Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,210 members, 7,849,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:56 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11860753 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7110) (7111) (7112) (7113) (7114) (7115) (7116) ... (16249) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:01pm On Sep 15, 2019
ChrisKels:

Below is the excerpt from articles I read on top sites like BBC, caughtoffside.com, 90min.com, sport-english.com et al;

Please take note of the bolded -
Fati is eligible to play for three
countries: Guinea-Bissau, as it was his place of
birth, Portugal - as Guinea-Bissau is a former
colony, and Spain, because the youngster has
been living there since he was six."

Oh, I never knew there was an agreement like that between both countries before today. It's a nice one.

We learn everyday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
The Tammy-Osimhen Striking Duo Fantasy

The way Nigerians are just fantasizing this Osimhen-Tammy dream partnership on Twitter na wa ooo... lol

Two top scorers in their leagues... two of the hottest strikers in Europe at the moment... the two best hottest forwards in world football currently... Tammy Abraham (21yrs) and Victor Osimhen (20yrs).

John Ogu made a tweet about it and got everyone talking.

He said.. "Imagine Super Eagles go 4-4-2 with @victorosimhen9 and @tammyabraham upfront"

Someone made a tweet saying...

"Hi Osimhen,

I am Tammy Abraham. Nice to be your strike partner." grin

Another replied..

"@alexiwobi calling....... Hey Tammy Abraham, want some assistance? I just finished assisting osimhen and I'm ready to give more."

Then one savage came from nowhere and dropped this...

"Tammy Abraham’s international career is a lose lose scenario. He ain’t starting over Osimhen and he’s definitely not starting over Kane. He should go and find a Ghanaian grandmother and declare for them."

This is a very good suggestion, our Ghanaian bredas are in desperate need of young blood in that aging team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
Getting ready to Rumble....

#Big17 #Naijaboy #SuperEaglesAMElite #AlexIwobi

Bournemouth vs Everton.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:10pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
The Alien kid will be back. Calm down. He will be back. He just needs to make the right move next. Rodgers won't bench Vardy or drop him for even a second for Nacho. It is sad really.

Anyway... for now he is trying to rebuild Camelot's drainage system on the midlands. grin

Hmmm is he a waste man?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:12pm On Sep 15, 2019
safarigirl:
This is a very good suggestion, our Ghanaian bredas are in desperate need of young blood in that aging team.

Team aint just aging, worst thing is the dearth of young players coming through the ranks. I seriously do wonder what happened to Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:12pm On Sep 15, 2019
Naah... he is still far from it. Guy relax... Nacho is gonna be 23 by next month. Just needs the right career boost move now. Lad still got what it takes. He will be back. For now let the other players keep our attention while Nacho works his way back aiit. I believe he will be back and kicking again.

ChrisKels:

Hmmm is he a waste man?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2019
Maybe Nacho should move to a new club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2019
Or move to the midfield
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:14pm On Sep 15, 2019
junnyjake:

Oh, I never knew there was an agreement like that between both countries before today. It's a nice one.

We learn everyday.

Honestly bro. We learn everyday
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:15pm On Sep 15, 2019
Hahahahahaha.... but whatever happened to Mancity's Yaw Yeboah? He was in Mancity's EDS just like Nacho. I did hear he scored a goal yesterday though. Not quite sure. Will have to search out the team.

Modified...

Guy is on fire for the Ghanaian U-23 shaa and was the reason they qualified for the U-23 Afcon. Has a sweet left foot akin to Nacho's.

He is with Celta Vigo B.

safarigirl:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:22pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Hahahahahaha.... but whatever happened to Mancity's Yaw Yeboah? He was in Mancity's EDS just like Nacho. I did hear he scored a goal yesterday though. Not quite sure. Will have to search out the team.

Modified...

Guy is on fire for the Ghanaian U-23 shaa and was the reason they qualified for the U-23 Afcon. Has a sweet left foot akin to Nacho's.

He is with Celta Vigo B.

Chai how I loved that Yaw boy back then. Boy was a delight to watch. Quite painful he could neither cut it at Lille nor Twente
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:24pm On Sep 15, 2019
Well their cadet and youth teams have not exactly been impressive in the past 6 years or so thus their pool is quite small compared to the 2009 era.

