Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,121 members, 7,828,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (760) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11747433 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (757) (758) (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) ... (16180) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:38pm On Apr 03, 2017
I really can't fathom u guys' fascination for lengthy arguments. U are really having a field day.

Plz I think right now there is the dearth of left full backs in our new look super Eagles. We really need options at that LB. I neither see amuzie nor Madu as an option. I need as much depth as we already have at the RB position. How good is Torunarigha? Is uduokhai committing to us? How good are the ones we have in the NPFL?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:46pm On Apr 03, 2017
You forget Ambrose Vanzekin too..... so much for U-17s not being able to cope at U-20 levels because they are "amateurs"

The Stars of That Siasia U-20 team had the 2003 U-17 Core guys as the main figures.... Mikel, Ogbuke Obasi, and Ambrose Vanzekin... even Isaac Promise.

Taiye Taiwo was not at Finland 2003 though but apart from him who else made the most impact alongside the u-17 boys from two years before 2005?

TheGoodJoe:

There is no mathematics to this. Manu Garba had factors that affected his team. An example was his top players like Iheanacho, Success and I think Ndidi arriving late to camp. Some few days to go. You always neglect factors which is due to our poor preparation and protocols. Also, in the 2005 WYC, despite the change of coaches, we had promotion of players like Mikel, Obasi and Isaac Promise.

It is not just promotion. I do not get the incessant attack. The factors against Amunike was too much against him. It is unfair to try to bring down the massive effort, hard work and sacrifice he put in.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
Ivory Coast lands more dual nationality players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:52pm On Apr 03, 2017
True Thought Dear Chief Icon4s but fact is..... Osimhen defied Logic and experience..... He shone brightly at that U-23 tourney.

Icon4s:

I know. He was even better than Awoniyi.

But the question is do we not have 22 or 23 yrs old professional strikers that we would be fielding a 16yrs old academy player. He had not even moved to Wolfsburg yet.
The U17 WC ended in Nov 2015 and that Senegal U23 tourney was in December.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:54pm On Apr 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

Nice touch, they already have their names on the jerseys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:57pm On Apr 03, 2017
Ivory Coast no dey laugh at all.... see how serious they are. They are similar to us in a way.

But Cameroun and Senegal dey dull ooo.... especially Senegal.... they have fantastic young starlets scattered all over France and Europe..... some of them even made the NxtGen Top 50 but were referred to as French players.... angry

I keep saying this... Nigeria and Senegal have the finest pool of top young talents from Africa... ivory coast is not far behind too shaa... but they (the senegalese) just have to be more proactive like Nigeria and Ivory Coast.

Do you know that Alban Lafont, Rated as Europe's best young/teenage goalie alongside Donnarumma and The Ligue 1's finest Young shot stopper, hails from Burkina Faso?

Just crazy how much talents of world football actually belong to Mother Africa. sad

tbaba1234:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:02pm On Apr 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

Chai what a coup.

Cornet will give Jonathan kodjia a run for his money. Mediocre like lassana traore and of course Wilfried Bony would be groaning. With fofana in the fold, Max gradel would be further pushed down the pecking order. Hmm ivorians are building o. They already have the best back four in Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:18pm On Apr 03, 2017
Serge Aurier and Eric Bailly I agree will make Africa's best XI for now..... but who again for that Ivorian back line beta pass Kalidou Koulibaly of Senegal biko? grin

And at Left back... is their left back better than Ghoulam of Algeria? wink

Again.... I rate the Ivorians but they couldn't even make it out of the first round at the Afcon. Morocco bested them.

So when it comes to African football.... only two of their back four can walk easily into Africa's best back four of this present time.

NB: Max Gradel is a forward/Winger kinda player. Seko fofana is a central midfielder. So how would Fofana kick out Gradel? Fofana has Franck Kessie, Jean Seri, and Serey Die to battle it out with in Ivory Coast's Engine room.... smiley

ChrisKels:

Chai what a coup.

Cornet will give Jonathan kodjia a run for his money. Mediocre like lassana traore and of course Wilfried Bony would be groaning. With fofana in the fold, Max gradel would be further pushed down the pecking order. Hmm ivorians are building o. They already have the best back four in Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
Highly-Rated Manchester City Midfielder Refuses To Rule Out Possibility Of Representing Nigeria

Manchester City wonderkid Tom Dele-Bashiru is set to spark a tug-of-war between England and Nigeria for his services.

