Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,958 members, 7,828,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8644) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11745674 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8641) (8642) (8643) (8644) (8645) (8646) (8647) ... (16179) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 5:03pm On May 28, 2020
elyte89:

E fit no sabi book grin

Seyi get masters o.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:03pm On May 28, 2020
forgiveness:

Bros, I haven't been following sport news these days. You can brief me on this. Thanks
chai you have missed a lot
thegoodjoe Don go Finland come back
lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:04pm On May 28, 2020
Icon4s:

That matter don dey laid to rest na.
*In TheGoodJoe's voice* it is FINISHED grin
Lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
Icon4s:

Forgiveness you know say I miss you sha grin

There are days I will just sit and remember some of the arguments here and how emotions usually run hot and I will just laugh. grin

Good to see you man.
Trust you are good. smiley

Hahahaha! I am good and thanks for remembering me. grin

Maybe, that will come up again once the league and CAF resume back to action. Hehehe! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 5:05pm On May 28, 2020
The Real OGs are coming back one after the other
Welcome back Forgiveness, TheSupernerd and oga Kog45

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 5:06pm On May 28, 2020
Kog45:
kai elyte89,Seyi Olofinjana is a good friend.He studied chemical engineering and graduated from lautech and msc holder.He is a brilliant guy.

Baba Akogun welcome back, I have actually missed you on this thread. Ever calm, full of knowledge, wisdom and yet so humble and modest. Welcome back again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 5:09pm On May 28, 2020
Joebie:
I forgot to add that I am impressed with Rorh's player selection/call ups.

Modified
Some Nigerian coaches will give us better results with this same crop. But will they make a good selection?

U just said d koko. Questionable call-upq being d bane of Nigerian coaches. Except for amodu and eguavoen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 5:11pm On May 28, 2020
maidaboi:
welcome back sir remain Micheal,Forgiveness and goldfish

Goldfish e don tey. He might have changed his moniker though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:13pm On May 28, 2020
maidaboi:
chai you have missed a lot
thegoodjoe Don go Finland come back
lol

Bros, I was very busy during the lockdown ooooo though I was active in the foreign section before then. Na just recently I begin get free small.

How thegoodjie take go Finland for dis lockdown? He follow mammy water reach? grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:13pm On May 28, 2020
justiz5 who remember this guy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:14pm On May 28, 2020
well said!
AndSunGorilla:

Baba Akogun welcome back, I have actually missed you on this thread. Ever calm, full of knowledge, wisdom and yet so humble and modest. Welcome back again.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 5:18pm On May 28, 2020
Kog45:
Yes you are right.Hope to see him turning out good as a coach.
While academic brilliance doesn't mean seyi olofinjana will be a good coach. However how he was able to combine chemical engineering at lautech and playing for crown fc then still surprises me. That tells me he must be super disciplined, knows how to prioritize, extremely brilliant, intelligent and very strategic. Also he went further and still combined professional football in Europe with obtainine a masters at the same time!!! That guy's brain must be on overdrive honestly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 5:19pm On May 28, 2020
maidaboi:
justiz5 who remember this guy
e get one russian abi Ukrainian guy wey dey famz safarigirl that year with him comedic and vulgar comments post 2018 world cup..
Who know where the guy dey now..lol

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:22pm On May 28, 2020
chrisooblog:
Hello everyone its no news that the super eagles are in a quasi-rebuilding process (again) necessitated by nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2017 AFCON. In my humble opinion our inability to qualify was down to a combination of administrative failings, poor coaching decisions and strange player selections. It is my honest belief that we have a pool of players good enough to turn Nigeria back into a major football force in Africa and world at large. While the NFF goes hard at getting a great coach for the team allow me to present a list of players we should use to execute our qualifiers from now going forward. So hang on folks this is a long one J

