Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,235 members, 7,839,245 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9286) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11802388 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9283) (9284) (9285) (9286) (9287) (9288) (9289) ... (16209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jimmyiovine: 10:01pm On Aug 18, 2020
Omo. I don’t even know for Lookman again. Na to find another club remain

komekn:
When will Ademola Lookman play now, there is nothing in this game left PSG have won it.

He should be given a few minutes of consolation.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:02pm On Aug 18, 2020
komekn:

Dr 2Know it is considered wisdom to look before you leap, think before you speak.

Can you tell me what season was Arjen Robbens last season in the Bundesliga please.

Take your own advice oga...

Robben left Bayern in the 2018/2019 season..
The 2019/2020 season which is "last season" has already ended..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:04pm On Aug 18, 2020
Olulong:

Nobody ever compared both players. They were analysing the style of play chuks and Henry but as usual he obviously cannot comprehend simple English.

Instead of him to focus on how his Borough boys like lookman, Onyedima, seyi ojo are hitting the bottom. He's here hating on home grown players for no reason

Actually,he can comprehend English well..

It's just that his blood level rises when certain homegrown players are being praised here..

The other day, somebody posted a story about Sevilla being interested I Awaziem,he didn't say anything..then another story linking Awaziem to Turkey surfaced and he was all over the place with glee..

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 10:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:
Experience is also very important in football. We should mix our team with experience and talent.

Nigerians and experience experience..the thing vex me many many years ago.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 10:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
I have noticed a certain trend with Nigerian football. Lately , it seems we have been churning more DM/CM than attacking midfielders and I wonder what is the cause. As it stands , I cant name one outstanding attacking midfielder of note that can readily play for Nigeria today. Why the dearth of attacking midfielder in our football system ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
Edopesin:

Experience players like?

Ekong, Musa and Omeruo are experienced enough

I know but I perceive we are always quick to discard old players even if they are doing well.

See am Tiago take man the defence.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:06pm On Aug 18, 2020
Olulong:

Nobody ever compared both players. They were analysing the style of play chuks and Henry but as usual he obviously cannot comprehend simple English.

Instead of him to focus on how his Borough boys like lookman, Onyedima, seyi ojo are hitting the bottom. He's here hating on home grown players for no reason

Your prejudice and dislike have no restraint.

Below an excerpt from the post that prompted my response "Mane creates and scores, so do Robben and Chukwueze, they have no striking similarities to strikers."

If that is not a comparison what on earth is.

The pertinent value theme being "and scores". Chukwueze has scored 3 goals in 37 games this season and there is no basis for comparison with these world class players.

What on earth has Fred Onyedinma, Seyi Ojo and Ademola Lookman have to with this particular discussion

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 10:08pm On Aug 18, 2020
I want to ask this question out of curiousity and ignorance.

How many English player of Nigerian decent has ever made it outside England ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:12pm On Aug 18, 2020
rabzy:

Nigerians and experience experience..the thing vex me many many years ago.

Why? If an experienced player is still very active in a top club or league, I think will prefer such player.

For example, I will choose Balogun over Adeboroye. I will prefer Iheancho over Desser. I will choose Ighalo over any striker and I will choose Victor Moses over any winger we have now. Why? These guys don get experience and they are still active.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:13pm On Aug 18, 2020
Hanibal:

Well, better sit back in fear keep it tight and give yourself the chance of snatching a 1-0 victory than stupidly attack a better team and get knocked out of 3-0
So much for attacking the bigger club!
Dem don chop 3 sero now their eye don clear.

Help me tell am o!

Some one who doesn't believes that being defensive is a tactic, and that it takes a great tactical mind to actually execute it from scratch to finish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:

I know but I perceive we are always quick to discard old players even if they are doing well.

See am Tiago take man the defence.

How many old players do we currently have that are in form and can add something better to our current team??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:20pm On Aug 18, 2020
Danielnino00:

How many old players do we currently have that are in form and can add something better to our current team??

