Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,129 members, 7,849,525 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:20 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9694) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11857219 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9691) (9692) (9693) (9694) (9695) (9696) (9697) ... (16248) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:54am On Oct 07, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Lol... I saw mine on twitter. He posted "Vibes" and a Brazilian fan of his came under the post/tweet to advertise one of our top jerseys from the 90s (shown below). I was like "mehn, so even Samba guys dey gbadun Naija footie tins" grin

Nike really need to reproduce this kit....
Maybe for Qatar...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jargooflife912(m): 12:04pm On Oct 07, 2020
This UK guy really hate Osimhen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:09pm On Oct 07, 2020
Naah Elyte Man. Not enraged at all. Just shaking my head at the pettiness of some. It's well.

Anyway, Thank you Elyte. You speak Wisdom. Merci beaucoup.

For this, I have doubled your Haaland subscription duration to 1200 years of free Haaland updates. grin grin

elyte89:

Guy u av said it all...nobody is paying u a kobo for dis... But I don't get y u re enraging abt dis cos u feel some ppu are not "acknowledging ur exclusive news to u"..if u re sincere abt it ..den u shldnt b bodad abt what oda ppu think with ur "source" in eagles camp,except odawise, weda its fake or not or u re usurping oda ppus content...
Once u re sincere with it,den u shldnt b bodad ..so continue,we dey enjoy am cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:13pm On Oct 07, 2020
andrewbaba44:

And just imagine me thinking the Jersey is not that beautiful

Lol.... That's the funny part. Then only for you to see how the same jerseys, you don't really like, are being adored by foreigners and even other football players and the media and you go come dey ask yourself if your eyes are okay or if you need an eye test. Hehehehehehe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:20pm On Oct 07, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Lol.... That's the funny part. Then only for you to see how the same jerseys, you don't really like, are being adored by foreigners and even other football players and the media and you go come dey ask yourself if your eyes are okay or if you need an eye test. Hehehehehehe

Omo this one weak me Abeg

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:21pm On Oct 07, 2020
jargooflife912:
This UK guy really hate Osimhen

You mean kome ?

You never see anything grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2020
Mickael2:

You have been trusting Rohr since 2017, hasn't worked much has it?
Micheal is here. I hail bro!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2020
Oluislong:
Just to clarify some things cos of all the arguments going on about exclusives or no exclusives.

Toyin Ibitoye said in an interview on lagos talks today that Tobias Lawal was originally invited but was dropped because he wasn't sure of his availability before he later called that he was going to be available.

Also Tobi Adelakun said Ehizibue is being delayed in his own words "he has issues with his immigration status in Holland and once it's sorted he'll be a part of the team"

Good Morning everyone

Why was he not sure about his availability initially? Was it due to his lack of conviction or doubt that he was gonna be good enough for us, as said by Thesupernerd's sources?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2020
O pari exponent welcome back grin

Yeah Aribo has been injured since mid september. he should be fit for november fingers crossed

Icon79:
Is Aribo injured as well? I thought only Ndidi and Etebo are missing? No??

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oluislong: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2020
ChrisKels:

Why was he not sure about his availability initially? Was it due to his lack of conviction or doubt that he was gonna be good enough for us, as said by Thesupernerd's sources?

He didn't specify.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:40pm On Oct 07, 2020
Danielnino00:

4 goals and 3 assists in 37 games for an attacking midfielder is poor..
Iwobi churns out better stats than that...

Scroll up well,u will see where I mentioned that I wasn't too happy that he wasn't called up after the world cup because we were short of creative options in midfield,even though Eze himself wasn't very impressive...

It wasn't until last season that he really hit form....
So Rohr's decision to ignore him wasn't totally wrong...

That's double standard.

What had Iwobi done before he was invited to the SE.

What had Osimhen, Nwakali both brothers done, as well.

What had Tijani done to justify a call up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Naah Elyte Man. Not enraged at all. Just shaking my head at the pettiness of some. It's well.

