Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,779 members, 7,866,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (698) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11962345 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) ... (16374) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:12pm On Mar 24, 2017
komekn:

100% Gboza you talk true.

Too many people are quoting a misquote concerning me to reiterate. The substance of what I said is Mikel is top class ball player and Ndidi in comparison to Mikel is not. Tory end people are not blind unless they choose to be Mikel is still relevant and needed.

Mikel and Ndidi play different roles for the Super Eagles. That is like expecting to see Oliseh as a ball player like Okocha. Or comparing Onazi to Mikel in ball playing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:12pm On Mar 24, 2017
Mickael2:

nop, Onazi had something that was very far from a good game. He was average I agree, which is why I said he didn't have such a good game. My only annoyance is that goldfish was actually arguing that Onazi is better than Ndidi which is funny to say the least
Ok.Michael2(Ndidi)goldfish(Onazi) then two of u should wait for Rohr to decide.All i know w all want d best for eagles irrespective of player fielded.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:14pm On Mar 24, 2017
Sir..... Is there anyone here saying Mikel Obi isn't relevant to the team? or not needed?

So you didn't see where our reports labelled Iwobi as poor??

Why are you like this naa....? why? Ndidi was our MOTM yesterday and now you say you said what you said about him only in comparison to Mikel....

isn't that you trying to subtly shift the goalposts a little.... ?

Anyway shaa.... I did say Iwobi was poor... happy now? I pointed out Mikel as the man to still man that AMF role for us or more like an AM/CM hybrid...

wetin u wan hear again?

komekn:

100% Gboza you talk true.

Too many people are quoting a misquote concerning me to reiterate. The substance of what I said is Mikel is top class ball player and Ndidi in comparison to Mikel is not. Tory end people are not blind unless they choose to be Mikel is still relevant and needed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2017
We can still use Mikel in our team but we have young players like Etebo, Kelechi Nwakali and Iwobi who need to step up to control the creative part of the team. We also have Aluko.

Missing Mikel lies in the creative part of the team and not Ndidi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
Help me tell am oooo.....

Besides.... Mikel was absent yesterday and we had to play someone as the CMF.... since Iwobi played AMF... We know Ndidi has the potentials to operate as a DMF/CMF kinda midfielder.... were we saying he is a competition for Mikel? how is Ndidi a competition or comparison for Mikel? Na wa ooo

TheGoodJoe:

Mikel and Ndidi play different roles for the Super Eagles. That is like expecting to see Oliseh as a ball player like Okocha. Or comparing Onazi to Mikel in ball playing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:23pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Sir..... Is there anyone here saying Mikel Obi isn't relevant to the team? or not needed?

So you didn't see where our reports labelled Iwobi as poor??

Why are you like this naa....? why? Ndidi was our MOTM yesterday and now you say you said what you said about him only in comparison to Mikel....

isn't that you trying to subtly shift the goalposts a little.... ?

Anyway shaa.... I did say Iwobi was poor... happy now? I pointed out Mikel as the man to still man that AMF role for us or more like an AM/CM hybrid...

wetin u wan hear again?

the guy don't want any young player born in Nigeria to shine

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:40pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You are neglecting the fact that Rohr is more than a manager to these young players. He is also their motivator, support and Adviser too. If Rohr sees a player that has the potential of being a top quality star for the Super Eagles, it is within his right to sort them out.

Walter Mazzari is not giving Success the playing time he needs and from Success statement, he disagrees that he is not fit. Rohr met with Isaac Success and he discussed with him.

Just like I Cried before and our indigenous coaches should learn from the Experienced (Icon4s the last time before the ban) grin coach to pick his stars and build them.

Just like Rohr announced when Etebo was injured that he was interested in Etebo, Rohr sees brilliance in Osimhen and Success. Rohr has a mission to expose thier brilliance using the National team. With Success performance in this game and Etebo's frightening performance in the last, we can clearly see Rohr has his eyes for talents.

It is time for us to watch the Master Tactician work and see what he wants to do with Osimhen and quit the whole injury/playing time critique.

Whaaaaattt!!!!

You are hereby..............

in the spirit of.............

sportsmanship granted access to use that word.
But always respect it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:46pm On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Whaaaaattt!!!!

But always respect it.

Thanks. I will respect and uphold the EXPERIENCE Word.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:49pm On Mar 24, 2017
Komekn and forgiveness are two peas in a pod.

