Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,679 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:48 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7097) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11860527 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7094) (7095) (7096) (7097) (7098) (7099) (7100) ... (16248) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2019
Icon79:
I agree. But the naija journos tend to take it to another level sha.

And by the way, you guys should slow down with these hype on Aribo. He played well on Tuesday but we need to see a few more solid performances from him before we crown him the second coming of Jay Jay Okocha or Sunday Oliseh. This reminds me the way some folks here hyped up Bryan Idowu after he scored against the Argies … until he got exposed at the World Cup grin

Hype has always been our problem when it comes to football and when hype fails then the blame game begins

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2019
Different scenarios... Idowu scored and was praised.

Aribo is being praised not for his goal but for his role in our midfield plays and team attacking transitions.

Meanwhile... I don’t recall anyone here comparing him to Okocha. You probably got that from Twitter. Lol

Icon79:
I agree. But the naija journos tend to take it to another level sha.

And by the way, you guys should slow down with these hype on Aribo. He played well on Tuesday but we need to see a few more solid performances from him before we crown him the second coming of Jay Jay Okocha or Sunday Oliseh. This reminds me the way some folks here hyped up Bryan Idowu after he scored against the Argies … until he got exposed at the World Cup grin

O pari

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:26pm On Sep 13, 2019
same stats you choose to ignore when it shows that your MCM kayode scored only one goal the whole of last season but he is better than okereke and onuachu grin grin

forgiveness:

Na lie? Stats didn't support your fallacious statement. grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:27pm On Sep 13, 2019
cheesy cheesy
chrisooblog:
same stats you choose to ignore when it shows that your MCM kayode scored only one goal the whole of last season but he is better than okereke and onuachu grin grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:30pm On Sep 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Musa cannot pass? Who talk am? Dude that created even two top chances in that Argentina game last year? Musa's speed is a wicked asset for us. He will beat any fullback all day long once he puts the ball on the run. And he is a decent passer and create chances with his speed, if not he would not bag the number of assists he has bagged.

Anyway... I am saying it is gonna be a tough call because I believe we need to put out our best out there especially in attack. If this means Musa benching then I don't think that would be a problem except that he is captain and Rohr gotta find a way around that.

A Musa starting alongside Osimhen and Kalu/Chuks still makes us very dangerous and we will score goals still. But I believe a Kalu-Osimhen-Chukwueze will make us even much more dangerous. I think it is a win-win having either Musa starting or benching.

That was why I asked the question na.

My own is that Musa can score, he is fast and also one of the hardest workers on the team. He is a big time leader because he does so by example.

Like I said during the break, let us allow these youngs players to grow and not put everything on their head at once. Life is one step at a time

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:30pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
which epistle? i just started fact, onuachu joined belgian champions genk few weeks ago and is yet to play while okereke have 4 goals and an assist so far in the league which is barely 3 weeks old.

these are known facts,you can check on google or transfermrkt as you normally do. oya run go there! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

What is ONUACHU'S form this season? I don't need story. grin

If we go by your logic AWONIYI should be in National team ahead of OKEREKE and ONUACHU because he scored goals in a better league and has moved to a far BETTER LEAGUE. grin

Why is ya RONUACHUDO preferred? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:34pm On Sep 13, 2019
chrisooblog:

As you rightly said, LAST SEASON and it ends there. grin

What have YOUR OKEREKE and ONUACHU achieved more than Olanrewaju in football? grin

I hope you put on your thinking cap and activate your comprehension bility. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:36pm On Sep 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Oga it is not fake. This one is true. Shevy did commend the pace of our attack from another interview and that is what the writer referred to. Not all OGN news is fake as I have since already discovered.

Also they gave the name of the journalist they spoke to. Stop rubbishing some people's works based on one bad work they have had before.

At the bolded, u wrote that owngoalnigeria.com was referring to a message from another interview, but below is the excerpt of the article u posted from owngoalnigeria.com;

..........”It was like watching Brazil play to be honest.
That was the best 45 minutes any team can ever
wish for. They were not just good on the ball but
off it they kept making runs that left the defence
of Ukraine confused.
The front three can trouble any team with the
pace with which they played the first 45 minutes
“,
Roman told Owngoalnigeria.com.

So where did you get Dat from? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2019
i will rather have one legged onuachu in the current super eagles team than kayode. atleast he has a goal to boast for in the few caps in gwg colors and as well had better stats in club football then kayode for the past 3 seasons in a row.
forgiveness:

If we go by your logic AWONIYI should be in National team ahead of OKEREKE and ONUACHU because he scored goals in a better league and has moved to a far BETTER LEAGUE. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:39pm On Sep 13, 2019
and what have kayode achieved in europe since leaving the shores of africa for the past 6-7 years?
forgiveness:

What have YOUR OKEREKE and ONUACHU achieved more than Olanrewaju in football? grin

I hope you put on your thinking cap and activate your comprehensive ability. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:43pm On Sep 13, 2019
ChrisKels:

At the bolded, u wrote that owngoalnigeria.com was referring to a message from another interview, but below is the excerpt of the article u posted from owngoalnigeria.com;

..........”It was like watching Brazil play to be honest.
That was the best 45 minutes any team can ever
wish for. They were not just good on the ball but
off it they kept making runs that left the defence
of Ukraine confused.
The front three can trouble any team with the
pace with which they played the first 45 minutes
“,
Roman told Owngoalnigeria.com.