Victor Moses, Ighalo, Iheancho, Balogun etc.

Though Iheancho is not old.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:22pm On Aug 18, 2020
Hanibal:

Well, better sit back in fear keep it tight and give yourself the chance of snatching a 1-0 victory than stupidly attack a better team and get knocked out of 3-0
So much for attacking the bigger club!
Dem don chop 3 sero now their eye don clear.

Not the way you see it. If not lots of defensive sides would have been in the quarter-finals till now. Most of the teams doing well are teams that play possessive attacking way. What we have now is a competition of the best at it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:22pm On Aug 18, 2020
IDENNAA:
I have noticed a certain trend with Nigerian football. Lately , it seems we have been churning more DM/CM than attacking midfielders and I wonder what is the cause. As it stands , I cant name one outstanding attacking midfielder of note that can readily play for Nigeria today. Why the dearth of attacking midfielder in our football system ?

I think you got it the other way, we have more attacking players but lack depth in midfield

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23pm On Aug 18, 2020
realpoacher:

Help me tell am o!

Some one who doesn't believes that being defensive is a tactic, and that it takes a great tactical mind to actually execute it from scratch to finish

Tell me tactical motifs in a park bus system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:23pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:

Iheanacho is still part of the team... Balogun too.. the only reason they lost their starting shirts in the national team was due to lack of game time at their clubs..

Ighalo and Moses have capable substitutes in Osimhen, Simon, Chukwueze and Onyekuru...

Who else ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:23pm On Aug 18, 2020
O boy,if PSG should win UCL eh...e go pain Buffon no be small. I feel for the guy sha...He should just retire. I'm sorry for derailing o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mrflex999: 10:25pm On Aug 18, 2020
mostob:
O boy,if PSG should win UCL eh...e go pain Buffon no be small.
I feel for the guy sha...He should just retire.
I'm sorry for derailing o

Grand pa Buffon is a bad luck

Psg won’t win the champions league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:27pm On Aug 18, 2020
mrflex999:

Andrew my guy... grin

How far na.?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:28pm On Aug 18, 2020
komekn:

Liepzig are an attacking team that rely on fast attacking and the pace of their forwards. However, they have come against a team with more pace than they have.

And the small matter of Neymar and Mbappe.

As a criticism the forwards don't come back to defend.

It's now 3-0 can you see them coming back also don't forget Neymar has hit the cross bar twice already.

I was even more impressed with the build up plays of psg than the offensive show. Nagelsmann had a tight strategy to close up building spaces but I think Tuchel expected it because the offensive section kept dropping deeped and dweper to counter the press.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 10:28pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:

Why? If an experienced player is still very active in a top club or league, I think will prefer such player.

For example, I will choose Balogun over Adeboroye. I will prefer Iheancho over Desser. I will choose Ighalo over any striker and I will choose Victor Moses over any winger we have now. Why? These guys don get experience and they are still active.

Well , many factors are considered when making these decision. By the way who is Adeboroye ? For instance, you cant start a bench warmer like Ighalo when you have an compplete destroyer in Osimhen. Victor Moses will still sit on my bench even if he plays 90 minute in every game. Chukwueze is more of a team player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:29pm On Aug 18, 2020
Danielnino00:

Andrew my guy... grin

How far na.?

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:29pm On Aug 18, 2020
mrflex999:

OK sha ...make we dey look.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:30pm On Aug 18, 2020
Danielnino00:

Iheanacho is still part of the team... Balogun too.. the only reason they lost their starting shirts in the national team was due to lack of game time at their clubs..

Ighalo and Moses have capable substitutes in Osimhen, Simon, Chukwueze and Onyekuru...

Who else ?

Balogun has been disposed. Ighalo has ran for his dare life due to criticism. While Vicmo ran after what happened during the world camp.

