Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,100 members, 7,828,846 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7096) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11746976 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7093) (7094) (7095) (7096) (7097) (7098) (7099) ... (16180) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:24pm On Sep 13, 2019
komekn:

It's matter of who you want to put as being more authoritative AFCON or whoscored.

The choice is yours either way it's flawed because consider how many games Aina played and his stats exceeded Omeruo who played if I'm right all the games in the AFCON.

The only Nigerian on the AFCON team of the tournament was Ighalo.

Game by game Omeruo was ranked higher than Aina

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:27pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Musa's days in the super eagles are numbered. The guy was the weakest link at the afcon. His is fast but lacks football brains. If musa was a tricky and classy player the team would have scored tons of goals during the competition.

Him and Simon Moses need to be excused from the team. With the likes chukwueze, kalu, onyekuru, Bonaventure and the possible inclusion of Ademola lookman soon I think we are well covered in the flanks

Hmmm..... softly softly people... una don get chukwueze and Kalu now, u wan throway Musa. Na so e dey work? When Musa scored for Naija at the world cup, una no talk football brains then O! Has anyone ever bothered to ask if playing on the wings is the way to get the best from Musa? I personally get disappointed by his plays sometimes but what I have realized is we need to play our boys in their areas of strength. Enough of makeshifting and trying to fit certain individuals into a game just so as not to ruffle feathers. (Whats that word again.... Ah yes... man management).

There is also the culture of selfish play which has been prevalent in our team. The chukwueze yall drooling over is one flipping selfish player and thats why his end products leave a lot to be desired. That said Musa thrives beta as a striker and not a winger. Yes he is very fast. But also very lethal. If our setup is offensive play, you will get the best out of Musa. But if we are goin to be the same one dimensional team with 4-2-3-1, while expecting crosses from musa. Sorry its not gna happen.

The formation encourages selfishness a lot and thats what will always play out. Everybody wanting to take the shine. Change the philosophy of the team to that of possesssion and you will see what I mean

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 3:31pm On Sep 13, 2019
Earthquake1:

He's investing
How do you invest in a club while still active as a player?
How will he have time to build the team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:31pm On Sep 13, 2019
ChrisKels:
I think we have the best combinations up front now, all what is needed is to make it less selfish, laced with more precision, then, watch the goals rain. However, ceteris paribus, I would rather Musa, than Simon as the first name of the bench, in subsequent matches.
Is Rohr aware of this? This is the question we we need to ask. Remember Rohr respects Musa alot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2019
invitation to the national team is based on form not past exploit. kayode's only meaningful exploit was in the colors of austrian wein and after that you uncle have been woeful. he proceeded to newly promoted girona in laliga few seasons ago and couldn't score a single goal all season long, went to shaktar and still under-performed.

thanks to rohr if not players of his kind would have had over 10 caps in gwg colors. the current eagles set up is on another level now and uncles like kayode and ajagun can only have a sniff of the team in their next world; that is if they dont flop as usual grin
forgiveness:

Only a novice will even compare underachievers like OKEREKE and ONUACHU with Olanrewaju in football. grin

It's Nigeria were brains are taken over by SENTIMENTS rather than OBJECTIVE REASONING BACKED WITH FACTS. grin

You are actually one of them else give us facts how these players are better. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2019
kennysville:

Hmmm..... softly softly people... una don get chukwueze and Kalu now, u wan throway Musa. Na so e dey work? When Musa scored for Naija at the world cup, una no talk football brains then O! Has anyone ever bothered to ask if playing on the wings is the way to get the best from Musa? I personally get disappointed by his plays sometimes but what I have realized is we need to play our boys in their areas of strength. Enough of makeshifting and trying to fit certain individuals into a game just so as not to ruffle feathers. (Whats that word again.... Ah yes... man management).

There is also the culture of selfish play which has been prevalent in our team. The chukwueze yall drooling over is one flipping selfish player and thats why his end products leave a lot to be desired. That said Musa thrives beta as a striker and not a winger. Yes he is very fast. But also very lethal. If our setup is offensive play, you will get the best out of Musa. But if we are goin to be the same one dimensional team with 4-2-3-1, while expecting crosses from musa. Sorry its not gna happen.