Anyway, Thank you Elyte. You speak Wisdom. Merci beaucoup.

For this, I have doubled your Haaland subscription duration to 1200 years of free Haaland updates. grin grin

Guy calm down, no one drops anything here without being challenged, not Tbaba, not Icon4s, not Komekn, not Forgiveness, not anybody. Even outside here, we challenge renowned news breakers like Manu Lunjion, Fabrizio Romano, Akatugba, reputable sites et al. Why are you getting yourself all walked up over things you can't control? As long as you clean, you shouldn't bother how anybody takes your message or info. Ahhhh kilode?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2020
Live session with Kevin is done.

He seemed enthusiastic about everything. It's actually genuine enthusiasm. I can tell you for free he didn't fake it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 12:49pm On Oct 07, 2020
Mickael2:

That's only if you accept mediocrity though. If you think top 30 is good enough then no problem.

Cc. Michael2, where have you been? Assuming its same Michael we all know here.

Reminds me of goldfish...Bobo can argue till eternity
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:50pm On Oct 07, 2020
guy don fat shocked

that's the thing about cadet level the conversion rate is so low

TheSuperNerd:
Just finding out that former Nigerian U-17 star to UAE 2013 WC, Chidera Ezeh is now with FC Vizela in the Portuguese second tier (Liga Pro).

Joined as a free agent for three seasons after contract expired at Portimonense.

Another lad that just went down the path of obscurity. Smh. It's well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:53pm On Oct 07, 2020
Where are the Iwobi critics now?

The Everton playmaker has bounced back in the last fortnight, silencing critics who mocked following non-appearances at the start of the season

Football fans’ overly reactionary nature never gets old. One minute everything is well and rosy and the very next moment, the sky may be falling...well, according to them.

Alex Iwobi, not for the first time in his career, has been on the receiving end of both sides of observers' fickleness in the last month or thereabouts. After the signings of James Rodriguez — the Colombia playmaker, who’s raised the level at Everton exponentially — Abdoulaye Doucoure and Allan in the summer, many immediately claimed the Nigerian would be sidelined by Carlo Ancelotti.

This prognosis seemed odd because: James predominantly operates in the hole, Doucoure as a box-to-box midfielder and the former Napoli man in a blue-collar role in the middle of the park. On first viewing, these signings weren’t direct competitors for Iwobi’s place in the side, so where were the Chicken Little opinions originating from?

Regardless, these alarmists seemed overjoyed when the Nigerian was left out completely in the Toffees’ hugely impressive 1-0 success over Tottenham Hotspur in gameweek one. The knives were already out, so, unsurprisingly, they twisted it pre and post-match, making the West African the butt of their jokes.

When the former Arsenal man was then left out of Everton’s EFL Cup clash at Salford City three days later, with 19-year-old Anthony Gordon preferred in the XI, the handwriting looked to be on the wall.

Despite the omissions from the squad, there was always a feeling that Iwobi was good enough to play in Ancelotti’s side, albeit intermittently. Being left out was strange, largely due to the fact the 24-year-old featured heavily at the backend of last season, having recovered from an injury that saw him lose ground in trying to impress Marco Silva’s replacement.

The schadenfreude that accompanied the Nigeria star’s initial lack of game time seem to have been overreactions, evidenced by the swift change in fortunes since an encouraging cup showing at Fleetwood Town on September 23.

Iwobi’s pair of goal contributions stood out — particularly the back-heeled assist for Richarlison’s second of the night — but his low-key involvement in two of Everton’s other three goals in that 5-2 success didn’t get mentioned.

Having had to bide his time in the Premier League — first being out of the side totally and then making do with cameos here and there — an injury to Richarlison in the 25th minute in Saturday’s entertaining 4-2 success over Brighton & Hove Albion presented the ex-Arsenal man with an opportunity to feature for an hour.

