahim Gyaran told thenff.com.

In the absence of Ikeme, Chippa United goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi was selected ahead of Ikechukwu Ezenwa in Thursday’s meeting against Senegal.

The Super Eagles will lock horns with Burkina Faso on Monday in London.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22480
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:42pm On Mar 24, 2017
Nigeria's National Team Gradually Bouncing Back - Fans

Football enthusiasts in Enugu have applauded Thursday's 1-1 draw in the international friendly match between Super Eagles and Teranga Lions of Senegal.

The enthusiasts on Friday said that Nigeria's national team was gradually bouncing back to reckoning in Africa and the world.
They however expressed regret that the match was not broadcast live.

Norbert Okolie, Chairman, Sports Writers Association (SWAN), Enugu Chapter, said the a 1-1 draw means that the Super Eagle is getting better day-by-day.

"Senegal national team is a force to reckon with in Africa at the moment and they are in form; so, it only takes a brave team to stop them," he said.

Okolie advised the players to up their performance against Bukina-Faso in their next game, stressing that the match would be more physical than the one against Senegal.

Also, Crime Busters Team Manager, Ebere Amarizu, expressed happiness that the national team was growing with each game.

Amarizu recalled that since Gernot Rohr took charge of the Super Eagles, the team had not lost a match, and urged them to ensure victory against Bukina-Faso on Monday.

"What baffles me was the rate of players' discovery, and the coach still gets good results with unknown players.

"Let us not forget that senior players like, Mikel Obi, Brown Ideye and others were not in the team, and beside Ekpeyi Daniel performed in the absence of Karl Ikeme," he said.

Enugu State Boxing Coach, Blaise Ude, said that the match was a good one for Super Eagles as they prepare for 2019 Nations Cup qualifier with South Africa and the 2018 World Cup double header with Cameroon.

"Had it been we won the match, it would have been better. A victory over Bukina-Faso will be a morale boaster for their subsequent matches ahead," he said.

Another enthusiast, Otu Abam, said that the players showed that they were committed to do the country proud all the time.

"In fact, the players did a great job against Senegal and all I have to say is that the days of Clemens Westerhof era is gradually coming back," Abam said.

Moussa Sow gave the Senegalese the lead in the 54th minute while Kelechi Iheanacho, restored parity for the Super Eagles in the 83rd minute.

Rohr's men will on March 27 face Bukina-Faso in another friendly at the same venue in London.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201703240745.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:44pm On Mar 24, 2017
i'm sure they are still aware of Ighalo's goals drought.. lol But let me not diminish him. Let's remember him in his good times. But I hope we all agree here the current Super Eagles don't need the duo of Ighalo and Ideye. We've tried him again and again. Especially as we have new players that deserve to be tested. How about Anichebe, physical-wise?

Me I will prefer Etebo as our number 10 oh, Although Mikel is still relevant. But at least it's a good thing that we finally have some good competition in that department.

TheSuperNerd:
On Ighalo and Ideye.... loll... I just called their names coz normally, their presence will still strike fear into some African teams as Ideye is an Afcon champion with loads of experience and Ighalo's exploits in the EPL is still known plus both are physical kinda players who can hold their own against battering ram teams like Senegal .....

Etebo's performance... well... he didn't really light up the show. But he did enough to battle the physical nature of the game the lions were giving us which made Iwobi lost.

Etebo gave us stability and presence in his role as the AMF. He didn't shy away from getting those legs jammed with the Senegalese in the time he featured.
He also had an effort in the second half parried away for a corner.

Etebo remains the only player in the Eagles who has more lungs and steel than anyone... even more than Ndidi (Ndidi na fireworks on him own sef) and Onazi combined.... he is a powerhouse of an explosive player himself but we didn't see much of his explosive side as he didn't train enough with the team and even arrived late for the game... maybe against Burkina Faso, his A-game will pick up pace... smiley

I'm happy to see that i'm not the only one who has noticed how dreaded that Success-Iheanacho partnership can be. Owngoal even rated Success very highly and he was just a 2nd half sub-in.