I added Iheancho because he's currently doing well in EPL though not as expected and I think he has gained experience playing in a top league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 10:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
Subzero047:

I think you got it the other way, we have more attacking players but lack depth in midfield

I am not talking just players here. How many attacking midfielders do we parade today then compare that to all the Ndidi , Zuby , Aribo , Agu , Azeeze , Etebo etc. The only natural attacking midfielder we currently have now is Nwakali. Eberechi is still English and will play for them firstly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
IDENNAA:

I am not talking just players here. How many attacking midfielders do we parade today then compare that to all the Ndidi , Zuby , Aribo , Agu , Azeeze , Etebo etc. The only natural attacking midfielder we currently have now is Nwakali. Eberechi is still English and will play for them firstly.

Nwakali is a CM not an AM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 10:35pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:

Though Iheancho is not old.

Ighalo, Moses were not discarded though, they retired and Balogun was struggling with fitness and his lack of game time

I think we are as balanced as we can possibly be now with Musa, Ekong, Omeruo and Balogun still with the squad and knowing that Ekong and Omeruo are starters
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:36pm On Aug 18, 2020
IDENNAA:

Well , many factors are considered when making these decision. By the way who is Adeboroye ? For instance, you cant start a bench warmer like Ighalo when you have an compplete destroyer in Osimhen. Victor Moses will still sit on my bench even if he plays 90 minute in every game. Chukwueze is more of a team player.

Adeboroye got promoted to the EPL with West Bromwich and I heard he has agreed to play for Nigeria. I am not saying he should not be called oooo.

Don't forget he is warming bench in one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Something Osimhen will exchange for playing time in Napoli.

Victor Moses is not a team player but we saw how he singlehandedly helped us to win the African cup of Nations. Chuks is good but we saw how he was marked out in the cup of Nations against Algeria. That can never happen with Vicmo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:40pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:

Balogun has been disposed. Ighalo has ran for his dare life due to criticism. While Vicmo ran after what happened during the world camp.

I added Iheancho because he's currently doing well in EPL though not as expected and I think he has gained experience playing in a top league.

Balogun was disposed because he was not active at club level.. surely,you didn't expect us to be using a bench warmer when we have more capable players available..

If Ighalo ran because or criticism,then he is a coward because getting criticised is very normal for footballers.. As for Moses, we all know he was not really committed to the national team..
Iheanacho is still part of the team... he just lost his starting shirt, nothing more.

That being said, I don't see the kind of experience the aforementioned players have that we are missing in the super eagles...
We still have players like Ekong,Musa,Ndidi,Etebo and Iwobi who have been part of the team for long and played at 2 major tournaments plus their experience from playing at their club levels..

We are very much alright and can do without the "old players"..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:40pm On Aug 18, 2020
forgiveness:

Adeboroye got promoted to the EPL with West Bromwich and I heard he has agreed to play for Nigeria. I am not saying he should not be called oooo.

Don't forget he is warming bench in one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Something Osimhen will exchange for playing time in Napoli.

Victor Moses is not a team player but we saw how he singlehandedly helped us to win the African cup of Nations. Chuks is good but we saw how he was marked out in the cup of Nations against Algeria. That can never happen with Vicmo.

Bro who is Adeboroye please? I honestly haven't heard such name before. You meant Adeboye or Adebayo?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:41pm On Aug 18, 2020
Edopesin:

Ighalo, Moses were not discarded though, they retired and Balogun was struggling with fitness and his lack of game time

I think we are as balanced as we can possibly be now with Musa, Ekong, Omeruo and Balogun still with the squad and knowing that Ekong and Omeruo are starters

Bros, we know why they retired na. They were criticized unnecessarily.

Musa don they expire for my eyes except he moves to a better league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:41pm On Aug 18, 2020
ChrisKels:

grin

Behave o .

grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (9283) (9284) (9285) (9286) (9287) (9288) (9289) ... (16209) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Jefersoun, EEGA, humility33(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.