Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (762) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11750405 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) (764) (765) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:50pm On Apr 04, 2017
Enyeama In Ligue 1 Top 5 African Players Of The Week

By James Agberebi:

Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has been listed in Africa's top five players in the French Ligue 1 on matchday 31 by the authoritative France Football.

Enyeama's inclusion among the top five African players may not be unconnected with his outstanding performance in Lille's 1-0 away win against SC Bastia on Saturday.

The four other players who made the list are Burkina Faso's Prejuce Nakoulma of Nantes, Cote d'Ivoires Jean-Michael Seri who plays for Nice, Mozambique and Rennes' Mexer and Cameroon's Benjamin Moukandjo who plays for Lorient.

Enyeama has played 30 of Lille's 31 Ligue 1 games this season.
Ligue 1 Top Five African Players of the Weekend:

Vincent Enyeama (Lille/Nigeria)
Prejuce Nakoulma (Nantes/Burkina Faso)
Jean-Michael Seri (Nice/Mozambique)
Benjamin Moukandjo (Lorient/Cameroon)
Mexer (Rennes/Mozambique)

www.completesportsnigeria.com/enyeama-ligue-1-top-5-african-players-week/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:53pm On Apr 04, 2017
Conte: Moses Doubtful For Chelsea Vs Man City Clash

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte says Nigerian forward Victor Moses remains a doubt for Wednesday's Premier League clash against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge.

Moses, who has been one of Chelsea's outstanding players this season, missed Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace at the Bridge due to injury.

Speaking ahead of Wednesday's big game, Conte says Moses will have his fitness assessed tomorrow before a decision is made on his availability for the game against the Citizens.

"I don’t know if Victor will be able to play tomorrow," Conte told Chelsea's website on Tuesday.

"We have another day to check the situation in the right way. We have a couple of situations to check and then make the best decision for the starting 11 tomorrow."

Despite suffering a shock defeat to Palace, Chelsea still top the league table on 69 points, seven points clear of Tottenham Hotspur in second place.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/conte-moses-doubtful-chelsea-vs-man-city-clash/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:58pm On Apr 04, 2017
Kalu Uche Nominated For LaLiga 123 Player Of The Week Award

Former Super Eagles forward Kalu Uche has been nominated for the La Liga 123 player of the week award in Spain, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

LaLiga 123 is the Spanish second-tier league, a level below LaLiga.
It is the first time Uche will be getting a nomination for the award.

Uche was the match winner for his relegation battling side Almeria in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Gimnastic Tarragones.

The 34-year-old forward will battle Rayo Vallecano attacker Santi Comesana, Marco Dmitrovic from AD Alcoron and CD Lugo forward Yelko Pink for the award.

The former Espanyol forward has made four appearances for Almeria this term and scored once.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/61238-2/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:01pm On Apr 04, 2017
Cameroon Govt, FECAFOOT Set To Query Broos Over Interest In Ghana Job

Indomitable Lions of Cameroon head coach Hugo Broos has been summoned to meet the country’s sports ministry and football federation (FECAFOOT) today (Tuesday) following reports that he is planning to take over as Ghana's Black Stars coach.

According to ghanasoccernet, this comes just two days after the Belgian was interviewed by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) with the view of taking over as Ghana's coach.

Broos was originally invited by the ministry to reveal the details of the Indomitable Lions’ shambolic preparation for last month’s international break friendly in Belgium which they lost 2-1 to Guinea.

But Broos attending a job interview at the GFA, Cameroon sports ministry and football federation officials have decided to make the Ghana approach central to the meeting.

Reports has it that Broos threatened to quit as Indomitable Lions coach because of months of unpaid salaries and also bad organisation from Cameroon football federation.

Broos was also earlier reported to have been approached by the South African Football Association (SAFA) after the sacking of Shakes Mashaba.