And on Success and Iheanacho partnership.... Sir Joebie... this is what Sir theGoodJoe and I have been praying for... He calls it the league of Extraordinary hitmen.... grin

In this league, we also speak of Osimhen (can't wait for him to get the ball rolling at Wolfsburg when he is fully fit), Iwobi as the AMF, and then the backups... smiley

You have spoken correctly about our options in the other department. I think what we need is a solid 9, although with Iheanacho we can survive without a natural 9. And also better options in defense. We need full backs that can really support the attack.

I think Musa Muhammed will become a starter before the world cup. At least 5 of the UAE U-17 boys will be in SE by then. Come to think of Osihmen and Orji Okonkwo as well. The future is definitely bright. Rohr is a lucky man!

I read he spoke with Ola Aina.. Who else are you looking at from the England-born players?

On Good additions to this team.... well, thankfully, Success is finally in.

Now we await the additions of Players like Brian Idowu as cover for Echiejile.... Moses Odubajo as quality option as right back to battle Ebuehi and Musa Mohammed..... Kenny Otigba as cover for our oyibo wall and competition for Agbo and a young Awaziem..... Mikel Agu and Esiti will find it very difficult breaking into our team as Ndidi, Onazi and Ogu are all top quality.... Sone Aluko to compete for the AMF slot even though I feel Iwobi owns it in the long run alongside even Iheanacho....... Henry Onyekuru and Samuel Kalu on the wings as options and covers for our regulars....... Nwokolor and Emma Daniel for our Goalkeeping dept as options to Ikeme and Akpeyi (Alampasu should get his club ish sorted...).

Sometimes I wish Alban Lafont was Nigerian.... loollll....

And ohhh... I just for notification that Brazil killed Uruguay 4-1.... in WC qualifying... Chaaaiiiiii... see why we need quality all over the place in our team....?? We must build a world class team whether we like it or not ooooo.....

Then finally.... Rohr should beam his searchlights on the relevant foreignborn talents we need to beef up our Super Eagles backup quality options...

He has done well to get Ebuehi and Bazee... now a few others hopefully will follow.... especially from England.... within the next one year or less((I know Sir Komekn will love this)) grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:46pm On Mar 24, 2017
i'm sure they are still aware of Ighalo's goals drought.. lol But let me not diminish him. Let's remember him in his good times. But I hope we all agree here the current Super Eagles don't need the duo of Ighalo and Ideye. We've tried him again and again. Especially as we have new players that deserve to be tested. How about Anichebe, physical-wise?

Me I will prefer Etebo as our number 10 oh, Although Mikel is still relevant. But at least it's a good thing that we finally have some good competition in that department.

You have spoken correctly about our options in the other department. I think what we need is a solid 9, although with Iheanacho we can survive without a natural 9. And also better options in defense. We need full backs that can really support the attack.

I think Musa Muhammed will become a starter before the world cup. At least 5 of the UAE U-17 boys will be in SE by then. Come to think of Osihmen and Orji Okonkwo as well. The future is definitely bright. Rohr is a lucky man!

I read he spoke with Ola Aina.. Who else are you looking at from the England-born players?

TheSuperNerd:
On Ighalo and Ideye.... loll... I just called their names coz normally, their presence will still strike fear into some African teams as Ideye is an Afcon champion with loads of experience and Ighalo's exploits in the EPL is still known plus both are physical kinda players who can hold their own against battering ram teams like Senegal .....

Etebo's performance... well... he didn't really light up the show. But he did enough to battle the physical nature of the game the lions were giving us which made Iwobi lost.

Etebo gave us stability and presence in his role as the AMF. He didn't shy away from getting those legs jammed with the Senegalese in the time he featured.
He also had an effort in the second half parried away for a corner.