GOALKEEPER: this is a position we have thankfully not been found wanting. From the old stalwarts like okalla, best ogedengbe, rufai, ike shorunmu to the great Vincent enyeanma Nigeria has always had good if not great goalkeepers and these current ones I will list below are no exception.
CARL IKEME – when enyeama retired unceremoniously many feared that a huge vacuum had been created in the goalkeeping position which would be hard to fill immediately but the big man from Wolverhampton has put paid to such fears. Initially I didn’t know what to expect from him but his sharp reflexes, strong command in the air and excellent shot stopping abilities completely won me over. I always negodu at keshi when he made us put up with agbim when we had quality like ikeme. Carl is at a good age for a goalkeeper and I see him (God willing if we qualify) manning the post in Russia 2018.
DANIEL – dream team number one and enugu rangers safe hands very much in the mould of enyeama acrobatic shot stopper, penalty saving king an amazing talent no doubt. Hopefully see more of him in the rio Olympics. Will surely push ikeme for that number one shirt.
ALAMPASU – an integral part of the exciting under 17 team that won the world cup in UAE 2013 alampasu is slowly making a name for himself. He also has good reflexes and has started his career on a decent footing in Portugal. He’s down in the pecking order but he has the ability to be our future number one.
AKPEYI – another good keeper has a lot to do to start ahead of the above mentioned goalkeepers. Decent backup to have on the bench.
EZENWA – part of the unsuccessful 2016 CHAN team but make no mistakes he’s a very capable goaltender.

DEFENDERS: sadly this is the position we are currently having trouble finding quality players for but the ones I have below are talented and decent. A good coach should be able to harness these guys into an effective defensive unit.

(RIGHT BACKS)
SINCERE SETH – best defender of Siasia’s Olympic ‘’boys’’. Above average defending but can improve in his over lapping. Still young though with potential to get better. Hope he flourishes at the big stage of rio.
MUSA MOHAMMED – another member of the acclaimed under17 winning team in UAE. Full of running, good set piece delivery, supports the attack well but can do better in defending. Has age on his side will surely improve with more game time especially at club level.
MOSES ODUBANJO – break out season for the young man. Helped his club hull city gain promotion to the premiership. He would probably be our best right back thankfully he wants to represent Nigeria NFF do the needful.
OTIGBA – like odubanjo wants to play for Nigeria. Must have some ability to be able to play consistently for his club in a tough dutch league.
PLEASE NO MORE OF THIS MAKE SHIFT RIGHT BACK NONSENSE

(LEFT BACK)
STANLEY AMUZIE – talented decent going forward but I find him suspect defensively as I have argued in the past with goodjoe and supernerd. He will improve.
ELDERSON ECHEIEJILE – our most experienced left back. Not the most comfortable going forward but ok defense wise. Decent cover stopgap at worst.
OSHANIWA – greatly improved from his cameo performance in 2013 AFCON. As seen in his performances at the world cup in brazil where I reckon he was our best defender. Criminally been left out of the team when he should be pressing for a first team shirt.
KINGSLEY MADU – another who has been inexplicably left out of the team. Comfortable joining the attack assured in his defending I think he is our best left and should be starting.

(CENTRE BACKS)
EFE AMBROSE – enough has been said\written about his defending or lack thereof. He’s on my list strictly as a VERY VERY short stopgap.
OBOABONA – declined in recent years will probably be phased out although with a good defensive partner could be good cover in case of injury.
TROOST-EKONG – young defender still improving his game one for the immediate future.
AWAZIEM – untested at national team level but wouldn’t have played first team for porto if he wasn’t good.
LEON BALOGUN – big tall strong uncompromising defender. A bit slow and clumsy causing him to make avoidable mistakes but solid once settled.
OMERUE – for me our best defender lost some form of recent but still quality trusting he will soon bounce back to his best.

MIDFIELDERS: Nigeria has always had a tradition of producing good to excellent midfielders but in the past decade especially after okocha’s retirement we have struggled to unearth enough quality players in that position. Recent graduates from the cadet teams give me hope that we have turned the corner in that regard.