So where did you get Dat from? grin

In your rush to rubbish the article you obviously missed this part from same article... it is not a quote but an excerpt from the article... found before quotes by Roman the Ukrainian Journo.

"...Roman said the way the Nigerians were confident on the ball and also the running off it left the backline of Ukraine confused and even coach of the team Andriy Shevchenko admitted after the game that his wards couldn’t keep up with the pace of the Nigerians..."

The bolded is where the OGN reporter obviously referred to Shevchenko’s post match interview. Tu comprends? Next time, try to slow down before you crash in... wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:45pm On Sep 13, 2019
You're right that I probably got the Okocha comparisons from twitter, but all naija soccer fans have gone overboard with shrining the bobo. Don't get me wrong, he had a solid game but we still need to see more before we crown him the one we've been waiting for. Some folks have even catapulted him ahead of our tried and tested Etebo, in the pecking order!

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Different scenarios... Idowu scored and was praised.

Aribo is being praised not for his goal but for his role in our midfield plays and team attacking transitions.

Meanwhile... I don’t recall anyone here comparing him to Okocha. You probably got that from Twitter. Lol

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:47pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
i will rather have one legged onuachu in the current super eagles team than kayode. atleast he has a goal to boast for in the few caps in gwg colors and as well had better stats in club football then kayode for the past 3 seasons in a row.

Before nko! Tell me, what is the form of YOUR RONUACHUDO? NO EPISTLE. grin

This season Kayode has scored more goals than YOUR ONUACHU. MINUS this season, 3 seasons ago, Kayode was the best player and highest goalscorer in the Austrian league which is far better than that Denmark and Seria B league. grin

Which three seasons in a row are you talking about? The one in YA DREAM? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:48pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
and what have kayode achieved in europe since leaving the shores of africa for the past 6-7 years?

Only a novice will ask that question. I mean a novice like YOU. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:49pm On Sep 13, 2019
Tell me about it! And they would keep the hype until he has one bad game and then they would turn 180 degrees with the insults. Compare the way we reacted to Odion Ighalo after the World Cup and how we treated him after the AFCON.

And you don't even want me to start with Alex Iwobi, and how we tend to change our tunes about him every couple of months!

O pari

Sportilitica:

Hype has always been our problem when it comes to football and when hype fails then the blame game begins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:54pm On Sep 13, 2019
Etebo is tried and tested. No one and I mean no one should be arguing that. He is battle-tested and one of our finest lieutenants and still has youth on his side.

But again he doesn't transit plays very well. ButAribo does it better. Etebo holds on to the ball more than he releases it. He is no swift Ball carrier and transitional CM but Aribo is. Etebo is a great ball winner and can keep the ball excellently. Aribo is too but Etebo has the better workrate.
Aribo interprets the CM role much better than Etebo and that is what I am standing on. Aribo also offers goals when he does Box to box...
We want the best team for the Super Eagles right? Then let us focus on presenting the best and not minding who and who is tried and tested.

Tried and tested does not always translate to "He can do the job very well." Let us go for the rounder pegs in round holes and best players who can interpret their roles superbly.

Icon79:
You're right that I probably got the Okocha comparisons from twitter, but all naija soccer fans have gone overboard with shrining the bobo. Don't get me wrong, he had a solid game but we still need to see more before we crown him the one we've been waiting for. Some folks have even catapulted him ahead of our tried and tested Etebo, in the pecking order!

O pari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:00pm On Sep 13, 2019
I'm a novice but answer me to clear my doubts cheesy
forgiveness:

Only a novice will ask that question. I mean a novice like YOU. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 5:04pm On Sep 13, 2019
komekn:

I don't think so.

A lot of our wingers may not progress to higher levels of football because thier end product is very poor.

Dribbles without end product is just huffing and puffing. Our wingers struggle to put in a basic cross consistently. Then decision making in the last third is poor add to that selfishness.

There it seems is a lack of professionalism so we need better wingers. Musa is still relevant just like i think Victor Moses is till relevant because nobody that's come in is actually clearly better than them.

I miss Victor Moses.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:07pm On Sep 13, 2019
Again, you might be 100 correct on your assessment of him. I mean, Aribo might turn out to be the missing piece in our midfield; however, what I am saying is that we need to see more games from him (in the green and white) before we can make that call. And I am not insisting that Etebo has to be a starter either so I will be happy if Aribo is an upgrade on Etebo and Ndidi. We just need to wait and see.

Like I said prior to the AFCON, I have noticed that Wilfried Ndidi doesn't seem to perform for the Super Eagles as he does for Leicester City. And I think that that is because he feels that he has become indispensable for the Super Eagles but, watch out, he'd step up once he's no longer guaranteed a starting position in the team.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Etebo is tried and tested. No one and I mean no one should be arguing that. He is battle-tested and one of our finest lieutenants and still has youth on his side.