Broos led Indomitable Lions to the 2017 Africa Cup of Nation title success in Gabon, beating Egypt 2-1 in the final.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/cameroon-govt-fecafoot-set-query-broos-interest-ghana-job/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
Whoscored.com on Ndidi

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
Onyekuru

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
FIFA Beach Soccer W/Cup: Mexico’s Top Scorer Eager To Beat Nigeria

Mexico’s national beach soccer team’s leading goalscorer, Ramon Maldonado, says they are already perfecting plans on how to beat Nigeria's Super sand Eagles, Iran and Italy in Group B at this year's FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup in Bahamas.

Mexico will be making their fifth appearance at the Beach Soccer World Cup this year after featuring at the 2007 (runners-up), 2008, 2011 and 2015.

Just like the Super Sand Eagles who lost to Senegal in final of the African qualifiers, Mexico lost to Panama in the final of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Speaking on FIFA.com, Maldonado stated that they will make sure everything learnt during their preparation counts against their group opponents.

“Ever since the draw was made we’ve been working on trying to beat the teams we’re up against," Maldonado told FIFA.com.

"The key will be putting into practice all the things we’ve been working on in training. In this sport the team that makes fewer mistakes is the one that ends up winning, so we need to be focused and make sure we don’t make any errors.

"We need to give as good as we get against the big teams and try to come away with a result.”

Still looking ahead to this year's tournament, Maldonado who says he can't wait for the World Cup to begin, reveals that Mexico's ambition is to be crowned champions.

“I feel great. I feel very happy and I can’t wait for the tournament to start. We’re going to take things step by step. In the short term that means winning each game, in the medium term it’s about getting through the group phase and being in the last eight, and in the long term the dream is – like everyone else – to be world champions,” he states.

This 2017 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup will run from 27 April to 7 May.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/fifa-beach-soccer-wcup-mexicos-top-scorer-eager-beat-nigeria/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:59pm On Apr 04, 2017
Chaiii... just negodu Moukandjo oooo..... chaaaiiiiii.... Well, I am not afraid..... #BringOntheLions

terzurum5:
Enyeama In Ligue 1 Top 5 African Players Of The Week

By James Agberebi:

Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has been listed in Africa's top five players in the French Ligue 1 on matchday 31 by the authoritative France Football.

Enyeama's inclusion among the top five African players may not be unconnected with his outstanding performance in Lille's 1-0 away win against SC Bastia on Saturday.

The four other players who made the list are Burkina Faso's Prejuce Nakoulma of Nantes, Cote d'Ivoires Jean-Michael Seri who plays for Nice, Mozambique and Rennes' Mexer and Cameroon's Benjamin Moukandjo who plays for Lorient.

Enyeama has played 30 of Lille's 31 Ligue 1 games this season.
Ligue 1 Top Five African Players of the Weekend:

Vincent Enyeama (Lille/Nigeria)
Prejuce Nakoulma (Nantes/Burkina Faso)
Jean-Michael Seri (Nice/Mozambique)
Benjamin Moukandjo (Lorient/Cameroon)
Mexer (Rennes/Mozambique)

www.completesportsnigeria.com/enyeama-ligue-1-top-5-african-players-week/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:09pm On Apr 04, 2017
Just sad we won't see him make his debut anytime soon until after the Cameroon WCQ double header most likely.... unless Rohr means to include him in his squad for South Africa before the Lions come calling?

All the same.... 14 goals and about 7 (or is it 8 or 9) assists for A team like KAS Eupen is no small feat. Dude got goals in those boots and audacious ball skills. smiley

tbaba1234:
Onyekuru

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
Barcelona Will Send Ezekiel Bassey Back To Enyimba In The Summer – Spanish Journalist Reveals

Ezekiel Bassey won’t be offered a permanent deal by Spanish La-Liga giants Barcelona according to a Spain based journalist, who is very close to the technical staff of the team.