Etebo remains the only player in the Eagles who has more lungs and steel than anyone... even more than Ndidi (Ndidi na fireworks on him own sef) and Onazi combined.... he is a powerhouse of an explosive player himself but we didn't see much of his explosive side as he didn't train enough with the team and even arrived late for the game... maybe against Burkina Faso, his A-game will pick up pace... smiley

I'm happy to see that i'm not the only one who has noticed how dreaded that Success-Iheanacho partnership can be. Owngoal even rated Success very highly and he was just a 2nd half sub-in.

And on Success and Iheanacho partnership.... Sir Joebie... this is what Sir theGoodJoe and I have been praying for... He calls it the league of Extraordinary hitmen.... grin

In this league, we also speak of Osimhen (can't wait for him to get the ball rolling at Wolfsburg when he is fully fit), Iwobi as the AMF, and then the backups... smiley

On Good additions to this team.... well, thankfully, Success is finally in.

Now we await the additions of Players like Brian Idowu as cover for Echiejile.... Moses Odubajo as quality option as right back to battle Ebuehi and Musa Mohammed..... Kenny Otigba as cover for our oyibo wall and competition for Agbo and a young Awaziem..... Mikel Agu and Esiti will find it very difficult breaking into our team as Ndidi, Onazi and Ogu are all top quality.... Sone Aluko to compete for the AMF slot even though I feel Iwobi owns it in the long run alongside even Iheanacho....... Henry Onyekuru and Samuel Kalu on the wings as options and covers for our regulars....... Nwokolor and Emma Daniel for our Goalkeeping dept as options to Ikeme and Akpeyi (Alampasu should get his club ish sorted...).

Sometimes I wish Alban Lafont was Nigerian.... loollll....

And ohhh... I just for notification that Brazil killed Uruguay 4-1.... in WC qualifying... Chaaaiiiiii... see why we need quality all over the place in our team....?? We must build a world class team whether we like it or not ooooo.....

Then finally.... Rohr should beam his searchlights on the relevant foreignborn talents we need to beef up our Super Eagles backup quality options...

He has done well to get Ebuehi and Bazee... now a few others hopefully will follow.... especially from England.... within the next one year or less((I know Sir Komekn will love this)) grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:51pm On Mar 24, 2017
Mickael2:

guess who had a good game...why Ndidi of Course grin

guess who didn't have such a good game....why Onazi of coursegrin
Ndidi great guy but on Onazi d guy had good 25 mins b4 d injury,so what are u saying coz we want healthy rivalry in d team not pulling one down and praising d other syndrome.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:52pm On Mar 24, 2017
CHELSEA KID TO DITCH ENGLAND FOR NIGERIA? SUPER EAGLES CONFIRM OLA AINA TALKS
Nizaar Kinsella

The Blues full-back is wanted by the country of his parents' birth and watched the 1-1 draw with Senegal at Barnet.

Chelsea youngster Ola Aina is wanted by Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr as he considers his international future with England.

The 20-year-old was born in London and has made dozens of appearances for England at youth level, but a lack of appearances at Chelsea is hindering his chances of further progress.

He has left himself out of the picture for England's Under-21s team while he makes a decision on who to represent at international level.

Although a definitive decision has yet to be made by Aina, talks have been ongoing between Nigeria and the player for months.
Chelsea’s top five teenage stars

The Super Eagles' head coach Rohr was asked to clarify his intentions concerning Aina after his side's 1-1 draw with Senegal on Thursday.

"It is normal to have this situation, when we have very good player [like Ola Aina] who can pick two teams," Rohr said in response to Goal. "We always leave the door open to young talent."

Aina was in attendance at the match with his family at Barnet FC's The Hive Stadium and he was seen cheering on Nigeria, as Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho equalised, after an earlier Moussa Sow strike put Senegal ahead .

Ex-Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel admitted back in October that he has been trying to convince Aina to swap England for Nigeri a as the pair trained together on the fringes of Antonio Conte's first-team squad.