Born in the United Kingdom17 years ago, the central midfielder has played for England at U16 but has refused to rule out the possibility of representing the Nigerian national teams in future.

“In 5 years time, I am aiming to be playing at the top level of football. With a few international caps to my name, ” Dele-Bashiru told topflighttalk.co.uk.

“Whether it be for Nigeria or England. I want to have played in the champions league and he known as one of the best midfielders in the world.”

Dele-Bashiru has revealed that he models his game after Manchester United star Paul Pogba and Barcelona captain
Andres Iniesta.

“My biggest attribute is my ability to take players on and drive past players and also my long range shooting and dribbling.

“I think I mix the style of Paul Pogba and Iniesta into one because I am physically strong but I am also quite technical and I enjoy watching Iniesta.”

Dele-Bashiru returned to the Citizens starting line-up on Monday night as they beat Stoke City 9-2 on aggregate to qualify for the final of the FA Youth Cup for the third successive year.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : mancity.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22599

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:26pm On Apr 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Serge Aurier and Eric Bailly I agree will make Africa's best XI for now..... but who again for that Ivorian back line beta pass Kalidou Koulibaly of Senegal biko? grin

And at Left back... is their left back better than Ghoulam of Algeria? wink

Again.... I rate the Ivorians but they couldn't even make it out of the first round at the Afcon. Morocco bested them.

So when it comes to African football.... only two of their back four can walk easily into Africa's best back four of this present time.

Lol who compliments kalidou in the Senegalese defence, mbodji? And ghoulam in Algeria, medjani?

Ivorian back four- Aurier, Baily, Kanon or lamine kone and then their fantastic left back, traore of Basel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
Kalidou benches Kanon..... Ghoulam benches Traore.... #fact.

Now add, Aurier and Baily.... this is africa's best back four currently.

I also added a note on Seko Fofana to my comment. plss check it out.

ChrisKels:

Lol who compliments kalidou in the Senegalese defence, mbodji? And ghoulam in Algeria, medjani?

Ivorian back four- Aurier, Baily, Kanon or lamine kone and then their fantastic left back, traore of Basel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:32pm On Apr 03, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Kalidou benches Kanon..... Ghoulam benches Traore.... #fact.

Now add, Aurier and Baily.... this is africa's best back four currently.

I also added a note on Seko Fofana to my comment. plss check it out.

I no dey talk of Africa first eleven, I dey talk of the respective teams in Africa. They are the best.

Chai na seri die I wan write oo, nobi gradel. D guy na workhorse without brain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:37pm On Apr 03, 2017
You said they have the best back four in Africa..... meaning when putting all African defenders together..... smiley

That was not as specific as you have put it now. Now you say in terms of Respective teams.....

Well.... maybe Ivory Coast is the best as regards respective squads... but Cameroun conquered all at the Afcon and their defence held their own against some of Africa's finest in Mane, Keita Balde Diao, Ramadan Sobhi, Moussa Sow and Salah.

ChrisKels:

I no dey talk of Africa first eleven, I dey talk of the respective teams in Africa. They are the best.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:55pm On Apr 03, 2017
Nigerian-born Joel Asoro (sunderland), Youngest player of Nigerian Descent to debut in the EPL vs Musa Yahaya (fc Porto) in the premier league International (youth) cup...... smiley Can't wait for it.... Iheanacho won it with Man City EDS before his breakthrough with the senior side.... now one of Yahaya and Asoro will win it too... wink
........................................................................................................

Sweden Whizkid Of Nigerian Descent Asoro Happy To Fire Sunderland Into Euro Final

Sweden U21 international of Nigerian descent Joel Asoro has spoken of his happiness after helping Sunderland qualify for the final of the Premier League International Cup.

The striker netted the only goal of the game from close range in the 13th minute as the Black Cats beat Norwich City at Carrow Road on Friday night.

“I’m very happy because it is always good to score goals and especially in games like this where you can reach a final, ” Asoro said to safc.com.

“My goal was the winning goal and that makes me happier – it is a great achievement for a club and all the lads deserve so much credit.

“It means everything to reach the final.”
Sunderland U23s will face Portuguese setup FC Porto in the final of the competition.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : safc.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22597

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:57pm On Apr 03, 2017
ChrisKels:

Chai what a coup.

You call Wilfred Bony a mediocre player not even Lassana deserves that description. You should apologise you have made a big gaff.