It’s safe to say that he took his chance, assisting Rodriguez's first of the afternoon and playing in Doucoure brilliantly in the build-up to the South American’s second. The Nigerian was involved in two goal-creating actions, tied with James, and as many shot-creating actions, only the former Real Madrid and Watford stars had more.

With two passes into the penalty area, Iwobi was joint-highest on the Everton side — level with Tom Davies and Lucas Digne, despite playing 66 minutes to the pair’s 90 — while he sat joint-fourth having attempted three progressive passes at Goodison Park — the three players with a higher volume except for James (77) played the entirety of the encounter

For those interested in raw numbers, Iwobi’s assist at the weekend was his first in the Premier League since moving to Merseyside. He’s now equalled his meagre goal contribution of one from 19/20 and, barring injury or a lack of games should outdo last term’s league return.

Even though — for the umpteenth time — the playmaker will probably never rack up goals and assists, the paucity of last year’s return was striking and disappointing.

If the recent performances are anything to go by, it only confirms what was already known. Iwobi might never be a key star in a side, a la James, neither is he likely to raise the level of a team and lead them to titles...and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

He’ll not get tonnes of goal contributions as what he does is more subtle. In 19/20 the Nigerian ranked third for in-play passes leading to shots in the Everton side and was sixth for shot-creating actions per 90.

Furthermore, the attacking midfielder was sixth for volume of progressive passes played, the only wideman or attacking midfielder in that top bracket, and played the second-highest passes into the penalty area. Also, the fact that he ranked fourth for total key passes played, too, indicated some promise going into his second season.

Given the injection of quality into the Toffees this season, Iwobi’s likely to thrive especially alongside someone of James’ presence and ability. After a topsy-turvy maiden campaign at the blue half of Merseyside, the West African star certainly has a role to play in this Everton side, even though appearances could be in fits and starts.

It’s a scenario detractors of the Nigerian probably never imagined when they went extreme on the wisecracks after the initial non-appearance at the start of the season. Following the reinstatement of the former Arsenal prodigy, it’s largely gone quiet from the fault-finders in the last few days.

Hello naysayers, the deafening silence since Saturday has been convenient, if not laughable!

Source: Goal.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2020
I believe the evidences vindicate me further and have taken me over these paths. And I also believe you are paraphrasing Elyte89's words. So please stop taking me back.

ChrisKels:

Guy calm down, no one drops anything here without being challenged, not Tbaba, not Icon4s, not Komekn, not Forgiveness, not anybody. Even outside here, we challenge renowned news breakers like Manu Lunjion, Fabrizio Romano, Akatugba, reputable sites et al. Why are you getting yourself all walked up over things you can't control? As long as you clean, you shouldn't bother how anybody takes your message or info. Ahhhh kilode?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2020
Lol... What were you expecting? The Young shall grow naa. grin

chrisooblog:
guy don fat shocked

that's the thing about cadet level the conversion rate is so low

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2020
Philosopher1979:

Musa was badly coached when he was a teenager. I suspect most (not all) Nigerian coaches lack adequate knowledge of football and it shows in the talented but raw players they produce

It is not only nigerian footballers that have to go abroad but NIGERIAN COACHES HAVE TO GO TO EUROPE OR GET EXPOSED TO HAVE THEIR KNOWLEDGE UPDATED.
i even think exposing Nigerian coaches will be better. One good coach can priduce 30 good players. Its something that has to be taken seriously.
Honestly you are right my man on upgrading of our coaches but I disagree that Musa was badly coached by Nigeria coach?Pls if I may ask is Finidi George badly coached by Nigeria coach?

Musa remain one of the best winger to come out of Nigeria with Segun Odegbami and Finidi George.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2020
I still will not start Iwobi. He is not a playmaker in my books.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 1:12pm On Oct 07, 2020
barackodam:
Live session with Kevin is done.

He seemed enthusiastic about everything. It's actually genuine enthusiasm. I can tell you for free he didn't fake it

Says he grew up watching Jay Jay, and he watched Obafemi. Jay played for Frankfurt and Martins played for Wolfsburg. He said he proceeded to following them up at Bolton and Newcastle respectively.