Aina only made his Chelsea debut in August against Bristol City after signing a new deal over the summer. However, he has since gone on to only add two starts and four more appearances since then.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-gb/news/683/main/2017/03/24/33958892/chelsea-kid-to-ditch-england-for-nigeria-super-eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2017
Mickael2:

I'd assume you understood what you typed. you said he is NOT a ball player like Mikel, you didn't compare him euthaNized, you just pointed out that Mikel is a ballplayer and he isnt. So in essence what you said is that is not an intelligent ball player

Perception is not fact and perception is essentially what you wish to perceive.

It's there for all to see.

Make I talk am d way go enter U , make u for no confuse . Mikel is a top class ball player and him and Ndidi no be mate. Tory end.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 7:03pm On Mar 24, 2017
Fringes:

Its been a while. Your mails were all replied buy I got busy and couldn't follow up appropriately.

I'll drop the link to the Whatsapp group however. We would screen and add members up as limited spaces are available.

https://chat,whatsapp.com/Ki4maBqWpVIECKhwlVjN0f
abeg that shouldnt disturb d flow here ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:08pm On Mar 24, 2017
Mickael2:

Iheanacho scored the penalty with his left foot not right, he rolled it in

I'm not sure what your point is, KC is left footed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 7:22pm On Mar 24, 2017
Joebie:

hmm i sha hope anichebe
will have a good run of form after recovery
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:27pm On Mar 24, 2017
You are actually right... the current Super Eagles can fly so high without Ideye and Ighalo now..... I just gave them mentions just to be lenient.....

and yeah..... loollll... they will surely remember Ighalo's drought in front of goal. Anyway... they are still on the fringes of the team.

Anichebe would have been invited if he was fit..... Rohr has his eyes on him too. Anichebe's archilles heel have always been injuries and the timing of the injuries.

For the no 10 role.... I understand your preference for Etebo.... that dude is a powerhouse player and never get tired.... plus he is technically gifted and got goals in him. Defensively, he is also an asset..... But still you cannot say Etebo will just play there when Mikel and Iwobi are very much around. The Competition is great and fierce.... just what we need... smiley

On our no.9 role.... yeah... for now, Iheanacho is the man to lead. The lad got the arrogance and Dare to lead. He may make mistakes a few times but he picks up fast and redeems the team eventually. But in the long run... I see The rise of Osimhen at Wolfsburg and a few others making Rohr have a re-think about his main formation because He will always wanna play Nacho who is Nigeria's most lethal offensive weapon.

Meanwhile, Kayode didn't do badly.... I like the verve and ginger he brought to our attack when he came in. He is a good option but not a super solid one in the long run.

Isaac Success can play no.9 but it seems he will cement his place from the flanks. His development and evolution into a wing forward makes him even more Dangerous and unpredictable... his power and pace and instincts plus Technical giftedness are assets he brings to the table. All he needs to do is try step up his fitness to be consistently firing on all cylinders and realising his fullest potentials.

We have a BEAST in Success..... smiley

On the right back role.... well... Musa Mohammed won't have it easy nailing down that shirt as our rightback... a big battle looms in the long run among the likes of Him, Ebuehi, Aina (when he comes in), and Even Odubajo (when he is back and fit again)..... plus a few other options like Nura Abdullahi are also in the fray.

And Russia 2018 may see 3-4 of the 2013 u-17 class but Post-2018.... I expect them to increase in the super Eagles.... smiley

From the 2015 class.... orji, K.Nwakali and Osimhen will likely be the early comers into the team before a few more walk in gradually couple of years later....

Lastly.... from the England-born or English-bred Of Nigerian blood players... I have my eyes on Tammy Abraham (Pinnick seems to have silently won him over so England should forget him), Ovie Ejaria has his mind focused on making an impact at the u-20 world cup with England but may end up with us... he also trained with Nacho and Success and other Many Garba boys in 2013 but schooling denied him the chance to be part of that glorious u-17 team), Josh Maja, Joel Asoro, Ademola Lookman, Fred Onyedimma, Dele Bashiru, Kigbu, Ike Ugbo, Solanke, Dominic Iorfa Jnr,.. etc....