But again he doesn't transit plays very well. Aribo does it better. Aribo interprets the CM role much better than Etebo and that is what I am standing on.
We want the best team for the Super Eagles right? Then let us focus on presenting the best and not minding who and who is tried and tested.

Tried and tested does not always translate to "He can do the job very well." Let us go for the rounder pegs in round holes and best players who can interpret their roles superbly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:16pm On Sep 13, 2019
Victor Osimhen starts.... Match kicks off in about 43 mins from now...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Prectega(m): 5:17pm On Sep 13, 2019
I prefer eyebrows to ndidi .. Not because etebo is better but because he gives it all .. M yet to see what ndidi is going

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:19pm On Sep 13, 2019
The authoritative German website Transfermarkt.com updated the market value of Club Brugge winger Emmanuel Dennis on Friday, September 13.

The one-cap Nigeria international is now valued at €9.5 million, two million euros more than he was valued in June 2019.

Two factors might have contributed to the increase in his market value; he extended his contract on September 3, before making his international debut a week later against Ukraine.

Emmanuel Dennis has seen his stock rise following his move to Club Brugge in the summer of 2017, with the winger now costing approximately eight times his market value in his last month at Zorya Luhansk.

With the recent increase in his market value, the 21-year-old is currently the 1,044th most valuable player in the world, ranks ninth among all players of the Belgian First Division A and he's the fourth most expensive Club Brugge player.

The former Nigeria U15 international is represented by DW Sports Management who also look after Super Eagles stars Oghenekaro Etebo, Anderson Esiti and Moses Simon among others.

In eight appearances across all competitions this season, Dennis has hit the back of the net twice

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:24pm On Sep 13, 2019
Meliforme:
I miss Victor Moses.

Is it the Moses that can't 'cross'?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:25pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:

The authoritative German website Transfermarkt.com updated the market value of Club Brugge winger Emmanuel Dennis on Friday, September 13.

The one-cap Nigeria international is now valued at €9.5 million, two million euros more than he was valued in June 2019.

Two factors might have contributed to the increase in his market value; he extended his contract on September 3, before making his international debut a week later against Ukraine.

Emmanuel Dennis has seen his stock rise following his move to Club Brugge in the summer of 2017, with the winger now costing approximately eight times his market value in his last month at Zorya Luhansk.

With the recent increase in his market value, the 21-year-old is currently the 1,044th most valuable player in the world, ranks ninth among all players of the Belgian First Division A and he's the fourth most expensive Club Brugge player.

The former Nigeria U15 international is represented by DW Sports Management who also look after Super Eagles stars Oghenekaro Etebo, Anderson Esiti and Moses Simon among others.

In eight appearances across all competitions this season, Dennis has hit the back of the net twice

Is Transfermrkt a German website?

I like that site
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Musa had a handful of 90s and loads of starts even before the 2014 WC in tournaments and in friendlies.

Point is Kalu and Chuks still just have 10 appearances and already are contributing to our team's attack. Give them time. I believe Musa should start from the bench now but then he is captain and that is up to Rohr.

I believe a Kalu-Osimhen-Chukwueze is gonna evolve into a much more super fluid, super dangerous and goals-laden attacking trio compared to the Musa-Osimhen-Kalu or Musa-Osimhen-Chukwueze attacking tridents.

Bottomline is that Musa is very much relevant but the KOC looks like Nigeria's best bet going forward. They are absolutely super dynamic. In the presence of the KOC trio, Musa can still offer us firepower from the bench or from the start depending on whatever tactics we wanna employ per game.

KOC is that not that popular Nigerian actor? What does he have to do with soccer balls?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:55pm On Sep 13, 2019
Taliban:

KOC is that not that popular Nigerian actor? What does he have to do with soccer balls?

Look below...

This is "The KOC" Oh Taliban of Afghanistan...

K - Kalu Samuel

O- Osimhen Victor

C- Chukwueze Samuel

Gerrit??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 13, 2019
Rohr needs to build on KOC. They have the potential to be a very lethal trio on the continent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 6:00pm On Sep 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Lookwho is getting ready to rumble later today for LOSC Lille in Ligue 1 action vs Angers SC

The Menace himself... And your New GWG First Choice Top Striker... Victor James Osimhen.

Wishing him the best... wink

Hype man grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2019
forgiveness:

What is Awoniyi's form this season

Oh you conviniently ignored that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 6:10pm On Sep 13, 2019
forgiveness:

I hope you put on your thinking cap and activate your comprehension bility. grin
hasn't okereke performed better than kayode this season or you are so blind and dense to see it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:22pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:

me don't wanna have both players in the super eagles....
they're of no use.... a fit okereke/awoniyi/maja is even better...
that Paul is tall for nothing

(1) (2) (3) ... (7094) (7095) (7096) (7097) (7098) (7099) (7100) ... (16248) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: EEGA, lelion, Hanibal(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.