He said he did eat Pounded Yam and pepper soup while he were young, but it wasn't often as Dad was hardly around.

He doesn't know any Nigerian musician(i'm not surprised because Germany isn't our place grin), but lately he's noticed Burna because he does UK shows. He mentioned another musician who he thought was a Nigerian but actually isn't.

He relished back when he were a 16yo and visited Nigeria and that he still has family here in Nigeria.

And he's an Urhobo from Delta state(i always thought he were Igbo).

Says he understands the language(didn't say which), but he can't speak it.

And to the person who said his English isn't sound. That's not true. His English is very good, for a German.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2020
Kog45:
Honestly you are right my man on upgrading of our coaches but I disagree that Musa was badly coached by Nigeria coach?Pls if I may ask is Finidi George badly coached by Nigeria coach?

Musa remain one of the best winger to come out of Nigeria with Segun Odegbami and Finidi George.

This is not just about the coaches but the entire system is wack. There is no room for players development. Some of these players doesn't even last a season. There is absolutely no provision for player development that is why most players who go to Europe from local clubs never made it, they lacked the right tutelage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2020
The new venue for our match. How true is this?

Worthersee Stadium Austria

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2020
ChrisKels:

Much better, I hope it's true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:22pm On Oct 07, 2020
ChrisKels:

Read on allnigeria dt d venue has been changed smiley...awaiting our "sources" to confirm dis cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 1:27pm On Oct 07, 2020
What if Rohr starts Iheanacho tomorrow?. Hmm....God forbid bad thing angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:29pm On Oct 07, 2020
Curtisaxel7:

Dis yeye man is back grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 1:29pm On Oct 07, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Where are the Iwobi critics now?

The Everton playmaker has bounced back in the last fortnight, silencing critics who mocked following non-appearances at the start of the season

Football fans’ overly reactionary nature never gets old. One minute everything is well and rosy and the very next moment, the sky may be falling...well, according to them.

Alex Iwobi, not for the first time in his career, has been on the receiving end of both sides of observers' fickleness in the last month or thereabouts. After the signings of James Rodriguez — the Colombia playmaker, who’s raised the level at Everton exponentially — Abdoulaye Doucoure and Allan in the summer, many immediately claimed the Nigerian would be sidelined by Carlo Ancelotti.

This prognosis seemed odd because: James predominantly operates in the hole, Doucoure as a box-to-box midfielder and the former Napoli man in a blue-collar role in the middle of the park. On first viewing, these signings weren’t direct competitors for Iwobi’s place in the side, so where were the Chicken Little opinions originating from?

Regardless, these alarmists seemed overjoyed when the Nigerian was left out completely in the Toffees’ hugely impressive 1-0 success over Tottenham Hotspur in gameweek one. The knives were already out, so, unsurprisingly, they twisted it pre and post-match, making the West African the butt of their jokes.

When the former Arsenal man was then left out of Everton’s EFL Cup clash at Salford City three days later, with 19-year-old Anthony Gordon preferred in the XI, the handwriting looked to be on the wall.

Despite the omissions from the squad, there was always a feeling that Iwobi was good enough to play in Ancelotti’s side, albeit intermittently. Being left out was strange, largely due to the fact the 24-year-old featured heavily at the backend of last season, having recovered from an injury that saw him lose ground in trying to impress Marco Silva’s replacement.

The schadenfreude that accompanied the Nigeria star’s initial lack of game time seem to have been overreactions, evidenced by the swift change in fortunes since an encouraging cup showing at Fleetwood Town on September 23.

Iwobi’s pair of goal contributions stood out — particularly the back-heeled assist for Richarlison’s second of the night — but his low-key involvement in two of Everton’s other three goals in that 5-2 success didn’t get mentioned.