MIKEL – arguably the golden boy of the super eagles. As a player he has had to bear the burden of carrying the team’s midfield for years with mixed results. Going forward in his new role as captain he can hopefully help groom this new exciting generation of midfielders.
ONAZI – tough tackler, battler and tireless runner onazi brings an aggression and fearsomeness that had been lacking in our midfield play for years. His form has been hit and miss as of late though and will need to work extra hard to retain his place.
NDIDI – could this be the long awaited heir to Sunday oliseh? His recent form for club and country seem to suggest so. Can also play in defence so could be a useful utility player. Not far from first team.
RAHEEM LAWAL – been unlucky with call ups these past few years but there’s no doubting his ability. Can play as a central or defensive midfielder. Will bring needed competition to the national team.
AZUBUIKE OKECHUKWU – one of siasia’s boys. Like Raheem also comfortable in central or defensive midfield roles. Technically gifted he’s also a good option to have for competition.
USMAN MOHAMMED – another of siasia’s stalwarts good technically highly skilful shone like a million stars in the poor CHAN team.
JOHN OGU – another good player. Big, strong but comfortable with the ball at his feet. Good option.
ALEX IWOBI – new boy wonder. Fast, direct and a good dribbler his excellent passing range and ability to unlock stubborn defences with his through passes are a joy to watch. Finally after okocha we have another creative outlet.
ETEBO – not as skilful or technical as other midfielders on this list but his goal threat is a good asset. Tireless aggressive runner also good at set pieces.
MICHAEL BABATUNDE – won’t lie wasn’t a fan of his but his performance at the last world cup in brazil won me over. Also skilful will provide useful competition for the attacking midfield role.

…and some honourable mentions IFEANYI MATTHEW, NWOBODO, K. NWAKALI, M. YAHAYA, S. POPOOLA

ATTACKERS: from the greats like YEKINI, ODEGBAMI, AMOKACHI, FINIDI to decent players like I. UCHE, AGHAHOWA, EMENIKE etc Nigeria has always produced wonderful strikers and this new generation is no exception.

MOSES SIMON – full fledged winger not afraid to take on opposition defences. Decent crosser also has an eye for goal. Needs to work on his decision making though. Once he gets that right he would be simply unplayable.
VICTOR MOSES – arguably our best and most skilful player. When he’s on form Nigeria ticks. Has all the ingredients to be a world class player but his laidback nature and lack of ambition is hindering him seriously.
AHMED MUSA – frankly speaking as a winger he’s terrible his crossing abysmal (maybe because he’s a true muslim cheesy) but jokes apart his finishing for club and country is up there with the best. Maybe the national team coaches are missing a trick.
K. IHEANACHO – shining star of the victorious under 17 team in UAE. Clinical finisher and excellent passer this has been a breakthrough season for iheanacho with club and country. Potential to be Nigeria’s next world class performer.
I. SUCCESS – fast, strong and burly another in a long line of bullish strikers like amokachi we have produced. Inextricably hasn’t been called up. Deserves his chance.
IDEYE – not the greatest finisher but his work rate and excellent link up play with his strike partners are a definite asset.
IGHALO – typical 18 yard box operator and goal poacher. Had a good season but his loss of form towards the end was worrying. Hope it’s just a blip.
CHIKATARA – top scorer in our CHAN team. Has good pace and movement excellent finisher.

Honourable mentions OSIMHEN, AWONIYI and SADIQ UMAR.

This list is by no means exhaustive as any unknown exceptional player can break into the team but barring any unforeseen circumstance most of these players on my list should be the ones we use going forward. I’m fairly confident that with this pool of players any good coach the NFF appoints would make the super eagles a dominant football force for years to come.

Comments, analysis and critiques are highly welcome.