How many Nigerian players currently can boast of achieving the heights these two have attained. Please tell me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:11am On Apr 04, 2017
Lolll.... Not that I agree with Sir Chris Labelling Bony and Lacina Traore mediocres..... buuuutttttttt...... wink

......it is his opinion and it is his right to stand by his views just as you also gave yours by labelling Isaac Success a waste-man.... for which you also never apologised and also insisted you were right to do so..... smiley

So let's just call it even..... grin

komekn:

You call Wilfred Bony a mediocre player not even Lassana deserves that description. You should apologise you have made a big gaff.

How many Nigerian players currently can boast of achieving the heights these two have attained. Please tell me

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:13am On Apr 04, 2017
NPFL: Enyimba, Kano Pillars, Six Others Set for Listing on Capital Market

*LMC, NASD, 18 Issuing Houses meet in Lagos today

Another milestone event towards enlisting Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clubs in the securities and exchange market has been scheduled to hold in Lagos today.

At the event scheduled to hold at the Best Western Hotel (formerly Protea Hotel) on Awolowo Road in Ikoyi, eight of the clubs nominated at the last Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the League Management Company (LMC) for the pilot scheme would meet with financial, banking and legal advisors that were shortlisted following a recent Expression of Interest (EOI) call made by the LMC.

The clubs are Enyimba International, Kano Pillars, Rangers International and El-Kanemi Warriors. The others are MFM FC of Lagos, Wikki Tourists, Shooting Stars and Gombe United.

Eighteen leading issuing houses were shortlisted to act as advisors to the clubs following their expression of interest to participate in the process that will see a Nigerian football company listed for trading in the capital market.

Some of the issuing houses include Finmal Financial Services Limited, Cowrie Assets Management Limited, Fundvine Capital & Securities, GTI Capital, Afrinvest Securities, Bestworth Assets & Trust Limited and Capital Assets Limited. Also shortlisted were Investment One Financial Services Limited, Lead Securities & Investment Limited, Futureview Securities, ICMG Securities and WSTC Financial Services. The rest are Capital Bancorp PLC, Greenwich Trust Limited, MBC Securities, Africa Prudential Registrars PLC and United Securities Limited.

The appointment of the advisers is pursuant to the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the LMC and NASD OTC Securities Exchange which has a lead objective of opening the NPFL clubs to the investment from the capital market and also reducing the government total ownership of some of the clubs.

The LMC Chairman, Shehu Dikko, had at various fora remarked that professionalising club management in line with standard business practices can only be achieved when private and corporate investment as well as community ownership is introduced in the ownership structure of the clubs.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/04/npfl-enyimba-kano-pillars-six-others-set-for-listing-on-capital-market/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:32am On Apr 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

There is no mathematics to this. Manu Garba had factors that affected his team. An example was his top players like Iheanacho, Success and I think Ndidi arriving late to camp. Some few days to go. You always neglect factors which is due to our poor preparation and protocols. Also, in the 2005 WYC, despite the change of coaches, we had promotion of players like Mikel, Obasi and Isaac Promise.

It is not just promotion. I do not get the incessant attack. The factors against Amunike was too much against him. It is unfair to try to bring down the massive effort, hard work and sacrifice he put in.

You mentioned Mikel, Promise and Obasi. U did nt mention the whole 2003 U17 squad. That is my point.

The late arrival of Iheanacho, Success and Ndidi had little or nothing on the outcome of the performance of that team.

Go back to Siasia's U20 and find out when Mikel, Obasi and Taiwo joined camp.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:50am On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
You forget Ambrose Vanzekin too..... so much for U-17s not being able to cope at U-20 levels because they are "amateurs"

The Stars of That Siasia U-20 team had the 2003 U-17 Core guys as the main figures.... Mikel, Ogbuke Obasi, and Ambrose Vanzekin... even Isaac Promise.

Taiye Taiwo was not at Finland 2003 though but apart from him who else made the most impact alongside the u-17 boys from two years before 2005?

Like u still dnt get the point. Nobody is saying all the previous U17 cannot cope. A good number end up not meeting up. Go back to that 2003 U17 squad list and look at the 2005 U20 squad list and tell me how many of that 18man list From 2003 U17 made the 2005 U20.