It doesn't matter what anyone says of our players, if it's not foreign born and specifically, UK-bred in most cases, it ain't worth shiiit as far as they are concerned
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:52pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks. I will respect and uphold the EXPERIENCE Word.
Good.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2017
Awwwwwwwwwwwn..... and I thought Sir TheGoodJoe will never be allowed.... grin grin grin

Icon4s:

Whaaaaattt!!!!

But always respect it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:05pm On Mar 24, 2017
Sir Komekn is Moussa Dembele's Uncle grin To him we don't have "bonafide" youngsters... the only bonafides are the foreigners and Europeans....

Sir Forgiveness just wants us to have every good option gotten for our team...... I understand that.... His angle is just different but he does want the best for our Super Eagles... but him sef most times no dey gbadun home-made and get some big preferences shaa.... grin Oga Forgiveness.... I lie? grin

safarigirl:
Komekn and forgiveness are two peas in a pod.

It doesn't matter what anyone says of our players, if it's not foreign born and specifically, UK-bred in most cases, it ain't worth shiiit as far as they are concerned
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2017
You have spoken correctly. Nura Abdullahi is one name I forgot. Ejaria I know is committed to Nigeria. How good is Odubajo?

I believe Musa Yahaya will be then next to break into the SE as regards those from the 2013 U17 era. Im sure we will lose a handful of those you mentioned to England.

TheSuperNerd:
You are actually right... the current Super Eagles can fly so high without Ideye and Ighalo now..... I just gave them mentions just to be lenient.....

and yeah..... loollll... they will surely remember Ighalo's drought in front of goal. Anyway... they are still on the fringes of the team.

Anichebe would have been invited if he was fit..... Rohr has his eyes on him too. Anichebe's archilles heel have always been injuries and the timing of the injuries.

For the no 10 role.... I understand your preference for Etebo.... that dude is a powerhouse player and never get tired.... plus he is technically gifted and got goals in him. Defensively, he is also an asset..... But still you cannot say Etebo will just play there when Mikel and Iwobi are very much around. The Competition is great and fierce.... just what we need... smiley

On our no.9 role.... yeah... for now, Iheanacho is the man to lead. The lad got the arrogance and Dare to lead. He may make mistakes a few times but he picks up fast and redeems the team eventually. But in the long run... I see The rise of Osimhen at Wolfsburg and a few others making Rohr have a re-think about his main formation because He will always wanna play Nacho who is Nigeria's most lethal offensive weapon.

Meanwhile, Kayode didn't do badly.... I like the verve and ginger he brought to our attack when he came in. He is a good option but not a super solid one in the long run.

Isaac Success can play no.9 but it seems he will cement his place from the flanks. His development and evolution into a wing forward makes him even more Dangerous and unpredictable... his power and pace and instincts plus Technical giftedness are assets he brings to the table. All he needs to do is try step up his fitness to be consistently firing on all cylinders and realising his fullest potentials.

We have a BEAST in Success..... smiley

On the right back role.... well... Musa Mohammed won't have it easy nailing down that shirt as our rightback... a big battle looms in the long run among the likes of Him, Ebuehi, Aina (when he comes in), and Even Odubajo (when he is back and fit again)..... plus a few other options like Nura Abdullahi are also in the fray.

And Russia 2018 may see 3-4 of the 2013 u-17 class but Post-2018.... I expect them to increase in the super Eagles.... smiley

From the 2015 class.... orji, K.Nwakali and Osimhen will likely be the early comers into the team before a few more walk in gradually couple of years later....

Lastly.... from the England-born or English-bred Of Nigerian blood players... I have my eyes on Tammy Abraham (Pinnick seems to have silently won him over so England should forget him), Ovie Ejaria has his mind focused on making an impact at the u-20 world cup with England but may end up with us... he also trained with Nacho and Success and other Many Garba boys in 2013 but schooling denied him the chance to be part of that glorious u-17 team), Josh Maja, Joel Asoro, Ademola Lookman, Fred Onyedimma, Dele Bashiru, Kigbu, Ike Ugbo, Solanke, Dominic Iorfa Jnr,.. etc....

There are many of these English Youngsters with Nigerian blood I can list here but For the team I believe these are some of the few we need from the many.... based on their availability, Talents and what they bring to the table....

But note...... several of these are for the future... the ones for now I wanna see are Aina, Odubajo, Tammy and Ejaria.... and maybe Josh Maja....

About the English borns... I have much to say but let's end it here... Not all are super Eagles materials.... we only need the best and most relevant of the available among them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:14pm On Mar 24, 2017
Gents.

There is a pending issue on ground.

The team is gradually gelling and even the RB and LB problems we had are gradually being sorted out.

The back up goal keeper (for the short term) is also IMO no longer a problem Akpeyi has 3ce proven he is up to the task.