Having had to bide his time in the Premier League — first being out of the side totally and then making do with cameos here and there — an injury to Richarlison in the 25th minute in Saturday’s entertaining 4-2 success over Brighton & Hove Albion presented the ex-Arsenal man with an opportunity to feature for an hour.

It’s safe to say that he took his chance, assisting Rodriguez's first of the afternoon and playing in Doucoure brilliantly in the build-up to the South American’s second. The Nigerian was involved in two goal-creating actions, tied with James, and as many shot-creating actions, only the former Real Madrid and Watford stars had more.

With two passes into the penalty area, Iwobi was joint-highest on the Everton side — level with Tom Davies and Lucas Digne, despite playing 66 minutes to the pair’s 90 — while he sat joint-fourth having attempted three progressive passes at Goodison Park — the three players with a higher volume except for James (77) played the entirety of the encounter

For those interested in raw numbers, Iwobi’s assist at the weekend was his first in the Premier League since moving to Merseyside. He’s now equalled his meagre goal contribution of one from 19/20 and, barring injury or a lack of games should outdo last term’s league return.

Even though — for the umpteenth time — the playmaker will probably never rack up goals and assists, the paucity of last year’s return was striking and disappointing.

If the recent performances are anything to go by, it only confirms what was already known. Iwobi might never be a key star in a side, a la James, neither is he likely to raise the level of a team and lead them to titles...and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

He’ll not get tonnes of goal contributions as what he does is more subtle. In 19/20 the Nigerian ranked third for in-play passes leading to shots in the Everton side and was sixth for shot-creating actions per 90.

Furthermore, the attacking midfielder was sixth for volume of progressive passes played, the only wideman or attacking midfielder in that top bracket, and played the second-highest passes into the penalty area. Also, the fact that he ranked fourth for total key passes played, too, indicated some promise going into his second season.

Given the injection of quality into the Toffees this season, Iwobi’s likely to thrive especially alongside someone of James’ presence and ability. After a topsy-turvy maiden campaign at the blue half of Merseyside, the West African star certainly has a role to play in this Everton side, even though appearances could be in fits and starts.

It’s a scenario detractors of the Nigerian probably never imagined when they went extreme on the wisecracks after the initial non-appearance at the start of the season. Following the reinstatement of the former Arsenal prodigy, it’s largely gone quiet from the fault-finders in the last few days.

Hello naysayers, the deafening silence since Saturday has been convenient, if not laughable!

Source: Goal.

Wow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:29pm On Oct 07, 2020
elyte89:

Read on allnigeria dt d venue has been changed smiley...awaiting our "sources" to confirm dis cool

I just hope it is true, I almost lost interest in the match when I saw the pictures of the previous courtyard called stadium, that was scheduled to host the matches
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 1:29pm On Oct 07, 2020
Curtisaxel7:

Hahahahahahaha why
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 1:30pm On Oct 07, 2020
elyte89:

U no go kill me... Sauce kor, Maggi Ni.... Hahahahaha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Melvinity: 1:31pm On Oct 07, 2020
barackodam:

Says he grew up watching Jay Jay, and he watched Obafemi. Jay played for Frankfurt and Martins played for Wolfsburg. He said he proceeded to following them up at Bolton and Newcastle respectively.

He said he did eat Pounded Yam and pepper soup while he were young, but it wasn't often as Dad was hardly around.

He doesn't know any Nigerian musician(i'm not surprised because Germany isn't our place grin), but lately he's noticed Burna because he does UK shows. He mentioned another musician who he thought was a Nigerian but actually isn't.

He relished back when he were a 16yo and visited Nigeria and that he still has family here in Nigeria.

And he's an Urhobo from Delta state(i always thought he were Igbo).

Says he understands the language(didn't say which), but he can't speak it.

And to the person who said his English isn't sound. That's not true. His English is very good, for a German.

Nice one..... More of it pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (9691) (9692) (9693) (9694) (9695) (9696) (9697) ... (16248) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lelion, superbloke(m), ChrisKels, komekn(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.