Have u also forgotten that from that 2005 U20 apart from Taye Taiwo we also had players like John Owoeri, David Abuo, Dele Adeleye, Adefemi Olubayo, Sanni Keita, Kenedy Chinwo, Daddy Bazuaye, Yinka Adedeji. Obinna Nsofor was in the team but was later dropped for him to go settle his club issues. The whole of that defense never played at the 2003 U17.

My point is have an open camp with an open mind. Not that u would have already decided on picking ur boys even before the camping.

You see the massive inclusion of players into the Manu's and Siasia's U20 lists above. How can Amuneke include only 1 new player. He cant tell me he did nt see players who were better than the ones he already had in camp.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:37am On Apr 04, 2017
I agree that a good number of the players at U-17 level end up not meeting up.... after all, not all will end up being super stars like the others....

And I am not saying all U-17 players who featured in a particular U-17 WC must make the step up bcoz usually there will always or almost always be much more talented players in certain positions to knock some of the U-17 boys out when the U-20s begin....

But again, it is not impossible to have a bulk of the squad at U-17 level move up and dominate the U-20 squad... A case study here is Mexico's U-20 squad of 2007. They were mostly dominated by same boys who conquered the world in Peru in 2005 at U-17 level. In 2007, they made the quarters and lost by the odd goal to eventual winners, Aguero's Argentina... after a very tight game.

That team fared well at U-20 level.

Siasia's team didn't carry the bulk of the Finland 2003 team but the players from the U-17 2003 class who made the squad were the team's anchormen and Super Talismen. Without them... that team would have gone nowhere in Holland... We are talking of Mikel Obi, Ogbuke Obasi, Ambrose Vanzekin (actually Uamzekin), and Isaac Promise.

But I get your point on Amuneke's team.... to me... well, Amuneke did have his faults as regards being rigid with his team dynamics by not encouraging super competition for "his boys" in the team.... but again, if he had succeeded, people would say that his model is the one to follow....

And your point on open camp with an open mind is well noted. I acknowledge it.

Good Morning Chief Icon4s.... smiley

Icon4s:

Like u still dnt get the point. Nobody is saying all the previous U17 cannot cope. A good number end up not meeting up. Go back to that 2003 U17 squad list and look at the 2005 U20 squad list and tell me how many of that 18man list From 2003 U17 made the 2005 U20.

Have u also forgotten that from that 2005 U20 apart from Taye Taiwo we also had players like John Owoeri, David Abuo, Dele Adeleye, Adefemi Olubayo, Sanni Keita, Kenedy Chinwo, Daddy Bazuaye, Yinka Adedeji. Obinna Nsofor was in the team but was later dropped for him to go settle his club issues. The whole of that defense never played at the 2003 U17.

My point is have an open camp with an open mind. Not that u would have already decided on picking ur boys even before the camping.

You see the massive inclusion of players into the Manu's and Siasia's U20 lists above. How can Amuneke include only 1 new player. He cant tell me he did nt see players who were better than the ones he already had in camp.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:48am On Apr 04, 2017
Icon4s:

You do not know if Amunike had an open mind. As I said, going all out to discredit him. We have used different methods but we are yet to land the U20 title. It has nothing to do with the choice of promoting players. Mikel and co. got to the finals after a penalty success in the Quarter finals against the Dutch side. They could have lost there. Will that make it a bad team?

One thing we do a lot is writing a team off after losing. It is not always the case. The Amunike team were badly treated and the pitch they landed was poor. The rain conditions made it worse. Amunike had no obligation to screen hundreds of players but he did it. That showed he had an open mind. If he did not see what he wanted, he is not to blame.

As I told you before, the player Scholes walked into the starting eleven. If Amunike had a bias, it would not happen. You have run with this ideology for a long time. The factors were bad against the team. They struggled while camping. They did not get allowances. The awful pitch conditions. It was a bad time. If these factors were not there, we can listen to criticisms.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:53am On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I agree that a good number of the players at U-17 level end up not meeting up.... after all, not all will end up being super stars like the others....

And I am not saying all U-17 players who featured in a particular U-17 WC must make the step up bcoz usually there will always or almost always be much more talented players in certain positions to knock some of the U-17 boys out when the U-20s begin....

But again, it is not impossible to have a bulk of the squad at U-17 level move up and dominate the U-20 squad... A case study here is Mexico's U-20 squad of 2007. They were mostly dominated by same boys who conquered the world in Peru in 2005 at U-17 level. In 2007, they made the quarters and lost by the odd goal to eventual winners, Aguero's Argentina... after a very tight game.