Guys! We dnt have a first choice goalie!

Ikeme has proven that he cannot be trusted.

In the do or die return leg clash against Egypt. He was ruled out.

In the crucial 2018 WC qualifiers game against Algeria same happened.

And now again in crucial grade A friendly against Senegal he got injured.

Na so we go dey continue?

We go wan play Cameroun now the guy go injure.

Guys lets discuss.
We all here are stake holders as far Nigerian football is concerned.

Info i got is that for Rohr, his crew and the NFF this was the last straw that broke the Camel's back.

What are our options?
1. Call back Enyeama
2. Promote Akpeyi to first choice and make Ikeme a back up.
3. Promote Akpeyi to first choice and stop inviting Ikeme and promote one of the young goalies ti 3rd choice.
4. Some would say we make one of the young goalies first choice.
5. Leave Ikeme as first choice. Any day he is fit he keeps goal else Akpeyi keeps goal. Just like it is presently.
6. Any other option.

Knowing that this a decision we need to make before the AFCON qualifiers in june and WC qualifiers in August we need an immediate solution first before thinking of the long term.

Lets discuss this burning issue pls.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Awwwwwwwwwwwn..... and I thought Sir TheGoodJoe will never be allowed.... grin grin grin

Just bc i am in a happy mood over last night's semi-victory.

Besides, he has also started becoming an apostle of EXPERIENCE. He knows what i am talking about.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:27pm On Mar 24, 2017
ChrisKels:

There's no doubt about that, I for one love him for one thing, his astuteness about the game but I hate the fact that he doesn't see nothing good in Nigerian players unless the said player comes from the English system. Imagine him questioning Bazee's invitation, calling success a waste etc etc. He is so effing bias and I believe he is an agent of many of those mediocre but over rated innit boys, little wonder he keeps rigmaroling on this thread insulting our boys who made it from this harsh 9ja weather.

First of all yes I am involved in football but I am not an agent.

First assumption wrong I was actively seeking Sunday Mba and Etebor to come to the Premiership. When both were in Warri Wolves. I mentioned Mba before I am accused of tribalism with regards to Etebo. But the red eye hungry guys around them made us withdraw. Yes I go watch Warri Wolves inside Sun for Warri I don't just sit in Protea hotel.

Let's equate the Bundesliga 2, is it Superior to the Championship or even League one. It's open to debate. However, how many professional league games has Bazee played compared to Onyedinma who is in the same age range although actually younger , plays as a winger or midfield. Voted Man of the match at 18 playing against Charlton in championship for Millwall. Onyedinma has played 85 professional league games and Bazee has played 26. So if I consider Onyedinma a better prospect is that bias or informed rational assessment.

When Onyedinma will now sign for a premiership team for £10 million plus. Then we will start to lobby too cap him when maybe it's too late.

So who have I insulted State facts and not assumed sentimentality or quoting those who have totally misquoted me.

I have mentioned Tega Abraham 3rd highest goalscorers in the championship or am being biased because he is from Delta. Scoring twenty goals in the championship is not Ewah & Dodo. Or we could mention Oviemuno at Liverpool played already a few first team games.Or Tega Onumah at Tottenham played 12 games same number as £30 million Sissoko.

So is this irrational to say they should be courted now and not later. Or I am being biased towards England innit boys as some have said.

I could talk of all the Naija boys in Chelsea but there is not enough space. Some of all these boys from obscure leagues in Europe would probably not be able to get into Chelsea youth set up. So what is the bias.

I find this forum educative, informative and conversant I have learned a lot about NPFL. Indeed one of the reasons I found myself in Warri watching Etebor. And he is not the only one I have watched.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2017
7 Positives Nigeria Can Draw from the Senegal Draw
Add Comment1 min agoby Bryan Efe91 Views
Daily Post

KicKed by Bryan Efe
Share:
FacebookTwitterGoogle

After the tension filled build up to the Nigeria versus Senegal international friendly brought about by anxieties from late arrivals on both sides; accounts of stranded Senegalese players; and the bizarre news of a relatively unknown goalkeeper who suddenly found his way to the Super Eagles fold, the game has finally come and gone. Here are the seven positives Nigeria can draw from the Senegal draw:

GREAT TEST: The match was a true test of how Nigeria could fare against a physical team similar to their World Cup qualifying foe, Cameroon. From Nigeria’s performance, we can gladly say the players collectively adjusted quickly to the circumstance. Pulling a fine performance against a team like Senegal who was one of the AFCON favorites in Gabon earlier in the year, a team placed higher according to FIFA’s latest monthly rankings, and a team with arguably more established players in Europe compared to the youthful Nigerian team, we can say indeed that Nigeria has shown great promise by this feat
OMERUO STILL HAS A PROMISING FUTURE: Omeruo’s performance in right back showed that we may not be lacking in that department after all. We can attribute his fine showing to his regular outing in the Turkish league, and how his Alanyaspor coach have used him in positions other than his familiar Center-Back role.
ISAAC SUCCESS IS THE TRUTH: We have found a solid physical force in the Watford forward. He is the perfect man to trouble Cameroon. He once bullied Eric Bailey of Manchester United during Watford’s famous home win against the Red Devils in the current Premier League season. He again showed that potential when he came against Senegalese defenders. He will definitely get another call up. Success has cemented a place for himself in the Super Eagles after this fine debut.
NIGERIA STILL YET TO LOSE UNDER ROHR: Gernot Rohr is still yet to experience his first loss since taking over as coach of the Super Eagles. That Nigeria could come back against a cohesive Senegal, outlines the fact that Nigeria can even do better going forward. Rohr should definitely get the credit.
IHEANACHO IS 5 OUT OF 8: Kelechi Iheanacho has shown great potential in the green-white-green especially in front of goal. He has scored five times after eight international caps. Should he keep this momentum, he could end up becoming Nigeria’s all time highest goal scorer, especially considering that he is still yet to reach his peak in the game.
OGU-NDIDI PARTNERSHIP: Ogenyi Onazi’s injury led to the introduction of John Ogu in his place, and like a blessing in disguise, the Super Eagles midfield did not just have a new look but a solid one — “indeedi”. Could this be the end of the long standing Mikel-Onazi midfield partnership? Never mind the question as Mikel is mostly seen in the attacking midfield role.
IWOBI IS NOT RIPE FOR THIS: As far as the African game is concerned, Iwobi should be left to study proceedings from the bench, before introduction. He again was not his usual Premier League self against Senegal, just as he did in Nigeria’s last game World Cup qualifier against Algeria. He still has a goal to his name — let’s not take anything away from him. But going by his latest performances in Super Eagles colors, he is certainly a player as a an option, but not a player for the moment.

http://spotkik.com/2017/03/24/7-positives-nigeria-can-draw-from-the-senegal-draw/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2017
Option 5 @icon4s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 9:34pm On Mar 24, 2017
komekn:

First assumption wrong I was actively seeking Sunday Mba and Etebor to come to the Premiership. When both were in Warri Wolves. I mentioned Mba before I am accused of tribalism with regards to Etebo. But the red eye hungry guys around them made us withdraw. Yes I go watch Warri Wolves inside Sun for Warri I don't just sit in Protea hotel.

Let's equate the Bundesliga 2, is it Superior to the Championship or even League one. It's open to debate. However, how many professional league games has Bazee played compared to Onyedinma who is in the same age range although actually younger , plays as a winger or midfield. Voted Man of the match at 18 playing against Charlton in championship for Millwall. Onyedinma has played 85 professional league games and Bazee has played 26. So if I consider Onyedinma a better prospect is that bias or informed rational assessment.

When Onyedinma will now sign for a premiership team for £10 million plus. Then we will start to lobby too cap him when maybe it's too late.

So who have I insulted State facts and not assumed sentimentality or quoting those who have totally misquoted me.

I have mentioned Tega Abraham 3rd highest goalscorers in the championship or am being biased because he is from Delta. Scoring twenty goals in the championship is not Ewah & Dodo. Or we could mention Oviemuno at Liverpool played already a few first team games.Or Tega Onumah at Tottenham played 12 games same number as £30 million Sissoko.

So is this irrational to say they should be courted now and not later. Or I am being biased towards England innit boys as some have said.

I could talk of all the Naija boys in Chelsea but there is not enough space. Some of all these boys from obscure leagues in Europe would probably not be able to get into Chelsea youth set up. So what is the bias.

I find this forum educative, informative and conversant I have learned a lot about NPFL. Indeed one of the reasons I found myself in Warri watching Etebor. And he is not the only one I have watched.

never thought abraham was nigerian. Always thought hes ghananian
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:35pm On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Sir Komekn is Moussa Dembele's Uncle grin To him we don't have "bonafide" youngsters... the only bonafides are the foreigners and Europeans....

Sir Forgiveness just wants us to have every good option gotten for our team...... I understand that.... His angle is just different but he does want the best for our Super Eagles... but him sef most times no dey gbadun home-made and get some big preferences shaa.... grin Oga Forgiveness.... I lie? grin

she forgiveness has his moments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2017
Joebie:
India? I don't understand
The team that the NPFL youth allstars played were from India.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:42pm On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:
Gents.