Cc icon4, goodjoe, tbaba, supernerd, safarigirl and any other sport analyst I forgot to mention

throwback post

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 5:22pm On May 28, 2020
This is a good point. But note that some of the bad selections our local coaches have made in the past(probably still on) have been in cahoot with NFF officials. In fact, it could have been a pre-requisite for keeping your job, after all, you are a local coach. We can ruin you. They may have done this with foreign coaches as well. These coaches cannot talk about these if they had been required to sign a non-disclosure prior to getting the job. The NFF usually chooses a local coach temporarily after they have messed up, to save face. Do they even have programs to bolster the know-how of individuals aspiring to become coaches, especially those that have attained some success at the youth level? At this point given the derelict state of our institutions, going elsewhere to get that rigorous, more technical training is just fine. I am sure if they want this for our locals through partnerships with successful footballing associations and probably clubs, they could get it done. No plan, nothing. We could continue depending on the expertise of foreign coaches(the better ones of course) for a while, as we try to get those showing promise some world-class training. It's quite painful. I sometimes want to avoid deriding our local coaches. For all their faults, it's hard not to think, they may just not be armed enough to do better, courtesy of the system that produces them. A chameleon begets a chameleon.
Joebie:

Modified
Some Nigerian coaches will give us better results with this same crop. But will they make a good selection?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:26pm On May 28, 2020
And our Elder threadman returns

trust you and the family are doing great sir

Kog45:
My Chief Chief
Man dey o.
How una side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:27pm On May 28, 2020
Mickael2:

I am trying to answer you but it looks more annoying. So the turkish league is crap? Fernabache, Gallatasary and the likes are hopeless teams? Which teams are in the eredivise? Ajax? European punching bags? Psv? Because of one good season where they actually lost in the Round of 16? Nawa o. Which other club exists there? You are forgetting also that Omeruo played for Ado Den Haag once and he was their best player for that season. So he has been there and he has done it well. Atleast you agreed that Ekong is now on par with Leon and Otigba or isn't that what you mean?

Alba has played as a winger before, play him there now and you will see how hopeless he will be. Mikel was our Amf once, play him there now and see the rubbish. Bale was once a leftback, play him there now. Drogba was once a defender,play him there now. Yaya toure was once a striker, play him there now. Your point is baseless. I have never seen him playing as an AMF myself but okay, maybe he played there when he was in secondary school, i don't know. But this season and last season, he DID NOT play as an Amf for Lazio, except if you know better than whoscored.com. His past position does not matter now, we are talking about the present.

What's the name of Madu's team since you have seen him playing before? Echejile played 18 league matches, 6 were substitute appearances, he was subbed out in 4 others, so much for being so good. 18 matches out of 38, that's 20 matches on the bench. He is a bench warmer, a serious CHAIRman. Constant football improves sharpness and Madu and Oshaniwa both have that right now and that's all that matters.

Onazi is better than John Ogu as a Cmf? That's dead wrong Sir. Even Lukman haruna plays better than Onazi in that CMF role not DMF.

Ighalo has played with Victor Moses and Iwobi( who are our two best AMFs as at now) and he didn't perform well with either of them. So should we reshuffle our entire team just to suit one player? Or replace a single player so as to suit the team? He can't play with iwobi and Moses then he has to shift for now.

I don't have anything against Otigba, he is average or above that slightly but not good enough to displace omeruo or ekong. Do you know the funny part? Otigba and Leon both play thesame foot, so how will they now play together? Omeruo is a sure bet cause he can play with his left, so he is certain. And we can't have 3 right footed CBs and just one left footed CB, so Awaziem comes in for Otigba.

You sef fit score goals for Austria? How many goals you don score for Nigerian league? The highest goals return in our belle face football league prior to two seasons ago was 15. He scored 14 or 15 goals in his first season in Austria. Abeg say the truth na. Even Ideye didn't score so much in the Greek league. Austria is going to the Euros mainly with their local league players. Greek local league players didn't make it to the Euro. Check it na
another throwback post
forgive me it's throwback Thursday

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:28pm On May 28, 2020
Yes, they are a product of the system/environment. It is indeed a Nigerian problem.