For now I can point to just a few like Emmanuel Hackman, Yaw Yeboah, Emmanuel Boateng, Joseph Paintsil a few others.

ChrisKels:

Team aint just aging, worst thing is the dearth of young players coming through the ranks. I seriously do wonder what happened to Ghana.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:24pm On Sep 15, 2019
Who else is keeping tabs on Chima Okoroji? Dude has been doing so good in the German second tier as a LB, even better than Collins did before his call up

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 12:28pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

It is because of a special agreement between both nations. Thanks to the ex-colonial relationship Portugal and Guinea Bissau share (I.e. GB being a colony of Portugal), any Bissau-Guinean national can take up Portuguese nationality. Guinea Bissau is also a core member of a special group of countries that speak Portuguese as their main language.

Sometimes I envy francophone and Lusophone (Portuguese speaking) African countries. I hear that to get a visa from Senegal to France is as easy as getting a bus to your village grin. Those countries are very migrant friendly with thier ex- colonies, little wonder the French league and national teams are flooded with foreign born players. Britain no dey try for us at all.....

But come to think of it, if Nigeria is given such privilege, won't all 200 million of us just rush to England? grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:34pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Well their cadet and youth teams have not exactly been impressive in the past 6 years or so thus their pool is quite small compared to the 2009 era.

For now I can point to just a few like Emmanuel Hackman, Yaw Yeboah, Emmanuel Boateng, Joseph Paintsil a few others.

I know all their promising prospects upfront, and none of them is as good as Okereke. Infact, judging from their Afcon squad, some of their starters can't even make our bench. Ghana has never had it this bad, since 2004

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:39pm On Sep 15, 2019
Lad is doing okay. Getting those minutes under his belt with decent performances following. But for me, nothing to be wowed about just yet. He should keep going and his time will surely come. Another left footed prospect no doubt for the LB role.

ChrisKels:
Who else is keeping tabs on Chima Okoroji? Dude has been doing so good in the German second tier as a LB, even better than Collins did before his call up

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

The Ghanaian that was bought by Almeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2019
You speak truthfully. Hard to swallow for any Ghanaian but yes it's true at this point in time. But Paintsil of Genk is not bad at all. And I still rate Yaw Yeboah.

Anyway, defensively they have Lumor of Mallorca (loan) and Opoku of Ekong's Udinese. Two guys aged 23 and 21 respectively I think. Like I said... they are not much but few. Anyway... it is what it is now for Ghanaian football.

ChrisKels:

I know all their promising prospects upfront, and none of them is as good as Okereke. Infact, judging from their Afcon squad, some of their starters can't even make our bench. Ghana has never had it this bad, since 2004

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:47pm On Sep 15, 2019
Yeah... that's classified under few others. They still have quality talents but not in abundance like they did post-2009.

Earthquake1:

The Ghanaian that was bought by Almeria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:51pm On Sep 15, 2019
Curtisaxel7:

Sometimes I envy francophone and Lusophone (Portuguese speaking) African countries. I hear that to get a visa from Senegal to France is as easy as getting a bus to your village grin. Those countries are very migrant friendly with thier ex- colonies, little wonder the French league and national teams are flooded with foreign born players. Britain no dey try for us at all.....

But come to think of it, if Nigeria is given such privilege, won't all 200 million of us just rush to England? grin

True. The French speaking and Portuguese speaking nations of Africa enjoy cretain fine privileges compared to we the English-speaking ones... no mind Britain. grin

@bolded... Hahahahahaha.... maybe Safarigirl will answer this one. Hey Safari... come take a look.. me I no wan dwell on this question... lol.. kinda tricky.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:53pm On Sep 15, 2019
Just a reminder of how Pinnick tried luring Tammy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 12:55pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah... that's classified under few others. They still have quality talents but not in abundance like they did post-2009.

What's his name again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:55pm On Sep 15, 2019
Truth is even if Tammy comes in....he won't bench Osimhen.

Victor Osimhen offers more upfront and to any team than just scoring.