Bassey was signed on loan by Barcelona. A move which came as a surprise to many people as the 20 year old, although talented was never mentioned to be on the radar of the club until his transfer was announced.

He was supposed to spend time with the B team of Barcelona before making the step up to the main team in the summer, but work permit issues have denied him a chance to showcase his worth to coach Gerard Lopez of the B team.

However, Joseph Capdevila who writes for highly respected Barcelona based publication Sport revealed, Bassey has failed to impress the coaches hence just like Robert Concalves, who was signed last season in similar circumstances and later released by the club, Bassey could be on his way out as well.

”Ezekiel Bassey was signed without any coach of the B team watching him play, he is back in training with the team, much to the surprise of his teammates who have been so unimpressed by his lack of quality”, Concalves said.

”Barcelona has seen too many strange arrivals the past one year. But what seem certain is that Bassey will leave at the end of the season and that, surely, without many ever remembering he was once a player of the B team”.
*Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/04/04/barcelona-will-send-ezekiel-bassey-back-to-enyimba-in-the-summer-spanish-journalist-reveals/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:30pm On Apr 04, 2017
Exclusive – Swedish-Nigerian Defender Kyle Konwea Opt For Nigeria Ahead Of Sweden

The defensive options available to coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has been boosted following Kyle Konwea decision to opt for Nigeria ahead of Sweden.

Comfortable as a central defender, the over six feet tall defender who moved to Swedish side Brommapojkarna in January,has also played as a right back or as a defensive midfielder.

Konwea told Owngoalnigeria.com in an exclusive chat that he is eager to play for the Super Eagles of Nigeria instead of Sweden, due to his love for the land of his father.

Born to a Nigerian father and a Swedish mother, the 28 year old confirmed he has been contacted by Nigeria in the past, but no contact has been made since Rohr took over as coach.

See full interview below.

OGN : Kyle we will be glad to know if you are interested in
playing for Nigeria, and if you think you have what it takes to improve the team.

Kyle : It would really be a blessing to play for the Super Eagles. It has always been a dream for me even though my mum is Swedish and I’m born and raised here. I do know that the competition is hard but i do believe in myself and my qualities, which i would say is strenght and energy, and to represent your country where you have your roots would make you reach the highest of your standard.

OGN: We will also be happy to know if you have had any contact with officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)?

Kyle: No i havent but when I was at BK Häcken in Sweden, I got some calls from representatives from Nigeria and they wanted me to go down there but at that time i didnt take things seriously. Now Im older, more matured and take things more seriously , and if i would get the chance to go down there i would take it without any question.

OGN : What is your favourite position on the pitch and what are your main attributes as a defender.

Kyle: My best position is in central defence, but during the years I have played all over the field but I’m primarily a central defender even though i manage to play other positions as well. I’m a tall guy 195cm, but I’m fast and strong and got a decent foot. So my strength i would say is power and strength.

*Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/04/04/exclusive-swedish-nigerian-defender-kyle-konwea-opt-for-nigeria-ahead-of-sweden/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:34pm On Apr 04, 2017
Exclusive – Ex Flying Eagles Prospect Saidu Close In On Transfer To Shakhtar Donetsk

Five years after former Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa ended his romance with Ukrainian Premier League side Shakhtar Donetsk, the club are set to sign another Nigerian, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Aghahowa was the last known Nigerian player who made waves at the Ukraine outfit, although his first spell from 2000 to 2007 still remain his most prolific time at the club, as he failed to match expectations when he rejoined them for a second spell in 2009.

The club is presently running the rule on Rimi Youth of Kaduna midfielder Saidu Mukhtar, who trained with the Nigeria U-20 team during their ill fated attempt to qualify for the Africa Youth Championship.

Mukhtar has been training with the B team of the club for the last one week and will be offered a professional contract if he impresses the handlers of the team.