That team fared well at U-20 level.

Siasia's team didn't carry the bulk of the Finland 2003 team but the players from the U-17 2003 class who made the squad were the team's anchormen and Super Talismen. Without them... that team would have gone nowhere in Holland... We are talking of Mikel Obi, Ogbuke Obasi, Ambrose Vanzekin (actually Uamzekin), and Isaac Promise.

But I get your point on Amuneke's team.... to me... well, Amuneke did have his faults as regards being rigid with his team dynamics by not encouraging super competition for "his boys" in the team.... but again, if he had succeeded, people would say that his model is the one to follow....

And your point on open camp with an open mind is well noted. I acknowledge it.

Good Morning Chief Icon4s.... smiley

I remember reading that Clemens Westerhoff held a camp of over a hundred invited players (Local and foreign based) after Nigeria won the Tunisia '94 AFCON. After the camp, most of the former Super Eagles players made the final list. Does that mean that Westerhoff did not have an open mind?

I repeat, Amunike would not go through all that trouble if he did not want new players. Remember, he held a National screening process before he picked his team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:51am On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Lolll.... Not that I agree with Sir Chris Labelling Bony and Lacina Traore mediocres..... buuuutttttttt...... wink

......it is his opinion and it is his right to stand by his views just as you also gave yours by labelling Isaac Success a waste-man.... for which you also never apologised and also insisted you were right to do so..... smiley

So let's just call it even..... grin

I qualified my assertion which is not sentimental name calling but objective assessment, by asking to tell us any current Nigerian player who have reached the heights these two have

However, there has been silence.

But now that you have decided to stand in the gap you can tell us in comparison.

Using the standard set by the original post which I quoted. In case you don't respond.

Lassana signed by Monaco for $14 million in 2014 and currently on another loan. Has played 56 competitive league games across Europe and scored 17 goals.

Isaac Success made his first senior league appearance in 2014. Has played 72 league games as a forward player and scored 8 goals.

It seems I may have to backtrack the original post does not clearly describe Wilfred Bony as mediocre but only Lassana. In that case I withdraw my call to apologise as my focus was on Bony.

Nonetheless using the comparison set by ChrisKels which you have implied agreement with.

I actually think that Lassana is far from outstanding but not exactly mediocre and therefore still disagree.

But using the ChrisKels unit of measurement and comparing the statistics of Lassana and Isaac. So if you think Lassana is a mediocre waste man. What does that make Isaac Success in comparison

I Rest My Case

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 9:40am On Apr 04, 2017
Pls is Moses Simon better than Onyekuru.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:59am On Apr 04, 2017
EEGA:
Pls is Moses Simon better than Onyekuru.

Yes. Henry is at the stage Moses was when he first got the Belgium, just running and scoring but now Moses is expected to do more tactically. He is a more complete player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:00am On Apr 04, 2017
Icon4s:

Your last paragraph. Nigeria learnt the bitter way.

Experience is always the best teacher.

Problem is we keep forgetting.

Our two best Flying Eagles teams did nt have the same coaches from U17 to U20. And they were never U17 champions. So no automatic promotions and the U20 coaches scouted for the best available players with the believe that the team at U17 level was nt good enough. And that yielded results.

Go back to our results at U20 two yrs after each time we win U17. Manu U20 boys even with the 2nd round exit were better than the others.

I've read through your opinion about the Amunike U20 crash. I believe you've made some valid points but I think the issue boils down to the structure the political class operate at the FA.

In my opinion, the technical department of the Nff didn't do their job. I've always believed that the technical department of any FA should be the strongest. This department is responsible for charting a course for the development of football at all levels in the country.
It falls within their responsibility to put up policy of recruitment into the various cadet teams. If they had done their job properly, we wouldn't be in this quagmire.
Failure to qualify for both U17 and U20 Caf championships is a disaster to put it mildly.

If the technical department was in tune with international standards they wouldn't have allowed Amunike to recruit only academy players to prosecute the AYC qualifiers. The John obuh team that won the AYC had a fusion of league players like Terry Envo, Ajagun, Uche Nwofor and the likes while the Manu U20 team had the likes of Sokari, Nwobodo, Ifeanyi and so on.
If these successful teams had these players, it begs the question, Why take an exclusive U18 academy boys for AYC qualifiers? What was the method to the madness? This brings me back to the technical department of the FA.