The formation encourages selfishness a lot and thats what will always play out. Everybody wanting to take the shine. Change the philosophy of the team to that of possesssion and you will see what I mean
Rightly said
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
invitation to the national team is based on form not past exploit. kayode's only meaningful exploit was in the colors of austrian wein and after that you uncle have been woeful. he proceeded to newly promoted girona in laliga few seasons ago and couldn't score a single goal all season long, went to shaktar and still under-performed.

thanks to rohr if not players of his kind would have had over 10 caps in gwg colors. the current eagles set up is on another level now and uncles like kayode and ajagun can only have a sniff of the team in their next world; that is if they dont flop as usual grin
I do not know much about the so called Ajagun but whenever Kayode gas played gwg, he has put in a decent shift. I don't think wr have an AMF which is really a big issue. One we must not overlook
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:39pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:

What is ONUACHU FORM OF RECENT? What about OKEREKE? grin

Oh! I see, they have scored 20 goals each this season alone. grin

Think before you write. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:42pm On Sep 13, 2019
chrisooblog:
abi o rohr will have sleepless nights drawing tactical plans to subdue two of them

Tactical plans? E get am?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 3:43pm On Sep 13, 2019
Rangers have a CAFCC game tomorrow against AS Pelicans of Gabon. They left Nigeria yesterday

NNL Superfour started today in Enugu. Adamawa United and Jigawa Golden Stars are currently playing.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:45pm On Sep 13, 2019
Komekn your point about Wingers putting in good crosses consistently i think it may also be an issue of the modern game. compared to wingers in the 90s Chris Waddle, Steve Mcmaneman, Beckham(though he's more of the early 2000s), Overmars, Finidi, heck even Garba lawal guys who could cross like no man's business but today in the top 6 of the EPL you can barely find any effective crossers of the ball. dribblers aplenty but crossing? for some reason they all just love to dribble. some are better at it than others e.g hazard, salah while you have others like zaha, willian, Lingard etc the only winger i can say reminded of wingers of old are ribery at his peak and robben. it's like alot of our wingers graduated from the school of pius ikedia aimless dribbles

komekn:

I don't think so.

A lot of our wingers may not progress to higher levels of football because thier end product is very poor.

Dribbles without end product is just huffing and puffing. Our wingers struggle to put in a basic cross consistently. Then decision making in the last third is poor add to that selfishness.

There it seems is a lack of professionalism so we need better wingers. Musa is still relevant just like i think Victor Moses is till relevant because nobody that's come in is actually clearly better than them.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:46pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:

ONUACHU and OKEREKE are on another level? Bhuhahahaha grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 3:47pm On Sep 13, 2019
oloriooko:

He's not the only one that owns it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:48pm On Sep 13, 2019
Musa had a handful of 90s and loads of starts even before the 2014 WC in tournaments and in friendlies.

Point is Kalu and Chuks still just have 10 appearances and already are contributing to our team's attack. Give them time. I believe Musa should start from the bench now but then he is captain and that is up to Rohr.

I believe a Kalu-Osimhen-Chukwueze is gonna evolve into a much more super fluid, super dangerous and goals-laden attacking trio compared to the Musa-Osimhen-Kalu or Musa-Osimhen-Chukwueze attacking tridents.

Bottomline is that Musa is very much relevant but the KOC looks like Nigeria's best bet going forward. They are absolutely super dynamic. In the presence of the KOC trio, Musa can still offer us firepower from the bench or from the start depending on whatever tactics we wanna employ per game.

BascoVanVeli:

Musa wasn't a starter until the 2014 world cup. Kalu and Samu have been starting since they came in the team

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:49pm On Sep 13, 2019
agreed the same musa some people are downgrading is even the super eagles all time leader in assists https://eaglecity..com/2019/09/nigerias-records-and-stats.html?spref=tw

records in that blog seem credible unless someone can disprove it

kennysville:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:50pm On Sep 13, 2019
Sportilitica:

I do not know much about the so called Ajagun but whenever Kayode gas played gwg, he has put in a decent shift. I don't think wr have an AMF which is really a big issue. One we must not overlook