A fine distributor of the ball, the 18 year old is widely regarded as one of the finest emerging talents in Kaduna due to his abilities and his stature. He stand at an impressive height of almost six feet tall.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/04/04/exclusive-ex-flying-eagles-prospect-saidu-close-in-on-transfer-to-shakhtar-donetsk/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
Kyle: No i havent but when I was at BK Häcken in Sweden, I got some calls from representatives from Nigeria and they wanted me to go down there but at that time i didnt take things seriously. Now Im older, more matured and take things more seriously , and if i would get the chance to go down there i would take it without any question.

This guy is 28 years old... He was approached when he was younger and refused but now the hope for a Swedish cap has dwindled, he is now saying this... Gerrara here men...

OwngoalNigeria should take time with the promotion of these guys.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
ChrisKels:
I really can't fathom u guys' fascination for lengthy arguments. U are really having a field day.

Plz I think right now there is the dearth of left full backs in our new look super Eagles. We really need options at that LB. I neither see amuzie nor Madu as an option. I need as much depth as we already have at the RB position. How good is Torunarigha? Is uduokhai committing to us? How good are the ones we have in the NPFL?

Chairman, we dnt have issues with our LB IMHO. Echiejile is there.

When Iroha was the LB boss who were the other options? When it was Babayaro who were the other options? When it was Taiwo who were the other options?

Lets not make the mistakes of the more recent past that we were focusing more on 'the other options' rather than focusing on how to maximise the abilities of the main player. Oliseh fielding Onobi ahead of Mikel, all in a bid to create an option for Mikel, comes to mind.

If Echiejile is not in the team for any reason, we have tried Madu and Amuzie in that position before and heaven did not fall. Echiejile is nt too far better than those 2 IMO.

As for Torunarigha and Uduokhai I cant rate them yet for very obvious reasons. Though they may be good additions to the squad if invited.

Our next 3 games for the Super Eagles are very very crucial. Echiejile is first choice. Madu is 2nd. I dnt see Rohr parading any debutant in that LB position for any of those 3 games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:42pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Just sad we won't see him make his debut anytime soon until after the Cameroon WCQ double header most likely.... unless Rohr means to include him in his squad for South Africa before the Lions come calling?

All the same.... 14 goals and about 7 (or is it 8 or 9) assists for A team like KAS Eupen is no small feat. Dude got goals in those boots and audacious ball skills. smiley

No need to be sad bro.

The boy is jst starting and has many yrs ahead.
But let him continue doing what he is doing and even better.

If he sustains the tempo we may even see him in the Eagles squad in our next game.

But also know that changes in the team will only take place gradually.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

His time will come, He should focus on getting better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:45pm On Apr 04, 2017
West Brom-Linked Winger Moses Simon Wins Goal Of The Week In Belgium

Moses Simon has won the Goal of the Week Award for the latest matches contested in the Belgian First Division A.

In a poll conducted by Sporza.be, the Nigeria international shared the award with Lierse midfielder Manuel Benson, after both players took home 35 percent of the votes.

Simon’s first-half volley in Gent’s 2-1 win over Club Brugge on Sunday was the most eye-catching goal in the Belgian top-flight, and he has to thank compatriot Samuel Kalu, who provided the assist in the 25th minute.

As you would expect, the Super Eagle was named to the First Division A Team of the Week.

Eupen striker Henry Onyekuru also made the Team of the Week following another Man of the Match performance against KSV Roeselare.

Moses Simon has been scouted by West Brom ahead of the opening of the summer transfer window, most recently in London when the Super Eagles faced Senegal in an international friendly.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22608

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:50pm On Apr 04, 2017
Looooollll..... me sef shock when I see that part of the interview.... I just had to share... dude is 28 and wants a chance so bad now because his Swedish Dream have failed....

Sorry Kyle... we Neva even give debut to Otigba and Maunel Akanji... na you we go come consider?? Like Tbaba just said.... dude!!! Gerrarahia mehn!!!! grin

tbaba1234:

This guy is 28 years old... He was approached when he was younger and refused but now the hope for a Swedish cap has dwindled, he is now saying this... Gerrara here men...