In my opinion, the quality of personel in the technical department should be reviewed. I don't think people like Lawal, Ikpeba, Jay Jay Okocha and likes should be there, with all due respect. I don't know if James Peters is still in that department but if he is still there like I suspect, then his position should be reviewed.
The technical department should be manned by competent technical people. Their job description shouldn't be just to recommend coaches or interview prospective managers.

I will wholeheartedly support the hiring of a foreign manager to head the technical department. I was quite open to the appointment of Tom Saintfield a few years ago as the head of technical Committee. I stand down.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:02am On Apr 04, 2017
komekn:

I qualified my assertion which is not sentimental name calling but objective assessment, by asking to tell us any current Nigerian player who have reached the heights these two have

However, there has been silence.

But now that you have decided to stand in the gap you can tell us in comparison.

Using the standard set by the original post which I quoted. In case you don't respond.

Lassana signed by Monaco for $14 million in 2014 and currently on another loan. Has played 56 competitive league games across Europe and scored 17 goals.

Isaac Success made his first senior league appearance in 2014. Has played 72 league games as a forward player and scored 8 goals.

It seems I may have to backtrack the original post does not clearly describe Wilfred Bony as mediocre but only Lassana. In that case I withdraw my call to apologise as my focus was on Bony.

Nonetheless using the comparison set by ChrisKels which you have implied agreement with.

I actually think that Lassana is far from outstanding but not exactly mediocre and therefore still disagree.

But using the ChrisKels unit of measurement and comparing the statistics of Lassana and Isaac. So if you think Lassana is a mediocre waste man. What does that make Isaac Success in comparison

I Rest My Case

ur answer is Ighalo. Just like Bony was the highest scorer in a calender year so was Jude.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:32am On Apr 04, 2017
goldfish80:

I've read through your opinion about the Amunike U20 crash. I believe you've made some valid points but I think the issue boils down to the structure the political class operate at the FA.

In my opinion, the technical department of the Nff didn't do their job. I've always believed that the technical department of any FA should be the strongest. This department is responsible for charting a course for the development of football at all levels in the country.
It falls within their responsibility to put up policy of recruitment into the various cadet teams. If they had done their job properly, we wouldn't be in this quagmire.
Failure to qualify for both U17 and U20 Caf championships is a disaster to put it mildly.

If the technical department was in tune with international standards they wouldn't have allowed Amunike to recruit only academy players to prosecute the AYC qualifiers. The John obuh team that won the AYC had a fusion of league players like Terry Envo, Ajagun, Uche Nwofor and the likes while the Manu U20 team had the likes of Sokari, Nwobodo, Ifeanyi and so on.
If these successful teams had these players, it begs the question, Why take an exclusive U18 academy boys for AYC qualifiers? What was the method to the madness? This brings me back to the technical department of the FA.

In my opinion, the quality of personel in the technical department should be reviewed. I don't think people like Lawal, Ikpeba, Jay Jay Okocha and likes should be there, with all due respect. I don't know if James Peters is still in that department but if he is still there like I suspect, then his position should be reviewed.
The technical department should be manned by competent technical people. Their job description shouldn't be just to recommend coaches or interview prospective managers.

I will wholeheartedly support the hiring of a foreign manager to head the technical department. I was quite open to the appointment of Tom Saintfield a few years ago as the head of technical Committee. I stand down.

Cc: TheGoodJoe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:34am On Apr 04, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Yes. Henry is at the stage Moses was when he first got the Belgium, just running and scoring but now Moses is expected to do more tactically. He is a more complete player.

I love ur answer.

I know some peeps here who would say other-wise.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:36am On Apr 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I remember reading that Clemens Westerhoff held a camp of over a hundred invited players (Local and foreign based) after Nigeria won the Tunisia '94 AFCON. After the camp, most of the former Super Eagles players made the final list. Does that mean that Westerhoff did not have an open mind?

I repeat, Amunike would not go through all that trouble if he did not want new players. Remember, he held a National screening process before he picked his team.

Ah! what a comparison.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:06am On Apr 04, 2017
Sir Basco is actually right. smiley

Icon4s:

I love ur answer.
I know some peeps here who would say other-wise.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:09am On Apr 04, 2017
1 million likes for this post. smiley

BascoVanVeli:

(1) (2) (3) ... (757) (758) (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) ... (16180) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Napoleon55(m), M7even(m), sureleads, Ppogbae and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.