There are many of these English Youngsters with Nigerian blood I can list here but For the team I believe these are some of the few we need from the many.... based on their availability, Talents and what they bring to the table....

But note...... several of these are for the future... the ones for now I wanna see are Aina, Odubajo, Tammy and Ejaria.... and maybe Josh Maja....

About the English borns... I have much to say but let's end it here... Not all are super Eagles materials.... we only need the best and most relevant of the available among them.

Joebie:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
NPFL Allstars are up 1-0 against Sundowns youth team in the future champions cup.
You mean the U17
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:41pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Npfl all stars u-19 side right?

Sir Basco... that reminds me.... smiley

Thanks for providing local content from the home front here too.... really beautiful.... I noticed it couple of pages back and here you are doing it again.... really splendid.

smiley wink

U17
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:45pm On Mar 24, 2017
goldfish80:

I've read through some minute by minute account of the game from various sources and from what I gathered Onazi was heralded for playing a captain's game till he got injured.
You're not doing your reputation any good with some biased and prejudiced comments you've been making over the last few days.

what is your definition of a captain's game? Yobo used to play a captain game but when we replaced him during the Afcon we got better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:46pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Well... yeah.... Sir Komekn do have brilliant posts... buttttttt..... he must take back those words on Isaac The Beast Success......

There is a reason I call that Dude the Beast... and he just showed part of it today...

A match doesn't make a player a season yes but not just one match.

I still haven't seen the match, but the comments made so far particularly by the more objective participants on this forum didn't highlight him as exceptional. And not those who are a bit blinded by exuberant patriotic sentimentality for our boy's and have rose tinted glasses.

But my opinion remains the same. £12.5 million price tag for striker that scored 7 goals in 49 starts for Granada a lowly La Liga side doesn't inspire confidence. I am sure you all know why that money was paid, Italian mafia.

To date he hasn't done anything in the EPL injury or no injury he still a waste man. When he plays he doesn't impose himself on the game, for striker he has very limited presence.

His own manager irrespective of the huge price tag does not rate him. Maybe I should be a bit more diplomatic and say he is a striker with considerable promise that we will be waiting to see him express himself fully this decade.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:49pm On Mar 24, 2017
Kog45:
Ndidi great guy but on Onazi d guy had good 25 mins b4 d injury,so what are u saying coz we want healthy rivalry in d team not pulling one down and praising d other syndrome.

nop, Onazi had something that was very far from a good game. He was average I agree, which is why I said he didn't have such a good game. My only annoyance is that goldfish was actually arguing that Onazi is better than Ndidi which is funny to say the least
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:57pm On Mar 24, 2017
komekn:

I still haven't seen the match, but the comments made so far particularly by the more objective participants on this forum didn't highlight him as exceptional. And not those who are a bit blinded by exuberant patriotic sentimentality for our boy's and have rose tinted glasses.

But my opinion remains the same. £12.5 million price tag for striker that scored 7 goals in 49 starts for Granada a lowly La Liga side doesn't inspire confidence. I am sure you all know why that money was paid, Italian mafia.

To date he hasn't done anything in the EPL injury or no injury he still a waste man. When he plays he doesn't impose himself on the game, for striker he has very limited presence.

His own manager irrespective of the huge price tag does not rate him. Maybe I should be a bit more diplomatic and say he is a striker with considerable promise that we will be waiting to see him express himself fully this decade.

I think the problem is your auto-negative view of our players who are not English groomed. If Success was born in England, you would certainly feel differently about him.

Success is one of the blessings to football. It is difficult to find a player with his kind of ability. It is crazy when you think Success came in about seven (7) minutes to go against Manchester United and completed the most dribbles of the game. Even frightening when he made most dribbles against one of the top defenders Bailly.

Success played on the wings for Granada and not as a striker. Another clear misconception in your post. It was not Italian mafia deal that boosted Success to Watford. He was voted the best player in the Granada team and was wanted by Atletico Madrid.

I am still disappointed that his agent and the Granada management did not sanction his move to Atletico Madrid because Diego Simeone is awesome with young talents and Simeone would have gotten more from Success. I also did not want him to leave the La Liga.