benji93:
This is a good point. But note that some of the bad selections our local coaches have made in the past(probably still on) have been in cahoot with NFF officials. In fact, it could have been a pre-requisite for keeping your job, after all, you are a local coach. We can ruin you. They may have done this with foreign coaches as well. These coaches cannot talk about these if they had been required to sign a non-disclosure prior to getting the job. The NFF usually chooses a local coach temporarily after they have messed up, to save face. Do they even have programs to bolster the know-how of individuals aspiring to become coaches, especially those that have attained some success at the youth level? At this point given the derelict state of our institutions, going elsewhere to get that rigorous, more technical training is just fine. I am sure if they want this for our locals through partnerships with successful footballing associations and probably clubs, they could get this done. No plan, nothing. We could continue depending on the expertise of foreign coaches(the better ones of course) for a while, as we try to get those showing promise some world-class training. It's quite painful. I sometimes want ot avoid deriding our local coaches. For all their faults, it's hard not to think, they may just not be armed enough to do better, courtesy of the system that produces them. A chameleon begets a chameleon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:30pm On May 28, 2020
Oga Congo lolzzz

bros go don chop ban taya

seankafor:
e get one russian abi Ukrainian guy wey dey famz safarigirl that year with him comedic and vulgar comments post 2018 world cup..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 5:31pm On May 28, 2020
Joebie:

Modified
cc: Curtisaxel7
Which better result? Which Nigerian coach do you know who has given us a "better result"? Have you suddenly forgotten the era of "no minnows in football"? You give Nigerians coaches more credits than is deserved and you term an opposing view "ass-licking whites".

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:33pm On May 28, 2020
forgiveness:

Bros, I was very busy during the lockdown ooooo though I was active in the foreign section before then. Na just recently I begin get free small.

How thegoodjie take go Finland for dis lockdown? He follow mammy water reach? grin
lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:33pm On May 28, 2020
AndSunGorilla:

Goldfish e don tey. He might have changed his moniker though.
yea
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mkrest(m): 5:34pm On May 28, 2020
Good day house, I just read from owngoal that there is no quota system concerning the NPLF players, I was wondering if it's a good or bad move
Will like the house's opinion on this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:34pm On May 28, 2020
do4luv14:

Oga Congo lolzzz

bros go don chop ban taya

Congo4ka.

grin Mad man

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:35pm On May 28, 2020
seankafor:
grin
seankafor:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:38pm On May 28, 2020
mkrest:
Good day house, I just read from owngoal that there is no quota system concerning the NPLF players, I was wondering if it's a good or bad move
Will like the house's opinion on this
the best bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Boxers02: 5:40pm On May 28, 2020
Check my signature for details on how to reach me

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:41pm On May 28, 2020
Kai.... The guy too brash, and he no wan gree for Safarigirl sef,
las las nah ban shift am go corner

Danielnino00:

Congo4ka.
grin Mad man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 5:42pm On May 28, 2020
andrewbaba44:

How many ready made club e go start ?

Mancity e go no start

Liverpool e no go start

Barca e no go start

Juventus e no go start

Madrid e no go start

So please tell me an example of a ready made club ?
you really didn't get my point. I'm not saying Victor is too big for arsenal. What I'm implying is that Arsenal are rebuilding. Many players will be sold/released and some will be bought. This , I think can't give victor the atmosphere to properly settle in. You sef see how dem dey drag Pepe na .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mkrest(m): 5:44pm On May 28, 2020
[quote author=maidaboi post=90058354]the best bro[/quote

Your siggy already answered for you
Ejuke is my boy too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:45pm On May 28, 2020
To teach me boxing?

Las las ah go send Iron mike to permanet retirement

Boxers02:
Check my signature for details on how to reach me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:47pm On May 28, 2020
But Pepe is understandebale, considering the sum spend on him

mostob:
you really didn't get my point. I'm not saying Victor is too big for arsenal. What I'm implying is that Arsenal are rebuilding. Many players will be sold/released and some will be bought. This , I think can't give victor the atmosphere to properly settle in. You sef see how dem dey drag Pepe na .

(1) (2) (3) ... (8641) (8642) (8643) (8644) (8645) (8646) (8647) ... (16179) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Princezibk, villagereporter(m), Suzzytee05(f), zicky(m), codemaniacs, superbloke(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.