OwngoalNigeria should take time with the promotion of these guys.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:54pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Looooollll..... me sef shock when I see that part of the interview.... I just had to share... dude is 28 and wants a chance so bad now because his Swedish Dream have failed....

Sorry Kyle... we Neva even give debut to Otigba and Maunel Akanji... na you we go come consider?? Like Tbaba just said.... dude!!! Gerrarahia mehn!!!! grin

The guy get oyinbo skin so Make him contact forgiveness to add him to his wish list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:58pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

The guy even plays in the second tier in Sweden, why won't he rush if invited? I do not even get the rationale for the report.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 9:01pm On Apr 04, 2017
Kyle.. as much as I am tempted to accept you in the team. Mehn 28 years, ya far too old Mehn.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:05pm On Apr 04, 2017
Icon4s:

When Iroha was the LB boss who were the other options? When it was Babayaro who were the other options? When it was Taiwo who were the other options?

Lets not make the mistakes of the more recent past that we were focusing more on 'the other options' rather than focusing on how to maximise the abilities of the main player. Oliseh fielding Onobi ahead of Mikel, all in a bid to create an option for Mikel, comes to mind.

If Echiejile is not in the team for any reason, we have tried Madu and Amuzie in that position before and heaven did not fall. Echiejile is nt too far better than those 2 IMO.

As for Torunarigha and Uduokhai I cant rate them yet for very obvious reasons. Though they may be good additions to the squad if invited.

Our next 3 games for the Super Eagles are very very crucial. Echiejile is first choice. Madu is 2nd. I dnt see Rohr parading any debutant in that LB position for any of those 3 games.

Alright sir, I'm only for quality back ups as much as we have at the RB. Of course elderson is the undisputed first choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
Looooollll.... and if Oga Forgiveness come reject am nko....? grin

Na em be say ... at all at all.... hope no dey for the guy sef.... looollllllll.... grin

Icon4s:

The guy get oyinbo skin so Make him contact forgiveness to add him to his wish list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:11pm On Apr 04, 2017
OwnGoalNigeria for you Sir..... grin

But at least shaa.... good to know dudes like him are out there who turned their back on us first so that people won't cry blue murder when Nigeria looks elsewhere despite these guys' "repentant" attitude and sudden " enthusiasm " to dorn the green and white.... smiley

tbaba1234:

The guy even plays in the second tier in Sweden, why won't he rush if invited? I do not even get the rationale for the report.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
These Belgian sites sef.... angry

Anyway, I managed to get some screenshots of the team of the week for week 1 of the Playoffs in Belgium.... one is attached to the news above on Simon winning best goal of the week in Belgium..(that is from the original site itself... difficult to save from it... looll) and now this one.... below... (I hope it shows.... it is from the site too but specifically from allnigeriasoccer... who got it from there..... kinda.... wink ).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:55pm On Apr 04, 2017
Victor Anichebe made his comeback from injury earlier this evening in Sunderland's 0-2 loss to Ndidi's Leicester.

He came into the fray in the 73rd minute and almost scored as his deflected strike struck the post. #immediateImpact. wink

As usual, Ndidi started but was subbed off in the 82nd minute.

He had a good game. smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:02pm On Apr 04, 2017
Icon4s:

Na oyinbo skin we want? Abi make e Sabi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Victor Anichebe made his comeback from injury earlier this evening in Sunderland's 0-2 loss to Ndidi's Leicester.

He came into the fray in the 73rd minute and almost scored as his deflected strike struck the post. #immediateImpact. wink

As usual, Ndidi started but was subbed off in the 82nd minute.

He had a good game. smiley

Sunderland are going relegation this season, no doubt
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
goldfish80:

I've read through your opinion about the Amunike U20 crash. I believe you've made some valid points but I think the issue boils down to the structure the political class operate at the FA.