That was the song I started singing from the NigSA loss in Uyo. Folks said na goalkeeping crisis. Why will it not be goalie crisis when we adopt sit deep and wait for a counter approach to games. Tne counter attack sef, we nor dey make it count
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:53pm On Sep 13, 2019
forgiveness:
Somebody wants me to believe OKEREKE and ONUACHU are Ronaldo and Messi incantation abi na wetin dem call am? Bhuhahahaha! angry grin

I know such peeps should not be taken seriously. grin

grin Sotey you begin de create "somebodys" in your imagination grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:54pm On Sep 13, 2019
yes until further notice Kalu is Ahead of Simon in the Super Eagles. if it's paining you so much you can go ahead and table the matter at ECOWAS court

forgiveness:

Yes! Kalu is ahead of Moses, yes! ONLY on THIS THREAD and in YOUR DREAMS. grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:55pm On Sep 13, 2019
onuachu scored over 15 goals last season which earned him a move to a more bigger league and club, okereke as a rookie made name for himself in serie b,moved to one of belgiums best teams and have scored 4 goals with an assist so far.

currently in europe oshimeh and okereke re the best nigerian strikers based on current form.

in world football today okereke and onuachu are more rated than kayode grin qed
forgiveness:

What is ONUACHU FORM OF RECENT? What about OKEREKE? grin

Oh! I see, they have scored 20 goals each this season alone. grin

Think before you write. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:55pm On Sep 13, 2019
oloriooko:

There are people he'd employ to do that job and make returns. Investment Managers, that shouldn't have been hard to think of na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:08pm On Sep 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Musa had a handful of 90s and loads of starts even before the 2014 WC in tournaments and in friendlies.

Point is Kalu and Chuks still just have 10 appearances and already are contributing to our team's attack. Give them time. I believe Musa should start from the bench now but then he is captain and that is up to Rohr.

I believe a Kalu-Osimhen-Chukwueze is gonna evolve into a much more super fluid, super dangerous and goals-laden attacking trio compared to the Musa-Osimhen-Kalu or Musa-Osimhen-Chukwueze attacking tridents.

Bottomline is that Musa is very much relevant but the KOC looks like Nigeria's best bet going forward. They are absolutely super dynamic. In the presence of the KOC trio, Musa can still offer us firepower from the bench or from the start depending on whatever tactics we wanna employ per game.

First off, I was not comparing careers I asked how many assists they have.

if someone says Musa is not a good passer and so he shouldn't start, the person must provide evidence that whoever will take his spot can do so.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:11pm On Sep 13, 2019
chrisooblog:
yes until further notice Kalu is Ahead of Simon in the Super Eagles. if it's paining you so much you can go ahead and table the matter at ECOWAS court

In SUPER EAGLES!? shocked shocked shocked grin grin

What a NOVICE YOU ARE. angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:13pm On Sep 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
onuachu scored over 15 goals last season which earned him a move to a more bigger league and club, okereke as a rookie made name for himself in serie b,moved to one of belgiums best teams and have scored 4 goals with an assist so far.

currently in europe oshimeh and okereke re the best nigerian strikers based on current form.

in world football today okereke and onuachu are more rated than kayode grin qed

WHAT are OKEREKE and ONUACHU recent form? I don't need epistle. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:14pm On Sep 13, 2019
cry cry cry wow i'm so sad because of arugbo ojo forgiveness said i'm a novice

forgiveness:

In SUPER EAGLES!? shocked shocked shocked grin grin

What a NOVICE YOU ARE. angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:17pm On Sep 13, 2019
chrisooblog:
cry cry cry wow i'm so sad because of arugbo ojo forgiveness said i'm a novice

Na lie? Stats didn't support your fallacious statement. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:17pm On Sep 13, 2019
which epistle? i just stated fact, onuachu joined belgian champions genk few weeks ago and is yet to play while okereke have 4 goals and an assist so far in the league which is barely 3 weeks old.

these are known facts,you can check on google or transfermrkt as you normally do. oya run go there! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
forgiveness:

WHAT are OKEREKE and ONUACHU recent form? I don't need epistle. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:17pm On Sep 13, 2019
Bros, when did we start citing OGN as a legitimate news source? Those chaps sit back in their offices in Lagos (or where) and manufacture news/interviews from their behinds.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
It Was Like Watching Brazil Play – Ukrainian Journalist On Super Eagles First Half Display In Draw Against Ukraine

A lot of people who watched the Super Eagles of Nigeria against Ukraine were left surprised the way the Nigerian team took the game to the host team in the opening 45 minutes which ended with Nigeria leading 2-0.