The team is gradually gelling and even the RB and LB problems we had are gradually being sorted out.

The back up goal keeper (for the short term) is also IMO no longer a problem Akpeyi has 3ce proven he is up to the task.

Guys lets discuss.

Info i got is that for Rohr, his crew and the NFF this was the last straw that broke the Camel's back.

What are our options?
1. Call back Enyeama
3. Promote Akpeyi to first choice and stop inviting Ikeme and promote one of the young goalies ti 3rd choice.
5. Leave Ikeme as first choice. Any day he is fit he keeps goal else Akpeyi keeps goal. Just like it is presently.
6. Any other option.

Knowing that this a decision we need to make before the AFCON qualifiers in june and WC qualifiers in August we need an immediate solution first before thinking of the long term.

option 5 because option 2 is same as 5. If Ikeme is fit and ready, he cannot be second choice to Akpeyi, so why is option 2 an option? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:45pm On Mar 24, 2017
OH OKAY.. how did the game end?

BascoVanVeli:

The team that the NPFL youth allstars played were from India.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
You mean the U17
Yes sir, NPFL U17 allstars.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2017
Daniel did better than Akpeyi at the Olympics. Or at least let me say he was the preferred choice.
so how come is he ahead in the Super Eagles?

We need to invite more goal keepers when we have friendlies like this, and really access them.

We need to leave Enyeama alone

Icon4s:
Gents.

Guys lets discuss.

What are our options?
1. Call back Enyeama
6. Any other option.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:51pm On Mar 24, 2017
Joebie:
OH OKAY.. how did the game end?

The Indian team was a couple matches ago and it ended 11-0. The finals will be played against Athletico Madrid.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:54pm On Mar 24, 2017
komekn:

Sir I believe we all must not always share same views or opinions but in all there is need to respect each other's points.
I like your points as it always educate me long before I joined this thread....
I still repeat conversations on this thread made me join nairaland.
please stick to your views better to be know for something....but in all sir let' us be flexible
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:09pm On Mar 24, 2017
Mickael2:

what is your definition of a captain's game? Yobo used to play a captain game but when we replaced him during the Afcon we got better.
How many goals did we concede when Yobo held sway in the run up to the Afcon gold medal?
At the top of my head I recall we only conceded one goal (a penalty gift from the ref) in the group stage against Zambia.
How exactly did we get better when Yobo was replaced?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
goldfish80:

How many goals did we concede when Yobo held sway in the run up to the Afcon gold medal?
At the top of my head I recall we only conceded one goal (a penalty gift from the ref) in the group stage against Zambia.
How exactly did we get better when Yobo was replaced?
every time I see Yobo, the first thing that comes to my mind us a blue jersey, then a stretched leg, then Pogba and finally, an own goal cheesy

Apart from that memory the only other one i have is of him sitting on the bench during AFCON ....

Yobo needs to return from retirement and play one more game so I have better memories of him grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:33pm On Mar 24, 2017
safarigirl:
every time I see Yobo, the first thing that comes to my mind us a blue jersey, then a stretched leg, then Pogba and finally, an own goal cheesy

Apart from that memory the only other one i have is of him sitting on the bench during AFCON ....

Yobo needs to return from retirement and play one more game so I have better memories of him grin
He was pretty solid in South Africa. Our defence was almost impregnable.

Generally speaking, Yobo did very well for us in his playing days. Lots of people don't remember he used to be a striker for the Flying Eagles of 1999, switched to right back and where he understudied Taribo. He's well respected at Everton.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:52pm On Mar 24, 2017
Nigeria was quite average in the group phases of AFCON 2013. We improved after beating ivory coast. It had nothing to do with Yobo per se.

Yobo was a good servant for Nigeria through his playing days.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:53pm On Mar 24, 2017
Here is the link to how Senegal scored their goal..... it was from an in swinging cross after a corner has been taken sef..... Sow was left all alone at the far post... now that is bad defensive positioning and poor awareness from our defenders and also Akpeyi did fluff but like I did state he was interrupted by his own man...... Have fun... Nacho's goal is also included.... wink

On the whole Akpeyi gets the bulk of the blame coz he had the choice to stay in line while the defender that went for the ball try to deal with it.... all the same shaa.... Akpeyi was quite jittery in that one moment and the defence too lost awareness of the man on the far post... only Musa tried to pick him out but failed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OG9oUIYmo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) ... (16374) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.