In my opinion, the technical department of the Nff didn't do their job. I've always believed that the technical department of any FA should be the strongest. This department is responsible for charting a course for the development of football at all levels in the country.
It falls within their responsibility to put up policy of recruitment into the various cadet teams. If they had done their job properly, we wouldn't be in this quagmire.
Failure to qualify for both U17 and U20 Caf championships is a disaster to put it mildly.

If the technical department was in tune with international standards they wouldn't have allowed Amunike to recruit only academy players to prosecute the AYC qualifiers. The John obuh team that won the AYC had a fusion of league players like Terry Envo, Ajagun, Uche Nwofor and the likes while the Manu U20 team had the likes of Sokari, Nwobodo, Ifeanyi and so on.
If these successful teams had these players, it begs the question, Why take an exclusive U18 academy boys for AYC qualifiers? What was the method to the madness? This brings me back to the technical department of the FA.

In my opinion, the quality of personel in the technical department should be reviewed. I don't think people like Lawal, Ikpeba, Jay Jay Okocha and likes should be there, with all due respect. I don't know if James Peters is still in that department but if he is still there like I suspect, then his position should be reviewed.
The technical department should be manned by competent technical people. Their job description shouldn't be just to recommend coaches or interview prospective managers.

I will wholeheartedly support the hiring of a foreign manager to head the technical department. I was quite open to the appointment of Tom Saintfield a few years ago as the head of technical Committee. I stand down.

The problem with what you wrote here is the part that I found Baffling. That team lost because of poor organization. Not selection. If those boys got a fair ground to exhibit their game and failed, I will accept any criticism leveled at them. However, setting up the team to fail by starving them off their allowances. Leaving them for a long time without Rewards for their U17 triumph and putting them on a poor pitch, is too overwhelming.

Come on. Your an analyst. Be fair. That was too much for that team.

cc: Icon4s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2017
Icon4s:

There is always room at the top. We must continue an aggressive search for better players in every role and not replacements or second fiddle.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Exclusive – Ex Flying Eagles Prospect Saidu Close In On Transfer To Shakhtar Donetsk

Five years after former Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa ended his romance with Ukrainian Premier League side Shakhtar Donetsk, the club are set to sign another Nigerian, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Aghahowa was the last known Nigerian player who made waves at the Ukraine outfit, although his first spell from 2000 to 2007 still remain his most prolific time at the club, as he failed to match expectations when he rejoined them for a second spell in 2009.

The club is presently running the rule on Rimi Youth of Kaduna midfielder Saidu Mukhtar, who trained with the Nigeria U-20 team during their ill fated attempt to qualify for the Africa Youth Championship.

Mukhtar has been training with the B team of the club for the last one week and will be offered a professional contract if he impresses the handlers of the team.

A fine distributor of the ball, the 18 year old is widely regarded as one of the finest emerging talents in Kaduna due to his abilities and his stature. He stand at an impressive height of almost six feet tall.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/04/04/exclusive-ex-flying-eagles-prospect-saidu-close-in-on-transfer-to-shakhtar-donetsk/

Now, this is huge. Shakhtar has one of my favorite scouting department. Their players are electric. Some recent talents are Mikhytarian, Douglas Costa, Taison, Alex Texeira and Luiz Adriano.

If they see something special in this lad, then there is a reason for excitement. Maybe Mikelele is Back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:23pm On Apr 04, 2017
Be like say na manage manage SE you go like make Rohr build oh. Though it may be too early, I'm already thinking Brazil. Not playing Brazil but i'm talking about standard wise. I'm sorry Echiejile is not good enough. We are not looking for a back up, but a better option. This is also applicable to the RB and Central Defense.

That reminds me. Rohr said he has a good feeling, he wants to raise a team than can beat any team in the world.

Icon4s:

(1) (2) (3) ... (759) (760) (761) (762) (763) (764) (765) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.