Stats: 3,152,769 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni (692 Views)

Is This The Reason Private Universities Graduate More 1st Class Students? Pic / Ahmad Idris Kareka Graduates With 1st Class From Shenyang University Technology / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by DangotePikin: 5:20pm On Apr 10, 2016
10 LOGICAL AND SINCERE REASONS WHY PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES SHOULD (IDEALLY) ALWAYS HAVE MORE FIRST CLASS
STUDENTS THAN PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES

To every rule, there are always exceptions. There might be some outliers to these rules. Also, when I say private universities, I mean good private universities, like Covenant, Babcock, etc.

1. Educational background and foundations

I attended a public model college in Lagos state. I spent six years in my school hostel. My secondary school is one of the most preferred (and best) model colleges in Nigeria. We have won variety of national awards. I don't want to mention the name of my school here for privacy reasons. One unique thing about my school was that we were always given positions at the end of each term (even at senior level). I was not always the best, but I was definitely always part of the top 10 best in my set, out of about 300+ students (ss1 to ss2). Out of about 200+ commercial and science students only 12 of us were selected to write Further mathematics in WAEC and I was one of them. And I had a credit in it. We were exactly 359 that graduated in my set. Why am I telling you the story of my academic life? My classmates in private unis today are the ones that were always tops when we were in sec school. And the students that are always behind in my class are all in public universities today.

Secondly, many private university students went to very good primary and secondary schools. I have taught in public secondary schools, so I know what is involved there most times. I don't envy students in many sub-standard public secondary schools. Do you think students in these sub-standard no tuition primary and secondary schools will be able to afford private unis? I still keep in touch with the students I taught, and NONE of them is in a private uni today. This does not mean that they are all dull, at least I am sure of the ability of just one of my student, but my point here is that majority of the students from sub-standard secondary schools will end up in public unis!

I hope I have been able to establish that the educational foundation of more than 50% of the students in public universities is not as good as that of about 70% of their private counterparts. This will eventually lead to poorer grades in public unis. The likelihood of having very poor grades in public unis are quite high.

2. Monetary prowess
When there is money you learn faster and you enjoy education. Students in private universities are able to really focus on the primary reason why they are in school. They are able to practicalise what is being learnt more easily since the funds are readily available to them.

3. Distractions
There are so many distractions in public universities. Private universities restricts her students to what really matters. This will invariably affect the final grades of the student.

4. Comfortability
This is closely related to "Distractions". Private uni students are generally more comfortable than public uni students. They have constant electricity, internet, water, etc. This makes learning easier. When assignments are given in public uni that requires internet, the student might not be able to do it fast. But that is not the case with private unis. Private university students are more spontaneous in answering questions because of ease of access.

5. Lecturers are sincere
Lecturers in private universities will always give you what you scored. This might not be the case in some public universities. But I want to believe this was a thing of the past.

Bonus point: I know of students that got a second class upper from Covenant University, they came to UI for their masters, because they could not afford the postgraduate fee of CU, and today they are even beating UI and other public uni first class students in terms of CGPA. If you doubt me, send me a DM, I will give you details. I am very concerned about my privacy else I will shed more light here.
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 10, 2016
Right
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by Olaskybab: 5:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
DangotePikin:
10 LOGICAL AND SINCERE REASONS WHY PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES SHOULD (IDEALLY) ALWAYS HAVE MORE FIRST CLASS
STUDENTS THAN PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES

To every rule, there are always exceptions. There might be some outliers to these rules. Also, when I say private universities, I mean good private universities, like Covenant, Babcock, etc.

1. Educational background and foundations

I attended a public model college in Lagos state. I spent six years in my school hostel. My secondary school is one of the most preferred (and best) model colleges in Nigeria. We have won variety of national awards. I don't want to mention the name of my school here for privacy reasons. One unique thing about my school was that we were always given positions at the end of each term (even at senior level). I was not always the best, but I was definitely always part of the top 10 best in my set, out of about 300+ students (ss1 to ss2). Out of about 200+ commercial and science students only 12 of us were selected to write Further mathematics in WAEC and I was one of them. And I had a credit in it. We were exactly 359 that graduated in my set. Why am I telling you the story of my academic life? My classmates in private unis today are the ones that were always tops when we were in sec school. And the students that are always behind in my class are all in public universities today.

Secondly, many private university students went to very good primary and secondary schools. I have taught in public secondary schools, so I know what is involved there most times. I don't envy students in many sub-standard public secondary schools. Do you think students in these sub-standard no tuition primary and secondary schools will be able to afford private unis? I still keep in touch with the students I taught, and NONE of them is in a private uni today. This does not mean that they are all dull, at least I am sure of the ability of just one of my student, but my point here is that majority of the students from sub-standard secondary schools will end up in public unis!

I hope I have been able to establish that the educational foundation of more than 50% of the students in public universities is not as good as that of about 70% of their private counterparts. This will eventually lead to poorer grades in public unis. The likelihood of having very poor grades in public unis are quite high.

2. Monetary prowess
When there is money you learn faster and you enjoy education. Students in private universities are able to really focus on the primary reason why they are in school. They are able to practicalise what is being learnt more easily since the funds are readily available to them.

3. Distractions
There are so many distractions in public universities. Private universities restricts her students to what really matters. This will invariably affect the final grades of the student.

4. Comfortability
This is closely related to "Distractions". Private uni students are generally more comfortable than public uni students. They have constant electricity, internet, water, etc. This makes learning easier. When assignments are given in public uni that requires internet, the student might not be able to do it fast. But that is not the case with private unis. Private university students are more spontaneous in answering questions because of ease of access.

5. Lecturers are sincere
Lecturers in private universities will always give you what you scored. This might not be the case in some public universities. But I want to believe this was a thing of the past.

Bonus point: I know of students that got a second class upper from Covenant University, they came to UI for their masters, because they could not afford the postgraduate fee of CU, and today they are even beating UI and other public uni first class students in terms of CGPA. If you doubt me, send me a DM, I will give you details. I am very concerned about my privacy else I will shed more light here.
Lol... I dey com sha,I nvr get ur time nw
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by ReverseEngineer: 5:44pm On Apr 10, 2016
Op, I know this is a conscious attempt to debunk this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/3040194/private-universities-facilities-analysis#44581872

But, as opposed to the caption of your thread, your analysis is quite illogical. Where are your analogical deductions? or you just come up with a thread and expect nairalanders to accept it hook line and sinker? No, I trust they're more intelligent.
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by Donnetimmy(m): 5:52pm On Apr 10, 2016
If you can survive in a public university then you can survive anywhere

#TeamPublicUniversity cool
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by babyfaceafrica: 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
Disagree
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by 4kings: 8:10am On Dec 15, 2016
Agree
Re: 10 Logical Reasons Why Private/uni Shud Always Have More 1st Class Than Publ/uni by amokeme(f): 9:09am On Dec 15, 2016
Number 5 is the actual and to some extent the only reason I can see.

Uniport Students Protest On School Fees Payment / What Is The Maximum Amount I Can Have In My Gtcrea8 Account?? / E