The game ended in a 2-2 draw with Ukraine scoring twice in the second half but according to Ukrainian Journalist Stanislav Roman, the first half performance of the Super Eagles is similar to watching Brazil in full flow.

Roman said the way the Nigerians were confident on the ball and also the running off it left the backline of Ukraine confused and even coach of the team Andriy Shevchenko admitted after the game that his wards couldn’t keep up with the pace of the Nigerians.

He said the trio of Samuel Chukwueze, Samuel Kalu and Victor Osimhen can wreck any team in the world if they play with such neck breaking speed as seen in the first half of the draw against Ukraine two days ago.

”It was like watching Brazil play to be honest. That was the best 45 minutes any team can ever wish for. They were not just good on the ball but off it they kept making runs that left the defence of Ukraine confused.
The front three can trouble any team with the pace with which they played the first 45 minutes “, Roman told Owngoalnigeria.com.

”They probably got tired in the second half but if not for the chances they fail to convert they would have rounded up the game before the first goal scored by Ukraine. Ukraine national team were taught a very good lesson by the Nigerians “.

Source: OGN

***This is an Ukrainian and European bowing to the Powers and unlimited mad potentials of the KOC...***
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2019
Musa cannot pass? Who talk am? Dude that created even two top chances in that Argentina game last year? Musa's speed is a wicked asset for us. He will beat any fullback all day long once he puts the ball on the run. And he is a decent passer and create chances with his speed, if not he would not bag the number of assists he has bagged.

Anyway... I am saying it is gonna be a tough call because I believe we need to put out our best out there especially in attack. If this means Musa benching then I don't think that would be a problem except that he is captain and Rohr gotta find a way around that.

A Musa starting alongside Osimhen and Kalu/Chuks still makes us very dangerous and we will score goals still. But I believe a Kalu-Osimhen-Chukwueze will make us even much more dangerous. I think it is a win-win having either Musa starting or benching.

BascoVanVeli:

First off, I was not comparing careers I asked how many assists they have.

if someone says Musa is not a good passer and so he shouldn't start, the person must provide evidence that whoever will take his spot can do so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:19pm On Sep 13, 2019
Same way ANS and even Complete Sports have manufacturered nonsense in the past. Was it not Complete Sports reporting about Balogun being unhappy with Rohr and left the camp because he didn't start the Ukraine game? Look... all news outlets have their "fake news" times. But it doesn't mean they cannot drop legitimate news from time to time.

Icon79:
Bros, when did we start citing OGN as a legitimate news source? Those chaps sit back in their offices in Lagos (or where) and manufacture news/interviews from their behinds.

O pari

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:19pm On Sep 13, 2019
Thanks for this piece of info, dokita!

UP RANGERS!

O pari

DrLikita12:
Rangers have a CAFCC game tomorrow against AS Pelicans of Gabon. They left Nigeria yesterday

NNL Superfour started today in Enugu. Adamawa United and Jigawa Golden Stars are currently playing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2019
Look who is getting ready to rumble later today for LOSC Lille in Ligue 1 action vs Angers SC

The Menace himself... And your New GWG First Choice Top Striker... Victor James Osimhen.

Wishing him the best... wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:23pm On Sep 13, 2019
I agree. But the naija journos tend to take it to another level sha.

And by the way, you guys should slow down with these hype on Aribo. He played well on Tuesday but we need to see a few more solid performances from him before we crown him the second coming of Jay Jay Okocha or Sunday Oliseh. This reminds me the way some folks here hyped up Bryan Idowu after he scored against the Argies … until he got exposed at the World Cup grin

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
Same way ANS and even Complete Sports have manufacturered nonsense in the past. Was it not Complete Sports reporting about Balogun being unhappy with Rohr and left the camp because he didn't start the Ukraine game? Look... all news outlets have their "fake news" times. But it doesn't mean they cannot drop legitimate news from time to time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7093) (7094) (7095) (7096) (7097) (7098) (7099) ... (16180) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kayburner, TheGoodJoe(m), Cecco90, dijon and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.