You hide under injuries to tag a player poor, just as you did with Osimhen and you are repeating it with Success.

From your ideology, Gabriel Jesus is poor because he is injured and Ilkay Gundogan is terrible because Injuries have kept him out of the game for several months.

Come on man.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:58pm On Mar 24, 2017
Certitude:

I was also surprised if it was the same success who turned bailey inside out. maybe komekn didn't get to watch him before injury. Nobody replied that comment till now.

In football there is no time for sentimentality sometimes. Your only as good as your last game or your last season. If you get injured how you come back can determine your level present and continous.

Once Michael Owen got injured he never got back and his carrier ended. He lost pace and the rest is history.

The proposition you make, get as he be now bros see as u deh talk. I know see de guy before he was injured

To be brutal it's irrelevant, it is how he is playing now that matters not before. It's the same reasoning that made them invite Osimhen who has not played a competitive game for ages and is injured. We do not rely on past glory.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:03pm On Mar 24, 2017
chimzyblack:
Nobody is talking about how iwobi totally got lost in the game.
Currently there is no one like Mikel in that team.

100% Gboza you talk true.

Too many people are quoting a misquote concerning me to reiterate. The substance of what I said is Mikel is top class ball player and Ndidi in comparison to Mikel is not. Tory end people are not blind unless they choose to be Mikel is still relevant and needed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:04pm On Mar 24, 2017
Sir Komekn.... so I am not objective ba?? So whosoever said Success had a great game are not being objective ba?? So I am just being exuberantly patriotic ba?

Who are these Objective people that labelled Success as not exceptional? because I didn't see such comments from last night till this evening......

some of us saw that game, some of us saw most of that game..... some of us followed live commentaries... via all these channels it was clear to see that Isaac Success had a great game and even pegged the Senegalese back with his presence and trickery down the right.....

...... and you still call him a waste-man.... Well, it is okay Sir...

komekn:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:05pm On Mar 24, 2017
chimzyblack:
Nobody is talking about how iwobi totally got lost in the game.
Currently there is no one like Mikel in that team.

100% Gboza you talk true.

Too many people are quoting a misquote concerning me to reiterate. The substance of what I said is Mikel is top class ball player and Ndidi in comparison to Mikel is not. Tory end people are not blind unless they choose to be Mikel is still relevant and needed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:05pm On Mar 24, 2017
komekn:

we know you already so we are not suprised by your comments, continue sir don't stop

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:09pm On Mar 24, 2017
komekn:

In football there is no time for sentimentality sometimes. Your only as good as your last game or your last season. If you get injured how you come back can determine your level present and continous.

Once Michael Owen got injured he never got back and his carrier ended. He lost pace and the rest is history.

The proposition you make, get as he be now bros see as u deh talk. I know see de guy before he was injured

To be brutal it's irrelevant, it is how he is playing now that matters not before. It's the same reasoning that made them invite Osimhen who has not played a competitive game for ages and is injured. We do not rely on past glory.

You are neglecting the fact that Rohr is more than a manager to these young players. He is also their motivator, support and Adviser too. If Rohr sees a player that has the potential of being a top quality star for the Super Eagles, it is within his right to sort them out.

Walter Mazzari is not giving Success the playing time he needs and from Success statement, he disagrees that he is not fit. Rohr met with Isaac Success and he discussed with him.

Just like I Cried before and our indigenous coaches should learn from the Experienced (Icon4s the last time before the ban) grin coach to pick his stars and build them.

Just like Rohr announced when Etebo was injured that he was interested in Etebo, Rohr sees brilliance in Osimhen and Success. Rohr has a mission to expose thier brilliance using the National team. With Success performance in this game and Etebo's frightening performance in the last, we can clearly see Rohr has his eyes for talents.

It is time for us to watch the Master Tactician work and see what he wants to do with Osimhen and quit the whole injury/playing time critique.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (694) (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) ... (16373) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joebie and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.