So I kinda agree with that tweet by a certain @KingRoy. It is a lose lose scenario for Tammy unless the set-up is a 4-4-2.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidi1: 12:56pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
You have a point. Tomori doing this again and again for Chelsea and then taking it to UCL football will certainly get Southgate's attention soon enough and we may lose him. But shaa I hope it doesn't happen (that is I hope losing him doesn't happen) But as it stands... Joe Gomez, Maguire, Stones and even Keane and Tarkowski are far ahead of him right now but yes he can play quick catch up with more storming performances for Chelsea especially in the UCL.

Om your second point..... hahahahahaha... that is why I also sent Yara Yara to England. He is still there to distract Tomori. Only that he got it wrong yesterday by distracting the wrong lad in Tammy. Na tomori suppose dey do that own goal... sad sad To make it easier for us...

Osimhen-Tammy Partnership... lol... na die brother... na real die but it will not be. But nothing to cry about because we got the K.O.C. wink And have potentially other wicked attacking combos waiting to be unleashed like the Musa-Osimhen-Kalu, the Musa-Osimhen two man attack in a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2, the Lookman-Osimhen-Kalu/Chukwueze, the Onyekuru-Osimhen-Chuks/Kalu.... etc... so just relax. We won't miss Tammy as much but we will surely fantasise about the added depth he would have given us upfront.

I don't think Osimhen and Abraham partnership is possible with the 4-4-2 formation. You include iwobi ( attacking midfielder to make the partnership effective) and the wing players, you are left with one more mid fielder (most likely defensive mid-fielder). Our Central Mid- Field would be practically non-existent. We would only be relying on quick counters for attacks in those games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:57pm On Sep 15, 2019
Arvin Appiah...

Earthquake1:

What's his name again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
You speak truthfully. Hard to swallow for any Ghanaian but yes it's true at this point in time. But Paintsil of Genk is not bad at all. And I still rate Yaw Yeboah.

Anyway, defensively they have Lumor of Mallorca (loan) and Opoku of Ekong's Udinese. Two guys aged 23 and 21 respectively I think. Like I said... they are not much but few. Anyway... it is what it is now for Ghanaian football.

Yea defensively dey have some good players but I wouldn't say they are few, but a few. That said, u should be talking about players like Kasim and Aido not Opoku in the CB. Lumor is just there like our own Collins. Baba Rahman's once blossoming career has already been ravaged by incessant injuries. In the RB, they have a very bigjoke in 28year old Andy Yiadom of Reading, who isn't even as good as Iorfa or Odubajo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 1:03pm On Sep 15, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Arvin Appiah...

Ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:04pm On Sep 15, 2019
In a 4-4-2, there may be no need for an AM except in a diamond. We could play with two central midfielders with one tasked specially with defensive duties. An Aribo-Ndidi CM partnership could work or an Etebo-Aribo could also work.

In a diamond 4-4-2, Iwobi will play as AM and Ndidi or Etebo as DM. No need for a CM as the AM, DM and side wingers (RM,LM) will work in tandem to keep the ball flow in midfield.

In a flat 4-4-2 creativity comes not just through the middle but from the wings. The RM and LM push up in attack and ensure the two strikers upfront see the ball oftentimes. And in a flat 4-4-2 we play predominantly with two CM kinda midfielders with one more defensive minded than the other.

chidi1:

I don't think Osimhen and Abraham partnership is possible with the 4-4-2 formation. You include iwobi ( attacking midfielder to make the partnership effective) and the wing players, you are left with one more mid fielder (most likely defensive mid-fielder). Our Central Mid- Field would be practically non-existent. We would only be relying on quick counters for attacks in those games.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:05pm On Sep 15, 2019
Ejike hasn't been setting the Eredivisie ablaze as envisaged earlier
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 1:05pm On Sep 15, 2019
chidi1:

Add to that Osimhen and Tammy are similar type of players so I don't see how the combination will work
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:06pm On Sep 15, 2019
Alex Iwobi starts... #Big 17

But also... Billing and Solanke start for Bournemouth

Ibe abi na "Hybe" makes the bench.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
I consider Yaw Yeboah as a quality one for them. Same as Paintsil Joseph of Genk.

ChrisKels:

They have no quality talents under 23.This is a team I follow almost as much as I do the Eagles

(1) (2) (3) ... (7110) (7111) (7112) (7113) (7114) (7115) (7116) ... (16249) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, Zellas, KpagoGIN(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.